the Rift

[OPEN] Speak Now [ Activity Check - Compulsory Herd Meeting ]

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
Against the stars a shadow spun in slow, lazy circles. It hung low enough that the words of the herd drifted up to be caught by attentively tilted ears, and really had not had any intention of landing. His presence there, listening to the important shifting and stirrings, was enough for him and the one whose judgement counted. But it didn't stay that way, not when the discussion turned heated, carried on a familiar, masculine tone that rose loud enough to heard clearly yards away. Impossible to miss, impossible to ignore.

At first he spiralled lower, blocking out the stars and the moon, a soft rumble vibrating in his chest. An instinctive reaction, the dragon moving in defense of his mate. But then he listened, and thought. Considered, and found that his thoughts swayed, surprisingly, toward agreement with the Wingleader that spoke so vehement and long-winded against the proclamation by the Dragonheart. Not every fact settled with him, for there was some things he was ignorant upon. And yet...

At last sharp words faded from the Wingleader's tongue, and the silent watcher above decided he could be silent no more. Wings beat, casting a rush of air over the assembled below as he angled wide out over the open space beyond the cliffs. Dipped low, then rose up to claim a foothold with a tremendous thunder of leathery wings defying gravity long enough to grant the giant they carried a gentle landing. He strode forward without bothering to fold his wings, stretching them up above himself instead, great sails of vein-traced skin spread out like twin umbrellas to block out the artificial night's lights.

Golden eyes flashed a gentle warning toward the golden pegasus in the sudden light of a short blast of flame from his maw, a gesture too brief to cause harm, but sharp enough to express the unquiet within the hybrid stud who, for once, demanded the attention of all who gathered at Mirage's call.

"Mirage." He rumbled now, baritone notes quiet in comparison with the Wingleader's shouted words. "All who stand before you, all those who wander on this side of the glass wall, are here because of you, my dear. Young souls, old souls. Souls who have stood as leaders in their own lands. But all stand here, recognizing you as their leader. We chose you, none have risen with thoughts to displace you, and we have trusted you with our safety time and time again. As wayward outcasts beneath the Deep Forest's boughs, as hopeful invaders against the unicorns, as defenders from the same. The one you lifted to lead beside you before was ill-suited, though all trusted your judgement then. My dear, are you surprised that finally one decides to speak out in words of doubt when you lift yet another to lead? Perhaps, my dear, it is time you ask those who raised you to lead us who they would see stand beside you, instead."

A brow lifted, ironically, as he regarded her. The masses had chosen her to lead, and still chose to follow her. Why shouldn't she ask their opinion, when all had seemed to agree she was who they wished to have lead, despite the times in which she became scarce.

Only then did he fold his wings, moving with deliberate slowness to fold them down upon themselves and reveal the glow of stars and moon above the clearing. His long tail swayed as he turned away, piece spoken, and moved to stand amidst the trees, not all that far beyond the Wingleader who'd brought this all up to start with.

((AAAAHH Dramatic Vikram post!))

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

Ears laced backwards as Kaj began to speak. The WingLeader was yelling at Mirage not to lie to someone, who Aaron had not understood. His blood boiled and his eyes turned black the longer the pegasus spoke. The more the stallion yelled and ranted the more it was clear that Aaron was getting pissed. Well, actually beyond pissed. If it was not for the fact Kaj was supposed to be family Aaron would of made him think he was on fire. Beside him Alanna was growling and pacing at his front hooves. It was clear the bonded pair was enraged by the words being thrown at thier leader.

However he waited, letting his anger stew and grow the more Kaj went on. Even as Vikram began to speak it did not cool the young stud's anger. Blacken eyes turned to face Kaj as finally he let spill his own tirade of words. "And where exactly have you been Kaj? Have you been here since the beginning, when we shed blood for the very ground we now stand on? Have you seen the true distruction others who wander upon our boarders have caused? You stand there and act all high and mighty because you do not like who our Leader had choosen to lead at her side." Here he paused. "You call Lace a racist and a traitor, when have you really and truely gotten to know him and his history? Answer that before you say who is worthy and who is not. The Qian is not your's to decide who leads and who takes what place. Mirage is the only one who has that power, unless she gives that right to you."

Alanna continued to pace at Aaron's hooves, as Aaron began yet again. "You say the GentleHeart has been here to guide us yet, do you see him among us now? Have you seen him among us in the last few months... I for one have not, and from what my sisters have told me they have not either. How can you say he abandoned us when the one you seek to push into glory had seemingly done the same?" Once again Aaron stopped to breathe and breathe only before continuing to let loose on this ignorant stud who seemed to think he was better than everyone else standing there. "You do not know or I doubt you will ever understand what pushes us to leave the Edge, to seek answers for ourselves or simply to allow our minds and bodies to heal. I too have left and returned, yet I have yet to call me, or my younger siblings, traitors. Are we to traitors for leaving to let our minds heal from the losses we have suffered in the last few months? Or do the deaths of friends and family mean nothing to you? I did not see you rising to aid anyone or comfort anyone as our mother Solstice and thier father Torasin were murdered. The one you seek to call traitor did." With that he fell silent, his temper being pulled back into check by the faces around him. He had not seen Kimber yet, but it was for her that Alanna had begun to try to sooth him mentally.

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com
cliff image by John and Tina Reid at gettyimages.com

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
Much yelling... Observed the foggy gray kitsune poised precariously over the withers of the young grulla who was only belatedly answering the summons of the Dragonheart. It had been an act of effort and convenient landscaping to get Kaiden from the ground and onto his bonded's back. Neither were quite sure if they'd bother replicating the experience, novel though it was.

Indeed, murmured Kimber in response, picking up her pace. She reached the clearing just in time for the yelling voice to pause, and then the yelling to shift to someone else. Someone familiar. Aaron. Now what? She wondered, as she wove through the various bodies of horses known and unknown in order to reach her friend's side.

A bold leap had Kaiden springing down for Alanna before Kimber could reach out and grab Aaron's mane in her teeth. She gave it a firm tug, ears tilting back meaningfully before she let go. "Are you done?" Was muttered drily to the painted stud before the young grulla nipped at his shoulder in a playful fashion, trying to redirect his attention.

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
It was with some relunctance that the Wild Rose had lingered on the outskirts of the gathering, trying to decide what she should do. On one hand, habit had her wanting to stride forward to a position of prominence within the gathering, suitable to a member of the Edge's council. On the other... she'd wanted to skulk off, guilty over her lack of caring for the nurses and involvement in Resplendence's projects. The two impulses, between them, kept her here instead. Listening as Mirage promoted Lace out of nowhere and proceeded with herd dealings as if her earlier pronouncement was nothing more than an observation on the weather.

And then that observation of sunny weather was interrupted. At first by the cloud of two horses deciding to take their leave of the herd. Then by a sudden squall, given body by Kaj, of all horses. Shouted words spoke accusations and disappointments, grave indeed. The storm seemed to fade with the appearance of the Dragonheart's consort, who spoke calm words of observation and suggestion, but was renewed with the abrupt anger of Aaron, who lifted his voice in words as sharp and accusing of the stallion he attacked.

White-edged ears swept back in annoyance, the indignity of the situation driving the Wild Rose forward, all thoughts of guilt and escaping forgotten in the heat of the moment. She shouldered to the front, dark eyes flashing disapproval at Kaj and Aaron alike.

"Are you two through yelling at all and sundry like a pair of uncouth colts? I would have expected better behavior in a couple of stallions who have and do stand in positions of import within the herd. You are poor role models indeed if you dissolve into shouting at a herd meeting."

Tail lashing against her hocks with poorly contained temper, Smoke shifted her dark gaze toward the ebon frame of the Weyrleader. "Though I daresay there's some truth in all their blustering and bickering, Lady Mirage. Not a single one of us would be here if it wasn't for you and the ideal you stand for, even if some of the youngsters couldn't have named you from your sister just a day ago. Its all well and good for you or someone else to name themselves a leader if those you are supposed to lead won't follow. The exception will lead to doubt, and undermine authority. Kaj does level some pretty heavy accusations against Lace. And unanswered and unexplained, those accusations are just going to make some horses wonder, regardless of how you choose to treat your Wingleader's outburst."

Her voice dropped to a commiserating tone, meant for Mirage and Mirage alone. "Keeping a herd in line is like managing children. They don't always agree with you, or with each other. You just have to do your best to guide them in the direction that's best for them."

Then Smoke turned away, heading for Resplendence. As she did so, a startling figure made her pause and look again. Evangeline? Where'd she miss that one wandering back into Helovia? Deciding that she should try to find time to greet the mare more properly another time, Smoke offered the Pure a smile and nod of greeting before continuing on her way. "Resplendence, I apologize for my absence. I am... not myself in the wake of wars. They bring up too many old memories, and I find myself becoming isolate once the rush of picking up the pieces are over. I'd like to wish you good work and congratulations on all your work in progressing the healer presence within the herd."

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
and i'd tell that i miss you but i'm sure it doesn't matter at all
A few more had come stumbling into the meeting not long after Quil and Res. After she had spoken her word she had taken to leaning up against the stag who was one of the few people which she knew would give her unconditional support no matter the situation. They spoke little to none, or if they did it seems the words had just passed the shy mare by as she came down from dealing with the attention being cast upon her.

But, then Kaj came. And the sky seemed to change. It was as if a thunderstorm was appearing, and Res's eyes were widening in shock, amazement, and a little bit of fear. He yells, and he speaks against Lace. He speaks against the person who Mirage has chosen to lead beside her. Resplendence trusted the dark mare with her life, and she had not heard of this Lace. She had also not heard of their previous leader, and she only knew that the war that had been fought before she had drug Quil here had lead to the death of a very loved member of their herd. Her audit pricks forward as she steps away from Quil's side as the thunderstorm seems to die down, and the electricity falls.

Kaj needs comfort, but before she can get to his side there is another booming sound. The horse looked like a dragon, and Resplendence was instantly scurrying back to Quil's side for some idea of safety. No. Things were not right. He asks for an explanation, or not even an explanation. No, he asks that the herd get a chance at raising up who will lead beside Mirage herself. He speaks that their old leader had been ill-suited as well, and confusion does manage to frame Res's face. Mirage, could she possibly be the only connecting thread of this entire herd? The only one that everyone trusted with their life? And that it was so much that people were now trusting her choice of leaders because of the past?

Confusion, that was all it was until another angry voice broke through. It was the one who had called Kahlua an idiot when she had thought it was a tournament instead of an invasion. It was the one who had been given no manners during that time, and now that she wasn't in shock and pain she would not allow him to speak ill of those she considered her family now. Aaron might have been lifted by Kahlua to work at her side, but she could not allow him to speak so ill of Kaj - the one who had saved her many times before - just because he had a dissenting opinion!

A grim lined formed upon the claybank's maw, and as she went to speak while another mare seemed to pull upon his hair her voice was not the one which hit the air. Smoke was speaking, she would recognize the voice of the healer anywhere. She asks them if they are done before speaking to Mirage, explaining the situation. Resplendence waits for the mare to finish before her meek voice is coming up again. Her frame may be trembling, and she may be leaning against Quil, to afraid to move forward to give Kaj a comforting bump with all of the scary creatures surrounding him. And she knows that they are family, but the leathery wings that must be weapons, and the anger in the voice of Aaron only sere to make her fear stronger, more tangible than it had been when the electricity had started.

"JUST STOP!" she almost screeches, her voice to broken to actually be loud though. It almost falls at a whisper, but with as much anxiety as if she had yelled. Slowly, her voice builds up, and strengthens. "Please. Just stop! There is no need to fight. Aaron. Please watch your tongue! In your attempt to voice your opinion and disagreement with Kaj's own you are degrading a stag who I believe has done nothing but help you. And this is not the first time I have seen you degrade your own brethren. I was there, sir, when you called Kahlua daft, and told her that her head should be examined - as if she were insane and needed some sort of locked off place. I have seen you be rude before, and unfortunately, I cannot say that doing so to your family is ever right. I'm disappointed, that someone I had hoped to call family one day only seems to prove to me over and over again that manners are lacking." Her voice is strong, radiating just a little as she steps forward, closer to where Kaj is, and away from Quil. But she cannot reach Kaj's side - not with the leather winged creature so close to him. Her instincts, her inner fears do not help her. "To everyone here, there should be a right to voice your opinion and not be attacked. You may not agree with what one has to say, and they may not word it in such a fashion as you like, but you still deserve to be heard. I am with Smoke, that we are here for Mirage. Do not allow the chances at a real family break so easily. Do not claim Kaj does not understand, or judge him when you do not know him. Please. I ask that you don't do that to anyone here. Kaj has saved me - even before I was a part of the Edge. He is my family - that is one of the reasons that I speak now. But all of you are family to me, in some way..."

Her voice breaks as she sees Smoke coming closer to her, and so she swallows before finishing her statement. "Please. The fighting. It needs to stop. It will lead to deeper injuries than the physical ones we have gained from the defense of our home. I cannot bare to see any of our home as broken as my mind is. It is a punishment I would wish on no one. And this... this bickering... it's how it starts..."

Tears were in her eyes. She didn't think she would have been in the near tears, but she can feel them now. They are rolling down her cheek and she shakes her head to make them go away. It is then, when she sees Smoke at her side, and her name falling from the dark mare's lips. Blinking away the last of the tears she nods her head in welcoming, unable to gain her voice back right away without choking on the words and risking crying again. Instead, she only stretches her maw so she might place it on the mare's right shoulder and tries to lip at the strands of hair there. Resplendence inches in closer as she apologizes, wishing her good work and a congratulations. "Thank you, Smoke. It means... much more than you can understand..." She whispered in response, voice harsher as she kept the tears back. Maybe she did finally have a place...

Credits
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Nato Posts: 84
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: 13 Buff: NOVICE
Candy

Others had come. He found himself watching them as they strode in, the way they would hold their self, to walk in on a high note, or to just mix in with the crowd, not really wanting to be put in on the spot light. He grinned to himself, remembering calling the annual meetings back in the Woodlands. They were always entertaining; a family feud at its best. A time for people to shine in recognition, to fight about what everyone loathes about the equines within, or the way things are ran. No meeting is going to have everyone bow down to their master. Hell, even in his time Nato and the beautiful roan Queen that ran the forest before him had it out plenty of times before he took the throne. Without conflict, there would never be reason, nor peace. It was only a matter of time before someone raised their voice. He was sure of it.

Turning his attention back to Mirage, he let the ocean breeze brush through his threads, rippling them gently as he hears his name rolling off her lips. How sour was that taste, he could only imagine. They didn’t know each other well, but they had more history than meets the eye. He grinned to himself, arching his head, and digging a hoof upon the dusted rock below his chiseled cannons. Call it arrogance, that made him take pride in her notice to him; but he loved to make someone squirm with wonder. Shortly after her speech however; the air changed. Pressure seemed to drop, and the air was thick as clouds rolled around the gathering. A storm was coming, and so sudden? Well, he had not seen anything like this..in such a long time.

DON’T LIE TO HIM! The voice of a another boomed like the circling thunder; Kaj, a stallion he had met his first moments upon the lands of the Edge. He was addressing Mirage and so boldly. Audits pinned against his skull as the winged stallion erupted into view. Nato was intrigued to say the least, as the winds rumbled around him and the sky flashed with lightning. His powers, all to familiar to him; and he rather enjoyed it. Though, to play off with the rest of the crowd he firmed his stance, and turned to face the stallion, making sure to keep Mirage in his vision; if only to see her reaction. How would she take a contender challenging her judgment? If she was anything like her father, it would be a good show.

He breathed, as the Kaj thundered on about Lace, and Equality. Why was he accusing Lace of being a racist? Nato must inquire to this issue; as he never would have guessed Lace to be such. After all, being Equine it meant that he couldn’t stand one or the other between Unix and Pegasus. The black beast cocked his head as he turned and looked among the groups standing before him. He could smell the anger swelling in the hearts of others here. A fire had just been ignited, and for the first time he wasn’t the cause! Well.. he might have been.

"My my.." Nato whispered under his own breath as he listened to Kaj carry on, and on for what seemed like the biggest moment in his life. Finally, things seemed to calm. This stallion really seemed to have something against Lace; what had he done that was so horrible to leave such a lasting impression on this stallion? Better yet, where was the newly dubbed King? Why had he not answered Mirage’s call of adherence? Natos thoughts could jumble in his mind all evening; but as the storm clouds seemed to clear so did his mind. He found crimson eyes resting upon the confused Pegasus as he retreated into the mists in disgrace. It didn’t take long to get a response out of his fellow herd mates. Another Pegasus landed as if from out of the heavens, and stood before his Queen. His words were true, and wise as he mentioned asking her kingdom whom we thought should rule alongside her. But even then, another stallion crossed his mouth booming out in arrogance against the golden Pegasus Kaj.

Nato had to refrain from rolling his eyes, as he turned to the ocean and just gazed into its beauty as the nights calmness had been restored. How was the moral and integrity among the herd now? What would the DragonHeart do now that some have risen against her? Nato could only question himself- what would he do in this situation? Simple. Though, he figured it a bad idea to voice he was a racist, and had led the Woodlands (a neutral herd) with no problem. Perhaps she would agree, to advise a council to appoint a new King, or maybe she would blow it off and let people throw fits no matter her choice.

Where the hell was Lace? He was really missing some dramatic shit. Another mare spoke, and took side with the Queen. STOP. His attention, flashed to a mare as she pleaded the arguing to seize. She seemed to stand beside Kaj and his opinion. Her speech ended in her weeping a thanking the mare that spoke before her. Nato found himself ready for this herd gathering to get on with it already. ”Such a fuss, and Lace is not even present. Where is our new appointed to be King?" His vocals were calm, questioning his absence of his herd meeting. Crimson eyes beaming in the moonlight as he turned his direction between the herd members.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
At first it was nothing, just a slow gathering of horses like any other herd meeting she had ever attended. Which, admittedly, was few, but still... Everything was pretty normal. Kahlua would even count herself as happy. But then... Then everything exploded. Kaj entered the scene, a stallion in brilliant form as usual, but just as angry as the last time she had seen him. Almost instantly her eyes began to water. She hated to see him like this, so angry. And she would have moved towards him, tried to snuggle under his wing, press against his side and nuzzle his neck, but she was scared. What if... what if he pushed her away? What if he didn't want her? The thoughts only made her eyes water more.

And then there was more anger. So many voices, so many accusations. The girl pulled her ears back on her head, lowered her head towards her basket, nosed it in close to her. She was trembling nervously. All she wanted was to grab her friends, to drag them in close to her, to make them shelter her from the loud noises. But all of them were the problem. Kaj- yelling. Aaron- yelling. Smoke- chastising. Res- chastising. In the end, Kahlua picked Alysanne to move towards, grabbing her basket and taking shaky steps, shoving herself against her side, hoping that the painted pegasus would lift her wing so Kahlua could hide under it's tent of feathers.

And then, among all the yelling, the only one that made any sense. Such a fuss, and Lace is not even present. Where is our new appointed to be King? The words struck a chord with the trembling girl, made her shudder. Hadn't she thought similar blasphemies not so long ago? Was there something to all this after all. Was Lace really not fit to lead? She just sighed, a single tear finally falling from her eye. This was all too much. She hoped it ended soon.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Dragomir Posts: 275
World's Edge Glazier atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17" :: 7 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bunnie
The cacophony grew after a peaceful beginning; the instigator was a stallion of pegasus decent, his body of similar tones to Ricochet but for the grotesque and wrong image of his wings rising towards the heavens. He wouldn’t have cared that much for one man raising his voice against Mirage – he believed she could handle this well enough herself. But, as was often the case, the initial uproar created a ripple effect, and soon many voices were being slung out into the open. Some chastised the man for talking negatively of Mirage’s decisions or of Lace, while others seemed to side with his opinions that the arrangement was faulty.

Dragomir cared nothing either way (though Vikram did receive a long and drawn out stare during the duration of his speech, quickly identified as the mystery “father” of which Semira had jested), except that the beautiful mare who was to teach him of crafting was now hiding under the wing of a mare he had come to know as Alysanne, and he was highly displeased with all this carrying on about things that, as far as he was concerned, was none of their business. If they had wanted the position, should they not have expressed their desires to Mirage?

Should they not be expressing these concerns privately? He was young, but he knew better than to air his dirty laundry in front of a whole gathering of peers. The rest who’d driven into the conversation as well as the black, while he found himself siding with those who rose to the defense of their ebony queen, were looked at now with disdain, for the normally quiet young man had seen quite enough of all this arguing; stepping aside to stand on the other side of the trembling Kahlua, he gives her a soft and long glance as the painted unicorn stallion presents and interesting question.

Where was Lace?

"Remain calm, miss Kahlua," he whispers to the girl who has earned his eye, the girl who his mistakenly believes to be a brilliant philosopher and who is rightly the most beautiful creature he has ever seen, "Mirage will set them right." Of this, he firmly believed; of all the things he held doubts in, his chosen leader was not one of them. Was it not for her that he strove to be better than the racist bloodlines from which he had come?

The memory of Ricochet is a splinter in his heart he’d rather not linger on at this moment.

Wishlist | Table Tracker  

Any violence/magic is allowed to be used upon Dragomir at anytime, permitting it doesn't kill or seriously maim him without my permission <3

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

LACE</style>
before the sun sets
GLORY
</style>

Lace was late for a reason. When the call to gather went out and spread it's echo across the woodland realm, the argent stallion had been unfortunate enough to stand on the opposite side of the region. While he did his best to hurry to the side of the queen with Fajira flitting through the air beside him, it was still a slow pace compared to those blessed with wings, and thus his arrival was delayed.

As he closed in on the gathered horses however, the sound of raised voices made the bright expression on his face fade. A concerned frown drew lines around the golden eyes, and as Fajira landed on his back the grullo he came to a halt, lingering outside the circle of horses in the shade of the trees - listening, watching, as accusations, doubts and complaints were raised against his new position.

When first Kaj, then Vikram and Aaron were through the white-maned equine sighed heavily. It wasn't that he had expected everyone to cheer and congratulate when Mirage broke the news to the herd, but it left a bitter taste in the mouth to hear that so many of the others doubted him. To even hear Smoke leave him hanging... It hurt, but then again he couldn't deny that some of their doubts were well founded. He had a history of coming and going quite a lot, his rank in the herd had changed a lot... He was not a pillar of stability and peace, it was the truth. But then again... Was the World's Edge a prison where you had to have a reason and permission to step outside the borders?

Finally Nato gave the cue to stop skulking about by questioning his lack of presence, and Lace didn't fail to take the hint.
"I'm here" he said and stepped out beneath the open sky, quietly making his way through the herd with his head held high and face unreadable. Pale orbs touched upon the frames of his family members as he moved past them, recognizing old faces and memorizing the new ones, all up until the moment where he found himself face to face with Mirage, who had stood silent throughout all the shouting and bickering.

"I apologize for being late" he said, addressing the WeyrLeader but speaking in a tone that allowed all the gathered ones to hear. "I found myself on the southern border when you called, and it took some time to get back." That said, he slipped in beside her and turned to look out over the sea of faces, feeling the weight of their gazes upon him. For some time he stood silent, quietly trying to grasp the mood of the crowd and come up with some eloquent way to explain himself... Then he gave up and shook the head slowly.

"I've heard your doubts, and recognize them" he said, keeping the voice low as he continued. "I have to admit that you have reasons to hold them, because I am not perfect. My absences have been several and quite long. I have indeed been moving around in the ranks. I could give you explanations and excuses for all that, but truth be told I don't think it matters. My personal search for a place and purpose is not relevant. But I do think I shall try and explain the source of Kaj's accusation of me being a racist." His gaze turned towards the palomino general and rested upon him for a moment.

"As most of you know, this land called World's Edge were once home to a herd of unicorns. The Qian took it over by force two years ago, driving the original inhabitants out in the process. Following that event, the outcasted unicorns wandered north and discovered a new habitable land, Aurora Basin. But, despite their new land they held a grudge against us, and against our allies from Dragon's Throat. Over the past two years there has been a silent struggle going on between our three herds; kidnappings, random attacks on our family, that kind of things. And we replied in kind, taking back our kind and returning the favor in hope that the leaders of the Basin would tire of this game. It culminated last winter, just before the disappearance of the gods, as two of our friends were murdered. Solstice, mother to Aaron and his siblings, and Torasin, father of the same. It has since been confirmed that members of the Basin was indeed responsible in both cases."

Here Lace had to pause and swallow back the lump that grew in his throat, as always when he remembered his friends. Something vital had been lost from the herd since they disappeared, gone from him and from them all.

"After that" he continued with strained voice, "a plan was laid out between our queen and the leader of the Dragon's Throat, meant to stave off any further attempts on our family by offering an ultimatum. Unfortunately, it backfired and the Basin along with the Foothills launched an attack on our herd, as well as on our allies. We were able to stave off the invaders thanks to the brave defenders and volunteers that stood up to them."

"Now, the point of all this" he said, "is that we have a long history of bad blood between this herd and Aurora Basin. As they only accept unicorns into their midst, this unfortunately means that we mostly see hostility from horned ones. I admit that this colors my view on strangers. If I see a horse I don't know attempting to cross through the gate into our land, I am going to stop them, until I can confirm that they are not a threat. This, Kaj, is what happened before you arrived" Lace added and looked at the WingLeader again, taking the opportunity to address the other accusation - of having Fajira bully a cub.

"I saw a stranger, a unicorn I didn't know, examine the wall and then walk towards the gate, and I called out to ask his purpose in coming here. In order to definitely stop him I asked my dragon to cut off his path, which she did by flying in front of him before proceeding to circle above the entrance. Unfortunately her appearance startled both the intruder and his young companion - the young griffin took a leap at Fajira, but ended up falling to the ground as it was incapable of flight. In no way did I or my bonded harm the companion. I do admit that my language when talking to the stranger was far from acceptable however. I jumped to conclusions and made unfounded accusations, which was inappropriate. However, I stand by what I said that day. Anyone who approaches this land I will regard as a potential threat until they have proven themselves otherwise. I believe that respect and trust should be earned - and that goes for everyone."

Finally, the stallion finished and took a deep breath, looking out over the crowd with head held high to see how his words were received. Whether they would make the mood better or worse was hard to say - at least he knew he had spoken the truth as far as he knew it.

"I wish to keep this herd safe. I don't want to loose any more friends. Everything I do, I do to protect you. Each and every one of you, no matter what your race, gender, history or beliefs are. This will not change, whether I stand before you as leader or among you as WeyrFolk. Now, you question Mirage's decision to make me a leader. Truth be told, so do I. But she asked me for help because she felt that she alone was not enough, that she alone could not protect you, defend you, listen to your concerns and fears and ease them with answers. Mirage asked me to stand by her side, and so I will do my best to live up to her expectations, and yours. If some or all of you still hold doubt about my ability, my suitability for this position... Do let me know who you would prefer. Tell me who you think is more worthy, more capable, more trustworthy, and I will gladly step down in their favor."

And with that he finished, looking between Kaj, Vikram, Smoke - the ones who had been loudest in their objections and desire for a vote. Well, here was their chance.

CREDITS: Schwartze | venomxbaby | 116802
BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden