the Rift

[OPEN] Take my passport out again [any]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
They tell me I'm too young to understand
They say I'm caught up in a dream

It felt more appropriate to be doing this with the cursed heat of possibly the hottest of any of Tallsun’s days on record, bearing down miserably across the desert- Silas did not agree. Surely it would earn her brownie-points from the God of the Sun.

With streams of free flowing sweat dribbling from her boiling body (little waterfalls piddling across the searing red-gold sand beneath and evaporating on contact); Africa collected the last of her treasured possessions which were compiled carefully in the furthest corner of their little den. She had crossed her home twice already that day, unfortunately, having collected throughout her time in Helovia quite an elaborate array of noteworthy bits and pieces- shells, unusually shaped or particularly beautiful (while they were still living) leaves, seed pods and withered flowers; pretty much anything and everything that had caught the lore-loving mare’s wonder filled gaze, and captivated the bright imagination behind it. All had been kept as ornaments; embellishments for an otherwise bland nest, to refresh fading memories that she wished never to lose.

The little failsafe shelter had served her well and more recently, had weathered comfortably enough her avian companion also. Wistfully; as though fantastical memoirs lines every rough, shadow-lined wall, she lifted the last of her belongings all snuggly wrapped within a fresh, green fern leaf that she had searched for the night prior. Slowly she cast a long sweeping final glance around the place and bid it a final farewell. The impression where she bedded still sank into the centre, though now her shuffling about had disfigured it some, and with the bundle swinging precariously between tightly clenched teeth, Africa delicately remade it- an appreciative, respectful gesture, even though the den held neither the ability to feel her tenderness nor see the effort. Then quickly, she turned tightly and slipped out through the gap-door and set out east with a blanket of smothering sunlight heavy across her back.

Midday was upon them, heat constantly rippling and blurring the lines of the horizon. Despite the temperature, Silas was nestled rather comfortably into the crudely thorned frond of a large, shabby palm, enveloped by the tropical tree’s minor shade. He watched with a turned face as the lathered, heaving mare trudged towards the oasis where he had been waiting and observing for a good part of the day. A light squawk greeted her, though he did not move from his roost; never fluffed a feather in sympathy. The shrewd zephyr was a creature of instinct, and while he could not fulfil his great nocturnal will, Silas was not about to expose himself- like his brave beloved, to the full brutality of the sun above. He clucked soundly as she passed beneath, sparing him only the slightest of glances while trying to quell inner resentment so he did not notice.

As she neared the Throat; the vast blue lake whose motionless waters were perpetually sweet and cool, Africa paused in a cloud of thick shade to place her bundle and saunter down for a quick dip- her body ached with heat-stress and the silly creature’s stomach was lurching too, overwhelmed and exhausted. She did not plough right down like a boulder down a cliff- the one-winged Oracle lowered her lips first, to graze and then dabble across the shining surface. Pale yellow eyes roved the embankment surrounding for sight or sound of any nearby, but it seemed that her kin were elsewhere, undoubtedly tending to herd duties. Slowly she descended forward, easing first her already soaked legs into the biting cold; and then her shoulders, barrel and hind-quarters each with the same graceful gradualness. Eventually she was submerged; all but the pinched upturned flap of her charcoal nostrils, and instantly she felt better.

credits

Shadow Posts: 153
Deceased atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14.2 :: 8 HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Chan

Of course she couldn't see anyone. It would have been embarrassing for the Sleuth if her dark colored body could be that easily spotted, even by a herd-sister. It would be an understatement to say that she was pleased as Africa's gaze swept over her where she huddled in the deep shadows beneath the trees, fur still moist from her recent soaking in the cool waters.

The Oasis was the only reason the black mare was able to survive the desert at all. She had yet to adapt to the harsh climate; the hollow strands of her thick coat were made to keep out cold winds and frozen precipitation, not withstand the relentless beating of a white-hot sun for months on end. The tips of each strand had been bleached into a rusty brown, she always felt covered with a layer of grime and dust and sand crunched between the teeth every time she ate.

Even so, the blackbird couldn't think of a better place to be in the world. This was HOME, the place she had been looking for ever since life as a vagabond and a nomad had become unbearable and painful. The stallions that led them were her brothers, the mare that slowly submerged herself in the liquid depths was her sister - a sister she knew exceedingly little about, but a sister none the less. Their ties were not of blood or history, but rather of a common wish. To live in the land of the sun, to coexist and try to survive each day, and perhaps become a little wiser for it in the process.

Maybe it was curiosity that made the shadow-born pegasus relax and allow the layer of twisted light that had kept her unnoticeable to disappear. Once the dappled girl resurfaced she would be met with a pair of fierce, unyielding eyes and ebony lips pulled back into a wry, amused grin. Round black ears would be pricked her way, and a voice, sightly hoarse and deep as raging rivers, soft as evening winds, warm as a mothers embrace drifted across the surface of the lake.

"Silly girl, don't you know to stay still when the sun is at its peak? If you want to kill yourself there are better ways to go about than being fried alive, I assure you." The raven inched over to the edge of the vast expanse of water, movements slow and awkward due to the every growing belly that now had become impossible to hide (even though she still tried to, covering it with the feathered wings) and dipped the nose below the surface. Drinking deeply from the life-saving waters, she didn't linger long under the glaring sunlight; as soon as she was done the short mare waddled back into the shade, gesturing with a shrug of a wing for the one-winged girl to follow.

Can't have her faint from sunburn, now could they...

Caught a bird and let it go, had a rope and don't you know
When I pulled it down, it settled on the ground
Caught a bird and in a trap, had a lot to give back
When the sun came by you opened up your eyes
image credits

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP: 42
Healed

Deceased

Enough was enough.

Africa felt with a twinge of guilty restlessness, that she had devoted enough moving time soaking her burning dappled coat and weary aching muscles. Individually, the slippery dry sand covering the desert, and the obnoxious shed of sunlight were trying enough- but the rash young mare had chosen to tackle both at once today, in the hope that her effort might please the God her new role wished to favour; because he was the God of the Sun, and she was so utterly thankful he had risen her to be this herd’s Oracle.

She felt renewed enough, even after just minutes, though the stark chill of the water had leaked between the clench of her lashes and the pale eyes beneath did sting a little. Africa was no fish, and with thrusting, awkward strides turned her weightless bulk around, sliding a little more quickly from the fluids tight grip than she had entered. Blurry eyes blinked away the beading water, alternating the flick of each lid to avoid the influx of bright, unadulterated light hurting them further.
The warmth of the air embraced her saturated, dripping body as it finally emerged from the lake, pausing to shake with knees still trapped beneath, and hooves sucked below the muddy sand-line. It was a hefty action, and crystal-like beads sprayed away from her in a shimmering shower. At last, when her pale eyes opened they were caught immediately in the web cast by an intimidating, predator like stare.

With a start and reeling stomach Africa stumbled backwards into the water, an instinctive response, though the owner of those shining, unwavering eyes; the focused, fixed ears and jet-black face beneath; the creepy voice to match, did not immediately follow like one hunting should. Carefully evaluating eyes traced the remaining figure (the unusually and quite noticeably engorged barrel), of a mare behind; a herd-sister; the Sleuth, Shadow!

The surge of resentment which rumbled in the base of Africa’s throat was swiftly quelled by the release of a half-hearted chuckle. It was a cruel joke (not that Shadow could have known the one-winged mare’s history with ravenous black monsters), though as her nerves began to settle beneath trembling skin, she did manage to find the lighter side of it. The dark mare’s voice faded into the chorus of lounging birdlife and she ambled forward, lowering lips to the water. “I am moving nests." Africa said brightly, eyes following the face of the other from above while she drank. They were two entirely different personalities, she thought quietly, failing to realise that she was staring rather bare-facedly as she considered her clan-mate; who was playful in exactly the reverse way. “I see your point though…" The quiet-hearted grey added slowly, cocking her head as the revelation of her absurdity sank in.

Shadow lifted from the Throat and turned, wobbling back to the tree line from which she had ‘pounced’- Africa accepted the slightly offhand gesture to follow and trotted lithely after; detouring for the briefest of moments to collect between her teeth once more, the makeshift basket housing her belongings.

Pulling into the black mare’s shady possie, the dappled Pegasus smiled broadly and plopped herself to the Sleuth’s side, facing the water. “Nice spot..." She motioned awkwardly, glancing by the dress of fronds and vegetation surrounding. Really, the pair were still strangers, but Africa liked the look of Shadow- no matter how rough around the edges she seemed to be. With a contented sigh she settled, parcel nestled against her fore-hooves.

credits

Chan

Dark brows raised slightly at the way the gray started, but didn't say anything about it. She supposed that it could be somewhat unnerving to find yourself face to face with a shadow, no matter how mortal; especially when one had considered themselves alone and undisturbed. The reaction still only added to the slight amusement of the marginally older pegasus, who somehow felt years older than the slender dove. Perhaps it was the softness of the eyes that did it, or the energy with which she moved; Shadow wasn't sure, but whatever it was she envied the Oracle her energy. The mere thought of stepping beyond the protective shade of the palm-trees was revolting, and frankly she didn't see the point in making the effort to move things around - could anything be of such worth that she would carry it from place to place?

Well, she thought as she settled down in the shade once more, perhaps she wasn't one to judge. The broken horn she had claimed as prize after her battle with a unicorn still rested in the fold of her wing, and wrapped around it was a yellow stone embedded in intricate metal lace. The blackbird wasn't sure why she kept the peculiar tokens with her, but something about them made it hard to let go. One was a proof of her own ability to defend the home, and the other... Well, it was pleasing to the eye, even though the chain was too short to fit around her neck.

Glistening purple eyes watched the one-winged mare beneath the thick, bushy forelock as she settled down, visibly uncomfortable. Another horse might have offered a reassuring smile, said something nonsensical and empty to break the silence. She didn't. There was no need to break the quiet unnecessarily; a slight nod was the only acknowledgment she gave to having heard her 'sister's comment.

Still, eventually her innate curiosity got the better of her. After a long while of eying the carefully wrapped leaf parcel the shadow stirred, oily feathers rustling as the wings seemed to swell;
"What do you have there?" she asked, voice neutral but the glittering gaze betraying her interest.

image credits

Healed

Deceased

A little time was left to pass before someone scrambled down the ridge of half-eroded embankment across the lake from where Africa huddled in the shade. Their face was pale beneath the sheer radiance of the sun- perhaps bald-white anyway, so Africa had some trouble placing upon them a name. Never the less she offered across the distance a friendly expression; a relaxed nod and a peaceful smile. After the slightest of exchanges, the Pegasus spread wide their grand wingspan and leapt into the still, dry air above the Throat leaving but the faintest ripple across the clear blue surface in their wake. The dapple grey watched quietly the marvel; the blessing, which once had been her gift also and her tail flicked idly back and forth across pointed charcoal hocks as she remembered the luxury of flight.

“Oh..." slipped softly through her lips when Shadow asked about collection. With a little less of the bubble which had sugar-coated her eagerness previously, Africa glanced down at her leaf-bound package with a delicate sigh. “Just some bits and pieces I have found here and there. Would you like to see?"
The Oracle explained with an easy smile turned towards the other mare. Already conscientious honey-yellow eyes had noted the curiosity glittering through the black Pegasus’ gaze, and she was leaning her neck downwards to allow her lips to unfold the enormous leaf.

Africa peeled the pack open to expose the contents- a large spiralled shell with frightfully sharp spines extending all the way along its tapering length, it was stripped bright brown and black; a dried pink starfish, which smelt almost as old as it looked; the acorn which had been abandoned by a startled Twix in the Threshold, and finally the remaining thin and brittle fragments of Silas’s egg shell- that which Africa had not realised her young companion had hatched from. Unsure if her treasures (all holding safely the memories of past excursions), would appeal to the black Sleuth, Africa glanced from them to her herd-mate curiously and asked earnestly, “Do you have anything special you have kept; things that keep old memories from fading?"

Africa knew little about Shadow- only that Midas was fond of her and that her talents lay well enough in the arts of stealth and espionage to award her the highest of the Throat’s titles in that field. So the question, though simple and seemingly insignificant in the grand scheme of life, was the dappled mare’s extension of interest; a show that she sought to learn more about her ‘sister’ and maybe lay the foundations which might unite them closer in the team.

Ooc: I’m so sorry, I haven’t had a chance to proof read this one. I will run over it a bit later when my daughter is in bed.

credits

Chan

She almost felt ashamed by how easily her curiosity was indulged. If it hadn't been for the shy eagerness with which Africa unraveled the makeshift parcel she would have told her to ignore the request, to not pay her any heed. But, done was done, and as she found herself faced with a set of items she usually would have regarded as nothing but trash and an anxious smile the blackbird made an effort to smile back. It was little more than a stretch of the lips, but the wish to be gentle with her company was reflected in the eyes, softening the orbs considerably.

"They are nice" she said, hoping that the words would appear more sincere than she felt. "I do like that shell... " This was actually true. The colors and the pattern appealed to her, as did the sharp spikes on it - perfect to throw at people you didn't like, delightfully dangerous if you happened to step on it. Yes, the sleuth rather enjoyed the seashell - albeit probably for different reasons than the downed dove.

As she was asked about her own treasures she was rather quick to nod, head reaching to the other side to pull them out from the ebony feathers, eager to shift the focus of attention away from her own reactions. Shadow wasn't good at this socializing thing, she never knew if her blunt personality and different perspectives would be tolerated by the others, or whether she would end up hurting with tactless remarks. For all that she was reluctant to let others close to the heart she didn't want to make them sad either - it was a difficult road to travel.

Pulling out the piece of horn and the bright yellow amulet she placed them on the ground next to Africa's trinkets and shrugged a little.
"Usually I don't carry things around" she said, giving the gray a quick glance. "I never stayed so long in one place that it was worthwhile to get attached to items and sceneries... These seasons are the longest I've ever lingered in one place."

Come to think of it, she had soon been a part of the Dragon's Throat for a year. The thought was mind boggling, but at the same time she couldn't believe how quickly time had passed. So much had happened since she had crashed to the ground from overexerting herself in a storm, only to be healed and brought along by Cirrus... The long winter of endless night, the coming of spring and gradual return of the gods, an invasion fought and won, the subsequent return of the sun as if the Fire Lord had been encouraged by the strength of the horses residing upon his lands. And it had been soon after that she came across Carnesîr... A faint sigh passed through the inky nostrils and with a shift of the wings to make them rest more comfortably against the swelling sides she returned to the present, nodding towards the items on the ground.

"The twig-like thing is a piece of unicorn horn" she revealed, eying Africa in search of expecting a reaction, whether positive or negative. "It snapped off from my opponent during the invasion, and I decided to keep it; mostly because it seemed to tick her off. And the stone I found as I drove her off... Not sure what it is, but since I found it just after winning the battle I decided to keep it as a token."

The smile turned slightly wry, her pride as she spoke of defeating her opponent apparent by the way the stubby neck swelled.

image credits

Healed

Deceased
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

Reassuringly, the black Pegasus mare looked over the treasures and seemed to select a favourite amongst them- the shell, which Africa quite admired also. She had found it late in the last Tallsun on the beach flanking below the Throat’s southern cliffs, washed up and quite empty. She could only guess which creature had dwelt within the smooth opening which lay hidden beneath the prickled, vivid exterior- a snail she liked to think, because those she had found on dry land appeared so frail and defenceless; she toyed with the idea that their ocean bound cousins were fiercely defended in the fashion of the shell, or maybe were even predators in comparison.

The subtle nervousness knotted across her lean, graceful form seemed to ease then, and Africa felt a little less awkward for showing Shadow the collection. Perhaps one day if she felt so inclined, they might peep through the rest which had already been transported nearby to the Diviner’s Fire.

As the Sleuth turned to scout through glossy black feathers, Africa held her breath in well concealed excitement- hardly able to believe that one so dissimilar to herself would also be a hoarder. When the two items were plucked and set beside the grey’s pile, pale yellowy eyes stared down across them, inspecting each dutifully with a complimentary nod, perhaps a little overdramatically (in case it might indulge Shadow more). It seemed they did have a little in common, and Africa was more than satisfied; in fact quietly thankful for the mutual point of topic.

Right away the curious young Pegasus wanted to ask about the other mare’s travels, intrigued, because she had only truly lived in two places throughout her entire life- her parent’s cliff nest back in Nyorm, and Helovia more recently. She held the compulsion tactfully though, and smiled modestly instead. A foolish mind and too-fast tongue had caused her much grief already, and Africa’s once childish manner was becoming much wiser for the spell of unfortunate experiences, notched right there, into her girth. She was finding more and more often that contained enthusiasm was far better received than flooding, gushing unbridled emotion. With the sudden swell of maturity, came a more perceptive and more expressively reserved character.

Shadow explained to Africa that the stick was a unicorn’s horn, though the young dapple grey’s eyes were already parting uneasily at the sudden revelation of what she was gazing at; ears falling backwards into the loose, oily tangle of her mottled mane. Almost instantly she felt a throb high upon her rump; where Deimos’s cruel sword had pierced her coupe; where the scar still glistened harshly. Fighting ferociously a flood of terrible memories Africa nodded with gritted teeth and a forced smile- she was propped slightly back away from where the horn lay before her, across tightly coiled haunches. There was little she could do to hide the instinctive reaction, though she tried to appreciate its worth, heartily, for Shadow.

Her wing had been taken for much the same reason.

“Is that a Sun Amulet?” She asked quickly, gesturing with the remaining wing partly uncurled and nudging towards the pretty stone. It looked a little like her own; secured around her neck beside its Earth equivalent with a bright, clean gold chain. Midas had clarified to the once ignorant grey the concept surrounding Amulets and their powers and Africa was fairly certain that was what lay now, beside the clutter of items, in the cool of the shade.

Ooc: I hope you don’t mind me changing tables part way through this thread :3