the Rift

[OPEN] Traveler Returns

Ruka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Summer's heat, a persistent thing even this far north, had finally faded. The seasons shifted with a terrific bang, sunshine and clear skies giving way to cold and snow, seemingly overnight. And with autumn's chilly foreboding of what was yet to come, came a new resolution within the heart of the wanderer who'd been caught out in the first snows.

It was time to go back. Back home? Perhaps he wouldn't call it that, not yet. Perhaps not ever. Nor did where he belonged quite fit. Nevertheless, it was the place he thought of when he stood there with his back to the falling snow and swirling wind, shivering lightly against the renewed cold beneath a coat that was just beginning to grow out. The Basin, with its sprawling lake and hot springs. Where his few acquaintances dwelled. Where Illynx, his token friend with the fearsome temper, lived. He'd had the summer to evade bumping into her, let her irritation with him over his absence from the invasion forces fade. It was time to go back.

So he'd left the steppe, travelling for higher ground further south. For the mountains that were so familiar now, sheltering their secret refuge from the very worst of the weather. And it was why he stood here now, atop the highest point of the narrow path down into the Basin, gazing down at the still waters of the lake. Watching the reflected clouds wander across its surface. A small smile worked its way onto the lean stallion's face as he stood there, a tiny silhouette against the narrow slice of sky between the mountains that guarded the path.

Then he set forth, picking his way down the path with steps that were both careful and sure. He'd gone this way before, enough times that he knew the way. But he didn't doubt the capability of the mountain to throw a few unexpected things in the way. Green eyes alternated between keeping an eye out for loose stones and seeking ahead for signs of life, while he wondered just who he would stumble into first. Would it be a face he'd recognize, or someone newly recruited to the 'cause'?

Unregistered
It was with some surprise that the lanky stud descended the path into the Basin unchallenged. Emerald eyes cast about wonderingly. No soliders? No curious citizens? Was everyone asleep, or was it that obvious that he was a member of the herd? He wouldn't have thought as much, since he could barely put name to face of a handful of horses here.

Strange, he mused, striding deeper into Basin territory. Patrols must be slacking if no one approaches an unknown horse, unicorn or otherwise, walking into the Basin. "For all they know, I could be a SPY." He called this out in an overly loud tone, exasperated irritation ringing clear in his voice. To give any potential listeners a chance to show up, he stopped again. But already Ruka was deciding to report this lack to Illynx, and let the soldiers make all their excuses to her as to why a patrol wasn't about to stop a barely known unicorn who hadn't been even in the herd land the last season from simply waltzing into the herd.

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx
déodat,

A foreign scent was carried on the wind, an intruder. Without even a second thought, the Blood Prince moved from his cave at a gallop. Who dared to simply enter in at their leisure? Was It a filthy hornless? Or a monstrous skyrat? If it were either they would be meeting they would very soon learn what happened to the outsiders who intruded upon the sacred ground of the crowned. Their skulls would be bashed onto the icy ground, and their blood would stain the pure white snow, they would witness the hot temper of the Blood Prince, and they soon would witness why he had earned such a title.

A voice broke through the silence. Was that exasperation? Did this fool intrude and have the gall to mock the Basin? This only spurned Déodat’s temper even more. Unlike many, he wouldn’t let his rage blind him into foolish action, his thoughts were as clear a sunny morning. When the intruder came into view the pathetic sight just made his stomach churn. A mere wisp of a stallion came and taunted. Did he even value his life? Of course, it wouldn’t be right to underestimate the intruder. At least it was one of the ones blessed with a horn, instead of one of the filth that lay outside of their doorstep.

“Who the hell are you?,” Déodat snarled, “I will give you thirty seconds to explain before I grind your bones into dust, you disrespectful little tick. And if you’re one of us, then I would expect better behavior and respect towards the members of you own herd. Instead you waltz in her mocking and making joke of this place. I hope for your sake your under the protection of the Basin, because I don't take kindly to scrawny idiots with big mouths.” The massive frame of the Blood Prince blocked the weakling’s path. Should this imbecile want to continue deeper into the heart of the cold kingdom, he would have to get through the already furious soldier. Why hadn’t the patrols stopped this little flea? Maybe the soldiers of the Basin were complacent, despite the evil that lurked outside their door. This stranger very well could be something wicked the darkness sent, or an outcast seeing what boundaries they could push. No matter how angry he was at the stranger, he felt more fury toward the lack of interception by other soldiers. This would most definitely be brought to one of the rulers, such laziness couldn’t be tolerated.

Even if this stallion was one of their own, he wasn’t going to take any chances. This wasn’t a time that they could risk permitting anyone to enter without being interrogated and intimidated. Hopefully this stallion had the sense to comply with his demands. It was so tempting to disregard his warnings and engage the runt into a fight and make him prove his worth, because a little shit like him wouldn't ever earn the Blood Prince's respect, especially after such a display.

"Speech speech speech"

image credits
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Unregistered
Satisfaction thrummed through the lanky stud when his mocking call is answered by the thunder of hooves, shortly followed by the appearance of one who clearly claimed citizenship of the herdland. Emerald eyes studied the bay stranger who rolled in like an angry cloud, overflowing with harsh words. It was politeness that kept the liver chestnut still and listening to the threats that rolled off an impertinent tongue.

A brow arched and an ear tilted when the taller, more muscular stallion finally ran silent. "Well its about time that someone bothered to get off their ass and confront me." If a horse could be said to stand with hands on hips, that horse would be Ruka, right then. "As a matter of fact I do belong to the Basin, but I'm not entirely sure why I should respect soldiers too dull to stop someone they don't know from getting this far into the territory. And since I spent the summer on the steppe, I most definitely qualify as a stranger to any soldier here, on scent alone. Granted I haven't made myself known, so I expect to be stopped. And for me to get all the way down the mountain and almost to the lake before you come barging up here? Shameful of a group who name themselves soldiers of a herd." His light tenor was simply matter-of-fact, lacking any of the mockery he'd spoken with before. But he couldn't hide the exasperation.

"And if it makes you any happier, my name is Ruka, and have been part of the Basin for several seasons, though I haven't been inclined to take too active a part while I was still considering whether or not I wanted to stay. Now I wonder if I should stay just to help whip your cohorts into shape, I'm sure your training could use the input of someone who was a soldier in an actual army." His tail swept against his hocks as his voice became tinged with quiet amusement. Ruka well knew how skeptical this boulder of a stallion would be at the proclamation of warrior-hood in little old Ruka. It was a point he was well prepared to prove, if necessary. A point that had become a bit of a rough spot in his budding friendship with Illynx, considering past events.

((Haha I loved writing this.))