the Rift

[OPEN] wear these words on your lips;

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
She stepped out into the morning from behind the curtain of emerald moss that covered the opening into her cave, the sky a portrait of watermelon pinks and placid indigo's, her face lighted by the colored light that streamed down through the scant clouds that drifted lazily overhead. Days like this, she was happy to be alive, glad that she had slipped away from her mother's side on the night of her death and had avoided the same cruel end that had met both her parents; glad that she had managed to remain living despite the way her tongue often prodded others in precisely the right places to drive them towards her throat, teeth snapping. The mountain looked it's best in the warm red wash of the rising of the Sun, as far as she could be concerned, and she looked long and lovingly at the sight before moving towards the hot springs.

Slipping up to her mid-shoulder into the delightfully warm water, her tail a collection of black adders moving along behind her, she bent her knees to let the liquid flow across her withers and back; her weekly summer bath, a luxury that could be afforded only in the warmer months at such heights unless one wanted to remain in the water until the snow thawed. It was hot, but not unpleasantly so; she felt sweat gathering around the base of her ears and the curvature of her throat, dark bangs sticking to her moist forehead as her eyes nearly rolled back into her head with the pleasure of the sensations rippling across her skin.

Rising to her full height now that she was mostly wet, she shook vigorously to remove excess dirt that might be clinging to her pelt and repeated the process several times before stepping out of the warm waters and out into the full blown morning sunlight, shivering her flesh to release the clinging water from it's location on her golden streaked coat. Like a dead thing, her saturated tail hung limply behind her, a few extra inches than usual meeting the grass in it's heavy state, the woman feeling, for the first time in days, entirely whole and alive.

@[Tolio]

There was a river once,
with many round stones
enchanted by shallow hopes
of embracing the ocean;
water is peculiar this way,
how its life is a line
that cannot bend or change
without the approval of its bed.

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit
I'M THE BLOOD FROM THE KNIFE I CUT YOUR HEART OUT WITH
</style>

Nothing had truly changed since the weak being he once had been had turned and fled the land he now stood firmly rooted upon once more. Same frigid caress of the wind by morning, not that he was newly wakened. Depth of night had greeted him when mercury irises had met the glow of the betrayer's light. Nyx had chased away his slumber, arisen him into her domain, and he had listened acutely. It was not long for dawn, but it gave him time to wander the snowy mesa he once knew so well. Time had been given for re-acquaintance, and he had taken it, yet there were so many names and faces he no longer knew. When he had left, Mauja was worn and weary, but the crown was aloft upon his brow. Now, with a little questioning of Frost Fyre, there was a golden-gilded lady by the title of Illynx at rule, and as of the last herd meeting- one he had stubbornly not attended, for lack of desire to be found out of place in a home he had seen rise from nothing- Deimos was appointed Lord of the Basin through Psyche's disappearance. Now Tolio was no huge fan of Psyche, but she had been the one to fester his hatred, to lift him from weakness onto the path of power he now walked. A good leader, though one he had not sworn allegiance to, despite her ranking. She would be missed, in the passive way that Tolio could miss people.

Cavorting across the icy ground was not in his to-do list, so when the sky ran blood-orange red tinged with blushing rose and a hint of tangerine, an amusing soup of shades and variations of color, he decided it was best to rid the chill from his coat. Often times in the morning the springs were unoccupied, as the citizens were more often than not valiantly fighting off the chill as they curled up in their caverns trying to maintain the warmth they had garnered throughout the midnight hours.

Steam rose in obvious sign of the placement of the springs, warm fog rolling like playful ghost pups across the frigid landscape. In moments it would lift, disperse, and vanish. Striding through the intangible sight barrier, all that could be seen of his flesh was the crimson red of it, like newly spilled blood on a snowy canvas. Water would do him no good, merely enjoying the warmth the steam offered, not desiring the extra chill of cold air on stagnant water that held no more heat. There were so few around in the early mornings he didn't expect the figure to his left, passing easily and efficiently past him towards the golden fingers of sunlight poking and prodding through the cracks of the mountains as the sun rose ever higher. Intrigued by the flash of gold and amber, Tolio turned to follow her, facing the rising dawn alongside the nameless maiden. Or was she really so nameless? Her countenance was familiar enough, regaled in tales from a youth's lips. Was this the Illynx he had heard so much about from young Frost?

Rare to find such peace on a morn like this. Rumbling from his chest, his voice is smooth and deep, though unused to verbalization. With so few in this herd whom he still remembers, and who would remember him, it has not seen much action in the past season. Chuckling softly he looked to the lass not far from his side- of course he had given her space, he didn't want to get a horn to the gut, and he'd met some pretty testy people before- and realized that speaking had effectively broken whatever tranquility she might have obtained. Apologies, I probably should have left you to it without my own intrusion. Shaking his crown, cropped mane as alert and perked as ever, he skated his gaze over the doe's similar golden stripe.

Tolio's the name. Been here since before the Basin was made, but not quite an ex-Edger. 's prolly my fault you don't know me, I'm not much for announcing my presence. By chance are you Illynx, the Lady of the Basin? Curious silver orbs turned to face her, brow quirked and lips set in a subtle, but charming, smile. Might as well try and give a good first impression, right? He'd probably screw it all up within a moment as it was.

Image Credits

The snow seemed to cling to the stranger's crimson pelt, his appearance drawing to the woman's lips an amused smile; how perfectly he fitted into the dreamy, snow laden landscape, an ember that glowed in the white blanket. She had seen him before, occasionally while on her patrols but, most notably, during the last meeting that the Dark Empress had held, one of her first moments back among the herd since her lonesome heart and sent her out into the realms outside of Helovia. While most days she may be irritated by the intrusion, her light mood was reflected in the way that she quickly pulled closer to him, her bodice breaking apart the tendrils of silvery steam that rose from the waters she had just abandoned. Rivulets ran down the arch of her neck, splashed crystalline droplets in her wake, her straight and exuberantly long draping dragging across the plush and emerald grass of the valley as golden eyes gleamed in delight at having a conversation to join into on such a fine morning.

Since rising to her position, such occurrences happened more and more often. It seemed that with the title came the obligation to hold meetings with each of her horned minions, and to be honest, the naturally social woman didn't mind. She had changed much since her bitter youth, the adjustment in her attitudes towards life belonging to Psyche but also to the herd itself, the dark ribbon of wickedness that flowed through them, known as the Plague. In their embrace she had found a liberation of her chained soul, and while the heart of the monster was still black as the deepest night, she was quite talented at pretending to be sweet and friendly as any of the others.

"Indeed," she replied to his comment on the peacefulness of the newly born day, nodding as the word of agreement slipped like arsenic laced sugar from her lips, dainty hooves nearly soundless as she approached him. It seemed he wasn't much for conversation, his tones holding a gravely rumble that whispered of disuse, but she did not hold such things against him. After all, he wasn't the one trying to lead a herd in his state of solitude, unlike Deimos, who's existence alongside her still rubbed far too brazenly against the grains of her perfectly formulated and imaginary world, and she herself had once been much the same.

How life has changed, she muses, her ears rising, one ravaged and gruesome atop her crown from the venomous bite of that hornless, skull faced bitch who had dared challenge her on the sacred ground of the mountain valley. It still miffed her quite intensely that the once beautiful hill of pebbles and stones now lay strewn where there had once been grasses and wildflowers, but so busy with her new position and the responsibilities that came with it that she hadn't been able to slip away and demand the capture of the insolent wench. Either way, the wraith had vanished as quickly as she had come, her offer of friendship rebuked quite violently by the bitch who knew there would be no love between the blank browed fool and her kin.

His laughter was pleasant and thrilled her inwardly as she approached, the ego of the woman purring away in belief that it was she who drew such noises of amusement from the lips of the man, and his apology was sweet to her raised ears despite that it showed a weakness on behalf of the stallion; she herself never apologized for doing as she pleased. "There is no need to apologize," she giggled in a breathy lilt, shaking her head in amusement at the statement, but she could not truly blame him for his hesitations; so rancorous were some of the horned beings on the mountain that such an intrusion was liable to end in violence, but it was never so with the golden horned woman when it came to those who shared her home. "I am not so reclusive as to deny a word to my beloved companions."

The cruel voice in her head rumbled in hysterical laughter; she didn't love a single one of them. But he did not know this, and neither did they. It was better to hide behind a curtain of respectful kindness than for them to know her as the selfish and unkind whore that she was.

Tolio, she filed away for use later, finding the name pleasant on the stag's tongue, his accent equally as alluring to the easily amused mare. Her smile grew broad and lively as he made mention of herself, that same voice that had chortled so wholly at her lies now purring in contentment. "That I am, Tolio," she smirked, tilting her crown ever so slightly to the left, "it is good to make your acquaintance. I have seen you around the mountain but have little time to spare these days, it would seem." Her sigh was delicate as it fell from her lips, a faint twitch arising in the brilliant glow of her eyes that revealed her slight resentments at having so much responsibility where she had once had naught. Her poor cave... it had been nearly a season since she had time to clear out the collection of dust, leaves, and pine needles that managed to skirt in under it's emerald covering. A glance was given it's location at the rear of the land, towards the most jagged and towering of the mountains that framed their sanctuary, torn only briefly from the white washed face of the chestnut unicorn before falling once more into the easy cadence of conversation. He didn't need to know that much of her life, after all. "Are you always about so early? Most hide away until the sun melts the chill of the eve," she mused aloud, "though I myself rather enjoy the stillness of the morning; rarely is our Basin so silent as it is now."

There was a river once,
with many round stones
of embracing the ocean;
how its life is a line

Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit
I'M THE BLOOD FROM THE KNIFE I CUT YOUR HEART OUT WITH
</style>

Aureate dame pulls closer, a smile both serene and sly upon her face, and he looks down at her slighter frame with acceptance, and perhaps a tinge of amusement. His body warmth is for her to take, the cold has never been something to bother him too extremely. Clicking heels against the heated stones he moves towards her in tandem, allowing her to decide how close they'll end up. Steam curls from her frame, illuminating her muscles and thickening her locks, which drape upon the warm rocks in their length. It's a far cry from his short, gravity-defying mane, bristled and jagged as if even his hair is dangerous. Somehow he thinks her smiles are not so common, and so he sends her a devilish grin in response, as if he has any other form of a smile. But his eyes are kind and intrigued by her demeanor, flinty and intelligent as they swoop over her bodice shamelessly. He hasn't enjoyed the company of another, much less a maiden, in quite some time. Despite his lack of care and tolerance for company, especially the irritating half-bloods of the lower valley, it wasn't always such a pain when he found a decent conversation partner. At least Illynx looked promising.

"Indeed," comes out as a purr, and his lips quirk in response. Laughter pours from her maw like a fountain, bright and breathless, and if he arches his neck curiously towards her, he does not care. She is quick to rectify his apology, and he chuckles in response, an echo to her feminine, lilting display of amusement. Oh I know, and if I was just trying to make an impression? There's a wicked, teasing curl to his lips, but it's all just harmless flirting. Many would gasp and clutch their bosoms to see him flirting with such a dangerous and important lass, but what's life without a little danger and garter-snapping?

Though he must admit, though she is loving when she speaks, there is something...familiar here. Psyche, his mind supplies, and his chuckle darkens in a sinister fashion. Beloved? I would happily do much worse things to many of them. Love 'em if you wish, but my loyalty is to m' leaders, and the rest of 'em can rot. Shrugging scarred shoulders it's obvious he doesn't care, and if Illynx takes it the wrong way, well...that was her decision. Ever since he had set foot in Helovia his alliance had been with Psyche and Mauja, then Psyche and Illynx. Nobody else meant a thing to him unless they had somehow impossibly managed to garner his elusive affection. The rest of his kin were not only troublesome and infuriating in their often-times idiotic cackling and blabbering, he would never trust them at his back unless they'd bled for him. Few had done so, and the same amount were the ones he actually gave a damn about.

Ah, so she was the Illynx that Frost had spoken of. He is ripped from his thoughts as she tries his name on her tongue, and he flashes her a cheerful wink and a grin. Sounds pretty on your lips, m'lady. But fear not, my acquaintance is hardly desirable to most, your time is better spent chasing after errant soldiers and planning wicked deeds, he laughed. The warm rocks and steamy air kept the chill away, and if he concentrated he could almost feel the heat seeping from her body to his, reaching out as if testing him without his knowledge. She was a beacon of golden light and warm mocha, eyes alight with noonday fire that glinted like a predatory cat's in the curling tendrils of steam around them. Tolio had no doubt he'd chosen right by deciding to accompany her that early morning.

Though it seemed she was curious as to just what he was doing about, at that exact time. Humming softly in his throat he moved from where he'd been observing her like a hawk in sparrow's colors, and gazed out across the fuzzy, steam-softened tundra. Usually, yeah. I don't like bein' idle, is all. Quieter at night, more peaceful. Call me paranoid but I don't like how few patrols there are at night, so I use 'em to keep me busy. Shrugging once more he turns his pale face to her, lopsided smile ghosting across his face as if unsure it really belonged there. Turning back rather quickly, though not in motion more in time span between the two, he stretches his aching shoulders, sore from long hours of pacing the borders and watching the skies. And you, miss Gilded? Fancy coming here every morn in hopes of spying my face? He contorts his visage as he says it, making himself look as dreadful as possible, hoping to get another pretty laugh from her throat.

Image Credits

”Oh, I know, and if I was just trying to make an impression?” he teases, and she barely refrains from rolling her eyes in response and her mouth becomes a surly line of disagreement – that impression was a failure. But she wouldn’t cut his soul so deeply, not so soon into their conversation. There was something about the red and white stallion that had her intrigued, even if he had immediately dropped the ball – she could get it rolling again, which was to be sure.

There were few men who could resist her charm, if she wanted it to end in such a way, and that quirky grin of his keeps her sharp tongue concealed behind dark velvet lips. His chuckle wipes the unpleasant expression from her face, bringing her own soft smile back to light as the man names her feelings most precisely as his own. Her own giggle is delicate and pristine on the mountain air, pushing ripples of steam around her face as it bobs in her mirth.

She wasn’t sure how well she believed him, that he was loyal to his leaders. He hadn’t been there to help her defend the Lady Psyche at the meeting, but perhaps his absence had been his silent disapproval of the General turned leader. "But what is a Lady without her devoted subjects?" crooned the golden wench, her head tilting ever so slightly as she made her pointless inquiry, "I myself would be quite upset if they were all to drop dead tomorrow. Though, I will admit…" a long pause fills the air as she steps slightly closer to Tolio, her grin wry and playful on her lips as she whispers the ass end of her statement (one never knows who might be eavesdropping, and while she didn’t know him well, he seemed the sort to keep things to himself), "some I would not miss at all."

Deimos, for one. Her mood sours instantaneously at the thought of his still breathing existence on the mountain, deepened as she recalls the hybrid filly known as Destry and the other less than pleasing members who had wormed their way into the vale. Reparations could be made later, however; she was, after all, new to her position – it wouldn’t bode well to her myriad subjects if she were to go seemingly mad with power, tossing person after person down the mountain.

The ultimate test of whether or not the pegasi were the only ones who could truly fly.

The man’s roguish personality draws her back out of the darkness of her ponderings, golden eyes crinkling happily at the notice of his playful wink and even more capriciously placed statements. Her heart is fluttering away like the happiest butterfly in the largest field of flowers to be found in the entire world, not a single storm cloud on the horizon or a draft to upset her delicate procession, and she finds herself slipping into his company quite comfortably despite the wrongness of how it began.

"Aren’t we all truly wicked though, dearest Tolio?" playfully jests the mare, though behind her ruse is a heavily enameled piece of truth. Here on the mountain, especially.

Her grin slips away as he makes note of the slender evening patrols, her mind making a quiet note to make mention of it to the soldiers after all was said and done with the tournament for the open ranks (the bile threatens to swim back up her throat at the thought of Lord Deimos); but it was not what she asked, and so she listens intently to his reply, her features bursting into a humorous grin and peal of laughter as he mutilates his once charming features into a grimace befitting the most horrifying of all the hornless.

"Only if you promise to meet me with such charm on each morning," giggled the golden minx, her eyes still crinkled with her good humor and burning quite intensely from between her long, dark lashes. "I suppose I chose the early morning to wander for the same reason," she mused aloud, hoping to keep the conversation alive for as long as she might before the others came nosing around, ruining their currently cozy and quite private arrangement, "though more often than not, I simply leave the comforts of this valley to view the world outside of the eternal snows. Helovia never stops filling my heart with her beauty. All my life, I have lived here." She pauses to let her eyes run across the horizon, admiring the home which the Lord Time had provided them, remembering her brief adventures outside of the lands of Loorien; she did not lie. Helovia was by far the most beautiful province she had ever encountered, so full of magic and life that the scant natural wonders to behold outside of her proud borders seemed punitive in comparison. "I have left, of course, but I came home. No where in the world does the magic run so deep as it does here."

There was a river once,
with many round stones
of embracing the ocean;
how its life is a line