Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali
Alleo
and I know its hard when you’re falling down
and its a long way up when you hit the ground

continuation of this thread.

The night had been uneventful, punctuated with far off howls of wolves and the closer hoots of owls. Alleo had hardly slept, preferring to keep watch over the mare who seemed to have found comfort in him in her time of need. From time to time he would look down at her as she slept, thinking that she looked peaceful and content, so different from her broken and nearly panicked state when she was awake. He remembered his sisters looking the same way when they were younger and tormented by their parents. Only once had he allowed his head to rest on Rasta's shoulder, closed his eyes, and allowed himself an hour or so of uninterrupted sleep so he could allow his body to rest. What good would he be if he needed to protect her and was too tired to do so? When he awoke he felt better and was more alert than he had been before. It was the only thing he could be thankful for from his childhood. He'd learned to live with very little sleep and could function normally.

She was warm, though, and the warmth was comforting and continued to try and lull the stallion to sleep again. He couldn't stand, though, because he'd pulled her close against his side and she was using his forelegs as pillows for her head. Alleo spent the rest of his night fighting the urge to stand and fend off the sleep that his body was suddenly tempting him with and keeping watch over his new-found companion. At least that's what he assumed she would be until Tallsun because she didn't seem to want to leave his side.

His muzzle was resting against Rasta's neck and he was somewhere between awake and dozing when the sun peeked through the trees and shined into his eyes. Alleo jerked his head upward, bicolored eyes squeezed shut tightly against the offending light. It took him several moments for his eyes to adjust to the light and when they were he looked down at the slumbering mare. "Rasta." Her said her name gently and nuzzled her ear before lipping at it. "Time to wake up, the sun's up." He tugged tenderly at her mane and waited until she had awoken and had lifted herself so he could stand. His joints cracked and popped as he stood and he was still for a moment as he waited for the tingling in his muscles to die away so they could begin their journey.

Alleo flicked his tail and looked at Rasta, offering a gentle smile. "To the Foothills?" He asked her just to be sure that she hadn't changed her mind sometime during the night, and only when she had agreed to their destination did he set off at a walk. He wondered briefly if he should tell her to old onto the end of his tail so that she wouldn't fall too far behind and would stop sooner, that way he wouldn't be so much at risk of being dumped into a pool of water again. Maybe one day he would laugh about it, but for now he would just be relieved that he hadn't kicked her in the head when she'd burst from the forest so unexpectedly.

He had decided to take it slow on the trip back to the Foothills, allowing time for them to both rest and eat when they were hungry or tired. He kept the conversation easy, only asking yes and no questions like 'Do you need to rest?' or 'Are you hungry?' or 'Are you feeling okay?' because she had spent a good deal of the day before crying and she had shivered quite a bit before he'd gotten her warm enough.

When they had finally crossed the border into the Foothills, Alleo visibly relaxed and turned toward Rasta. "This is the Foothills." He said, his head nodding in a direction that would lead them farther into the land that he helped to protect. "Do you want to stay here until Tallsun?" For some reason he hoped that she said yes.

"."

@[Rasta]
686 words

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
Flames - they licked the walls
tenderly, they turned to dust all that I adore
The sleep was good. I couldn't recall the last time that I had managed to sleep an entire night through. I would admit that I had felt him move, head resting upon my shoulder, sometimes my neck, throughout the night. I had felt his breath pulsating across my flesh, another small semblance of warmth as my body got too used to the cold to react to the freezing down to the bone. There was no doubt that I was going to get sick from this encounter in the water which I had placed upon myself - I just hadn't expected it to be so cold when I had entered the lake.

It was when I could more warmth against my skin, trying to heat up my freezing body, that I heard my name. My audits flickered a little until they were caught in his maw, being tickled by his lips. A gentle snort escaped from my maw as I shifted my head, rocking my weight a little bit but not wanting to leave the lull's of sleep. But, with the sound of his voice telling me to wake up, as well as the tug upon my mane I rocked my way to my feet and then pulled on his mane with a smile on my face. Gently, I blew into his cheek in a thank you, before stepping back just far enough so that he could get to his own feet. I listened to his joints pop as his large frame finally stood up.

One flick of his tail and a gentle smile before he asked again if it was to the Foothills. I nodded my head. Can't deal with Pegasi, too alone... I thought to myself before following close behind him at a walk. It was slow, but it was just right. Not too fast for me as I got used to the depth of the world around me while I had my sight, but not too slow to where I could focus my mind upon all of the memories that were still swirling around in my brain.

We stopped once or twice, to make sure that I was keeping hydrated. But my body was slowly beginning to become more and more exhausted, everything a bit more labored. Stupid water. I shook my head a couple of times at the question of if I was okay, a few coughs escaping from my lungs during the latter portion of our journey. It was during the last leg of the travel that I was basically walking pressed up against his side, head low, limbs dragging. Sleep. Feel like death... But, if I feel like death it is probably not the best idea to be sleeping, at least not until I had seen a healer...

It seemed that finally we had crossed the border into the Foothills. I could see his muscles much less tense, and his frame turned back towards me, announcing that this was, indeed, the Foothills. He nodded off deeper into the lands before asking if I wished to stay here until Tallsun. Delicately, I stepped forward and merely lipped at his side. With you. It's safer... I thought before I started to cough again, body trembling at the strength of the coughs. I had definitely been soaked to the bone, and my immune system was not used to the water attaching to a thin pelt in the winter. I had always had a thick coat, but thanks to the Throat that had changed.

I lowered my head, eyes falling closed as I pinned my ears back in weakness. I hated not being able to be strong. I hated looking like this...

ali
Alleo

Over the course of their journey Alleo noted a change in Rasta's body language. For having a full night of sleep she seemed to be getting tired quickly and when her coughing started he grew concerned. Occasionally he would glance at her and watch her, nothing the changes in her breathing and the expressions that crossed her face. He suspected that the mare was beginning to get sick from the combination of the cold water, the cool night air, and her very thin pelt. For being a protector he certainly wasn't doing a very good job of it so far. Only a day and Rasta was already getting sick, but luckily they were heading to the Foothills where his sister was a very capable leader and would be able to heal her quickly.

There was a fear, though, in the back of his mind that she would get as sick as he had when he'd been young and forced into the water in the dead of winter.

He asked if she was okay and she shook her head, which made Alleo stop and touch his muzzle against her neck. He was feeling for a rising body temperature and he thought that she felt a touch warmer than she had during the night, but there was no way for him to be sure. He was a fighter, not a medic. He knew how to break bones, how to shred muscle, snap ligaments and tendons, crush skulls, and completely batter a body until the owner of it was unable to rise and continue to fight. What did he know about healing?

Zero. Zip. Zilch. Squat.

The first and foremost thing on his mind when they finally made it into the Foothills was to find a healer for the mare he'd brought with him, but he took the time to welcome her to his home and ask her if she wanted to stay until Tallsun. She lipped at his side and he reached to touch his muzzle to her cheek. "You'll stay with me." He said, finally understanding what she meant by lipping his side everytime he mentioned the Foothills. "I'll keep you safe." There weren't many in the Foothills that he felt would pose a threat to Rasta, but there were the warriors who took their jobs as seriously as he did. When they scented an outsider they would track her and if they found her alone she would be run out of the Foothills. "Stay close to me."

The way her body trembled when she coughed led to Alleo stepping forward, his neck reaching to lay across her back and pull her to his chest until her trembling stopped. "My sister is a healer here." He said matter-of-factly. "We'll have to see her about soon before you get too sick." He wondered what Lakota would say about him bringing another mare into the Foothills, but this one smelling of the Throat and clearly clinging to him like a lost pup.

"."
499 words

He seemed to be watching me closely as we headed back towards his home, taking in each and every change to my demeanor from when we had first crossed paths not even a day prior. As I shook my head in response to the question of my wellbeing he stopped and pressed his maw to my neck. Perhaps he was trying to feel for a temperature, but I couldn't be sure.

As we walked across the border into his lands he asked if I would be willing to stay with him. And, again, I lipped at his side trying to get the message across I believed he had missed earlier. As I continued to lip at his side he pressed his maw to my cheek and said the meaning that I had been trying for in the first place. I nodded my head a little. Yes. Finally! I almost grumbled to myself had I the amount of strength to actually be annoyed by how long it had taken someone who had gotten everything else so quickly. He said that he would keep me safe, and for some reason I believed it even after all the abuse I had lived through for so many years. A gentle tug on his ear in thanks before he said to stay close to him. That I can do... I thought to myself, giving a gentle bob of my head.

Of course, the coughs began to rack my body again and my muscled trembled, weakness taking over my frame from the strength of the coughing. He was stepping forward the instant I coughed, his neck stretching across my back as he pulled me up to his chest again, waiting for the trembling to stop. A few more bouts of it and I feel as though my legs are going give out on me any second, the journey here far more exhausting than it should have been. He says that his sister is a healer, and that we will have to see her soon. Instantly I'm shaking my head, backing away. No. No. I don't need a healer. It's just a cold. I'll be fine! I hardened the lines on my face and forced myself to stand up taller. Look! I'm fine. I'm perfectly fine. Just a cough. It's the foliage. But I knew it wasn't, and deep down I knew that I needed to see one or I wouldn't allow myself to sleep. But I would not be drug to one. I would let myself heal over time...

ali
Alleo

She was shaking her head the moment he mentioned taking her to a healer and that made a stern look fall over Alleo's face as he eyed Rasta. It was almost amusing how she suddenly tried to perk up and pretend that she wasn't sick when he could tell that she wasn't feeling well. Anyone could see that the mare was becoming ill and anyone would know immediately to go see a healer. The worst thing she could do was stay sick and risk getting the rest of the herd ill. Even if it was just a cold, colds were contagious, or so he assumed. Whether or not he got sick was was unconcerned with, but if she got the rest of the herd sick she could face potential outcasting.

Finally he shook his head at her, one ear flicking back. "You're sick." He said in a no nonsense tone. "The night was cold and the water was colder." It had taken far too long for her coat to dry and even after it had dried she'd spent most of the night trembling. "You need to see a healer and you need to rest so you don't get sicker." She would wish for death if pneumonia took hold of her lungs and threatened each breath she took, but from the looks of it he could assume that she was as stubborn and hard headed as Lakota was and he knew it would take a lot of work to get her to see his medic sister.

Maybe he could trick her into it.

"You're going to be stubborn about it, aren't you?" He decided to ask, just to see what she would say or what facial expression she would give him. Shock? Denial? Amusement? Or maybe she'd start coughing and trembling again and he'd just shove her ass off to the doctor.

"."
499 words

A stern look fell on his face the second I shook my head. Apparently I wasn't going to get away with this so easily. Quietly, I matched the slight muscle movements in his face, mirroring the look he gave me to a T before continuing to life my head up, as if I could somehow manage to look the tall stag straight in the eye. I would be fine. I had lived through these before. It was just my body crashing from the stress. It would heal. No one else would be sick.

He shook his head at me, one ear flicking back, before he tried to state the fact that I was sick. Again, I shook my head insistently. He explained the conditions we had been under and I snorted once, pinning my audits slightly. Again, he repeated that I needed to see a healer and that I needed to rest. Half of that was true. I would need rest. But I didn't need a healer.

He asked if I was going to be stubborn about it and I nodded my head. Not seeing one. A quick flick of my tail and I sent a harsh ripple of an earthquake vibration out around me. See him drag me there if he can't stay standing. I pinned my audits a little bit and repeated the motion with my tail, but the exhaustion seemed to only be getting worse. I was coughing again, and this time my legs wouldn't hold me up. The trembling of my own body was too much for me to continue standing. My knees lock, and within a second I've collapsed to the ground, sending another small wave of vibrations, not nearly as strong as the other two, out around me as my tail swept the ground and curled up around me.

My head dropped to my knees, and I closed my eyes, now starting to tremble in anxiety. Fine. Maybe I needed a doctor. But I didn't trust anyone to do anything except prod at me. I just... I couldn't do it. How did I know these herbs wouldn't be poisonous? How did I know they wouldn't just kill me because I wasn't one of them?

It didn't feel safe...

ali
Alleo

At least she was honest when she agreed that she was going to be stubborn about seeing a healer. He didn't understand why she was being so stubborn. It didn't occur to him that maybe she didn't trust that Lakota would actually heal her, but would hurt her instead. Had he known that was her general train of thought he would have jumped to his sister's defense. She may have been a little hot headed, but he had never known her to be one that hurt someone just for the hell of it. Anyone that had crossed paths with her and had gotten hurt as a result had always deserved it because they had wrong her in one way or another.

The stern expression melted from his face as the ground shook. Shock flashed in his dual colored eyes and his gaze locked on Rasta. She pinned her ears and flicked her tail once more and the ground shook again and his look became incredulous. Did she actually make an earthquake because he wanted her to see a healer? It was almost as if he were arguing with a mute, magical foal and getting absolutely no where. He grit his teeth together and snorted his disapproval, but at the same time she started coughing again and this time she sank to the ground as her legs gave way and the earth trembled again.

"I told you so." almost spilled from his lips, but instead he strained his ears forward and looked around. "Lakota!" He called for his sister, his voice strong and calm with only a hint of urgency in it. Rasta had begun to tremble again and just as he had during the night he lay on the ground next to her and tucked the mare in close to his side. "I told you I'd keep you safe." He said quietly. "You have to trust me so I can." Keeping her healthy was part of keeping her safe and his duties had begin the moment she'd dumped him into the water and he hadn't tried to pummel her.

@[Lakota]
@[Rasta]

"."

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
 LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

It's Aodaun who hears the call.

Lakota is asleep, dosing lightly between her patrols, curled up in a small, frail ball beneath her favorite maple tree. It's hard to find, well-concealed, where none of her herdmates bothered to look. Not that they went looking for her often, anyway. Her ears twitch like two black ravens peering around, and Aodaun realized she would not awaken so easily, when it was such a normal sound within the Foothills. Nuzzling her face he prodded her simultaneously through their bond, rousing her quickly since she wasn't fully asleep but merely drifting off in half-slumber. Drowsily she blinked up at him, but he only had to say 'Leo' before she was shaking herself and jumping up, crown swiveling to see if her elder brother was anywhere in the immediate vicinity. Ao's attempts to calm her, declaring that Alleo had not sounded injured, and had not called urgently, did not get through to her very easily. Once he informed her of the direction she was off at a brisk jog.

As much as she trusted Ao's opinion on her brother's summons, she wanted to see for herself that he was alright. It seemed like only yesterday she'd gotten him back, and there was an ever-present, lingering fear that something horrific and devastating would occur to rip him away from her once again. A cruel reminder that her happiness never lasted. As these thoughts swam in her head the medic pushed herself a little faster, anxious, but knowing he would have continued calling for her had there been real trouble. Not that it bothered her any less, not knowing why he was summoning her in the first place.

Then again, she wasn't exactly expecting him to be cradling a collapsed mare in the dirt when she arrived.

"Brother?" she said uncertainly. Aodaun appeared from the foliage behind her, moving to circle Alleo and Rasta restlessly, his maiden's emotions influencing his actions. Without another word to her brother she turned her violet diamonds to the lass he was supporting on the ground beside him. Nothing seemed physically out of sorts, no lacerations or bruises, but internal affairs were still a matter to contend with. Lakota approached the white dove from ahead, kneeling gracefully in front of her, not liking the frightened look in her eyes. It made people dangerous.

"I'm going to have to touch you now, if I'm to heal you." It was a soft warning, gentle even. Lakota had what she called a 'medic mode', where she let the earthly powers take over her, let herself be calm and gentle, sweet and caring. It seemed to calm her patients, and that was all that mattered to her. Reaching out she pressed her muzzle lightly to the other mare's shoulder, breathing deep and feeling the familiar surge of magic like a playful pup within her body. Eyes drifted shut and she began the familiar game of directing the magic through her own body, a conductor, to the one who really needed it. It was easy enough to diagnose the mare once she could 'see' inside her, the faintly glowing 'trouble spots' the only color in the blackness of Lakota's shielded eyes.

Colds were relatively easy to contend with, and she had the sense of mind to soothe the throat of the maiden as well before she retreated, giving her a little spruce of energy that came from her own body, knowing she could not selfishly take that from the Earth. She didn't need it right then anyways, and Lakota could be surprisingly selfless. Standing in one fluid motion she backed away from the two, eyeing them quietly. They seemed...close. Oddly so. There was care and worry in her brother's eyes, even fondness. Lakota gave a sad smile, trying to make it appear brighter than it was.

"I'm sure he's told you already, but I'm Lakota. And this is my companion, Aodaun." The polar prince gave a short bark of agreement, trotting over to sit regally at her side. Lakota awkwardly fell silent then, not knowing what to say to make conversation. She'd never been one for these sort of affairs...

As the ground shook I could see his expression change to one of shock, one of panic. And then the panic changed to disbelief, as if he couldn't understand why I didn't want to be helped, to be prodded and messed with. And, after the second earthquake had started to subside I locked eyes with him, the distrust sliding into my orbs. They'll kill me... I'm not one of them. I thought, locking my jaw and flaring my nostrils to keep tears from falling again. He's gritting his teeth, and he's annoyed.

But my body can't last long enough to actually put up much of a fight, and I'm on the ground in a ball, legs collapsing underneath me. I squeezed my orbs shut, feeling the vibrations as they spread out across the land, sensing the tensing of his ears as he pricks them forward and shouts a name. Lakota. His sister. It was his voice that kept me from trying to stumble back to my feet - to try and turn tail and run.

Of course, I don't think I could have done that even if I'd wanted to, my body was too weak from the travel back to the Foothills from the Deep Forest, and all it wanted to do was lull me into a sleep. So, it was trembling again, forcing my muscles to not give me the allowance to clamber to my feet. Alleo is at my side, pulling me back onto his side in an attempt to keep me warm as I continue to tremble from the exhaustion of my body as it tries to let the cold form into something much, much worse. He said that he'd told me he'd keep me safe - that I had to trust him. And it's those words that make me cry, for had he really know the two hundred thousand years I'd lived and the consistent abuse from those who said they would save me he would understand why I had wanted to heal on my own.

Another couple of coughs and my body is officially falling apart. I'm burying my head against his chest, trying to hide my eyes from the world. It was as if I felt if I couldn't see the world than they couldn't see me..

But, of course the world did not work like that, and as I felt the padding of hooves moving quickly I knew that we would not be alone and that it would take all of me to not send more earth shattering vibrations through the grounds - ones that would actually knock someone off of their feet should they not be carefully planted to the ground they were standing upon. Brother hit my ears and I knew it had to be Lakota, my exhausted mind finally connecting the two. There was some kind of bear beginning to circle us, and I tensed my limbs. Has to be a companion. Doesn't make sense otherwise... I thought to myself, but it still wasn't comforting me any.

Now the bear can just rip my throat out and she can claim it was an accident, let me bleed out before she tries to heal me... I was trembling even more, trying to force my cranium deeper against his chest after peering up at the mare in front of us. She said she was going to have to touch me to heal me, and if I could speak I would have thanked her for the warning. After all, had it not been given there were no promises that I would not have tried to shake her off of her feet, feeling too threatened and to fragile to save myself.

However, as her muzzle pressed against my shoulder I flinched away, leaner even closer to Alleo in an attempt to distance the two of us. A snort of panic escaping my mouth as my eyes opened wider. Let her heal... Just let her heal... I pleaded with myself, knowing I was in need of a healer but too taken by my fears of what she would do because I was an outsider. I was not meant to be here. But Helovia was going to have to be my new home, I had no home to return to anymore..

Reluctantly, I leaned back into her touch, eyes watching her warily as the mare closed her eyes and I felt something begin to surge through my body. God. She's going to kill me. She's going to kill me. I couldn't stop repeating it, but I couldn't jerk away again. But it wasn't just the soothing of my throat and lungs that occurred, I felt somewhat energized in the process as well. It was only when the mare stood and backed away that I actually took in a breath of air and closed my eyes, trying to relax myself from the idea that I was going to be murdered. Memories of my broken back flashed through my cranium and I winced, forcing myself to not cry in front of the mare before me.

I'm strong. I've always been strong. It's not changing...

And she offers her name and then her companion. My audits perk at the word, confirming my beliefs, but it also brings tears to my eyes. The bear barks and sits loyally at the mare's side and I nod my head, my jaw trembling a little. It's not like I can talk. I really shouldn't even try. But, I didn't want to see rude either and be attacked for a lack of manners.

So, upon deciding that this seems to be the better idea, I allow my mouth to open, as if I'm going to speak and then stop short, no words able to escape as I had known. Alleo would introduce me, right? Gently, I tugged on his mane, eyes meeting his as I tried to ask for him to explain this whole thing to his sister because I just couldn't.

And then, I am staggering to my feet again, stepping a few strides to the side so that Alleo can stand as well before bowing my head in thanks, hiding my orbs behind my locks of hair. At least she didn't kill me right there... doesn't mean I'm safe forever, though. Mares hold grudges, and help stags attacks. It was a combination of both that tortured me over my two hundred thousand years...

ali
Alleo

Alleo lifted his head as the distant sound of hooves became evident and they quickly grew closer. Soon he could see the petite frame of his sister and the pale white bear next to her before it disappeared from sight only to reappear behind her several moments later. "Kota." He greeted his sister, but she had already slipped into her medic mode and was looking Rasta over for any physical harm. Aside from the bumps and scrapes she had received from running into trees there was nothing physically wrong with her that he could see, but then again he wasn't a medic like his sister was.

He glanced back and forth between the pale mare next to him and his darker sister. His ears tilted as Lakota warned Rasta that she would have to touch her to heal her and he quietly murmured to Rasta when she jerked herself away from Lakota's touch. It brought a frown to his face and the frown remained until the mute mare had leaned back into the medic's touch and allowed her to work her magic.

Lakota finished and stepped back and Alleo remained laying for a few seconds to make sure that Rasta would be okay. When she tugged at his mane and gave him an imploring look he gently nudged her neck. Soon she had found her feet and Alleo was gathering himself so he could stand as well and when he did he stepped close to his sister, a warm smile on his scarred face. "Thank you, my heart." He whispered as he reached to press his lips to his sister's forehead to show his appreciation of her talents. "And Aodaun." He said to the bear as he reached down to nuzzle the top of his head.

The stallion glanced toward Rasta before looking at his sister again. "Her name is Rasta." He began to explain. "The Earth God is allowing her to quest for a companion and has made her mute until Tallsun." His tail flicked against his haunches as he debated with himself on how much Rasta would want for him to tell his sister, but he kept little, if any, secrets from Lakota. "She normally lives within the Dragon's Throat, but I've invited her to stay here in the Foothills."

"."

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
 LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

Cream canvas flinches away from her, and Lakota's eyes never stray, watching her like a predatory bird. She may not get along well with people, but the poisoner knows how to read people. Rasta does not trust her, and the fear in her eyes is nearly tangible. She doesn't believe Lakota is there to help her. It's not something she knows how to react to, but the familiar desert scent might be another reason why she was so nervous and afraid. She'd been hiding against Alleo's chest like a crumpled, flightless bird. She is one of them, bare in all ways, natural. It doesn't stop the hurt from flooding her chest. For years, it had always been her and Alleo, nobody else. There was a sinking feeling inside that maybe those days were over. Maybe it really was time for her to be on her own, even if she'd ventured into adulthood long ago. She says nothing to either of them as she kneels beside Rasta, trying to keep her distance- not that she seemed to appreciate it- and curing her while she was still somewhat complacent.

Aodaun leaned against her leg, feeling her conflicting emotions. Alleo clearly knew this mare better than she did, and it wasn't her place to intrude. But she managed a smile for her brother when he came towards her, eyes fluttering to a close as he pressed a kiss to her forehead. She didn't respond until he reached down to nuzzle the top of Ao's soft head, whom gave a happy whine and nuzzled back against him. "There's no need to thank me, it was simple enough to do." Frail shoulders shrug themselves awkwardly, hating to hear her brother say those words, even if the affectionate nickname took off the sting.

Rasta said nothing, mouth moving but no words coming out, and Lakota quirked a brow at her until Alleo began to speak, explaining the abnormality. So she'd been right to assume she was from the Throat. Turning away she began to leave, an odd feeling constricting her chest, making it feel like she couldn't breathe, couldn't think. "It's not my place to say whether she can remain or not, Alleo." Aodaun gave a soft whine of betrayal to her emotions, but obediently rose to follow after her as she silently moved back into the shadows where she belonged. And if her eyes stung, at least nobody could see.

He said her name once more in greeting and seemed to look back and forth between the healer and I. As I jerked away, not accustomed to being healed by any means other than some herbs, I could hear Alleo's voice murmuring sweet nothings to me, and with a flick of the ears I allowed my frame to fall back into her touch, feeling the magic as it surged through my frame.

No longer did it feel as though I was going to die from the shaking coughs of my sides that were, no doubt, going to be getting worse. I staggered to my feet after he had nudged my neck, letting me know for sure that his sister was done with working her magic, and quite literally. Her moved over to her, thanking her and giving both Lakota and her companion a sign of affection. She shrugged, her body looking frail before saying that there was no need to thank her. And, as I opened my mouth to give an idea as to why I was not talking and Alleo would be, I only got a quick of the brow.

Then, he looked back towards me before turning towards Lakota and offering up my name and why I was mute until Tallsun. He explained where I usually lived and that he had offered for me to stay here with him. She turned to leave, and as I closed my eyes in uncertainty, I could feel her muscles tensing, body tightening in anger or some other tense emotion. She said that she could not decide whether I stayed or not, and that was understandable. I knew it was not my choice, and that I could not change it.

There was a soft whine from the polar bear pup before it turned and began to follow after the mare. Keeping my eyes closed I continued to feel, to see if she would relax when she was away from me or not. But, something was bothering her and I felt as if I were the cause. So, shuffling my feet I peered at Alleo, one questioning glance before I trotted off after the mare, careful to come from the side so as to not crash into her when I had the desire to stop as I had done with Alleo a few times now. I snorted once, trying to get her attention before reaching out to touch her shoulder, letting my maw brush against it if she would allow for such a thing to happen. My head lowered a little bit, in a graceful bow of thanks, and then a tilt of the head as if to ask what was wrong.

But, of course. She probably won't understand. It took time for Alleo to even understand what was happening. If she was his sister, though, I did not want to cause them to break apart, and so I lowered my head, allowing my ears to flatten out to the side as I peered up at her from beneath the forelock, snorting some of it out of my eyes. At least think this is funny. I mean. I don't do this all the time. I was raised to look regal, to look like a ruler because I had to be one. And at the same time, I pleaded that the mare would not be so sad.

Had she gone through the same things that made Alleo refer to himself as a slave? Or had she just ended up witnessing it, whatever it was...

ali
Alleo

"It's not my place to say whether she can remain or not, Alleo."

There was something in the tone of his sister's voice that stung and it made the stallion frown deeply as he stared after her retreating frame. Had he done something wrong? He remembered their conversation from several days before about how she was used for her abilities, but surely she did not think that he would think she was only as good as her magic allowed her to be? Even the thought that she could think so lowly of him made his heart feel like it had cracked and he snorted to himself. He would have to talk to her later in private and see what her problem was.

But he knew that she had no say in how long Rasta could stay in the Foothills, if she could at all. He felt that Apollo was a levelheaded and open minded stallion and that gave him a little bit of hope. If worse came to worse and they were told that Rasta could not stay then he would leave with her because he had promised her that he would protect her until Tallsun. He couldn't very well act as a bodyguard if he was in one herd land and she was in another.

His ears flicked forward as Rasta left his side and went after Lakota. He took a few steps forward then stopped, his head tilting slightly as the pale mare bowed to his darker sister. Alleo watched, curious at how Lakota would react to someone bowing to her.

"."