the Rift

Sanity Is But a Mirage

Epona Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Epona
~No wealth, no ruin, no silver, no gold
Nothing satisfies me but your soul~

Ice eyes dance along the scenery of the forest that the mare trekked through. The trees seemed to climb upwards towards the sky for forever. Epona respected them, they never ceased in their climb towards the sun. They did not fear cheating for the title of best, many of their thick leaves blocking out the life for other plants. A deep smirk lifted the mare's pristine white lips upwards. She would be like these trees one day. High in power, thought of as strong. Every horse would know her name; a tingle would run down their spines whenever they thought of her. She would never cease, she would continue climbing upwards until she reached the sun of being high in power. She would do whatever it took to get there; the death of others would not stall her. She craved it. The mare would feast upon her opponents, throwing them to the side and continuing on her climb.

But to become well known and to hold power one had to start somewhere. That was why the mare was in this forested land. She could not go on with her life as a rogue or outlaw, she would never climb ranks that way. Oh no. She must become a part of a herd, become well known in those ranks. Get close to the leaders, get high alliances. She needed people to be on her side. That would be quite hard for the mare, seeing as she despised most equines and lusted after their meat. But, she would overcome that. Anything was worth power. You will fail. The mare shook her head at the voices, ignoring their discouraging words. They didn't know anything. They were trapped in her brain all day; they knew nothing of the real world. She would succeed, with or without them.

Hoof beats play out melodically as Epona moved through the trees. She wasn't sure exactly how to go about this, but she knew that she had to try. The mare knew who she wanted to be accepted by. The Basin resembled her home in many ways; the thick snow that she had heard covered the lands would be a welcomed familiarity. The mare loved the cold, despised anything that resembled heat. So, she wanted most of all to go into those lands, become a part of the 'family'. A gagging sound resonates from the mare at that word. Family was nothing to her; but she must play the part.

Epona stopped her trek through the forest, eyes wandering over the tree clouded horizon. There did not seem to be any equine here. A sharp snort erupted from the mare. She had better not come here for nothing. They do not want you. A front hoof strikes out against the air impatiently, surely something was going to happen, had to happen. They all know you’re going to fail. White masked ears flick around the mare's dainty head, listening for any sign of life. A loud, bell like, nicker rolled from the mare's barrel; calling for whoever was wandering through the trees to come to her

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik
A lone man loved by none:

How long can he live?

The Threshold was like a second home now, an easy, slightly warmer, believably safe place for Torleik to let Irelyn play and frolic. He chuckled as he watched her flutter into the air briefly, snapping up a flying bug and then landing rather ungracefully on the ground. She was getting better, though, with each passing day. One day she would truly be a beautiful little creature. One day.

"Quiet today," he rumbled, looking around. There was no one to be found within the trees, where normally life was teeming and all manner of four-legged personalities were seen and heard.

Kwaih...ett...

Torleik smiled as Irelyn tried another new word. "Quiet," he repeated for her, chuckling a little as she tested the word on her mental tongue, playing around with it over and over. She knew a few words like 'yes' and 'no', and her name, but mostly still sounds for things she wanted to convey, or emotions. A low call suddenly echoed through the still trees and Torleik's eyes narrowed, summoning Irelyn back to her nest on his back with a swift, terse thought. The owl griffin clambered up his mane swiftly and settled in, wide, yellow eyes peeking out, curious and wary.

The large, dual-horned stallion began a slow, deliberate walk towards the source of the call, glacial blue eyes on sharp lookout. The Tallsun weathe wasn't so oppressively hot today, and for that he was grateful; it allowed him to keep his wits a little more about him. Nares flaring as he spotted a blue roan figure to his right, Torleik approached with measured slowness. The scent identified her as a mare, and he studied her white-masked face carefully as he drew near. "You called?" he said simply, assuming this unicorn was new. If she called, and had reason, she would state it.

[[OOC: Welcome!! :D]]
Credits: Image by Eagle
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Unregistered

Epona

Enemies fall before you, growing into the ground below your feet. But does one ever truly die? Ghosts haunt your every step. They know what you’ve done. They want revenge. They will come for you.
Dainty ears flicked this way and that, listening for any sign of life. The air in the forest was remarkably quite; even the birds that surely perched upon the many branches of the trees here did not utter their disgusting songs. Epona was usually happy for this type of silence; she greatly disliked noise and commotion. But the voices that raked through her brain were being rather rowdy at the moment, echoing sharply around her head; and the mare was desperate for something to break her out of the trance that they always put her in. There were times when the voices were good, allowing her some glimpse of genius that she had not thought of herself. But this was not one of those days, they were out for blood. Hoping to tip her hooves over the edge of insanity that she precariously danced along. Or had she already fallen? Oh it was so hard to tell these days. It’s a miracle she didn’t just charge over the cliff, into the calming abyss of hysteria. But some tie kept her in the realm of the sane, a strong chain that resonated from her past. One that she barely remembered these days.

They will come for you. Epona snorted at the voices, unsure of who exactly they were speaking of. The ghosts of her victims? Well she had killed them once, she could do it again. ”Let them come.” Her lyrics trickle from her lips in a whisper, the mare not wanting to break the pristine silence that enveloped her. They will come. They will not stop. The dead shall not parish. Bald face shakes wildly, trying to rid herself of the haunting voices. She did not want them saying such things. They will take you. Make you suffer like the beast that you are. A sharp hoof strikes out an unseen force, hoping to scare away the nerves that arrived when the voices spoke like this. They seemed to be all knowing, and so if they said that something was coming it always seemed as if they were right. A slight sweat begins to accumulate over the mare’s body. Partially from the sun that managed to slip through the thick leaves, though it also originated from the fear that occupied her thoughts.

They’re coming. As the voices spoke their last threat a sound snapped the mare out of her trance; sending her spooking away from the noise, a sharp snarl erupting from her white lips. Epona’s head arches high as her ice eyes slip across the scenery, searching for the sound that had caught her attention. There had been the sound of hooves on leaves, she knew it. There was no way her mind had created it, it was far too real. Finally the mare’s sight catches a form twisting through the trees. At first the mare’s clouded judgment took him for a ghost, his black pelt that of night. But soon he came closer and Epona saw that he was tangible, just an equine answering her call. At this a deep sigh escaped the mare, a bell like laughter rumbled from her throat. How are you to be powerful when you jump from such?”Shhhh…! The mare reprimanded the voices quietly, this was their fault after all. If they had not worked her nerves she never would have acted out in such a way.
As the stallion closed in on her Epona took the chance to look him over. He was a very handsome brute. He stood only a little bit taller than the mare, his coat a deep black; though he had white markings on his stomach and chest, as if there was snow falling upwards onto his body. Two horns grew from his skull, so he was one of Epona, this caused a smirk to lift onto her lips. Though the strange thing perched upon his back caused this smirk to falter. She looked over the thing for a few moments, before returning her icy gaze to the stallion. His words then filled the air, asking if she had called. His voice seemed somewhat gruff, cold.

Epona gently tipped her head at the boy, trying to judge his character, gazing into his bright blue eyes. But they would not reveal their secrets to her, so the mare straightened her skull, horn twirling upwards to the sky. ”Yes, I called. Epona nodded her head gently, trying to remember the manners that she had learned many years ago. "My apologies for my previous show. I seem to be a bit jumpy today…" The mare chuckled lightly, more to herself than the stallion in front of her. You sound ridiculous. The mare ignored the words of the voices, keeping her attention on the beast in front of her. ”My calling is Epona." The mare gave a slight dip of her head. She would never bow, to anyone; but this was her sign of respect. ”I was calling for the hope of finding someone who could help me. I am searching for a place to settle myself, a land that I could be a part of.” Epona nodded her head along with her words. She hoped by some miracle this stallion could help her, and if he could that he was from the Basin. Hopefully the Gods were smiling upon her at this moment.

Torleik

How long can he live?

The mare in question seemed to bolt from him like a cornered animal and Torleik wondered what he had done to spook her. His appearance was imposing, certainly, but he approached slowly enough to ward off any impressions of ill-intent. He heard a hiss of air leave her mouth, 'sshhh', and paused, giving her a strange look. Was she shushing him? Herself? Did she think he didn't see her yet and was trying to remain hidden?

Strange.

He came within a few foreleg lengths and asked her if she had called, knowing full well it was she who had done so - there was no one else around to make any noise. A thought flitted across Torleik's mind, then, that in moments like this, murder would be so simple in the Threshold. No one would ever know who had done the crime. Had someone entering Helovia ever committed such an act? Slipped away to live? Were they residing within this land even now? Taking reprieve from his shadowy thoughts, he focused on the mare speaking. "You may call me Torleik," he replied, ignoring her comment about being jumpy. Something told him that was normal behavior, the skittishness.

Epona asked for a home, and Torleik considered his options. He should recruit for the Basin, but something about this mare was off - and how many mares had he met that were 'off' in one way or another? The people that came to this land simply weren't normal. His home had been a much less crazy-filled place. Mentally, Torleik sighed, checking on Irelyn for a moment; she hadn't made much of a presence known in his head for this exchange. Her usual regard for others was suspicion so it didn't catch him by surprise that her tiny little form emanated the same aura as always. "As you are a unicorn, I can extend an offer of residence in the Aurora Basin, just north of here. This is not a deal to freeload, however. You must have something to offer, some skill you possess and will be willing to use. Our herd members are useful.". The dual-horned demon wasn't sure what possessed him to make that utterly clear, but he felt he should.

No man is an island.

Unregistered

Epona

A cold gaze watched the newcomer idly once the mare’s nerves had calmed down. She noted his pause and strange glace at her whispered sound of silence to those blasted voices in her head. Pale brows gently lift towards the sky, Epona pondering over the thought of explaining her utterings to the boy. Oh no, there is no need for that. The painted roan had to agree. There was no reason to let on to this new stud just how critical the mare’s mental state was. No need to let him see just how far she dangled over the edge of insanity, held on by a thread from her past that was wearing dangerously thin. Laughter bubbled up from inside the mare, rolling past her alabaster lips. He’ll think you’re mad. At this the mare ceased her laughter, though a few sputtering giggles still emerged from her maw.

The stallion’s deep voice once more broke through the silence that seemed to shroud the pair, uttering his name. Torleik. Strange. The voices were right, in none of her travels had the mare met another with such a name, though she had never been granted the privilege of meeting one with hers, so she wasn’t truly one to speak. The mare tipped her head once more to the beast, a light smile playing upon her trickster lips. ”A pleasure, I’m sure. Her voice was like velvet, the siren song that she used to lure stallion’s to her web. But this stallion was not for luring. Sure, he was a handsome brute and maybe on a different occasion such a fancy would strike her and she would wish to play one of her games with him. But not today, she needed something from him of a different sort.

Epona noticed his dodging of her previous statement of her flinching, as if he believed it to be a natural occurrence. He would be right. Ears flick backwards at the voices before flipping towards the stallion once more. In truth, he would be; though Epona did not wish to admit so to herself. Through her trip into the bowls of hysteria the mare had acquired quite the jumpy nature. Mostly it was due to the voices that hounded her night and day. They would convince Epona that something was after her, causing the mare to believe it heart and soul; so she would jump at every noise made. Other times the mare would get so lost in heated conversation with the voices that she would not notice the approach of another being, their voices ripping her from her own thoughts and giving her a start. But the mare was not weak, though her strength was not in her nerves; no it lied in other, better, places.

As the stallion spoke once more the mare’s elegant lips lifted upwards into a cool smirk. He was from the Basin, and the stallion was offering her residence there. ”Ah, just the herd I was hoping for. Oh the blessed cold that you possess there, reminds me of another time, a good time.” The mare became lost for a moment, thinking of the past life that she had lived, how it had been filled with happiness and light; much different than the darkness she now drifted through. A true smile fluttered onto her lips at these thoughts, though it was soon ripped away. That is all gone now. We lost that happiness long ago. They were right, and it did not do well to dwell on things that were lost with no hope of ever returning.
The mare was just able to catch the end of the beast’s speech, his lyrics telling the mare that The Basin was no place for freeloaders, that she must be useful. Ears jolt back to her skull, a deep frown setting onto her face. Is he that insolent? How dare he accuse us of wanting a free ride! Does he believe us to be incapable?! Did she really look as if she were a horse who wished to just sit idly by and let every other equine do her work for her? She had never been that beast, and The Gods forbid she ever would. But, it was of good judgment to make this known. Perhaps the stallion was in the right by saying this. Epona knew of many equines who would wish just to waste their lives away performing nothing more than work of their own good. So, with a small snort the mare chose to let his statement go; ears flicking upwards once more, lips returning to their cold straight line.

”Why would one wish to join a land that they had no part in? Why would one sit idly while their fellow members toiled away? I assure you, I am not one to do so.” Her words were true, spoken with the strong pride that flowed through her veins. The elegant mare was not afraid of hard work. That was what it would take for her to get where she wanted to be, on top of the world, and so that was what she would give. Epona had heard the stallion speak of how she must have some type of skill that she could contribute to the herd. The mare was not the sharpest tool in the shed, nor was she kind hearted, but she did have some things to share. ”Sir, I do not claim to be the best in any field. But I am strong. Both in heart and in body.”But of course not in mind. I have many skills in battle that have been worked upon for years.”One must be able to battle to take down prey.”I am loyal. No greater tie is of that than from me to my fellow members.”Except for that time when you ate all of your family members… Epona dismissed this thought, the had already fallen. She did that to survive. But there was a time before that accident when nothing meant more to the mare than family. She would have given herself up just to save one of her herd members that day, and she would still do that now. The mare thirsted for power, this was true. But she would never deny a fellow equine the right if they had earned it. She would never dethrone her own leader, or friend, just for the lust of being high up. She was all of the things that she spoke, and so the mare hoped it would be enough to gain entrance into the place that reminded her so much of her past life; though the stallion did hold an unsure gaze on her pelt.

Torleik

How long can he live?

[[OOC: This will be short-ish since it's basically my turn to wrap this up. After this, you can request an admin make your status part of the Basin herd :D]]

The voice that continued to speak to him was certainly smooth and easy on the ears, but Torleik was not easily swayed by such things. A certain manner of detachment had settled inside, creating a disconnect between certain manners of seduction and his loins. Perhaps it was because of his recent past, or perhaps he had always been this way, but Torleik did not very much fancy the idea of females as objects for pleasure.

Simply nodding as Epona said it was a pleasure - she was sure - to be meeting him, he offered her a place within the Basin. Suspicion flagged her next words. Just the herd she was hoping for? Was she aware of the herds within Helovia already? Was this someone who had been here before and was returning? Was this a spy? Face utterly unchanged despite the thoughts inside, Torleik made no outward indication that he was any more wary of the mare than before. "A fair reason to choose a new home; my choice was made by motivations quite similar," he shared, honest, knowing that would be his normal response.

Torleik informed her that the Basin did not cotton to freeloaders and was amused at her somewhat offended response. "If that is so, you should be just fine within the Basin," he returned, intrigued by her choice of response. Was she so vehement about her qualities because they were true, or because she wanted him to believe they were true? Something slippery about this mare did not sit right with him and Torleik knew this was perhaps a calculated risk bringing her into his home. However...didn't everyone deserve a chance? A place to live?

"Follow me; I will show you to the Basin." The rune-horned stallion walked alongside Epona, leading her to the mouth of the Basin just north of the Threshold, the cold expanse spreading before them. This was to be her new home, then. Torleik let some of his worry slip aside. How many lived here, and he never saw them? She would find a place here and live her own life, as all the others did.

"Welcome home."

No man is an island.