the Rift

Forget-me-not

Fig Posts: 57
Up For Adoption atk: 3.5 | def: 5.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 :: 20 HP: 56 | Buff: NOVICE
Beluga :: Common Beluga Leviathan :: Bubble Trap Adoptable

By the light of the barefaced moon, one tree; a sapling between giants, slipped by the rough wood of strangers and respectfully branches brushed together and mingled, the language of such an old forest rich with culture. All the while a fresh autumn breeze strolled among them, rustling flimsy leaves playfully as it went, promising the swift return of snow, of ice and significantly shortened days. The trees all around shuddered and trembled as they stood; each curling the tips of their roots objectionably, and shaking hastily their browning canopies. The young body plant nestled safely in the dip of a young filly’s back waved and danced to the silent rhythm of the wind, untouched by seasonal shifts so feared by her kind. She was nursed well, and carried from woodland to rainforest; wherever their souls could find harmony.

Fig’s retiring gaze wandered meekly down each of the unfamiliar forest’s funnelling corridors. She was uncertain where they had come, but sure that the old pines surrounding (and the rogue oaks who shared their beds) would offer little protection when winder finally fell upon this land. Her body plant swayed restlessly, the lag of the elements pulling at still delicate limbs who would not withstand anything wilder. She had been drawn in by the fresh stench of pine; the comfort of decomposition and promise of shelter, but her senses had led her astray; the wind had turned teasingly and now carried from the north only hints of moisture and snow. That certainly would not suit their needs at all.

She turned south, compelled to move further from the biting wind and all that it heralded, travelling with the casual, gradual slowness that was natural for her kin. Fig tried earnestly to avoid the beaten track which curled frequently across her path, but she was so unused to these parts; the open space and lack of vegetation, that she found its company time and time again. She was not a social creature; the Lignea were not a communal species, and she froze often, with baited breath when the shadowy form of another slipped past nearby. With searching nostrils she tried endlessly to determine their route; the direction which would find them descending into the depths of a vast forest, tropical or not- so long as she could conceal herself and her body plant from the wicked eyes of this new alien population, they could survive.

[Note: Fig is only a yearling, so far younger still than her picture suggests (I just love her picture though ;)]

fig
table and picture by Laine <3
Plots | Absences | Wishlist
Please tag me in openers and spars
Permission for all except death 
(no need to ask)

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
Another day dawned, another day for the girl to make her way to the Threshold, to find a new friend, to bring home someone new to the Edge. She was busy here, finding recruiting, bringing home and settling in newcomers as quickly as she could gather them. New members were the life of the herd, and Kahlua was doing her best to bring a lost soul home as often as she could. Of course, so many that she brought home left just as soon. Where they went was beyond the girl, perhaps back to their homelands where they came? The thought made her frown, shake her head, sigh. How many had she lost? How many had she introduced to the woods only to see never again? It was unfortunate, disheartening to a less simple soul, but the girl toiled on, because she wanted to be the best.

She was Glazier, of course, certainly nothing wrong with the pursuit, but there was always more favor from leaders to be won, more respect to be had. For once in her life, the girl was finally respected. She had been the laughing stock in Avalon, a princess with not enough time on her hands doing her best to seduce any man who would fall for her wild charms, trying to become a queen through trickery and false promises of love. But here it was different, she didn't have to flaunt her body. She had found work, something to keep her occupied.... and she was good at it!

Her bouncy trot took her into the forest, blue eyes searching eagerly for a fresh new face to call her own. On occasion she saw someone of another herd that she knew, whinnying out a welcome sound, but never stopping. They were all here for a reason- there was no time for idle chat (though the girl really wouldn't have minded all too much). Then something caught her eye, a movement through the trees, and the girl slowed to a walk to see what exactly it was.

At first the girl thought it was trickery, an illusion of this strange forest, but it seemed to her that there was a tree that was moving. Not the gentle swaying of the boughs above caused by the wind, but actually moving, walking through the forest. Her eyes narrowed, head shaking, but the illusion did not vanish. And then the girl realized that there was a body attacked to the tree. Her heart almost broke and she quickly tried to get closer to the filly, even disregarding the fact that she was not especially fond of foals.

“OH! You poor thing!” Kahlua's dancing soprano fell out with genuine concern laced through her voice, the girl's eyes becoming moist at the terrible trouble the filly was in. “I was cursed too once. Oh! But nothing so bad at this, it was only mushrooms, and OH! I'm so sorry!” And the girl rambled on a little bit longer, rushing through the story of how she had been cursed by some wicked vulture that had made her wear mushrooms on her rump, but how Alysanne had saved her. “But then Aly told me to stand under the sun, because mushrooms hate being dry, and they went away and it worked!” And for a second she hesitated, wondering if plants were the same as mushrooms, but continuing on without ever finding an answer. “Maybe standing in the sun would work for you too!” Her was was still full of concern as she inspected the tree on the mare's back, eyes still moist as she thought about how terrible the day of her curse had been.

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Again she fell motionless, breath held tightly within clenched lungs, waiting; while soft green eyes traced the slim dark shadow of a horse moving through the trees ahead. I must be brave now... She thought, trembling and silent as she fought internally to adhere to the resonating breath of her mother’s sweet voice.

‘The elders have spoken youngling; you must seek your soul plant now and defend it.’

“But mother, the elders have taught us to hide, to never leave Prim'sylvia because there are creatures who feed upon our body. Why now have their minds changed?”

‘Our Lord Nepenthes has delivered to them a solemn warning, and heed his call you must. Strange folk live where it is whispered that your seed has sprouted; the summer squall has carried our spawn far now, and if you are to survive you must find where it grows. You are a blessing to the Lignea child. You have been chosen by Corocottas to learn and understand his brood on earth, to teach the animals how to respect and nurture our kind; the beloved flora. You are a harmonic peace keeper.’

“I understand mother, but how will I know where to go?”

‘Follow your heart dear one; have faith in the strength of your bond. The elders speak of a land known as Helovia- two of our tree folk have been sent there before you, Willow and Birch. Find them if you can.’

“I will mother!”

‘Pray often my little Fig; may Nepenthes be with you to guard you and guide you. It is time for to leave us now. Good bye my child, remember all that you have learned, good bye!’

The figure had seen Fig already, turned and was walking swiftly towards where she stood unmoving, and the young Lignea staggered backwards timorously as the stranger arrived before her in a whirl of wind, and peace-shattering vocals. The sapling fig whose roots sprawled across the length of her back to drape languidly by the flinch of gangly, though quite sturdy limbs began to quiver above her, reflecting the trepidation which swamped the young filly’s expression.

She could not understand the flood of concern; the tumble of pitying words which spilt into the cool atmosphere around them, and found herself filling with dreadful fear, pluming confusion, for the situation which she had so unexpectedly fallen into. No pain nor discomfort, save for the overwhelming manner of this creature, offered insight into the nature of the predicament and she could only watch in bewilderment, as her waving ears guzzled all that was hurled.

Confusion turned to horror at the mention of the mushrooms- a curse, but still more that they had been forced to shrivel and perish beneath the glare of their most feared element, the sun, and Fig gasped dismally. “Oh, no!” Her head was tossing gently like the young wind-touched twigs forming her still flimsy canopy. “That is a terrible fate.” Fig was astonished too that the language of this alien was comprehensible, though for the moment she wished awfully that it had not been so.

“Why would you scorch such helpless creatures? They breath and suffer just as any animal could.” Quietly she asked the strange beast, and the question was as genuine as the troubled lines of her blazed face. Her voice was as smooth and light as the gust engulfing them, though pained was the gentleness of her tone. ‘Nepenthes, please give me courage,’ she asked in silent prayer. ‘I fear my task here is greater than the elders foresaw.’ Although her assignment seemed now to be fraught and perilous, Fig knew in the depths of her core that her soul plant- wherever it hid, was so far unharmed.

fig
(no need to ask)

Poor Kahlua. All she wanted to do was help and the young tree-laden horse was stumbling backwards, away from her, apparently afraid of the painted girl, though Kahlua couldn't imagine why. Of all the things in Helovia, she was probably the least scary one out there. Well, at least in her mind. She had met plenty things more frightening, not the least of which was the vulture she had told the filly about. But there was also Ricochet, the darkness of the endless night, the mysterious Midas double, the unicorn that had attacked during the invasion, the leaders of the Basin... the list went on and on. And the filly was backing away from her, of all things. Kahlua tried a smile, to see if it helped.

Oh, no! That is a terrible fate,” the filly offered and Kahlua nodded sagely, in full understanding. Wearing mushrooms was, in fact, one of the worst things that could ever happen to a horse and Kahlua knew the horror all too well. And now she had this filly here to share her troubles with. Even if the tree-mare was young, which was somewhat of a frustration to the overo, she clearly understood the unfortunate side-effects of having a tree upon your back, where it most certainly did not belong. Or did she?

As Fig continued on, Kahlua's smile dropped a little, mostly for confusion. Wait? She was to blame? The mushrooms took breath and suffered? Now she was thoroughly misunderstanding. Her blue eyes looked for Fig's beneath her mass of forelock. Was the girl playing some sort of trick on her, trying to fool Kahlua so that she could then turn her words around and cast jokes or scorn onto the painted girl? Kahlua tilted her head, her brain firing but little going on inside. Try as she might to understand, she simply could not wrap her head around what was going on.

At least, in her confusion, her watery eyes had dried so she did not look quite so helpless. “Wait... I don't understand...” As if her face hadn't said it all. “The mushrooms were on my hips and back... They weren't supposed to be there...” But she soon enough trailed off into nothingness, brow furrowing on her head as she tried even harder to make some sense of this. “You want that tree there?” She flicked her tail, snaking her neck around to the right and trying to get a better look at it, curiosity beginning to get the better of her. What was going on here?

Retiring eyes were reflected the confusion leaking from the watery-blue pools of the alien mare; she was equally unused to such a creature which presented so shamelessly; so naked and ignorant. Her kin were both wise and modest folk who went about their business in gradual procession without the need for flurries of words and hyper activity; certainly they did not ordinarily seek strangers to their midst without solid justification. Fig’s journey was unusual though, and she fronted a mask of flimsy bravery to meet the casual production of this mare- genuine the other did appear, though increasingly bewildered. It had not been the intention of the tree laden filly to reproach the black and white soul; nor to frighten, or to displace the enviable confidence which had ricocheted off each note in her voice.

The downy black filly rocked beneath the weight of her Body-Plant, discomforted, and more so discouraged by the direction of this; her first meeting with the creatures of the brave new world. Above, thin wiry branches swayed and danced in playful oblivion as their defender struggled on. It did not occur to Fig that the mushrooms made reference too could not have belonged- but as she paused to consider more thoroughly on the details given, it occurred that though the fungi had perished, their host had not. Instead of adding mortar to the confusion of realities and concepts dangling before the two, she chose to begin again- the way she had practiced during the long journey from her beloved motherland.

“My name is Fig and I have come a long way from the forests of Prim'sylvia.” She paused then, lifting her soft green gaze to find any form of understanding in the wilted expression of her company. “I have been sent by the elders of my home to find Helovia... The world trailed away with her waning voice then, unwilling to reveal the true nature and purpose of this venture.
... there are creatures who feed upon our body, she remembered with a vicious shudder, and she felt a sudden longing to find the young, defenceless tree which lay somewhere beyond her protection. “No, if harm were to find the tree rooted upon my back, I would surely suffer the same fate.” She smiled hopefully then; the optimistic gesture of peace, and asked with her family Birch and Willow in the back of her mind, “Have you not seen Lignea, my kind before?”

fig
(no need to ask)

If Kahlua had felt like thinking, if the girl had been capable of thinking, she would have stopped to wonder at the mystery of the mare that wanted the trees upon her back. Perhaps she would have wondered how the two came to attached to one another, wondered how their physical connection served one another, and other such thoughts. But the poor girl was so caught up in her own mysteries and memories of the mushrooms on her rump, the vulture thing that had placed them there, the frightening woods and corn maze that she fought through in the first place. The terrible part of it is that the girl was missing out on so much, if only she would use her brain to think. The gods are not always kind.

But then it seemed that things started anew. The filly gave her name and Kahlua couldn't help but smile. Fig. It was pretty. Kahlua repeated it as she always did. The connection between the mare's name and her tree was not made, though perhaps with a little more thought Kahlua could have managed this simple task. As for Prim'sylvia, the girl had obviously never heard of it before but she nodded her head in acknowledgment, at the very least. “I'm Kahlua,” she offered then with a genuine smile, “Of the World's Edge.”

As the rest of the mare's story unfolded, Kahlua tried to search her brain for any memory of a horse walking around with a tree on their back. But try as she may, no memory came. She herself was the only other horse she had known to grow plant life, and that topic hadn't exactly worked so well in this situation. Honestly, she was more fixated on the fact that there were more. “You've made it to Helovia, but I haven't seen any others...” she trailed off for a moment, the usually social girl at a sudden loss for what she was supposed to say next. After a short pause, she managed to stutter some words out. “You um... You might like it at the Edge, if you wanted. There are lots of trees.” Finally her eyes brightened. If there was anything she was good at talking about, it was the Edge.

The name of this patchwork mare; a creature whose coat blended the starkness of daylight with the sombre mood of night, into a beautifully sleek blanket, sounded exotic, unlike any tree, shrub or other flora the young Lignea could think of. She stewed for some time, wondering about the simplicity of mind represented by this mare and whether all of these Helovians were as mild-natured and basic-minded. Surely the warnings imposed by her mother, and most all of the lessons passed down through her kin were not so daft as to have this race mistaken. A light smile crossed thick, pale-stained lips as watchful eyes, meek and curious, fussed across the still somewhat puzzled features of her company- those which had offered in turn a seemingly sincere curl of their own.

“Oh yes!” The filly sang softly- a humble attempt to appease the other and form some kind of bridge between them. If nothing else, Fig had not the slightest clue where she needed to search for her hidden Soul-Plant, and the Edge of the World seemed as original as any other point to start from. She nodded in unison with her unusually charismatic consent, the green accented curtain of heavy black mane rocking slothfully athwart the steadied shine of her intelligent gaze. Trying to prop-up Kahlua’s waning buoyancy, interest, and thus perhaps form some sort of fresh foundation to build upon, Fig added for the sake of the situation’s frailty- “I do adore trees.” It seemed appropriate to feed the ego which might in turn be of some benefit when the time came.

“Kahlua?” The hybrid’s throat was parched and her the empty void of her unusual stomach too craved the replenishment of fresh fluid. “Thank you for your help. I don’t suppose your home has fresh water as well?” Fig could not have guessed that the horse too drank to survive; all she gathered was that for trees to grow and flourish some form of sustenance had to be available for them. All in all, the signs were positive and the traveller was more than keen to be rid of the rough pines which creaked and groaned with each funnel of wind through their midst.

fig
(no need to ask)

Finally, the two seemed to have found some common ground. Having gotten past Kahlua's innocent crash-landing into the filly's life, the two seemed jovial enough, in a way that would make them good candidates for being friends. If only the filly was older.... At least, she looked young still. Who was to say, with her being a tree-bearing creature, though. Maybe they always looked young, even when they were old? The simple minded girl didn't foray too much into this thought. At the very least, the filly seemed fairly self-sufficient, and that was Kahlua's main problem with foals. They always wanted.... something. Or needed something, which was even worse. It was hard to live the life of a social butterfly with a child attached at your hip. Perhaps someday she would hear the call of motherhood, but she hoped to high heavens that she would not.

I do adore trees. Anybody but Kahlua might have noticed the, perhaps, semi-mocking nature of the words. The painted girl only grinned. All in all, Kahlua was becoming more comfortable with the idea of the tree on the filly's back. And, though it looked sort of odd, it was actually kind of endearing in a way. It made the little filly, Fig, unique. Maybe the tree would even give her extra strength, make her grow up faster? For this, the mare hoped.

“Oh, sure, there's water!” And she thought for a moment, the well-worn path that she took from Threshold to home playing in her mind. “There's a stream on the way too,” and then she rattled on for a few moments telling some story about how she liked to skate on it when the water was frozen. She left out the part where Illynx attacked her. More nonsense. She was pretty good at it. “Do you want to go see?” But then, she didn't wait too long for an answer, either. She took off at a jaunty, bouncing trot through the trees, sparing only a glancing look backwards to see if the fig-mare was following her. Old habits die hard.