the Rift

An Insidious Requiem

Hamaliel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Hamaliel
Alone, and lost in paradise

One moment I could feel the warmth and heat that came as one would depart the realm of the mortals. It was a welcome feeling, one that made my primordial soul light with a flame that was dulled when I walked amongst the flesh of man. As I felt my body and soul transcend to it’s true state I was overwhelmed with that feeling of sweet relief, I knew I was close to home. Something changed. Something wasn’t right. As I saw the brilliance of the celestial city, my wings were grasped by some invisible force, and just as easy as I came, I was tossed from the heavens and plummeted to the realm of mortals.

The night around me is silent and still. Five hundred and forty seven days since I was tossed from the heavens. My search for home has been relentless, but I am growing weary. I’ve searched what feels like every corner of the earth and I still have not found the ethereal gates. Most of all, a question haunts me, a simple and unanswerable question. Why? I don’t understand why my Father would thrust me from the warmth of his embrace, or place me amongst the heretics and blasphemers. My mind wanders to the worst of places and I fret that I am deemed Fallen, one of the demons I swore to slay. Such a thought sends a shutter down my spine. No, I am Hamaliel, third born of the Father, archangel and head executioner, there is only one I serve and that is my Father. Without Him, I am absolutely nothing, he is my lord, master, and creator. Unlike the fleeting mortals I recognize his supremacy and have dedicated my every fiber to him.

With each step, I am confident I draw closer to my king. I can still feel his warm presence, it is distant but still there. Don’t forget me, please, I pray, desperately hoping he can hear me. Didn’t he call me the most loyal? Two of my brothers fell, and I have remained by the side of my king despite their fall. Even when I witnessed the fall of Samael, I remained true, despite the pleas of my other half, I still remain true even though my heart is forever bound to that angel of death. In the end I know where my soul belongs, and it’s not with the insignificant ants, but beside my brethren. This earthly realm will not and cannot ever be my home.

HAMALIEL the voice booms in my mind and I jump. It is Him! Tears of joy sting my eyes as I feel that overwhelming heat and raging passion. For the first time in months my soul feels complete and my heart elates with joy. “I am here Father! I am listening!” I shout as I throw my head up to gaze up at the sky “I knew you didn’t forget me! Please, take me home. I need to be beside you." HAMALIEL the voice repeated. HAMALIEL, MY BELOVED SON, YOU WANDER AND YOU SEEK, BUT YOU WILL NOT FIND. “Please, Father if there is something I have done, forgive me. All I desire is to be returned to your side. Please do not cast me out, please do not make me remain here!” The tears begin to pour down from my cheeks and the elation I once felt has wilted. No, no NO! I cannot be alone. I cannot thrive in a world filled with death and blasphemers. The mortal flesh seizes hold of me and I feel overwhelmed by emotion. All at once I see a light. “Father!?” I gallop forward without any hesitation. As I meet the light I can feel the holiness of my father. MY SON FROM ASH YOU WERE BORN, AND TO ASH YOUR LIFE SHALL END. MAY YOU FIND PROTECTION AND SHELTER UNDER THE GAZE OF THE PAGAN GODS. MAY YOU FIND WHAT WAS LOST.

“No, Father!” I scream, “FATHER YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME!!” A searing pain burns at my wings, and I turn my eyes, a blue flame consumes my white wings. “NO! NO! NO! FATHER, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?” I finally give out an ear curdling scream as the pain consumes me. The fire consumes everything, down to the wing socket. All that remains around me are two piles of ash, and immense pain in both of my shoulders. I gaze at the piles of ash at my sides and feel a fit of sobs rack my frame and I fall to the ground. I lay my cheek in the ash that was once my wings, the final tie to my father, my home, my everything. I’m buried in sorrow. More than just my flesh hurts, my heart is in searing pain.

“You could’ve at least let me find my Heart,” I whisper through my sobs. Samael passes through my mind for the first time in literal years. His smile, his laugh, and most of all that darkness of his, that darkness that is so beautiful and immense, that same darkness that made him fall. Funny isn’t it that I, the most loyal, now walk amongst the land of men. Finally I push myself up and groan in pain as I rise. I slowly begin to move, around me is a forest, unfamiliar and new..

"blah blah blah."

[If you read this whole melodramatic novel, kudos to you.]

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

Helovia was in the grip of a terrible darkness. Vast expanses of the land had been swallowed, and even beyond those borders walked creatures that were neither living nor dead. Some of the inhabitants of the land had found sanctuary in the underground caverns near Helovia’s Heart. Yes, they were safe there, but the equidae were not made to hide under the earth, and they had started to fight back; Megaera was among this number. Lead by Gaucho, the sultan of her own herd, the small gathering of warriors had convened in the glowing cave to decide how to fight the darkness. Meg had been dubbed a Sigul of the W.A.R. effort. They knew so little of their enemy and so the young mare had been sent to scout.

The mare moved north from the Sanctuary on foot, setting a hard pace and only stopping for short periods of time, uneasy as she was on the ground. She’d always been quickest in the air; her wings would have carried a much larger pegasus than she, and with them she was as agile and any bird in flight. But the fire had grounded her until the molt that would come in birdsong. The fires of the Heart had ravaged her front legs and muzzle as well. The skin there had healed over and in time they might fade a little more, but she would carry the evidence of those burns forever. A reminder of her own recklessness.

Meg was forming an odd relationship with fire. In fire she’d experienced terror as she never had before, but it was not the flames that she feared any longer. The flames had been teachers and her burns a lesson of what she could bring upon herself if she didn’t think. In the years to come, she’d understand this lesson fully, but she was still young, and her reckless heart was not so quiet yet. Near fire, she had met her dearest friend, and than blaze had been warm and welcoming: a guardian in the night. As she ventured out to fight the darkness, Megeara was wreathed in flames. They rippled through her mane and tail, sprouted around her black hooves and shimmered in her clipped wings. These flames did no harm to the mare, like all in her heard she had been blessed with them by their patron Sun God and they were a comfort to her as she ventured into Helovia. A talisman against the darkness.

She picked her way through the dense forest, making as little sound as she could, but the trees were close and the brush was think underfoot so her path was followed by soft crack and snaps. It could not be too far to the place that she herself had first touched down in Helovia. A distant scream had Meg slamming to a halt. Her body went on full alert: ears pricked high and frame tense. Someone was shouting and she could hear the pain in it but the words were lost in in the echoes of the forest. A part of her wanted to turn and run back the way she’d come, but something in her made her press forward, a mix of the drive to serve the cause, and that reckless impulse she was trying to control.

She moved with caution, sure that someone had been attacked by one of the foul wraiths that were infecting the land. She came in sight of the stallion as he brought himself to his feet and she paused again, letting her eyes dart around in search of a second body, an attacker, but there didn’t seem to be one. Her focus fell on the spotted stallion as he began to move. He didn’t appear to have been taken by the darkness, but there were angry burns on the shoulder that was facing her and so she stood her ground. “You there!” she calls, he voice lower than most of her sex, and tense with her militaristic bearing. “If it was a wraith that got you, turn and leave this land. The Sickness will not be tolerated here!” As she spoke, she noticed that the beast seemed to be suffering more than physical pain, and a wraith attack seemed less and less likely.

“If you’ve not been infected I can help you.” Her voice had softened some when she spoke again. Carefully, slowly, the earth-colored mare picked her way through the brush towards the stallion. The flames that danced around her gave no heat, but they brightened the dim forest around her. She could see the stallion much better and decided that he had not yet met the darkness. He was in pain surely, but that, at least, was not a threat at this time. “I am Megaera, of Dragons Throat. Helovia is not safe for any traveler these days. I can help you. “

megaera
someday we may see a woman king, sword in hand
swing at some evil and bleed

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Unregistered
Hamaliel
i'm finally broken, falling too far
burned up in pieces from chasing your stars
I am so consumed with my grief that I don’t realize someone is there until she speaks. There is no dramatic reaction from me, I don’t jump, I don’t start, all I do is stop and look at her. I’m disappointed and I don’t know why. Maybe I was hoping Samael would’ve stepped out of the forest and spoke words of harsh sarcasm, instead I see a mare with fire radiating off of her, yet doesn’t char her flesh. My Father did such a trick a millennia ago with some peasant and a bush, so if she expects me to be in awe of her wonder she will have to think again. “I wasn’t stricken by your ‘wraiths nor was I ‘infected’.” My tone is harshly indifferent with obvious undertones of grief. There are no words to express the heaviness in my chest. “Nor do I bring pestilence to your home… What struck me would make these wraiths you speak of into dust with a mere look.” I get a hold of my grief and bury it deep within, after a deep breath I rein in my expressions and put up that stone wall.

The mortal draws nearer and then proceeds to speak, and instead of threatening me she offers me help. Such indecisive beings those of the flesh are. One moment they tell you to leave and the next they offer assistance. Such fleeting lives these poor beings have, and so little this girl knows. Oh I wonder what it’s like to live in a world where the beginning is a mystery and there is a definite end. Father, I will live amongst these beings for your sake. If this is a trial, I will pass it.

“Your help I assume is only of the flesh.” I look down at my feet and see the piles of ash. All that remains of ties to my true self. “Why help me though? It’s not as if I can give anything in return to you, and you know not of my origin or my intentions.” It’s mostly genuinely curiosity that pushes me to ask, I’ve encountered many hospitable men and each one has earned the blessing of the Father through their service to me. It’s odd to not have this mortal cower in fear or fall at my feet in worship, instead she pities me, but then I realize, this mare could’ve been a final blessing. Thank you, I say to my father, despite the anger and hurt inside of my heart. “I am Lee.” A lie, but it is instinctual, I am used to the path of disguise to accomplish my tasks. For once, it doesn’t matter whether they know my true name. This is a land of pagans and none will know of my true self. “Which is short for… Hamaliel.” The name rolls of my tongue with hurt and my carefully sculpted expression breaks and I feel the grief return and grasping me in a stranglehold. Tears threaten at the edge of my eyes and a sob tries to rack my frame but comes out as a choked noise instead. This level of feeling is so intense; I don’t know how to cope with it all, the grief, the disownment, the pain roaring from my shoulders, but most of all I don’t know how to cope with the emotion. “My displays of emotion are unnecessary, I hope you can excuse me, I am still… Coping.”

"blah blah blah"
image credit

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

Something in the tone of his response sent Meg bristling. Such indifference, such disregard. Didn’t this stallion understand what she and the others were fighting? These wraiths were enemies could not be fought, so the Sun God had said. Even getting close to one risked your own life and increased their numbers. This stallion would have to wise up if her intended to satay here in Helovia’s darkest hour. Annoyance flashed across her features, but the pain and grief so obvious ly held in the stallion’s voice and body language did wonders to calm her. It’s not his fault he doesn’t know, he is new to the land and does not yet understand. He’ll learn soon enough.

More than his tine disturbed her: “What struck me would make these wraiths you speak of into dust with a mere look.” he says, before fixing a mask of stony in difference. Megaera’s eyes narrowed as the studied the stallion she’d found. Surely it had been him that she’d heard screaming, but there didn’t appear to be any attacker nearby. What then, had happened to put those painful abrasions upon his shoulders. She saw now that there were similar marks on both sides, exactly where wings might sprout from, but it didn’t appear that they’d been ripped from him like the Oracle’s wing had been. What on earth could have “struck” him? As he looked down ,the mare followed his gaze to the two piles of flakey ash that littered the ground. Her ears snapped back to hug her nape and she let out an angry snort at the though she’d just had. Her own wing had been burned but she’d managed to beat out the fire before it consumed them whole. No way his could have burned so fast, burned off so neatly. It couldn’t have been that. Meg tried to convincer herself that it wasn’t possible for those to piles to have been wings only minutes before, but the thought couldn’t escape her mind. She moved her ears forward again, her face painted with concern, and what might pass for understanding, though she was still baffled by what had happened to her new companion.

She nearly smiled when he asked her why she would bother offering help; not so long ago she had been in the Threshold wondering the same thing when Africa and Gaucho had offered her a home and friendship. “I wouldn’t be here if a stranger had not once helped me. There’s no reason not to meet someone with kindness.” Meg said the words like she’d thought that way all her life, but really they were truths she was still coming to understand. “You’ll have to let me know, won’t you, if your origins or intentions bode ill for me or my home.” The sarcasm was well natured, and Meg smiled in earnest; as aggressive as the young thing sometimes was, this jovial humor was closer to her core. She listened as he stumbled through his introduction and concern showed again as grief seizes the stallion. How could his name cause him so much pain?

Megaera wasn’t often soft hearted, but between the empathy she felt for those injured by fire and the clear agony the beast was in, her warrior’s heart ached for him. She crossed the short distance to where the stallion sobbed, and stood along side him, careful not to brush his painful-looking shoulder. Stretching her neck, she placed her scarred muzzle under his chin and pushed gently upwards. “Shh…” she soothed as he tried to apologize. “Be at peace, friend. No use in apologizing when feelings demand to be felt.” she spoke softly, and w as careful not to use either of the names he had given. She pulled her head back to look at the taller steed, though she remained close at his side. “Helovia may be a bit worse for ware these days but come with me to the caves. My herd is there, and there you’ll be able to rest and heal. “

megaera
someday we may see a woman king, sword in hand
swing at some evil and bleed

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Unregistered
Hamaliel
i'm finally broken, falling too far
burned up in pieces from chasing your stars
I watch the mare and can read her anger, until all of this I never understood how or why mortals gave in so easily to their petty feelings, but I am slowly getting it. I will control the storm raging inside of my mind, I could control it once I can control it again. There is much I need to learn in this mortal shell, after all it appears I won’t be searching for the gate any time soon. Five hundred and forty seven days of searching and it ends with my being thrown even further away from everything and everyone I love.

When my eyes drift to the ashen remains of my wings I can see her eyes follow. What is going through that tiny mortal mind? Part of me wonders if she’s smart enough to put two together at the placement of the burns and the ash at my feet. Something tells this girl isn’t sure how to decipher it all. Funny how much she wants to deny any kind of supernatural force could inflict this upon me. Their minds are so focused on the physical they can’t see into the spiritual. Odd how I refer to them as if I am not one of them, because I am all I am now is flesh and blood. I won’t become like them though, I won’ stoop to their level and be blind to what occurs behind the veil. Then I notice a shift in her expression, it turns from anger and softens into something I can’t quite place. This mare is peculiar and doesn’t seem to know how to feel only one emotion at a time.

The odd little mare gives her reasoning. So apparently it’s a um… What did the pagans call it? Ah yes, karma, it seems that it is a kind of karma thing. Or maybe it is a kind of spread the love kind of thing. In the end I really don’t care that much about why she speaks to strangers. Then she goes on to make jokes and I shrug in response, but promptly regret it when a wave of sharp and burning pain shoots through me. “At this point, I’m no bigger threat than a fly.” It’s an attempt a humor but it’s weighed down with wistfulness.

As the grief attempts to seize hold of me, I watch as she comes closer. Instinctually I step back but I gain control of myself before I fall into the mindset of defense. I close my eyes and let myself indulge in childish fantasies, I try to imagine that it isn’t a stranger touching me but Samael, and for a moment I drift off into that daydream, and it takes such self-motivation to open my eyes when she pulls away and I can feel my heart drop further. I blink and take in her offer. “Your herd… Well, I suppose I don’t ave a wide range of options do I.” I give out a sigh. “We should probably start moving, I don’t think I’ll be able to last very long with these burns.”

"blah blah blah"
image credit