the Rift

what the world will never take [open]

Morpheus Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

morpheus

» I don't know where you're going but do you have room for one more troubled soul?

What was this place? It was not like any he'd seen before. Had he really travelled thus far to go no more? The loneliness had been tugging at his hide for days - no months. To journey alone was not what he had foreseen for himself on the day of his birth. No certainly not, for he had envisioned a place surrounded by others, where he could be wreathed with glory and respect. But this? This is what he was reduced to become. A mere shadow of his past self. Sure he had those strong feelings of pride and yes, arrogance, still coursing through his veins - hot blood is not easy to let go - but the stallion felt fragmented; broken; forgotten. "Is this the end?" came his breath, weary and ragged.

The stallion felt as if the world rested on his shoulders. To far had he travelled, but too far had it been to give up now. With a grunt of disapproval, the horse with the dappled grey coat rebuked himself. "Time for later, later is time. Forget the past, now is mine." The small sonnet tumbled from his lips with ease. Morpheus had uttered it many a moment before. It was there to remind him that there was nothing that could stop him from doing what he needed to. It was his purpose to live now, he had to make sure that nothing would get in his way.

To brush off the dust as it were, the great stallion reared up his hind legs, striking out at some unseen foe with his front hooves. They would lash through the air, and were soon accompanied with a neigh that reverberated from inside his throat. A glorious sound in his own mind, for the four year old had always been told he had a wonderful set of lungs, a voice meant to be heard. At least according to his dam anyway. But the notion had most certainly gone to his head, and now as he stood here on the verge of something new, Morpheus almost laughed giddily to himself. The world could not stop him from using his voice, and one would be certain he was about to be heard. "Mere moments are stolen, but now I can regain them. It is now my time." Nothing like a limerick to stir one's emotions, to get them all in check for whatever could happen next.

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

"... Time to do what?" a voice asked from a nearby thicket, deep and soft as a morning breeze and decidedly amused. The whisper of green leaves sounded like laughter as they gave way to the bulk of a stallion; silver skinned and slender, yet the muscles that rippled beneath the metallic coat of oxidized argent and glimmering gold were impressive enough to suggest an extra moment of thought before doing something rash. A cascade of pale tassels rushed like a waterfall down the arched crest, set ablaze like silken fire as the equine shook his head; equally golden eyes as the burnished back clipped blearily as he blinked the sleep from them, drowsy curiosity apparent as he peered over at the loud youngster.

"You're quite the brave one, to announce your presence like that" he commented, still with that amused undertone jingling about the voice. The black-masked face beneath its white lacing of cobweb did not smile however - not even the slightest of smirks could be found. "Are you not afraid of the predators that roam the woods?"

A provocative question, when directed at such a young stallion. Yet Lace wanted to know what kind of horse he had before him. From outward appearance it would seem he had come across a strong, confident young equine, but mistakes and long years had taught him that the outer layers often were deceiving. Just look at himself; all glittering hues and dancing footsteps with a built that echoed the younger stud's, only sleeker because of his mixed blood. Who would have thought that the finely garbed silver grullo would be strong enough to have earned the position as herd leader, a dragon kin emerged victorious from a battle with earth giants and fear-inducing boggarts?

He seemed a far cry from all that where he stood, shoulder leaned against the rough bark of a pine tree, hips slanted and yawning with burdocks in the tail and a straw of grass dangling from the crook of the mouth.

Dim vales- and shadowy floods-
And cloudy-looking woods,
Whose forms we can't discover
For the tears that drip all over!
Huge moons there wax and wane-
Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Unregistered

morpheus

» I don't know where you're going but do you have room for one more troubled soul?

He'd assumed he'd been alone. Foolish. Another rebuke fluttered into his mind to chide him, only to dissipate quickly when the stallion realised he should probably address the newcomer. The voice had come from a thick tangle of bushes, seemingly appearing out of thin air as it were. But no, there was a body attached to this voice. A decidedly strong shape, with arguably as elegant a form as he himself. Gaze travelling almost imperceptibly over the other's form, the wanderer gave a mental snort of appreciation.

The question echoed in his mind and for a few brief moments he mulled it over. In the process of doing so, Morpheus pondered on also the beast that stood before him. This horse, if that was indeed what it was, was unlike any he'd seen before. A coat colouring like that could be considered typical, but there seemed to be other markings which at this point in time, in the half light around them, he could not make out in it's entirety. Unbidden came the words that quickly tumbled from his black lips. "The ghosts of yesterday stare us in the face. Will we hide? Will we run? Will we fall from grace?"

He'd meant not much by the rhyme, but the stallion chuckled to himself, the sound as soft as a Birdsong breeze. Shaking his head, the grey cloaked beast resorted to a more... understandable form of speech. "Riddles tend to come when I least want them," his voice rasped. "Bravery is in the eye of the beholder it would seem," he continued with a nonchalant swish of his dark tail. "I've come to learn that fear is the thief of dreams. We can know she exists, but to give into her is a grave mistake indeed."

Regarding the other in front of him once more the stallion lapsed into silence yet again. He'd stumbled onto these lands in hope of finding some kind of purpose to his life which, until now, had been rather boring. Perhaps this stranger who addressed him would be able to grant him that much. But it would be time to at least be civil on the whole matter. Introductions should be handed out, though uncertainty pricked at his side to give out his name to someone he had known for all of five seconds. Sometimes one would have to jump without seeing what lay beneath his hooves. "I am Morpheus," he said, dark eyes glinting. "To know who I speak to would be enough to make my day seem like less of a waste as present."

[ooc: I'm so sorry, this is an horrendous post x.x I'm still trying to get a feel for him, that and I've never role-played a horse before xD]

"as far as speech goes..."

This whole situation... wasn't there something horrifically familiar about it? It was as though Lace was looking at himself from across the ages, peering back into the past to a different time, a different place; onto a past that was his own, when he had been just as bold and brave, foolishly confident as he pranced across a very similar looking borderland. He hadn't known then that his life would change and all the ideals he'd been stuffed with since birth would be set on edge, turned upside down by ignorance and passion and used for the purpose of others.

Did this stallion know what waited for him here, in this strange and war-torn land? Would he understand the causes for which they fought and built walls, time upon time risking their lives against forces equally stronger or sometimes even greater than themselves?

The answers he was given by the youngster weren't really answers at all, and they garnered nothing but a quiet hum by the older steed. Scrutinizing the dappled frame Lace hesitated for a moment, feeling the responsibility for the herd weigh heavy on the shoulders - it felt like more of a gamble than ever to bring horses back to their forested land of moonlight and mist, yet at the same time he couldn't argue with the fact that they needed more able-bodied fighters.

"Morpheus..." he repeated slowly, as though sampling the name in his mouth and finding it to his liking. "My name is Lace. What are you searching for in these lands, Morpheus? If you answer me honestly, I might be able to help you in your search."

Finally the smile shifted from the voice and broke out across the face of the silver horse, small and reserved yet undoubtedly friendly. He lifted the head to hold it higher, pushing away from the tree without a sound; it didn't do to look like a sleaze when trying to recruit horses to a cause, now did it. If the appearance of the traveler was taken into account by him, then surely the other would be scrutinizing him when making a decision; to follow, or not. Would he have been as inclined to follow Mirage had she appeared before him with mud in the mane and grime beneath the eyes?

He thought about it for a moment and had to hold back a chuckle... probably not.

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden

Unregistered

morpheus

It felt good to speak to another soul, even if he wasn't yet certain as to where the conversation was heading. Too long had he travelled and been alone. Instinctively he longed, no craved, for some kind of company. It was always his desire to be the partner that a soul would be proud to have alongside them. Loyalty and duty, but he had no place to offer that too yet. The idea that he would end up alone, doomed to forever travel across forsaken lands without a purpose.

But this stallion before him was providing him with a glimmer of hope that that dream might still be possible. But it was still a process in the works, for in truth, Morpheus always found ii hard to trust someone he had only just met. This Lace, seemingly civil enough, might not have been the thing that he had been expecting to meet out here on the threshold, but it certainly had some promise this meeting.

The light horse pondered over the other stallion's question with mild amusement. What was he seeking? Could one even put that into words? It wasn't a simple task that much was sure. But nevertheless he would oblige. "Put simply? I guess I'm searching for a way, or a place, where I can give my loyalty and duty. As well as the rest of my traits which would eventually come to light, but I'm certain that wouldn't matter much right now." When Morpheus spoke, he dropped his usual vocabulary of poetry and rhyme for something that would be better understood. Now was not the time to be over indulgent in such things.

His answer had been true enough, but like the dapple grey horse had implied, it was not easy to put into words exactly what he had been seeking. Did anyone know what they were looking for in life? Life had enough twists and turns to be unpredictable, then perhaps that was the best montage for him to live by. In his mind, Morpheus continually heard the voices of his youth ringing over and over again. Let it be, let it be. Who really knew what that meant? He certainly couldn't understand. But in that moment, the young stallion held onto the hope that his journey was finally ending, and the real story was beginning it's first chapter.

"as far as speech goes..."

"On the contrary" the argent stallion said quietly, gaze thoughtful as he watched the other equine. "I don't think there could be a time when your other traits would be more important. Loyalty comes with time and duty follows in its wake whether you wish it or not. I find it more interesting to hear about dreams and wishes, because they will tell me who you truly are." A soft smile took the edge off his words. Somewhere in the distance a warbling cry could be heard, its echo bouncing off rocks and trees, faded and warped by the time it reached the ears of the grullo - they twitched reflexively, though in actuality he didn't need them to perceive the message transported upon the wind.

Taking a deep breath, Lace straightened up further and threw the silken mane back with a jerk of the neck. The gaze turned sharp, lids narrowing in intense scrutiny; time was passing by, and if the warning from his bonded was anything to go by there were dangers approaching - wolves, if the image of dark shapes darting through the woods was anything to go by.

"But, if you want to offer your loyalty to someone, how about pledging it to me? I am the leader of a herd called Qian, a family of horses joined together by a mutual desire for peace and prosperity. We reside in an area called the World's Edge, blessed lands watched over by the Goddess of the Moon. It is a good place to live, but the threats to our borders are many. We could use horses like you on the wall... What do you say?"

From above came yet another cry, melodic and fierce with metallic undertones, the scream of a beast; and a marvelous beast she was, the white dragon that swooped down through the canopy, glittering in blinding white hues where the sun touched upon shining alabaster scales. The leaves and branches of the shrubs danced in the gusts of wind created by her beating wings, and as she lowered herself down to perch on the whithers of the stallion there suddenly was no trace left of the lazy vagabond. The burdocks still tangled in the white tail, the strand of grass continued to dangle from the crook of the lips... But it just didn't matter anymore, because the air around him was different, the sense of purpose and strength exuded by the firm gaze had no patience for superficial judgments.

It was the heart that mattered, and now that Fajira was with him, the Silverthorn was whole again.

Again- again- again-
- bg - table - image -
The Store | The Warden