the Rift

This Beauty Beholds (Open)

Vanity Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
The sun such an amazing thing, it's warmth and light give the world life. What would the world be like without the sun? The sun kissed filly didn't even want to think about it, it would be so dark and cold.

Vanity soared effortlessly, weaving in and out of the soft white clouds beneath her, they were gorgeous today. With no wind blowing they were allowed to built up into huge plumes of evaporated water, towers of pure beauty. The sun glares upon Vanity's golden flecked wings making them seem like gold lies beneath each delicate white feather. Twirling and dancing in the air she feels a thermal lane of air and glides to it, allowing herself to float upon the warm air she takes a deep breath and tastes the air with her nostrils. Suddenly she halts midair, hovering in place with her powerful wings stretching in front of her to hold her in place. A new scent was upon her lips and suddenly fear and anxiety crawl into her soul once more, other equines, they were near.
Ever so slowly the palomino filly allows herself to sink down below the cloud cover, with wide eyes Vanity looks upon this strange land. Mountains, valleys, canyons, and river stretch as far as she could see, green, green, green. Obviously it was summer here or whatever these equines called it. Unsure of anything and afraid of the future, Vanity soars slowly towards the earth too explore this new land.
Upon landing Vanity made her way through the green of the land. Afraid the filly flips her white forelock from behind her ears to cover her brilliant blue eyes. Raising her chin the golden filly lets out a shrill whinny to let anyone know she was here and hopefully a stallion wouldn't answer.

OOC: I'm sorry this sucks so bad I'm not good at opening threads but I hope it was okay.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

The lonely silhouette of a black bird circled far above the jagged range of Threshold canopy, his path measured like the stalk of an aerial predator; an eagle with cunning, all-seeing eyes; a hawk with frighteningly sharp reflexes, a decoration in the otherwise vast, white-laced arc of blue which was his haven. Indeed the Zephyr shared these raptor qualities; his mind was clever too, calculating and shrewd- though throbbing behind a bone-plate breast, his heart was warm and complex and without the want to spill blood for a meal. He trailed the route of a horse far below, careful, beady-black eyes monitoring even the slightest shift in her direction so that she would not be alone; could not be vulnerable.

It was a one winged mare with a murky grey puddled canvas stretched tight across the swing and switch of unpadded bones- she was fit, in the prime of her life; a walking contradiction. Spread loosely across the short stretch of her back was a mat of feathers; varicoloured with countless shades of cloud-grey and intertwined white; fine tapered tips of the darkest midnight hue. The wing rocked lazily as she walked, dancing the unheard rhythm of her stride. There was no second limb, no left wing to balance her otherwise elegant physique- it had been stolen many seasons past, and the loss no longer haunted the quietly astute glimmer in her eye. It had been a painstakingly long and treacherous road, but the worst had been overcome.

Though not for a second did Silas lower his guard- she was as frail as the skeleton leaves scattered around the step of her hooves.

His swift gaze reached through the forest ahead of his gravity-stricken beloved. In her path there was another, and stern eyes grazed her form with meticulous carefulness- his presence unknown as his shadow flickered across the old flimsy tree tops. He had seen her before, a speck on the horizon; illuminated by the blazing sun’s light, soaring and through the heavens where his beloved belonged also; waltzing weightlessly with the delicate flossy columns. A horse of her kind, the avian had offered the flighted creature little consideration.

Now though, the stranger was standing as stagnant as the ancient forest around her, locked in limbo like they all were when they fell prey to the Threshold; lips parted towards the sky, voice ringing through the warm stillness of the eastern corridor- a plea perhaps, he could not understand; but his beloved answered swiftly with a softer call, a conservative answer that was as mellow as it was tender.

Silas dipped his grand black wingspan and descended with raptor speed through the spindly labyrinth of trees below.

-

Flared nostrils tested the air, the steaming atmosphere around her, for any trace of the stranger who had called out; top lip drawn back slightly to bare the off-white teeth of one who had only recently crossed the threshold into maturity. Her eyes sparkled curiously as her face lowered again; searching through the rib of shaggy, woody trees for the mare who she guessed was not far from the crude badger track she had been following. Long, heavy ears leaned forward attentively, plucking from the forest any stray stepping of another nearby; straining for the breath of she whose lonesome voice had beckoned for the presence of another.

Africa found her, diligent steps falling only a length or so short of the stranger’s location- a respectful distance that would not be invaded without invitation. The one-winged mare’s hot breath rattled in greeting as it slipped genially from her nose and a thoughtful expression had melded across the sweet pale grey femininity of a young, though tried face. “I heard your call.” She explained diplomatically, assessing the stature of the other for sign or signal that caution should be taken. There seemed to be little evidence of aggression though, no pinched features; no hostile ripple to the muscles lurking below the shimmery gold of her hide. The young grey smiled tenderly, only when she was satisfied no attack would be made and added- “I'm Africa.”

Silas arrived then too, opening his wings at the last opportunity to flutter and perch upon the sweaty fleck of his beloved’s sleek grey rump.

Solace Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Equine :: 16h :: 6 HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable
I had a dream I stood beneath an orange sky.</style>

Solace hummed as he moved through the Threshold. He hadn’t encountered any newcomers yet, but perhaps that was because of his late start. There had been much of a hurry to get to the Threshold today for some reason, in fact, he spent a portion of his time doing a brief patrol of his own home, the Foothills. Recruiting was important he knew, but it wsa also important for him to still act as a warrior. Tallsun was coming to a close, and Solace anticipated the cool air of orangemoon. The orange leaves and chilled air would be a welcome change to the green draft, though his preference would always remain birdsong. It had warmth, but wasn’t scorching like tallsun.

Scents of foreigners and other herds lingered in the air, but all their scents mostly stale. For a moment he stopped to pick at a few strands of grass. It never hurt to eat when there was an opportunity. He fliced his tail and then glanced around. Surely there had to be someone within these borders. Patience was a virtue, and Solace knew he had to wait and the foreigners would come.

He continued on his way, just roaming about the familiar forest. Faces that he had met and the faces of those he had brought home with him. Several of them he hadn’t seen since bringing them to the Foothills. Part of him wondered if they decided herd life wasn’t for them, or if maybe a worse fate had befallen them. Of course, there were still faces he had seen around, and one even was a friend.

The sound of a whinny broke the stallion from his thoughts. He turned his head and scented a stranger. Slowly he walked in the direction, but stopped a good distance away. The mare is winged, and quite beautiful at that. For now, she seemed potential for the Foothills. Solace slipped from the forest and made himself visible, and just as he was about to introduce himself, another voice spoke. Another wined one, and Solace dipped his head in a respectful greeting. No matter where she hailed from, Solace made an effort to be civil to all who wandered these grounds, no matter how dark or malicious they may be. He then noticed the bird, he assumed it must be the mare’s bonded.

More the green draft was exposed to those with such an intimate bond, the more he found himself desiring such a thing. That was athought for another time though, he needed to focus on the potential new blood for his herd. He dipped his head at the other mare, finding that to be enough of hello, he said, “I’m Solace.” No reason to draw it on longer than necessary. Idle chat was something he found himself getting in the habit of, and he was deciding now would be best to break it.

Image Credits

Unregistered
This land truly was a strange place but it reminded her of her old home, Myrosia where she met the one stallion who had ever been kind to her. Julian has been a gentleman but he would never understand that she feared him and would never trust him because he was, a stallion. In Vanity's mind stallion were huge lumbering beasts with snapping teeth and powerful bodies, capable of hurting her or killing her. She would never ever trust a stallion.
The sun casts it's warming rays thought the leaves turning the forest floor green and making Vanity feel calmer, then the gray mare appears. Blue eyes staring forward and body stiff with fear the sun kissed filly wonders how she didn't catch her scent, then she sees it. This mare is a Pegasus but something is horridly wrong, she's missing a wing, how terrible. Vanity couldn't imagine missing a wing keeping her in the ground, what a cursed life. A strange bird sits upon the pretty gray mares rump, must be a friend or a companion, Vanity wonders. The filly opens her mouth too speak when another scents overwhelms her nostrils, stallion!
A fearful whimper escapes her lips before she lifts her mighty wings and covering her scar shields her body cautiously. He appears in the clearing with a green mane and a strange colored body, no horn and no wings, an equine. When he speaks his name and she hears his voice she stutters and begins shivering in fright.
"I.... I'm Vanity." Simply saying nothing else before deciding differently and turning towards the gray mare to keep her eyes off the huge beast nearby.
" Where am I?"

Deceased
AFRICA

Dull skin trembled beneath sleek summer dapples; the tension exuded by the timid stranger absorbed instinctively by she who was alert and watchful. Pale yellowy eyes scanned the slim glade surrounding, but for the most part no other moved- not even the rustle of flamboyant forest birdlife. Ears flicked curiously, searching also, though returning always to settle on the golden Pegasus whose figure seemed so defenceless in the vast wilderness encasing her. Africa wanted to reassure her, to sooth the nerves which flinched frequently across her hide, but she could not find the source, was oblivious to the phobia marring the mind of the other.

From the distance she had waited, the young grey could see the twitch of lips, pregnant with verbal intent; appeal or worry. Africa watched them falter, and the silence which had formed between them both was as stifling as the heavy blanket of summer heat across her sloping shoulders. Vigilant eyes switched rapidly to find the form of another, a green accented stallion who she had not before seen, silhouetted suddenly motionless before the jagged tree line. He nodded civilly, and the grey offered the same gesture in return. Without delay he introduced himself as Solace, a name which Africa had not heard either. She smiled quietly where she lingered by the periphery but began to edge a little closer when she noted the quite apparent discomfort her winged kin in the presence of the male- because of his gender, his species, his odour; she could not tell yet.

The Oracle slid ever closer to the frightened mare, nares fluttering with warmth and compassion all the while. The fear was pungent, like a thick fog churning around her and Africa waded through valiantly before extending her gentle, pale face forward; empathy a glaze across her kindly expression. “Vanity… She cooed softly, recoiling her neck and drawing her skull away again. “… this is Helovia, the Threshold where all begin.” She paused deliberately to glance towards the green tinged stallion and smiled trustingly (foolishly, but readily offering him the benefit of the doubt). “You don’t need to be frightened, you are quite safe in our company.” Of course the statement was a brave presumption but she concealed it well, and stepped away, closer to Solace as though to prove his worth of character.

He did not seem crude, rough or arrogant- his position suggested a creature who was patient, not overbearing, and that was what Africa was counting on to sway the emotion of the golden Pegasus.

“I have come to offer you a home- surrounded by the feathered like ourselves, a sanctuary, for the frail, damaged or ambitious alike. My family lives by Dragon’s Throat in the south.” The grey paused then thoughtfully and shifted slightly to invite Solace to speak- she was courteous and reasonable, and knew well the routine of recruitment.

Adoptable

Solace caught the returned nod, but his attention was pulled away from the one-winged mare and to the palomino. Fear had seemed to have taken hold of her, and Solace wasn’t entirely sure what he had done to frighten her so. It wasn’t like he towered over her or anything, but he watched the way she turned from hi and toward the winged mare. Solace made no action to speak, he watched the other mare in silence as she spoke for him. Boldly the one winged mare stepped closer to him, and he nodded in agreement to what she had to say.

“I have no intentions of harming you sister.” Solace said, his tone warm and kind. “I apologize for frightening you.” He offered the mare a smile, in hopes of giving at least a small sign of the fact he truly was harmless. Violence was the last thing on his mind, and he began to believe that his offer to the mare would be rejected simply because she was frightened of him. Which would be wise should she be suspicious of him, he wouldn’t want her to follow something she was fearful of. But he wasn’t sure what he had done to make her react in such a way. No reason to dwell on it too much, his thoughts focused elsewhere when he heard the mare extend her invitation.

“I come for the same purpose, to offer you a home.” Solace paused briefly, “I hail from the Foothills, which lies in the northeast. I cannot offer you the comfort of being surrounded by entirely your own kind… But I can offer you two wonderful leaders, Phaedra the Opulent and Apollo the Merciful, and a loyal herd that would stand beside you through thick and thin. We welcome all into our group.” He knew better than to take offense should the mare choose to leave with the other mare, and even if it was because of her fear Solace still intended to wish her the very best. It was the way recruiting went. Rejection was so frequent, and he had never let it get under his skin. This was another’s happiness, and that mattered far more to the stallion than anything else.

Image Credits

Unregistered
I watch the two new comers with weary eyes, my powerful wings stretch before my face, shielding my body and especially the long rugged pink scar that travels down my side. They had both introduced themselves politely and I have decided to give them a chance but I keep[/align] my crystal blue eyes on the green maned stallion. Fear still ripples through my veins but I swallow deeply and suck in a deep breath of hot, summer air.
Turning my golden body towards the gray mare named Africa I let a light smile crawl over my maw showing her I appreciate her kind words and actions. Lowering my wings and folding them against my delicate bodice causing a shiver to run across my scar and I flick my tail at the slight pain. Opening my pink lips I let the soft words pour out.
" Africa is it? I really appreciate your kindness and being with my own kind seems very appealing, but I must take Solace's offer to consideration also." I nod at the kind gray mare and her companion before turning towards the stallion with a gulp.
I flick my forelock from my blue eyes genuinely because I never show my eyes to anyone but I think he deserves my attention after his kindness and patience with me. I look him over from his green mane to his hooves, waving my eyes over each chiseled muscle and hair of his colored coat, I owe him this after my rudeness. Then I raise my eyes to his and its as if I stare into his soul, his very essence.
" Solace I apologize for my rudeness but you come from a land filled with all kinds of species, unicorns, pegasi and equines? I will take your offer into consideration also but I would like to hear more about it from both of you, I don't want to join a herd I know nothing about. I would like to know about gods you follow and leaders of them." Taking a step back the mare waits for their answers and hopes they accept her apology.

OOC: I switched to first person sorry trying to figure out what I like better for her.

Deceased
AFRICA

‘The Foothills…’

Wilting ears stiffened towards the white-faced Equine at the unexpected mention of the territory; is homeland. It was nestled at the foot of the large north-eastern mountain range which shouldered a great spiritual field shroud ordinarily in cloud; where ruthless Unicorns ambushed unsuspecting Pegasi.
The only time she had flown so far into the cooler climate was during her first Tallsun in Helovia, and Africa had passed overhead with still the gift of a glorious wingspan. More recently, Midas had spoken of those who rested in that land- they sought friendship with her kin, and Africa’s cordiality softened still further towards Solace. Although he could not have realised the recollection expanding in her mind, the young Oracle smiled all the more warmly for him and the still infantile relationship between their families.

Sparkling cream eyes shifted solicitously back to the golden girl and storm-grey lips peeled back to reveal the slightly stained rows of matured, well used teeth. “If you were to accompany either Solace or myself, we all would surely meet again.” She explained gushingly, though her tone was still quite naturally and mellow. “Just recently our herds have spoken about friendship.” It was a vastly generous overstatement, given that she herself had been one most opposed to the extension of such a swift bond after the invasion. Now though, perched before a demure and respectable personality from the Foothill’s midst, Africa felt more compassionate and forthcoming than she had about a group of nameless, faceless horses.

Perhaps accompanying Shadow to visit these souls had merit.

Vanity took her time to address both Africa and then Solace respectively. It was a welcome distraction from the terror which had lathered the beautiful creature throughout the chance meeting. When the time came for the dappled Oracle to elaborate about the Throat, she did so after a moment’s pause to think. It seemed that the golden Pegasus knew far more than even Africa had when her hooves had fallen across the Threshold so long ago.

“Dragon’s Throat is a vast lake in the middle of the desert. It harbours life in an environment that would otherwise be too brutal to stand.” She began, taking her cue from the silence fallen between the friendly trio. “Our herd pays homage to the magnificent God of the Sun, proud and powerful. At the head of our family are two of the finest warriors in all of Helovia, the Gallant and Gaucho...” She paused then to allow the information to be absorbed; reflecting while she did on the true wealth of her family, their steadfastness and incredible resilience against the worst Helovia had been able throw. “We are a sanctuary; a home to any soul troubled, wounded or ambitious, though primarily Pegasus build our numbers. Our ranks and minds are open to those wishing to forge for themselves a legacy, though some join for the simple luxury of life in the luscious oasis.”

Again silence devoured the trail of her delicate, sweet voice and Africa propped back comfortably to learn from Solace, his interpretation and perspective of the Foothills.

Adoptable

The palomino mare turned to him, offering him an apology. Whatever for, he couldn’t decipher. “No need to apologize, you weren’t being rude.” He said with a gentle tone. Fear wasn’t necessarily a sign of rudeness in his eyes. There could’ve been a perfectly good reason to be fearful of him, even if it wasn’t related to him himself.

Solace noticed the slight change of the mare’s demeanor. He sensed her tension came from the recent invasion, one that he hadn’t partaken in. That he looked upon as one large mistake, but it was a mistake the herd had learned from. There were no wrong feelings toward the mare or her reaction, Solace would’ve felt no different had he been upon the opposing side. Part of him feared that one day they would be, and they would be forced out of the land they called home. Vulnerability was a terrible thought, and Solace knew to his core that his family was vulnerable.

Africa spoke of the two herds desiring friendship. This came as quite the surprise to the stallion, especially the way she had reacted to the very mention of his homeland. Both of these mares were leaving him simply confused, that’s what often happened when he was in the presence of the opposite sex. Their estrogen filled minds were in a far off place that a male could never even get a peek at. Their moods could be delightful one moment, and dark and foul the next. Now, this didn’t cause him to believe they were less than him or anything. It just simply placed them under the label of, enigma. Mares were exquisite, both to be around and just aesthetically, but Solace believed he would never quite understand them.

Vanity asked for more knowledge about their herds, and Solace permitted Africa to answer first. All the information she spoke of he committed to memory, in case it should come in handy within the future. Once Africa fell silent, Solace waited several moments to allow the information about the Throat before he himself spoke about his own home.

“The Foothills is at the base of a high mountain range,” Solace began, “It lies in the northeast, and in its center is a vast waterfall. The weather is mild for the most part. As for our patron, we serve the Earth God, who is strong and kind.” He hadn’t encountered the god, but he had heard of him. Our leaders are Apollo the Merciful, who is an excellent healer and kind stallion. Then there is Phaedra the Opulent, who is an intelligent and friendly soul. We welcome everyone of every species, and provide a home to everyone from any walk in life. My home is a family, that shall remain loyal till the end.” The last words held the slightest bit more warmth and emotion to them than any other. It was obviously a truth the stallion believed whole-heartedly, and he had seen the loyalty in Apollo and Phaedra. As various other members that had been working slowly to revive what was dying.

Solace didn’t take offense to Africa’s uneasiness toward the Foothills, but he hoped at least someday she would let go of the past and see what it was now, not what it was then.

Image Credits

Unregistered

[Image: vanity_by_lainey_lou-d6voni2.jpg]

Standing between these two kind face with so much to offer I truly am torn. After hearing what they both have to say I'm not sure what I want but being with my own kind sounds amazing causing me to lean my decision at the gray mare Africa and the Dragon's throat. A lake sounds amazing and the desert sounds amazing but a waterfall sounds just as alluring. I herd has never wanted me before either I was born into it or chose to be their myself, and no one had ever been this kind to me except my father. He was such a lovely stallion and he loved me so much, he was willing to do anything for me and when my mother betrayed him and he was killed that when this pit of fear began growing. This dark unyielding shivering thing inside me that never disappears has been my burden for for longer then I care to remember and at this moment I vow to change. Sadness about by father has passed and now raising my head confidently I look at kind Solace and open my mouth to speak.
" Solace forgive me for saying this but being with my own kind sounds ideal at the moment but things could change you never know but I want you to stay my friend, is that okay? I need to start challenging myself and I think Africa can really help with that but I appreciate your kind words and actions. I finish my explanation then turn towards the grounded Pegasus, how horrible.
"Africa, the Dragon's Throat sounds amazing and warm, I am going to come there with you if that's okay. I really am looking forward to being with other Pegasi I haven't seen any in so long. But I have one condition, I would like for you to teach me about this place and maybe help me get out of my comfort zone. I need a friend right now, I have travelled many lonely miles and you seem awfully kind and helpful, I hope this isn't too much to ask."

Sorry for the spelling errors did this on my iPad

"blah blah blah."

put a neato quote or lyric here

Deceased
AFRICA

The palomino’s pretty face lifted at last as though the miserable fog of morbid memories drowning her had begun to disperse. For the first time, the mare’s flaxen forelock was let to slip from where it had veiled so evasively the fearful gaze; the pathway to the heart, and Africa met the shining turquoise eyes with a kind-hearted glance and a warm smile. It seemed that benevolence really was the mesh across a broken being, and both the grey mare’s manner and the calm, patience of Solace had settled Vanity’s unquestionable anxiety- even if only for the time being. She flicked a cheerful look towards the coaly stallion, his fern-green tresses still catching the curious glint of her amiable eye.

Vanity turned towards Solace after a long pause to consider each offer given to her. With forward tipped ears Africa listened, regarding the sincerity behind the explanation; the delicate way the golden Pegasus declined the strangely-hued Equine’s invitation. There was an air of grace about the mare which would undoubtedly be well received by whoever crossed paths with her in the future. She was as dainty as she was well-mannered, both highly flattering qualities.

The focus of the mare shifted back to Africa, and she stiffened the flaccid muscles which had been resting throughout long, lean limbs; gathering her weight equally across them. The one-winged Oracle chuckled lightly, not for one second mocking the other’s sole condition, but because the foundations for their friendship had already been laid down. “I will teach you, of course.” She reassured quickly, bouncing her narrow face agreeably. “I offer my love and support freely though you know, it is yours to keep.” She took a playful step, one stockinged leg closing the small gap which had been placed when Africa had moved to stand closer to Solace. With the heavy curtain of chrome forelock swept aside, her nose reached to butt affectionately at the palomino’s shoulder- her newest herd-sister.

Then she looked quietly and thoughtfully towards Solace, gentle tones melding through the thick humidity to meet his waiting ears. “We will meet again soon I am sure.” There was still a brittleness to the favour between them, tribal hostilities that would take many more moons to overcome. The first steps had been taken though; of that surely Midas would be glad, and a new worth had been placed upon the Foothills herd in her mind- one that she wished to explore further and develop. “Please Solace, if you are ever near the desert, stop by. Ask for Vanity or myself at the wall. You are welcome in Dragon’s Throat.” It was no empty invitation, born only out of politeness for the sake of their conversation. Africa wished wholeheartedly for the stallion to come, and they would show to him the magnificence of their world.

Adoptable

Vanity spoke, once again. Politely she turned down the offer of the Foothills, and this was of no bother to Solace. For some their own kind made them more comfortable, it wasn’t something the earthy draft could understand, but he respected her desire. What caught his intrigue was an offer of friendship, and despite her rejection, friendship sounded delightful with the gentle mare. A warm smile passed over his lipsand he dipped his head. “I wish you the best within the Dragon’s Throat. My friendship you will have Vanity. I hope you grow in every way you desire. Should you need me, simply call and I will do my best to come.” He dipped his head deeply toward the mare.

Solace listened to the other winged mare speak to Vanity. She offered up a friendship that the stallion hoped would boost her confidence. Hopefully a friendship between the two mares would form on this day, The two already seemed to be off to a positive start, which left Solace feeling content with the outcome of this newcomers arrival. Even if she wasn’t following him home, Solace couldn’t deny the fact he was happy she was happy. Just as he was about to make his leave into the forest he caught Africa’s words. They took the stallion a bit by surprise, and it took a moment for them to fully sink in.

“I will think of this offer the next time I wander. Someday soon I will come and visit you both” Solace said dipping his head toward the mare respectfully. In time perhaps there was hope for the Foothills to mend its ill relationship with so many herds. Sometime soon he would have to dedicate a gap o time to make the journey to this Dragon’s Throat. For a moment longer his eyes lingered on both mares. “Farewell to you both, I hope you have a safe journey back.”Solace then turned and headed off into the forest, singing softly as he made his way back toward the Foothills.

Image Credits