the Rift

[JUDGED] Instinct [open spar!]

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi
[Image: 9GuZuBt.png]

Day turned into night and carefully Ghost came into land, bracing herself and pulling up before feet finally touched the ground. Inky pools looked around as she folded away her feathered appendages, noting the odd glimpse of purple in the moon's silvery glare. She was travelling back from the Deep Forest to the Spectral Marsh, not having gotten too far before her attention was captured by the open area. All in all it was a rather uninspiring place, but the size of it made her legs itch to run, her mind turned to the prospect of sparring with another like she used to with her mother. Though the witch was despised by her daughter now, it was one of the few times that Ghost was able to forget about everything and concentrate on the dance in front of her. Each successful hit was like a victory in itself, but the little spirit had left and neglected her duty of battle practise. It simply would not do, she was apart of a family now, a twisted one maybe, but it fit her needs and catered to her taste. If she wanted to protect them, her abilities needed to be better.

Sooty ears curved forwards and cloven hooves marched her off, surely there would be someone in this meadow who would be up for a friendly fight. If Ghost could manage friendly that was, 'caught in the moment' was one of the mottoes of her life so far. It was in battle, however, that the quiet child could finally appreciate her lineage and the weaponry it blessed her with.

Stopping somewhere near where she thought was the middle of the large, purple spotted field, she cast about her gaze with intent clear on her face. A hoof stretched to paw at the earth and the strands of her pitch dipped tail slapped the air in a curt flick waiting for someone, anyone to pick up her gauntlet.

--

[ooc; 800 words max. 3 posts with hybridized dice system.
Open to Asylum Members Only at the minute. Will open to rest of Helovia characters later if no interest ^^
Setting: Clear sky, night time in the Thistle Meadow.]

GHOST.

Work your fingers to the bone
Building castles out of snow
I'm a nomad walking on
Humming to the same old song

neal.flickr.com
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Seele the Necromancer Posts: 210
Deceased atk: 5.5 |
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 hh :: five (ages orangemoon) Buff: NOVICE
Abba
I laugh. I laugh so loudly that it seems as if the world's spirits have awakened to chime in a chorus around me. I feel stronger than I have in a long time, and so it is now that I feel as if I should practice my fighting. Yes. It seemed logical, didn't it?

But since when I have been logical?

A long time ago, mien klein. You had logical as a young one. You had logic before Schwere, Innerste chides before she seems to dissipate from my mind.

Ha. Logic. No. I don't believe I ever truly possessed such a trait. She only wished to make me feel as if I had lost something in my training. I would not agree with that, nor would I agree with the way that she felt emotion was necessary for existence.

You couldn't win even if you tried, dummes Mädchen, boomed Unheil, and I simply shook my head. No. Things aren't fun when I don't win. And trust me. I win.

I'm not sure how long I had traveled, but it was definitely time that I took a short stop and payed attention to my surroundings. The sounds of wings were encased around me, coming from the sky. And then, the soft sound of hooves as they hit the ground with a soft thud!.

I inched closer and closer, my frame staying hidden in the shadows until I saw the moon radiating off of the mare's ebony back. It seems the Ghost wants to play, mien puppe, Schwere mutters in my ear before I watch her hooves marching in place.

No words escape my mouth. No, that would be too easy. But, I can feel my tail wrap around my legs, swishing back in forth as I twitch my jaw - ready to feel blood as it drips down my horn, drips down my mouth. Yes. It was time that my sharpened hooves were able to dig into the flesh of others.

One step back. Two steps back. More! More! Schwere orders and I'm backing up ten steps. My muscles are tensing, and I rock back onto my haunches - yellow orbs locked on the winged frame in the middle of the meadow. I can feel the coiling of my muscles, and then the spring as I pounce forwards - straight into a gallop at full force toward her looming frame.

Left shoulder. Left shoulder. DAMMIT SEELE LEFT SHOULDER! Schwere screeches at me as I seem to be aiming to barrel directly into her chest, and at the last moment my body veers to the right, feinting off to the side with my cranium twisted to the left, horn prepared to slice into her shoulder, near her wing.

Good! Finally you listen! Perhaps she'll have a torn muscle, Schwere mutters as I continue to go diagonally to the right, away from her.

But of course you wouldn't be that lucky, Unheil laughs, amused at the situation

Time to see what she was made of...

[503/800 words]
[1/3] and [0/1]
Seele
you better run to survive, before she makes you her latest slaughter
Credits
●☽ ☾●
Glory and Gore go Hand in Hand
That's Why We're Making Headlines
●☽ ☾●

Her call was answered by one she did not expect, but gladly she welcomed her opponent into the fight ring with the glint of challenge in her eye. No matter how much her mother had tried to teach her, Ghost was still an amateur on the battlefield, her forte lying in the art of stealth and not open combat. Though, it didn't hurt to learn a new skill in case of testing times that were sure to come. The nerves began to scratch away at her mind, her composure remaining calm on the outside, but her emotions quivered at the thought of facing her. Her lady and superior; Seele. Ghost wondered if today was the day she'd finally find out what a real battle felt like, looked like, smelt like ... Tasted like. She had no idea what her body was capable of, what her mind would do in such situations, but the gong was ringing and it was time to find out as Seele was already on the ball and making her move.

The night played with her sight, her adversary wouldn't be so easy to spot in the embrace of darkness, her only give away was the fast approaching silhouette in the moons silver gaze. Muscles tensed and her head snapped up as ears slapped back, eyes going wild to the beat of the fight, Seele was quite small in comparison to Ghost. Her body lithe and covered in red, crowned by a see through spectacle of beautiful white glass. Seele was to be respected and anything, but the young girls best would be a disgrace and an offence to her Queen. The sprites legs began to lift off the ground, eying the charge that seemed to be aiming for her barrel and instinctively choosing to rise upwards, the hardness of her hooves bearing the front lines of defence.

However, Ghost was wrong! How naive her untrained mind was as Seele was both clever and quick in her intent and turns. The slick bay body of her rival changing from frontal attack to side on, the sharp glass weapon tearing into the surface of her flesh as she rises up. Blood coating her once clean, charcoal shoulder and a sharp, higher toned grunt bursts from her lips in exclamation to the new pain in her body. Blank eyes winced as her hooves returned to the floor and battle wound number one was now tattooed on her left shoulder, nagging at her mind and body in sharp waves of pain as she swallowed into a messy canter. The height of her rear had caused the wound to be lower down, near where the leg meets the shoulder, wincing every time her leg hit the floor.

The mare went for her obvious advantage and unfurled her wings, slamming them down and lifting off from the ground. Her body blending in with the night sky, the only real give away was the wine stained in her wings and the beat of her flight. She took time to turn before taking aim to where she thought Seele was, flying down with the wind whipping her face and aimed to quickly hover past her opponent's side, aiming a heavy, rear leg kick for the right side Seele's rump.

Ghost's sense of reality (or what little sense she had of it to begin with) was now totally taken over by the fantasy world of battle, where scars and wounds made it back to everyday life.

[580/800 words]
[1/3]

GHOST.

I'm a nomad walking on

neal.flickr.com
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Seele the Necromancer Posts: 210
Deceased atk: 5.5 |
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.2 hh :: five (ages orangemoon) Buff: NOVICE
Abba
I was definitely a creature of the night. My limbs flexed and pulled as I shot from the darkness in a movement which Innerste would call elegant, Schwere would call direct, Unheil would label dangerous, and Liebling would claim to be graceful. A smile was pulling at the corners of my maw as I watched the dark figure against the night sky yank her head up, the well-formed body following after it. The winged Ghost's cloven hooves were blocking exactly where my horn would have hit, had I the mind to actually continue with the attack. But, with the subtle shift in my frame I change the frontal attack to one from the side and I feel the tug on my horn as it connects with her flesh, digs in, and then cuts at least the surface of her pelt open in a jagged line.

A laugh is escaping my lips as I listen to her grunt and then the thud of her hooves as she connects with the ground. I'm not positive exactly where my horn met her flesh, but I know it is somewhere in the vicinity of her shoulder, and that only brings a wider grin to my face. I can feel the blood as it drips from my horn and pools around my forehead. Perhaps her wings will be my next target. Rip them. Maim them. The sky will be your enemy! Schwere is ordering as I stop the thundering of my hooves and allow my two hind legs to dig down deep into the earth while my ears twitch back with the sound of beating wings. The laugh is continuing, and I'm turning around on haunches to face the direction the mare was going to be arriving from. I train my yellow orbs upon the sky as I search for her frame that is only a silhouette in the night sky against the faint rays of light.

She's going to hit you. And you're going to fall. Fall down and lose, like the little hundin you are. Unheil is going off on his tangents again, so I am pinning my ears at the mere sound of his voice as it crawls around my cranium in an attempt to distract me. I will say that the distraction worked - but only for a minuscule second, because with the sound of wings getting closer to my frame I am focused on the black figure that is coming toward me from the sky close to my right side, but the back end of my muscled frame. She could be trying to pull a bluff, as my successful one had been earlier. But, I would like to see that happen when she's beginning to numb.

I'm laughing as I start to move forward, my soul grasping onto her wiggling one and carefully plucking it from it's vessel. I don't have the time to concentrate on keeping the soul away from it's breathing ship, but it is long enough that her flint has clipped against my muscle, something that will no doubt bruise in the near future. I push off using my left side to spin around toward the, hopefully, disgruntled mare, and it is when my back right leg is forced to bear weight that I can feel the thudding pain confirming my belief that my haunch will bruise over later. Wings. Attack her wings! Schwere is continuing to order as I ignore the pain, laughing through it once more, and go straight into a full out run to cover the few paces of distance that seemed to be between us. Her soul is the only one I hear whimpering right now, and my horn continues to aim as if I am going for her right foreleg. Again, at the last second, I slice my horn upwards to where her right wing joint had been at the beginning of the charge, hoping that maybe I'd get a few feathers skewered to my horn as a trophy.

It was time to make life difficult for the devil of the skies...

It was time to see how she favored when someone was gifted with a magic meant to give you far more than an out of body experience...

[709/800] - words
[2/3] - attack
[0/1] - closing defense
Seele
you better run to survive, before she makes you her latest slaughter
Credits
●☽ ☾●
Glory and Gore go Hand in Hand
That's Why We're Making Headlines
●☽ ☾●

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
spar has been extended upon agreement of both parties, Seele's VP of 0.5 has been removed.

@[Seele]
@[Ghost]

Timer starts March 2, 2014 at 9:00PM Central Time.

The cold air stung at her wounded shoulder as the wind brushed through her feathers, bodice melting into the night sky and she felt comfortable with the cover it brought her. If anything the moon would be her giveaway, if only nature deemed this night a cloudy one, Ghost would have been completely at ease slipping into the darkest of shadows. Yet, it was not to be and she thundered on, her mind captured in her next move that aimed a flashing hind leg for the rear end of Seele. I'm sorry my Queen, this is quite rude of me she thought with a tinge of amusement, it was a strange thing to be fighting one's own Commander after all. Then again, etiquette was something battle took no heed to, another little lesson learnt for the cadaverous mare. However, there was more to the mighty Seele than first met the eye and Ghost was about to find out firsthand as she sucked in a sharp breath and her face contorted into a strange mixture of fear and wonder.

It was like the essence of her was being taken away, sucked from her bones and her bodice. Everything that was and is that made up Ghost was being torn from her very tissue. It hurt, but not in the physical kind of way, her mind was being starved of her being and it was confusing, who was she? For moments Ghost did not know, the world was a stranger, there was recognition, but no connection. A brush of a hoof as for some reason she made contact with a mare whose face she knew, her name was Seele and she was authority, but the ebony mare felt nothing. Everything looked monochrome, no vitality in her being; a true soulless ghost who looked upon the land with beautiful eyes of depravity. Her nose bunched up and her ears slid back, this feeling was awful and numbed her completely making flight difficult and her movements became odd and uncoordinated.

Hooves touched the floor and soon she was running on the earth and her face, contorted with anguish, turned to see the advance of her glass hoofed adversary who bared upon her, glittering weapon glaring. Ghost attempted to take flight again, keeping her cantering momentum through the turn which saw her face Seele, slamming wine ended wings down and rather clumsily hovered upwards as her devious sparring partner went for the game ender with her upturning slice. The horn grazed against the underside of her barrel as she lifted her wings up once more, the young mares face seemingly destined to remain in a contorted painful position as Seele's horn was lucky and found purchase on one of her red coloured feathers as they were lifted back upwards. On reflection, Ghost would probably think it was glorious, but in the reality of it she was hot and hopelessly confused with whom she was and what was happening?!

Wincing as she came to ground again, her attempt to make herself air bound coming hopelessly to a quick end, she turned back towards where she thought Seele was rather sluggishly this time, her body still a container with no life. However, even a soulless ghost like herself knew a pony could never scale the heights of a horse. Using this simple knowledge and wary of Seele's horn this time, the sprite dug in her hooves, raised her wings and lifted off the ground with her fore. Aiming for the left this time, Ghost flashed her hooves towards the upper back or shoulder area of her opponent, hoping to gain an advantage through height and repay Seele for the wound inflicted earlier.

[617/800 words]
[2/3]

GHOST.

I'm a nomad walking on

neal.flickr.com
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Sevin the Sucky, I mean are you a # or vacuum? Posts: 161
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'5" :: 25
Sevin
@[Ghost] @[Seele]
Status of this spar?

Abba Posts: 13
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'2 :: 20 years
Abba
Just default unless you can partially judge it if imi's okay with that <3

What are you afraid of? 'Cause it can't be that bad
Being friends, beneficial ties

imi Posts: 3
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'5 :: 23 HP: 10 | Buff: flail
imi
Partially judge if you can! :D otherwise default ;~;

icon by imi

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

By my verdict: GHOST is the winner!

SEELE
Realism [+1.5]
:: Your first paragraph in your second post was backing up in time just a little too far for me, since you're describing for a second time why Seele decided to veer to the right instead of attack head on. It's alright to describe the attack hitting, but I felt a little like you were reworking what had already happened.
:: “The laugh is continuing, and I'm turning around on haunches to face the direction the mare was going to be arriving from.” You can't say which direction she is coming from, only which direction you think she's coming from.
:: “I'm laughing as I start to move forward, my soul grasping onto her wiggling one and carefully plucking it from it's vessel.” Even with magic you can't say for certain it will hit your enemy. Powerplay.
:: I don't think you took enough damage for the dice role in the second post. Ghost rolled a 4 but you only took a bruise. Since a 6 is akin to critical hit type damage, I think there needed to be some stronger damage taken.

Emotion [+0]
:: I never really felt particularly drawn into Seele's character. She has these interactions with her voices, but they felt very superficial to me and I never really know what Seele feels about them. Does she like them? Are they annoying her? Are they just part of daily life that she has gotten used to?
:: I also would have liked to see more about her motivation for sparing with one of her herd mates. You gave me a little in the very beginning, but again it seemed very superficial and rushed.

Prose [+3.5]
:: “You had logical as a young one.”
:: I didn't really notice any other mistakes but since you had words left over for both posts, I would have liked a little more.

Readability [+1.5]
:: You switched tenses halfway through the first post from past to present tense. This ended up being confusing to me by the second post and I had to go back and read your first post for a minute to see where exactly you switched.

Finally tally: 20+6.5= 26.5HP

GHOST
Realism [+2]
:: In Ghost's first attack series, I think that more consideration could have been given to the fact that Ghost's wings were really likely to hit Seele somewhere and potentially throw Ghost off balance.
:: I also think the damage Ghost took in the first post could have been described a little more. I think that you took an appropriate amount of damage, but it was a little difficult to tell. You said that she was wincing every time she stepped, but she still seemed to have an easy time cantering and taking flight. Even if the wound was a little lower, I think that wing muscles pulling at the skin would cause additional bleeding or pain. Go ahead and describe that for me!
:: Again in the second post, I think that more consideration needs to be given to the length of Ghost's wings compared to where Seele would be.
:: I also would have liked to see more damage in the second post. Although Seele's magic took up quite a bit of space in your post, it doesn't really do any physical damage and I didn't feel like you really took any more damage in this post than the previous, when it should have been a little more.
:: “Aiming for the left this time, Ghost flashed her hooves towards the upper back or shoulder area of her opponent,” Not necessarily powerplay, but for the sake of caution I would have liked to see you say 'trying to aim for the left,' or something similar. I understood your intent, but clarity is always better than ambiguity.

Emotion [+1]
:: In your first post you start to describe Ghost's surprise when Seele swerves, but you sort of state it and then let it go. I would have liked to see some more time spent on that emotion, as surprise is often very strong and gives a lot of good material to work with.
:: I love imagery you offer when describing Ghost's soul being taken and I really felt connected with her confusion and blankness. More of this, please!

Prose [+3]
:: “rear leg kick for the right side Seele's rump.”
:: Saw a couple grammatical errors here and there throughout the posts, but nothing overwhelming or particularly distracting.

Readability [+2]
:: I had to reread once or twice, just a sentence or two, to figure out Ghost's exact position, but nothing too drastic.

Finally tally: 24+8= 32HP