the Rift

[OPEN] Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work we go [WALL BUILDING]

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

The main difference I have always been able to tell between tallsun and orangemoon in the desert is the temperature of the evenings. You see, the day remains more or less the same - perhaps a bit cooler, but certainly as sunny and as dusty as the days before. But the nights grow cold, with a certain dry, bitter chill brought out with the moon. I would worry for the health of my daughter, but she is growing into a lovely, strong young warrior, just as able as the name we - or, shall I say, I - gave her. I am proud of her, though she has grown distant. I have tried to give her space in order to avoid a situation like that of my older daughter, Skysong, whom I haven't seen in months. I doubt Zenobia even knows she exists.

I must admit, I have been a terrible mother. The most I can say is that I have come to terms with that fact now. The best I can offer the world is a promise for no more children - I have visited Onni and seen to that.

The best thing about one's children growing older is that they no longer require direct supervision, a process that I wish I had understood as my eldest grew and blossomed before me. Still, I can keep myself from making the same mistakes twice, if nothing else, and so I allow Zenobia the run of the Throat as I work diligently along the border. Despite the cooling air as evening falls around me and a large, full moon makes its appearance on the horizon, I feel the damp chill of sweat along my spine. Though my work is comprised of using magic and many assume that it is not necessarily hard labor, it takes its toll. All magic comes with a price, as I have learned several times over.

I am quite proud of the progress I have made thus far, and without a partner, at that. It would seem that our crafting positions are either unpopular or unlucky; I have yet to decide which. Still, I enjoy my work, and I don't mind the solitude, having spent much of my life as a loner. It was only after meeting Rowan that I had decided to find a place to call home at all, and now she was gone. I hadn't given myself the time to mourn her, fearing that I would feel a sadness so deep and so heavy that I would never recover, and so I threw myself headlong into my work. I am pleased to say that when I fly the length of the wall, it has stretched approximately halfway along our border, a far cry longer than it was when I had started working on it.

I reach for another sheet of metal with my magic and come up empty. I usually beat them out each night before I take a rest, but I feel invigorated. Something about the chill in the air has my spirits up, so instead of putting it off until morning, I decide to gather while it is cool.

Time to go metal hunting.

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Live... I want to live on fire
Die... I want to burn out brighter
Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Sikeax Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Tempatures drop and the night brings in the daily haul of twinkling skylights to ignite dreams. Restless, she turns in the grasses by the water, her body longing for a soak in the oasis. Air crisp with nipping cold that runs across her skin without much effect, she refuses. It's never a hateful refuse, coming out with regret. Winter born and snow raised, she wants snow, cold, the sounds of voices being carried across the Steppe in the lonely nights when the Northern Lights erupt with intensity beyond above heads, to be surrounded in an embrance of her season and world. There are better voices for her to go to, and what seems like a good idea from your point of view(we both know where I'm talking about), there is every reason for her to ignore and deny the existance of a home encased in mountains.
Here, the land is almost endless to north; it calls her out, and she goes without complaint. Once out of sight of the lake, her legs are ablaze with energy, stretched forward and tearing the ground beneath her to pieces. Freedom finds her and she tries to sing to herself, whispering lullabies just for her ears to hear. She's so intent on the fact that no one is ever going to find her growing body sprinting across the land like a bat out of hell, does she forget that there are many others that live with her. Though their names are blurred, a few can settle into her fertile earth that is her mind, and grow into proud trees. Tonight, they're just words.
She has never truly been along the northern border, and when she finds a wall before her halts dead and stares. Her face is pulled into knots, each pale eye staring at it while her thoughts try to figure out it exactly is. The knots are pulled apart before they can do any severe damage known as wrinkles to her face, the sound of wings meeting her ears. Within this place, there is a distinct lack of horns like herself and a great many pairs of wings. Some days in her boredom, when there was never much to do and she didn't want to go out to the Wilds to be a rogue, reckless teenager, would she wander about and admire scattered feathers left on the ground. She never touched them just because you never exactly know where they'd been.
The creator of the noise passes her by while she remains still. There doesn't seem to be much note taken to each other's presence until the filly see's moonlight catch a pale body, bringing it out for her to view. Her heart lurches along the thought of a ghost. Yes, believing in ghosts may be seen as childish, but it is only the girl's up bringing. If you never spent a long amount of time in the northern lands in Frostfall, you do not know what makes the place so different to every other place in the lands. There are things in the endless abyss of snow that aren't even real. When your eyes are clouded and heavy, what you think is a trick is actually reality. Once before, she'd heard conversation about monsters in the snow, but her most basic memory of horror in that place was the bones of a dead sea creature washed upon beaches of the northern sea. It frightened her enough to make her turn tail and return to the safety of her birth home at the Arch.
At that reminder of that, she remembers that was the last time she ever let herself go truly far north, and makes a reminder to take someone from here up there with her when the blizzards soothe their anger and to let them view the lights.
Her legs refuse to let her remain at rest, growing tail swishing back and forth at flies that aren't there. She bends and twists them with her body, turning to create a slow trot along the border. Relieving herself of excess energy would help her get to sleep whenever she decided to make it back to the water's edge. They carry her in the direction of the pale soul she watched pass by, pushing her to go and mess with someone in the night. In the end, there was a risk that ran saying she could be yelled at for such night wandering. Dare they forget she went through most of her childhood with no sunlight for months, speaking along the lines that night meant nothing to her anymore. It was night that made her fearless of what monsters roamed where she couldn't see them.
When she crosses paths with her thought ghost, it is just a mare. They stand shorter than the girl, but not by much. Height seems to be made up for in the presence of two large, white wings perched upon strong shoulder blades. Sikeax has been jealous in the past of those that could fly, but in the dark, the natural blue glow that came from her horn was a saint. Everyone knows the feeling of embarrassment that grows hot in the pit of your stomach when you stumble about, and while she was spared that feeling, having it made her uncomfortable. She knows that they don't accept her well because of her horn, some reminded of the invasions that occurred recently by the horned. She had been right there to watch them leave their mountain home when it began.
A sigh breaks any silence that haunts the cool air encasing their bodies like coffins. It rolls from her lips, lacking grace that could make mothers frown and pout. "Hello, ma'am. Are you busy, or can't sleep?" Her voice is too old for her. It plays an act like her mother had done so well at. The thought of Adrixaura makes the knots return, a frown taking her expressions before it is passed off for a more gentle style to show innocence. Her head tilts to the left, longer mane moving with it. There is distance between them, and though she is finding it difficult to break that space and approach her companion, it creates a feeling of safety. The feeling doesn't suit their situation, but no one even likes to take chances anymore.

OOC: Hope you don't mind me coming in.

If you could hear me then, can you hear me now?

Image Credits

Alina Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Alina was woken from her half-sleep by a clinking sound. She had been napping far out, near the border of the Dragon’s Throat; she couldn’t recall why, but it didn’t matter now. She opened her emerald eyes and not so far away she could see the metal wall - half finished and untouched ever since the dove arrived at the desert. She shivered a bit when she followed its length with her gaze, the wall seemed so looming, so threatening, even though it was probably meant to keep them safe. It was just the thought that there were things that had to be kept out that created a slight worry in the young mare. Though she did bear the sign that there were unfriendly horses out there; the ugly scabs from her burns were clearly visible on her chest, belly and legs.

Turning away from the wall Alina shuffled her downy wings slightly. But then she noticed the light figure standing just were the unfinished wall ended. Was someone working on the wall? Forgetting herself Alina took a swift step forwards in her curiosity. The sudden stretch of her skin caused one of the scabs to open and pain shot though the dove. It was a dull pain though; first stinging slightly and then aching. She grimaced and a low grunt escaped her, but she continued moving; however carefully.

Before she was even close enough to call out to it the white silhouette of a pegasus turned and started walking away from the wall. Alina was making slow progress and her emerald eyes watched as her person of interest crossed paths with another desert dusted horse. This one was a champagne colored unicorn and Alina’s curiosity grew. What were they up to?

Being a mare who often jumped to conclusions Alina soon made up her mind that they must be working on the wall and since she was a member of this herd she felt compelled to help. Well she wanted to help.

When she finally reached the duo she greeted them with a smile. ”Good evening sisters!” she said. ”I see you are working on the wall, is there anything I can do to help?”

Märk hur vår skugga, märk, Movitz mon frere
Inom ett mörker sig slutar
Hur guld och purpur i skoveln, den där byts till grus och klutar
Vinkar Charon från sin brusande älv
och tre gånger sen dödgrävaren själv
Mer du din druva ej kryster därföre, Movitz, kom hjälp mig och välv
Gravsten över vår syster!

fillyrox | FirenzeLotus22 | solarka-stock | Goblin-stoc | wyldraven

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
It was a strange feeling, walking back the way my feet were trained to go - to the south. But, yet, I could clearly see everything before my gaze, the leaves, the way the wind shook the vibrant green grasses that were beginning to change to a yellow. And, as I got farther and farther south, the smoothness of the sand as the moon bounced off of it.

And then, after quite a long trek, the metal wall that they had been building. It was even more awe-inspiring than I had thought it would be, and my mouth opened to form an oooo only to have it no sound emerge. Communication would be a little harder than I had expected.

Carefully, I slid back in the border, my hooves clacking against the metal of the bridges. And then, I saw a white mare, wings outstretched just enough as she lands. Her frame seeming to strain for something, but what I was not sure. Perhaps it was the metal to work on the wall? My hooves stopped, upon seeing other figures. And, with the colours of the coats beginning to confuse me I had to squeeze my eyes shut and focus upon the vibrations and seeing the world the way I had before.

My body trembled and, as I opened my eyes I could see the vibrations form around the colours. It was gorgeous, the colour added to my lines. And the winged mare at the wall was definitely Sohalia, though I cannot say I recognized anyone else. One was young, and couldn't have been older than a year. They all speak, and I feel my throat strain in desire to join the conversation. So, cautiously, I step forward again, my legs stretching out farther in a desire to catch up to Sohalia. I would help her as much as I could - I had decided that a long time ago.

A gentle smile lifted my lips before I opened my mouth to speak, Sohalia, darling. What can I do? At least, I wanted to say those words, but none would come out.

Oh well. She would understand, wouldn't she?

R
take another breathe
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
There was an old saying that a woman’s tongue would often waggle away the hours and turn night into day much quicker than time itself could wiggle free. I’d been blessed with the evening shift—which meant that we (myself and Fina) would be flying through this evening, and into the wee morning hours. The border was expectantly quiet, no alarming disturbances these past few weeks. Though I hadn’t been worried about discontent when Kri vanished, we had more friends than enemies in Helovia; or at least one liked to think they did. Still, our guard remained vigilant; Guacho and myself tried to keep tight rein over the ongoings in our herd. Still, things happened.

One such ongoing was the wall and a certain hoard of lasses that seemed to be flocking alongside. I flew over and landed close by with a grumpy phoenix in tow. A tired but pleasant smile formed in place of an otherwise calm façade. “Good eve dear sisters,” I called, my gaze shifting to Sohalia first. She was after all our one and only Forger, a Forger that I hadn’t seen in a while; though her work on the wall was showing progress, “How goes the job Sohalia? Ye seems to have found some willing help?” The corners of my lips only widen gently as golden pools land favorably upon Rasta, and the two others who had gathered. It would take much work to yet finish our wall, I’d heard rumor that our Edge brothers and sisters had already completed theirs. We had some catching up to do.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

SOHALIA

Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but I would be the first to tell you that I am not the most social of creatures. It is because of my background - I wandered alone for most of my life, so I am not used to being expected to interact with others. It has always been easier to slip through the shadows, unnoticed and untouched, avoiding the fear of placing myself into danger again. Mother and Father, after all, stayed among friends and allies, and they were still murdered brutally. I was left alone, and for a long time, it seemed that I was better off that way. It has only been since arriving in Helovia - no, not just in Helovia, since arriving in the Dragon's Throat - that I have come to understand that one can be safe, and even happy, in a herd.

Still, as individuals slowly come to greet me and offer their assistance, I am a bit taken aback. I am giving my all to protect them, as I should do and as I want to do, but I never expected them to come and offer their help. I never expected to hold such a place in the herd. I never expected responsibility. I never expected anything that has come to pass in my time here, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

A young filly is the first to arrive, a light amber color that reminds me of my darling Skysong. A slight twinge of the heart takes my breath away, pain clouding my gaze for a moment, but I look away and take a breath, and the feeling leaves, hidden forever in the darkest recesses of my mind. "A bit of both, youngling," I respond to the flicka's question with a heartfelt smile. "My name is Sohalia. I am the Forger of the Throat, and so this wall is my responsibility. I just so happen to enjoy working on it, even at night." The young fae stands a bit far from me, so I take a step forward. Something about her reminds me of myself when I was young and alone.

I am interrupted in my assessment of the youngling by a cheerful, ringing call of greeting. Turning, astonished to see yet another out so late, I see a pretty, ivory pegasus approaching. She, too, earns a sweet smile, though I glance again to the yet unnamed flicka, kindness in my gaze. "Good evening," I respond. "I am sure I can find something for you to do, sister," I say, noticing more movement behind her, "but I believe I will wait until there are no more new arrivals." There is amusement in my tones now, as I am still trying to understand why there are so many where there is normally just me.

The newcomer is Rasta, and I am relieved to see someone that I know. She is not quite herself, though, for though she steps forward with a smile, no words leave her lips. I frown slightly, worried creases appearing where there is usually only smooth flesh, but I am sure she is here to help. After all, she is technically under my supervision. So with another concerned glance, I turn to greet the final arrival - Midas himself. I nod deeply and respectfully to our gentle Sultan, offering a genuine smile. Though I haven't had time to get to know him as well I I would like, I have found him to be kind and fatherly to all that he speaks with, for all he may call us sisters.

"Good evening, Sultan," I say. "I do seem to have several volunteers. I have just run out of ore," I inform the group at large, my gaze flickering around the little circle to include them all now, "and I was about to go find more. It's a bit easier to try and find the metal closer to the surface than it is to turn to magic for every little thing; it gets very draining," I add for explanation. "I have found that there is quite a bit lying around a way down the wall, closer to the sea. Shall we?" With that, I turn to lead the way down the line of the wall, sharing a brief touch with Rasta and attempting to place myself so that all can speak freely amongst themselves. "What brings all of you out here so late?"

"talk talk talk"
@[name]

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
A group strolling through the desert was a sight to behold- both as unusual as it seemed hard to avoid.

Of late, the young Oracle had found little sleep while the bulk of her swelling herd took the rest they ought. Late at night, she found solace from the self-inflicted loneliness stewing through her core, by the crackling glow of the fire she had been appointed to tend. It had become something of a friend that she often confided in; revealing to the dancing, greedy flames (perhaps her Lord, the Sun God himself) the darkest of her secrets and those thoughts which troubled her most. It felt good to clear her mind, but all the while her heart still rotted with the wrongdoings she had done to this family.

With Silas’ slight weight nestled against the slope of her back, Africa set off towards the vague thrum of surging ocean- a short journey that she had made now each night that the moon had glowed so fiercely. The nights had cooled considerably and moisture clung to the breeze which lifted from the sea beyond; it was a relaxing time, when obscurity and isolation granted her some perverted sense of peace. Only once thus far had another been roaming the beach, and the chance meeting had stirred such strange curiosities in her mind- perhaps not so much the flail or her weakened heart, which had been both unsettling and intriguing.

It was the upset croak of her bonded’s sharp voice which pulled Africa from the fog of her ever-churning thoughts, and her eyes lifted quickly to scan the near area for the movement he had noticed. Indeed company loomed not far ahead; a group of horses which from the small distance and despite the moon’s steady light, she could not quite confirm to be members of the Throat. With a fluttering heart, full of sudden dread, the Oracle probed the thoughts of her Zephyr companion- his keen eyes were so valuable through these hours when her own sight fell short. “Friends...” He offered, the beat of his own pulse unruffled by the company which neared. His neck was craning so that his beady black eyes could scout their midst, and with a softly victorious caw, he continued with some difficulty to try to ease her nerves. “Leader... dove.”

Africa was not certain who her thoughtful bonded referred to as dove, but she realised quickly that Midas was part of the gathering- with little time to spare between the enlightenment and them descending upon her position, the one-winged mare composed herself and dressed faintly her expression with a smile, both curious and surprised. "Sohalia!" She cooed through the soft ripple of wind as the familiar white mare’s face became more apparent- she needed not the art of pretending right then as genuine shock spread her lashes wide apart. "I haven’t seen you for a long time friend. What a pleasure it is." It was true that their paths had not crossed perhaps since the now Forger, had filled her yearning with a multitude of information and understandings.
Africa, though with a sketchy memory anyway since her Basin trauma, was satisfied that they had not recently been in contact. She cast a inquiring eye across the group surrounding- Midas indeed was there, as was Alina the dove, Sikeax and the pale, creamy mare Rasta who had spoken so boldly during the latest meeting. A delicate smile was offered quietly to each before she spoke. "What are you all doing wandering at this late hour?" For the moment the Oracle had forgotten her plague of turmoil, but it haunted the hollows of her still kindly eyes, darkening their perimeter along with that lack of sleep.

Africa

Alina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
[I don't know if it is my turn, if I am being rude please tell me :)]

Alina nodded as Sohalia spoke. She very much wanted to help even though she couldn’t move very well. She couldn’t lift, or drag or dig, but surely there must be some job for her?

She greeted the other, a young mare, with a smile and then suddenly a few more new faces joined the trio which quickly became a group. A pale mare, sharing Alina’s body type, joined and the dove acknowledged her with a nod of her head. ”Alina.” she introduced herself to the stranger with a warm smile.

Then Midas appeared and recognition glittered in the dove’s emerald eyes. ”Good evening, Milord.” she smiled at the painted sultan and bowed her head.

Sohalia spoke then and the dove turned her attention to the white pegasus. However the cremello girl’s smile disappeared as she heard the word “sea”. Her mouth became dry and her heart started racing, but as all of the gathered horses began moving she found herself following them. Her walking was stiff, not only because of her wounds, and she stared straight ahead with an expression of fear in her pale face. She sure hoped that they wouldn’t go all the way to the ocean, she had no desire to see those waves.

Suddenly Alina caught sight of a gray shape drawing nearer; a gray shape accompanied by a zephyr. Africa and Silas! The dove’s heart became lighter and the smile returned to her lips. She waited until the dappled mare had greeted Sohalia and then she said: ”I am happy to see you again Lady Africa, how is Dust doing?”

Märk hur vår skugga, märk, Movitz mon frere
Inom ett mörker sig slutar
Hur guld och purpur i skoveln, den där byts till grus och klutar
Vinkar Charon från sin brusande älv
och tre gånger sen dödgrävaren själv
Mer du din druva ej kryster därföre, Movitz, kom hjälp mig och välv
Gravsten över vår syster!

fillyrox | FirenzeLotus22 | solarka-stock | Goblin-stoc | wyldraven

SOHALIA

I walk along, truly at ease. It has taken a long time, but I feel that I have finally found my place in life. I am not a good mate. I am not a good mother. But I am a good crafter. I am good at serving for the greater good. Perhaps a job is all I needed all along. I fall into place beside Alina, who seems ill at ease. "Are you alright, my dear?" I ask softly, the chatter of various others filling the night air around me. But before I get an answer, she brightens, and I lift my gaze to see an old friend approaching. I admit, it has been some time since I have seen Africa, but I remember her fondly all the same.

I am not prepared to see her without her wing, for though I have heard the stories, I have yet to make a trip to visit our Oracle. I am immediately ashamed for not having paid her a visit, but I know that she, of all of them, would understand. She, too, has been called by the gods, even more so than I; she knows that there are more important things than social calls. "Africa!" I greet her warmly, a smile spreading across my maw. "It's wonderful to see you." The Oracle asks what keeps them up this night, and the Forger nods slightly, almost to herself.

"I often stay awake into the night; tonight, I simply have company." I toss my head, indicating my acquaintances. "We are off to find more metal for the wall. I'm afraid I've run out of scraps." I notice, for the first time, that a small, bird-like creature has followed Africa to our little gathering. "You have a lovely zephyr now, I see," I offer, continuing to walk toward the beach, where the metal might be closer to the surface.

"talk talk talk"
@[name]