the Rift

[JUDGED] feathers line my pillowcase; [Illynx v. Parelia]

Illynx the GildedBlade Posts: 413
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 13 HP: 67.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kyst :: Common Griffon :: Zapping Jab Bunnie
illynx,
A storm was coming, and it’s thunderous display was mirrored in the savage smile that marked her lips. A storm meant flight was out of the list of options normally available to the winged beings of the land when it came to avoiding her kin, the wind and lightning too much of a risk to airborne fools for them to remain out of the large clearing she now waited in.

The flowers were withering under autumn’s touch, but the ice queen was happily at home in the slanted drizzle, the fine misting of water pushed askew by the devilish wind that ripped with yawning screams through the tall grasses that had yet to be devoured in the cooler seasons. Plastered down her neck and shoulders, her mane is a black ink stain on her shadowy figure, occasionally lit up by the flashes of blue light that spewed from the overhead clouds.

She’d picked the location at the center of the Y-shaped bend of the river that emptied into the south, her rump currently aligned within the V point of the imaginary letter, letting the water rush across her while watching for her newest target with narrowed eyes. She saw a dove come to the surface of the earth in the distance, water shimmering around her winged bodice as the rain hit her pale flesh, and a wolfish call is shouted to the clouds above as Illynx charges forward to face the challenge.

Whether the poor woman knew she was coming or not – it didn’t really matter, now did it?

The assault was generic and painfully simple, the unicorn saddened by her lack of cleverness in opening this particular scuffle but finding no particularly wonderful side options available to her. Her still sore ribs (from a battle with Deimos that had been meant to be peaceable) groan as she bolts across the damp grass, even more adamant as she angles herself to hopefully slam her chest or right shoulder into the body of the winged mare. She has little time to size her up, but the footing is wet and Illynx has trained long and hard to build her muscles for such impacts - even if the feathered nuisance doesn't hit the ground right away, she'll surely realize that something has certainly met with her body.

She could get more creative later. For now, at least, she held the element of surprise, and she sure hoped that her choice this afternoon would scream with fear before she finished her senseless and hateful barrage.

She lets her frustrations with her life vent themselves on the unsuspecting arrival to the water-logged meadow, and her smile tells all one needs to know of the satisfaction that fills her with every golden hoof-fall.

[ 1/3 : 468 words;
Traditional “Training” Spar
Setting: Thistle Meadow, mid-afternoon, light rain, lightning, and heavy winds. Illynx is standing in the delta of the river that flows through the center of the Meadow, facing out into the open.
Went ahead and got the movement rolling for expedience! :3 Illynx charges forward (hind-end to the bend of the water behind her) to attempt to slam into Parelia as she comes into the meadow. ]

@[Parelia]
intending to burn - pretending to fight it
everyone learns faster on fire

image credits
Table By Neo
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Parelia Posts: 210
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 :: 7:: Frostfall HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Penna :: Peregrine Falcon :: None Parelia

Parelia
I've gotta fight today, To live another day, Speakin' my mind today

Parelia moved slowly through the slowly dying thistle plants around her as the rain started to fall in thick heavy sheets. Keeping her useless wings tucked close to her sides she lowered her head keeping her ears laid back against her delicately chiseled skull. Her eyes were cast in front of her but she was squinting making it harder to see, and the black thunder clouds and pounding rain weren’t helping her sight. Grumbling to herself about the nasty weather she had no idea what was about to smack her.

Out of seemingly nowhere a figure burst from the cloaking rain. Parelia’s bright azure eyes just had a glance of the gold horned bay mare before all the breath seemed to be sucked from her lungs. Her white hooves slide in the thick slippery mud as the attacking mare’s weight in her rib cage, threw her sideways. Rage and pain were tinged with panic as her usually sure footing was taken from her by the surprise attack. She could feel her breathless body slowly falling towards the ground as if in slow motion. As her helpless body plummeted towards the ground her mind began to race. The force of her stop seemed to kick her lungs back into function drawing a deep painful gasp from deep within her body. What was happening to her? She didn’t even know this mare yet she attacked as if she hated Parelia with every fiber of her being.

As she was catching her breath she shambled to her feet shaking slightly her breaths still ragged she her flashing angry eyes took in her attacker. A sudden jagged bolt of blue lighting clawed at air showing her the mare before her. Rain soaked her black mane plastering it to her neck and making her muscles stand out under her brown and black pointed body. Instead of talking she used her newly found breath to charge the mare in return. In pain in her newly bruised ribs slowed her down. As she came closer to the horned mare, Parelia turned letting the slick mud work to her advantage. Between her Mustang footing, Arabian grace, and the slippery ground she spun perfectly and brought her rear legs up attempting to kick her attacker in the chest or hopefully face.

-----------------------------------
Speech Thoughts
Words: 382
Summary: 1/3 Parelia gets slammed and smacks onto the ground, as a result she is winded and stumbling.
OOC:; Feel free to tell me what I can do better and to kick her little girly butt! I’m going to roll with the surprise thing so you can really whoop up on her lol. Feel free to use Illynyx’s horn on not so vital places, like against her chest maybe a hole in her ear or something lol.

[Image: 54a664c1065ed][Image: 542f83afbdf08]
Please tag Parelia! Attack at anytime

illynx,
She fell, and the horned bitch buggles in enthusiasm for her moment of glory, raising her golden appendage to the heavens and swinging her golden forelimbs through the air savagely. Her slick and long line of a tail is curled around her hind legs in her triumph, however, and as she charges forward to close in on the felled winged mare, one of her most prized possessions betray her; she trips and nearly goes down herself, her right knee smeared in murky brown mud from where her body has pressed its point into the earth. Pain shoots up the limb and back down it, leaving her knee nearly numb with hot, tingling pain, but she is not so easily diverted from obvious prey - like the cougar she is, the mare is back on four hooves in a matter of seconds, the wince that befalls her face as full weight is placed down on the knee and forced to run obscurred by the sinister fringes of her forelock that has, seemingly, become glued to her features.

The Gilded Blade is pissed when the woman gets back up with little more than a heavily bruised and rather grimy side, her amused smile washed away and replaced with her battle frown as the world is lit up with blue once again. She has closed the gap in the time it has taken the stunned pegasi to rise from the earth, and while Parelia's charge is fierce, to be sure (insert insane mental giggle here), it sends her far beyond the reach of the Lady's chocolate chest. Her hind hooves connect with Illynx's left hip, in the fleshy bit, the sinew rippling and bulging around the impact and sending a nearly pleasurable ache throughout the entire muscle set; the mare's grimace of war becomes a snarl as she slashes to the left with her namesake in hopes of blood, it's golden edge poised to rip and sever.

She back pedals, this time sure to avoid the snares of her tail that curls like a treacherous snake around her dancing hooves, angling her ass back around to the right in a counter clockwise motion, her horn still striking at any open flesh it could manage to reach - she'd begun her assault on the mare's left hip, but has sent seven hard strikes out with every bend of her graceful neck all while arranging herself to angle it's point down towards the left wing joint. The potential blow to the beloved mutation of this woman's species sent thrills of power throbbing through the mare's muscles, adding more vehemence to the gritting of her teeth than just the pain that her ribs and knee were causing her, the dull ache of the bruise on her hip.

There will be no safety in the clouds, this afternoon. She will make sure of it.

[ 2/3; 479 words.
Illynx stumbles on her own tail (lul) and biffs it, hurting her right knee; she also takes a kick to the left hip. She then aims seven horn strikes along Parelia's topline, finishing off with one aimed towards the wing joint on her shoulder.

OOC: I really love how in this Parelia is! We know how she feels, and what she's thinking, and most of the time, this is were new fighters make mistakes; they get so involved in the action, they forget their character - but she's very much in this post and I loooove it.

However, your sense of timing is a bit off - I myself struggle with it immensely so I actually have some good tips for you! First off, we want to try to keep the amount of time for each reply section (you reply to damage, then attack yourself) you want to time it to be about a minute per section, were it to play out in real time. Anything else is awkward for the person you're writing with - as you can see, I've made Illynx stumble to use up some time, as she was charging forwards and would have been able to close the distance between herself and Parelia quite easily had she not decided to be a blood thirsty show off.

There is also very little mention of direction. On traditional spars and challenges, especially, you want to make sure to include where your character is aiming and how they are attacking with directional cues: "She back pedals, this time sure to avoid the snares of her tail that curls like a treacherous snake around her dancing hooves, angling her ass back around to the right in a counter clockwise motion" rather than just saying she pivots around to angle herself to attack Parelia's side gives the other writer a better picture of whats happening and makes it feel more "real."

EDIT: because I broke the table. :( fuuu]

image credits
Table By Neo
Magic/assault allowed to be used on Illynx at any time, in so far as it does not kill or seriously maim her without my permission. 

Parelia

Parelia’s own blood lust was rising as the horned bitch’s exclamation of excitement stroked the air. Her own evil chuckle stroked the air as the gold trimmed attacker tripped on her own tail. Her azure eyes followed her decent making her eyes flash dangerously with mirth. Her lips curled up over her porcelain teeth almost daring her to come after her. The cremello paint was not disappointed. Her own sadistic smile crawled onto her face as her attacker’s smile vanished. As they clashed again Parelia let out a snort of pleasure as he hoof connected with the mare’s fleshy hip. She knew instantly that the kick was only a flesh wound, but it was a start.

As her weight came crashing back on all four of her sturdy hooves she turned her furious gaze back on the gold tipped bitch. Before she could gather her balance pain exploded through her like the lighting ripping through the angry night. Blood spurted from her lower neck, back, hip and then her prized wing all followed by a squeal of anguish. Pain replaced most of her rage as the golden horn jabbed into her left wing joint. Fear was now covering her face like the thick mud on her right side as the attacker continued to jab and twist.

She could feel her hooves slipping in the mud with the force of the jabs ripping at her tender flesh. In a last ditch effort to shake the unicorn’s attacks she gathered her strength tightening her leg and shoulder muscles. The slippery mud was fighting against her as she prepped herself for the jump. Her hooves made a sucking sound as she through her weight up and to the left attempting to through as much of her body into the mare as possible. ‘Maybe I’ll break her fucking horn!’ She thought savagely as her bulk came crashing down to the earth and hopefully the mare. She knew she would not be able to land on her hooves, and hopefully falling on her left side would not be her undoing.

Speech Thoughts
Words: 345
OOC: 2/3 Parelia has been stabbed every time Illynx attempted too. She is bleeding severely from her neck, back, hip, and left wing joint.
OOC:; Sorry if it is really bad I have a terrible headache.

illynx,
That the wing thing laughed at her deepened the resolve with which she assaulted her victim, weight displaced to the three limbs that hadn’t been used to prop her up in a clumsy fall, the mud smeared knee angled up towards her chest as her delicate head bobbed and weaved, her horn flashing dangerously in the grim and damp air. Lightning broke across the sky as the tip of her blade perforates flesh and feathers, a sinister sound of mirth rising from her mouth as it finds the target of the wing joint.

For all the hell that Illynx had brought to the mare today, she was fighting bravely, for which the mare was thankful – it wouldn’t have slowed her assault had the mare wilted and flinched away, to be sure, but it was certainly more fun to have a toy that fought back.

The rain beat down across her back, running rivulets of blood down the length of her horn to blur her vision with its red tinge. The mere sight of the gore makes her heart pound that much faster, given a visceral tempo by the stench of the life fluid blending with that of the sky, and she gazes quite proudly upon the gaping wounds when the light cracks like claws through the inky sky.

She has just now noticed that the mare is laced with blue as well as the pale cream. Perhaps she will take one of the feathers home with her, if she returns home victorious.

A sudden and different pressure along her horn draws a quick retreat from the experienced mare, who immediately throws her weight back and towards the left and away; the pegasus is quite smaller than she is, though, and while Illynx could not clear the weight of the falling mare completely, the impact on her left hip where the mare has slammed against her sends golden limbs sprawling. Biting into the damp grasses for support, they rise and fall rhythmically, a sharp cringe of pain creasing the features of her face each time she is forced to step down on her lamed right leg, each movement drawn from her now quite bruised hip agonizing.

But the thrill of the other mare being on the ground again leaves her little time to hesitate.

She swoops in with a glorious call of self abandonment, the rain spattering into her eyes as she glides in swiftly to the fallen mare’s side. Rising her front half from the earth, she leaps upwards and towards the mare’s right ribs (hoping to crush them, of course) with all the savagery she can manage with both forelimbs, though she is more delicate with the blow of the right knee than the other, bracing herself for the shudder of the impact with either flesh or absent earth. Her hip cringes as she rises, but she does her best to ignore the pain that ebbs and flows through the expanse of her brain.

She won’t kill this creature, of course, even if she is given the chance.

Illynx knows all too well that others get quite defensive of their mutants; and this is not a private enough place to be committing murder. Fortunately for this one, she only wished to stain the air with the stench of blood and fear.

Both of which, she noticed with a grim and satisfied smile, were already present.

[ 3/3; 575 words:
Illynx takes a big hit to her right hip as Parelia tosses her weight at her, then drives in to “leap” onto her exposed ribs with her forelegs.

I also forgot to mention in the first post, for judges, that this is a thread that was requested for Illynx to beat Parelia up. ;) It’s just serving dual purpose to teach her about fighting as well as to boost Illynx’s ego. xDD

OOC: I really adore all the detail you’ve included; there is sucking mud, emotional reactions out the whazoo, and even some humor.

However, there are a lot of grammatical errors in the writing, and I would like to suggest that you take time to make sure that everything is spelled correctly, punctuation is in the right place, and all other mechanics are in place. They judge according to how much detail you’ve included as well as how well the writing itself is accomplished.

I myself use Microsoft Word for my spars/fights and reread at least four times before posting them up, to make sure all my movements are included and that grammatically it makes sense. I tend to write the world’s longest sentences, and so I definitely would be confusing if I didn’t go back and edit them out to be smaller (but still important!) thoughts.

Other than that, you’re doing great! Can’t wait for your next reply! ]

image credits
Table By Neo

Parelia

Pain gripped Parelia in its steely clutches as the mare’s horn speared her and thick blood oozed onto the ground. Her eyes were bright with the fear that was coursing through her body. She felt her body collide with the mare’s hip, vaguely realizing it was one she had kicked. This was not how she wanted to die, but her strength was being sapped between the heavy bleeding, chilly sheets of rain, and instinctual fear of dying.

Her life seemed to flash before her eyes, she could see her parents smiling down at her, and then her dead mother’s wolf ravaged body, then her father leaping from the cliff to his death is wings pinned to his sides. The images were interrupted as her gaze found the mare’s eyes. She would not go down begging for her life, she would not allow this unicorn to murder her while she wept for mercy. She was a fighter, her mother had named her so, and she would show this bitch who she really was.

Her ears flew to her skull and her neck struck out mimicking a rattle snake her ears were pinned flat to her chiseled skull. She was aiming for the mare’s legs trying to tear at the golden flesh there hoping to slow her down, but she knows it is all in vain. The mare’s squeal of excitement send a thrill of fear from Parelia as she advances again after sliding out of her grasp. As she gasps for air send pain shooting through her bruised and bleeding body her strength is nearly diminished, but she doesn’t plan to stop trying to fight.

As the mare rises off the ground lightning flashes and she can see the intent in the mare’s fixed gaze. A plan forms, but it is a feeble one. As the mare strikes Parelia tries to roll, but the mud is sucking her down it’s as if the earth is trying to help her attacker. Hooves slam into her barrel, a hollow sickening “Snap” leaves no doubt the unicorn broke her rib, truth be told three ribs are split clean in two. Pain sears through the winged mare. She fights the blackness that suddenly clouds her vision. She lashes out weakly with all four of her once sturdy legs, but it’s no use, she is too weak. She stills her head falling to the ground close.

She is close to fainting, she can feel the cold caress of blackness, a small part of her wants to embrace it. Her fighting side tells her to stay awake and she does. She lifts her head wearily her eyes still flashing with rage and pain. Her normally sweet voice is horse and gravelly, “Why?” She only has the strength to ask this simple question before her head slumps back to the ground. Her blood pooling with the mud and rain she lays still, defeated.

Speech Thoughts
Words: 485
OOC: 3/3 Parelia is down, bleeding heavily with two broken ribs and is heavily bruised
OOC; Sorry about the terrible grammar in that one I had such a splitting headache it took me two hours just to get that.

illynx,
The golden bitch feels the mare’s white teeth graze the golden length of her right stifle, but she does not care despite the strangely numb pain that tingles along behind the obscure pressure of incisors; her mind cries hopefully that it knocks her damn pearly whites out. She does care, however, when they manage to tap lightly on the already bruised and beginning to swell angle of her knee. A growling yelp of sorts escapes her lips as she completes her forward motion, the wounded leg instinctively tucked nearer her body than the left one, which is angled at a dangerous point and supported by her well muscled shoulders.

It will do the job plenty well enough, she assumes.

The sickening sound of mud clinging to the body of the pegasus as she vainly rolls about in the wet earth is almost pleasing, the wicked damsel’s laughter at the squirming mass beneath her cold and compassionless as it barks out in the deluge. More pleasing than the fact that the mud streaked turkey still struggled to escape was the eventual impact, the delightful noise of bones crushing beneath dirty hooves filling Illynx’s ears with the music that had fueled every vicious act in her life.

Her left hoof has done the breaking, her weight pressed down on that single point; the same location is used for her to push off of, spinning away from the fallen pegasus in a quarter rear towards the right and away from the pale paint’s fallen body that is aided in fluidity by the water and earth that have blended in the turmoil of their hooves.

She prances about the flailing legs, her smile sickening and ever so delighted with what she has done.

Lowering her blood soaked features towards the wing still exposed to the sky, she nimbly reaches out with her lips to pluck a blue feather, one of the long ones that extend on the ends of the grotesque appendages. ”Why? softly asks the fallen skyrat, and she turns her golden eyes coldly to watch the weakling’s head slump back down into the mud.

”To prove that I am strong,” she says savagely to dead ears, grasping her feather of choice and wrenching it free of it’s fleshy holds. Blood, the same red ambrosia that covers her horn and face, leaking down into her eyes, a single crimson droplet, rises from the end of the thing as she turns to return to the mountain.

And with such a smug smile on her pretty little face.

[ Closing Defense; 435 words:
Illynx takes one of Parelia's feathers and leaves.

Injury Synopsis: She has sustained a nearly sprained right front knee, heavy bruising on her right hip, and light bruising on the left one.

OOC: Woot we got that one done quick! Overall I think you are doing really well. You are inventive in your movement choices and your character is there through the whole post. Environment is referenced often and I really enjoyed reading what was going on with Parelia the entire time.

I would focus on timing - which is best learned by studying other high scoring fights. I can look some up for you if you would like! Just PM me and I'll dig you out some good threads. I myself struggle a lot with it and it's one of those things that, if it doesn't come naturally, takes a lot of practice.

Also, consider bringing figure horses or at least an object to symbolize the two horses into your writing experience. It feels a little silly at first, but acting out the action that is happening can really help you portray it better - I noticed at points you were getting lost as to what direction things were happening in and I have found that playing with model horses really helps me in this area. :D

I'm excited to see how Parelia develops from this experience and I hope you had as much fun as I did!]

image credits
Table By Neo

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

I l l y n x | P a r a l i a
- - - - -
By my verdict ILLYNX is the winner.
Illynx receives 2 VP for completely a teaching spar.

ILLYNX -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: Runs into Paralia

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

PARALIA -- post 1

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Gets knocked over by Illynx.
+ 1| Attack: Uses the mud to her advantage, and slides to kick at Illynx.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion:
+ 1| Flow.
0| Easy read: Spelling/Grammar

ILLYNX -- post 2

[Realism]
0| Injury: Paralia is aiming for her chest - I don't see how (and you don't write to explain), how she ended up hitting her hip: Her hind hooves connect with Illynx's left hip.
- 1| Borderline PP: This is too declarative: she'd begun her assault on the mare's left hip.
+ 1| Attack: Horn to Paralia's wing joint.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow:
+ 1| Easy read:

PARALIA -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Illynx's horn attack to her back. Oh no!
+ 1| Injury: Horn to her wing joint.
+ 1| Attack: Lunges into Illynx.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read.

ILLYNX -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Flailing pegasus body!
+ 1| Attack: Knees/forelegs to Paralia's side. Oh my!

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Flow.
+ 1| Easy read:

PARALIA -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: Tries to bite at Illynx's legs.
+ 1| Injury: Broken bones.
+ 1| Attack: Lashes out with her legs.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion: AHH Q___Q She would not go down begging for her life, she would not allow this unicorn to murder her while she wept for mercy. She was a fighter, her mother had named her so, and she would show this bitch who she really was..
+ 1| Flow.
0| Easy read: Spelling/Grammar.

ILLYNX -- post 4 (defense only)
[Realism]
+ 1| Injury: Minor bite.
+ 1| Defense: "prances around her flailing legs" - lol. I can picture it.

ILLYNX

[Bonus]
+ 1| Breed.
+ 1| Terrain.

[Injuries]
+1| : Least injured.

[Creativity]
Nothing of note.

Comments: Great job. I would keep in mind wording - there are times your writing comes across as being fairly declarative. I would have liked to have more information at the beginning - you had decided Paralia would get beaten up, but I would have liked to see more emotion from Illynx, about just randomly attacking someone. Although her lines at the end were superb!

Paralia

[Bonus]
0| Breed.
+ 1| Terrain.

[Injuries]
-1 Broken bones.

[Creativity]
Nothing of note.

Comments: If you have a head ache/aren't feeling well, you can definitely put off posting. You have 3 weeks to complete each post in a spar, so if you aren't feeling up to it, just wait! All of your posts had great fundamentals - there was emotion, background, attacks and defense. You have great building blocks from which to grow. If you take more time, envision the fight more (and maybe run your posts through spell checker first ;) ) I think you'll be well on your way! Great spar!

TOTAL
Illynx - 67
Paralia - 65

Image Credit: dirkjankraan @ Flickr