the Rift

[OPEN] Welcome, a fresh generation... (Dust, Any)

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

Unmistakable was the earnest expression melting across the sweet colt’s innocent face. Bathed in coal-grey, far darker than the silvery puddles dappling her own hide, Dust’s small features were animated with something Africa could only imagine to be bashful surprise. Her stormy maw reached towards where he paced eagerly to the side, and warm, tender breath spilt affectionately through fluttering nostrils. She was pleased that the effervescent youth would come; but more delighted still with the potential strewn across the youngest generation of aspiring shoulders. The dappled mare would certainly not let the boy down; she would tend to his needs and nurture him to the very best of her ability.

The heat of the day clung about her like a plague of ravenous locusts to a lone sapling tree. Sweat oozed and darkened the switch of her tightly canvasing coat, and flies bothered her pale face incessantly, tickling velvet smooth nostrils and harassing her pale eyes at each opportunity. The curtain of thick, wiry forelock flicked backwards and forwards as her only defence against the onslaught, and brisk snorts erupted frequently as she travelled.

Dust’s enthusiastic smile was refreshing. Not for a second did she find his nature or attitude overwhelming, off-putting, or anything less than admirable. In fact, as she watched his progress through calm, collected yellowy eyes, Africa felt rather like she was gazing into a mirror; that he was a small replica of herself- before her only recent stretch into maturity. The character he portrayed; the temperament which flourished like a blossom in snow-shroud winter was undeniably inspirational and as he quelled the flanking eagerness exuded (like she had done so many dozens of times in her life), the one-winged Oracle listened in quiet consideration.

“I think that having goals is great.” Africa reassured him soothingly as his voice wavered into hesitant nothingness. She didn’t want the colt to feel ashamed, nor like his aspirations were insignificant. As well as she could, the grey would assist his journey through life and more than anything she fancied the idea of witnessing his grand success- no matter what form that may take (her own had come with equal torment and not at all how she had expected or planned). “You can cross living in a herd off your list Dust.
See? Nothing is beyond the reach of someone with the motivation to achieve.”
A thoughtful grin spread across wrinkly lips and her chin beneath dimpled with the kindly gesture. “I will teach you all I can. You are welcome by my side always.”

They had passed a great distance already and Africa was heartened that the gravity-bound journey did not dampen the spirit of her young pupil. She took great care to monitor his progress, energy and stamina, given Tallsun’s unrelenting heat. Whenever he needed to stop, she did so willingly- understandingly. Constantly the patient mare told him about the areas through which they walked- explained the climate, how such enabled unique flora and fauna to thrive; pointing out notable features in the landscape and filling his craving for knowledge with anything relevant that was packed so tightly inside her wizening mind.

When weary hooves collided with the parched red perimeter south of the fire pit which marked Helovia’s fierce heart, Africa knew they were nearly home. She paused then, and turned through the expanding heat of the region with heavier breaths than had been required by the shade of the Threshold. Seriousness had stiffened the tranquillity of her demeanour- and right away she was thinking of Aurelia, who she had not seen for over a week.

She had cared so deeply for the gold-flecked filly, but that trust and confidence had been eroded in a short space of time. Africa had been too swift to pledge commitment and care to the girl (foolishly), so much so that her heart now ached with disappointment. Unfortunately though, she was a sucker for punishment with a heart far larger and more open than someone cleverer might have allowed- and Dust filled her with a new wave of faith. She hoped sincerely that the colt would stay with her, though never would his legs be shackled.

“I need to explain a few things.” Her voice was as caring as it was concerned- and the following was for the sake of his wellbeing alone. “Dust, Dragon’s Throat has been through much recently, and at the moment we are recovering. I can give you more details at another time if you would like but for the time being I want my warning and advices to be the most important things you remember. The Unicorns who live in the northern Basin are unfriendly and dangerous. You must avoid them please, as is the request of our leaders Midas and Gaucho.”

Africa drew a long breath and smiled at last. That was the gravest of her concerns, but Dust’s curiosities seemed to lie with the lore of the land and growth by understanding- his interest did not seem to be cursed by the same oblivious ignorance which she had perceived in Aurelia’s. The grey did not readily believe that her new young friend would strive to indulge himself at the expense of his brand new family. “World’s Edge are our closest friends and the relationship is to be upheld. You may visit as you wish, but please be mindful that borders need to be respected. So too are we fond of the Outcast band- the Asylum.

They are the kingdom alliances.”
She added quickly, remembering suddenly that Dust was well younger than his attitude depicted; that he lacked experience and wanted to learn all that he could. And so she said- “The Basin; those Unicorns, they are our greatest enemy.”

Africa fell into a thoughtful silence in case the colt wished to speak or ask about anything- relevant or not; the Oracle didn’t mind. She nudged him playfully and began the final leg to the border of the Throat.

For @[Dust] and then any one else.

Dust Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
My heart's a stereo, it beats for you, so listen close
hear my thoughts in every note...

Africa's fluttery breath felt warm and soothing. The little grey boy liked the mare, in a different way. He never liked anyone this way. She reminded him of the time when he was born. When he ran through the fields of light, and green. When he had the fond warmth of a slight companion of a black and white chipmunk. His name, Oreo. Dust missed him dearly, but he knew the little oreo wouldn't come with him to this new land. He had a home there in that very forest with his family.

Dust vowed to never forget his mum and his best friend of black and white. Africa then spoke soft words. “I think that having goals is great.” Her voice then faded into nothingness. A few moments had passed them , and all Dust did was think. He also thought about Africa, and what she was thinking. Was she thinking about him? Or how he would do in the new home? But then, he thought about what she had said. Having goals is great. He had goals. He loved to make them, and see if he could go to the limits. Or stretch them. He loved the idea of them. Just loved it.

“You can cross living in a herd off your list Dust.
See? Nothing is beyond the reach of someone with the motivation to achieve.”
Dust smiled warmly at her wisely said words. She smiled too, her lips curling into a wonderful smile. She spoke again, her voice still in a soothing drift that could send you asleep in one Hush. “I will teach you all I can. You are welcome by my side always.”

The land seemed different now. But more beautiful than the lands of the Threshold which now, seemed miles beyond reach. But Dust knew it probably wasn’t that far at all. Dust noticed that he felt like her would never stop. He loved the distances of this journey, for he knew he could overcome them and never really fear them as younger would. It didn’t even seem exhausting to him as it would others. Once in a while he would want to stop and give his thin legs a rest. He was still young. But he kept going, for Africa and the new land that he will call home.

Some different thoughts came across him. What about the leaders? Will he met them? He thought thoroughly about what Africa had said to him since he met her. Nothing about her position in the herd or the leaders. He wanted to know this, but he held his questions back, waiting for the right time to speak his words.

Africa then seemed more serious. Her breaths heavier then she had taken in the threshold. Her eyes glittered with determination. That was one thing Dust liked about her growing spirit. She seemed to be thinking of something, but Dust didn’t know what. He didn’t even wish to know about her personal thoughts. He never wanted to butt into someone else’s business. Then hope. The hope on her face and in her eyes seemed to make Dust feel a lot better.

They trekked on, Dust, happy as could be and Africa full of new faith. “I need to explain a few things.” Voice and eyes spoke of true care and concern for him, that Dust truly didn’t think he ever saw in her eyes before. “Dust, Dragon’s Throat has been through much recently, and at the moment we are recovering. I can give you more details at another time if you would like but for the time being I want my warning and advices to be the most important things you remember. The Unicorns who live in the northern Basin are unfriendly and dangerous. You must avoid them please, as is the request of our leaders Midas and Gaucho.” Dust nodded. He knew this was important to Africa, and the laws of the herd. He knew he would never let her down. Well, he hoped. The dappled mare drew a long breath, then smiled. Dust was happy she was happy. He was happy that anyone was happy, and he wished none harm. He had left his past life behind, his life now was here, and he won’t let it go.

“World’s Edge are our closest friends and the relationship is to be upheld. You may visit as you wish, but please be mindful that borders need to be respected. So too are we fond of the Outcast band- the Asylum.” She paused, then added “They are the kingdom alliances” her voice rushed. “The Basin; those Unicorns, they are our greatest enemy.” Dust had never heard of the “basin” Africa had spoken of. He wondered why she had said ‘unicorns’ but he let it go. But to show her that he was listening a grunt slipped his mouth. Then, he thought this time would be a good time to speak, about his questions from earlier. The mare was now silent. “I was wondering if your rank, if I may ask, what is it Africa?” his voice was slightly concerned that maybe she didn’t tell him because she thought he would be ashamed. But he didn’t care for ranks. He cared for personality. How they choose to live. Lying to themselves, or lying to others. About love, anger, hope. Anything that could fit. He awaited the answer. His eyes where calm as he waited. No rush.

"Talk Talk Talk."
Ooc| You had a wonderful post Riven! 992 words I believe! Good job. And sorry for the wait!

Alina Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Alina
Underneath the burning sun she flew; a pale young dove with eyes of emerald green and body of pristine white. She was a slender little story, lacking in muscle mass and bordering to skinny. Her thin legs almost didn’t seem strong enough to carry even her own weight and her shoulders looked quite weak (at least taking in consideration that she was a pegasus). She was not strong, hardy or persevering, but she had other good traits; she was kind, loving and positive. She was always smiling, an expert on finding the silver lining on each cloud and she had a caring nature. She could sometimes come across as annoying with her bubbling glee and naively positive outlook. Some even called her odd, but her heart was pure and she wouldn’t hurt anyone knowingly.

Today the young mare was feeling extra jolly. Some time had passed since her encounter with the sea monster and she had recovered both physically and mentally. The only scar that remained was a mental one; her fear of the ocean. Even before she was almost drowned and eaten she had not been fond of big, open waters and now she wouldn’t willingly go anywhere near the ocean again - that was certain.

The dove’s flight this beautiful Tallsun day had no specific goal. She simply wanted to enjoy the warmth which she loved so much and feel the wind rustle through her silky hair and downy feathers. She played with the air currents; testing them and also her own limits. She looped and spiraled, glided and climbed - she even let her body freefall now and then just to feel the rush in her stomach. She giggled and laughed at the wind and she almost seemed to dance through the sky to a tune playing only inside her own head. She even whipped her tail rhythmically.

Then suddenly her emerald eyes fell upon two shapes far below her. She couldn’t see who or even what they were, but she decided that it was her duty as a Throat member to check it out. The dove, who had stopped mid-air, retracted her wings and let her body tumble down towards the ground. She felt the pull in the pit of her stomach and she couldn’t hold back a thrilled whinny as she fell through the air.

However she didn’t want to risk not being able to slow her decent so she soon started to unfold her wings again. She banked to the left and gradually she opened her big, swan-like appendages. She started a wide downwards spiral and from below, with the sun at her back, she might resemble a vulture circling over its prey - although a vulture wasn’t exactly something that she was often compared to.

As she circled closer to the dark shapes she realized that they were horses and a gleeful nigh rose from her throat. Her voice resounded softly in a sing-song manner and her emerald eyes glittered while she continued her spiral.

The dove landed in a round lope a few yards behind the pair. However she covered the distance swiftly and soon she reached the mare and the colt. She walked up beside the colt and smiled to them both. The light grey mare smelled of the Throat, but the darker colt seemed to hail from somewhere else. ”Good day!” Alina said joyfully. ”I am Alina Josephina.”

bg and flower: locolobo.net
@[Africa]
@[Dust]

Deceased
AFRICA

The wall grew into the clear bright blue sky before them like a dark reminder; a warning and a deterrent for any whose intention so far in the south was not for the good of the horses who inhabited the desert archipelago. Even though the structure was far from completed, it rose far above Africa’s upturned face and cast a thick, cool shadow across her and Dust while they crawled like ants beside its foot, now just inside the perimeter. It filled her with great comfort to stride beneath its humbling face; to her the structure was the embodiment of security and protection- the herd within a tightly meshed clan and a fierce force to be reckoned with. The young delicate Oracle was more than pleased to be on home turf.

She turned not far from the gaping mouth of the wall (where soon enough a giant dragon would be crafted to oversee the toing and froing of the population, its cavernous jaws opening wide as the very door to the Throat itself- appropriate in all respects), and guided Dust again in a southerly direction- in towards the very centre of the territory. There, rippling through vicious heat waves, the first glimmer of the leafy, luxurious oasis could be seen. Through Africa’s subdued silence, the colt asked a question and instantly Africa’s face had swung nearer to him so that reaching, grey lips could dabble through his fuzzy juvenile mane. “I am Dragon’s Throat’s Oracle, Dust.” The answer was easy, and fell through her lips across him as steamy, tender breath. She drew her face away again, though a residual smile remained as reward for his curiosity- that was something to be encouraged in her view.

“I was only recently appointed to this role by the Sun God himself.” She glanced sidewards to meet his reaction, it was something quite phenomenal and she hoped such would inspire him still further- indeed amazing things happened to the simplest and most unassuming of beings. “It is my duty to represent both the Lord of this land, and our herd; to ask for insight because our Lord sees all which happens in Dragon’s Throat. I must tend his fire and honour him.” Africa took a breath after pausing to peer at her young friend. Behind the sparkling of his eager eyes; beneath the twitch of his listening ears, there was an intelligence rarely found in the mind of most youth. She favoured this aptitude and did not dull her language to suit his small age- instead speaking much the way she normally did, with fluidity and fine eloquence; tinged of course with the natural air of casualness that was ingrained through her soul.

“I listen to others, build their legends through song and tale; study the natural lore of this land, and the world beyond our border; uphold friendships and alliances on our family’s behalf and many other things as well. I love my role immensely and feel that it is very well suited to my personality.” Perhaps all that was required of an Oracle seemed enormous- like the bitter winter that seemed never to weaken, but Africa approached her duties with due diligence and care. She was not overwhelmed by any means. The pupils who studied and strived by her hand were an excellent support, and without their valuable backing, she would suffer. “I also work with ambitious Pupils whose interests lie parallel to my own.” The smile broadened, she was sure that Dust would eventually slip comfortably into the class of wisdom, but she was in no hurry to persuade him; she held no desire to manipulate him- it was to be his choice alone. It was only natural that eventually he should wish to accomplish himself as player in their close-knit clan.

It was in the moments to follow that Africa’s intention was to introduce the young colt to the other ranks and responsibilities in the herd- to open and expand his bubbling mind to other possibilities, and potentials within that he might not yet have thought to consider. The dapple grey hesitated though when the flitting shadow of a swiftly descending object stretched over the sand which they were walking upon. Already they were some distance from the wall (Africa’s words were never rushed), and the Pegasus landed through a spray of golden-red to their rear. In one action Africa’s rump swung away from Dust, and her body turned to meet the approach of the unfamiliar (desert-dusted) mare of snowy white.

Silas who soared through the air above them dipped his wings as the trio came together below and sailed downwards- a much more flowing spiral then the white mare before him. He fluttered momentarily above the lopsided backs of his beloved and the dark grey colt, before setting himself to rest upon the mane shroud point of Africa’s withers. Careful beady eyes observed the stranger and a low, wary rumble vibrated through his small breast for the sake of his Bonded alone.

The Oracle’s cheerful expression received Alina’s introduction favourably and immediately she responded- “I’m Africa, glad to finally meet you. This is Silas” She spoke as though rumour had whispered of the other mare’s arrival into their herd, but it had not; Africa simply meant that she easily recognised when another was relaxed and at home. Should Alina have been concealing her identity as a spy, there would not have been that lightness to her step, the oblivious glee lacing the sing-song sound of her feminine voice; this Pegasus was not at all like Shadow. After gesturing to the Zephyr appropriately, the peaceable mare looked to Dust, who she expected should speak for himself and grow as the individual he was; such a personality as he portrayed did not need the world to speak on his behalf. Respect simmered behind pale gold pools as they stroked the waver of his small cupped ears.

For @[Dust] & @[Alina]

Unregistered
@[Africa] @[Alina]

Yes, an answer to his question he seeked. And that was what Africa had given him. A honest answer. Dust never believed that she would ever lie, it just sounded to true. He loved it. She spoke of being the Oracle. While nuzzling his neck and mane softly, she spoke of how her role in the Throat came to be. The Sun God. Dust was astonished. He never thought the gods would ever give a gift so great as a rank upon a herd. The colt started to think of the name, Sun God, it was a different name, but Dust liked it. He felt like he should obey it. Shall it ever cross his path. The mare let a few moments of silence slip by them, then spoke again. Of how she listened to all, and loved her role, and how it suited her personality. Dust wouldn't know that, because he didn't know what a oracle was! He didn't want to upset her, but he had to know. Her couldn't just never understand. Could he? No. But he would let it wait until the two were more settled.

They walked on. Dust could feel the heat on his back. But it seemed lighter, like the sun wasn't trying to take all of their energy. Dust liked it. When he could just await night. The times he would fly away, get the night's full sight. How it would look around her at night, oh! Beautiful. The once parched sand would be cool, all would be silent and just beautiful. Perhaps he should do it. Perhaps he should go out sometime at night. Dust then but then let his thoughts fall back. Africa spoke once again. She spoke of how some of her pupils were more ambitious than most. Their thoughts and interests lied parallel to Africa in a way.

She had a knowing look in her eyes. It was that, that made Dust uncomfortable. But he knew it was never something bad in her eyes. He knew it must be something she could be seeing in him. Somthing of that sort. Dust thought.

A different pattern on the sand made Dust's heart pound and his thoughts run wild. He wanted to know about this thing. A sudden thrilled whinny split the air. Dust knew then and there. A mare of flight. He heard wing beats above, but didn't dare look up at something that could be falling on him. The beats stopped for a moment, then started as she landed next to him. She took a few breaths, then spoke true words of welcome, and introduction. Dust smiled at her. Her heart seemed so open and free, he liked it. She was a mare of pure white. Her grassy green eyes matched perfectly with her natural body. Africa spoke, her introduction, her and Salis. He had fluttered above him and her before he perched on Africa's withers. The dappled then looked at him. He should now introduce himself. "Hello, I am Dust. Africa's recruited me from the Threshold." He stopped himself there. He didn't want to get too into speech, because then he started to blabber. He didn't want to be rude to the first new mare he saw.

"Talk Talk Talk."
sorry for the wait!

Unregistered

Alina
The dove quickly regretted her somewhat pushy entrance when the grey mare swirled around, seemingly startled. Her intention had not been to alarm the pair and so she felt a tad guilty. Her guilt grew when a strange bird descended from the sky, landed on the mare’s withers and gave Alina a wary gaze. And as the mare spoke, introducing herself and the bird Alina wished she could sink through the red sand and disappear. This mare was her Oracle! So embarrassing!

”Forgive me, Milady. I did not know it was you." Alina said and lowered her head to show her inferiority. ”It was careless of me to barge in like this.” On her lips a slight smile still rested which could be perceived as Alina mocking the mare, but that was absolutely not the case. She was just so used to smiling that sometimes she kept smiling even when she ought not to. And besides, Africa didn’t seem all to upset over the dove’s entrance anyways.

Alina was just about to turn to the colt when she noticed that Africa was missing a wing. The dove had been so concentrated on her own embarrassment that she hadn’t realized that there were nothing more than scarring and a few feathers to one of Africa’s shoulders. She grew still for a moment and then she caught herself just staring at the part of Africa where her wing should have been. Stop starring, you idiot! She told herself and forced her eyes to turn to the colt instead.

Her social skills were not cooperating today, that was for sure!

”Nice to meet you, Dust!” Alina answered the colt. ”I too was recruited from the Threshold not long ago. By a black mare called Skuggi. I promise you that you will love it here! Everybody is no welcoming!” She continued and gave the gray colt a friendly nudge with her soft muzzle on his shoulder.

Since Africa was the oldest and held the highest rank within the trio, Alina was waiting for her to decide if they would continue further into the herdland or stay where they were for a moment. She didn’t want to undermine the dapple’s authority by making suggestions herself so she kept still.

The dove then shook the grains of sand from her body and wings and looked up towards the sun. The young cremello girl rued the day the burning star in the sky would lose its heat and the world would give in to Frostfall. Her skin was thin and she had trouble growing a good winter coat so she often froze. But still the sun was hot and glowing and no snow would fall for a long time.

ooc; sorry for the crappiness xD

@[Dust]
@[Africa]

Deceased
AFRICA

A pleased breath rattled her nostrils; the boy needed no prompting nor encouragement, his young voice sailed forward freely and confidently with both his name and reason for being. Africa chortled light-heartedly, enjoying Dust’s innocence, that which had parted from her soul many moons ago. It seemed so delicate and precious to her, like the sweet scent of a newborn. Her thoughts danced away for the slightest of moments to a time when she had witnessed through eyes just so naïve, the birth of a wolf; a lamb of the Throat. There was nothing remotely presumptuous about the colt’s genuine intro, and Africa’s warm eyes caressed him approvingly.

Again a carefree laugh split into the warm desert air, Africa’s parted jaws lifting high into the air. She stepped closer to the unsettled mare as her pale complexion sank dismally into something which appeared to Africa to be embarrassment. “You are not careless at all Alina!” her cheerful voice chimed aloud and unbridled; the young grey could find no fault in the newcomer’s manner and fluttered her nostrils warmly to attempt to sooth the nerves which were obviously as easily frayed as her own. Likewise, Africa’s own smile remained strong and true, plastered all the way across her face.

She did wonder momentarily who the pale dove thought she was- never had she been addressed in such a formal fashion, but Africa quelled her curiosity for the sake of her herd-sister’s mortification.

Many found interest in the limb which was no longer clutched to the dapple grey’s flank. In fact, it was so common for wandering eyes to find themselves fixed to the shining pink scar that Africa hardly noticed Alina’s transfixed gaze, soaking up the scar which remained. She simply waited quietly as the silence descended around them, musing over the prickle of Silas’s claws as they treadled the groove of her back; his small mass shifting perhaps into a more comfortable position.

As the flick of the other mare’s eyes recoiled from the slope of Africa’s featherless shoulder, her pale creamy gaze followed on cue- coming to rest appropriately on the colt that rose to the centre of attention. She found herself nodding along to the polite explanation- that which surely Dust would be able to relate himself too and… With a start, the Oracle’s eyes fell across the face of the white mare, her expression a confused blend of curiosity and concern. A breath withheld was all she could manage to prevent herself from bursting then, flooding the space between them- who on earth was Skuggi?

She shifted awkwardly, managing at least to hold her tranquil composure for the better of the congregation; Alina spoke many truths after all, and she was delighted that Dust could hear another gushing about the worth of the Throat. The smile lingered, although Africa’s thoughts struggled to focus; faces and names blitzing through her spinning mind as she struggled to work out who had brought this girl home. In the long run it mattered little- but after the recent invasion, such a strange occurrence was not easily set aside.

“It’s been a long journey.” She said at last through a sincere smile, turning with a softening glance offered to the enduring boy. His resilience was commendable given that a Pegasus was born to feel the wind rippling his wings. “We were heading to the Throat to freshen up before the day grows too old. Will you join us?” Africa’s expression was transparent then, and she hoped genuinely that Alina would accompany them.

Unregistered
@[Africa] @[Alina]

The white mare seemed to instantly regret her decision of landing and welcoming her self into the two's life. She seemed happy, but didn't want to be rude in a way. She seemed kind though and reassuring to Dust's thoughts and actions. Dust liked her spirit and pride in herself and others. But now her emotions read otherwise. Regret smeared her face. She spoke in a sincere tone to Africa. She spoke of herself being carless. Dust knew that was not the answer. But he didn't speak it. He just watches her reaction to her own words.

His eyes guided him to the slightly confused face of Africa. But she was fine. She was probably wondering why the mare was so rushed to apologize. But Dust understood that the dappled mare had an important role in the herd of the throat. She replied truly, speaking of Alina never to be careless, but Dust knew that the two had barely known each other, and were being kind. But it was of all sincerity. He knew.

When the colt had spoken, Dust had noticed many things. Africa had given a fluttery breath of fine-ness. He seemed to be doing something right with Africa. Not that he never did do anything right, she just seemed happy with his introduction. Alina spoke of how she was recruited by a mare of the title, Skuggi. She promised everyone would be so welcoming. Dust had never doubted her words for a moment.

She gave him a friendly nudge to his shoulder. A kind one of pure care. One of true heart. Dust knew he would be meeting this mare again. He wanted to. He just liked her spirit and kindness. She reminded him of Africa, they seemed alike and together. Both kind and strong. Both careful of feelings. Dust wanted these abilities when he grew older. He wished.

Africa spoke, asking Alina to join them on their journey. To meeting more of the herd. Dyst hoped they would be glad to see him. Even though they would barely know him. The thought slipped his mind, his head whirled as he thought of the little mare coming with them.

Then maybe they all could fly! Dust yearned to learn more about flight. He wanted to know how to take flight of a slope of which they call mountain. He wanted the feeling of breeze under his wings. He looked down at the wings key around his neck, reminding him of the magic of flight, and it's powers. He had only ever really flew when he had found it up in a high tree. It's glint of the sun giving it away. The Sun God had helped him on that day, and he would never forget it. For he would always wear the necklace. Only to take it off in an extreme emergency.

He once again though of the sky, and the breeze in his mane as they flew. He imagined it though sadly as he asked the two mares of flight. "Could we possibly fly?" Dust asked. Africa mostly, because she was his slight guardian. And he couldn't just take off right? No. Never. He would always have to ask. Always.

"Talk Talk Talk."
sorry for the wait! Once again! :(

Unregistered

Alina
“You are not careless at all Alina!”

Her laugh was like bells to the ears of the embarrassed girl and Africa’s words seemed sweet as honey. Alina had been prepared for a pat on the head and words in the line of “It is okay, but next time; think before you act, girl!” But the Oracle didn’t show any sign that she was offended and as much as it confused Alina it also relaxed her. With a happy sigh and a slight bow of her pale head the dove returned the older mare’s smile.

Alina didn’t notice the confusion in Africa’s eyes when she uttered the name Skuggi. The dove had no idea that most horses in the Throat knew the black raven, who had brought her and Virus to their new home, as Shadow and not Skuggi, but light would certainly be shed on the situation sooner or later.

Turning to Dust Alina’s eyes were once more lit up with glee and her smile broadened. She liked the young ones; longed for the day she would have one of her own. However she didn’t necessarily want a foal right that second; she was wise enough to know that she needed to experience more of life before she could take care of something as precious as a child. Dust was so well-behaved, though. He didn’t speak much; he seemed to be more of an observer which made the dove think that his mind was sharp. Only fools blabber away when they have nothing of value to say. Alina was aware that her own bubbly way of speaking could make her look a bit less intelligent than she wanted. But then again she also knew that she was being too hard on herself from time to time. And this was one of the things that she often scolded herself for.

Pushing aside her thoughts she turned back to Africa and listened carefully to her words. Her transparent expression made the girl a bit unsure. Alina had trouble detecting if the Oracle really wanted her company or was just asking for the sake of politeness. But the dove quickly decided that Africa was being sincere.

”I would be delighted to accompany you, Lady Africa, as well as you, young Dust!” She answered with yet another smile. However as Dust spoke she became a bit nervous. Her body tensed up and her emerald gaze darted between the two grays. The colt, whom she had just described as well-behaved, was asking a one-winged mare if they could maybe fly into the herdland. What if this was a sensitive subject to the Oracle? What if she was offended?

Alina forced her body to relax. She knew she was being too scared about offending people or creating negative emotions, it was a trait of hers that she was constantly working on. Calmly she let her eyes rest on Africa’s dappled frame; awaiting the older mare’s response.

Deceased
AFRICA

The air of grace and humility which cloaked Africa’s mild demeanour never faltered- even as the young lad’s words spilt with innocent intent from his eager tongue. Her eyes softened broodingly as they slipped from the pleasant face of the sweet, snowy mare and fell towards Dust. The thought had passed through her mind once or twice; flight, a gift which was blessed to her no longer- a worthy punishment perhaps for a most foolish betrayal. She was fond of the herd’s children and those who were destined to join them, but often stewed on the predicament that she would not be capable of teaching them to use their wings. Pale eyes switched between the wide-eyed stare of the colt as she considered his question thoroughly. Naturally, she was not going to disapprove; he was no slave to her own curse- nor was any other around her, not even Silas.

Quietly she looked back to Alina whose expressive pastel face had creased with the uncertainty of the situation. Africa smiled easily, sharing the warmth of her heart. “Our sister will take you I’m sure,” the young Oracle replied at last (though truly, barely a moment had passed the little group by)... “You’ve been wonderfully patient Dust.” She drew a long breath and shifted her weight gently to rest her left side, thinking all the while about the vast highways which channelled so far above, beyond the reach of any primitive soul who was burdened to a life upon legs. It brought her little sadness- much time had already numbed the rawness of her loss, and Africa shrugged mentally as the familiar shadow of her bonded breezed across them.

Silas had followed the mare and her newly acquired recruit from some distance; lagging lazily as the heat of Tallsun sapped the energy from his slight, feathered figure. He was a creature of the night; the hue of moonless midnight, speckled by the stars themselves. The brightness of day, the searing stain of the sun’s golden rays, and even the life which was stirred to wake when the night hour was through; all brought little comfort to the nocturnal Zephyr, though he suffered through with no complaint for the love of his mate.
His broad wingspan rode easily the swift breath of heaven and he circled as they had walked steadily, soaking up the scene which spread before their tread; listening to the thrum of Africa’s cool pulse, dozing indolently while she was out of harm's way.

As her companion fell gracefully from his lofty setting, the young Oracle turned her face with a tender smile to welcome him. “Silas. She whispered to him through her mind, spreading with it a wave of peaceful light which touched his heart as ecstasy; even while the name fell short of his avian understanding. The Zephyr came to rest upon her rump and her tail stilled its redundant, mindless flicking. “Alina, take all the time necessary.” The dappled mare soothed, unworried that she would venture the remaining leg of the trek with only the company of her bonded. “Should we meet by the lake when Dust tires?” Her eyes danced affectionately between the winged duo- the colt, she knew, would not hold the stamina of an adult (especially after the tedious nature of the journey just passed. Africa’s ears pricked attentively, eager to find herself relief from the day in the luxurious comfort of their oasis.

Unregistered

After Africa spoke Dust knew it was too late to take back his earlier words. "No Africa, I just wanted to-" he broke off as he stumbled over a rock buried in the sand so he could not see it. He lurched off balance and onto the steaming hot ground. It was sandy and it felt like snow, a different feel to it though. It was rougher. And hotter!

Dust pushed himself up, his eyes flying to Africa, a pink color flushed his face making him look to his hooves. Would she be mad? Dust didn't know. He had never seen her mad. Trying to finish his sentence he whispered small crooked words "I just wanted to learn... thats all." He managed before Africas attention shifter to her bird's well, Zephyr's. It seemed the mare was fine with this. But Dust didn't want to leave her. He wanted her to teach him! Maybe Alina could too! Dust just wanted a teacher. One who put a lot of thought into their students.

Dust sighed as Africa started to talk to Alina about meeting by the oasis. Dust didn't know what it was, but he didn't want to ask. "No" he muttered. "I want to stay here with you, Africa!" he said turning to her sadly. A smile crossed his face. "Please?" He begged. "I just wanted to learn, that's all!" He said louder now. He wanted her to understand him. Why he had said that, and why he was being so foolish to do so.

"Talk Talk Talk."
Ooc| Wow. This is slightly late! I am sorry! I am on and off wifi (everyday!) and I was just on a 8 hour car ride, not available with wifi. Sorry!

Click this!

Unregistered

Alina
Once again Africa displayed her seemingly flawless temperament. Alina had met only one other mare as kind as this dapple femme and that had been Josephina; Alina’s namesake; the mare whom she wished had been her real mother. Instantly Alina felt that she could trust Africa to always be there if she needed help and she wowed silently to make herself available if ever Africa was in need of assistance. This mare was too good not to befriend and she wished the gray felt the same way.

Turning to Dust with a gleeful smile Alina said: ”Well then, young Dust, let us fly!”

However the colt now seemed regretful and stated that he wanted to stay by Africa’s side. Alina completely understood him; Africa was probably the first safe haven he had had since he left his own mother. And for a foal his age to leave the side of the one who kept him safe would feel wrong. Alina wondered if she should try to encourage him into flying to the Oasis together with her or just leave it up to Africa to handle the situation.

She kept quiet for a while; watching Dust rising from his fall and listening to his pleading. It was obvious that he was anxious, maybe he was scared Africa would disappear if he took his eyes off her? It was a feeling Alina could understand and she wondered if the colt had been abruptly separated from his mother before he came to Helovia. She decided to ask him about his past someday.

”We will meet her in a short while, Dust. She will not be far behind. Also, if you want I can give you more lessons in the future.” Alina finally said with a reassuring smile.

Deceased
AFRICA

Quiet eyes reflected the boy’s sudden flood of remorse with pooling curiosity. A soft smirk toyed with the wrinkled corners of her steel-grey lips and the whiskers lacing the dimpled chin beneath swayed to the subtle twitching as she thought. Even the bright invitation ushered by his ghost-white herd-sister did little to ease fraying spirits and flailing guilt. Africa glanced towards Alina who seemed to understand; further still, to accept the change of heart- perhaps far better than the Oracle herself.

She drew a breath as Dust stumbled and recovered with the swiftest reach of her velvety nose to ensure his stability afterwards- although tender hearted and quick to shed the needs of her own for the sake of another, Africa was unused to children; to their immature thought-patterns and undeveloped emotional capacities. Though barely parted from the yolk herself (psychologically), she struggled as she tried to empathise and appreciate his perspective. If nothing else, she could quite easily see the steadfast loyalty which had flourished between them so quickly, and it softened her heart still further than she could have imagined possible. Certainly, there had been no such connection as profound as this with the wayward spirit of Aurelia.

Alina spoke again, her voice filled with care and reassurance and the words between encouraging.

The Oracle stepped closer to the colt, her naked left shoulder brushing intimately with his undersized wing- that which had folded again with the realization of his mistake. She found nothing that he should regret, no insolence to wound her ego, nor foolishness to render his own reputation foul. Her neck curled around with grace proffered by the timeless elegance of her ancestors and her lips found the smooth, hornless space between his lovely young eyes. Delicately she planted a kiss upon him- one to both comfort and reassure him, that all would be well. Of course it would be while they were snug inside the borders of their mighty home. To him alone she whispered, lifting her mouth to the nearest of his still downy ears, “One day, when you have learned well to fly, I will take lessons from you.” A chuckle rumbled through her chest and she lifted her face to Alina with a faint nod; a gesture of gratitude. “At this rate, I will be there before you!”

With that, Africa swept forward through a wave of yielding sandy loam, hooves cutting gravely into its parched surface, and pushed herself away. Naturally the travel of the flighted pair would be swifter, and the grey would slow once they had flown from her view- she wanted Alina to take her time; for Dust to quench his thirst for those bountiful updrafts which stroked the blue arc above the desert.

[Ooc: Lol Dust’s picture hahaha. Very cute.]

Unregistered
Alina sure wanted to fly. But Dust still had doubts about Africa. He knew she didn't have the power of it anymore, the power of the sky was not in her capability anymore, and Dust was not going to let her go. "Teach me now?" He asked her. Looking up slightly before Africa spoke, she had gotten closer to him, the shoulder of no wing brushed his folded wing. She then did something Dust did not expect. Giving him a kiss, where a horn would be. His eyes showed amazement, but yet curiosity of why she had done it. Maybe for his comfort, yes, comfort. That is what Dust went with for now. Smiling a little more. But one more thing had come from Africa's mouth, soft spoken words. With a little joke to it. She seemed to make sure Dust only heard. Her voice was more happy than before. When she nodded to Alina speaking of her being there before us at our rate. Her smile returning to her darkly dappled face. She then, very gracefully swept off, at a slight lope. Dust smiled at her, then turning to Alina he spoke words of eagerness.

"Teach me?" His ears pricked and eyes alert to show her he was listening to everything she said. He wanted to know all about flying. But first, he spread his wings, giving them a little air. Watching the dark tips rise away from their hiding spot. He lifted them into the air, high up where the cool air flowed. He was getting bigger. Before just the tips reached the air, now the whole of the black reached. "Come?" He asked more excited.

Unregistered

Alina
Quietly Alina watched as Africa picked up where she had left off. A soft kiss was placed on the colts forehead and words she could not hear was whispered into Dust’s ear. Curious the dove leaned closer, but she understood that the words were meant for the boy and not for her. But she got her fair share as well; a thankful smile. Before Africa could turn and leave Alina said: ”We will see you at the Oasis shortly, Milady!” then the Oracle was off and the dove turned to Dust with a broad smile.

The colt seemed very eager. He unfolded his wings; stretched them skywards and he looked so full of anticipation that it warmed Alina’s heart.

”I don’t know how much you have learned previously, but while taking off under these circumstances with soft sand under our hooves it is easier to start by cantering as fast as possible while beating your wings.” she instructed and positioned herself with her downy wings half extended. She also moved her body so that she stood beside him, although giving him enough space for his wings.

”Okay Dust, now concentrate so that you don’t stumble on your feet whilst running. Canter as fast as you can and beat your wings every time your right front hoof hit the ground. Timing is key; it keeps you steady in the beginning." Alina said as she turned to face the sand dunes before them. ”Let’s go!”

She heaved her body forwards, knowing that she would be faster than the colt. If she was a few steps ahead of him it would be easier for him to copy her movements. She beat her big, downy wings; careful to do exactly as she had instructed Dust to do. Since she had been flying for years she had developed a feeling for it, but if she wanted to guide the colt to that same understanding she had to teach him the basics first.

As her powerful wings trapped the air beneath them she felt how her body became lighter and lighter until her hooves didn’t touch the ground anymore. She turned back towards Dust and called over the wind that rushed in her ears: ”When you can’t feel the sand anymore tuck your legs underneath you and keep beating your wings at the same rhythm.”

Deceased
AFRICA

In tune with the flex and rhythm of his beloved mare, Silas had parted with her in the moments before her launch forward. The rush of air beneath his wings was a luxury of which he never tired, and between silent wing-beats he departed the little gathering of similarly feathered kin towards the oasis.

The sound of voices; the colt whose enthusiasm rose again with joyful giddiness, and the dove-like mare (Africa thought both by nature and to look upon) with her delicate tones and obliging nature, lingered in the Oracles wake. Even as she slowed to a more comfortable lope, ears swivelling to find them still standing where she had left, a smile fastened itself upon her mouth and she was so pleased with each of the souls who had pledged themselves to the same cause as she.

The sand slipped playfully, and slithered about the touch of her large chipped hooves as she went, challenging her athleticism there where she was forced to stride among the shackled and bound species of the world. It was a task well managed regardless, and by now the skill of her Pegasus footing had improved to such a great extent that she might easily have appeared though the hazy heat of drifting day, to have been gliding all the while.

So unusually blessed had been this day that the Oracle felt a warm satisfaction stewing through her core; writing through her veins, and it brought to her tired self great liberation. Unmovable was the now rare show of pure and simple optimism , and for the time being she imagined a world; a life, not tarnished with the morbid brushes of pain and suffering- instead flourishing with light and laughter, that which Alina really seemed to emanate.

She paused part way through her journey across the sands to glance across her shoulder, and into the air the colt and his teacher were rising with the beauty and grace bestowed upon them by their winged ancestors. Africa drew a long breath before turning again to continue...

[Ooc: Africa is ducking out of this thread for now (don’t want to hold it up with pointless ramblings). Whether you choose to start a fresh one, or keep this alive, tag her when they arrive in the oasis and I will jump back in <3]

Unregistered
Dust was going to be free. Free from the ground. He was finally going to be better at the art of flying, It was one of his dreams, now, he was going to pursue it. He smiled as Alina explained to him how to take off. She have him a pose, just for guidance. He pictured himself in his head, doing the exact thing. He wanted to star right away, but he knew it didn't work like that. She told him to try not to stumble while he was cantering, Dust didn't want that! She then, gave the signal to go. She took off, her face lit up. Dust did a few moments after, to give her some room. He whinnied as he gained his speed. His brown mane flowing back, his hooves light and dainty on the sand. He did not expect such a thing, for it was different t for him to be delicate with things. Very. But he liked it. Dust copied Alina, her muscles bending and pushing the same way in their body.

Dust felt a different pull from under his wings, it was scary and amazing at the same time. Breathtaking. Dust's hooves became lighter and light or the sand dunes, his gaze shifting under him as he naturally curled his legs between him. It was a wonder. "Wow" he whispered to the air. He pumped his legs, but it unbalanced him slightly. Be he caught himself, wobbling steadily in the air. "How..." he started to ask Alina when he noticed how far away she was. He had drifted far, not noticing how far until he had looked. He flapped, encouraging himself to move his butt faster. When he came up next to Alina, he smiled at her starting his sentence again, the wind flying past his ear made it hard to hear himself. "How did you do that falling trick?" He asked her, slightly yelling so she could hear. "When you fell from the sky?" He described. He awaited the answer when a large pond came to view, no. Was it a lake? Yes, a lake of wonders.

"Dust Talks!"
Dust
I know, I am late for everything. Really. You can be mad, and outraged. I am terribly sorry for this! :( I will try and reply sooner, I apologize for holding this wonderful thread up!