the Rift

[OPEN] Just a spoonfull of acid (Silk) (Closed)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Birth is nothing but death begun
My soul shivered in the night wind, the body it harbored in trembled as response. There was something stirring in the distant shadows, yet hidden from view. I’d heard rumor in the North and West of a darkness seeping once again into Helovia. Swallowing all that it came across, besting even the most stern of warriors. It was the darkness of legend, not just utter and complete black as before—but death’s kiss as a promise. But those were just rumors, the gossip of a waggling tongue, I chided myself. How many times before had those waggling lips proven to be false?

I tried to push these thoughts aside while we (myself and Fina) strolled the border, just on the other side of the stone wall was a volcanic valley—and beyond that the windblown meadows. My mind moved from gossip to more personal topics. Ktulu and her choice to walk away. To say that this heart had grown cold toward the lass was false, I still bled from wounds that she inflicted. There was little healing being done to mend the gapping cuts. Cera. Hototo. Jiji, and now Ktulu. I worried about them continuously, thought about their wellbeing on a daily basis.

Steps lengthened in the sand, grief weighting this heart. It was like a death in the family. There was no quick remedy to suture the agony of a wounded son and lost mate. What remained was a chore to cop, I’d learn to live without her—just as I learned many years ago to live without my beloved Ma and Da.
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Satanic Silk Posts: 153
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 5 (Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
satanic silk

His wings tucked against his side, Silk moved through the night, his black hooves kicking up sand as he moved. The darkness wrapped his body like a cloak, providing extra stealth to the already shadowed body. The only part of him that stood out in the darkness was his silvery flaxen mane and tail, and they kept him illuminated in the night so that he remained slightly visible. His mind was lost as he wandered. He thought about those he had met, those he thought he might have a calling to join. Most of all, though, he thought about Africa. The dapple grey one-winged beauty was at the forefront of his mind. He purred quietly to himself. Something about her entranced him, and though she was so gentle and innocent and generally unlike what he normally was attracted to, he was drawn to her. Silk found himself wanting to protect the Oracle, and cherish her like no other did. He wasn't sure yet that he wanted to admit this to anyone... he'd grown up believing that emotion was weakness, especially the 'softer' emotions like love and joy. But this was something that he could not deny to himself - or to her.

Lost in his thoughts, Silk was surprised to find himself nearly face to face with a pegasus stallion. His ears twitched back, annoyed that he had not been aware of his surroundings until now. The pinto stallion had feathery white wings, tipped in gold, just as his hooves were painted. With him was a phoenix, burning bright in the night. Silk took a quick step back, uncomfortable with how close he was to this stranger.

He looked the stallion up and down. He seemed to be as lost in his thoughts as Silk was, though Silk imagined they were not as pleasant, based off the look on the other's face. He noticed the golden eyes, and thought idly that they went well with the other gold accents, much like Silk's eyes went with the accents he also had. He grunted at the other brute. Satanic Silk. And you are? His manners were not at their best right now, and he did not care. The pinto looked like he could take care of himself and would not mind Silk's gruffness. If he did, then too bad.

[Image: silkicon2_by_lainey_lou-d73bsek.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
Midas
Quiet musings were never meant to last and just because I was thinking didn’t mean that yon individual walking an opposite path ahead would go unnoticed long before he came within earshot. Though early on I paid him little mind, Fina had already noted for my occupied brain that said stallion smelled of home—not a threat. Or so we figured.

As the distance closed he continued to stalk forward, I shifted aside to allow ample room for passing. My head rose curious, eyes clearing with memories falling to the wayside as we began to pass. Yet it appeared he didn’t simply want to wander on in a state of whatever it was he happened to be thinking about. The gruffness in his scowl made my ears sliver back and Fina dropped from her heavenly flight to slide across my spine before alighting there between ivory feathers. We paused, allowing him to draw near as he might.

The stranger spoke in a rough way, rudely announcing to me by tone that he was in a sour mood and I would be forced to partake in it. “Midas,” I said firmly, “Sultan of Dragon’s Throat.”I might have cared for his grievances that induced brassiness…had the boy approached in a more suitable manner. But care was struck aside as cooling anger rose to meet his stalky attitude unflinchingly, “I care not for your tone; see it corrected or find yourself outside these lands.” Fina hissed between her beak, the flaming tips of her wings fanning out to flash against the darkness of my pelt.

satanic silk

Boys can be so pretentious. Full of themselves and high and mighty. Even if they know what they say, they never truly know the impact. Playing as little boys do, roughhousing and playing king. Sometimes, though, they aren't playing king. Sometimes, we all make mistakes. Sometimes, things are much more real than we thought they were. Midas is the King. Silk is... in trouble.

Silk drew back farther as the King announced who he was. Oh... shit. Silk lowered his skull a little in deference to the lord of the land. He perked his ears forward, and bent a knee momentarily before rising up again. Apologies, lord. He spoke sincerely enough, but was not overly warm in his apology. I did not realize who you were. Presumably, had Silk known that the figure he approached and was rude to was the king, he would have been much more respectful and kind upon their first meeting. Of course, that was just an assumption, and there was no way to ever know if Silk could have summoned up his manners then. The Phoenix that he had been admiring hissed at him and looked as though she might light him on fire at will. He bobbed his head silently toward her, begging her forgiveness. There was something about her that he liked, and he hoped subconsciously that one day he may have a phoenix of his own to keep him company.

His apology spoken, Silk cocked his head at the stallion in front of him. What seems to bother you? You seem as perturbed by some other thought as you are by me. It was unusually perceptive of Silk, and of course it was probably none of his business. Though he meant no offense toward the King -- he had no bone to pick -- he also did not care much whether he was prying or not. If he was, the other brute would tell him to piss off. As it was, Silk was an independent drummer who was quite willing to drum on the top of your skull if you let him.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
The ignorance of youth could be forgiven—but not before being properly corrected. Like a Da who nipped at his youngling’s ears, so did I in a less literal sense teach this bat winged Pegasus a fair lesson that hopefully wouldn’t soon be forgotten. Humility was a valuable trait, one could never know who it was they approached. Had I been a beast of carnage as others prided themselves to stand—said boy would have been struck to join his ancestors in the afterlife. Luck treated him gently in this instant, I’m not a fool who banishes his weapons without needed cause. Nor is my anger quick to rise and hard to cool. The moment he backed down, I saw the change happen almost instantly; gone was the cocky adolescent adult.

Santanic proceeded to bow respectfully, a gesture I didn’t feel obliged to return even when he apologized and waggled a poor excuse. “Who I am is of little regard here,” my tone still rings with a hard authority that this tense, but when I speak again it notably softens, “Ye would be wise to treat all that is newly noted with ample respect—most are not of a compassionate nature.” Fina chirped her frustration before folding her wings and glaring at the ebony beast with distaste and silence—she had been ready to fly at his face and the denying of it only pissed her off.

I wasn’t a sharing man with people that knew me well (including family), and certainly not one to gossip openly with a stranger I barely knew. He took a leap and asked what I’d been thinking. There was an urge to scoff at his question, instead I frowned and replied, “Yar, protecting a herd gives way to many a night filled with occupied thoughts.” After a moment I asked, "What brings ye out this night? He didn't look like a soldier from our ranks.

satanic silk

The golden-tipped stallion responded, scolding him rather efficiently. Silk nodded, his eyes wide with learning at what the stallion said. Except, Silk was disregarding everything that was spoken, but he was not about to let on to that. He did not want to argue with the king, and would offer all the respect he could muster. That said, Silk did not care one way or another if others were not as compassionate as Midas. Silk was decent at defending himself, and felt that anyone he came across should earn his respect, not deserve it among first sight. Inside he grunted, and he wanted to say something snide, but bit his tongue instead. There was no need for that attitude, not right now at least. But Silk kept his face passive at worst, and tried to show his eagerness to hear Midas's advice. In reality, Midas probably knew much better than Silk, having more life experience and general knowledge. But Silk did not care.

Midas moved on to answer his question. Silk thought that Midas spoke a little strangely, using words like "ye" and "yar". Everyone has their own idiosyncracies, I suppose. Silk rolled his shoulders back, relaxing his body stance a little more. For some reason, Silk found himself regularly in the shrink position, asking what thoughts were so perturbing to those experiencing them. Mauja, Africa, now Midas. How did I get so interested in other peoples' minds? Ugh. Silk masked his annoyance with himself and listened carefully to Midas's response. "Occupied thoughts." Well that was vague. But Silk let it go as Midas asked him a returning question. I enjoy the coolness of the night, and the darkness. And yourself? Surely even the guardian needs to rest now and then.

WC: 291
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
It was good to see that he had already learned a piece of wisdom, even if all else was thrown aside. Others had not been so fortunate or intelligent and they had suffered the consequences of that choice; and would suffer yet still. It was better to hold your tongue then go up against someone you knew little to nothing about, besides, friends tended to be around to aid your needs—whereas enemies cared little for the shit that was your life. He answered evenly, also notably accepting as most of this family did that I wasn’t the sharing type.

“Same,” I murmured softly, the beginnings of a smile slipped across my face, “The cold evenings are sometimes preferred for patrolling than the heat infused afternoons.” If he’d spent any time in this home then Satanic Silk would already have learned our daytime woes could be sweltering for new arrivals, “What land does ye hail from?”I’ve nearly soothed all the furrowed wrinkles out and begun to relax as he had. The leather wings at his side draws my gaze at long last, I’m intrigued by them and add, “By chance did ye come across a lass with bronze fur, unmarked and feathered wings of average length. She stood near my height, and likely would be traveling in company of those with wings similar to yours.” I nodded toward his appendages, my own feathers shifting across barrel. Kri. Why hadn’t you come home? Where you dead? Some part of me knew nothing in the world would keep her from the desert, yet, she perhaps she was no longer of this world.

satanic silk

The king seemed to be settling down, and whatever Silk had done - perhaps not act like a snot for once - had seemed to soothe some of Midas's nerves. Silk let a small smile in return come back on his face, mirroring the one on the other pegasus's face. He let his twin peaks hang loose, and one fell somewhat lopsided to the side. Midas asked him a question, about where he came from.

The lopsided ear slid back and the smile faded slightly. He didn't talk about where he came from. There were no pleasant memories from that place and he had mostly repressed them. He parted his lips and spoke softly, almost too quietly for Midas to hear. Nowhere of consequence. He gave a small noncommittal shrug. Then he asked another question, about something totally different. Another pegasus, like him? And some other pegasus that Midas was looking for. The tone of his voice sounded almost wistful, and Silk became curious whom this was that Midas wanted after. And who it was that looked even slightly similar to himself?

Silk cocked his head. His curiosity would get him into trouble someday, but he certainly did not think it would be today. I am afraid I have not come across any such beings. Who are pegasi that you speak of? His eyes lit up with interest and he found himself wondering if Midas could see his intrigue in the darkness, illuminated only by a clouded moon. His nostrils flared as he took in the air from the night, calming down the blood that pulsed through his veins. He wanted to know more about Helovia, this world he had entered. Midas had information that Silk wanted to partake in.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
It seemed we were more similar than different by the façade he presented. Without further comment toward his answer, I thought that he wasn’t the sort to share much or my lack of useful information had only lifted his caution higher; we would get along just fine as long as the conversation didn’t make us vulnerable to releasing pent emotion and secret ideals. I smiled and nodded understandingly, it might be that he was telling me a truth, not all outlying territories had a grand story to share.

There had only been a slight chance that Satanic Silk might have known about Kri and her adventures outside of Helovia. When his gaze widened and tone took on a more curious glint I knew that those hopes could be dashed aside. An unrestrained sigh emerged from my breast and filtered into the cool night air as a misty cloud that was blown away. I shrugged shoulders back, “Nobody in this valley knows of the beasts that fly in the company of our late Sultana, Kri.” My gaze shifts from his face to linger on the outlying lands covered by night and mostly unseen from this distance.

Still, by the light of Helovia’s heart I can make out the rise of cresting hills, “They came one day, not more than two seasons ago. Large beasts, larger than I’d ever seen before. Their wings weren’t made of feathers, more…like the appendages of a bat.” Toward the end golden rods slipped back to him, “Kri followed them out of the Throat, and hasn’t been seen since.”

Silk could see the pain in Midas's expression. Clearly this Kri was someone very important to him. A mate perhaps? It was only a guess, but he imagined that that pain could only really be felt for a mate. The king clearly did not want to show this pain, and wanted to bottle up much of the emotion he felt. It is hard to bottle all of that up though. Silk was, admittedly, disappointed when the king said that the beasts were completely foreign to him. He sought to find more creatures that were like him, but though he knew of bats and dragons, and though he knew of pegasi, he did not know of any bat- or dragon-winged pegasi. He would just have to continue his search.

Silk offered up his condolences. "I am sorry for your loss, my King." He stood in silence for a moment, then realized he had heard something before about this Kri. Not much, but just the passing of the name. He was pretty sure that the night he had met Africa, she was singing a ballad about Kri as she tended the fire. "Is this the Kri that I once heard Africa talking about? She sang a ballad, and I caught the name." It was a few days past, but he remembered the name, because it was the only part of the ballad he had really heard. The King's Queen, ballads made about her. She must have been quite a lady.

Satanic Silk
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Midas
I could see that my answer didn’t satisfy his unspoken desire by how his expression went from hopeful to slightly crestfallen. Silk overcame his disappointment in whatever hadn’t been said by offering condolences, to which I nodded with a frown and replied, “I say thankee.” The loss of a leader was heartfelt among not only myself but the rest of our family—they had only recently come to accept my newfound position when Kri left us high and dry. She had led our home since the days of my youth; the idea that our Resolute would ever abandon was…simply bitter to the tongue. I could never take her place in this family, but I would spend the rest of my life trying to fill it in her honor. Kir hadn’t reared and mentored a coward from the ranks of Soldier.

Silk glanced at my way thoughtfully, seemingly finding something else to add toward our conversation before we parted ways. Africa, I smiled. “She is a kind soul, and aye. Ye heard correctly, Kri was our leader since I was nothing more than a child nimbly following Ma’s flank.” I swallow and breathe out, “It has been difficult without her guidance—but we endure none the less, tis would be how she wanted us to live.” My gaze fell toward the dark sand at our feet, then rose from its downcast position to find his pools and smile gently when we locked eyes, “Does ye have further questions about Dragon’s Throat?” Fina shifted her weight silently—aqua eyes never leaving his taller frame. She scowled angrily out of not being included in our conversation.

He listened to what the great king said, but his mind was already off in a new world. "She is a kind soul.." Yes, she is. That much is very obvious. Of course Midas was talking about Kri, the late queen of Dragon's Throat. But Silk was thinking only of Africa. The dapple grey beauty held his heart in a vice, and there was no escaping the thought of her - if he had even wanted to. He had the sudden thought that he might ask Midas what had happened to the poor soul that she was so wrought with inner conflict. A murder? The loss of her wing? Mistakes she should have never made. But though he dearly wanted to find out, to learn the meaning behind her riddles, he felt that to ask Midas would be an act of betrayal of Africa's trust. These were not answers for Midas to give, and it was unfair to ask the king to divulge them. He put the thought to rest, and redirected the speeding train of thought toward Midas's words. The king has spoken fondly of the queen, and it was clear there was much nostalgia and pain for him.

Silk tried to offer the king a comforting smile, but he knew there was nothing he could do to ease the pain. "Further questions?" Silk repeated the question back to the king, thinking for a moment if he did have further questions. "No, I don't believe so. But if I do, I will be sure to let you know." Without giving a reason for his departure, Silk bowed his head to the king and his feathery, lit friend. "I'm sure we will meet again soon." Without waiting for any leave, because Silk was much too unfamiliar with that concept, he turned heel and cantered off into the dimly lit night.

WC: 309
Satanic Silk
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread