the Rift

[OPEN] Two stars shine brighter (Vanity, Any)

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
AFRICA
Diviner for Dragon's Throat

As Solace turned to leave them, so did Africa turn her focus upon Vanity. “I’m afraid it’s the long road home at the moment.” She joked chuckling, brushing aside the fragility of her disability as though it were really no big deal. The lonely wing strewn idly; uselessly, across the curve of her short dappled back ruffled as she spoke of it, the glossy mottled feathers shining as the streams of sunlight stroked across them. Kindly eyes roved between the bright, sea foam-green gaze of her new friend apologetically before motioning in a southerly direction, that which would guide them home. “Shall we leave?” She suggested cheerily as her elegant frame turned also.

Indeed the trek through Helovia would be tedious for one so used to flying- as Africa presumed Vanity was. Both of the grey Oracle’s wings had been broken before the left had been ripped from its socket, and the impact of her forced, undeserved grounding had sunk her into a grave, hopeless depression- although in truth it had been the culmination of events surrounding that had driven her to despair. She hoped quietly that the walk would not weary the palomino’s spirit excessively; that her decision to follow would not be hampered. Never the less, she set off as guide and struck up conversation to act as a healthy distraction- telling Vanity about all that they passed- each vast region, and explained to her in extravagant detail (naturally) all she knew about each.

As expected, the journey took them the remainder of the day.

As evening began to sink darkness across the countryside, Africa’s hard, sturdy hooves sank for the first time that day into the comfortable substrate of her home. The rust-red sand was still warm, even cast beneath the blackening shadow of the half-made wall which grew far into the sky above. Always the return home felt wonderful, and she turned, legs still in motion to grin at Vanity- hoping eagerly that the feeling steamed through her also. “Welcome home.” There was still a small distance to cover, though she was not overly concerned given the security which now covered them. Always there was a niggling pressure when she was away; Africa was vulnerable both because of her lost wing, but also due to the gentleness of her nature- she was an easy target for the monsters in the north.

“Look ahead, you can just see the oasis.” Africa was peering through squinting eyes right ahead of them. There laying across the rippling desert horizon shroud in the shadow of the impending evening, the jagged impression of tropical palms and thriving life. “It is the life-blood here- the great lake which we call the Throat. Our borderline reaches all around the main desert, though the only land is to the north from where we came. The ocean is our neighbour on each other side.” She continued on and began to hum a soft tune; the words to which she wasn’t ready to share. It was a ballad in the making, to celebrate the wealth and prosperity of Dragon’s Throat.

Vanity Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: vanity_by_lainey_lou-d6voni2.jpg]

I had never belonged before and now i was part of a strong herd of pegasi that could protect me, a smile appears just at the thought. I was sad to see Solace depart but with Africa still at my side I have never been more excited to travel somewhere new. When the elegant gray mare begins walking I am slightly confused for a moment when suddenly I remember, she can't fly. Really after a moments talk I don't think walking with bug me because then I can see everything up close instead of from above and I will be able to talk with my new friend longer. One of my ears swivels in all different directions but one stays on Africa, my new mentor. How lovely it is to think about having someone to teach me things about life, someone who has obviously been through a lot, like me Africa has dealt with pain from her past as her physical condition explains but she is kinder than anyone I have ever met.
A long the way to the Dragon's Throat Africa points out everything as we travel farther south and the climate gets warmer, I listen intently, absorbing as much information as I can. My legs have begun to ache a bit and my wings itch to be stretched but I continue to listen and take in everything the one winged Pegasus has to say, everything here is so interesting. The vegetation, the terrain, and even the little animals that run about all over the place cause me too giggle with utter glee, I have never been this happy. The pit of fear and anxiety has not bothered me since we left the Threshold and for once I relax and live a little bit.
When the sun had begun to lower itself from the sky we reached the desert, the sand was red and the scent of salt was in the air meaning the ocean was nearby. Boy was it hot here, even with the sun down the earth baked and a dribble of sweat swam down my delicate face. When Africa turns her head towards me, I lift my eyes and my ears stiffen in her direction as she explains we are home, while she continues trekking forward. My stomach flutters slightly at the thought and my turquoise eyes travel the horizon, an oasis is there, palms grow from the sandy earth and a glistening lake lies in the center of it all. How beautiful it was. Suddenly my stomach lets out a low growl reminding me I'm hungry and my throat burns from dehydration, but we are almost there, almost home.
Unaware of how rude I am being when I let out a glee filled whinny and kick up the red sand behind me as a break into a gallop. I let all my weight onto my haunches and explode from the sand, kicking up my heels like a playful foal, I am so happy. Happy to have a new friend, a new life, a new home. Suddenly I remember my mentor who is now behind me and turn with an embarrassed look upon my face. My wings are stretched out as far as they can go, my forelock is now sitting behind my ears showing Africa my gorgeous eyes and there right in the center is a twinkle. A twinkle of pure joy and thankfulness, thankful for her and everything she has done for me, for showing me this wonderful world and bringing me here to my new home. I fold my powerful wings cleanly across my flank and trot towards her and stop only a foot or two away from her before I open my mouth to say with a grin across my lips.
"Lets play."

"blah blah blah."

put a neato quote or lyric here

Deceased
AFRICA

It had been so long since altitude had washed away from her the cares strewn across the surface of the earth; she could not remember the rush of brittle air through wind-stroked feathers, nor the ecstasy pumped through throbbing veins with each powerful wing thrust. So many memories had been shoved into the far back recesses of her mind, and with them were swept much of those grandest. She never considered the new level of her own fitness, and how it had been so different when the draughts were the highways through life- she failed unfortunately to realise that her companion might suffer upon legs which were not born to hike such huge distances; across often rough and treacherous ground like Helovia was built upon. She remained oblivious as Vanity’s face offered little to betray her fatigue, instead exuding the delight of freedom and excitement. About this glee, the one-winged Oracle was overwhelmingly pleased.

The young mare’s mouth was parched, her coat tingling hot, even as they strode with their target in site. There was little which could be done though to ease the building tiredness, the biting pang of hunger and raspy thirst until they fell upon the vast stretch of lake; and Africa clung tightly to the thought of that- it compelled her forward, like a rainforest sapling striving ever upwards for long lost sunlight. Vanity’s stomach grumbled unhappily as the thought of dinner flooded her mind, and she turned with a smirk and a light-hearted chortle. “There is plenty to fill that hole.” She offered offhandedly, easily.
“I’m famished too…” The day had flown by so quickly, and she thought of that only meal she had indulged herself with, at the milky crack of dawn by the lower rim of the Threshold. The grass, foliage and browse in their luscious sanctuary were unlike anywhere else in Helovia- it was sweeter, richer and far more wholesome. It never ceased to amaze the lore-loving creature, how such abundant life could flourish in the harshest of environments.

All of a sudden the jovial palomino by her side lost control of her sheer happiness and leapt forward through a bright cry, churning hooves slicing through waves of soft, supple sand. It was absolutely something Africa might have done a year or so back, and she smiled thoughtfully without delving into the ruins of her past. She was not so playful like once she had been; forced to mature and learn the art of masked emotion- perhaps such restraint; that willpower suited the role she filled in the herd these days better than the foolish child who had toyed with flower prisoners and magic mushrooms.
A light smile slipped across her stormy-grey, whiskered maw and the grey pushed forward into a brisk, undulating canter; skilfully ploughing through the rolling dunes. She enjoyed quite undeniably the playful antics of her friend, it was a far cry from the frail wreck of a mare she had first stumbled across, earlier that day.

Smile and the whole world will smile with you...

It was a fact, and the unbridled mirth of Vanity was as contagious as winter flu. Africa watched contentedly as the other bucked and cavorted like she was a mere filly again, rocking to rest across her lean, weary right side. Such elation had not warmed the grey through for a long time and quietly she watched the display. Only when the flaxen haired girl trotted back, throwing forward the offer to play did Africa loosen her poise- and still it was perhaps not as dramatically as Vanity might have wished. She just simply did not have that brazen bliss to draw from any longer. Regardless she tried, and launched into a ploughing gallop that could have been easily matched by the other similarly sized mare- she did not wait, though and threw a loose, teasing buck out behind as she pulled away ahead. Undoubtedly they would fall like weather-beaten children through the first fronds of the oasis- without style and without grace. A least their hearts would be pounding for the peace they had discovered today.

Trembling legs staggered into the lush vegetation, but they were not allowed to rest, Africa forced them on until red-stained hooves plunged her exhausted, heat-stressed weight headlong into the crystal, cool water of the Throat. At last she stopped, sinking her body below the tranquil surface so that she could soak and wash the burden of the day from her lax, failing muscles. Tender eyes reached out across the embankment to make sure Vanity was close behind. “The perfect end to a long day.” She sighed with a relieved smile drawing tightly up the corners of her wrinkled mouth. Then, as the first stars began to twinkle far above, she dipped her lips to the water and began to drink.

Vanity Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: vanity_by_lainey_lou-d6voni2.jpg]

My heart flutters inside my chest when my gray coated friend explodes from the red earth and canters away from me towards the lush oasis in the distance. I watch her with a grin across my gleeful features, she kicks up her heels carelessly. Putting all my weight upon my hind legs I rear mightily my front legs attacking the air, then rip from the sand sending a plume of red dust into the air behind me. I stay a ways behind Africa until she crashes through the vegetation of the oasis before I stretch my wings out and it's as if they hum with power, I long for the sky and then my body takes over. With a twisting leap into the air and a powerful flap of the feathered muscles I am in the air, I watch Africa below and I wish dearly she could be up here with me. I wonder for a fleeting moment how long it's been since she felt the air weave through her feathers or how long it's been since she could stretch out her wings and leap from the earth in one graceful motion to join me in the heavens above.
When she plunges into the sparkling blue water below I fly directly over the lake only about ten feet above the refreshing water, then I stop flapping my wings and let myself drop rear end first, I let out a gleeful screech as I fall into the water. Waves of water have erupted around me as my weight was dropped into the water, the water stirs unhappily but I have never had so much fun in my young life. Using my wings along with my legs I paddle the water towards my new mentor a bit ashamed for flying when she can't leave the ground, when I reach the shallower water I shake my body of the droplets that fall from my golden coat. My long mane is soaking and hangs down from my head like a shaggy canine, I feel much better after the long trek here, especially since I have stretched my wings, they had ached all day and finally they were content but unfortunately my feathers were damp and I couldn't fly at the moment.
"Do you not wish you had your wings back?" I ask genuinely, not to be rude just me being curious. I lower my delicate face to the water and suck in the refreshing water with large gulps, now that I have drank my stomach growls again begging to be fed.
" So this is my new home? How lovely I think I will like it here but I can't wait to meet everyone! Also what is my duty here? Will I be with you for most of the day because that would be lovely!" I ask my new friend this excitedly, I truly am excited to have a new home and a new friend.

"blah blah blah."

put a neato quote or lyric here

Deceased
AFRICA

Neither sadness nor resentment emerged in the gentle, sweet-natured heart of the dappled one-winged mare as her friend leapt between exaggerated dove wings into the dry desert air. Africa had no trouble celebrating the freedom and joy which the gift of able wings bestowed, and watched with a romantic gaze from her icy bath as Vanity swept across the calm lake over her head. She had never allowed herself the intemperance of wallowing in pity; of mourning and disappointment, when realistically, there were benefits granted with the cost of her flight. Before her grounding, Africa had always loved lore and the natural world with the whole of her heart, but never had she truly appreciated its existence; the intricate beauty of the world around her up close and personal. Only when she had been forced to journey afoot did she realise that the finer detail was so easily unnoticed by her winged kind. It offered her a new perspective, appreciation and understanding of life- not only her insignificant subsistence through it. That brought hopeful distraction to an otherwise devastating situation.

To Africa, living without her birthright did not seem so terrible.

Above her, though not directly, Vanity had closed her wings suddenly; mischievously, and her weight plunged instantly hind first into the still blue reflection of the lake. Even though her backwards attempt at a dive was not overly near to the wading grey mare, a wave of glimmering, wet crystal sliced through the air, washing just like frothing ocean waves about her semi-submerged frame. So too did sparkling droplets spray about her face, beading across the fine pale grey hairs which dressed her cheerful expression. When the sodden palomino paddled across, Africa leaned across to bump her saturated lips against her friend’s cheek. The other asked casually, if she missed her wing; if the young Oracle ever wished it was still clenched across the rise and fall of her ribbed barrel. The curiosity of her new-herd sister was not distasteful by any means and Africa shrugged indifferently before answering. “I only miss flying when it’s time to come home.” She laughed freely, lifting her chin into the half-light of the evening. “I have my life...” She added in time, well after the sound of her mirth had fizzled away. It was a comment that had two meanings really; one for the sake of her endearing companion- because there could easily be worse to lose than feathers. The other was more intimate, the flicker of a hidden memory; of the frailty of life, and how easily it could be drawn from a body forever.

The conversation turned, and Africa followed it attentively and thoughtfully. As Vanity glanced around, exclaiming her contentment and delight at finding herself home, her shrewd pale glaze wandered also, soaking in the splendour of all that surrounded. “Your duty?” She teased, scoffing and jerking her head away. Quickly she followed with a warm smile- the grey had been much the same in the first moments of her arrival here and Midas had allowed her a night to settle despite her yearning to work. Africa really had been all the better for that night alone. “Well, whatever path you choose can wait until you’ve settled and are comfortable. There are five classes in Dragon’s Throat, (or four...?) the healers, warriors, crafters, spies and those who study the lore and magic of this world, like myself. Yes five. She paused and nodded to herself approvingly. You’re welcome to speak with any of those who are the head of their class while you strive to find that which suits you most. They are all fascinating roles, and as important as each other. I thought I would study to become one of the herd’s Shamans, but the Sun Lord is much wiser than my foolish mortal desires.” She smiled warmly, hoping that the influx of information was not too much to comprehend.

“If it is lore, music and understanding that appeals most, you will certainly spend much time with me. But you cannot rush the process- it takes much time to truly appreciate the different responsibilities holding this kingdom together.” Again she paused, but this time it was her own stomach which grumbled sourly through the water which was lapping gently again by her flanks. “Let’s walk, there are late palm fruits still to be eaten not far from here.” Africa thrust her waterlogged mass from the waterline, scrambled through the yielding sand up the embankment and onto the more packed soil above. There she turned to wait for Vanity who perhaps would not hold so quickly the mastery of such difficult travel through sand. Afterwards she continued speaking softly as the oasis around them began to settle for the night- she wondered offhandedly where Silas was, but was not gravely concerned. The zephyr was more than able to find his way home.

“If you like, I will take you to speak with other herd members tomorrow. That should be fairly easy going I think. When you figure out what it is that you would like to do in the Throat, you will probably be sent to complete different quests to build your abilities.” So much had been said, and Africa fell silent so that Vanity could process all that had been given- it seemed to the perceptive grey that her friend was interested in all that the Oracle served as, though while she was keen to begin lessons of her own, she wanted to make sure the choice was educated and personal.