the Rift

[OPEN] Star among stars

Serenity Posts: 78
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 7 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Avis

I stumble, and sometimes I fall, but I always get back up. To say that I am timid would be incorrect, but sometimes I think that I give off that impression. Though I have not been in this land long, I often find my thoughts wandering deeper and further into my homeland, the place where I was born. My family said I should not call it home - home was not where you were forced to be, not able to fly. The first time I extended my wings hurt, and the first time I flew I crashed. But, I have no choice.

The second I was free, my family told me to run. I didn't know where I was going, but I found myself here. To stay away from my captors, I kept to the sky, my sanctuary once I learned how to properly fly. I miss them. I feel guilt that I am here now, free, and they are not. More than anything, I want to go back and do for them what they did to me, but I promised that I would not.

So I lay myself down beneath the stars overhead, on a tall, flat land I reached by flight. The grass was sweet, but it was hard to taste over the bitterness of my emotions. With a sigh, I tucked my head beneath my starry wing and closed my eyes, curling up tightly. In the back of my mind, I knew that I was no safer like this, especially not with how I was colored, but the soft touch of my feathers was more like home than I would ever have again.

I had met a few here, but their companionship only made me feel weaker, somehow - less deserving. Often, I worried about my wants and needs. Did I need to be punished for my undeserved escape? No. But sometimes I just wish someone else would hate me for it as much as I hated myself. I am a leaf on the wind, pushed along in the wake of life. I did not forge my own path; I was just trying to stay afloat.

Sleep finally pulled me in until the world grew dark.

I-mi @ Da

Torleik first, then others :: @[Torleik]

STARS FADING BUT I LINGER ON DEAR
STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS
(Please tag me in every post)

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Forgive me if this is short and meh. Just getting back into this and may need to sorta slide into it.

TORLEIK
Long is the winter of a man's soul

The Heavenly Fields. It seemed Torleik found himself here often, for one reason or another: to wander, to chance upon meeting someone, to greet an angry, haughty god, to wander again - and now, to meet someone new once more. This time, at least, he was not alone in his wanderings, since Irelyn flew alongside him at brief intervals. She was growing stronger and was able to take to the air for longer and longer periods of time each few days, it seemed.

Through their bond, Torleik was experiencing the freedom of flight in a way he never thought he would: firmly on the ground, and perfectly safe. It was unsettling, mentally feeling like he could be off the ground, but each impact of his hoof to the solid earth reminding him he was very much still under the influence of gravity. Peering up into starry night sky, Torleik paused, the vast, dark, velvety expanse never ceasing to awe him. Bright, burning stars twinkled like pinned jewels to a dark wool cloak, beckoning him.

If you lived a good life, died a warrior's brave death, Torleik's people believed that you went to a blessed, happy place above this mortal plane, an ever-plentiful pasture, dotted with celebratory halls for the warriors and spacious, covered homes for the families.

"Sky on ground?"

Torleik turned his head when Irelyn's confused question trickled into his mind. Sky on the ground? What was she talking about? Some distance ahead, she'd landed on the ground and was curiously inspecting something. Coming over slowly, peering at the ground lest he step on whatever the owl griffin had found, he halted in his tracks when it seemed Irelyn was right: the sky was on the ground - but also on a horse's pelt. What...?

He snorted and took a step back when he saw it was a pegasus, immediately bristling at the sight of the large, starry wings. Was this an illusion? A trick, played on his eyes? A test? "Irelyn, on me," he said firmly, feeling better once his bonded was on his back. Taking a deep breath, the scent from this pegasus told him it was a female. He could not be too rough, then. Reaching out with his muzzle, Torleik nudged her flank to wake her. When he touched her, finding her skin warm and the intricacies of her scent pleasing to him, he faltered. She was...real.

Still. It could be a trick. An illusion from the Moon Goddess to test him. She was like the night sky, something he closely associated with his favored Goddess. Torleik made a quick decision and put his best hoof forward as the female pegasus stirred. If this was a test, he would pass, chivalrous, helpful and protective as possible.

"It is unlike any females I know to sleep alone in an open field unless they feel they have nowhere else to sleep and no one to be with," he said quietly. "Are you in trouble?" The question was gentle, but probing.

Credits: Image by Flowering Fatality @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Avis

I slept fitfully, which is putting the situation mildly. Sleep eluded me like, well like a good dream. My homeland haunted me in my every waking and sleeping moment, and I could not help but fabricate the punishment my parents went through when I left. Why could I not stay with them? Freedom was an illusion anyway. Was it worth their pain? The pain that I could feel even so far away, imagined in my own mind? I needed a distraction from my own head, but being near others only reminded me of what a terrible individual I truly am.

So, when I felt a nudge at my hip and the soft prickle of whiskers against my hide, I panicked. My wings snapped open as I scrambled, serving as a ballast which picked my body to the ground much faster than other species. Quickly, I scrambled backward, trying not to step on my tail as I pushed my back to the cliffsides, one hoof barely hanging over the edge. If I fall, I can fly. What about you, Mr...

Mr. Unicorn?

Can you fly? No. I am a leaf on the wind and you are a rock on the earth.

A very large, dark rock with wicked looking, spiraled horns and piercing blue eyes. I blinked my own golden orbs which were ironically rather predatory, like a hawk. I was the furthest thing from a predator. I was prey. I eyed him suspiciously, my wings still stretched from my body, prepared for flight. My lips curved into a grim line, and when I heard his words, my ears tilted backward ever so slightly.

Was I that easy to read or was he some sort of magical unicorn? Bicorn? Is a unicorn with two horns still a unicorn or some sort of cow? A big, black, hairy cow. Well, no, that was being rude. Obviously he was far from a cow with how well groomed he was - even his hair was braided.

"No." I answered him too quickly, snorting slightly with my words. I tried to be independent and seem like I knew what I was doing, even though I had absolutely no idea. "I am not in trouble, but I prefer my solitude." I was at least being partially honest there. While I did prefer my solitude, I longed for companionship that did not make me feel like a traitor to my family.

As I eyed him and he seemed safe, I slowly pulled my wings into my sides, head held high as I regarded him in more detail. Why was he up here?

I-mi @ Da

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

TORLEIK

Torleik was taken aback by the swiftness with which this female Pegasus moved as she awoke, but he was not frightened. Irelyn, on the other hand, felt quite threatened and opened her tiny wings to their full span, mirroring the winged mare. It amused the unicorn to see two bird-like creatures engaging in displays of largeness, as if that would suddenly win the fight or make him (or her, for Irelyn looked quite seriously confident in the power of her outstretched wings) flee.

He calmly quirked a brow. Flighty creature. “I mean no danger to you – no more than you invite to yourself sleeping alone, at least,” the dual-horned demon spoke, his humor just a little shadowed in its subject matter. A hint of a frown pursed his lips when he reminded himself this could be a test from the Moon Goddess and he’d best be on his good behavior. The stallion inquired if she was in trouble and the mare responded swiftly with a no – which made him believe she was lying. Still, Torleik listened and cocked his head to the side when the Pegasus claimed she enjoyed her solitude. Maybe she did…but he wasn’t convinced of much of anything that had come out of her mouth so far. Perhaps he was required to be discerning in this test.

“I see,” he murmured, taking a very small step closer. “Well. If you were in trouble, I would offer my assistance, if I could be of any. Preference for solitude aside, a young, fine mare such as yourself should not wander alone. Many males would think nothing of making you their plaything for an evening.” The thought appealed to him in a strange way. She was of the sky and stars, close to his beloved goddess. These signs were on her pelt. A pelt that rested on a figure that was more fragile than that which his people usually regarded as the pinnacle of attractive and healthy, but Torleik felt it was…right for her to appear slight as she did. It certainly made him wish to protect her.

“My name is Torleik,” he offered with a bow of his head. Irelyn did not do the same, having put her wings down when the Pegasus did, but not all the way. The owl-griffin’s plumage was still ruffled and puffed up. She was not convinced this thing wouldn’t attack herself and her bonded. And she rather liked her bonded, as it so happened. The stallion adopted as relaxed a stance as he could, being a warrior like he was. “What is yours?”

No man is an island.

Avis

A small creature peaked up from behind the stallion's head as I jumped to my feet, and I watched locking my hawkish yellow eyes onto the bird-cat. Griffin? I had heard of search creatures only in legend, but the tiny cat with eagle wings and a beak was unmistakable from the description I had heard. She seemed upset with me, as she too expanded her wings, rearing up, but I was more curious now with her presence than offended by her defensive nature. The lore that surrounded griffins where I was raised was mostly positive, as they were the confidants of my captors - however, they were larger and more independent that this one seemed to be.

I would have recognized him easily if he had come from where I used to live. Those unicorns were slender, sleek and tall with delicate features and fine bones, and this stallion was anything but. He was built largely with thick muscles and an abundance of hair that was tied up in places, which I found very smart, actually. Everywhere a band was placed, the hair would not interrupt his vision by getting stuck on his face.

Who was he to lecture me? The way he tilted an eyebrow and rather pointedly commented that I was invited trouble by sleeping alone was irksome. How long had I been running away on my own? At least a year, maybe less, and I had never been interrupted at this elevation by some cow-horned, hairy beast! As such, my expression tightened, and I lifted my small figure as much as I could, tossing my head to display my scoff.

Still, I said nothing to that comment and waited as he responded to my words. Lecturing again? Though the cool tone had an affect on me, as I felt fear tickling in my whiskers. I had nothing to reply to his words, as anything I would see would come off as petulant or too grateful. Sleeping on a tiny ledge on a mountain had been getting old, and this field looked calm enough - was it truly not very safe here? I wasn't sure, but I wasn't going to ask him either.

So, I stood quietly until he offered his name, eyes dancing between him and his very ruffled bird-cat. When he asked my name, I frowned slightly. Should I give him the secret name that my parents had whispered behind closed doors? Or the name I was given as a slave? I needed to choose my identity now - I could not stay the slave forever. Here and now I was who my parents always wanted me to be, so I took a deep breath. "My name is Serenity," I replied firmly, the name rolling off my tongue in a foreign way. Serenity.

I still stood proudly, defensive, but my wings were now closer to my sides. He had offered his name, Torleik, and I had offered mine. We were now at the very least acquaintances. The thought that I might not be alone was a good one this time around. I didn't feel like a horrible, traitorous daughter.

I did not know what it was called, but the survivor's guilt was a plague.

I-mi @ Da

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

TORLEIK

The pegasus tossed her head impetuously at his words and the stallion wondered what sort of explosive mixture this mare's personality would be. The only one thus far that had been - possibly - normal was Brisa. Brisa...I wonder how you fare... he thought idly, trying to keep his focus both physically and mentally on this mare in front of him, for if she was an illusion of the Moon Goddess, it was entirely probable she could read his thoughts.

Torleik regarded the starry mare with wonder when she said nothing to his observance that she could easily be raped by wandering alone, pretty and small as she was. Did this not bother her? Her reaction seemed as unruffled as Ophelia might react to a dark situation such as that. Or, perhaps this pegasus was simply putting on a face, putting up a wall so that he might not read her. Her, or the spectre?

"Speckturr?" Irelyn asked, not understanding this word far beyond her infantile vocabulary.

"Apparition. Ghost. Not someone." His companion seemed to understand that and her golden eyes narrowed more suspiciously at this winged thing like her bonded, but not. It didn't have the things on its head - horns, he called them. But it had wings like she possessed.

If the owl-griffin could have frowned, she would have when the mare's eyes alighted on her once more. "Looking me. No like," she muttered sullenly in Torleik's head and huffed when she felt him softly nudge her with his muzzle. He did that when she needed to be nice. She didn't want to be nice. This thing wasn't nice. Had gotten big and scary and threatening. "...no like." The repeated phrase was stubbornly delivered.

After what seemed like an eternity, the pegasus finally spoke and offered her name in return for Torleik's, and the stallion let out a breath he hadn't been aware he was holding. "Serenity," he rumbled, testing her name on his tongue. "A lovely name for a lovely lady," the stallion offered, the compliment true. "Where do you come from, Serenity?" His question was honest, curious, searching. The rabicano took a small step closer, ignoring Irelyn's audible grunt of disapproval.

She didn't like that, and tiring of his idiocy around the females of his kind, dug her tiny little talons into his flesh. Torleik snapped his head around and narrowed his eyes at her, ears angled back in heavy displeasure. "Ow," he growled.

"You stupid," the companion replied as if it were obvious, preening a few of her breast feathers to visibly compliment how irksome it was to have to point this out to him. So irksome, it made the current positioning of her plumage unbearable. Because his stupidity was unbearable. Could he comprehend that? Irelyn liked her bonded, but he was...she did not have the capacity for defining him, immature as she was - but that didn't mean she couldn't judge him; and she did.

"So kind..." he muttered, glancing back at Serenity. A thought occurred to him and he straightened his posture once more. "Forgive me; I am used to her presence but I am sure you are not: this is Irelyn," he introduced, discerning that perhaps his companion was angry with him because he had neglected to treat her as important in this exchange. The surprised little thrill of pleasure through their bond confirmed that was at least part of it and Torleik couldn't help be further amused at his owl-griffin.

If this was what having children was like, maybe he did want a family. He was enjoying this journey, all the little detours along navigating the maze of being there alongside a youngling as they grew.

No man is an island.

Avis

I watched the stallion interact silently with the bird-cat on his back, ears tilted forward curiously. As they touched each other, I could not help but feel as if I was only experiencing a very small part of a communication that I could not hear. Were they mentally bonded? Was that how this worked? Or did they simply know each other very well? When the time seemed appropriate, I finally gave the stallion my name, my true name, waiting tense as he responded.

He complimented the moniker my family had given me, but I was not sure if he was sincere. Was he trying to flatter me? Was he one of the monsters that he had warned me about earlier? I could not imagine that the cat-bird would stay with him if his heart was that dark, but I was continually surprised by everything around me. Not all of those surprises were good. Especially when his next question came.

I felt my heart seize up in my chest with fear and hurt, and my ears tilted back. Though irrational, I had to question if he knew where I came from, if he knew someone there, and if he was here now to take me back. Was he one of the ones who had hurt my parents. My hawkish eyes narrowed in suspicion, and I took a guarded step back, widening the spread of my dark and blue, starry wings. Fortunately, at the same moment, his cat-bird demanded his attention, and I took a moment to breathe.

He couldn't be from where I ran. He just... he couldn't be. I had come so far. "Far away from here," I murmured quietly in response, finally calming enough to let my wings fall to my side again. "A place to where I will not return." The finality in my words even startled me. For so long the guilt had toyed with me, tempted me to go back to get my family, but I knew that I couldn't now. I could not even be sure that they were still alive.

I tried to hide the emotional hitch of my breath with a rustle of my feathers as the depression his like a northerly wind in the upper atmosphere. When he introduced his cat-bird, I tried to smile, the expression not reaching my sad eyes. I bend a single knee and bowed my head in the manner I had been taught when meeting someone for the first time, black and white mane falling over my face. "Please to meet you, Irelyn," I said quietly, casting a glance at the dark unicorn again.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so suspicious.

I watched him carefully, observing the strong, masculine lines of his features again, committing him to memory. Curiosity struck, and I was powerless. "Where are you from?" I asked.

I-mi @ Da

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

TORLEIK

Being a bloodskald, Torleik did certainly have a way with words, but flattery was not his current intent. He wished to be kind and polite so that he might pass whatever test this was – or wasn’t. The pure suspicion he was met with upon proffering his name and a compliment was unsurprising to him and he patiently waited through her mental and emotional gymnastics, whatever it was she had to do to convince herself to keep speaking with him.

Torleik noted immediately that Serenity’s ears pinned back at his question and his brows furrowed over the two frozen pools that were his irises. Opening his mouth to apologize for offending her, he was derailed by Irelyn’s displeasure and subsequent violence against his pelt. ”Hush,” he grunted at his owl-griffin when Serenity began to speak, listening attentively, noting her wings were finally lowering. She had felt threatened by his question, then, but why? He meant nothing by it other than true curiosity.

His ears flattened back against his skull a little when the pegasus claimed firmly it was a place to which she would not return. “I…feel similarly about my home. Though perhaps that is because I think I cannot return,” he murmured, knowing that it would be far too hard to stomach taking in the sights of his incinerated village. Confused by the sudden, deep sadness in her bonded, Irelyn hopped up on top of his head. Perched between his horns, she laid herself down, thinking maybe if she touched more of him he would feel better. The hurt came from their mental link, and though she wanted to snuggle his heart, his head seemed more appropriate.

A grim smile curved Torleik’s dark lips at Irelyn’s kindness, and he introduced her to Serenity. That the pegasus bowed was surprising to both of them, and his companion was quite pleased.

”Nice me,” she purred in his head, indicating she considered Serenity more of a bird now than a thing like Torleik. He was amused at this. “My bonded approves of you,” he informed their guest with a wry smile. She queried then from whence he had come and he swallowed, averting his eyes to the ground. Irelyn lightly nipped at one of his ears to try to distract him from the pain, nuzzling it with her feathered head soon after. “Northeast of here,” the dual-horned rabicano answered quietly. “It is a place by the sea that no longer exists.” Another reason for his inability to go home. Home was no longer there.

"talk talk talk"
'Mental talking'
Thoughts

No man is an island.

Avis
Serenity
Feel the wind pass through my body, I am one with your soul...

I watched as his ears tilted back, though he did not move aggressively. Instead, he seemed to be focusing on a memory and his words confirmed. He could not go home either, it seemed, and I frowned, understanding better than he might have thought. Physically, I could return "home", but that word was too positive and too lovely to be used for where I came from. The bitter wind sent a chill through me, and I drew my wings closer. My hooves were resting on a light dusting of snow.

"I cannot return home either," I murmured quietly. "I was ordered not to, and nothing is left for me there." Admitting those words were so hard. I had to let it go, but they were all I had, all I knew. How can anyone expect me to let something go that makes me who I am? Without them, I am lost... just a young, lost soul trying to find my way... A leaf on the wind.

I watched as his cat-bird moved onto his head, and I wish that I had that sort of comfort in this world. Instead, I was alone, and I smiled a little bitterly before turning my hawkish, yellow eyes away.

When he introduced me, I bowed, and I assumed that "bonded" meant that he was indeed tied to this creature. She approved of me, which was interesting, and I wondered what she meant by that. I looked at her curiously. Then, I asked him where he was from, and he answered, telling me that it no longer existed. Why? "Mine is still... there... just no longer home," I responded quietly, wondering what it looked like in the Northern parts of the world where snow and water met.

Finally, I realized that I may have extended my conversation for too long, so I opened my wings slowly, looking at him carefully. "Torleik," I said, looking at him, finding his name strange to speak from my lips. Carefully, I stepped backward to the edge of the cliff, feeling my back hooves hover on the precipice. "Good night." My shy voices reaches my own ears and I curse my inability to sound confident.

I make my escape from my own discomfort by falling over the side, wind rushing by my ears and pulling in my hair. Then, I snap my wings open and they fill with air, pulling me from my free fall and gently carrying me down until my hooves were on the ground below. I look up, wondering if I would see his demon horns in the moonlight. I want to see him again, I think, and that surprises me.

STILL CRAVING YOUR KISS

TORLEIK

Torleik watched the female in front of him draw her wings closer to her body and wondered if she was cold. Instinctively wanting to help, he took a step forward, but halted. She did not know him well enough for him to keep her warm. Displeasure showed in the frown that wrote itself all over his marked face. Serenity told him she could not return home either because she was ordered not to, and he wondered if it was worse not to have a home at all, or to have one that could never been seen again. Likely the latter, he surmised. By the same token, however, it would mean his family was still alive and well – just that he could not see them, rather than their bodies burnt and turned to singed flesh, melted hair and scorched bone.

Irelyn gave a small trill at his particularly dark thoughts, not understanding the horrible pictures of death she was experiencing. “I am sorry, little one,” he murmured to his bonded, flicking an ear to her, his attention fixing on her for comfort. Still, his eyes were on the mare before him and he noted the bitter smile and the way she did not look upon them. Why? Bitterness implied resentment, and resentment implied a want for something the other had. What did Serenity want of his? Irelyn? A friend? He could be her friend…

But perhaps she was simply just jealous of his owl-griffin, so he introduced them, complimenting her through his bonded. She reaffirmed that her home was still existing, and Torleik felt a throb in his chest. Home. Such a painful word. “I am sorry,” was his simple, empathetic response. Nothing he could say could make her pain lessen. That much he knew. Ears angling towards Serenity when she spoke his name, enjoying the way it sounded from her lips, he wondered what was going to follow. He hadn’t experienced anticipation like that in quite some time. The Viking’s brows furrowed when she simply took a step back, almost whispering a parting pair of words before dropping over the cliff.

Panic gripped the dual-horned stallion and he lurched forward, unable to speak for that split second of horror that she had fallen, or for some horrifically unknowable reason, decided to plummet to her death. In surprise, Irelyn squawked and took flight from Torleik’s horns, and the remembrance that Serenity had wings struck him just as he peered over the edge and saw her snap them open to glide to the ground below. He watched her look up at him and he wondered why she had left.

Would he see her again? Just like Ophelia, he had not wanted this meeting to end so abruptly – yet it had. Was it purposeful? His desire to see both this mare and the white one was greater than his desire to see any others he had come across. If it was their intention to make him want them, it was working quite well. That irked him, and Torleik exhaled roughly. Was he so easily manipulated? His mother had always said he would have trouble with women because of his kind nature, and he had never believed her. Wouldn’t that allow him to be good with females? Because he was not cruel or harsh or unkind? The inability to define what relationship he had with Brisa came to mind and he frowned. His kindness has enabled that, and now what? They had not seen each other for some time either.

With a quiet sigh, the Viking watched the starry pegasus down below, his murmured words soft but perhaps carried to her on the peaceful night air. “Good night, Serenity.”

@[Serenity]

"talk talk talk"
'Mental talking'
Thoughts

No man is an island.