the Rift

[OPEN] The Fire

Alina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Fire of the Diviner

Alina had never seen magic such as this. An eternal fire; it’s flames reaching for the heavens without end. It glowed orange, red and yellow before her eyes; twisted, turned and cracked. It was soothing in a way. Maybe because fire symbolized warmth and warmth was something the girl worshipped. Maybe she ought to worship the Sun God as well? But how did one pay respect to something that one had never encountered? Where she came from religion had not existed and the only ones who were worshipped were the leaders. I need to learn more about him. the dove decided.

She looked around in the night. It was cold - one of two reasons why she was at the Fire. Since the dove’s chest, belly and the inside of her legs were not covered with pristine white hair anymore the slightest chill in the air made her shiver. And now when Orangemoon was upon them the desert nights grew colder with every passing day. The other reason why she stood by the fire was Africa; the dappled, one-winged mare whom she had met at the end of Tallsun. She wished to speak to her again and she had heard that the Diviner was tending the Fire. Maybe it wasn’t magical after all?

A shiver traveled through her slender body. A dull pain emitted from her half healed wounds and a soft grunt escaped her. Some time had passed now since her run in with Ricochet and her burns were healing nicely. A few patches of her raw skin had even obtained a healthy pink color. However she knew that it didn’t matter, because when the real cold came she would freeze to death anyway. Maybe she would be alright of the stayed at Helovia’s Heart throughout Frostfall? But there were not much to eat or drink over there. What if she stood by this fire every night? If Frostfall wasn’t too harsh daytime in Dragon’s Throat would be bearable, wouldn’t it? There must be some way for her to survive. She didn’t feel ready to die now. She had so much more to experience! She wanted to take a position in the herd; help Onni with her work maybe? And the thought of leaving this world before knowing the joy of motherhood was maybe the most frightening. To die without leaving a part of her behind; she didn’t want that!

A sigh left her body and then the dove shook her head. Her pristine mane danced upon her thin neck and she forced a smile to her lips. She knew there was no use dwelling on this matter, but truth be told she was a bit scared.

Turning to the fire again the dove thought of all the new friends she had made and all the nice horses she had encountered in her new home. She thought of Virus and Skuggi. Gaucho and Onni. Of Africa, Dust and Midas. And she felt like her heart lit up with warmth; as if the Fire did not only burn before her emeralds eyes but also inside of her chest. Dragon’s Throat really was her home and the thoughts she had had when she started her somewhat failed exploring expedition (that she would move on when she didn’t find Helovia interesting anymore) were far from her mind now. This time she would stay, this time she wouldn’t ponder if the grass was greener somewhere else; this time she had found her way home.

locolobo.net

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

keep on walking, soldier girl, home is far behind you

When Megaera had arrived in the region, the summer had been waning, near to close, and the winds of autumn had come with a crisp chill. The earth-colored mare didn’t mind the wind (in fact, she was quite fond of the forceful currents) but the cold she could do without, it reminded her too much of the tundra where she had been born. Her father’s herd had all been thickly coated and hot blooded, but her mother’s southern blood had made Meg ill-suited for the cold. As she moved south back towards her newfound desert home, the air warmed again and the young mare had let her path wander.

Wide wings beat steadily as Meg circles lower and lower towards the sandy ground; she had spied a lake farther off, it seems, but there would be time for that later. Like usual, her agility in the air seemed to cease abruptly as she set down, taking her a second step to find sure footing on the solid earth. She had been hoping she might catch up with the two that had met her at the threshold. And what a strange meeting it had been; Gaucho with his snake (whose idea it had apparently been to invite Meg to the Throat) and sweet-tempered Africa with her dark plumed bird. The thought of being met with such openness still confused the poor girl. She had liked it, certainly but it was just so foreign. Megaera had been drilled in ‘fight first, ask questions later’, now she was beginning to think that might not be the best way to go about things.

She had spied the cloud-colored Pegasus from the sky, standing near the bright orange and yellow spits of the tall fire and now she stood about one hundred yards away. First, she was tempted to turn, avoid interaction all together, but she thought better of it This is your home now, you have to make it yours. Give them their best chance. So she started forward, black hooves kicking up sand and stones in their wake.

The white dove near the fire was stunning, sure enough, and it helped to put Meg’s mind at ease that she was neither very large, nor very old from the looks of it. In her attempt to break the habit of jumping straight to a defensive frame of mind, it helped that the mare she was forcing herself to approach was in size and bearing, had a very non-threatening presence. “Good idea, to keep near the fire, though this one seems to be more than just that.” She said in her low, controlled voice. Megaera thought better of those exact words as she came to a halt near the fire. She could see the raw scarring across the young one’s tender skin, they looked like they had come from fire as well. “I’m Megaera.” He tone may have been steady, but her face betrayed her slight unease. She was eager to be sociable but due to a severe lack of practice was not quite sire how to go about being so. “Are you a resident of Dragon’s Throat as well? I have only recently been invited here by Gaucho, who I think is one of the leaders here.”

[lainespeak]
Tags:
Notes: Hi! Hope you don’t mind me butting in :)

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Unregistered
The dove heard hoof beats over the hard, red sand. A dull unmistakable thud accompanied by the faintest rustle of feathers told Alina that the approaching horse was a pegasus. And the scent informed her that it was a mare of the Throat. Alina turned and in the light of the stars she saw a bay mare dressed solely in brown and black. She was adorned with a broach of silk and bone and in a way she reminded Alina of Gaucho.

The dove received her herdmate with a smile. She had heard many times how the members of the Throat greeted each other and for the first time she used the greeting herself. "Good evening, sister." It felt good to call the other mare “sister”, it felt like she finally took the last step into the herd; that she was now really part of the family."Although I guess ‘evening’ has passed us by."

"My name is Alina Josephina, a pleasure meeting you Megaera. I joined the Dragon’s Throat only this Tallsun, but I already feel at home." The dove offered a warm smile and gestured towards the fire. "Please, join me by the fire. Unless you have other things to attend to?"

She hoped the bay mare would want to stay.

"I have met Lord Gaucho, he saved my life when I had just arrived here. He and Midas are great Sultans. In fact I think everybody I have met since I came here are lovely people. I have never experienced a quite so warm welcome as I have received here, have you?" She said while turning back to watch the mesmerizing flames. Her normally gleeful demeanor was somewhat dimmed down this night, no doubt because of her uncertain future. But she still smiled broadly at her herdmate and even though Megaera seemed a bit unpracticed in socializing the dove didn’t mind her company at all. On the contrary she was immensely happy to not be alone this starlit night.

"Tell me Megaera, from where do you hail?"

She felt good talking to someone, even though it wasn’t Africa who had come. Anyway the dove knew she couldn’t expect the dappled mare to be awake at this hour. Frankly she couldn’t expect anyone to be and yet there she was; talking to Megaera. Alina felt rather blessed this night despite her possibly impending doom.

ooc; I don't mind at all<3

locolobo.net

@[Megaera]

Megaera had once called a frozen tundra “home” but that now seemed such an unfitting word to call it. In her nearly three years there she had seen half the kindness and welcome that had come her way in barely two months in Helovia. The little soldier girl inside her kept waiting for an ambush, for someone to break this stream of smiles and soft words. Here in Dragon’s Throat it seemed that she was going to have to get used to being a part of a herd that actually wanted her there.

Warmed by the bright flames in their little dance, it was so easy for Meg to forget the night. The pretty little white thing before here, Alina Josephina she said her name was, smiled at her with such sweetness that she was quite disarmed. As contrary as it might have been to the habits she had built up, as the little dove spoke and called her ‘sister’, Megaera found herself smiling back and relaxing. So used to the company of other females being tainted with scorn and disinterest, Megaera for the sensation of comforting female companionship so novel, but it was such a pleasant feeling, just like she had met Africa in the threshold. So unexpected, so incredibly dear.

”Well met, Alina Josephina.” she said, her low voice calm as she grew ever more so. At the invitation, Meg stepped up closer to the fire and the white mare. “A warm welcome indeed. I was greeted back at the threshold by Gaucho, and a mare named Africa as well, perhaps you’ve met her? I only just arrived here at Dragon’s Throat, but I’m already learning to like it quite a bit.”

Thinking about where she’d come from inevitably made the circumstances of her departure flash in front of Megaera’s mind’s eye. An involuntary flash of defiance, of anger ran across her features. He deserved it! For all her father had done and all he’d failed to do, surely she had been justified. But with that old rage and resentment guilt still stirred, and she always tried so hard to move on. In an act of defiance she had woven his bone into her mane, but sometimes it felt more like a chain that a trophy. Meg must have noticed that she’d been lost in memories for a moment, so she shook her head to clear it. “Sorry… ah.. North of here, and quite far east of here too, I suppose.” she said with a sheepish smile, casting around for a change of subject, I like it much better here, that’s for certain.”

Her eyes found the fire again and latched onto that. “This…um… this fire. There’s something odd about it isn’t there? I’ve already heard and seen a bit of the magic of this land, is this something special too?

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Unregistered
”Well met, Alina Josephina.”

Hearing someone utter her complete name sounded strange to the dove. Everybody she’d met so far had just assumed it was alright to call her by her first name. Not that she minded, not at all, but she wasn’t really used to the lack of formality in Helovia. She had been only a yearling when she left Rama; her birth land, and so she hadn’t quite adopted all the nuances to the language used there, but she was still accustomed to a more formal way of speech than what was used here in her new home. Because of this she was pleasantly surprised by Megaera’s words and a warm smile quickly replaced the surprise in her pale face. ”You may call me Alina if you like.” she said because offering a nickname was a sign of friendship in Rama.

”I have met Africa yes. She is a lovely mare; so caring and kind!” she said then as Megaera seemed to drift away in thoughts. Tilting her head slightly and flicking her ears Alina awaited her herd sister's return to the present. When she did come back it was obvious that she wasn’t keen on speaking about her former home and Alina understood her. She guessed that most immigrants were either running from something or running to find something better. She knew she had done both.

In a graceful movement the dove reached for the other mare’s withers. Softly, like a flutter of a butterfly’s wings, Alina touched her pink muzzle to Megaera’s bay skin to give her comfort or at least show her that she understood. It was just a brief moment of contact; she remembered all too well what had happened last time she tried to comfort another. But at least Megaera was a sister of the Throat which should make her safe to touch. Still Alina felt a bit wary.

Megaera spoke again, Alina liked her voice; it seemed to be the voice of a youth as much as the voice of a seasoned, wise mare. The cremello girl was quite sure that Megaera had far more life-experience than her - even though they didn’t seem to differ much in age.

Looking back at the flames that lit up the night in unison with the stars Alina answered Megaera’s question with little enlightenment: ”Too be honest I do not know, Megaera. I believe there must be some sort of magic to this fire, because if it isn’t Africa would need to be gathering fuel for it every waken hour.”

Alina fell quiet for a second and considered again how close in age she and Megaera seemed to be. Maybe the mare had some answers to the strange feeling she had had lately? Slowly turning her head to the bay she decided to at least ask.

”I don’t know if this is considered a too intimate question, but my body has been behaving rather strangely since middle of Tallsun and since you are roughly my age maybe you know what it is? I seem to recall something one of my mothers told me about coming of age, but I don’t really remember what it meant. I mean my heart races and I get all hot when I see some horses, sometimes I even get lightheaded and a feel a... well my…” she blushed and cut herself short, regretting that she’d brought the subject up. She couldn’t go around asking recently made acquaintances about matters this private, what was she thinking?!

Megaera would probably be confused by “one of my mothers”, but Alina totally forgot to explain herself; she was too busy wishing she hadn’t brought up the embarrassing subject.

locolobo.net

It was easy to forget one’s troubles in the company of a friend, and though this was only their first meeting, Meg felt that bond starting to settle between her and the little pegasus beside her. Growing op, she’d only ever had one that she could have called a friend and that had been for such a short time, and since she’d grown quite unused to having one. It was an odd feeling still, but it was a comfortable one. Friendship, like the fire before her, was something that warmed and soothed, and Meg was happy to think that she would find it here in Dragon’s Throat.

Already thoroughly charmed by the little mare, Meg felt a burst of affection when she had reached out to offer support and comfort. Alina seemed wary of the contact, as if she expected to be rebuked for a show of kindness, and this made the gesture even dearer. To show compassion in the face of fear, even a small fear, was a remarkable thing indeed, and a place where the two mares differed. Megaera had in in her to be a true and loyal friend, but kindness was rarely her first instinct. Most often she would prepare for a fight before saying hello, but she had been trying to reform herself.

She smiled as Alina answered her questions, speaking of Africa and the fire blazing before them. Alina may not have known exactly what, but it seemed that there must be some sort of magic at work, but a good magic. Life magic. Night had closed around them but it blazed on, keeping the chill at bay and giving light to this meeting.

The little dove’s words took a turn then, and it was clear from her tone that she was hesitant to pose the question. When she had finished abruptly, blushing as her words trailed off, Megaera could hardly stifle a laugh. There was no cruelty meant in her mirth, it just seemed so strange that anyone would seek her advise or wisdom on any matter. She certainly caught on to what Alina was speaking of, she’d experienced the same changes herself not so very long ago.

”Be at peace, little sister.” She said, her deep voice as comforting as she could make it. She reached up with her black muzzle to gave a gentle little tussle of Alina’s forelock. ”This is the change every mare must have. You’ll feel it come and go every season as we all do. It’s the urge and time for…well, for coupling.” she paused, maybe a bit awkwardly, hoping that Alina would pick up on that bit. ”No longer a baby yourself, you’ll be able to go off and have your own when you choose to, and any fit stallion is sure to send you into a flutter. You’ll have too be on guard, little one, for as you notice them they’re sure to notice you as well.

She paused again, she didn’t want to scare the girl, but from Meg’s experience with stallions any mare at her time was liable to drive them to be even more aggressive that they naturally might be, and Alina, pretty thing that she was, would definitely attract her share of attention. You should know that some stallions can get a bit…aggressive…in these matters, so I wouldn’t go wandering alone at these times. Stick by the herd and you’ll be just fine.” She smiled reassuringly. Meg certainly hoped this was true, but she couldn’t guarantee it. She’d only met two others from Dragon’s Throat and though they had seemed nice enough, what if the others in the herd were not? Even as she tried to reassure Alina, part of her words were also for her own benefit as well. She had to believe that not all were like this she’d grown up with.

[lainespeak]
Notes: Aww, Meg and Alina are such cute little buddies!

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure

Unregistered
Pink muzzle softly trembling in anticipation of a laugh or a scolding; emerald eyes filled with embarrassment; tiny ears flicking nervously; slender body tense and stiff. For the moment Alina wished that she could turn back time and take back her question. But she also wondered why the slightest error in her behavior threw her entirely off track. Why did her self-esteem insist on riding this rollercoaster? Why was she feeling so calm and self assured one second and so insignificant and insecure the next? She was not being fair to herself; in her strong moments she created situations that made her weak. Why couldn’t she just relax?!

The dove could see and hear the signs of laughter in Megaera’s features and her heart sank. Again she cursed herself and that didn’t really help her in her plight. She tried desperately to reach that state of self assurance that she desired, but to no avail. She felt as if she was shrinking with every passing moment; soon she’d be so small and insignificant that an ant could trample her. She expected the bay mare to break into laughter any second, but instead something amazing happened…

Alina thought she would never seize to be amazed by the kindness of those residing in the Dragon’s Throat. Where she had been expecting taunting laughter she received a sisterly ruffle of her silky forelock.

With a sigh the girl relaxed. Tension slid off her slender body like a wet blanket and she turned to Megaera with a warm, thankful smile. She listened carefully to every word the bay mare uttered and made sure that she etched every one of them into her memory. She was extra careful to take note of the warnings she was given; she didn’t know it then, but Megaera’s warnings would sway Alina’s orientation even more towards mares.

"Thank you, Megaera, for not laughing at me." Alina said. Speaking openly now that she felt secure again. "Sometimes I seem to be a little bit too open." She gave a shy laugh and flicked her ears.

"Also I am very thankful for your advice, I will remember your warnings and I will be careful."

Since she had no siblings and her only foalhood friend had been a colt Alina had always wanted a big sister. It most likely had to do with her complicated relationship to her mother and to Josephina, and now a tiny spark of hope started glowing inside her that maybe Megaera could make that wish come true. The dove was glad now that she had asked the question because it seemed to have formed bonds between her and the bay that would have taken longer to appear had she not been so open.

Suddenly Alina yawned and her eyelids dropped slightly. "Oh, I didn’t notice how tired I was." she said and smiled as she gazed into the flames of the fire before them. Slowly, very slowly she began to fold her front legs. Every movement tugged on her marred skin, but it didn’t hurt all too much. When she was finally on the ground she looked up at her herd sister and said with another yawn: "I think I will sleep here by the fire tonight. Will you stay with me?"

The skies above were covered in glittering stars and maybe it was because Alina was tired, but the reflection of the stars in Megaera’s eyes created the illusion of the night sky being visible through the bay mares black pools; as if the heavens resided inside her soul. However, it made Alina feel safe.

ooc; hehe yes! So cute :D

I must say I love Megaera's design, I often find that less is more when it comes to character design and I think you nailed it!

locolobo.net

Meg had noticed Alina’s moments of discomfort, the signs of anxiety that has replaced her embarrassed expression. It seemed that the young dove had expected a reprimand for foolishness, almost shrinking away from Meg before she responded. The mare thought she knew at least some of the feelings causing this reaction, though she’d been conditioned to respond with fight instead of flight. She’d had to stand her ground or she’d have gotten it twice as bad.

Alina visibly relaxed when the mare spoke, and Meg returned the smile with one of her own. It may have been unpracticed, even a little awkward, but it was genuine and the blossoming affection for her new friend could not be mistaken. ”I don’t know how qualified I am to be an advisor, but I will help where I can. I only recently went through the same thing myself.”

She watched the mare yawn, and chuckled softly at her words and stretched her head upwards to survey the heavens”It is getting awfully late, the stars are out in force now.” She brought her head back down as the dove started to bed down next to the fire’s warmth. Her eager ears swiveled round towards the other in concern as she arranged her tender scarred legs under her. She hesitated for barely a moment at the request, but then quietly settled herself beside Alina, and on pure impulse, stretched out a wide brown-cloaked- wing to cover the girl. "Sleep then, little sister, the fire and I will keep watch for you.”

Offering comfort was a new milestone for Megaera. She’d only ever been moved to do so for one other creature, and that seemed so very long ago now the impulse had been all but forgotten. Here with the night pressing close around her, kept at bay only by the little patch of dancing flames, she felt a surge of affection and a drive to protect her new friend. The little white mare had such an untarnished sweetness that though it was so different from Meg’s nature, the older mare could not help falling into the role of big sister above and beyond the call of heard-mates. She reminds me of Tanna she thought, remembering her childhood friend. I couldn’t protect her…. But this time will be different. If Dragon’s Throat was to be her home, she’d have to learn to redefine her idea of home, and redefine her notion of family. Megaera would make them her own, and she would protect them.

[lainespeak]
Notes: Thanks Rover! And sorry about the delay!

Unregistered
Her heavy eyelids closed over her emerald eyes and she quickly began to fade into the realm of dreams. In a strange far-away-way she heard the voice of Megaera telling her words of comfort. The bay would keep watch and Alina could sleep without needing to worry. The dove felt warm and relaxed like she hadn’t done for many months and the last thing she thought before sleep overtook her was that she hoped to spend more time with her newfound friend. Maybe they she could make a new attempt at exploring Helovia together with Megaera. Maybe even Maeve would like to come? With those two as her body guards nothing would ever be able to hurt her.

Her tiny ears flicked and a happy sigh escaped her as she drifted away into a dream of warm colors. A smile rested on her pink lips and her ragged body looked rather peaceful despite the mar on her pristine skin. She was unafraid and unaware of the darkness that had begun to spread over her new home country. Had she known of the threat approaching, then probably she would not be sleeping as heavy as she did. Had she known that there were much more to fear from these lands than hornless unicorns, then she would be worrying her pretty, little head even more than she had done since Ricochets attack.

[So so sorry for the wait, I guess that’s a wrap though! We’ll have to thread again, soon! :D]

locolobo.net

Come to the tread in the sanctuary if you can, Meg'll be worried about her Little Sister (we'll have burn scars together WOOOOOP!!!)
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure