[OPEN] Contaminated Soil [Africa]

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Voodoo
tear me open pour me out,
inside there's things that scream and shout

Hours upon hours of walking, the aches that I thought were making me irritable earlier are now making me both miserable and angry. The sway of the dark tail with crimson streaks tucked and tied in so neatly had kept me in a sort of hypnosis along the way; no, I was not staring and lusting over the dappled rump of my friend, just looking for something to distract my scrambled, shared thoughts. Such things ran through my mind as: why such an off color on such a light body, what had her family looked like, what it a random characteristic, so on and so forth. They seemed to become distracted by the oddball coloring as well, but had to anger me by bringing up the fact that my acquaintance was de-limbed at one point of our stranger stage.

The forest air -though already dry from the constant pulse of the sun- lost its' vegetated scent and slowly became less bearable. Our path cut through the open flames and bitter smog of the Heart where Africa and I had first met. The heat belched from the core of our hideous land in waves, the flames dancing hungrily, lusting to reach higher and higher into the air. I can only imagine its' desire to leap out and eat away all of the surrounding dry vegetation, only to eagerly slip into the green forests and eat away our food sources, along with lives of the homeless.

Homeless: that is -currently- what I am. I have not been accepted into the homeland of Africa's, nor was I ever correctly "accepted" into my previous home in the Basin. I had the privilege of meeting the proud stallion Mauja while he lead, and I had made acquaintances with a few of the other lower-cast herd members.. but I had never made anything of myself there. How I miss the cold embrace of the northern winds and shallow snow drifts.

As if the inside of my skull were a steamy window, I could feel each of them pressing their curious eyes against my field of vision, wanting to see where we were going just as badly as I did. My limp was showing now and making me feel next to worthless.. what a first impression this will leave if we stumble upon one of Africa's herd members. "This heat is going to be the death of me. Are we close yet Africa?" If it were physically possibly, the words would have stuck to the roof of my mouth, if they had even been able to make it up and out of my throat. It felt as if I had chewed on a cotton plant the entire walk and it had dried up every drop of saliva in my mouth.

Thankfully the sun has been on it's way to set and disappear below the rolling edges of the distance for some time now.

Tagged: @[Africa], open otherwise
Text here "Chat here." Voices here

i run but it stays right by my side
Table by Frostie
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

The journey into the south was not without its difficulties. While they walked, it was only too apparent that the grulla stallion was uncomfortable and agitated. His gait was lopsided; Africa could see that through the corner of her pale eye as he trailed her, and it did not offer much comfort for her swollen concern. Visually, Voodoo did not appear all that different to how she remembered him from the summer last past- there were scars strewn across the silvery sheen of his hide; worn stains marring the black stockings pulled up about his lean legs. The scent which clouded around him was not so much of the damp, northern mildew she detested so gravely- it was a weather-beaten stale, like the stench of someone who had not the care to groom themselves. Brambles and burs caused great tangles throughout his swarthy black hair, knotting fierce clumps together so that he looked rather slovenly. She snorted briskly and smiled inwardly, reassuring herself that a thorough bath would remedy the aesthetical flaws which had tarnished his otherwise, still quite appealing, physique.

Along the way; the long way, Africa rehearsed in the whirlwind of her mind how she would approach the Gallant and the recently appointed Gaucho- because both were no idle ornament in the again burgeoning desert territory. She was uncertain whether they had seen Voodoo before, whether memories about his previous resting place would stir sourness through the meeting to come; and it made her nervous.
They passed from the swishing dry grass of the vast meadowland onto the much harder packed read soil around the heart, and the rise in temperature was sickening- it sapped the moisture from her mouth and each pinched breath she drew from the fire-land was laced with the dust stirred by their hooves. Although the heart was indeed a beautiful region, it was harsh and unforgiving- more so even than the desert she called home. The gems beneath her weary tread were smothered by the sudden wall of head high grass, and Africa snorted roughly as the disturbed wispy wheat-like seeds joined the swarm of flies to bother about her bouncing nostrils. The area was so dry and the young grey’s skin itched terribly.

She was more than pleased when they parted from Helovia’s heart; hooves at last sinking into the familiar slip of burnt, red-gold desert sand. The journey was nearly at an end and she turned for the first time to check on Voodoo. Some lengths had spread between them- whether because of the wretched heat blistering around them, or because her steady pace was too much in his drawn condition. A tenderly affectionate smile lifted the stress from her pale grey mask as she waited for him to close the gap. He asked her whether they were close; told her that the warmth was unpleasant- in his not so eloquent fashion. She laughed very lightly, a forced sound that was meant sincerely but was so hampered by the weight of all that was to unfold. Very soon. “I will take you to the beach. I think you might prefer it to the lake.” She mumbled softly, turning again towards the ominous black wall which was still only half made across the border of her home.

Skirting the oasis, the core lifeblood of the herd, Africa guided her friend down as far south as the frothy white shoreline would permit. There she turned to Voodoo and pressed her nose close to him, drawing as deeply as she dared the gruff, unclean scent of him. “Soak yourself for a while. The salt will do your body good, and the cool waves will refresh you.” The young horse dipped her lips towards the lapping water as it slipped up the beach, only to vanish into the sand by her hooves. “I am going to find someone to bless your stay.” Naturally, she wanted her adolescent crush to stay forever, but it was not her choice at this point.

There she left him with Silas, who fluttered cautiously over the turning waves beyond the sand- ever watchful. Africa broke into a beat canter in the direction of the lake, hoping for the sake of her sanity that Midas or Gaucho were around.

@[Midas] or @[Gaucho] would you mind jumping into this if you have a chance? If not, that's fine too, just let me know and I will work it out in a later thread ^_^

Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

Standing watch as a sentinel I got the unending privilege to witness the rise and fall of yonder sun. Thankfully the colors of blue turned toward a more pleasant hue as evening slide across the horizon and pushed aside the blazing Templar. A blessed cooling followed, it was both a relief and curse to the inhabitants of Helovia. Too often I felt the eyes of my family stretch up to heaven around the hour of twilight, obviously wondering if the sustaining orb would rise again tomorrow. It seemed to some that not even the pattern of seasons could be counted upon. On this eve I ventured toward the sea, yearning to feel pristine waves and smell the bitter stench of salt. Fina was left behind in our Magnolia tree, catching a few extra hours before twilight.

Africa came over the dunes just as I drew near. A welcoming smile slide expectantly across my face, the Oracle was becoming a familiar sight, a pleasant change to recent abandonments. “Hail Oracle, good eve dear sister.” My muzzle stretched eagerly to make contact, steps quickened their bobbing approach to close the distance with measured swiftness. Warmth filled the lonely caverns of my wounded heart, just the sight of something tangible, something reliable was enough to brighten even the darkest corridors. In this strong creature there was hope; a proof that trials could be overcome. I didn’t yet known that a brother to our most hated enemies stood beyond the rise and fall of dunes.

OOC: Sorry so short ;__;

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased
AFRICA

Her gait was choppy and without the usual elegance that blossomed from a lovely Andalusian heritage, and hooves slipped clumsily through slippery sand, her mind distant to the rolling landscape which she crossed. Africa was utterly exhausted, mentally and physically; her spirit sapped by guilt and fear, a mushroom cloud that never seemed to diminish from her life; energy drained by the relentless heat of summer and the gravity cursed journey from north to south without pause. She was more than relieved to find the clear wash of blue sky above dulling into sombre twilight, the shade cast upon the blazing desert offering respite from the cruel sun. Pale, creamy eyes were shot with red as she scrambled onwards into the depths of her unsuspecting home, and they scouted- no matter how vaguely, the area around her for the movement of her clan.

She wanted so dreadfully to do the right thing by those who had always offered her naught but grace and kindness; to find somewhere within the timid fractions of her heart, courage and morality. Africa was not a liar- though more and more secrets she seemed to need to hoard away. It was for the good of the herd, right? This time though, her actions; her foolish, selfish gesture (even though the driving intention was entirely the opposite), was not something that could be concealed- it wasn’t something that should be hidden. Even if the thought had been a serious consideration, too many strings in the sticky web had the potential to unravel and fray around her- it was not the answer.

A familiar silhouette came into view, climbing through the sand in her direction- towards Voodoo who she had left by the sea. His painted form struck sudden and wild fear through her heart, and she hesitated and stumbled forward through a wave of shimmery sand. Midas had seen her, diverting his way- no matter how slightly, so that their paths would collide. Any other time, Africa would have been undisguisably delighted to see him, but as he drew nearer; closing the dimming space, she held her breath and waited uneasily. Quickly, she forced a smile- her trademark she thought, that would hopefully conceal the tension brewing within, into her expression. “It is a nice evening Midas…” She answered with an unusual dullness to her soft voice as their noses bumped tenderly. It could not be helped- Africa was not an actress; her heart was quite transparent, and her manner much the same. She would have made a terrible spy. Already her heart was sinking into the grizzly depths of her chest; the golden eyed stallion was so much more to her than the head of their herd- he was a fatherly figure whom she could not deny respect, and theirs was an ever growing friendship which she adored.

She imagined Midas to be the purest of characters; warmth always spilled from his presence; his record must have been impeccable and as clean and healthy as the first flakes of Frostfall’s snow. Such a character could do no wrong. She squirmed nervously across restless, tired legs.

“I bring both news to please and some which I fear will not be so well received. I will start with the better, I think.” Africa’s eyes danced awkwardly between his pupil-less gaze, unable to find the regular mirth inside herself that might have helped her through the moments to come; instead her face wilted with the fading light.

“I have met a stallion from the Foothills, Solace. He was gentle and well-mannered, and I realise how wrong I was to judge his herd. Their reputation was tarnished by some, but he is not like that status paints. I quite liked him. I extended to him an invitation to visit us should he ever travel so far south, I hope this is alright.”

She drew a long breath then, pausing naturally to allow the Sultan to offer his insight. Truly the young mare did not want to continue; she wanted right then for the still-warm sand to rise around her and swallow her away from the trouble which unfortunately seemed so determined to haunt her footsteps. It did not though, and the time soon arrived for her to face the consequences of her actions. Grimly, her eyes fell away from his.

“I have brought from the Threshold a Unicorn. He has recently escaped the Basin.” She stopped broodingly, and debated whether to add that Voodoo had never sworn himself to their malicious, wicked cause. She thought in the scheme of what she had done already by bringing him inside the wall, something so trivial would hold little merit. “He was not a part of the invasion- I fear his ailing-mind was not aware of the cult surrounding him.” They were not excuses; she knew they were truths and although her tone was torn by worry for the situation unfolding as a whole dark cloud upon her world, she spoke honestly to Midas. “Voodoo is my closest friend- my body and my life were broken by the Basin, I understand that they are not to be trusted- I realise they are our sworn enemy. But he was never one of them…” she was not going to cry- her heart had been hardened by the brutality of her experiences; the stewing emotion was forced down. There were no more tears to shed.

“Voodoo has proven himself to me, time and time again. He has a good heart; he has just been lost for so long. He needs a place to settle and…” ‘I was hoping you and Gaucho might offer him a chance to show his worth to you.’ Africa’s fearful eyes were flung around towards where Voodoo had been left- where Silas was waiting for her return. Surely the Unicorn stallion would never know or understand what she had done for his sake.

(ooc: Thank you so much Angel, I know you are very busy <3 Skipping Voodoo with Nev’s permission this round.)

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

If only Africa had known that my thoughts mimicked a cry that was vaguely the same as hers. We all had burdens to carry, secrets to keep for the sake of others; yar, I kept my personal matters hidden behind a facade of pleasantries. But that was all the act was; a show of pleasant and polite responses to keep those underneath satisfied, or in most cases worry free. Sometimes, once in a very great while I got the chance to gallop across the skies in abandonment—forget my responsibilities and failures.

I could see unspoken words straining to break free from behind her eyes, it was written in the gentle folds of her delicate structure. She didn’t try to conceal it, because the way she carried herself forward seemed sloppy and distant. Discontentment was a trait that seemed keen on plaguing many of our family of late. Her soft response to my greeting was appropriate, but it lacked a sense of vigor. I lingered for a moment against her warm skin, relishing in the closeness of my ally for a few moments longer than just a polite bump.

Concern wouldn’t be forced to linger unanswered for long, Africa spoke again. My smile fell away when Africa gave a rather blunt indication that I wouldn’t find favor some of her report. My face moved aside, pulling away from her to gaze into those soft eyes with a wash of curious interest perking my ears forward. She mentioned Foothills, a changed opinion on the matter of a transgressing herd becoming our allies. I didn’t see anything wrong with this and simply nodded approvingly as Africa finished speaking about Solace. It would be nice for the rest of our family to see the new Foothills.

She paused, which gave me a chance to praise her efforts, “Aye, ye did excellent; I’m glad to hear your travels bore fruit,” gently my lips curled to offer her a favorable grin.

The Oracle turned away, successfully breaking contact. I bent my skull to follow her direction patiently—waiting for the dreary news she had promised. “I have brought from the Threshold a Unicorn. He has recently escaped the Basin.” Surprise gripped me for a moment longer than expected, ebony ears slipped back against skull as the desert lass went on to defend the unicorn which was obviously in close vicinity. For many long moments I said nothing, only listened to what she had to say.

Africa looked up, though it wasn’t to me; she was staring off toward the sea. Likely where our Basin company stood by. Finally I spoke, my voice slipped out with tender notes for her sake—but behind the tenderness was a cold hardness that she was likely unfamiliar with, “Take me to see this lad. If he is as ye say, then we shall see if our home can be shared with one of Northern blood.” The smiles had vanished from my face, in its place was a stern but relaxed mask. I wouldn’t tolerate a liar in our beds, and too often I’d had seen violence and liars breeding bastard children into this world. “Ye say he has an ailing-mind?”

Deceased
AFRICA

Despite the fault and uneasiness hazing through the shimmery yellow of her gentle eyes, Africa felt an instant relief having shared a portion of the burden, of her doings, with the gold-wielding stallion she valued so much. It was a confusing kaleidoscope of emotions (shades and waves churning between a complex mare and her devoted bonded); some much easier to quash, others like the overwhelming weight of infidelity, bubbled like molten lava- waiting craftily for the fissure to form. Perhaps her behaviour wasn’t so terrible like she thought, but Africa bore a good, well-meaning heart, and it tortured her to think she might in some way have impaired relations with her family- it was agony to keep secrets from them.

The dappled mare could not tell whether her brittle defence of the stallion who splashed just over the rolling dunes beyond their sight, had been understood. Midas was a clever heart- a rare and valuable combination of mind and matter that Africa held in great esteem and aspired to. His disposition, even now as she brought before him news that might have angered Kri instantly, seemed rigid; balanced and solicitous. Her eyes had returned from their vague gesture south, seeking out quietly and nervously his reaction to all that had been revealed.

His voice was like it had always been, gentle and comforting to a soul frayed by melancholy; but she could feel something different, something she couldn’t quite recognize. All of a sudden she began to fidget restlessly, touched by distantness that she had not before felt in the company of the Sultan. Eyes slipped away quickly as he finished speaking- the content of which was neither enraged nor thrilled.
As she let a long minute whisk them by, Africa wondered if Voodoo was worth the cost of jeopardising all the quality and comfort her life had become (no matter how superficial). Silently, with a sunken head, she remembered him standing there in the Threshold alone between two redwoods- not waiting for her; not waiting for anything. He was no spy… What vain fool had she become where her own luxury was worth the wellbeing of another- and a friend no less?

Charcoal ears flashed forward abruptly and her gaze followed with the same unexpectedly determined haste; Midas was not smiling, but Africa was certainly not expecting such. Carefully she sought the bottomless pools of her superior, and with firmness of her own that was ill-fitting across a face so meek and unobtrusive, the one-winged Oracle answered, “Yes, he is feral to look at, not sleek and young like I remember. There seems to be a battle behind the glaze of his eyes, he can’t hide it from me because I have seen such illness before- his mind is infected.” Shajake had been the same- though much more like a limp marionette dancing beneath the strings of his schizophrenia; the voices which blurred his conscience. For Voodoo she hoped, time was suddenly on their side. Although quiet and calculating like he appeared to be, the grulla had spoken some sense- he had expressed himself level-headedly enough to convince her.
But there was no reason to confuse what had been said already with worthless ramblings, so she kept the depth of her experiences and theories locked away for now.

“Voodoo is just by the sea.” She had hidden him away shamefully, and for that she was sorry. Already her limbs were in motion, guiding Midas through the warm spraying sand towards the impatient roar of their cherished neighbour. As they neared, Africa could see the hovering form of her treasured companion above the waves, and her heart warmed with insuperable affection.

(ooc: @[Voodoo]. I don’t think we need to tag after this, just normal posting order from now on?)

Voodoo

Quite quickly upon our arrival into the dust bowl, my dappled acquaintance lead me to a sight that I had not expected to see: blue waters that lapped the sandy earth steadily, white froth sticking to the hot sand for quick moments before it evaporated back into the surely salty earth. Wine red eyes took in the nearly unbelievable sight; from what I had gathered, there was supposed to be nothing here but sand, dry grass, and plenty of dust. How wrong are you? they mocked in a whiney pitch, their make-believe eyes still pressed eagerly against the sockets in my skull.

Africa suggested wading in the waves, claiming that it would do my body good. The only waters that I believe could ever revive sore muscles were that of the hot springs in the Basin... steam rolling off of the top of the waters that were plotted so perfectly in the snowy valley. But, they are no longer what I have, so this may have to do. Glazed pools lifted up to the one-winged mare just before she spoke, dual colored ears pressing toward her voice. “I am going to find someone to bless your stay.” And with that, the gray turned on a dime and made her way back into the desert, leaving me with her flying... crow? "Blessing?" I muttered to myself, though I'm sure my speckled friend did not catch it.

It sat there, watching me, staring with it's oil drop eyes.. what is it thinking? An odd feeling began to crawl up my spine, causing me to stand ever so awkwardly in a frozen position as I watched the dark feathered bird watch me. Speak to it. Shoo, go away bird. Leave us alone "Uhm.. go away, bird." I finally grumbled, my ears cocking backward as if I were irritated. I lifted my crowned skull a little, attempting to show authority to something that surely did not care. "Scram?" The word was supposed to roll off of my tongue with force behind it, but rather dropped into a low-mumbled question.

Minutes seemed to drag by, the heat setting on my dark hide uncomfortably. The sun really is not my best friend, though I do enjoy his return much more than I had thought I would have. Still the bird floated carelessly over the water, it's eyes boring into me and creating a bit of an irritation in my guts. Reluctantly, I peeled my eyes off of the flying rat and slowly drug myself into the waters. Initially, the waves were like a cold slap in the face; one that made you want to suck every bit of breath you could back in just so you could whine for a few minutes. Eventually I found myself standing fairly deep in the cool waves, allowing them to lap across the middle of my belly, the tension slowly dwindling from my tight legs.

Dry air was so uncomfortable, and the ocean salt seemed to make it even more intense with each small breeze that would glide through the rolling dunes. My tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth, begging for some form of liquid to help wet my throat. Curiously, I dropped my face to the moving waters, sniffing it as if it were different from the rest of the ocean. Without enough reaction time, I began to sip in the grotesque water, letting it run over my tongue and down my throat before the fact hit my brain: this is disgusting. Nostrils flared and I exhaled loudly, my jaw hanging slack to allow a stream of water to pour from my mouth and back into the ocean.

As if they knew I was making a fool of myself, the duo crested over the sandy hill just in time to possibly watch me spew out the briny liquid. My jaw snapped such abruptly and I lifted my skull back into the air, ears rotating backward. Red eyes found the bird; "Thanks." I growled, sighing afterword. It's a good thing you're so spectacular at first impressions! one of them giggled, dashing off into the depths of their small prison. I pondered on introducing myself to the stallion that was littered with gold. Perhaps I should get out of the bath first..

I cleared my accompanied mind before allowing myself to do anything else, though of course you can always tell a crazy from a group. My eyes surely always give away my mind-set, but I'm sure the tangled, matted hair, along with the ungroomed body, creates a perfect illusion. "Africa." I spoke her name as if I were greeting her into my home -as if I knew what was going on- as I made my way out of the cool water, just now feeling all of the sand that has wedged its way into my thick coat, leaving a layer of grit on my legs. "I am," I paused as I exited the water, my tail swishing back and forth quickly in order to somewhat wring out. "I am Voodoo." my empty eyes reached out to the magnificent male that stood before me, accompanying the space next to Africa.

A pang of some strange jealously shot through my brain and ended in my guts, leaving a bitter feeling on my now salty tongue.

Tagged: @[Africa], @[Midas]
Ooc: Oh my god, I'm sorry it's so long and weird, I'm in a funny mood. Lol.

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

I wasn’t the type to ignorantly judge someone before first sharing words with him/her; but it had become understandably hard of late to maintain patience and understanding. Especially with the threat of Basin invaders constantly nipping at our heels. Yar, people were becoming demandingly difficult to trust. I’d expected Africa to answer my questions honestly, even if it meant my judgment would land us into a disagreement—and there certainly would be a disagreement if there was even an inkling that this fellow couldn’t be trusted.

“Can the infection be mended?” I ask quietly when she demonstrated knowledge of the affliction her ‘friend’ carried. As we walk toward the foamy surf, my mind slips back to a certain painted lass; Onni had often said that she wasn’t capable of fixing inflections that involved the mind and heart. If this virus had struck him beyond repair…that in itself would be enough to warrant damnation. A decision that might test Africa’s loyalty, and my courage.

We heaved over the sandy dune just in time to catch our visitor cough out what appeared to be a mouthful of seawater. My lips remained tightly drawn in their calm, impassive line as I observed Africa’s Basin friend from a privileged distance. He either very desperate for water, or not so bright—as perhaps brought about by fault of said warring illness.

At first glance the boy certainly appeared travel weary, dark coat and long legs are drenched in a not so thin layer of muck from the woods and sand from our desert. Our company stepped from the ocean to meet our approach, I paused halfway scenting the air and simply observing during these few crucial moments. The beginnings of a smile creased my face, though anyone would had been around me could have known the difference between a beam of business, and one of genuine delight. Yar, Africa would likely know which feature would present itself.

“Midas,” I replied shortly, without frilly title. For a moment there was a lapse of silence, I took that time to quietly linger in those dark orbs; purposely searching for something that might prove threatening--issue an instant decision. Subtly my gaze shifts unimpressively ever so slightly to the oracle who had brought this creature into our home. In that same instant they snap back to the horned visitor, “Africa tells me that ye desires to stay?” A small smile and polite vocals mask any sort of inner conflict that might be residing from within—as far as anyone knew, this was just another routine joining.

Deceased
AFRICA

It could not be mistaken that the confused mare cared for her home, her family and their trust. Already she had severed the relationship binding all of these, though it was still an internal conflict of which no other beyond Silas was aware. Undoubtedly the time was coming to disclose the events of her past to someone most trusted- but that time was not now, and she was not convinced that the Throat’s royalty suited as a shoulder to vent upon. Voodoo swam through her vortex of thoughts and her heart raced wildly, unable to manage the stress compounding upon its sensitive nature. Silently she looked to Midas, and the very presence of her mentor (he was that in a sense), the friend who had plugged the many holes of need and loneliness during her time here in Helovia offered that comfort she sought. He was her constant in a troublesome world madly changing.

“I fear I’m not so wise that I could answer that.” Her voice answered shakily and honestly before the tangle in her mind could reel it back from her parting lips; already her eyes were wandering the length of his honourable façade and she felt like a feeble child in his shadow. “I want to help him, and I have seen others who are beyond aid; far worse and without any lucidity. That is why I have hope.” A thought flashed through her mind then, one which had been planted as the most insignificant seed during her pained stay in the mists of the Edge. “I’ve heard rumour of a stallion who can heal the broken mind. I can’t remember a name though.” She felt the sudden weight of futility and wondered where she would be left standing if Voodoo could not be helped. The situation was enormous- far bigger than Africa trusted herself to be able to manage.

-

As a duty he remained while his beloved fled across the parched dunes of their home- she was safe, no harm could find her, surely.
Critical eyes moved from her vanishing figure, surveying thoroughly the long blood-red horn which spiralled stiffly from the very centre of his shadowy face, and he thought grimly about those just like him in the pocket below the mountains. When he had found her broken, beaten corpse rotting in the shadow of her depression, it was the horned horses like this one who had been closest; who had been there, so close, only to ignore her and pass by as though she were mere snow upon their slopes. It still angered him, still boiled his virtuous heart, but Africa had washed the memory from her mind and now mingled amongst them- though Silas could not tell the difference between those from the north and those who were of more noble intent. To him, they were all cruel and though he could not comprehend the mare’s immeasurable ability to forgive and forget, he withheld his resentment for her sake.

“Uhm.. go away, bird”… “Scram?”

The Zephyr’s beak clacked in response to the sound of the creature’s strange voice rising from below. He did not understand what was said, or the warning switch of his mane shroud ears and flapped unfalteringly above the rolling waves; eyes watching carefully all the while.
To him, on guard and quite occupied, little time seemed to pass them by- the horned beast slipped into the salty stew but appeared really to do little else than wallow there, perhaps in thought or maybe just uselessly passing the minutes. Silas exerted himself little, although he did hesitate and caw the second the stallion’s lips were lowered as though to drink.

-

Africa slid down the dune combing the beach clumsily, and noticed quickly that the tide had climbed far higher than where she had left it. Rattling nostrils and the soft, almost inaudible note of greeting drew her mate from his watch even before she had slowed and halted, and the Roc slipped quickly to meet her despite the voice of the stallion airing again, his chest purring with warm regard. The mare’s pale eyes embraced him briefly, and then continued into the surf to find Voodoo swimming, spluttering and scowling.
Initially her heart sank, dismayed by the first impression which would greet her Sultan, but she stiffened her waning confidence and offered a gentle smile towards her bathing friend. The red-nosed stallion waded out from his cool reside, a dishevelled unkempt mess, to meet them, and Africa reached with quivering nostrils to bump against the nearest part of him as her name left his lips. The tenderness was not lacking, though her nerves created a precarious wall over which she was struggling to climb.

She thought silently that if Voodoo was nearly as uncomfortable as she was, he was hiding it extraordinarily well. Her long-time friend addressed Midas with some ease and appropriateness; his manner mild and the confusion in his befuddling head hidden well from the meeting. For this Africa was relieved and pushed a smile into her transparent, bemused expression. Anxious eyes glanced between the two stallions- the black and white, fringed with shimmering beautiful gold, and the grulla who had seen better days.
The veteran warrior replied with courtesy- certainly more than the intruder upon his soil deserved. Africa listened in humble silence, the flimsy length of her tail licking with agitation one flank and then the other. For now she knew it was up to Voodoo to proffer himself; to sell and present his case with purpose. She hoped desperately that he wanted this fresh start and generous chance to belong, even more than she did.

Voodoo

The pair of winged bodies stood quaintly in their sand bowl, the microscopic shards of eroded rock slipped across the warm earth and danced around any obstacles. The paint grinned at you, the smile touching his lips but not reaching all the way to his gold-washed eyes, "Midas." was all the plated stallion offered. Africa stayed silent, a smile washing over her grey maw as she watched the two of you. We watch through red windows, you stare at the gold, pupil-less gaze of Midas, a grin pulling the corners of your lips and offering a twisted smile for a short moment before falling back down.

Soft-spoken, yet straight to the point, the color splashed stallion questioned me, the way he speaks throwing us off. Your ears flick around, the left pressing forward as you process the question. Do you want to live here? What is there here for you that is not at the Basin? A home, yes.. that is probably a good thing. And, Africa of course. She is pleasant to be around. Maybe here you can actually be something? Doubtful one of us mumbles, and your eyes completely zone out, still directed at the male before you, but not focused on him whatsoever. A snort of anger rolls from both red tinted nostrils.

"Yes, Midas, I am looking for a home." Both pupils dilate momentarily as you gain your focus back on the silver collar that hangs proudly over Midas' shoulders. "I want to make something of myself, I do not wish to simply waste away in the cold." Both ears snap back at the thought of the waste of time you took in the Aurora Basin. Waste of space, waste of time. You cannot do anything differently here, you moron. They won't trust you! Not only because you're the enemy, but because you're FUCKING CRAZY! Nostrils flared into large circles once more, but you did not allow any hot air to roll out. We jump from our positions and giggle and laugh for a while in our window of entertainment while your face contorts into an angry scowl.

Somehow you are able to pull the scowl off of your face and look to the one-winged mare, a smile broadening across red lips, yellowed teeth showing beneath the grotesque color. "Africa has changed my point of view on a few things, she knows me better than I do I believe. If I am able to call your home, home as well, I am willing to do anything. That is, if Africa believes that I can?" Our windows shift from the dappled mare back to the magnificent Midas, the smile dropping into a grin. Your heart thuds hard, ears rotated forward once more in hopes of good news from the paint.

Tagged: @[Midas], @[Africa]
Ooc: Switched up the typing style right in the middle. I work better with him this way, haha. Sorry guys!

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

We would see if this stallion’s mind was tacked in place enough to hold a reasonable conversation with his betters—and not slip into insanity. His explanation is well met and my smile softens into one of understanding tolerance. A mind would melt away when idling the hours, there was no fault in simply desiring something to occupy ones time. “There is work and fellowship aplenty dear Sir, I’m sure we can find some craft ye would enjoy doing.” Be it brawling or mending, worshiping or digging—this family had multiple outlets and seemed to possess many who where a jack of all trades. So far so good, he mentioned how Africa had changed his views and that drew my curiosity more than the mysterious way his eyes had a habit of flickering between awareness and empty space, “how so?” I ventured softly—lingering on the quiet Oracle as he had.

If this unicorn could prove to be a boon then I’d be more than happy to find a cure for his aliments. A healer who could mend the mind was worth traveling to see for the sake of a brother—‘a brother who had traveled from the land of our enemy’, my consciousness was quick to remind, ‘tis a possible traitor or liar; or worst.’ It was lucky that I followed the teachings of my father instead of those by Kri—she would have chased his newcomer a new set of legs, whereas Da schooled patience instead of violence.

Deceased
AFRICA

The afternoon was dry; the salt spraying constantly from the turning waves beyond the beach offering little in the way of rehydration for sun-drenched skin and dust strewn pelts. Africa longed to sink into the cool grip of that consoling sea, to wallow and abandon her stress, and soak her wearied self in oceanic bliss. The shimmer of white froth beneath the heavy orange weight of the late day caused her eye to wander for a fleeting moment and she saw in the distance the slimy grey of a dozen or so dolphins playing in their element. The flicker of a distracted smile slipped across her shifting maw, but it faded into oblivion almost as fast, the burden of the meeting at hand to enormous to escape.

Voodoo snorted sharply though the cause was not apparent outside the unpredictable confines of his skull. Africa wanted to gag; the response was not quite as chivalrous as she had wished it to be, but when the crimson-horned beast then spoke afterwards, she was forced to bite her tongue and listen. So coherent was that which fell from his rough, weathered lips, that the one-winged mare couldn’t help the step forward which compelled one white stockinged leg, and her quivering lips sought in that moment to rest upon her friend’s salt-saturated shoulder. His speech; the explanation offered to the Sultan before them was certainly more than she had thought possible. Fluttering in humble reflection, her nostrils breathed softly upon his hot hide there and her eyes closed to remember the first time they had played together like children- the stalking, the fire and the rescue. The silliness that had been Africa’s centre of gravity seemed such a lifetime ago. The Oracle sighed through an expanding smile, and drew back her face when the flutter of her conflicted heart grew too great. The stir of her long time mentor’s voice was a welcome distraction from the chain of sticky thoughts.

The atmosphere seemed to brighten then, the afternoon sky to clear of the choking fog which had descended upon only the nervous dappled mare. She could not have known the curdle of his thoughts, be the shift one of suspicion or intrigue- or simply one reassured by the olive-leaf attempts of this madman. Regardless, she felt lighter, and her ears danced with renewed faith that all would perhaps be well after all. Still, there was no reason for her to join their chorus, and she settled more comfortably by the two stallions in waiting.

[Ooc: I’m so sorry. Life swallowed me :-O
@[Voodoo]]