the Rift

[PRIVATE] Favorite Things? Glowing Mushrooms

Cashmere Posts: 115
Up For Adoption atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 5 (Orangemoon) HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Adoptable

My eyes are wide with amazement. I have taken up residence within the sanctuary of the caves, hiding away with the Asylum and the herd called Dragon's Throat. I am still unfamiliar with so many of the bodies that fill up the cavernous space. In the entrance where so many had gathered I started to feel claustrophobic. It was too hot, and there were too many bodies pressed so close to mine. She was getting angry, and I was afraid that we might lash out at the innocent bodies around us. My breath had grown hot and my brown eyes dark. As quietly and casually as I could, I had escaped that bustling room and found my way through the paths of the cavern. I'd walked briefly into each room, but had to stop and stay when I came to this beautiful place. It was glowing, and my eyes shone with the magic of the luminescent ground. Mushrooms that glowed and reflected up in the skies of the cave. It was so gorgeous I took my breath away. For once, She seems to appreciate the beauty of something as well, for she remains silent. The coolness of the room is something that I might normally be opposed to, but instead it is refreshing after the massive amounts of bodies that were swarming around me.

I whisper out. "Helloooo..." And it echoes back. Of course, the echo would have happened in any other room as well. But something about this place makes it even more special. This.. this is definitely my new favorite place. There is no daylight, there is no grass, but somehow that's just fine with me. I lie down and without hesitation I begin to roll in the biofluorescent mushrooms. Luckily they don't break, for that would sadden me. Instead they bend and roll under my light form, hugging close to my skin as they cushion my body. Yes, it's quite lovely here. I think I'll stay.

@[Sohalia]

how I walk
"how I talk"
how I think
-how She talks to me-

Table by Lauren || IMAGE CREDITS
[Image: cashmere_by_lainey_lou-d73bbjq.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
Sohalia

I am broken, and I don't necessarily mean that in the mental sense of the word, though one could argue for that, too. But what I mean is that somehow, I seem to have broken my oldest magic. As I walk away from the Sunken Falls and the thunder of the water fades from my ears, the world around me seems to blur. I walk a few steps in the cold, greyscale world-between-worlds where I met with Rowan only yesterday, and then I am plunged back into the warm, colorful reality in which I belong. I frown, for such a thing is not common. In fact, until Rowan had called to me, I had not used my spirit-magic since Diniel's death.

Another step, and I am plunged into death again - but not my death. No, my power is to traverse the worlds, to bridge the distance between death and life. Some do not believe in an afterlife, but I have proven that it exists. I step through the veil between reality and myth. I shake my head violently, sending silken, tangled hair spiraling through the air to settle against my withers. My forelock flops gracefully over my right eye, perhaps hiding the bi-chromatic nature of my large, feminine orbs.

"Hello...?" a soft voice echoes through the cave, and I am startled from my post-magic daze by the sight of a young unicorn rolling among the mushrooms. Well, not that young, I suppose - she is built like me, though she is taller, but the darker grey on areas of her pelt gives away that she is younger than I. Of course, I paled at an early age, so that may not be saying much. "Um... hello," I respond to her drifting query, though I'm not entirely sure she expects a response.

"Talk talk talk."
VenomXBaby
Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!

Adoptable

My mind is lost, trying to ignore the trapped feeling that occurs by staying in the caves, the claustrophobia. Instead of thinking about the darkness, the death and the fear that was tangible in the air, I think about the joy of life. I am alive, I am in a new land and have the opportunity for a new start. I am in a room that glows with the light of life, the bioluminescence that I wish I could emulate now. Instead I have to be satisfied with the light life casts on my coat. I sigh and lie still for a moment in the light. My body relaxes for the first time in ages, and a stillness grows in which I find comfort.

But it doesn't stay for long. Another sound returns to me, and though it is similar to the call I put out just moments ago, there is a deviation and I realize this echo is not an echo. "Um, hello?" I turn my crown to glance toward the sound, and find a winged equine looking over and down at me. It seems there may be a look of confusion on her face, seeing me rolling in the mushrooms. I must look quite silly, and suddenly I become self-conscious, quickly rising to my feet in the most graceful way I can manage, but I'm worried it wasn't that graceful either. -That's because you're fucking ridiculous and an embarrassment of an equine.- I bite back my retort. The last time I argued with her she gave me quite the talking to and a large migraine. My lobes fall slightly, hurt by Her comments. It's a wonder I don't have some sort of mental disability, a complex, from the things she says to me. I let out a sigh, distracted, and try to turn my attention back to the lady that has approached me. I force a smile back on my face. It's not that I do not want to be friendly, I do, but She is bringing me down and really hurting my feelings.

I shake out my mane and tail, trying to sort out the mislaid hairs rubbed the wrong way from rolling around. My smile slowly becomes more genuine as my soft voice finally spills from my lips. "Hi! I didn't think anyone heard my call. My name is Cashmere." My lobes have lifted and are cocked slightly, easy and cheerful. I am doing the best to tune out negativity swirling in my mind. Easier said than done, of course, but I am persistent and determined.

how I walk
"how I talk"
how I think
-how She talks to me-

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Sohalia

I am confused. My mind cannot seem to make up its mind about which world it would like to inhabit, and I feel a bit uncomfortable entering into conversation with someone when I'm not really sure if I'm speaking out loud or in whatever mental limbo accompanies the spirit world. I swallow, hard, and close my eyes; with a great mental tug I am able to find the source of my magic (or what I perceive to be the source of my magic) and guide it into line. When my bi-colored eyes land on the mare before me again, I am no longer seeing double. The spirit world has returned to its own plane of existence (or I have returned to mine) and that is that. Somehow, despite the recent trials of my life, I find myself approaching its problems in a different light with a new clarity. The change is refreshing, and I find that I can relax, if only slightly, as a result.

I take a harder look at the mare now, taking note of the things that I had not seen in the last few moments. She is a lovely dapple grey, which I knew even from the scant light in the glowing room, but now I noticed a patch of color along her belly. It almost looked like flames licking up her sides, but it did not move. An odd marking, though of course I have seen stranger things since I have arrived in Helovia. Where I come from, abnormal colors would be frowned upon. Luckily, I am not as close-minded. The last thing I notice is the horn protruding from her brow, and though it makes me wary, what with my history with unicorns, I do not feel threatened by the mare. She seems to be happy-go-lucky. I wonder if she carries any baggage, as I do. I decide that it isn't any of my business, anyway. "I didn't really expect to run into anyone, myself. It's lovely to meet you, Cashmere. My name is Sohalia." I offer her a kind smile. "Have you been in the caves long?"

"Talk talk talk."
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Adoptable

The mare that I look at before me is similar to myself. In sex, sure, but it's more than that. Her coloring is similar, too. We are both ivory ladies, but I have darker patches, darker legs and hairs on my head. She is like a more angelic form, and does not carry the colorful markings that I do. She seems lost in thought as I speak to her, and maybe more than just thought. A different land, she seems to be in - so far away. I shake my head, my earring comforting me. With a small sigh, I feel the negativity and anxiety seep from my body, and my soul feels so much lighter. She offers me a smile as she comes to, and my disposition reflects hers. She introduces herself - Sohalia. "Your name is lovely. It is gentle and angelic, like yourself." My eyes are light and friendly. Of course, I do not know the things that go on in Sohalia's world. But to me, she is someone I already look up to. She asks how long I have been down here in the caves. The Voice offers up a sarcastic, mean response. I snort, my ears twitching in irritation at Her rudeness. I manage to keep my thoughts about Her attitude to myself, preventing me from embarrassing myself in front of the older vixen. I perk my lobes forward again as She quiets down. "I have been down here longer than I care to, that's for certain. I'm not sure how long it has been, but I came down with Circuta. Do you know her?" Of course, it seems to me like all these horses may know each other. I am the newcomer in their world, not the other way around. But it never hurts to ask, maybe Sohalia is new as well. I put the question forward, adding to my previous one.

WC 316

how I walk
"how I talk"
how I think
-how She talks to me-

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Sohalia

As I come to my senses and manage to relax in the presence of the horned mare, I find myself observing the intricacies of the glowing room for the first time. I had wandered down the corridors of our underground encampment, passing from the Sunken Walls to the Wall of History, through the main cave of the Sanctuary (where I hadn't been able to stop myself from looking for Gaucho, to no avail) and then into this room. It is different and new, as I had stayed primarily in the Sanctuary prior to fleeing the encounter with Note. Now I take a good look, my bi-colored gaze flickering over dark walls and gently illuminated flora and a star-speckled ceiling that cannot be real. There is nothing but darkness in Helovia's skies now, but the illusion is welcome all the same.

The floor beneath my hooves is surprisingly soft, a far cry from the unforgiving stone throughout the remainder of the caves. More surprising still is the presence of small trees sprouting from the springy moss. They are lovely, but foreign, similar to their overland counterparts but different at the same time. Mushrooms dot the ground and trees here and there, providing the soft blue glow that has been throwing off my color perception, and a stream gurgles quietly from a small waterfall. It is pretty and gentle, not like the rushing, roaring river of the Sunken Falls a few rooms over.

The grey mare offers a compliment in return for my name, and a pleasantly surprised smile takes over my maw. How sweet she seems, to think so highly of me when she has only just met me. My mind clouds, for she only thinks well because she does not know my history, does not know that I am not as pure as she seems to think - but I shove the darkness back. I cannot give in to despair, not this time. Not if I want to come out on top in this battle, in this fight that I have unknowingly and unwillingly entered in return for my desires. If I have learned anything, it is that I cannot sit around and mope and hope that all will be well - no, I must reach out and take what I want, by any means necessary.

But I will not give up my ideals and morals. I will not become someone else.

"I feel that even a day is longer than I would like to be here," I respond with a chuckle, "but I suppose this is better than the darkness." She offers a name, and I think for a moment, my auds flickering back and forth in thought. The crystal rose that hangs from my neck bumps against my chest as I shift my weight, a reminder of the war I must fight, accompanied by a plea to fight on my terms, not the blue's. "I do not know Circuta," I admit. "I came down here a part of the Dragon's Throat herd. If she was of my family, I have no knowledge of her." An apologetic smile graces my features, but drops into a look of wonder as a glimmer from the far corner of the room catches my eye.

"What...?" I step around Cashmere, peering into darkness. Sure enough, a pale blue orb seems to shine from a shore of the stream. As I draw closer, it takes shape, and I realize that I am looking at a small egg. "... what is it?" I immediately feel the protective embrace of maternal hormones, but they are accompanied with fear - how can I take on the well-being of an egg when I cannot even provide for my own daughters, protect my own flesh and blood? But it calls to me all the same, impelling me to lower my head and brush my maw over the smooth surface.

"Talk talk talk."

Adoptable

Something bothers the pretty lady, but who am I to tell what it is? I am no mind reader. Let's be honest, there are some interesting things going on in my own head. There is no possible way I could take care or diagnose someone else's problems, if I cannot even figure out what is going on in my own head. -And what makes you think you're crazy, little girl?- I groan at Her. She is doing this to tease me, I know. I try to push her away in my mind. But She won't listen to me. She pushes back and nags. Sometimes I think She knows more about what is going on than I do. Definitely more. -Definitely more, sweet one. Don't let me distract you now. You've never paid me much attention before, don't you think now isn't really the time to start? There is a pretty lady in front of you who you are having a conversation with.- She has a good point of course, and I try to refocus my attention. Sohalia smiles at me, and seems to be equally annoyed at the prospect of staying in these caves. No one really wants to be here, except to stay away from the darkness above. It was clear that Sohalia didn't, and I don't really want to either. A sigh slips past my lips.

Her attention gets refocused on something past us both. My body stirs, not just my mind. My eyes brighten as I look toward her, then toward what she is staring at. The mushrooms and baby trees light up the cavern - and believe me, I love it - but there is something else lighting up in the cavern, too. It looks like a little egg. "What is it?" Sohalia asks, maybe directed toward me, maybe not. I can't tell for sure, but my curiosity is piqued. I move over, following her over toward the glowing object. It looks bluish, and is emanating light all of its own. "Sohalia, what is it?" I ask curiously and sniff the air, trying to smell out what is going on.

how I walk
"how I talk"
how I think
-how She talks to me-

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Sohalia

The egg is entrancing, glowing with a soft, pulsing light. As my muzzle brushes over the delicate shell, I notice that it emanates warmth, as well. I raise my head, look around; there are no creatures in sight that would be capable of creating this beautiful, helpless creature. I lower my head again, blowing gently on it, hoping that its place in the mushrooms, nestled in the moss, has kept it warm enough. Somehow, I have determined that I am to be its caretaker, though it would be difficult to explain why. "I... I think it's an egg," I say to Cashmere, who has arrived by my side and seems as amazed as I am. "But nothing I know of lays eggs like this. And I don't think anything like that would live down here, anyway." I take a deep breath, then my knees fold as I pull the egg closer, cradling it against my chest. It is about the size of my muzzle, and seems to fit perfectly against my body. "I need to keep it warm. Then when it hatches, we'll know more."

My voice is more confident than my thoughts. Despite my new mindset of wanting to push forward and be successful, I am reminded of the failures of my time as a mother. One of my daughters was born dead. One of my daughters ran away. One of my daughters is now lost in the darkness. How much good can I actually do for this precious little egg? How can I possibly be a better mother for it than I was for my own flesh and blood? Maybe I should just leave it - maybe I should just watch until its own mother returns. But somehow, deep down, I know that its mother is gone. I know that this is no ordinary egg. As soon as I touched it, it became mine, and I became its surrogate mother, and there was nothing else to it. What have I gotten myself into?

"I... should take care of it. Right?" I look to Cashmere for confirmation, hopefulness on my features. Maybe she will tell me I have made the right call, that I will be a wonderful caregiver. Or maybe she'll think I'm crazy.

"Talk talk talk."

Adoptable

I watch closely as the angelic painted mare drops to her knees on the softened ground, and draws the egg closer to her. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's an egg, sure, but what sort of egg looks like that? Normally I'd be excited for new life, but I can't be sure with this - it's so unnatural. Then again, I have a horn on my head. That's a little fantastical, too, I suppose. -We should crush it before it turns into some sort of demon. Like she said, who knows what created it.- The Voice hissed darkly at the egg, but I kept my mouth shut. It was an egg, surely whatever came out of it would be harmless, at least in infant stage. Like Sohalia, said, it would be better to wait and see what hatches from it. If it is a danger, we can kill it. If not, we should let it be. It's not right to hurt other creatures without a good reason. -Your face is a good enough reason for me.- She cackled loudly inside my head. I approach cautiously behind Sohalia, and drop softly to my belly. I crane my neck forward, and try to catch her eye to ask for permission. "May I touch it?" I motion with my muzzle. It seems even brighter now that I am down at eye level. I wonder silently what is inside. A type of bird or lizard? That would make sense for an egg. But in my gut I feel that it is neither of those. It is something I would never expect from an egg. And yet, I still have no idea. I can feel an aura of protectiveness radiating from the mare next to me, hence my request for permission to touch the hidden infant. Never, ever incur a mother's wrath. I learned that at an early age.

The vixen beside me looks over, a question in her eyes. To take care of it? To me, that was without a doubt. "Of course you should. We can't leave it all alone, unable to look after itself." I nod my head affirmatively. "I feel sure that you were meant to find this egg, and look out for it... at least until we can be sure of what it is." I hope that I am giving good advice. I'm not often asked, actually, but I'm telling her what I believe in my heart. And surely whatever I believe in my heart is the right answer?

how I walk
"how I talk"
how I think
-how She talks to me-

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Sohalia

The egg is warm against my chest, and I found myself thrust into memories of my brief stints of motherhood. I had sworn to never again have children after Diniel, my little stillborn angel, who had left her sister, Skysong to face the world alone. Would things have been different, if they had both survived, both grown up under my watchful eye? Would Note have stayed, if I had not lost our firstborn? Would I have been a better mother? I know I cannot take it back, and I have trained myself to put such things out of my mind; but with the thought of taking on an egg, I find that all of my doubts have come rushing back.

And then, there was Zenobia, my little firecracker of a daughter. Oh, how lovely she is, and how brave. I tried to be a better mother for her. I tried to indulge her as I never did Skysong; I tried to teach her, and nurture her, and keep her close. And yet somehow, on that long trek into the caverns, I had managed to lose her. I had searched, of course, but to no avail, and the disappointment in Gaucho's eyes when he realized that I had failed still drives a spike into my heart. I swallow hard, pulling the egg closer. I am gentle, careful not to crush it despite my desire to hold it tight. Tears swim beneath closed lids as I take a moment and pray that maybe this time, I can be the mother I should be. Maybe this time, I will not fail.

Little do I know that the egg will be a companion rather than a child, but alas, I shall learn soon enough.

"Of course you may," I reply with surprise at the mare's inquiry, moving my cranium out of the way to allow her access. I appreciate her next words, though the seed of doubt remains planted firmly in my mind. How could she be so sure? Once upon a time, I believed in destiny and fate, very much like she insisted, and yet... Now, with all that has happened, how can I blindly place my trust in the unknown? Still, she's right, isn't she? I can't possibly leave the babe to fend for itself. It will need a caretaker, particularly now, with the darkness looming outside the cave. How will it survive without someone - without me? "You're right," I agree finally, quietly. I wonder if she can hear my trepidation, the way my voice wavers slightly, unsure even now. "Thank you." It is an even more quiet sentence, almost a whisper, for this near-stranger's kindness means more to me than she can possibly know.

"Talk talk talk."

Adoptable
Her sweet voice was gentle as she encouraged me to touch her egg, acknowledging and accepting my request. Like a little kitten, I want to purr. But horses don't purr. Instead, I let out a sock whicker, and press my soft, gentle velvets to the egg's surface. It radiates warmth. That's good for an egg, to help it hatch, right? The egg's surface is smooth, and my muzzle glides over it easily. I pull back and a small giggle slips through my lips. Sohalia agrees with my assessment of the situation, and thanks me so quietly I almost cannot hear her. My smile spreads to my eyes, and they twinkle in the reflecting glow of the shrooms.

All this makes me want an egg, or a child of my own. I've never thought much about motherhood. Instead I have spent much of my time trying to look out for myself, to make sure I fit in and won't be bullied. Or, what's more, to make sure that everyone around me is safe. Every now and then someone turns up hurt or something turns up dead. Everyone starts looking at me funny, but I have no recollection of what's happened. Until I can make sure I know what this pattern is, perhaps a child is not for me. But at the same time, a young one to love and care for, to nurture and help grow to be a beautiful, amazing young stallion or mare. It would be my pride and joy. But in this world, especially one with all the darkness that surrounds us, that may not be such a good idea. A sigh slips out. "I wish I, too, could be a mother to someone, or something."

OOC: we should probably end the thread soon, esp. since your egg hatched xD not sure how to end it though. sorry this is so short!

how I walk
"how I talk"
how I think
-how She talks to me-

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Sohalia

The soft nicker that comes from Cashmere is a comfort, and I smile. I wonder what the egg can hear, if anything at all, from within its fragile shell. When it hatches, will it remember Cashmere's touch, her voice? Or will her memory be nothing more than a half-remembered dream, a forgotten wisp that never quite comes to the surface but lurks, buried on some subconscious level below? I suppose it must be quite like our own childhood. I couldn't say that I remembered my mother's womb, but I undoubtedly knew her as soon as I was born. So, too, had my own daughters known me. It argued that we knew what was ours, though perhaps not those that passed by, even if they brushed their maw along the outside of that thin layer of skin between air and babe...

She seems to have a revelation, admitting that she wishes to become a mother. I pause, regarding her with curiosity. I could tell her of my failures, or my desire to be a mother and the subsequent heartache that ensued. I could tell her of my stillborn daughter, or the twin that vanished, of the youngest still lost in the darkness. But who am I to spoil her dreams, to ruin her fantasies, to pretend that my mistakes will be hers, too? "If you wish it, it shall be so, one day," I tell her finally. "Motherhood is beautiful, but it is also hard. I think you would do well, though." I smile at her, and at my egg. For the moment, I am at peace.

"Talk talk talk."