the Rift

[PRIVATE] All teasing aside (Crafter, Finn)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
”Nay Midas, not more like me. I want you to be more like you. You have a way of crafting gold into being. Craft three spheres. Once you have done this, seek out others who can create using the earth, as you do. Have them apply their abilities, to that which you have made. Once you have done this, return to me, and we shall see what it is, you can truly do."
I spun gold as the Lord had instructed. Creating a sphere that was perfectly round and filled completely with my secondary element. It was a task that took many days to create one simple sphere.

When the object was complete I tucked it between feathers and flesh. I had a few ideas of where to get a few favors—but aside from gathering three crafters? Now that was something that would take a little time. Fina snuggled aside, pulling my hair with her talons. “Where we go?” she asked quietly. I slipped across the border and smiled with one eye angled to stare behind, “Not far.” We wouldn’t travel the miles it took to cover the whole of Helovia, it simply wasn’t practical right now.

Instead. Our traveling would take us to the edge of the field or meadow as those who lived among our ancestors praised to call it. Night had fallen, stars were twinkling above and a crescent moon was starting to rise higher. It was peaceful out here, alone and without anyone aside from my own thoughts and Fina as company. She sang to me quietly, murmuring to keep the darkness from invading my mind.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Finn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

F I N N</style>

sometimes tears say all there is to say</style>

Not far at all from the Foothills lie a place of which I do not know the name, but it is a large field made up mostly of flat ground and knee-high grasses. Scattered across the landscape are various (tree types), and upon my entry I had even caught the sound of a river curving gently across it. If not for the lack of hills, I might have thought myself in an uncharted part of the Foothills, and surely my new home was not that absolutely ginormous.

My everlasting thirst for adventure was what had pushed me to come here, wherever this was, searching for both new faces and new grounds in which to discover. Though, seeing as night had fallen, I doubted my search would be very successful until morning. Although I was still new to this land called Helovia, I was uncertain of the dangers it held within it, and did not know what sort of creatures lurked just beyond my line of sight. Since a colt, I had heard stories from my mother and other such elderly figures, of things like dragons and faeries, trolls, wizards and what have you; but did any of them really exist? I had never set out with the sole intention of ever finding these dream-woven creatures, but my childish mind couldn't help but wonder, did any of them actually exist? My brows furrowed deeply at the thought of meeting one of them. If equines like myself could take the wings of birds or the horns of deer, then why couldn't my childhood storytales be real, too?

I needed to remind myself to pay attention, but a much too kind dip in the land obliged to do it for me.

Stumbling forward, quite ungracefully might I add, I managed to catch myself before I went careening into face first into the dirt. Straightening myself up, I surely looked disgruntled for a moment, but quickly looked around to assure that nobody had been witness to my moment of blissless ignorance. At first, it seemed I was in luck; not a soul in sight, at least until my eyes found the dimly lit painted form of another. I flustered in absolute embarrassment and thought momentarily of just hurrying away, but the sensible side of me begged differently. With a deep inhale I turned towards the other figure and made my way towards him.

"Greetings, fellow," I spoke up, voice just as cheerful as ever despite my previously felt embarrassment. As I drew closer, I could see that this stranger was not alone. In his company was a bird, one of the most beautiful I had ever seen before. I cast a warm smile to them both, eyes twinkling as I finally came to a halt just a couple yards away. "It's a lovely night, isn't it, friend?"

talk

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Even before we had met, our minds held similar ideals. Yonder steed held dreams of youth still locked inside, the heart of an explorer--as did I. There had been many wonders and horrors witnessed in this short life; sea serpents, mythical avian's, spirits, demons, living dead. If the stranger would but ask I could tell him grand tales of misery, joy, fear, and utter bliss. If the pale stranger would only inquire about them, he could learn that all our colt bedtime stories were more truthful than most else.

He stumbled ahead, feet tangled by dry grass and an occupied mind. Fina chuckled openly, finding childish delight from the dwarf stallion who now stood with flushed stance. I straightened subconsciously and flicked one ear back, without another word she wisely fell silent. The Norwegian approached with a smile pleasant enough to make a responding grin rise from the strained corners of my face before I had even realized it. His build was smaller compared to mine, a rare treat for sure--considering that my usual company towered above. Despite being blessed with a dwarfed size he didn't appear vulnerable, mountain muscles rippled beneath his furry hide.

"Greetings to ye, and aye it is."

There was often more good in the world than evil. Kind spirited folk were always easier to converse with, easier to share secrets with--I continued to smile, my gaze shifted toward our night-time haven, "This mild tempered creature is Fina, and I am Midas."The phoenix huffed, fluffing her flaming feathers and twisting her beck back as if I had just spoken the obvious and she found it offensive to not simply be known by all who happened by. "What brings ye South?" I ask softly, drifting my pools slowly back toward earth to regard the foothills steed with a kind, almost fatherly patience.

Unregistered

In my approach, there hadn't been an ounce of uncertainty whether or not the painted steed even wanted my somewhat sudden company. It wasn't carelessness that kept me from thinking twice about my decision to join him, but rather ignorance, for I'd only ever faced one group that drove me away with pure hate and ill-intent. One might think that having worked beneath a Kingdom would have shown me that the world wasn't as it always seemed during colthood, but my time as a Royal courier had been short lived and I'd seen little action since being run out and lost.

As paint speaks, I come to a halt just a width away from him, unsurprised that I found myself looking up to him as I normally did, no matter my company. Still, he was noticeably shorter than the majority of those I'd met here so far, but that was hardly the most exciting thing in my eyes. Beneath the moonlight, I could now spy wings resting at the stallion's side, as well as a gentle flame twisting and turning from upon his back. But with a closer look, I saw that it was far from some random flame, and was in fact a bird, or a phoenix, if I remembered correctly from the folklore I'd always heard since my birth. Just moments ago I had been pondering the existence of such beings as this one, but standing here now, looking at one of these creatures of legends... well, I had to believe.

Once Midas, as he had called himself, had finished his introduction, I could only stare for a moment longer in child-like wonder at the brilliantly flamed avian. "Wow," I uttered then, brown eyes wide against the night, "She is spectacular; beautiful. I never knew that they were real." Pulling myself from my stupor then, I sought the golden eyes of Midas and returned my smile to him. Beneath me, one hind leg shifted and cocked, and I got comfortable.

"Adventure, sir," came my answer to his simple question, "Currently I reside in the Foothills, but as lovely as it is, I desire to see more than hills and rivers." In no way was I trying to smite the Foothills, for all within it had been kind so far, but I simply yearned to keep myself moving and to explore the land that was still all so new to me.

Tilting my head ever so slightly to the left, I regarded Midas with an utmost curious look. "And what of you, Midas? If I may ask, where do you come from, and how long have you been here?" I paused for a moment, eyes dropping and lingering briefly on the strange collar that hung around the male's neck. "Also... what is that?" With every question asked, I seemed only to grow a little more excited, though I could never explain to you why. "It reminds me of a craft I learned back home."

"talk"
F I N N
to coax the darkness into light

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina could have very nearly purred with delight when his dark eyes went wide and soothed out a response that only succeeded in pumping elation. She was usually quick to spark a temper when others came around, but this adolescent adored attention. Food and flattery--but perhaps food above all else. If you offered her either or even both, she would be content with your presence for a short while. The dwarf stallion made good headway in her option by appearing taken aback and referring to our folk lore of old times long since passed. Fina whispered in broken babyish words, “He nice, smart, good horse.”

I stifled the urge to frown and scoff her eagerness to absorb his curiosity as hooflicking. “Yar,” I said mildly, returning my attention back to his sandy toned face with a small smirk, “They are rare, I’ve only witnessed two others in my lifetime—and those had been of a wild sort.” Memories of a certain black steed rose in my mind, his steel eyes shining and body a sheen of perspiration. Standing above his soldiers with a stern grin. The last time I’d seen him; his proud body had been slew across the sands he had spent a full life guarding. A phoenix had honored his farewell. Aye, I missed my late mentor even now.

The foothills steed answers my question with a typical response for those with a wandering heart, my smile shifts to one of knowing and understanding. This was a wide world fit for those that craved adventure, or loved the change of scenery. Before I could say anything more the stranger posed a question, or rather two separate questions. It was his ending comment that captured my attention, and brought a new light of curiosity to my eyes. A dawn of possibilities and the faint breath of hope fluttered a patient heart even faster---I couldn’t help but dare to think that luck had indeed decided to bless this meeting.

Politely I answered his question, “My home lies in the deserts of Dragon’s Throat, tis where I was born and raised.” Ears drift forward and chin tucks toward my chest, my smile remains as I answer his second question. Though there is a new light dawning in my eyes. “Tis armor, crafted by Lord Earth. It remains dormant in this form, and takes on the appearance of a collar.” The metal hums against my chest, lifeless in appearance to all that gaze on its form from the outside—but its warmth and throbbing pulse have long since given me belief that this steel wasn’t as null as some believed. “Ye is a crafter? I find myself in need of such talents.” Gleaming pools shift to his face.

Unregistered

With genuine interest I absorb every little thing that Midas told me of. I had never heard of a place called the Dragon's Throat before, but surely it was no fault of the land itself. It was a grand place, I was certain judging by its name alone, and I had only my short amount of time spent in Helovia to blame. Wondrous eyes look back to the collar hanging about Midas' painted neck, marveling at the beauty and craftsmanship portrayed within it. If I was honest, which I was, I was actually a bit jealous of its beauty. I'd been a crafter for many years, but I still had yet to perfect something of such quality. Looking back up to Midas, my wonder and amount of questions only seems to grow, but I did my best to hold the majority of them back. I'd already fired so many at him.

"You're saying that a... a God crafted it?" No wonder it had captivated me so, and if it held the ability to take the form of armor, then I could fathom no other way for it to hold such magical properties. Back in my home of Ossic Briar, we'd praised a single Goddess, but I wasn't sure anyone had ever witnessed her face to face or if she was even truly real.

At Midas' question of my own crafting abilities, my face took on an infintely proud smile, abandoning the slack-jawed state in which it had fallen at speaking of the collar. "Aye," came my answer, "I am a weaver of leather goods. All's I need is the raw material to get started." I paused then, gazing up into the golden gaze of the Pegasus, and I tilted my head. "What is it you are in need of, Sir? I would be honored to help you if I am able to, and if you could assist me in finding material."

"talk"
F I N N

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
“Aye,” I replied with a bright smile that set both brilliant orbs aglow in rare delight. He was a refreshing sort of soul, and already I felt a kindred connection with this gentle dwarf of a man. The lad willingly affirmed my curiosity and agreed to provide aid. Lips curved ever higher in delight and good grace; I could hardly believe this stroke of good luck. Though time would make this one of my only future lucky moments in the coming months, “I’d certainly repay and offer whatever assistance can be mustered.”

Fina shifted curiously around, staring at the dusty stallion and slowly bending to poke at my small work of art. Clink, clink, the metal sung soundly. I glanced back knowingly, twisting my head aside to regard her shinning pools.

Power unwound delicately, and sand slithered from beneath me; half a dozen strands circling my left forehoof like a living golden serpent. It climbed and slipped to where the sunlite sphere lay nestled between feathers, Fina stepped aside and chirped. Said globe rose high above my withers, clear of wings. Eventually gliding to hover before my newfound boon, a stranger that I’d not even gathered a name for yet, “Can ye cover this in leather friend? And…what name does ye go by?” I asked earnestly, and though the two of us knew little about leather crafting, intuition told me that certain things weren’t made from the ground. This globe was no bigger than my hoof, surely not requiring a large amount of leather. A sample of his talent would suffice.

OCC: We might need to move this to shadowlands <'3 So it doesn't get deleted.

Unregistered

I simply could not get over the fiery creature perched upon the painted male. She was simply wonderous, and as my eyes met with hers, I cast a gentle smile her way before focusing back entirely on the Pegasus standing before me.

From beneath him slithered sand which seemed to materialize from nowhere, rising and twisting like a snake about his leg and to his wings. Like sandy fingers it plucked a sphere from hiding and then rose above the painted's head, until it came to a halt close enough for me to inspect it. Briefly I wondered what its use would be, but that was hardly my business. It was only the size of my hoof or so, and would only take a small amount of leather to get it all wrapped up.

"No need to pay me, Sir," I said after a moment, beaming a smile up to the taller male, "All I ask is for some assistance in finding some leather. Unfortunately, we must take a life or find some unfortunate soul who has already passed... But, perhaps fair Fina could assist us?" At least, I hoped that she could, and I also I hadn't stepped beyond any boundaries with the fiery avian.

And then Midas asked of my own name, and I gasped audibly at the realization that I'd been so rude as to not speak my own name to the pair. "Oh, you may call me Finn; apologies for my rudeness, Sir."

"talk"
F I N N

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
He was ever the gentleman, and I could hardly believe my luck on meeting this interesting fellow. Here we stood in the middle of field, chatting away the dark hours like fellow kin—it was rare, and it was nice to finally converse with someone who bore such a charitable heart. I grinned pleasantly and nodded when he motioned toward Fina, curious if she’d aid our ventures.

As if to prove some prided point, her wings shifted apart and a brilliant flash of fire spread like a torrent. “I hunt!?” she crooked, all too happy by the idea of capturing prey. He introduced himself as Finn, “Aye, she seems more than happy to oblige us.” My response was followed by the rapid click of her beak as the phoenix added attentively, “I eat also?”

“Aye,” I silently replied, there wasn’t an apparent reason that she couldn’t fill her belly with the gore and leave the rest for dear Finn. Without another word Fina took off, I moved to follow her flight, motioning toward Finn to come along if he so choose, “Is it alright if she eats from the kill?” My gaze shifted to his curiously, while inwardly I hoped that I’d not just given Fina false assurance. It wasn’t moments later that I heard her battle cry, a powerful screech that broke the calm silence and stilled the crickets chirping mindlessly in the backdrop.

The soft beat of her wings could be heard and the flashing glow of fire was easily seen in the distance. Clenched on the ground was a rather large and now lifeless meadow hare, the firechild had taken the buck swiftly and mercifully.

Unregistered

At my question, little Fina seemed thrilled at the prospect of helping me with the most unfortunate part of my craft, but despite the imminent death of some poor thing in this meadow, I couldn't help but smile as the avian flared up in a brilliant display of fiery color. Oh, I simply could not get over how stunning of a creature she was.

Midas' next words were rather unexpected, and though the imagery that wormed into my head of a presumptuously innocent Fina taking something down and tearing out its innards was worthy of making me sick, I gave a nod of my thick head. "She may," I answered, watching as she took off and disappeared into the darkness of the night. It was only nature, I knew, that the Phoenix was a predator and had to kill in order to eat and survive, but the knowledge would never be enough to quell my squeamish belly.

Following after the painted stallion at a swift walk, I couldn't help but contemplate just what the winged man would do with a sphere such as the one he had just moments ago shown me. It was none of my business, I reminded myself over and over, but my manners and my curiosity seemed to be relentlessly butting heads today. "If I may ask, Midas," I spoke up against my better judgement, cringing as the sound of Fina's victorious battle-cry rang throughout the meadow, "What exactly is the purpose of your sphere? I've never seen anybody carry something like it before. But, you do not have to tell me if you do not wish, Sir. I'm merely curious."

When we approached where Fina had landed and claimed her kill, I was thankful my species was incapable of retching and getting sick like most. Despite my craft and the countless times I had put it to use, I wasn't sure I'd ever get over this part of it. My heart ached for the life lost, but at least it hadn't been a pointless end for the poor hare. "Thank you, Fina; it's an excellent catch." It was only after a silent apology to the buck that I took in a deep breath and focused on the lifeless corpse, willing the skin to pull away from flesh and for the hair to fall completely from it, leaving the rest for Fina to take care of. On anything larger it might have been a tiring task, but for such a simple, small project, it took little effort. Still, I was hardly lazy with my work and never allowed my craftsmanship to falter. By golly, this would be the most beautifully leather-wrapped sphere anyone would ever see if I could help it.

The hide turned into a tawny color as it shifted into soft leather, and carefully I moved it to Midas' sphere whenever he presented it again, wrapping it neatly, tightly and securely around the object. After a moment of inspection, I stepped back, a broad smile lighting up my face. "There!" Came my proud exclamation, "That should do you, my friend. You let me know if there's anything else I can ever do for you, aye?"

"talk"
F I N N

Ascended Helovian

Deceased

His agreement to allow Fina feeding rights was a relief, I couldn’t imagine what the insides of an animal would be good for—aside from of course nourishing my phoenix. (At least I hadn’t spoken a falsehood ahead of his permission.) Finn broached a question as we walked toward the site, I nodded and replied, “If I knew the purpose I’d surely tell ye. My directions had been simply enough, but I can’t help wonder what he desires me to learn from this.” Brows shriveled together in brief pondering, “All in good time I suppose.” It was impossible to experience something and reflect upon the experience at the same time. Nay, we would all be learned men of great wisdom if that was possible. Later, when I had time for reflection, I would look back upon this meeting in a favorable light and truly see the experience in a wider view.

We neared Fina, her flaming feathers a lamp to guide our steps by. She was glancing up at me with sharp eagerness—waiting, for either permission or further directions. Finn offered his thanks, aqua gaze jerked toward him in approval. My face relaxed into a quiet grin, “Aye, thank ye.” The fire child hopped off, wings spread apart and head swiveling to follow when the buck began to shiver with unseen power. I flinched as skin peeled off to reveal a deep red below in the shape of this rodent—the muscles and meaty parts were left behind.

Fina snatched it up the moment said hide was removed, she could care less what we did with the hair or skin. The smell was puckish and I found myself shifting away to focus on the pelt that had lost its soft looking follicles. He crafted the skin into a tawny leather, it still smelled of buck musk, but the odor was noticeably dimmer. Finally the finished product was complete and my first sphere was covered. He gleamed, turning those polite eyes to me for approval.

The forgivable material clung tightly as I slowly shifted it up for inspection. “Marvelous.” I breathed out, “Aye, I am in your debt dear sir. This generosity will not be forgotten, should ye also have a need please don’t hesitate to voice it.” In time I would pay this crafter back for his gift today.