the Rift

it'll be a long time comin'

Rhanna Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

She was in a good mood today.

Well, “good” when it came to Rhanna, was a pretty relative term. Now, however, she was satisfied, even relaxed, as she crashed her way through the valley’s thick forest. The great black mare didn’t pay much mind to how much noise she made or what she was trampling underfoot; she left a clear trail in her wake. Her direction was anything but decided upon, if she came to an obstacle she couldn’t easily walk over, she turned and took another path, simple as that. She hadn’t had to deal with any other creature all day and it had done wonders for her disposition. Actually, she hadn’t met another equine (or equine derivative) for several weeks. She’d been wandering over the mountains on the edge of this region for weeks, no particular goal in mind besides her own fleeting entertainments. With the coming of Organgemoon, however, the chilled north winds had caused her to descend into the foothills and this very forest. She wasn’t to much bothered by the chill in the air, but she found herself at lower altitudes all the same.

Her isolation had begun several months before. Since leaving the land of her birth The filthy wretched place… she’d rarely stayed in any singular place for more than two seasons. Rhanna wasn’t to interested in planting roots, and anytime she’d gotten what she needed from a place she was up and off again. No point in forming attachments. This most recent time, she’d picked up and left out of sheer annoyance; the herd she’d been hanging around had had in influx of new foals who were far to whiney and needy for Rhanna’s taste, and those silly little mare had thought she might actually help them with the little snots? The giantess laughed to herself, what presumption!

So she’d wandered for the warm months of the year, over hill and through forest and here is where she found herself. Not looking to meet anyone else, per say, but though isolation had its advantages, the giantess was beginning to feel that she could do with the entertainment that others invariably provided. Rhanna wondered what fort of creatures would she find in this unfamiliar land. If she was lucky, there’d be only equines here; those horned goat and winged skyrats were so unnatural, thought themselves so far above the rest. Rhanna couldn’t abide by magic, or at least that is what she had convinced herself to believe over the years.

-lainespeak-
Tags: @[Ricochet]
Notes: -gratuitous intro poste lameitude-

define your meaning of war
to me it's what we do when we're bored

Ricochet the Incendiary Posts: 133
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.2 hands :: 5 years Buff: BULK
Blu

He came from the south, muscles warm beneath the wooliness of his rapidly growing winter coat, breath steaming in the air. The paths of the Threshold had become more familiar to him in this last season than ever before, and he moved along the well-worn, meandering trails with ease, but never failing to remain cautious. Not only did the weary-footed traveler wander here, but the vagabonds and outcasts, wickeder beings ousted from their former herds. Ricochet was confident in his ability to fight off any ragged villains who might crawl in like vermin, but there was no point in being downright reckless.

The daylight was weak and cold, filtering in through the russet and gold leaves of birch and aspen and poplar. Ricochet did not mind the chill; autumn was a good season. The days were going shorter, yes, and the grass tasted bitter as the dying. On the other hoof, the twittering birds flocked away, the stallions were less likely to pick fights, and those entering the Threshold were more desperate for the safety of a family, knowing that winter was scarcely more than a few months’ away, and always creeping closer.

Guns led the way.
Ricochet followed.

It soon became clear whoever they were following had little interest in covering her- or his- trail. Twigs shattered, branches snapped off trees, leaves crunched and crackled. A set of hoofprints was left in drying mud- massive feet, this horse had, pressed deep into the soaked black soil. Not cleft either. Still, he didn’t dare get his hopes up. Pegasi could have solid hooves, or even unicorns. It wasn’t particularly rare.

The collie was silent as a mouse, drawing one paw after another carefully, brown eyes focused on something up ahead. With a twinge of apprehension, the Incendiary lengthened his step, teal eyes narrowing. There! Swinging black hindquarters, wide ebon hips that were feminine despite the bulk. Feathers, clotted with dust and dirt, swung about flowing fetlocks. She- for those voluptuous curves screamed she- was at least three hands taller than Ricochet. And her color… black on black on black. Thick black mane. Lush black tail. Gleaming black coat.

By now, she must’ve heard him, noticed him. The buttermilk boy halts, scuffing up dust with his forehooves, audits flicking forward curiously. It wasn’t every day he met a giant giantess. There was Archibald, the great fat lump, or the dragon-horse he had seen long ago when he invaded the Edge, full of rage and passion that he had expended on a cause he didn’t care for.

“Mare,” he rumbles, his voice a gritty growl not unlike his dog. “I am Ricochet the Incendiary. This is my dog, Guns. Who are you?”

R I C O C H E T - -
blam, you're dead

HP: 49.5
We want you for the Equine Empire.

Unregistered

Rhanna’s nostrils flared, pulling in the scents of the two new creatures. The breeze was mild, the close trees kept it cut down to a minimum, but it was strong enough to bring the scents up from behind her. One she could easily identify, another equine, surely, and… male. The second was far less familiar. Wolf, she thought at first, but no…that wasn’t quite it. She continued on her path, maybe slowing her pace a little, and waited for them to catch up. She was in need of some entertainment, and surely one horse couldn’t be any threat to her, so why not?

She heard the quiets beat of hooves behind her first, and a much quieter rustle of small paws through fallen leaves. Her two black spires swiveled on her heavy crown, pointing behind her to listen to her visitors. The two creatures must have been close behind her now, but Rhanna, the supremely unconcerned, kept moving forward with a half smile on her face, did they think to sneak up on me?

She meandered to a halt when she heard the gritty voice of the stallion behind her, ”Mare," he says, which might have been a bit rude, granted, but Rhanna hardly minded. She liked when others got to the point. As he continued his greeting, her neck curled back, bringing the creeping dog into view first. Her ears turned forward curiously and she lingered on the small creature. Not a wolf then, far to small. And from the looks of it, far more mildly tempered. Her gaze flicked up to the dun stallion as he finished his little speech and her body followed her head around, turning slowly to face him. She picked up her heavy hooves again, advancing forward just a few paces, all ease and nonchalance.

She considered him a few moments, amused by his little title. Interesting, she wondered what exactly he’d done to earn it, or perhaps he’s doing a bit of up-jumping. His face caught her eye, the scars stretched across it looked like they’d been put there by fire, maybe the title was his own ironic little joke. She liked his voice though, gritty and low, definitely interesting. ”Positively peachy to meet you, Ricochet, and your little dog, too.” Her voice was low for one of her sex, and her words came out in a drawl that was amiable even if it was a little teasing. “Name’s Rhanna, darlin'. Though you should know it’s very rude to sneak up on a lady like that. Now tell me Ricochet, what exactly have you been setting aflame? All the little girl‘s hearts?

Deceased
Blu

The sleek ebon mare drifts to a halt, the arc of her neck sharp and dark against the cracked bark of the trees, legs turning over one another as she rolls on her haunches to face them. Ricochet sees her eyes, dark and bold, lush lashes sweeping over shadowy depths; the dust coating chipped hooves, the glisten of the sunlight on her travel-worn coat. There is silence between them as she wanders deliberately toward him, striding lazily closer, and he lets it sit, heavy and grim in the air.

The black mare’s eyes remind the Incendiary of raven eyes, clever and sharp and missing nothing, studying him with a single-minded intensity that has him stiffen, turning soft contours into taut lines. In their quiet, he returns her gaze, with wolf eyes, all teal hardness, a smile carving wrinkles on his muzzle.

Guns drifts from Ricochet’s feet, lying at the gnarled roots of a gnarled tree, watching them with his bright eyes. From his outsider’s view, he studies them with a wordless intensity. The buttermilk boy leans forward ever so slightly, a subtle attempt of authority, though he never moves. He’s a commanding presence, all rippling muscle beneath his silken coat, and the border collie remembers the child he once was. There is not so much of that volatile colt anymore. A new side of Ricochet sparkles in the right light.
Guns wasn’t sure if this side was a good one.

Their face-off is interrupted by her languid voice, turning each word into an individual saying. Her voice is deep and rich and heavy; he has heard stallions with higher-pitched voices than hers. For a moment the dunskin considers her weighty words, spoken as if each has a higher meaning. Is she teasing him? At least she does not mock him with his scars and burns. He had always considered them a mark of his warrior status, a memento of his victories and defeats, the lessons he had learned with gore dripping from his wounds and blood sizzling in his blisters- since he had begun his forays in the Threshold, he had been met by plenty of mares who wrinkled their brow and scorned his greetings.

“Might be that he’s little, but that doesn’t mean he’s useless,” Ricochet answers with a grin, an unpracticed sort of smile but a nice enough one nonetheless; perfect for lightening the grim mood, like a sun coming out from behind bruised gray clouds. Over the seasons, he had tried several different approaches to greeting travelers: seductive, gruff, outgoing, helpful. It was best to try and be natural, he had found, treating them as potential friend rather than future enemy. Eventually, the shadows showed through the paint he had over their eyes, but he never let his temper get better of him the way it once had.

A laugh tears free from his chest like a bird fluttering from its cage, carrying freedom on it at Rhanna’s teasing. It’s good to let it fly. Too often his lungs press against his ribcage and his heart is heavy and his stomach is sunk.

“I wasn’t sneaking up on you- didn’t you notice me long ago?” The Incendiary says lightly, ears flicked forward attentively. The hardness in his teal eyes have melted away, replaced by a good-natured gleam, though Evangeline flashes across his mind. It was strange… since he had had his fucking with Colt’s mother, he had, for most part, put the chestnut out of his head, but occasionally something came up that just rang with the memories of her.

“I’m afraid I don’t have too much luck with the girls,” Ricochet snorts, “I like to set other things on fire. Unfortunately, I don’t offer that information up for free.” He offers her a smile to take the elitist sting out of his words.

“What I can tell you is that you’re in Helovia. There are a few herds I could take you to, if you plan on staying. The herds, for most part, believe that all species are equal. However, if you don’t wish to join a place like that, I lead an outcast band myself. Only those of the equine race may belong with us.”

R I C O C H E T - -
blam, you're dead

Unregistered

Scars were odd things. They didn’t fad and they could not be wiped clean, they past always brought into the present. They hinted at so many stories, and yet they could be misleading, marks of bravery and cunning escapes, or marks of foolishness and overconfidence. The dun colored stallion before her definitely had his share and they intrigued Rhanna, but they couldn’t tell her the whole story. So far in her life, she’d managed to avoid them, save for a few crescent shaped ones along her withers. Her size and brazen manner were enough to deter most, and she’d never gone looking for a fight.

The stallion’s posture told her a great deal more than his scars. Well muscled and sleek, even under his thickening coat, he carried himself like a commander. His stance was solid and his gave direct. She could see the hardness in his eyes, warrior’s eyes. If anything at all, she was attracted to confidence, and this stallion simply oozed with it. She wouldn’t be so easily swayed, however, eventually he’d have to put his money where his mouth was.

The midnight mare’s eyes followed the dog as it edged from its master, flicking back when the later began to speak. Well, looks like they boy’s got a sense of humor. Rhanna thought with some satisfaction as he let out a laugh. It sounded oddly unpracticed, like he didn’t loose it very often, and she returned his wry smile. “I suppose I did notice you, you’ll forgive a girl for trying to be coy.”

Her eyes sharpened at his next string of words, ”…I like to set other things on fire…” Though he ended with a smile there was still something there. Her eye’s narrowed at the words, a though the giantess was trying to see into his thoughts. It was something that might have even been a little sinister, but it piqued the mare’s interest, that was for certain. The last part of his speech held a few more interesting nuggets of knowledge as well. He seemed to share her distaste for the other races, and that had been rare for her to encounter.

“Well, I’m not exactly sure if herd-life agrees with me, gets a bit sticky after a while, don’t you think? And even if I did, I wouldn’t really need you to take me anywhere, darlin.” Her tone was still a bit sardonic, but her expression was free of disdain. “I’ll give you some credit though, for keeping that flashy filth out of your ranks. I can’t stomach those unnatural beasts.” She could feel herself starting to like the stallion, not in a very genuine way, granted, but he was still good entertainment and seemed to have the right ideas on the world, though he’d still have to back himself up.

Deceased
Blu

Guns’ nostrils twitch, snuffling the dirt caught between his worn black nails, wincing. Blood beads on his front right paw, and he rasps his long pink tongue over the cracked gray pad, the salty tang of the crimson burning in his mouth. There is a whimper caught in his teeth, but he doesn’t let it free. The Incendiary had driven them both hard to the Threshold, momentary respite from the outside world where unicorns and pegasi reigned freely.

Her eyes flick to him momentarily, and the collie’s white ruff comes up, hairs erect, before she returns to her playful banter. With his inquisitive eyes, Guns keeps watching, wary of this enormous black mare.

Rhanna drawls on, sarcasm embedded heavy in her deep voice, weighing down each word. The dunskin’s ears swivel away from her, cautious. No matter how empty the forest seemed, the trees listened, their leaves whispering, the cracked bark of their trunks groaning, moaning stories of old, stories that took hundreds of years to recount. Maybe the glimpse of a shadow there was cast by a pegasus who listened soundlessly, cloaked from their eyes in wicked magics.
No, the mare was most likely dead by now, throttled by pain and devoured by infection.

The buttermilk boy’s attention returns to the giantess, and his teal eyes narrow as he studies her face closely, looking for ambition or traitorous intents, but nothing can he find in these soulless black eyes. What she said set did not settle him. What did she mean by sticky? With any luck, she means simply that life in a herd can be dull; he does not like to imagine the giantess going on rampage. It would be a bitter fight, to force her onto her knees and bring her to bow her head to him, watch her swallow the phlegm in her throat and hear the hoarse rasping of her exhausted lungs. And then her punishment. There was no exile for traitors- there was only death.

He twitches his ears dismissively, though he would not deny his blood was roused at the thought of such a bloody fight. It would need to be determined if she actually cared for the Norm before he would invite her there.
And anyways, his three or four companions did not qualify as a herd persay, for more reasons than one.

“We do not yet hold sway over a herdland.” Ricochet answers with distaste, a faintly beleaguered expression coming over his scarred face. “And I do not imagine you will find herdlife- what is it you said, sticky?- with me or my companions. We are fighters, not silver-tongued diplomats. I do not lead weaklings, unless they show the potential and capacity to better themselves.” Well, that was not wholly true. He would lead the old and the young as necessary, and he recruited all and any; but he did lead warriors, at least for now, executioners and crafters, and not much in between.

From the shade of his tree, Guns peers up at them, pausing from the vigorous licking of his pawpad, ears perking forward, head cocking in mild curiosity. His tail wags, slowly and softly, over the dry soil, stirring up dust from the top layers.

Eyes widen in surprise as the mare declares her distaste for the unnatural, and for a moment Ricochet’s breath catches in his throat, choking him there. Here in the mottled shadows of the Threshold, he has found a mare with the right ideas. Excitement overrides his senses; his hindquarters flex and he arches his neck, blowing out softly through his nostrils. He reminds himself that she is an arrogant sort of girl for admitting it in the open, that harm will come of revealing themselves too early, but it is difficult, so difficult, to ignore the heart-lashing elation that rises in him.

“It is good to at long last meet someone who understands,” he laughs, full of optimism. “Rhanna, come and join us. It is our eventual goal to eradicate the world of such abnormalities… but I’m getting ahead of myself. The first step is to add to our numbers. We are much too few to even conquer a herdland at this point in time.” Ricochet grins toothily at her. “Help me change that, and then the world.”

But he pauses, because he can’t lie to her, even if he doesn’t really like her all that much. It would jeopardize all the work he had done if she nattered to every stranger about her racism. “If you take up arms with us, you’ll have to drop such honesty. Helovia is not yet ready to learn about the Empire, our forces are not large enough to face the hundreds. I would ask that you hide your true feelings about skyrats and hornheads. Even some of my outcast band think we are only a group devoted to the welfare of equines.”

R I C O C H E T - -
blam, you're dead

Unregistered

Eyes narrowed shrewdly as Rhanna watched the stallion, he seemed to be wary of eavesdroppers. What delicate secrets was he so eager to share her? And the dog was so damn watchful and wary, it was almost enough to put the mare on edge, but she let it roll off her shoulders. If the stallion had an army after him, he’d hardly stop to chat, and it’d been a rare occurrence that anyone tried to pick a fight with her.

As he spoke, Rhanna let some of her attention drift to the dog again. Still listening to his master, she lowered her head and began to approach the little beast. Her ears pricked forward, curious and not unfriendly as her head drew close. She had heard that some equines had bonds with smaller creatures like this, and she wondered if this was one of those strange companions. Maybe it wasn’t. Rhanna wasn’t the biggest fan of magic. Her nostrils flared, pulling in the dogs scent, and then gave a little snort, what an odd creature to cart around with you but like the stallion had said, not useless. It was an intelligent thing for sure, it’s bright eyes were alight with it, and if it was anything like its larger, wilder cousins, it probably packed a good bite too.

As Ricochet started ruminate on his plans, she raised her head again and returned her attention to him. The stallion had more about him than she’d thought; planning to eradicate any non-equines was certainly ambitious. So far in her life she’d mainly tried to avoid them but after years of convincing herself that it was hatred instead of jealousy that drove her dislike, she was ready to believe it. Rhanna, at her core, was a creature of self entertainment rather than blind ambition, power gave you responsibilities and put you on to many people’s enemy list She’d been content to skate through unscathed with no cause worth losing life or limb. This stallion’s intent went farther than she’d considered, more active where her distaste had always been a passive thing, but she couldn’t deny that it intrigued her.

“Seems a fine idea, but not an easy one to see though. Move too fast and it’s simply suicide.” Her voice had changed from its playful lilt, sarcasm dropped and replaced with a direct and deliberate tone and she continued. “I don’t know much of this land, Helovia you called it, but in what I have seen of the world beyond their numbers are equal to the pure race, if they don’t outnumber us already.”

She considered what he’d said before with more detail, his band must be small but he hadn’t been to specific on their numbers. “You’ll have a difficult time recruiting, too many of our kind are to tolerant. I’ll come with you, help you if I can, but I’ll tell you now I’m not going to die for a fool’s errand. I’ll keep your secret, and my silence to.”

The black giantess gave a short nod of her head to the stallion. He seemed capable an cunning, but it’d be a little whole before he gained her total respect, and even then loyalty would be harder to earn. She’d never make a power grab, but she was a selfish creature, if it was in her best interest to leave his leadership, she probably would. A smile cracked her face again, and a bit of her brazen manner returned. “So darling, if you’ve got to established territory, where can I look to find the other members of your little band?”

-lainespeak-
Notes: Sorry for the wait! Crazy week! And oh no, he's been consumed by darkness!