the Rift

[OPEN] Carpe Deim

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

Hooves, hard and weathered pressed sombrely against the packed, parched road which would inevitably lead him to the place he belonged. It had been so long since his orange eyes had traced the path which wound through the desolate terrain; since nostrils had sucked so deeply the arid air, the dust raised by his tread, and billowing lungs winced at the everlasting heat which flooded into their midst. The faint hint of relief lifted his bland, worn expression and Hector paused to view the burnt land which spread before him; which had welcomed him back so unconditionally so many times through the years. His long liver legs trembled with anticipation, his absence almost at an end.

Home...

Memories which had been stilled for so long stirred, and thick lashes closed tightly together as the faces of those loved most and respected danced in wild illusion before him. Many moons had passed since last he had spoken with the Resolute, she was a fond reminder of the life which had grown so comfortably around his burly, though increasingly insecure shoulders; the acceptance and limitless opportunity that had been given unconditionally through the seasons. Hector was a virtuous soul. Though his achievements were quiet and without flurries of merit, his heart had been devoted to the Throat and her steadfast leader. His passion lay in her defence, and driven by determination and the yearning to better himself for the honour of her trust; burning conviction and duty for the love of this land which embraced him once more, the lithe stallion strove to develop his ability.

You are my will to strive...

He stepped forward, primed chestnut frame slipping into the dark shade cast below the growing wall lying by their borderline, and glanced upwards slowly to admire the structure, though far from complete it still was. Rippling muscles quivered beneath the sheen of his sweat flecked coat, and he drew away his gaze in a vast sweep, scouting afterwards the near vicinity which lay still and quiet as the brunt of midday showered down in a hazy glow. The air felt stale as he tasted and tested it cautiously with an uplifted chin, though he knew well the nature of his home; the harsh reality which was soothed only by the cloak of star-bright nights through winter. For a moment he longed for that cool relief, for his stride to be swallowed by the emptiness of those lonely hours- so he could wander in the bliss of isolation and obscurity a moment longer.

It had been so long already though.

Hector’s great auburn wingspan unfurled as coiled haunches thrust the warrior upward. Between powerful wing beats he rose into the clear blue space above, his heart filling with elation known only to those winged alike- and Veci, though perhaps the trailing spectre found the experience to be dissimilar; without the ruffle of wind kissed feathers; without skin cooled by heaven’s restoring breath. Quietly determined eyes began automatically to scan the blur of colours as they tumbled below and he decided quickly, confidently, that a patrol would ease the tension; his simmering insecurities surrounding this long awaited return and its reception by those dearest.

This family, they never shun...

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
Flames - they licked the walls
tenderly, they turned to dust all that I adore
Sohalia had been needing more metal. Perhaps the I would be of some use if I could find more, when Sohalia wasn't even looking for it. It would helpful, I had to admit. And it wasn't too hard for me to dig, even if I was tiny. So, I stood near a part of the opening in the incomplete wall with my cream, pupil-less orbs shut. The vibrations were around me, and with gentle swishes of my tail I sent out small quakes to the land around me.

It is from these vibrations that I can feel spots of metal under the ground. And, so after marking how many steps in my brain I open my eyes and trot forward. Delicate limbs carrying me to the place so that I can start to dig. My flints snagging at the dirt and forcing it up and back, away from the metal that is a few feet underground. And, as I finally start to hear my hooves cling against the metal I take a good look at the shiny sheet below my hooves. It is there that, in it's reflection, I see a frame that looks familiar in size and build. Hector? Possibly, but I wouldn't know unless he touched down and I could feel the vibrations which his frame created, and get a very close look with my closed orbs.

I wanted to call out to him, to say hello to the floating stag. But, alas, that would not happen. Perhaps he would land? Perhaps he would offer aid? Who knew. And, because of that I continued my work. Hooves digging into the sand as sweat began to roll across my pelt in the unnatural heat for this season...

He couldn’t remember when last his eyes had reaped such satisfaction, sweeping left then right in a constantly surveying pattern, drinking the tumbling rustic hues of home as he glided with ease; at least, he knew that the world had been a much darker, much less familiar place the last time. Hector was glad to feel the weight of the sun upon his back today; he leaned heavily against the light, the sun and all which represented this vast land which opened beneath him. There seemed nothing unusual to find however, and few of his kin were roaming the sands- naturally, so thoughts began to wander between their faces instead.

Circling again, perhaps to delay the descent from tranquillity further, the auburn stallion found himself navigating the sleek black, top-most surface of the wall. Hardened hooves were slung to graze its face as mighty wing-thrusts maintained perfect balance, and he marvelled at such resilience and integrity regardless of the magical properties therein, for the metal blocks remained entirely unscathed by the howling drifts of windblown sand; torrents of rain unleashed so rarely but with such a vengeance, and the lashings of unruly ocean weather.

As he admired the handiwork of those with the ability to craft (he was quite incapable of dreaming up such wild and wondrous ideas, and less still able to assemble a phenomenon so grand), a vision passed before his stoic gaze; and it was not one to be expected. Where the shadow of the semi-formed wall split in two, a mare without feathers, leather- or any other adornment for that matter, seemed to dither quite absurdly on the spot for some time. Veci could not touch the trembling earth as it bent to her will; could not relay the truth of her behaviour, so the warrior filled with naught but overwhelming suspicion. At least, until the rippling breath of his companion neared Rasta further and her eyes peeled apart to reveal a familiar blue-tinged light within.

Hind-hooves reached downwards to find the strength of the wall, and he launched upwards again impressively between the vast reach of his orange-speckled wings, as brawny haunches uncoiled upon it. With the spectre’s presence to guide, it took the scout little time to find the fissure and sink ever lower towards the pale mare who he had spoken with only once before- it did not matter. He came from behind as she fussed about the earth beneath her; swirling air driven en masse to announce his arrival, stirring to life a cloud of dust and loose sand around her. "Rasta," his careful mind recalled with ease, plucking at the stew of memories within. "Can I help you dig?" Not generally a soul overflowing with social ability anyway, he tried for politeness should she not be in the best of spirits this day. Certainly to him, the small creature appeared to be excavating a stone of some sort, and his conscious (perhaps his ego) could not stand back idly while she did so.

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

It seemed that I would not have to wait a long period of time in order to figure out of this flying creature was Hector or not. For, it seemed that his companion was concerned with the rippling earth, and that he would be joining me in due time.

The wind rippled around me, announcing the arrival of a pegasus as they flagged their wings in order to soften the landing. I did not flinch, only continued my duties of digging away at the Earth, almost completely revealing the metal, but not having the strength to yank the object from the ground. The dust began to cloud my vision as I worked, and some of it stung at my eyes causing them to water as they fought to rid the foreign substance for their wake. My name was stated, and I closed my eyes for a second - not only to blink away the sand, but to feel his form in the way that I would have known him before. Hector. Definitely Hector.

Carefully, I turned on my haunches before giving him a smile in welcoming. And, then he asked if he could aid me in digging. I nodded my head instantly the smile only widening on my face. I open my mouth to speak, but no words are emitted, my way of attempting to show the stag that I was mute for the moment. Then, I go and I try and dig my flints under the surface of the metal, attempting to start to pull it free from the ground, to show him what I needed.

I may be strong enough to dig, but strong enough to yank the object out of the ground that would be a lie. And so, I swished my tail again, calling to the earth to radiate in a low level vibration and my eyes fell shut again, concentrating for the vibrations of the metal. And, when I found another one a foot under the ground, not but a few spaces away, I moved my position toward it and started the process of digging all over again. Flints dragging the sand up and behind me as I tried to uncover more of the precious metal that Sohalia would no doubt need to work on the wall with.

Veci wafted like a curling breath of the finest fog about Rasta’s lowered face; she gouged about the shadowy ore with fine, neat toes, and the Boggart played with waning interest through the haze of dust lifted. Mischievous by nature, he yearned for the ability to shift the earth around her; to lift those unearthed stones flung so carelessly aside, and torment her with them- if only by refilling the hole she cleared. He could not achieve anything so dramatic however, and settled sombrely to instead guide the plumes of powdery sand and soil with his wispy, translucent form, towards her unsuspecting nostrils.

Swift and silent came the warning from the chestnut stallion. Hector could not readily see the location or ill-conduct of his naughty counterpart, but the eerie silence and unusual stillness building through their bond roused his suspicion. Veci had been told before to leave their brethren at peace, and such harassment of their ‘sister’ here would not for a moment be tolerated.

The spectre soon grew tired of the mundane task Hector had committed them to; it was dull for one who could not touch the world directly, and he left them resentfully to find something more entertaining to occupy the himself doing.

Rasta was quiet- the observant soldier noticed almost immediately that she did not speak to him like the last occasion when their paths had been crossed. Quietly he watched her welcome him forward by gesture alone, a broad smile wrapping around the tapering end of her quite exquisite face. When finally the thin pastel lips peeled apart, naught but air escaped. That was when he realised she could see; those eyes which had been so haunting and vague now embraced his own with warmth that he had not expected. Half smiling; mostly confused, Hector both announced and asked, "You can see today; but you cannot speak instead?" His voice lacked the compassion of one grown into social grace, but concern did pool behind the orange glow of his eyes.

He meandered towards her as she turned away moments later, to find that which had her attention ensnared.

Beneath her narrow hoof lay a semi-submerged sliver (he thought; or similar) of metal and it was plainly obvious that she had been trying to remove it from the sand-clay bed within which it lay. With some ease he struck it loose, his burly knee thrusting the sharp angle of his hoof against its lip, and lowering his face with uttermost care he used the larger and highest set of his curved ivory horns to lift it away altogether. Achievement flooded through his core and he turned while trying to mask the victory scattering through an otherwise insipid expression- he had been so scorned as a child that for even the smallest of feats he sought subtly merit from those around him. Such was the insecurity buried beneath his now gallant guise.

Rasta had moved away already to continue her foraging though, and so the pattern began- she found the ores and cleared the earth around each, and Hector the gentle giant, followed behind to remove them altogether and push them together into an expanding heap. There seemed little point in talking as they worked- the stallion was hardly fond of words to begin with let alone sitting at the head of a conversation with one who could not reply; so he worked in silence.

[Image: jWPP4oi.png]

I could feel the dust begin to collect in my nostrils, almost as if it were being pushed up into my lungs. It only takes a second for me to start to cough, eyes narrowing as I back up and get away from the plume of dust that had started to form.

It is with that cough that I begin to pay attention to everything around me again and notice the world around me and I gave Hector a welcoming bob as he landed behind me. Usually, I would have jumped from the random appearance of a stag near me, but since I could see I knew that he would have been coming sooner or later. There was a half-smile prominent on his face, but confusion lingered in the built lines. And then, his voice rang in the air. Compassion didn't seem to fill his words, though, and so I only tilted my head to the side before nodding my head. Yes. I can see but not speak. It was only when I looked into his eyes that I realized there really was concern in the back of his head about me.

He headed towards me, looking at what I was digging it up. After demonstrating the difficult portion of the dig I watched as he easily used his sharp hooves against the lip and lowered his face until his largest horn could lift it away completely. As I closed my eyes to find another piece of metal I could feel his muscles on his face shift, a joy as if he had gone through a victory, before he placed it into a heap closer towards the wall.

A smile graced my lips each time I felt one fall upon his as I searched for the next piece to dig up. And, after about twenty or so chunks of metal, ranging in size from my shoulder to my barrel were excavated from the earth I gave a small nicker of approval a the pile near the wall. Sohalia will be happy. She won't have to dig so much to get the metal for whatever task is needed next.

And so, I headed back over towards the looming stag with his huge frame. There a foot and a half of height difference between us, but I don't really care as I know he is supposed to be someone that I can call family. Gently, I brush my maw against his shoulder, having to reach up and still only able to touch the lower quarter of it in thanks for the help. And then i toss my head in the direction of the Oasis. Perhaps a break, a drink of water, and then we could return to the work, making another pile near the other unfinished side of wall to continue to aid Sohalia in her building of something to protect us.

Slowly, I begin to head that direction, looking back and watching to see if he is going to follow me or now.

two feet standing on a principle
two hands digging in each others wounds
cold smoke seeping out of colder throats

darkness falling, leaves nowhere to move

chunga-stock | prints-of-stock

The pile grew large as the day grew old. Twenty hunks had been collected- the liver chestnut had been counting their plunder naturally, with silent pride pooling through the vivid hue of observant eyes. The rigidity of his carriage; the uncertainty and private tension surrounding this return had been lessened all the while he worked in the company of the wordless female. While they had never forged a relationship much greater than obligatory pleasantries, Hector found her presence both intriguing and heartening- there was a calmness about her (superficial or not, he saw only the blanket she offered), and it was as contagious as the most persistent winter flu. Like any of his gender would, the stallion appreciated being put to use, and more so because she seemed to him to be so delicate; porcelain like, although each earth tremor mentioned by the touch of her narrow hooves reminded him that not everything was a simple as first impressions often implied.

In good time, Rasta turned from her task and wandered back to where Hector stood admiring the prize. His face, embellished with two bowed ivories and snippets of dusty white was lifted from the pile’s blunt pinnacle and guided upon a lean, brawny neck towards the sound of her muffled step; quiet eyes reflecting with new friendly fondness her company. "We did well." He said pleasantly enough, offering the fleeting hint of a playful smile, before both the echo of his deep voice and the cheer betrayed, fell away. For a moment he paused as though waiting for her response- but as she reached upwards to find the mass of his flexing shoulder with her lips in gratitude, he swayed awkwardly and answered involuntarily for her, "yes..."- perhaps so she wouldn’t feel so compelled to thank him, again.

The lovely creature pitched her slim, dished face then away towards the oasis, and Hector found his wings falling ajar; feathers prickling with anticipation, and he wanted to ask her all at once how their family had fared the wrath of that darkness- the Endless Night, which had seemed at the time to be perpetual, like the end of the world. With lips quivering, barring back the flood of harmless interrogation, his reverent gaze followed the trail of her eyes to where the lush foliage of the oasis rippled beneath the haze of sweltering desert heat. Even while the summer stew had been washed from the land by roused ocean gales, daylight hours still harboured a great intensity that was unique to Dragon’s Throat.

Rasta stepped away and Hector followed obligingly, with enough space borne between so that the radiating warmth from their thin summer hides did not become a burden. With a high body temperature normally, he found quickly that even the small amount of time spent back in these parts wreaked havoc on his hydration- foam had lathered by the points of his body which rubbed, and had sweat doused the rich ginger hue of his hide in a rather dull, grotty brown. He thought idly to himself as they walked; his long strides stiffened to suit her petite-legged pace, that he would quench his rapidly escalating thirst while they were visiting the sanctuary, and then find out (somehow) if she required any further assistance.

It was great, seeing that pile grow as the two of us worked together in sync. It was even, to a point, comforting to know that things could be accomplished without words being required to explain.

So, as the task finished up I headed back toward his side to thank him for all of his help. He watched me as I approached, a new fondness radiating in his eyes as he said that we had done well, a playful smile radiating across his face. The first sign of true emotion I had really seen since meeting him. It brought another smile to my face, though the swaying of his body away from my thanking touch only caused me to frown a little. Sad ears flicked to the side as I peered up at him, listening to his one awkward word.

Just wanted to say thanks... I thought to myself before taking a breath in and tossing my dished face towards the oasis before beginning to head towards it. He followed obligingly, having to shorten his strides so as to not crash into my frame or move too far past me, and I was even stretching out in lengthy, graceful movements to try and ease his travel. Upon arrival at the oasis I dipped my head down and took in some water to quench my parched throat. A gentle flick of my tail, raising it so it did not brush the ground, and I splash a little bit of water up, to cool down my hot hooves and canons. The water helping to ease the agitation from the sand that had been scratching at my pelt. So I dropped down for a moment to stretch out my legs before curling up against the water and letting it lap against my pelt and cool me down.

I would wait until Hector had had his rest before she got back up and tried to get him to aid her with the same task in a different section of the land, to make life easier on the sweet pegasus who had worked so hard on making this wall.

The supple icing of loose sand across the parched, packed terrain squirmed and slithered beneath the weight of each tread, his swinging, committed stride stirring as he went plumes of upset dust which danced a low-lying trail in his wake. Luscious, intertwined hues of amber and gold hair dressing and concealing the tip of his long leonine tail, snapped sharply left and right through the rust cloud, like that of an engrossed feline; though Hector was no predator hunting, the stallion was merely surveying the near vicinity as it trickled by their path, with sharp, clever eyes. Rarely did he patrol in such fashion; knees thrusting heavy steps upon the earth while huge flame-flecked wings clutched anxiously, feverishly, to either side of his rocking barrel. It was an unusual feeling, but he was more than content to stroll so primitively in the company of the mare.

In more time than he was used to; but less time still then expected, Hector diligently behind Rasta, pulled alongside the flares of lush emerald fern and ribbon-like palm fronds. A cool shade engulfed them, and the respite from that intense burning nature of the desert was quite instant. The soldier paused to shake the strapping length of his body, though no dust expelled from his sleek canvasing coat while sweat dribbled and draped across it. His full-length, damp mane slapped aggressively each slant of his switching neck, culling the plague of complacent flies which had hitched a ride upon the flinch of his hide. He felt invigorated enough by the welcome change in environment alone, and hastened to reach again the slipstream swirling behind his colleague.

She paused by the lake’s rim, apparently thirsty also. In unison; unintentional harmony, their skulls dropped to sample the finest of the Throat’s elements side by side; the cool crystal water of the lake which was constantly nourished by the sweet, pure liquid coursing through networks of deep subterranean veins below the desert. So unique was the clean taste of the lake, that Hector sank his lips still deeper; savouring the flavour, and despising the filth he had been subject to during his time away. Without his stomach filled, the stallion felt the rasp of thirst dissolve in his throat and parted from the surface prematurely. He simply did not need to drink as much here.

Rasta’s leg struck the tranquil surface around the same time that his face lifted away and the spray cast aside from her small hoof fell also upon the lowest length of one of his own hardy forelimbs. With wavering ears settling curiously upon her, and large almond-shaped eyes wandering to find the pretty face adorning her lean skull, Hector let free a small smirk into his expression; twitching tail all the while, betraying the rare side of mild mischief at his rear.

The pale mare sank innocently enough into the cool cushion of sand beneath them, touching peacefully her pelt against the quiet lap of the water. Everything about her this day seemed so dignified and delicate; quiet and calm. The soldier’s haunches coiled tightly then, as she settled comfortably, wings peeling from the ripple of his damp side in an instant, and he pushed forward into the lake beside her with a heaving grunt. The water was flung both left and right when the mass of his considerable frame collided upon it, hurling over the poor resting Equine an obnoxious wave. He did not pull up quickly after the cunning assault, instead sinking much deeper than she had chosen to, to quell the heat in his body. Beyond the bar of sand offering the safety of a shallow haven, Hector paddled profusely to stay afloat and appeared to glide in a wide circle with all but his upturned skull, unfurled wings, buoyant mane, and tail beneath. Seeking her reaction primarily, he looked to where she had been with a gaze, sparkling and entertained.

[Image: jWPP4oi.png]

How, exactly, it was still hot when winter was coming was beyond the comprehension of my mind as I headed over towards the water with the giant not far behind me.

It was a lovely feeling, being able to accomplish a good task at the time that it was all beginning to actually work out. And, so, with my sight returned I gave a short glance to Hector before dropping my maw into the waters and allowing the feeling of it to cascade down my throat in a relaxing manner. All of my desires quenched at that moment, except to get rid of the burning and scratching my coat was dealing with from the sand that had been sticking to my sides from the light winds.

Figuring a nice splash of cooler water against them would fix it, I allowed a hoof to smash down into the clear liquid, feeling it coat my canons before spreading out to also reach the lower half of Hector's canons in their games. There was a smile on his face as I saw him begin to rear up, playfully at the situation before he came back down to the earth.

Gently, I returned the smile back to him before curling up at the edge of the water, allowing my muscles a chance to rest. It wasn't long, though, before the giant was unfurling his wings and diving headfirst into the lake. The water from his pounding entrance into the water coating me in a coat of the cool, clear liquid and causing me to snort some of the water out of my nostrils.

So, I looked towards where he was in this lake, looking much like a swan on the water with his wings resting upon it as he moved in a circle. My sides heaved as if I were laughing, a wide grin upon my face. It was cute, definitely entertaining. And he was sweet - someone I could see staying around if I felt as though I truly fit into the crowd that I had chosen as my home.

And so, with the sun beginning to set ever so lightly in the sky, I allowed my orbs to shut and my breathing to even out. A nap would be nice, and definitely necessary after all the hard work.

And sleep came relatively quickly to me as I tried to find a way to grieve...

End of thread <3

two feet standing on a principle
two hands digging in each others wounds
cold smoke seeping out of colder throats

darkness falling, leaves nowhere to move

chunga-stock | prints-of-stock