the Rift

[OPEN] tranquility

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

As she wandered through the forest, she found herself wondering if perhaps everyone had a certain defining moment that changed their life. She also found herself wondering if she had already had hers.

She had the feeling that her moment had come, because when she thought back over her life and the eight painful years of her existence, she was met with a resounding feeling of unease and incompetence. The shade did not feel as though she had accomplished much of anything, despite having clearly defined goals and an entire herd at her beck and call to accomplish those goals. Perhaps she had not been trying hard enough. Perhaps she did not try on purpose, because somewhere deep in her soul, something felt wrong. But that couldn't have been the case, because she still remembered what it felt like to be happy, or at least to be content. Had she ever been happy? She didn't know, and that made her think that the answer was 'probably not.'

Then, she had lost her horn. She had been outcasted from the Aurora Basin. She had spent a long night wondering if suicide might be the best option, and she had spent the better part of a week or two wallowing in self-pity and despair. But then... then, she realized that the angst that had filled her nights was gone. She had realized that the tension that accompanied every miniscule gesture, every perfectly accentuated word, every sickly sweet smile - it was all gone. The pressure to conform to the expectations of the masses was no longer drowning her. And, suddenly, she realized that she had never been fit to rule. She had never been the leader they wanted her to be. She had never conformed to their standards and she had never given them their dreams and she had always just been a tool at the disposal of her father's teachings, and, out of nowhere, she realized that she had no clue who she really was.

And then Illynx had shown up to berate her and offer her adoration in equal measure, and that was a whole new can of worms that the shadow-mare just wasn't quite ready to deal with in the face of all the changes she was already facing, and so here she was, wandering the woods at midday and searching for a nice, secluded spot where she might hide from the world for a while.

But at least she had figured out what her moment was.

And she was different now, truly. Perhaps it was the loss of her horn and the sudden plunge into inferiority, or perhaps it was just the combination of things that had led to her revelations, but she had become something that she had never been before. She was not a pacifist, of course - some things just never change - but she was not filled with that horrible, putrid, gut-wrenching hatred that had been her staple for all those years. She had no desire to watch the world burn before her eyes - in fact, with the memory of her mother's death in mind, she wanted quite the opposite. To be honest, she didn't even want to rule anymore. Maybe she just wanted to find a peaceful glade somewhere deep in the forest where no one would ever go and live out her days in solitude.

But maybe that would just be boring.

@[Mesec]

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

mesec</style>

I had gone against my very own words. I had wandered away from the safety of the Foothills, or at least what I hoped was safe, and I hadn't left a single trace of my departure behind.

I had to see if the threat was spreading, if it had moved closer to our home.

If one were to set out in search of me, it would be impossible for them to gather any sort of lead, for I'd taken to traveling by the shadows gifted from Mother at my birth. The shadows that consumed me, took me wherever I pleased, were still very much comforting to me despite the terror I'd experienced in the marsh just days ago. The creeping shadows there were of another type entirely, and I couldn't help but wonder if Mother was even aware of the happening. Did she care, or know if it was even worth paying attention to? Had it all been in my head? If it was something evil, was she prepared to defend the earth as she had obviously done during the endless night?

With a long exhale, I pushed the thought out of my head. As much as I wished for it, I knew Mother wouldn't leave her throne to answer me.

As the shadows gave way and revealed the light of day, I found myself standing in the thickest part of the southern forest. For a moment I kept stock still, nostrils flaring to take in the scents surrounding me and ears flickering every which way to assure that I wasn't in for a surprise. Here, my hair did not stand on end and the air was much lighter than it had been back in the marsh. Overall, the world seemed alright here; and I never thought I'd be so happy to hear the distant chirping of birds.

Unaware I had been holding my breath, I let it out slowly, pulling my wings from my sides briefly before settling them once more. "I'm alright," I reassured myself out loud, "I'm a shadow, after all; this is my job. I can do it. I have to." And with that, I picked up my feet and headed deeper into the forest, though it wasn't but a few minutes into my journey that a distantly familiar shape caught my gaze.

Stopping myself short, I looked upon the dark form of a mare from afar, my heart thrumming viciously within my chest. Could it really be...? There was no mistaking that this was Psyche, the very Lady of the Basin, but what was she doing so far away from the tundra herdland? My teeth ground together behind pursed lips, ears pinning at the memory of the hatred she'd harbored towards me. Oh, how I had tried to show her and the others that I wasn't so bad, that I only wanted to be a part of the family that was the Aurora Basin... But I had come to loathe her and every other fool who called the Basin home, who thought that a simple horn put them above the rest.

Horn...

Suddenly, realization had dawned on me. Narrowing my gaze, I strained my eyes to focus on the one that should have been protruding from the Lady's forehead, but try as I might, I saw no hint of the gnarled, branch-like horn. For a moment I wondered if I had made a mistaken, that this wasn't Psyche at all, but the four white stockings and myriad of feathers hanging from her black mane proved that I'd been right all along. I blinked slowly, wondering if this too was a trick, but dared myself to move closer just a second later.

"... Psyche?" I spoke up, voice softer than I previously would have liked it to be. I continued my approach until I stood but ten or so yards away, every weary of the Basin leader. My eyes ventured again to where her horn ought to be, again surprised to see that it was no more. "What... What are you doing out here?"

"talk talk talk"
  in the corner of a dark room.
breathless-dk, EveLivesey, and Burtn @ deviantart.com
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The shadow-mare had not heard of the threat moving through the world; even if she had, she would likely not have changed her behavior. A part of her, perhaps, still imagined that she was untouchable, a unicorn to be revered and held on high - but it was a small part, tucked away in the craggy recesses of her memory, shoved into the darkest corner and locked away to be forgotten. It is interesting how the mind works, however - for the things you try hardest to forget are often the things that you remember the most.

When the small voice shook her from her momentary comfort, that old darkness again reared its ugly head, and for a moment her auds flicked back, her pupils dilated, and her mouth slid into an ugly sneer; but the moment was followed by horror, and she closed her eyes as she fought the urge to hate. She had been hateful too much, for too long. She wasn't that Empress anymore. She didn't want to be. Even if she did not yet realize that her ideals were changing, she knew that this - the immediate disgust when greeted by an appearance different than her own - was wrong.

She swallowed, hard. She took a deep breath.

She opened her eyes.

He stood before her, something fearful in his approach - and she couldn't blame him for that - all wings and darkness and silver and oddness, and as she looked him over, she realized that she knew him. What was his name... Merric? Manic? Was that it? No, no - Mesec. Mesec... yes. He wasn't really so horrible, she realized, though she still didn't understand the mechanics of wings. It just didn't make sense for horses to fly. "Ah - Mesec," she stuttered. Had she been human, her face would have been red with an embarrassed flush, but as a unicorn, she was spared that particular humiliation.

"I'm... well, I don't know, really..." She was scrambling for words, memories of how harshly she had treated him bombarding her from within. "I'm just... wandering, I suppose." Was that guilt flooding her system? Was that how it felt to regret one's actions? What was she supposed to do now?

@[Mesec]

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx
déodat,

Such sweet irony, he had been the bold warrior to find the wickedness looming and now he had become part of it. Reckless bravery and a petty need to protect youth left him a rotting monster. The Blood Prince had ascended mortality, shed the skin of the stalwart soldier, he was the malevolent devil, the creature from foals nightmares. Just as he had protected his homeland, he would destroy it. All of them would be dead or rotting shells. Nothing would remain of the icy kingdom, and he would be the king of the wasteland that was left behind. Hm, the Blood King, had a nice ring to it didn’t it? Let his conquest begin!

The Blood King spread out the new acquired wings and began to circle like a vulture over the cold north. A sliver of mortality seized hold of the beast and pushed the beast away from his home, should anyone fall it will be the ones of perverse blood, or perhaps he could trap this demon. An idea sparked into the mind and just and the demon seized hold of it and twisted it. Off the monster flew toward south, seeking those with the ripe flesh.

Behind the monster is a cloud of sickly green fog, and he landed upon the soil and scented about the dark forest surrounding him. Living flesh! A lust for blood sparked inside of him along with a new found loathing for those that remained untouched by the foul disease that had seized hold of him. “It's dangerous you know to lurk n the dark forest. Monsters might hurt you. ” Déodat stepped out from the trees and looked between the two figures. Which one should be his snack? The Blood King moved his gaze between them playing his little game of eenie minie mo. Finally his eyes stopped upon the hornless one. The Blood King lunged forward, both sets of his wings flaring out as he moved toward her. He lashed out his four horns in a horizontal direction hoping to scrape down her right side. To put the icing on the cake, he gave out a good sneeze directing it closer to her face .

Then he turned toward the winged boy. “Run little rat or I’ll dine on your flesh to.”

"Speech speech speech"

[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

mesec</style>

I waited for it, that sickly sweet, lie of a smile to cross the Empress' face. When her eyes turned to me, the twisting of her ears and the downwards jerk of her mouth weren't surprising in the least. For some time I thought I'd never be bothered again by the way one looked at me, but as Psyche glowered, I was proved horribly wrong. My wings pressed closer to my side in way of comfort, and suddenly I felt truly disgusting. I swallowed thickly and was about to say something more, but the spectacle that was happening before me was hardly something I could interrupt.

The black mare looked as though she were fighting that look off of her face, forcing her eyes closed and sucking in a deep breath. It seemed to work, for when she opened her eyes again, she looked completely different in my eyes. I didn't know what she was truly feeling at this moment in time, but she looked calmer, different, and without that ugly sneer on her face, I found she looked much gentler. A gentle Psyche... the thought alone was almost terrifying, but here I was, standing before the Basin leader and witnessing it.

For a moment, I didn't know what to say as she addressed me, claiming that she was simply wandering like some lost soul. My surprise surely showed all across my face, and only after assuring that my jaw had not fallen to the forest floor did I gather myself again, picking my head up a bit more and regarding her with a kind look despite all the hatred she had ever shown me. It was difficult, admittedly, but never did I want to fall into the pit of the bad guy or the vengeful one.

"W-Wandering?" I stammered then, genuinely confused as to why the dark Lady would be wandering aimlessly during such a tumultulous time as this. Was she not aware of the ascending darkness, perhaps? Had she been brainwashed? It made sense in my mind, for while she looked like the Dark Empress I remembered save for her horn, she certainly didn't act like it. "But... don't you know what's happening? Haven't you seen -- felt it? The darkness?" Without sounding absolutely out of my mind, I wasn't entirely sure how to descibe what I'd seen back in the marsh nor felt at the shores of the endless blue. "I know that... that our beginnings weren't so well," I went on, keeping my gaze upon Psyche's own and doing my best to gauge what she might be thinking of my words. "But there's something bad here in Helovia. Some sort of evil that far darker than the night that fell over us a few seasons ago. Please, I know where many are hidi--"

I was cut off by the sound of another, and my skin began to crawl at once when I turned my head to look upon the culprit. The painted stallion which stood before us looked as though he'd leapt from my coltish nightmares and into reality. His eyes were as black as the midnight sky, his side was slathered in an endless stream of blood, and his muzzle was nothing but exposed bone. Pure terror gripped at my very soul and instinct told me to run, but my hooves remained planted firmly in the soil. The decaying thing lunged forward only a moment later, lashing out with a set of impressive horns. I didn't know what this thing was, why a sickly cloud of green followed in its stead, why it looked the way it did or why it was suddenly attacking us, but one thing was for sure; I would not leave Psyche here in order to save my own hide.

"NO!! I called out, shoving myself forward and towards the demonic being, head dropped and neck curled, horn poised to go into our adversary's left side. Whether my attack hit its mark or not, I then took to the shadows unless I was stopped, disappearing only to reappear on the stallion's opposite side several yards away, ears flattened and prepared to launch another attack if I was able. "Leave, demon!!"

@[Random Event]

"talk talk talk"
  in the corner of a dark room.
breathless-dk, EveLivesey, and Burtn @ deviantart.com
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The shade was perplexed, to say the least.

For the majority of his young life, she had been nothing but cruel to Mesec, to the point that he voluntarily left the Basin. She heard that he had taken up residence in the Foothills - or was it the Throat? She couldn't remember, though she thought she remembered someone berating her for his poor treatment. It was a long time ago, or so it felt, and drawing the memory to the surface left it riddled with holes and questions. Rather than continue to explore the dark corners of her mind where she had stored her past, she shoved the memory back where she had found it and decided to concentrate on the present. After all, she could hardly change what had transpired, nor did she delude herself into thinking that she could earn forgiveness for it.

And yet, the colt stayed. He stayed, and he warned her. She was silent for a moment, listening to his insistent words. He looked almost sick with concern, though she doubted it was on her account. Still, as he asked her about the darkness, her brows snapped together and a frown creased her maw. "But I don't understand," she said absently, trying to process the new information. Had she truly been so fortunate as to avoid this supposedly terrible plague creeping across Helovia?

The irony was not lost on her, believe me.

But then, as though wishing to surprise her even further, Mesec started to offer her protection. He didn't get to finish, but the offer lingered there all the same, and as she stared at him in blatant disbelief, someone - something - appeared, as though out of thing air. It was disgusting, and vile, and disturbing, and the shadow-mare wanted nothing more than to just get out of there - but she couldn't. She stood, rooted to the spot, staring at the demonic, rotting creature as he crept closer, threatening them outright.

Now, she was not the Dark Empress that she had once been. She did not have a hero complex or a death wish. In fact, seeing as she had gotten along so far without meeting anything of the darkness of which Mesec had spoken, she rather thought that the gods had decided to take pity on her poor, tattered soul. But he hadn't left her. He had tried to warn her. He had tried to offer her a place to be safe. And regardless of past feelings (which, by the way, she was working very hard to overcome), she refused to run. He didn't leave her - she wouldn't leave him.

But that didn't mean she wanted to stick around.

The movement happened so fast that later, she wouldn't remember what happened. She leaped forward, not toward the monster, but toward Mesec, who had launched his first attack and reappeared, she hoped, on the creature's right side. For a moment, the darkness in her mind and in her heart reared its ugly head, for such a move might have once been a killing stroke, but she shoved it back down as she aimed to shoulder Mesec out of the way by colliding with his shoulder. She pinned her ears at the creature and bared her teeth, trying to push Mesec away. "NO!" she hissed at the colt. "Get out of here! GO!"

She tried to place herself between the decaying beast and the boy. She hoped Mesec would go; she had no desire to actually fight this creature, but she would gladly follow him to shelter. "Hello, darling," she told the monster. "Why don't you pick on someone your own size?"

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Mesec attacks but remains Uninfected.
Psyche stands her ground but becomes Infected.