the Rift

[OPEN] the fire that burns against the cold [Sohalia]

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Orangemoon had not been kind to Helovia. Storms had raged across the land and the bitter cold had reached it fingers down from the frozen north; Frostfall would be upon them soon. The cold alone, they might have weathered, especially in the southern deserts, the coming of Frostfall was not so dire a fate when it happened every year. This Orangemoon, however, had brought a darkness to the land. It had swept through Helovia swift a fierce, engulfing entire regions and spreading a sickness beyond anything Megaera had ever seen.

The moon was set high in the sky this night, but its light was hidden by the thick clouds that smeared themselves across the heavens. A cold wind whistled through the tall grasses, biting anything it met with icy teeth. The only light that shone in the darkness was a mare, wreathed in soft flames. Megaera had taken up watch duty that night, and so stood above the entrance to the caves, keeping her eyes wide for signs of the dark creatures. Beside her the gold stone glimmered in the light of her fires, and atop it Gaucho’s woven dream catcher marked the caves entrance. Having the tokens of her two sultans beside her gave the bay mare courage to face the night alone, just as much as the dancing light that surrounded her. The flames were harmless, and could hurt neither her nor her enemies, but they seemed a sort of talisman against the night and against the cold.

As the hours passed, Meg could only reflect of the events of the weeks past, and in her a bitterness stirred. The mare’s posture was stiff and her black mood showed of her face as to stood, staring into the dark horizon. She longed to fight these monsters, but they could not be defeated by strength or speed. She felt so helpless, so ineffective against this foe, and she couldn’t even scout properly without the full use of her wings. For one so use to fighting for survival, this solitary watch was maddening. She needed to fly and learn and fight, but what could she do? What difference could she make?

[ooc: for @[Sohalia] Anyone else is welcome to join as well!]
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Sohalia the Transcended Posts: 477
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: 10 (ages in Orangemoon) HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Astraeus :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya ChaoticMelodies
[Image: sohtable.png]

SOHALIA

There is a common misconception about deserts. Many seem to think that just because they retain heat during the day, their temperatures are mild and relatively stable even in the winter, but that is not the case. Frostfall in the Dragon's Throat is accompanied by a series of ups and downs, heat waves and hard freezes, all within twenty-four hours. The sands may burn your hooves during the day, but at night you must huddle for warmth. If there is anything that I have learned in my life, it is that all lands are accompanied by their own unique attributes. There are wonderful things about all terrains, and there are terrible things as well. You just have to find the qualities that you can live with.

I suppose that could be said for many things in life. One must always find the things that they can live with, whether it is in a herd, a relationship, a land, even yourself. There is no such thing as perfection. I once believed that such an impossibility existed. I once believed that it was something I could achieve. But I have become disillusioned with the notion, accepted that there is, in truth, nothing in this world besides a constant give and take. You accept the imperfections because the good outweighs the bad. You keep moving forward because the alternative is to drown in negativity. You search for the light because you are easily overwhelmed by the dark.

Well, I have seen the light now. I am not going back into darkness so easily as some would believe.

I walk out of the deeper caverns and onto the open floor of the Sanctuary. It is still odd to see those of so many different herds and backgrounds coming together like this. I am uncomfortable with such large crowds, and I circle along the walls of the Sanctuary until I stand near its entrance. A mare that looks vaguely familiar stands nearby, studying the sky; I catch the scent of heat and sand, and I know that she came from my own homeland. I approach, stopping short of her by a length or two, and then offer a greeting: "Hello. I believe you came from the Dragon's Throat, yes?"

"talk talk talk"
@[Megaera]

Live... I want to live on fire
Die... I want to burn out brighter
Brighter than the northern lights
Want to live to feel the daylight

Please tag Sohalia in all replies.
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Want to place an order?  Visit Crystalline Creations here!
Want to plot with Sohalia?  Visit her plot page here!