Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

And please remember me as in the dream
We had as rug burned babies
Among the fallen trees and fast asleep
Beside the lions and the ladies.

[For @[Lakota] ]

How long had it been, since her carefree days, frolicking in the woods with stallions nipping at her heels? Too long my friends, far too long. She had entered this messy place with no family and no direction, and even though the warrior-days of the Grey were over, Phaedra couldn't help but miss them.

Oh, she could have ruled the Foothills, surely. She could have wiped the disapproving looks off of each face that regarded her sparkling physique with disdain. She could have shown them that she was not weak, that she had not been chosen merely because of her beauty and a brief moment of romance with Apollo but...

She hadn't.

There had been a time where her ability to sink into the shadows was heralded as a gift, and her stealthy ways rewarded. Now her absence merely sowed discontent amongst those who called her 'queen', if only to her face. Gods only knew what they said behind her back. But it isn't easy to be the beauty queen. Phaedra didn't select the genetics that gave her lean muscles and pale curls. Perhaps there were some who could fight their lineage - warriors with the bodies of dancers - but not Phaedra. She was built for speed and being looked at; little else. But she had tried, hadn't she?

"Didn't I Stella? I captured one of the most hated criminals in Helovia - Tio. I found a place in the Grey. I defeated Aisha and Archibald's girlfriend - and I didn't do so badly against that long-haired mare during the Invasion, either. I..." With a light sigh, Phaedra cast her dazzling gaze away from the skies. Pinpoints of starlight reflected through the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes.

I am what I am. Why is that not enough?

That called you what you like and even might
Give a gift for your behavior
A fleeting chance to see a trapeze
Swinger high as any savior.

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
 LAKOTA</style>
 my heart is a hollow place for the devil to dance again</style>

Days lengthen with shadows that chase the heels of young babes, frost covers the lips of every mournful exhale, remember the brighter days of summer. Helovia isn't ready to give up the light of day they'd had taken from them for so long. It still seemed too soon. Lakota was unbothered by the darkness that crept like silent predators through the shadows. It was where she belonged, where she thrived, and it was comforting to her to be able to use the excuse of dwindling daylight hours instead of reminding herself that she was sought out only to heal her foolish children of the hills. She loved her little outcasts, but they didn't seem to return the sentiment. Her mood had improved drastically since meeting with Ktulu and Alleo, but it did nothing to change the fact that she was overlooked at all times aside from when her members needed her for a skinned knee or broken bone.

Aodaun was flopped over her spine, and he pulled at her hair gently to break her from her thoughts. Lakota gave a little giggle at him, violet buds turning to gaze at him lovingly. He really was too big for this, but she'd carried him as such since he was but a helpless babe with too-big paws and huge lime green eyes. Heavy as he was, Lakota liked to do this every once in a while. It reminded her of how things used to be. She still wasn't sure if things had improved or degraded since then, but she supposed she was still figuring it out. After all, her sister had disappeared into thin air for the third time, she'd realized how unwanted she was in her own herd when she gave her everything in return to them, and she'd lost Archibald, Circe, and Ktulu. But she'd also grown closer to Alleo, even if it seemed impossible. She had fallen in love the right way, a second time, and Ktulu had come back to her side in a twist of fate she still believed she didn't deserve. But remembering how those rubies had warmed upon seeing her, how Ktulu had held her so possessively, as if she feared Lakota would be stolen away the moment she let go...the memory of the other mare's touch on her skin, the way 'I love you' sounded in her voice...regardless of whether she thought she deserved it, Lakota would never wish it away.

Aodaun seemed far more pleased with this train of thought, but his nose and ears picked up what Lakota could not. Words, and a familiar scent of cinnamon and brown sugar. Phaedra he urged inside her head, and she quirked a brow at his lingering thought that she had a significant smell in his head. She does not, she huffed playfully, she smells like snow and wildflowers. Aodaun was teasingly insulted, having hailed from snowy lands, and shook his head awkwardly against the sapphire portion of her coat. No! Not snow! Snow no smell! Lakota laughed, but didn't give him a response, instead turning to where he mentally directed her and threading through the trees to find her annoyingly endearing little sister.

The words she hears, however, stop her dead.

She stands there, eyes sad, remembering how cruelly she'd treated Phaedra when around Locket. It was wrong of her to take it out on Phaedra, her bitterness. Seeing Phaedra bat her eyes at Locket, remembering how Locket had treated her so sweetly...her heart had hurt. Phaedra had taken Apollo, and Locket...both whom Lakota had tentatively started to have feelings for. Having run into the two of them right after the conflicting fight and makeup between herself and Ktulu...she'd felt sick to her stomach, ugly and useless in the face of someone so perfect and beautiful. It still made her stomach twist, even now, listening to what Phaedra was saying so honestly to her companion.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to summon her courage, and stepped out of the shadows of the trees to confront her Chieftess. It felt wrong to call her such, when it had been her beloved's title for so long, and knowing Phaedra was more of a sister to her than a ruler. It wasn't a confession she was meant to hear, but she felt maybe it was best that she had.

"I have burdened you with my feelings, little sister." The title rolls comfortably off her tongue, but there is a sadness in her violet eyes. She has hardly spoken to Phaedra in many seasons. Did the golden beauty even consider her the same? "I don't know if your worries have to do with how I treated you...but I was wrong to do so. I'm just a broken healer, sister. Seeing you and Locket...it merely reminded me that I am not so beautiful as you. It makes me wonder why the one I love returns my feelings in any way. After all, you have wooed all of the souls I have ever loved," she manages a weak, broken smile. It was a blunt confession, and possibly dangerous, since Phaedra might be able to figure out her objects of affection with her words.

"You are a fine spy, Phaedra. You always have been. You protected us from Tio, told us about the Assassins, stole away those we desperately needed and defended us from others who tried to emulate you. You are a wonderful mare, and...and I am sorry for how I acted. Perhaps I am jealous, in my loneliness and doubt of my beloved. I...I envy you, for the crown you wear, while I am overlooked and only sought out when I am needed, only to be cast away. I was never meant to be a Healer, I only became one because-" she cut herself off, sounding a little choked. I only became a Healer because Ktulu asked me to.

Clearing her throat, she felt Aodaun shift on her spine, and used the distraction to turn her suddenly burning eyes away from Phaedra's perfect vision. Lakota could never amount to that. "Forgive me, little sister. I have wronged you." She whispers it, eyes downcast, burning with a need to dissolve into tears. Knowing she had these jealousies inside was one thing. Admitting them, and her weaknesses, aloud was another thing entirely.

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud

And please remember me as in the dream
We had as rug burned babies
Among the fallen trees and fast asleep
Beside the lions and the ladies.

Our minds can be so fickle, so hard to control. As Lakota's presence registered in the mind of the golden-girl, every fiber of her being suddenly fixated on a way to deny what was plainly obvious. Lakota had misinterpreted her - hadn't she? Of course she had. Phaedra wasn't speaking about herself! No, no! She was...repeating something that someone else said. Er.. Something she would tell someone else...A story she had heard long ago? The dark mare already thought her weak and ill-suited for leadership, but it was the disdain and disapproval that had been so evident only a few days prior, in meeting with Locket, that rallied Phaedra's mind to create a defense.

The two had been close at one time hadn't they? And for that, Phaedra couldn't let herself fall even lower in Lakota's eyes.

...little sister...

And everything had changed. The weight - of leadership, of loneliness, of pretense and the expectations placed upon her - suddenly felt lifted. Tolio was gone, Sohalia was...pregnant again, who knows. Shacked up with her caveman boyfriend somewhere, and her girls had abandoned her. She had no one, save for Stella. Alone in this herd that she ruled, but if Lakota...if Lakota would take her back, as a friend, as a sister, things could be okay again, couldn't they? They could be....like they were before.

As the darker mare spoke of those she had loved, Phaedra's tear-stained eyes glistened with confusion. Not only was the idea of Lakota being in love, something that might have made her chuckle under different circumstances, but the golden-girl couldn't even begin to think of whom she might mean. Tolio was the only one she had ever had persistent feelings for - and she doubted that her cinnamon stallion's antics would be any more well received than her own, in the eyes of the healer. Apollo? It had been a fling...when they were younger (much younger, it felt like), and now...there were only fleeting glances between them. Leadership had pulled them so far a part, that a personal word was never spoken between the pair. Who could she mean? Quilyan? Levi? It just...didn't make sense.

Phaedra might have found the words to reply - might have asked the pertinent questions, like who she was speaking of, the dynamics of the herd...but she found her voice caught up within the confines of her throat, as new tears rushed into her gaze. Starlight feel from her lithe body, as she moved forward, choking back a sob.

Forgive me little sister. I have wronged you.

Phaedra lowered her hornless crown, wanting it to rest against Lakota's shoulder. Her pink lips trembled as she tried to fight to bring the words out, but continued to fail. Shimmering waves of gold fell before her eyes, as she cried into the warmth and strength of Lakota's shoulder.

"You do it." Phaedra finally whispered, unable to say anything more.

That called you what you like and even might
Give a gift for your behavior
A fleeting chance to see a trapeze
Swinger high as any savior.

Image Credits
 HP: 45.5

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
L a k o t a

At first, it seemed the golden beauty did not wish for her presence, though Lakota had been the one to intrude she mused internally. Tension ghosted up her slim frame, and seafoam eyes were turned to stare at her, no longer wistfully gazing at the sky above. The glow of her gaze was more than beautiful and serene, instead stressed and frantic, as if trying to hide something from the sapphire medic. Why would she? She was so gorgeous, and Lakota often felt self-conscious, around her. Normally she was not so shallow, uncaring if she looked a mess, but ever since investing her heart in Ktulu...well, it was easy to see the better traits in others that could easily dwarf the few she had. Taking comfort and courage in the soft click of her clay beads, she stepped closer with every gentle word, not wanting Phaedra to run away from her. She wanted to apologize, show her just how regretful she was for what she had done so callously. But whatever she had said seemed to work wonders on the brilliant sleuth, for her lean muscles relaxed, and her eyes seemed stormy with emotion.

Lakota didn't want her to cry, feared she might. She loved the golden girl far more than she liked to admit, stubborn brat though she was. All she wanted was to hug her close, bonk her on the head, and tell her she loved her. Anything to get that look off her pretty face. But it seemed Phaedra intended to listen instead of speak, gears turning in her head, Lakota could at least see that. But whatever she was thinking, she didn't share, and instead her little spy began moving.

Shimmering as she walked, she was a sight to behold to any, but Lakota wasn't looking. No, she was instead focused on the tear-misted eyes, remaining perfectly still for the maiden to decide on her own what she intended to do. Seeing Phaedra cry was not only a very rare occurrence, but one she didn't like to revisit. It broke her heart to see her so distraught. What had happened to her golden china doll to make her look so sorrowful?

It would have to wait, for the Chieftess lowered her crown to the slightly shorter mare, and Lakota received her touch easily. Turning, she hooked her chin over Phaedra's neck, pulling her closer as tears stained her dark coat. Lakota would let her cry it out, because she knew the importance of it. How many times had she gone to Alleo to cry on his shoulder? It made her heart throb with a pitiful amount of love for the mere child sobbing on her shoulder, to know she trusted the poisoner enough to be this open and raw with her.

Shifting slowly, she smoothed Phaedra's mane idly, velvet muzzle tracing the smooth lines of her neck soothingly. Anything, anything to calm those tears. "Hush, little sister. I'm here, I will always be here for you." She spoke it reverently into Phaedra's ears, fierce and honest. So long as the Opulent child wanted or needed her, Lakota would answer her call. As she always had. As she likely always would. Phaedra had effectively wrapped her around her little finger, but Lakota only accepted it with a gentle sigh. She supposed it wasn't so bad a job.

In Phaedra's sobbing came three words, and Lakota stared down at her in shock. Her? Do it? As in...lead? Be Chieftess? "Phaedra, love. You know I will do as you wish, if you are sure. I cannot...I cannot stand to see you like this. I accept, on one condition." Here, she squeezed the taller girl to her side, stubbornly requesting her presence. Nibbling at the crest of her neck gently, lovingly, she turned to look at Phaedra the best she could, with the golden girl hiding in her shoulder like a foal.

"If I do this...you stand by me as my spy. I trust you, little sister, with my life and the lives of all those who stay in these lands. If you truly want me to take this burden from you...I shall. But you shall not be rid of me so easily, little sister." Her tone lightened, lovingly exasperated. She simply could not have Phaedra leave, she loved her too dearly, still had so much to make up for. Too many had wandered from her side, she couldn't handle another.

In the skies came the sharp cry of a bird, a flaming streak of orange and red across the skies. Frowning as she lifted her head to track its progress, she heard Apollo's urgent call moments later. He must have spotted it too, and recognized a message she could not see. But there was panic and stress in his tone, and she tensed beneath her china doll sister, knowing there was something very wrong. Backing up, she prowled in a tight circle around the pegasus, violet eyes examining every shadow for an intruder to protect Phaedra from.

Briskly she turned to the other fae, pressing her muzzle to her hornless brow affectionately despite her militaristic stance. "There is something wrong. Go, Phaedra. I will search the borders for stragglers. You go to Apollo. Aodaun will go with you, for protection. I will find you," she swore, staring into her eyes, trying to share her strength with the crying child. Whatever was going on, it was serious, and she knew Phaedra would be safer traveling with the herd instead of with Lakota. Nudging her gently, eyes soft, she jerked her head towards the area of the woods where Apollo's call had originated.

"We will speak more when this is over, whatever it is. I love you, little sister. Be safe." Lakota stepped forward to brush her cheek against Phaedra's, and then turned towards the borders, beginning to run. Aodaun stayed obediently by Phaedra's side, looking up at her with bright lime eyes, determination in his fuzzy little face. Lakota had told him to protect her, and protect her he would.

---
Wrapping this up so that Phaedra and Lakota aren't targeted by the wraiths <3 this is directly before Lakota meets Ktulu when Ktulu is infected, where Aodaun will shortly meet up with Lakota (presumably once Phaedra has made it to Apollo/the bulk of the herd) and then will follow her to the Sanctuary.