the Rift

In the Dead of Night

Apollo the Merciful Posts: 251
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 11 HP: 63.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Zola :: Black Cat :: None Sparrow

For One More Day, I'm Not Afraid to Fall

It had been two things that had brought Apollo to this place, leading the ones who would follow him to a place that he hoped would hold salvation. Rumors and circulations of the undead walking the earth, causing terrors unmentionable, infecting others... The thought was terrifying, and the stallion wanted nothing more than to keep his family safe.

That safety had come in the form of a familiar golden creature, flying through the skies of the Foothills. Fina. Ear-splitting cries had alerted the Chief that not all was well, and something unnatural began to well within his breast.

"Brothers!" Apollo had cried into the air, his throat aching from the ferocious, fearful tone that left his lips, "Sisters! We must leave, we must find safety!" Through the hills that he had long protected he had ran, hooves creating a rough staccato against the terrain. To any who would listen the Merciful went about collecting his family, to lead them to this place. This strange, strange place... The most surprising who had come with him, however, was Eytan, the grizzly who shared the other half of Ktulu's soul. There was something off about the brown grizzly, and the lack of Ktulu alongside him was a terror that Apollo had rarely felt before.

God, Ktu... Please, please be okay. He didn't know what he would do if something was to have happened to the dark mistress, but right now, Apollo knew his worry needed to remain on those that he could find.

Fina had led them here, and Apollo ventured into the earthen cave located at the midst of Helovia's Heart, nostrils flaring and honey-brown eyes wide with terror. His ears were pricked and alert, sides heaving in a mixture of emotion. At his side, Eytan ambled into the cave, a mixture of curiosity and sadness resounding within his caramel colored eyes.

"Stay close, Eytan," Apollo breathed softly, glancing behind him to see the others following, "This is where Fina has led us... This must be a safe place." Descending into the cave, slipping briefly in the moist soil and rocks, the black and white overo was enveloped in a strange sense of warmth emanating from the walls of the cave itself. It was a stark contrast to the bitter, Orangemoon air in the above world. As the cave opened and widened, revealing many underground passage ways, Apollo came to a stop and released a tired sigh. "By the Gods... I've never seen such a place."

He was still afraid, still terrified of the change that had come over Helovia... But he knew he had to at least appear strong, for his herd. What could he do? A coward he felt like, but how else could he protect them against the undead?

Father Earth... I'm such a terrible Chief. Forgive me.

[ooc: Ali has kindly given me permission to play Eytan during this thread, due to Ktu's infected state. :D Also, I hope this isn't too.... Powerplay-ing for anyone, as I tried to be as unobtrusive as possible.]

For One More Day, We Try to Save it All

I Just Want You To Know Who I Am

Please Tag Apollo in All Posts!
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Bite into the flesh and draw out the darkness</style>

I feared for her, my companion. We hadn’t an ounce of proof that they were somehow immune to this strange curse—yet, the undead seemed more interested in those of equine origin. Perhaps when they ran out of prey, smaller species would find themselves without hope. As we dared to cling. Hope. This entire fortress seemed build upon the fragile dreams, and lives that rested within. Just as it had been a shield for our ancestors many generations ago. It was hard to not dwell on the horrors above when you were living beneath the fury of a volcano. Though, that didn’t mean our stay in this cave was horrible; nay we had fresh food, water, and above all, safety.

Fina’s screech reached my ears from across the way. I had been traveling across the pit and overheard her cries echoing down—there was loud shuffling and murmurs as my family stirred. “Midas.” She called, “Apollo.” My steps quickened and I met the sweaty wide eyed patched unicorn; recognizing his shadowed frame in the flame light and faint illumine. When we meet I could see just how wide his eyes had gotten, the strained lines of sleep were only the beginnings of hollow circles that would emerge in later days.

Fina had led them here safely and was trailing off to complete her mission, quietly I murmur to her, “Thankee dear one. Thankee.” My gratitude couldn’t be measured.

A calm smile started to crease my face, chasing the dreariness aside and casting the dark corners aglow with fire into a genuine beam, “Aye, I welcome ye—we stand as not only brothers, but true kin now it seems. Our land has been attacked by the undead.” In an effort to solidify our bond my muzzle stretches toward him to brush against the velvet soft hairs of his snout, “They do not descend this place, and there is room and food enough for us all.” So far. Two clans living in one cave. Four? Mayhaps there might be a problem. My gaze catches the dark figure at his side, fresh worry ripples across a hauntingly calm face, “Eytan? Is Ktulu not in company?”

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

They had taken her beloved away from her for the second time. She'd had to run, obeying the wishes of the only other soul she'd allowed herself to fall for without any restraints, as Ktulu was infected by the disease running rampant throughout Helovia. Locket had been by her side, fighting valiantly when she had last seen them, but she hadn't dared to look back since. Aodaun had seen Eytan, tracking Apollo through the wilderness, and together the two had swept the Foothills in his wake of alarm, trying to catch any possible stragglers. Something about Midas, or Fina, and a safe haven away from the wretched creature that had taken Ktulu away from her. Lakota refused to let herself cry, not since she'd first fled. She had to focus on getting the herd to safety, on finding Apollo. Her heart ached; she wanted to scream, wanted to charge back and find that mutant filly and either kill her in the worst ways she knew how, or beg her to turn Lakota into the same monster Ktulu would become. Hadn't she promised to always stay by Ktulu's side, not matter what? But that wasn't what Ktulu had wanted, nor wished, and Lakota knew she had to at least respect the last command her ex-Chieftess had ever given her.

By the time she'd made it to the Heart, it was approaching the second nightfall. Traversing Helovia was no simple nor easy feat, and Lakota had done it multiple times. She rested only when Aodaun begged and pleaded with her, even forcefully bullied and shoved her to the ground until she lay submissively beneath him. When she woke, her gaits were readied, and even in her exhausted state she never slept more than a few hours. Finding Apollo was the only mission left in her head. After completing it, she didn't know what she would do, how she would react, or what would happen. Didn't fancy imagining it either, once she contemplated the agony crawling at the edges of her will.

The path to the Sanctuary was clear, and well-traveled, likely in a hurry. Despite having conserved at least some energy in her flight to the Heart, she couldn't hold back the crazed need to find the only light she had left in her darkness. Alleo and Rasta were safe, she already knew that. But Apollo was the only one she had left, the only friend who had been there with her every step of the way, even when he'd feared her and probably never knew her name outside of whispered rumors. Perhaps she placed her faith too heavily, too quickly, but she wasn't going to change it now when he was her only beacon of hope in a world gone dead with Ktulu's absence.

She half-collapsed into the hole, blearily blinking her eyes and staggering to her feet like a crazed foal. Even the sound of her hooves clicking on the stone beneath her made her jump, forcing her forward and on, terror and sorrow clinging to her frame like a leeching disease. If only she knew how to cure ones such as those. Careening through the half-light of lava and the meager rays peeking through the hole she'd fallen through, her eyes sought out a thousand shapes, muzzle taking in a hundred smells. Foothills scent made her jump with a staccato burst of her heart, delirious hope nearly making her nauseous, only to be disappointed when it was not her Chief that appeared. Aodaun found them first, his heightened sense of smell leading him to Eytan, who he collapsed against without a sound aside from his body thumping against the floor. He was exhausted, having gotten even less rest than his bonded, despite her please not to keep watch during the pitifully few hours she slept.

Lakota swiveled to find him, and when she saw Apollo's familiar sea-green horn glinting in the darkness, inhaled his warm, comforting scent, she knew her task was finished. Uncaring of the pegasi before him- whom she dimly recognized as Midas- she tried her hardest not to slow down as her body realized it didn't have to fight anymore. Fruitless were her endeavors, for she stumbled and nearly fell, which would only have added to the gory multitude of scrapes, gashes, and bruises that decorated her once-beautiful frame. Nothing had barred her path on the way to the Sanctuary, but it hadn't been a comfortable ride either.

Staggering towards him, she couldn't look away from the worried glow of those tired honey eyes, and her mouth formed his name weakly. "A-Apollo," she managed to whimper, and then she began to cry. Lakota rarely cried, if ever, and it was never large, showy, or dramatic. But she stumbled to him and sought to press her head to his chest, or perhaps his shoulder, wanting only to hide from her troubles, her memories and thoughts that betrayed her at every turn. Soft hiccups shook her tiny frame, trying to keep her noise to a minimum, not wanting her brothers and sisters to see her so broken when they needed her so badly. "K-Ktulu," she choked, shuddering in an effort to continue only to begin crying anew. She just wanted to make a blanket of his scent, his warmth, and cocoon herself in it forever so that nobody could hurt her.

"S-She told me to run, and I didn't want to, Polly, I swear! But she was b-biting me and yelling, and that damn thing bit her, and Locket was fighting it and-!" apparently rushing to tell him didn't help either, for she only ended up with a convulsing throat, the words searing her insides like a flame. She nodded towards Eytan, eyes still shuttered to the outside world. "I didn't want to, Polly, I wanted to fight, I wanted to protect her...but she wouldn't let me stay..." the heart-broken whimper was meant only for his ears, her glass-like frame nearly coming apart at the seams with the quaking of her body. Grief was a powerful, vindictive emotion.

"I-I'll pull myself together, I just...I j-just needed you," she cried softly, the corners of her eyes tightening in pain she could feel more intimately on the inside. As harshly as her scrapes and cuts burned, they were nothing in comparison to her heart shredding itself to pieces on the insides of her ribcage. Let them stare, and judge her. Let them call her weak as she huddled in the shadow of her friend and leader. She couldn't care anymore. She'd just lost the best friend she'd ever had, the only mare who had managed to get her to love again, and she didn't know how she could possibly cope with the similarities all pointing to the torture and death of her previous lover.

LAKOTA
quote quote quote

image credits
table by whit

Locket Posts: 74
Up For Adoption atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Teppei :: Giant Panda :: Stormcall Adoptable

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall

He followed.

Running swiftly after the scared damsel, Locket does not rest even when his muscles tire. He runs for her, forever in her shadow. His mind does not process the events that occurred moments prior. Ktulu was attacked by a monster... a monster. Locket wanted to hide away after seeing his once strong and brave leader fall to a small child with mutated limbs. The images that replay in his mind make his spine tingle and gut churn. He does not call out her name, instead follows her silently, a mere shadow in the nights, a leaf upon the wind.

She leads him to the Heart, sweeping into an area he has never seen before. A hole had opened in the Heart, revealing an entire underground channel of twisting tunnels and massive rooms. Locket watches the roan trip, hurrying to get to her hooves before marching onward. He makes his way down, hearing her begin to speak. She calls for Apollo, the chief who leads beside Phaedra. Pale auds are set forwards as he spots Apollo and another stallion, one with wings dipped in gold. Flames flicker on his hooves and the edges of his wings, making Locket take a weary step forward. He goes to place his muzzle upon Lakota's shoulder, a sign for her to calm herself. He listens to her stutter as the spits out words far too quick. "Calm yourself, sister." He murmurs to her, raising his head to gaze at Apollo and the stallion. "Sir, a... monster.. attacked Ktulu. It came in the form of a smelly, rotting child with spindly legs sticking from its back and eyes of four. It.. it turned Ktulu into one of its own..." Locket tries to keep himself calm, not wanting to show how much fear was collected within him. He watches tears begin to run from violet pools, and he wishes to step in to reassure her... but it wouldn't make a difference. He knew she loved the Constrictor... and he slowly began to accept it (although he didn't want to). Locket glances at Eytan, his former chieftess's bear. A frown finds its way to his pale lips as he sees her strong and beautiful before a herd of mercenaries. The image in his head fades to a broken mare who, like the rotting child, has become a monster that eats the flesh of others. "Not even the herds are safe from these beings.." He mutters to himself, fear prying at his mind. He pushes it as far as he can, standing tall and showing no signs of fear. He would stand strong for Lakota... and for his lost leader.

"talk talk talk"

xjrlokix.flickr

Locket talk :: L = R

A familiar voice came to him like the sweet embrace of a loved one, causing him to snap out of his depressed reverie. Apollo's head shot upwards, honey-brown orbs searching the dark confines of the cave, but there was no mistaking the sight of the mighty Pegasus who approached. Midas. Oh, thank the Gods... Immediately Apollo outstretched his muzzle towards his blood-brother and long-term ally, nostrils flaring as he attempted to drown himself in the Sultan's familiar, comforting scent. Midas was here, and he would make everything better... Or so the Chief hoped. Their touch sent warmth and reassurance filtering through Apollo's bosom, causing his panic and fear to lessen, albeit slightly.

"Midas," the Sultan's name was breathed out on a long exhale, as if on a prayer, "Thank the Gods you're alright. I was so scared, so worried... So few have followed me here." The painted stallion swallowed thickly, troubled orbs once more flicking back towards the entrance of the cave and the way that he had come. "Did... Did you send Fina?" A dumb question, for who else would have? "Thank you. I've heard rumors, of these 'undead' walking among the earth, but... I didn't want to believe it." His nightmares had come true, and it was a hard fact for Apollo to accept.

"Is... Is your herd alright?" They had never finished making a pact, Apollo knew, but Midas was his friend, his brother, and by association, Apollo fretted for the Sultan's herd, as well. "Did they come?" So many questions he wanted to ask, but Apollo knew that they didn't have time to cover everything. When Midas spotted and inquired about Eytan, and thus Ktulu's whereabouts, Apollo's gaze shifted away with guilt, settling sullenly upon the earth at their hooves.

"I h-haven't seen her," he whispered shamefully with a tinge of fear, "Eytan found me as I was rallying those of my herd I could find, but of Ktulu, I have... I have no idea. She's strong though, yeah? I'm... I'm sure she's fine." Apollo's words, however, sounded more like he was attempting to convince himself than convince Midas.

God, Apollo, get ahold of yourself. You're acting like a fool!

Sucking in a long, deep breath, the Merciful allowed his eyes to fall closed as he tried to rein in his terror. This was a terrifying situation, but panicking would do nothing to help. He needed to get control of himself and his emotions, to think like a leader would... Like Midas was. Clearly and rationally. Apollo's eyes snapped open and those words were forgotten, however, as he heard a sudden commotion come from behind them, towards the opening of the cave, and Apollo whirled to face whatever had just, quite literally, stumbled into their sanctuary. Newly uprooted fear stole away any form of recognition, and the stallion tucked his head, horn pointed towards the threat... But a sickeningly familiar, desperate cry of his name snapped him out of it.

'A-Apollo!' Lakota. It was Lakota. The overo opened his mouth to speak, to ask her if she was alright, to see what had thrown such a terrified, heart-wrenching expression upon her face... But before he could, Lakota had stumbled towards him and pressed her body against his, seeking comfort and solace. Warm wetness soaked through his fur upon his shoulder, and Apollo realized with growing dread that she was crying. Crying. Lakota was crying. Strong, resiliant, fiery Lakota... Was in tears. Like the sight of the undead, Apollo didn't know how to swallow this new event. Behind her, Locket came, a brother who had served in the Grey as well. They were not as close as Apollo had grown to some of his brothers and sisters, but Locket was still family.

"Kota... Lakota, dear sister, please... Wh-what happened? What's wrong?" But it took no time for her to choke out the one thing, the one name that caused a frozen hand to grasp Apollo's heart. Ktulu. Oh, God.

Near frantically Lakota relayed what had taken place with Locket's help, of the battle that had transpired in his absence, and slowly the missing pieces of the puzzle regarding Ktulu's whereabouts began sliding into place in the stag's mind. Honey-brown eyes flitted to Midas to gauge his reaction, and with gentle affection, Apollo moved to lip gently, lovingly at Lakota's neck. "Shh, Kota," he whispered, swallowing past the lump in his throat to speak, "Shh. Peace, sister, peace..." Normally, Apollo would be seeking such comforts from Lakota, but right she needed a pillar of strength, and he was willing to be that said pillar.

At Apollo's side, a soft, heart-broken grown rumbled from the pit of Eytan's belly. The chocolate grizzly was troubled, there was no doubt, and Apollo finally understood why.

Ever so gently, Apollo turned his head to brush his cheek against Lakota's shoulder, but his eyes sought out Locket. "This... This isn't good, but... If something has the ability to turn our loved ones into these m-monsters, then there is certainly something that can turn them back. Right?" Looking away from the old executioner, Apollo's gaze landed on Midas, but he continued to press himself against Lakota, her trembling body sending tremors through his own. If she needed him, then Apollo would give himself to her in any way that he could.

"Brother... Do you have any idea? What we can do to... To stop this?"

[ooc: I'm just gonna say that posting order is a lie. xD]

Arrane Posts: 127
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 5 years
Orinthia
Monsters. That's what those mutilated bodies with rotting flesh were. Disheveled monsters that fed off the flesh of the living. The strong warrior, a stallion who never showed a hint of fear, or cried, had tears fall that day. He thought those creatures had consumed little Abishia, and Boa. Well, eventually the ivory mare was infected, causing the stallion to run with terrifying images of the gentle woman. Arrane was panicked. He had never witnessed something so gruesome--so stomach churning. It was because of those monsters, dry stains marked his snowy face, and the reason behind his upset stomach.

He was unable to defend the two, like a coward because he couldn't win against the beings of darkness. Arrane was going to fight, even if it was to the death, but Boa had told him to run. The stallion sought to show her a way back to the Foothills, but she had come too late for Micha, the monster of a filly claimed her as one of them. Swallowing, a loud gulping noise resonated as he ran aimlessly. The Foothills horses started vanishing or turning into those monsters, and Arrane escaped, but not after sounding a warning that they were within the territory.

Blood, dirt and cuts stained his snowy pelt, and he only hoped that Abishia--not only her, but the whole of Foothills was okay. But where was he running to? Aimless in the vast lands of Helovia? His body started heaving with effort, cyan eyes clouding after never slowing his pace once. His head was spinning and at last he saw familiar figures at the entrance of a gaping cave. He tried to make a sound, but it choked in his throat with the effort it took to continue galloping.

Tears could no longer sting his eyes, and a pain spread throughout his rib cage, constricting his chest and lungs. Hiccuping sobs were finally heard through ivory ears, and Arrane halted before four of his brethren. Panting and harshly breathing the world spun, sensing the grief that encircled them. "I-I was coming back to the Foothills with new recruits", brimming at his lids was the soft touch of water. "We were attacked by two different wraiths", voice cracking, hoarse from his exertion, Arrane continued.

"Those monsters...they...they turned one of them in front of my eyes...I-I", the laid back man felt sick. The horrendous stench of death would never be forgotten, as with the disturbing images that raided his mind. Trying to control himself, the man began deeply breathing in and out, slowly, shutting his eyes. Arrane needed to compose himself, the warrior who offered his shoulder for anyone in need. At last, his panic subsided, but agony still throbbed at his heart. "If you fight them, you'll be ripped apart and turned into one of them. Fighting is out of the question", staying hushed after that, he knew he wasn't the one asked.

But the ivory stallion was here to help. Whatever his leader wished of him, he would do. "Apollo, brethren. Words cannot explain my happiness that you are alive", feeling sick once more, remembering the two mares, he forced himself to continue. "I am here to offer myself, to help in any way I can".
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

He returned my gesture and I felt heart beat more warmly as its result. I wanted to smile at him, chat about our recent ventures and discoveries. But those days had passed, and the troubles in his eyes and face made any happy expression that would have formed sink into a deeper frown. The darkness was spreading, and his herd was nearly as scattered as mine— “Aye,” I replied softly when he asked if I’d sent my companion to warn those who called us brother.

It would be easier to wage war against the undead when you had brethren at both sides; our weakened families wouldn’t be enough by themselves. “What remains of my brethren are doing as well as they can,” troubled pools shift sadly to those that have huddled in nearby corners. Scared little fillies and colts pressing against their dames with raw terror keeping their eyes wakeful. Stallions quivering with fear of a certain death that likely lingered on outside of these lava walls.

“We gathered as many as we could. Some were collected…and later succumbed to the disease, and others haven’t yet been found.” There is heaviness and a strong surge of sadness lingering on each word, my body subconsciously stiffens when a mare leaves the group and approaches from the faint light. Her face is distraught and very near the point of breaking apart like a fragile porcelain doll. Apollo answers my question in a way that brought no comfort or assurance, my eyes rose from the kin that stood around us and feel upon him in a manner that could only be described as searching...peering for some sign of hope.

Pitless gaze hardens when I find none.

The mare came forward, her eyes swimming and downcast. Attention is instantly drawn to her words that dashed any remaining hope from the hidden corners of my heart. Ktulu had succumbed to this darkness and now she was one of them. A dead thing given life absent true heart. Truth spilled from her lips, and struck me dead silent. Anger pooled, then simmered until sorrow was birthed in a mixture of grief.

A cure…Apollo suggested, and I resisted the urge to scoff because I wasn’t entirely sure if he mentioned it to comfort the poor lass or simply because he actually believed that the cursed could somehow be repaired. Magic works in strange ways; maybe there was a way to mend their broken souls and erase the darkness that had consumed a soul. It seemed almost like a foals dream to hope for something that might be impossible.

She is dead.

Apollo turned his sad and confused gaze to me, looking for guidance—perhaps some genius wisdom that would keep us all safe and warm in our beds tonight. In truth, I was just as horrified and upset as any who stood by…but when the patched warrior met my gaze, it took on a facade of utter calm, like the chill before a storm, “We must harness our strongest,” I began quietly, though loud enough for all in company to hear, “Fina will attempt to reach those in the Edge and maybe a few that remain scattered in Asylum. Then…we can attempt to push back.” A wave of fresh grief slides into place, and for a moment it lingers until I’m able to speak again. The words that come forth are tight and harsh, “And either put down the undead darkness that walks our world, or force a cure.”

Another fellow emerges from their ranks, he offers his testimony and aid, “Yar, stand true brother. Help your brethren get settled here; if you’re a talented in battle seek Guacho. He is organizing warriors to make a stand against the darkness.” My gaze turns back to the king of the Northern hills, “Apollo, lend me your healers if ye will? Ours remain absent and I would have them start working on a…remedy for this…as soon as possible.”

Tharos Posts: 37
Banned atk: 5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hands :: 9 years old HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Loon

You're the only North Star I would follow this far...

"I can talk the talk"
And walk the walk
But I'm always in deep thought.

He had been brought here- dragged, really, by an impulse that even now seemed foreign to him. He had been in the depths of the underground caverns, and had found an orb of blue-white electricity. Others had come, and even though in his heart he had felt like the orb was meant for him, it had chosen another worthy. Far from feeling bitter, the stud felt strangely free and somewhat baffled, to find himself underground in a system of caverns. It felt like he was waking from a trance and could not remember where he was or how he had gotten here. He explored the caverns for sometime, attempting to find a way out and eventually getting so turned around and lost that he was not sure, should he turn around and go back the way he came, if he could find the cavern with the granite pedestal a second time.

His hooves clicked against the stone, the tips of the feathers hanging around his hooves were wet and clumped from the slick, dampness of the cavern floor. The grullo traveled in silence, his ears pricked for the sound of others, and even though the silence was almost pressuring him, it was broken by the thin trickling sound of water running and dripping into pools on either side of the trail that he followed. His only companion was the warmth of the volcanic earth, and the sound of his own breath billowing from his nostrils.

It was the breathing that alerted him- he stopped as he became aware of the scent of horses, and it was one in particular scent that sent a spark through his mind and heart simultaneously. Foothills. Artemis! okay sure, he may be dreaming- after all, he had already told her his feelings and she had brushed it off as though it were nothing. He had accepted that she may not feel the same for him, although he would NEVER stop worrying about her, caring for her, and wondering if she was alright.

The need to see her face again is what made him pick up his pace, his hooves slipping a bit on the slick stone floor. He trotted to the opening that led into a massive chamber. Horses lined the walls in groups of four or less, and Tharos stopped once more with his front half standing in the chamber and his back half still in the chasm behind him. Mismatched ears pricked forwards as he saw a new group of horses enter into the chamber, the stallion in the lead sent chills through Tharos and he could almost feel the scar on his chest tingling as the memory of how it had gotten there and what had almost happened to him, flashed through his mind.

The second stallion to meet the first caused Tharos to pin his ears. Both of them. Together. Here. Why now? Tharos did not have time to cry out or do much more then hesitate. (Would they attack him again?) A mare came and pressed herself against the overo's shoulder, even from this distance, he could see her shaking. The poor lass was pretty shaken about something. The cavern worked to amplify their voices so that he could hear what was being said. Monsters and darkness had stolen over the land and had changed Ktulu into one of them.

He did not know Ktulu personally, so the news that she was now one of the infected did not phase him by much. What spurred him to approaching the group was fear. Artemis was in the Foothills. If she wasn't with the group that came here, then where was she? By the gods, let her be alright! He thought. Suppressing an involuntary shudder, he approached the group gathered and silver-blue, pupil-less eyes blinked as he stared directly at the Overo who was now the chief of the Foothills. He was so worried for Artemis that he could almost swallow his dislike of Sultan and Chief gathered in front of him.

"Apol-lo." His voice broke, betraying the emotion that was filling his stomach with dread and gripping his heart in an aching agony. He regarded the unicorn with a look of contempt, but kept his speech respectful for the sake of the situation. He paused to recollect his thoughts, getting emotional was no way to make an impression, and in these dark times, he would be no help to anyone if he broke down. He searched the faces of the horses that had followed Apollo in, and when he could not find Artemis's beautiful face amongst the crowd, he glanced once more at Apollo expectantly.

"Where is 'Missy? .... Where is my beloved?"

^^;
Credits

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

It was madness that drove her from the beach, where the blue, glittering waves rolled endlessly into the horizon to sink the sun each night. As distance filled between her and the rising wall of shadows however, her pulse began to steady and her rationale resumed its seat amid her consciousness, her breaths slowing and her wing beats with them until she soared steadily beside Mesec to the Foothills. All she could think the whole way over was how she could have been so blind to this rising tide. Mesec spoke of it with a greater authority than she and she wondered just how many lands and souls he had seen consumed, and then how many more he hadn't.

What was this thing?

She shuddered involuntarily, wondering if it had a mind and could sense when it was being spoken of, thought of, feared. Ampere was not often afraid of things and even less often would admit to it, but she found no bravery in pretending this faceless opponent of smoke and evil did not terrorize the very core of her heart, even more so than the never ending night. This was different. This was sinister.

As the rolling hills came into view others were seen departing. She glanced at Mesec, still in the lead, blue watching his black body shoulder the wind and change course to follow the rest of his herd mates in what could only be an evacuation. She was depending on him more than she ever would like, but she hoped he would not leave her side. Now least of all did she want to be alone, especially among a herd of a strangers who well might kick her out when they faced enough threats and troubles of their own. She pressed such thoughts from her mind as their hooves touched down in the Heart, the hidden entrance to that cave she'd stumbled into a while ago wide open now with so many coming and going.

Ampere gulped, not relishing the idea of being in a cave, of being trapped or cornered. If the shadows came, where could she fly to? Hesitating she looked to Mesec before ducking into the tunnels, finding strength in him in this turbulent time. Voices echoed through the caverns, placating the wildly beating heart Ampere kept in her throat.

She heard some of what Apollo and Midas were sharing, two horses she didn't know among so many more. It was all still confusing, so for the most part she remained quiet, lingering beside Mesec, yet as always her voice ran away from her.
"I'm Ampere, of the wilds. The Endless Blue was being consumed when Mesec and I fled." She tried to sound brave, her features pulled into something stern and unyielding as she surveyed the masses. "Where are the warriors? Can this even be fought?" She asked of no one in particular, blue eyes searching those gathered, titles forgotten in this crystal-lit kingdom where they all bore the name refugee.
Ampere was reminded of the battle against the fiery creature in this land those seasons past. It had seemed impossible, its might great, but together they had conquered it. She'd fought alongside strangers then, she could do it again.

Gaucho.
That name flickered in her mind, but was more easily pushed out of her thoughts with Mesec's warmth beside her and his smell mixing in her nose with every rushed breath she took. A boy born of the moon, what better to help lead the charge against darkness?

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Guinevere Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Action | "Speech" | Thought

What a cruel joke this world was playing on the mare who trudged at the back of the ragtag group plodding behind their leader. The reason she was lagging behind was because the exhaustion from her long journey, the terror, the grief, the birth of a dead son, and the disease which festered in her blood had really bitten a chunk out of her stamina. Since being whisked away with her mother, she had scarcely rested but to dream and when she dreamed, she was tormented. she had followed Alleo to his homeland, looking forwards to some medical treatment and some good rest. However, she had barely stepped foot in the herd when they were forced into exodus by this mysterious, sinister shadow and the undead that crawled out from it's wake. she was already infected with a different kind of disease- she didn't feel like being infected a second time.

Still, as the group came to the caverns, she actually managed to pick up her pace. Unlike the others, Gwen was right at home in a cave. true, the caves she'd been born in were at high altitudes- mere crevices where her pegasus kin could rest, birth their young, and find sustenance. Still, she relished the cool, darkness of stone enclosing her. Being born in a cave, she was reminded of her home. She paused to catch her breath, which wheezed slightly in her chest. The warmth of the volcanic stone seeped into her bones and eased her aching body as she rested against it, sliding down to the floor and letting her legs curl up under her body. She felt like she could not walk another step- she'd been at her limit before, but this was where she drew the line.

She refused to get up, even when another mare and a stallion stepped passed her and her ears drooped, wings folding against her sides. She looked like a roosting bird- almost falling asleep where she had fallen. Her head stretched out in front of her and the clink of metal on stone sounded as her mother's pendant rested against the ground in between her front legs. She lay there, her eyes closed, her ears pricked to catch the conversation. Her heart went out to the mare- she did not judge the quiver in her voice. She knew the crushing agony that often came with loss. It had a habit of consuming all other thoughts, desires, needs... until one could do nothing but cry.

She had felt that way once before- the loss of her mother was still a sore spot for the mare. Still, she did not open her eyes to look at what was going on and instead let her labored breathing calm itself into deep, calm sighs. Maybe... when she was.... rested she could.... find a medic.... and- snore.

pfft, Gwen. Blocking the entrance with your sleeping fat ass is really inconsiderate. xD

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Tucked close against the warm side of her friend, her mind slowed, inhaling his familiar scent like a frightened babe might that of its mothers. She shuddered against him, consumed by the sight of her beloved bleeding and cursing at the demonic child that had attacked her. Soft voice touched her ears, shocked and surprised, and she knew, she knew damn it, that she should be the strong one here. Wasn't she the warrior? The one who was supposed to be his pillar of support? It had always been her, though, and she could hardly manage that right now. Just...just a few more moments, she told herself. Locket is her only help, adding his words to her distressed cries, her attempts at spilling what had transpired. Without him, it was unlikely they would have even understood what she'd been saying. And Locket, dear Locket...if he had not been there to help push her away, would Lakota be back there, consumed by the darkness spreading through their ranks, stuck in half-death with Ktulu? She had so much to thank him for, but it would have to come later, for she was soon distracted.

Apollo listened to the two of them, not that she would know with her face tucked into his shoulder, hiding away from a world she wanted no part in. The poisoner knew the world was cruel, but she had never thought...never dreamed, that it could be this heartless. Her love for Ktulu demanded she not consider her lost, or dead. She was too stubborn to accept something like that. Too devoted. Her sobs dwindled to soft hiccups under Apollo's soft affections, lifting her teary violet gaze to his warm honey, taking strength in the support she found there, quieting. He crooned at her softly, and she leaned her cheek against the junction of his neck and shoulder, staring up at him and nodding submissively, obediently. His cheek brushed her shoulder, and she turned to hide against him, taking deep breaths. She'd had her moment of reprieve, of safety. Now, it was time for her to be strong again. Taking strength in the soft rumble that shook his chest with each word, she inhaled deeply. It was time.

Her lips trailed against his skin in gratitude as she pulled away, her eyes seeking out his. We will talk later, she mentally sent through her gaze, before turning to meet the eyes of those around them. She took a deep breath and her tears were banished to the back of her mind, refusing to be weak any longer. Ktulu and Apollo...they needed her to be strong. She may not feel it, but she had to do it. For them.

"The message has reached all the central herds, from what I know. I'm not sure about the Basin. It is a slow process, a long journey, so the warriors shall come, Ampere. They will be here to fight. But I am not sure if it can be fought...for now, they seem to be unable to enter this cavern...this must be our stronghold." She shook herself, lifting her head high, and took a few steps away from the painted stag she'd sagged against earlier. They must act. If she had to inspire them to do so...well, she must try at least.

"Our Oracles. They will have to find a place to pray. We must receive words from the Gods. Perhaps they will tell us how to fight them. To those who have explored in these caverns, is there any place that holds magic? Any central point of celestial presence?" Her gaze raked across them, ready for an answer, should it be forthcoming. Her brain worked on overdrive, seeking answers.

Then she heard Tharos, and her eyes softened in understanding, knowing well the loss of a loved one, the uncertainty that came with it. "Artemis has not appeared, I do not know if she was with Phaedra and Aodaun when the Foothills evacuated. I will send my companion the message, ask if he will look for her." It was a soft promise, meant for his ears, hoping to comfort him. "For now...we must both be strong. All of us, in fact. We must hold strong and keep faith. The Gods would not willingly abandon us again. They will help us find a way to fix this. Hope is a powerful thing, so keep it in your breast, and fix it there."

Midas spoke then, and sadness filled her features. Had Phaedra relayed her decision to Apollo? Surely he would believe her, right? "I am sorry, Midas. My medic abilities, they have been taken from me with my promotion." Her stomach felt queasy, knowing she would have to address that now...mulberry eyes turned to Apollo, hoping he would not be against Phaedra's decision. She hoped not...she needed him now, more than ever before.

"Phaedra has resigned. She begged me to take her place. I agreed, with the promise that she would remain our head of Intelligence. If there is nobody who wishes to refute her claim, I am now the Chieftess of the Foothills." It rang like a death sentence in her head as she said it, but she continued on, not wanting to hear the doubts in her head contesting her words. "I am not sure if herd-based healing will continue to work, Midas, as we seem to lack the lands that tie the magic to us." Her gaze sought the golden man, now, as she spoke this. Having no words left to reply to, she falls silent, and turns her head hesitantly towards Apollo. Would he approve of having her as his equal? Or did he wish Ktulu were there, instead of her?

Lakota wouldn't lie, she wished that too.

LAKOTA
quote quote quote

image credits
table by whit

Apollo didn't mind in the slightest as Lakota kept herself pressed against him, quivering with fear and emotions that he himself could only dream she may be feeling. Fear, sadness, heartbreak...? He wasn't certain, but Apollo would his beloved Poisoner all the time that she needed to compose herself. They had been through so much; she had saved him and Phaedra, they had experienced the rise and fall of the Grey, the pain of loss and swelling pride of success. Brother and sister they were not in blood, but in kinship... They were.

Others joined them but the Merciful paid them little heed, all save the draft-mutt stallion that took Apollo a moment to recognize. Who? Still, it seemed that Lakota recognized him, and perhaps that was for the best. It was Tharos, the stallion that Apollo had fought when the Grey had taken the Foothills... But the overo Chief felt no bitterness towards the other male. Now was not the time for past grudges or belittlements, so he simply let Lakota speak for him as she finally pulled herself away.

His honey-brown orbs lingered upon her beautiful violet, and beneath her emotional gaze, he read her silent message loud and clear. Of course. He responded with a simple dip of his head, miniscule to any other save the loyal Poisoner. As she seemed to gain control of herself, Lakota spoke more, talking of their Oracles and... Promotion? What? It was with a mild jump of fear in his heart that Apollo learned of Phaedra's abdication of title of "Chieftess", but... If she had surrendered her spot to anyone, Apollo was glad it was to Lakota. Fiery, loyal, and driven by kinship she was, and he believed that she would be a fine leader to call Chieftess.

"Your promotion is welcome, sister." Apollo breathed out gently, letting the Poisoner know that all was well. Indeed, there was a lot that he and Lakota needed to discuss. Away from prying ears, of course.

"I can still heal," Apollo commented idly, finally tearing his gaze away from Lakota's lavender orbs and focusing on the others around them, focusing on Midas, "A gift I received many moons ago. Midas, do you remember? I am no longer a Medic, but I can still doctor any in need. It would be my honor to do so, brother." A small, short whuff of a breath escaped the Merciful's nostrils, and he reached out once more to nuzzle Lakota's muzzle warmly. He was glad she was here, with him, in such a tumultuous time. Perhaps together they could help each other survive.

"I have not seen our Oracles, but I pray they've made it safely. I agree that... If we can, we should seek guidance from the Gods. I can only pray that they'll hear our pleas." He glanced around once more and turned his head to Midas. "I am no warrior, Midas, even though we have shed blood upon the battlefield together... If my strength is needed, I will fight, but I would prefer to use my talents of healing to help those who need them. I hope you understand...?"

As two more joined them, Ampere and Mesec, Apollo's breath hitched in his throat upon spotting the familiar dark-body of the Moon-Son. "Mesec," the Merciful stated, relief coating ever syllable, "I'm so relieved to see that you're safe, little brother." The stallion's hope blossomed anew, for who better to help them than a son of the Gods? "Any word from anyone else?"

So few of their numbers had made it... Apollo hoped that they were all safe.

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

The more the light shines through me
I pretend to close my eyes
The more the dark consumes me
I pretend I'm burning
</style>

It was fear which fueled me to carry on, all the way from the endless blue to the Foothills, where we spied the herd moving out in caravan style to... well, I didn't know. With Ampere still at might side, we shifted course and followed them silently, remaining in the sky with ever watchful eyes. He enjoyed Ampere's company immensely, even it was in contemplative silence, as we both struggled to make sense of what was happening to the world we knew. I was happy I had found her, for I feared what might have become of her had I not warned her of the incoming threat. For a brief moment I toyed my mind with thoughts of what did happen to those who didn't run, but with a single shudder I abandoned the thoughts.

Eventually we all arrived at the Heart of Helovia, a place I had never truly cared to explore before. Below us, the others seemed to be ducking down into a hidden opening within the grasses, and I was perplexed as members of my herd began to disappear beneath the earth. Exchanging glances with Ampere, I began to descend with her towards the ground to follow the rest, and like her, I too disliked the thought of being trapped beneath the earth where wings would be useless. "We'll be alright," I tried to assure her as we headed down the slippery entrance of the cave, daring to reach out with my muzzle and pressing it firmly into her shoulder if she allowed it, "I promise." And with that, we descended underground.

There were many bodies already shoved and stuffed into the cave, some faces I recognized and others I didn't. Having just arrived, I was unsure just how big these caverns were, but I hoped they spread out enough to accommodate so many. Keeping myself at Ampere's side and not daring to remove myself from that position even as the blue streaked mare questioned the location of our warriors. I yearned to give her an answer, but anything I could say would probably be a lie. I didn't know.

Casting my gaze to Apollo, I shot a small smile in his direction. I was thankful that the overo had retained his position against the one called Confutatis, for what would she have done when faced with this threat? "The feeling is mutual," I replied to him with a sigh of relief, for I wasn't sure what I would have done if I'd learned that the Chief was missing or deceased... or possibly worse. "Ampere and I flew above the rest, and I kept my eyes pried, but... I didn't see anyone who I don't see now." A tone of sadness filled my voice; I prayed all would be well for those who hadn't made it with the rest. "I may go back out and search for stragglers, or those who just don't know. Please," I said, meeting the Chief's gaze and already expecting him to deny me, "With my magic, I can escape almost anything. I could save so many."

"blah blah blah."

image by blu | table code by tamme
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Mesec was a support to her that she wasn't aware she needed. Ampere was naturally strong, but it wasn't always because she wanted to be. Growing up with a nomadic family had shaped her for an independent life, but even then she'd always had her mother, her grandfather, someone that she knew and loved. Ever since coming to Helovia, she'd been achingly alone. She was so tired of being so strong all the time. Now, in this greatest time of weakness, she was eternally grateful to the boy born of the moon.

Still, could he promise such as thing as them being alright? She flicked her ears, uncertain, but she only nodded, unwilling to let doubts crawl into her heart.

As the gathered group seemed to compose itself, each horse bit by bit grappling with sanity, Ampere learned more of their threat. She learned that they knew so very little, which was just as she feared. Still, there was no denying the comfort to be had in so many gathered of able body and mind. She held on tightly to the memory of that flaming monster and the victory they achieved over it. It had to work out the same this time, didn't it?

Lakota spoke of leadership matters that were of no importance to Ampere, or she felt, to anyone here. Crowns were meaningless in this place, and especially beyond it where the shadows grew long. She supposed it was of some value to those herd bound though, so she kept quiet, keen to listen as Lakota seemed capable and certainly had the frame of mind to provide structure and plans, more than Ampere could say she'd done. Meanwhile Apollo greeted Mesec as brother, which caught her attention. They looked nothing alike and Ampere wondered if they shared the word in blood or experience. Does it matter? part of her questioned, trying to soothe her mind that was jumping around endlessly with tired thoughts. No, she knew. So long as Apollo was someone important to Mesec, it was all she needed to know.
She was among friends.

"I may go back out and search for stragglers, or those who just don't know."
The words filled Ampere with a chill. Absent mindedly she leaned closer to him, as if to savor these fleeting moments where he was real and tangible beside her, able to hold her, warm her, save her. She did not want him to go, but rarely did Ampere ever get what she wanted.
"I would not be here if it weren't for Mesec," she confessed, blue eyes sweeping over the crowd before glancing up at the dark stallion. She held him in her gaze, its color shadowed with a variety of emotions. She knew he had to go, and she was certain they all did. She wanted to go with him, but she didn't have the strength. Nothing had ever frightened her so much, and though that didn't mean she would sit down here and hide, it meant she did not trust her ability to rescue others when she herself was adrift. She could fight, but that was it; not much against an opponent that may not be susceptible to defeat.

She wondered what magic he spoke of, but trusted that he would be safe with it, so long as he thought so. "Please come back," she whispered to him, nearly pleading.
"I'll find the warriors, I've no healing ability nor connection with the gods."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Somehow having him near made this whole nightmare easier to handle. Apollo, and other familiar faces. Yet, I couldn’t hide the worry behind a callused gaze. So many souls, yet safe—yet alive. We would live here together, for as long as it took. A patched brute approached from the rear, his eyes wide and bright with alabaster stripe aglow in the shadowed light. I frowned as he came, recognizing him from battle—a fray sorely lost on his part. The bile which likely rose behind throat was subdued for the sake of our circumstance. He addressed Apollo, inquiring for some lover, or mate. A flicker of compassion rose in my heart and memory was shot back to a dark mare; forever out of reach. I jerked and came out of thoughts back into the present.

Another approached, a lass with dark skin and bright feathers. Her electric eyes landed upon each of us in turn. I glanced her way and replied, “We know not. But will try regardless. You’ll find Guacho assembling Throat and Edge troops down yon trail.” Snout shifted to point toward a distant path she may or may not be able to see, “See yourself there if your of the mind, we welcome your strength.” Lakota echoed my response, making a point to add that we needed to visit with the gods. Our Oracle Africa had been warned by the Sun, yet he hadn’t shared with how we were supposed to muster a counter. Such information would have made life much simpler. As it stood, we were in the dark, just as those who had fallen ill.

Lakota also mentioned her swiped abilities and a promotion. I nodded, not seeing a need to add anything more. Apollo was still a healer at least, “Africa is our Oracle, she is among us and will willingly offer her abilities.” When my painted brother said that he wasn’t of a mind for war I smiled, just a little for his sake, “Yar, brother, ye can fight when your back is against the wall.” Gently I nudged his taller shoulder, a playful symbol in these trying times; yet my gaze mindfully glanced at the pointed crystal like weapon sitting upon his brow, “Your talents of mending are more useful, we have ample fighters—but so few who can fix the brokenness that has come.” Yet another from the ranks of Foothills came forward, begging to go find stragglers, I paused then added after his plee and the one called
Ampere spoke in his favor, “A warning friend, I know not what powers you possess; but it is said that our magic is of little use against them. Be wary if ye travel beyond these walls, ye might find your family nothing more than a reflection of the past.”

Gold melted into a soft warmth of consideration, I felt for his needs and understood the desire to rescue those that had been lost to this darkness. Turning again to Apollo and Lakota, “As another option, if ye is a bonded, send your companion instead—the creatures of death seem to have little interest in our soul bonds.” Gaze shifted again toward the couple, “I’d offer my own to aid your cause. She is quick and bright. Favors the sky over this dreary cave.”

Ampere's attention shifted as Midas addressed Mesec, warning him of the dangers beyond the cave. Her lips pursed in thought, wondering just what the stallion before her had to face in order to get her safely - her certainly seemed knowledge on the darkness and their creatures. Did it matter though? They were all in danger, and they all knew it.

She was about to dismiss herself then, lingering only to see Mesec off into the storm, but her focus was sharply returned once Midas spoke of companions. She was in such disbelief for a moment she could only stare at him in a stunned silence, her jaw gradually growing slack. He was speaking of them like nothing more than empty bodies to throw into the chaotic fray, as though a soul were of such insignificance.

Her expression remained perplexed. As though walking from a dream Ampere gradually began to wake, this rattling her core more than those monsters could ever manage - she expected it from them, not from her brothers in arms. Her exhaustion crumbled away from her as if it were nothing more than dry mud that had been snagging her stride and mussing her coat. "Are you saying, that you would send a small creature entwined with your soul out into that hell, alone?" Ampere asked, incredulous. It did not take long for her confusion and her horror to develop into something much more loud. She stalked towards him, feathers bristling at her sides. "How dare you serve as her voice! I much prefer the open skies to this den of wolves too, but we're all seeking safety, no matter the size or species!!"

Of all the selfish things she'd known her kind to do with their small creatures, this sick debauchery was by far the worst. Not only was Midas willing to pit his bonded against his enemies, he was not even going to stand beside her to face the terrors. What would happen when the wraiths had taken all the horses still top side, did he truly believe the rest of the living would be spared? An evil such as this did not provide such mercies, though she desperately wished they would because time and time again her kind had proven themselves worthy of extinction.
"What about us then, huh? Everyone here seems to think fighting them isn't going to work, yet you're willing to let the warriors assemble and march. Just another body to build a wall for you to hide behind, isn't it?" Ampere sunk back away from him as she spoke, her voice still thick with violent emotion, but her volume sustained at a level of mere outrage.

"You're nothing but a fucking coward." Ampere spat. Then she was quiet for a moment, glancing at everyone, wondering if they felt the same as Midas, or if they understood the injustice of his words. So often she found herself opposed, as if her loud voice and her passion were the crime and not the daily acts of torture those she was screaming at committed to their bonded, to their very soul. Would this be another time when she stood alone, the only one able to open her eyes?

She'd fight for them all regardless. She'd build a damn wall of flesh for them to cower behind and she'd make sure she was extra gory and pungent, just for them, assuming they could smell it above their own urine soaking their hides.