the Rift

[PRIVATE] little bird, fly away

Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

Alleo blinked his bi-colored eyes as strands of his mane whipped around his neck and face, some of them stinging his eyes. He stood at the border of the Foothills gazing at the horizon when his mane wasn't attacking his eyes, and thinking about what exactly was out there. He wasn't so rooted in the Foothills as he would have liked to have been. The constant changes in leadership, the weakening borders, the seeming lack of enthusiasm from any of its members were taking a toll on him, yet he stuck around. For what? His sisters. Wherever they were was were he was. He had to watch over them, take care of them, guide them. It was his duty as their big brother and it was a duty that he had taken very seriously all of his life. Being their protector defined who he was.

The stallion's eyes opened as the wind died and his mane settled back against his neck, but soon his gaze rose from the horizon to the sky. "Laima." He murmured as he continued to gaze at the sky. "What am I to do?" He closed his eyes and sighed, head dropping and his gaze falling to the ground. Again the gust of wind blew from the Foothills and toward the horizon that Alleo had been gazing at moments before. Was this her sign telling him to go? Was it really that simple? Could he start a new life in Helovia or was he too broken from years of abuse to try and start fresh? Time and again he had been broken down by his parents and rebuilt into the image they had wanted, but was it what he wanted? So many questions and so few answers.

All it would take was a couple of steps and he would leave the Foothills behind, but he would also be leaving his sisters behind and his mind and heart both revolted at the idea, his gut churned, and he started to sweat. There was no way that he could leave them like that, not after finally finding them again. But how could he live in a place that he constantly questioned his loyalty? If he questioned it then he was certain that the others questioned it as well. If they questioned him would they question Lakota? What would she think of him?

"."

@[Lakota]
i'm the colorless sunrise that's never good enough</style>

Credits

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Chilled winds push at long raven locks, strands aflutter in the breeze, like inky smoke, tendrils of black fire from her nape. Along the strands lie clay beads, a beautiful October orange, like pumpkins and autumn leaves. A testimony to her first love, the one she would never forget so long as she was able, and the one she missed so direly it still hurt some days, awakening from dreams of him. They were far, far rarer now. Lakota wasn't sure how she felt about that. Meeting with Ktulu outside of the borders...Lakota still wasn't sure how she felt about that either. It seemed that, these days, she really was just groping blindly for answers. Most of the time, they were the wrong ones. Life had changed her, and quite a lot at that. When she'd first stepped over the boundaries of the peninsula of Helovia, her heart had been as frigid and unyielding as the blizzard that had heralded her arrival. Cold had pervaded every word, and her care for the lives and feelings of others was nonexistent. Now...now, she didn't know who or what she was on the inside. It was as if someone had slowly been slipping a reactive chemical in her body, and it was finally starting to take hold on her. Lakota was terrified of it, she hated change, she just wanted to be safe and unharmed in her icy shell. It was so much easier to hide away behind it, to stop the beating of her heart by encasing it in ice and snow.

Shivering from the brisk wind, she is torn from her similar thoughts, the coil of unease and fear like winding snakes inside her belly. It made her queasy. Ao whines at her side, but he cannot pierce through the miasma that clouds her thoughts, and he is helpless. All he can offer is the comfort of his fur brushing against her slender legs, ink on snow. Leaves fall around them in a whirlwind of color, like some sort of movie as they fall from their branches to swirl around the pair as if enchanted to follow them around and herald their presence with a mystic gust of crisp earthen sprouts. Clay beads clink together softly in Lakota's ears, ruffled by the wind, and she flicks her forelock out of the way, ivory mark over her eye revealed where normally it was concealed by the raven locks. Breathing deep, she sighed softly, a cloud of mist enveloping velvet nostrils in the chill air as her lungs celebrated over the fresh vapors. It smelled of earth, crisp sunshine on dewy grass, and home.

Speaking of, her brow tightened in alertness as a figure appeared upon the knoll she was traversing, pale coat all she could discern from the distance she was at. Quickening her pace to a springy trot true to her Morgan heritage, she let her aurals fall to half-mast, unsure who this person was with how they stood like a statue of stone at their borders. Only when she neared did recognition hit, the sight of familiar grey markings like opening her eyes to sunlight, warm and sincere. Alleo. Her heart still convulsed every time her gaze fell on him anew, for she intimately remembered how she had lost him, how broken she had been without him, how worried she had been without him at her side...they were two pieces meant to fit together, her love for him far deeper than she had yet to experience with anyone. Alleo was her world. She would fight the Gods themselves and die trying to overcome them if it meant securing him safety on the mortal plane. There was nothing the lithe Poisoner would not do for her brother.

She does not slow, and instead races to meet him, worries pushed to the back of her mind momentarily as her joy takes over her. There is nobody to watch her, judge her, and she is like a filly once more as she lifts her knees and dances over to him playfully, violet eyes bright and long plume flicking to and fro excitedly. "Brother!" she trills happily, a name so familiar on her tongue, yet one so ill-used. Since she had grown older, it was normally Leo by which she called him, but the familiar title comforted her in this hurricane of emotion she had achieved reprieve from. Were horses able to purr, she would be doing so, ebony kisser reaching out to nudge and prod at his muscled neck like a youngling wanting attention. But he was not to be moved by her excitement, and her innocent joy fell from her face, akin to the way horror steals emotions from another's visage, when she recognized the somber look upon his brow.

All movement stills.

Quietly, sadly, she murmurs. "You are troubled, Leo. Speak to me." Barely a murmur, but they are so close, it is meant only for his ears. 'Brother' has vanished, for the term she holds so close to heart she is reluctant to bring into a conversation sure to be serious and trying. It is as if the title is a precious babe to be physically protected at all costs, even from the one who bears it, whom she had named by it only moments before. Together they face each other, two still figures on a grassy hill, wind sweeping up their hair and leaves of every shade of fire like a cocoon of protection. This moment is for them alone, intrusions were unwelcome, and Aodaun was sent along to patrol the rest of the borders in solitude. She could not abandon all duties for her brother until she knew the severity of the situation.

WE ONLY EXIST IN TERMS OF THIS CONFLICT
In the zone where black and white clash

Resurgere | Wroth

ali

"Brother!"

The stallion's ears flicked back and Lakota's voice registered in his mind immediately, but there was something off about the tone of her voice. His bi-colored eyes flicked up toward the sky and he sighed. Was Lakota a sign from Laima that he should stay in the Foothills? Was she purposely reminding him of his duty to his family? It certainly seemed that way and he almost felt as if he could swallow the pill of living in a place he felt no real connection to. Alleo had never truly known happiness of his own, so he wouldn't be sacrificing his own happiness for his sister, would he? The other ear flicked back and he listened to Lakota's hoof falls as they grew closer. Gradually he began to realize that it was happiness that he had detected in Lakota's voice and guilt began to eat at his soul when he began to wonder at how long it had been since she'd sounded in such a way. How could he even think about leaving Lakota and going off on his own?

Laima had sent him a sign and it was one that he would accept.

His sister came around and they stood face to face, his mismatched eyes staring into a set of lovely violet. The sudden change in her tone made his heart feel like it fell through his chest and flopped onto the ground between his hooves. He should just step on it and crush it so he wouldn't feel anymore. Alleo blinked his eyes and the thought was gone almost as soon as it had entered his mind. "I'm fine, my heart." He reached his muzzle out and touched it gingerly to his sister's. "I was just thinking about the past." He felt confident that she would understand what he spoke of, even if he was lying to some extent. "And contemplating the future."

A smile curled the corners of Alleo's mouth as he slipped on a mask so his sister would not continue to worry. He could only hope that she would not call him on his bluff and force the truth from him. When did he become a liar he wondered as he shifted his gaze back to the horizon. If it meant keeping his sisters happy he would lie through his teeth about every negative thought that entered his head. "And thinking about everything out there. Do you ever wonder?" He nodded his head toward the horizon.

"."

@[Lakota]

Credits

Visage turns towards her, familiar in ways she'll never be able to express, and her heart flutters. Every new sighting of him is unique, it reminds her that he really was there, that he really had returned to her. Sometimes she felt as if it was all just a dream, and that she'd awaken to find that Hana and Alleo really never had set foot in Helovia to find her. The Gods had blessed her, returning them to her. If she had ever done something right in life, surely it was that which garnered their appreciation, and sent her siblings to her when she needed them. Her gratitude would never wane, and she would be indebted to them until the day she died for granting her such a simple, yet meaningful thing. It was as if she could never look away from Alleo's face, as those thoughts touched her mind once more, fleeting but powerful. Seeing the emotions on his face, however, effectively killed what joy she had. What could possibly be troubling him so much?

Her ecstatic bouncing and attempt to engage him stuttered to an abrupt halt, ready to listen, ready to delve into the caverns of his mind to find the problem and fix it. He'd done it for her so many times she'd be unable to count them if she tried, and she was constantly trying to balance the scales.

Blinking himself out of a daze, he reached for her, and she returned the gesture with sad eyes. Disbelieving. He was lying to her when he assured her that he was fine, but the soft touch of their muzzles was not an action she wanted to forego. So much time had been lost, she didn't want to miss out on a single thing he did anymore. Lakota knew he was lying, and it turned her saddened frown into a disapproving one. "You're lying, Leo. You do not seek answers from Laima unless you are severely bothered. The past is behind us. Let it remain there." He was far taller than she, but the stubborn glare in her eyes firmly reminded him that she would take no excuses from him. Lying to her was not something she had ever approved of, from either of her siblings. It was taken as a personal insult, despite her hypocritical nature, for she lied to them just as much.

A smile lifted the corners of his pale mouth, eyes crinkling, but it was too sudden and too controlled for her to believe it to be sincere. "Do not hide from me, Leo. I am not a child anymore. I can handle your burdens." Her severity lessened with each pause, and at the end her eyes were searching his imploringly, wanting to show him that she was strong now. Despite her own weaknesses and inability to shoulder her own problems, she could at least handle his.

Gazing away from her, he drew her eyes, and she mimed him in return. The wind still blew their manes around, one as deep as shadows, the other pale like clouds. His voice brought her back around, and she faced him even when his eyes remained on the horizon, watching the scenery fade as the earth rounded. A sorrowful sigh escaped her, and her eyes stung a little, forcing her to turn her head towards the ground in a rather pathetic attempt at hiding it. "I always wonder, Leo. Herd life...well, despite my feelings towards it, it never seems to reciprocate. I am ignored by my brethren, only called to their sides when they are in need of my abilities. I am nothing to them, while they are everything to me. How can I not dream of what else is out there? I have explored so little, still, of this land." Unable to bare the idea that Alleo could be watching her, she shifted so that they faced the same point of the compass, shoulder to shoulder with minimal distance between their skin.

"But...Apollo, Phaedra, you and Hana...you are all so dear to me. Even if I am not needed...invisible...I stay because there may come a day when they do need me, or when I can put my life down to save theirs. I fear that if I leave, the harm that could befall them will, and I will not be here to stop it." She clearly recalled the way Phaedra had broken Apollo's heart, and yet at the recent meeting, he had received her like a best friend. What was she? Who was she?

Was she really nothing more than a burden, only necessary in times of crisis, nothing more than a barrier of blood to be spilled to protect those who were ignorant of her soul?

WE ONLY EXIST IN TERMS OF THIS CONFLICT
In the zone where black and white clash

Resurgere | Wroth

ali

He was a fool to think that she might accept his answers for the lies that they were and not press the matter farther, but he had hoped that she would leave it be. Lakota, his heart, was a very important piece of the puzzle that was his life and it was in her that he had always found some sort of comfort. When he was ill he would lean on her and hate himself the entire time because he was the one that was supposed to be strong for her. He was the one that was supposed to protect her from the beasts that masqueraded as their parents. He had used his body as a shield for her, bled for her, fought for her, the scars that marred his coat and slashed across his face were testament to his undying will to protect her from anything and everything that could hurt her and that included himself.

He was doing a horrible job of it judging from the look on her face alone.

Alleo sighed as his sister called him out on his lies and his gaze was deflected and returned to the horizon once more. In trying to protect her from his burdens he still hurt her by lying. If he confided his burdens and worries he would only upset her and make her think that he wanted to leave her behind. He wasn't even being completely honest with himself because if he were he would know that even he didn't know what he wanted. He felt unsettled and it made him feel like a gypsy on the run from something he would never be able to escape. His mismatched eyes stayed on the horizon for a long while after Lakota pleaded with him not to lie to her and claimed that she could handle his burdens. He knew his sister well enough to know that she could hardly handle her own burdens let alone his own. He had seen the way she moped around the Foothills and answered every beck and call of those that needed a healer. He felt mild resentment toward those who only sought her out when they wanted her to do something for them. He felt her need for a true friend, saw how much she needed it. He saw how much she gave and how little she got back in return and it left a very bitter taste in his mouth and he felt that it was part of the problem that he was having with the Foothills.

His gaze returned to his sister when she began to speak and he listened to every word she said, contemplated every sentence and every question. "You are very special, Lakota." He touched his muzzle to the tender spot behind Lakota's ear as she spoke, he breathed in her scent and nibbled at her fur before he found his voice again. "You feel more deeply for those around you than for yourself. Such selflessness is scarce here and nonexistent within our own family." His tail flicked against his hocks and his eyes fell to the ground at their hooves. "It doesn't make you terrible to have your own wants and desires. It makes you equine. It makes you mortal. You don't have to be a martyr for everyone else. You're young and have your whole life ahead of you, you only have to make it worth living." He felt a touch of resentment that she would throw her life away for a herd that only used her. He had not been her shield for years and endured such abuse for her to not find her own happiness. Was being a puppet really a life worth living?

Again, Alleo extended his muzzle toward Lakota, but this time he touched her cheek. "You have to live your life for you." He murmured. "No one else. Put yourself first for once. You don't want to be an old maid and look back on your life and ask yourself 'what did I do all of my life?' Time goes by fast, Lakota, and there are many fleeting moments that you will never get back. Catch them and hold them close to your heart. Even if there are only a few you can look back on them and be happy. The past will stay in the past." He reiterated what she had said earlier. "But make it a past worth looking back on."

@[Lakota]

Credits

Lakota & Ktulu
The Poisoner & The Constrictor

Leo should have known that Lakota was not so easily deceived, to think he was not bothered. If he was praying to Laima, it meant something serious had happened, and she was not going to let him lie to her. She knew it was his way of keeping her safe. Didn't he realize that she was no longer the frightened little filly hiding between his legs? Did he not see that she had grown into a woman? But he remained silent after she demanded the truth, looking out at the horizon, and soon- as if the silence demanded to be filled- her own words came spilling out like a waterfall of honesty and revelation. It was hard, to be so forthright. But this was her brother...the one person who had been with her, at her side and at her back, her entire life. Through thick and thin, he had stuck with her, and he deserved to know the truth when it came to her own problems. Maybe if she revealed her thoughts to him, he would do the same.

She shifted her eyes towards him, but kept her face towards the horizon, and her eyes fluttered shut with a soft sigh as her brother's muzzle pressed gently behind her ear. Nipping her gently, soothingly. It was hard for her to agree with what he said, obvious by the soft snort she gave in response, but she remained quiet and obedient as he continued to speak. The sincerity touched her heart with gentle fingers, repairing the damage done to it in the times she had been away from him. Her mind rebelled at the idea that she was all the things Alleo claimed her to be, but her heart sought the affection, the compliments she so rarely received.

She leaned into his touch as soft pink muzzle brushed against her cheek, peering up at him through her forelock, violet shining through black as if they glowed with some sort of inner light. Listening closely to his words, she never took her eyes off him, letting each syllable sink into her like it was tangible. Hanging on the wisdom she would have turned away had any other equine spoken it. Maybe...maybe he was right. No, he was right.

"Alleo...tu sei la ragione per cui vivo...I feel that I'm not ready to do what you want me to...I still need you." The tone of her voice was desperate and lost, slipping into their natural tongue as emotion seized her. Was she strong enough to let go? To actually look towards the future, and not fear it? All her life, she'd been taking it day by day, refusing to look past the next sunrise as she set her goals- always short term. If she started to go her own path...even though she was an adult, could she handle the separation it would cause? She felt as if she wasn't ready to leave Alleo's side, like an unweaned foal, despite her age. If she did what he wanted her to, would he forget her?

----
Translation: Tu sei la ragione per cui vivo - You are the reason I live

ali
"Alleo...tu sei la ragione per cui vivo..."

He wondered if she knew just how much those words made his heart constrict within the confines of his chest. Or how hard it was for him breath because he felt like the air had been driven from his lungs. Did she remember the song those words came from? Or how he would sing it to her when she was knee high to a grasshopper? "Trovare qualcun altro." Alleo murmured as he leaned to press his face into her neck and the inky black silk that was her mane. It ate him alive to say those words and knowing his sister she wouldn't take too kindly to them at first if at all. She would likely think that he was abandoning her when in reality he wanted her to live her own life. To find someone else that she could live each and every day for because he wasn't going to be around forever. She, of all people, should know that the least expected could always happen. She should know how fragile life was. And she should know how much he cared about her and wanted her to live a life that was worth living.

"Lakota." He sighed as he pulled his face away from her mane and looked at her, his expression weary and tired. For so long he had been her protector, her shield, her teacher, everything he could possibly be to give her the best life that he could and looking at her he realized how he had failed her. She had nearly been killed and he hadn't been there to prevent it. He hadn't been the one to save her. He had simply followed along months and miles behind her and when he found her again she was more heartbroken and lost then when he had helped her to escape. What good had he really done?

"You are so strong." He said gently, thinking that maybe that was the only good thing she had inherited from their father. "Its time you realized it for yourself." It was unbelievable that the time had come and he would finally push Lakota from the comfortable nest that he had provided her all of her life and make her fly on her own. "Non ti scordar di me." Alleo whispered as he nudged Lakota's neck. "Io vegliero su di te." He cleared his throat and lifted his head a touch. "You have to make your own life now."

"."

Translation: Trovare qualcun altro - Find someone else.
Non ti scordar di me- Don't forget me
Io vegliero su di te- I'll watch over you

Lakota & Ktulu
The Poisoner & The Constrictor

Breath hitches in her brother's throat, and she gazes at him with all the love and trust that she always had, from the moment she'd first opened her eyes and found him shocked and staring back at her. He'd been the mother and father she'd never rightfully had, and she had imprinted upon him as she should have the mare who had birthed her. His face had been the first she'd ever seen, and she looked at him now with that same tenderness as she first had. Of course she remembered the song he used to sing for her, the one their granddam had taught him. He would wrap himself around her, so much larger than she even then, and he would sing it into her ears sweetly and softly, in a voice she wished he would reveal more often. Words of encouragement, of promise that she had a guardian angel looking over her, even when her angel was wrapped around her like a blanket of comfort and love. Even now she could recall the words, could sing them by heart and memory alone if someone merely asked. There were few things she held more precious than that simple little melody.

But his next words caused her to recoil as if she had been struck, violet diamonds wide and injured, and she backed away from him as if he were a stranger. Tears gathering in the corner of her eyes like stars across the constellation of her vision. The words, spoken in a language they had always had only to themselves, were far too cruel to be placed in the beautiful lilting accent of their homeland. The only thing beautiful to have ever come from such a wretched place. Something only between them, sacred and cherished, and he used it to rip her heart from her chest with his teeth. His touch was shrugged off as if it burned her, she felt betrayed, unwanted, as if her world was collapsing around her. Had she finally lost the one person she'd thought would always be at her side? What had she done, for him to turn his back on her in such a way? A singular tear escaped from the corner of her eye, trailing down the deep sapphire of her cheek, staring at him as if she had never seen him before. What had she done to deserve this? Did he hate her now?

He says her name and she chokes, bites out a single word that cracks painfully as it leaves her lips, "Don't." She can't bear to hear her name on his tongue, not now, not after he had taken everything she'd ever believed in and cruelly shattered it. Strong? He thinks she's strong? Right after he betrayed her in such a way, he dares to call her something like that?! Her ears begin to flatten slowly as he speaks. Anger hurts less, she whispers to her breaking heart, and she wishes she hadn't resorted to it so often in her years of life. It was her default, her coping mechanism. Being angry was better than having to acknowledge the agony waging war in her chest.

"Don't forget you?" she spits, poisonous like the mists that she wishes to summon, if only to knock him out and leave him there while she ran away to cry herself to sleep. The one person she'd always trusted and relied on, had told her to find someone else to cling to. "You just told me to find someone else, and you ask me to not forget you?!" Her ears have disappeared within the darkness of her mane, and she snaps her teeth at him threateningly when he moves to touch her neck. It will not hurt, if it connects, but she feels she must do it anyways, if only to keep him away from her. If he comes closer...it will hurt all the more, and she may not be able to keep herself from giving in and forgiving him, should he find a way to talk himself out of the mess he'd made.

"Killing me would have been kinder," she chokes, and it cracks once more, and she lets all her pain and anger throb in her voice like the beating of her breaking heart. Mist wrap around her ankles, and it surges across the dewy grounds towards her brother, a poison in mind that would not harm him, only make him drowsy and sluggish. It races towards Alleo like a snake, and as it approaches she turns and runs, and down come the tears, angry and self-loathing. She was a fool to think she was important enough to keep even her patient siblings at her side.