the Rift

[OPEN] bringing on the light

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

As safe as the caves were, crowded by those across Helovia trying to escape the darkness and whatever was changing their friends into monsters, she hated not knowing whether Miykael was alright – and what about Kahlua and Brisa? It seemed so long ago that she had soared towards Helovia with a light heart, eager to see her friends again and be surrounded by their smiles as they chatted and spent the day chasing away each other’s sorrows. They were two bright suns for her, those lovely mares, and now she had no idea where they might be.

It would be the easiest thing in the world to leave, to climb back to the surface and gather up those friends like lost ducklings. Except it wasn’t easy at all. Here she was safe, there were at least a couple familiar faces and a whole host of unfamiliar ones she would love to get acquainted with. Resplendence was here, and after how selfless the healer had acted in the Edge it would be a poor repayment to flee the safety and put herself at risk. Besides, she would not even know where to start to try to find them, those lost friends of hers.

Better, perhaps to come up with a plan first.

An idea that was great in theory but she was no strategist. She had no idea where to even begin with the forming of a plan. As she wandered about in the morning, however, the problem at hand was momentarily pushed to the back of her mind when she took a turn and found herself in a gorgeous underground paradise. It was easy to forget how dark and terrible the world was becoming, how much worry loaded down her mind, when she saw the dazzling little mushrooms growing on the delicate little trees that survived here in the darkness.

Well, relative darkness at least – the cavern was aglow with fluorescence and Alysanne was able for just a moment to enjoy it as she wandered through the small little underground paradise - a moment where she could gingerly touch the bright dangling vines and whisper soft compliments to the leaves (they really were beautiful). Was it ridiculous to be in this room find herself overcome with hope? So easily she found it in whatever way she could. If these could survive in the darkness perhaps so could the population of Helovia, at least for a time. Whatever plague was affecting the surface was sure to be broken, she had no doubt. Light and life would come again and cure their friends.

Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3

@[Hellä]
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Hellä Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Hellä
warm your hands on hellfire and brimstone
</style>

As she traveled through the mushrooms, her hooves sunk within ankles depth. She snorted and shook her head in ignorance. Hellä had been here before, not too long ago either. Just before she had met Resplendence, the warrior lady had ventured into the mushy situation. This was her most least-favorite place, even if she hadn’t explored to far from the Sanctuary. It tripped her, and yet with its soft drop, it hurt her almost as if it was rock solid.

She went into the depth of the cave and then noticed how blue light glared along the mushrooms. To her surprise, when she glanced up, her orbs ran across the ceiling of glowing lights. Her jaw dropped with astonishment and she began to walk in circle, gazing up at the lights. These features were much brighter than the stars that spread across the sky at night, and she would much rather watch these than she would the stars.

Hellä’s gaze followed the blue haze until she almost bumped into another mare, but this was no normal companion, she had wings graced upon her dark shoulders. The dappled girl smiled and nodded in welcoming, although, she was thinking she should be the one getting greeted. After all, she had been here for only three moons. Her frame was beautifully slender and sleek, with not scars to recall. She was mighty beautiful, but she wasn’t really the type for the warrior.

Hellä preferred the more soldier type ladies, but she hadn’t bothered walking away from Resplendence, the thought never even came to her. Yet, she didn’t know why. Usually the dappled mare would’ve walked away and forgot about their presence, but Res was something different; somehow. Hellä hadn’t tried to figure out why because she acted just like the other doctors she had ever met; they had an obsession with different kind of herbs. When the mare had come upon the claybank dun; there had been some kind of connection between the two, even if they didn’t exactly know each other. Res was different in appearance, but her personality must’ve had something that clicked Hellä, or else she would’ve just walked away like she did everyone else. But that didn’t happen.

Noticing she had stayed in the same position for a while long now, the mare blinked and back away. “Hello; I’m guessing you’ve come here to shelter from the beast also?” She smiled and dipped her dome so slightly it was almost unnoticeable. Maybe Hellä could start a conversation without it boring her too much to where she wouldn’t leave so early, but she doubted it and it also depended on the painted mare. Whether she could or could not keep the conversation going, that would make up Hellä’s mind if she wanted to stay.

Wasn’t that the way you knew whether the companion was worthy of your presence or not? Either way, that’s how the soldier thought of it, even if the mare didn’t like it. She would get over it or else she wouldn’t bother to come again.

[no need to tag me ^^]

Image Credits

Distracted as she was by the plants and delightful fungi that surrounded her, she was equally to blame for not noticing the mare until the moment when they almost collided. She had thought she was alone here, though the presence of company was something she rejoiced in. Calming as the inanimate plants were, another face was always preferred. But then, this wasn’t a cheerful time – was it?

It was easy to pretend that she had just wandered into this beautiful cave by happenstance, that she wasn’t actually hiding from whatever was going on outside, until someone else was there and asking her about it. How easy she had fooled herself when it came to reality – but then, wasn’t she a fool? Nothing more than a useless fool.

Turning from the little trees she clutched her wings tighter to her sides, hugging them so close it hurt, and met the mare’s gaze. “Shelter? Yes. Only because I don’t know what else to do.” The despair in her voice was plain, not having the energy to conceal it the way she would normally. It was her despair; it didn’t matter to a near stranger. She wished there was something she could do – but she wasn’t a healer, she didn’t know whether there was a cure, and she wasn’t even a warrior.

This age called for a strength she simply did not possess. Not yet.

Wait. This was not how Alysanne was raised to greet strangers, to welcome new friends when they presented themselves. But she was so tired of being weak she didn’t even have the energy to cling onto the other facets of her personality that defined her so well. For a moment a smile appeared and she fully intended to move onto some easy conversation, perhaps something to further distract the both of them from their refugee status, but it flickered and faded just as soon as it had formed. Her voice came out in a soft whisper next, though she could not say what drove her to ask the question she wanted to. “Do you know anyone that… that…” What had even happened to them, she didn’t really know. They were possessed, changed, infected? She thought it might be the demons again but she hoped not – for there was no way that they could win against them. “…became one of them?”

At least, she hoped, the shadows here in this glowing cavern would be enough to hide most of the pained expression she could not quite erase.

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Unregistered

Hellä
warm your hands on hellfire and brimstone
</style>

Her voice was so soft, yet filled with desperate need of hope. Maybe she had given up on fighting the shadows? Maybe they had all given in. Hellä hadn’t seen a single soul try and fight the cruel deep. They all acted like cowards, with their tails stuck between their legs and them high-tailing themselves far from the lands of devoured like little puppy dogs, including the dappled lady herself. But she didn’t stand around and let the shadows drain the hope from her. She held firm, her hooves slammed hard to the darkening soil and her dome raising to the highest point is could possibly reach.

She wouldn’t let the past replay itself again after what happened back in Isilme.

Whether wraiths were there or not – this was exactly what Isilme had been like before, except no one had survived. She had fled from there in desperate struggle to find out what had really happened. Hellä had taken her break from Isilme, and then she had come back to the peaceful land as it fell to ashes. Now she was here, in Helovia, looking for relatives that she didn’t even know of or if they even existed. It was dreadful to know that she might be the only one left from her powerful lineage.

She stood there for a silent moment, knowing of which to speak or not. Her mind was spinning with questions about her past, and now her present. But she resisted asking this paint mare anything; seeing as she had only met her and she seemed inconvenient at the moment. Hellä stared into her blank eyes, focusing on the vibrant green hues and her large, deep pupil. She felt revived to be in company, but yet she could not bring herself to actually know trust this mare.

She should’ve just turned away.

”Do you know anyone that became one of them?” Hellä assumed that the frail mare was talking about the wraiths that lived in the fallen darkness beyond the Sanctuary. She didn’t bother to ask and just shook her grey dome to the side. “I’m afraid I’ve just arrived and don’t know anyone of these lands.” The soldier spoke in mid-tone, but her voice touched with more deep than cheerful.

Image Credits

About the time that the mare responded to her question, her deep voice not exactly cheerful but not off-putting either, that she realized how much of a disappointment she was. Here she was, with a brand new stranger, and she couldn’t drag herself out of her sorrows!

Closing her eyes for a moment, she felt as her magic worked even here – replenishing the poorer subterranean soils. No, she could not drag herself away from what she had seen, how she had failed her friends, but she could distract herself from it, she could pretend that she had forgotten. “Sorry.” Though she wasn’t altogether sure what she was apologizing for. Sorry for being terrible company, perhaps, or for assuming that the mare had been here for longer. Either way, it was enough to make her regret her oh-so-cheery greeting and – once she opened her eyes - actually focus on the mare for the first time. Maybe she wasn’t the cheerful chatty type that Alysanne usually found herself associated with, but she was company – and she wasn’t openly mean. That was certainly enough for her.

No matter how wretched and worthless she felt, it was no excuse for being rude.

“Not exactly a warm greeting to a new land, is it? Where is it that you came from?” Sometimes it was easy to forget that there were others like her, who had come from other lands – that there were so many other regions she had never even heard of. Still, they had both somehow managed to find themselves here and that was something. A smile, finally, appeared as she forced herself to focus on the mare before her and not anything else. The plants might have provided a welcome distraction for a time, but nothing quite compared to a living and breathing distraction.

This mare didn’t seem lost, didn’t seem like she had given up hope. Maybe that was because she had just gotten here – maybe that was because she hadn’t seen her family infected and twisted. Or maybe she was just stronger. That last assumption was one that the white and black Pegasus was happy to cling onto. She needed to learn how to be strong and had run out of ideas. Holding her head a little higher, she finally remembered her manners. “I’m Aly, by the way.”

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
made by the lovely tamme

Unregistered
@[Alysanne]

Hellä snorted and watched the mare move about uncomfortably. She could tell the mare was upset, it was clearly obvious to her. It reflected off her radiating, warm, temperate body heat. She wouldn’t normally care about one’s feelings, seeing as most kept it to themselves and refused to confess, otherwise they’d lie if you pushed them enough. She didn’t feel like judging one’s ability this morning, but she was oddly connected toward this mare’s sorrow. Her head cocked and stomped her hoof, taking one smaller step forward.

I was so confused, the mare had not one, but a few different feelings at once. I couldn’t understand any of it. Her eyes told one story, but her movement told another. I couldn’t tell if she sorrowful, or if she was happy. But the sorrow part reflected the most. Maybe, it was something about this darkness that bothered her, but I couldn’t exactly tell. Curiosity is taking over me now and I take, yet another, step forward and snort. She is odd, and I don’t think I belong here with her, I doubt the fool will ever find herself again, not until this is, cruelty, disappears apparently, for it seems to upset her deeply. Maybe, she’s lost her family. We’ll see.

The dark mare’s eyes glittered with curiosity. Her mind seemed compelled towards the mare’s odd feeling, but then suddenly, she stopped as the mare blurted out an apology. That confused her more and made her want to, well; dump the mare in the river that flowed beside her, just to make sure she was actually awake. From the looks and sound of it, she was either sleep-walking or day-dreaming; most likely sleep-walking. Hellä chuckled and smirked, her head raising to its normal, prideful reach now. ”You seem upset... Why is this?” She questioned deeply.

This is not real. This is not real! THIS IS NOT REAL! Why can’t I leave her? I want to leave! Is she hypnotizing me? I won’t stay! Why is she controlling me? She can’t do this to me! I have to pull away, I can’t let this, multi-feeling mare, take over my body! I’m stronger. Push! Push! PUSH! I can’t move. Damn it. This is awkward. I don’t know what is wrong with me, I need a doctor. Fast. Before I die, standing in front of this, alien. Her feelings, are um… TAKING OVER ME! Save me! Damn you mare. Where did you come from? Jupiter? But then wouldn’t you have drops of Jupiter in your hair? What, where the fuck did I come up with that?! See! Proof! She taking over my mind and making me say things I don’t even know! Save me, damn it. Hellä!! Breath, dang. Freak much?

Her large dome shook and she tilted her head to the side again. She listened to the two questions half-heartily and then nodded. ”At least there’s a resolution to this sudden deformity.” She slightly chuckled and then parted her lips to answer the next question, but something held the grey back. Hellä’s own dome asked her if she should tell her, knowing the tragic ash-land brought back horrible memories to most of the creatures that had once resided there before the disaster. But then she felt like there was no need to keep it a secret. ”Isilme, the shadowland.” She felt a little hiss roll of her tongue as she spoke of her home as a shadow, for once it had been built of life, now covered in dead waste. It was torture to speak of her homeland, but there wasn’t any reason to keep it hidden, for most knew of it. Maybe even Alysanne knew the slightest knowledge of it.

The painted mare told her of a name, but whether or not to tell the dapple’s name, was a concern. She would rather not give away her name right off the top, but she couldn’t resist, her control or not. Her dark lips were plastered with a strong smirk. ”Hellä,”

The Bloodshed.

Image Credits

Although Alysanne had apologized, she had not expected the dappled grey to ask about it. Really, she had expected her odd behaviour to be shrugged off, ignored even. There really was no explanation given for it, after all – just spacing out and being distracted by all that had occurred to her. She repeated the term used, mostly just out of complete surprise. “Upset?” Alysanne chided herself internally, it was not her habit to mope around and burden her sorrows on others. Surely everyone had better things to worry about and, while she was happy to listen to anyone else pour out their hearts with what was wrong – she rather avoided doing the same. She never wanted her presence to be an imposition on anyone else. “It’s… nothing.” Try as she might to shrug it off, the way her voice cracked of course gave her away – she did not truly think it was ‘nothing’. Perhaps the dappled mare would not have bothered to ask if she did not truly want to know, so with reluctance she summed up what had happened as casually as she could. “It’s just, my friends and I were attacked in our home and one of them is missing.” A story, she was sure, that could be related to by almost everyone in these caves.

She ached to think of Mikey out there still, alone and possibly infected. Of Kahlua and Brisa who she hoped were somewhere down here, safe, and all the others in Helovia who she had not yet met – she really wanted them all to have happier reasons for ending up in these caves. Having heard about the sickness in time, before anyone was hurt, for example.

The fact that she did not recognize the land that Hellä named did not surprise her, though it made her a little disappointed. When she had first arrived in Helovia, she had been delighted to discover that so many of the faces she came across had come from her previous homeland. But it would seem, and she should have expected this, that Nocturne was only a very small origin for all of the faces that surrounded her now.

And it made her sad, to see that bitterness at which ‘the shadowland’ was spoken. She wondered if what had taken Isilme was now here in Helovia, but something about the way that Hellä had spoken made her hesitant about inquiring any further – though she felt like she needed to say something. “Ah! I’ve never heard of Isilme. Though I suppose there’s a lot of places out there beyond my little world. I never realized how big the world was until I ventured here.” Her light-hearted smile returning as she spoke, marvelling in just how great it was that all these places existed and she had no idea! Conversation was easy, far easier than focusing on what was happening and what had happened.

Surely whatever was occurring on the surface would not last for long and they’d be back in their herdlands and everything would be the way it was before she left for Nocturne. Yes, that did seem very likely.

For now, though, she was happy to learn the name of her dappled companion – and her smile grew even more for this green-eyed mare was truly happy. She even said as much: “It’s an absolute pleasure to meet you, Hellä.”

Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
made by the lovely tamme

Unregistered

I just stood there, my body taken over by the silent surroundings. I found myself staring into a complete void. There was nothing around me, all was pitch black. Then it faded. I saw my precious home go down in flames and screeches of painful murder echo through the dark air. I also saw myself running, running from the shadows and flames that were now swallowing my dear shelter. The kingdom fell and busted into a bunch of crumbs, sending dust flying and horses running in complete blindness. They all ran past me, not even taking a look at me. ”Do they not see me?” I wondered to myself but then all my attention turned back to my own flailing body, my younger self. I was running from the flames, but why? ”Turn back! Go back there and fight for your only home you stupid fool!” And although my thoughts were full of determination, I knew there was no way I would be able to fight off the shadows that took over Isilme.

As the dust and smoke came to take over my own ghostly body, my vision turned back to the present. The blue mushrooms were once again divine and sparkling with effect, the river flowed again with pureness, and the green grass was lush as ever. I looked nowhere with dewy eyes, but as I noticed I was being watched again by the mare, my dome shook and I smiled at her, trying to hide away my sorrow feelings. I listened to her mouth speak about her friends and how they were attacked by the ugly residents that found themselves comfy in Helovia. “You’ll find them, or they’ll find you. Most of them that have been dipped in this disease come back to find their loved ones, but you’ll have to cure them before they expose you to it.” I had seen it done before and there had been some unlucky ones that had been infected if they got too close, but then again, this mare had wings. She could fly above and heal from there if she had the will-power to do it.

My hackles rose as she began to talk about Isilme and how she hadn’t seen what had been put in front of her. “You’ll have no luck finding it now… It’s gone.” I growled lowly but tried to keep my nerve controlled, I had longed for company for some time and now that it was here, I didn’t want to scare it away. I walked over to the stream slowly, hoping she would follow. My throat was thick with drought and I needed some nice, cool water to wetter it up a bit before I became dehydrated.

I walked to the edge where it was rather mucky, but really I didn’t care and it actually felt pretty good since I had been walking on the hard cave floor. I bent my neck and slowly put my muzzle to the water. They quivered as they came in contact with the freezing water but I didn’t waste a second to get a drink. I drank, and drank, and drank, until I finally thought I was done, but then I took another sip. After that, well, I felt drunk. Everything was really blurry. I never thought water could get you drunk, but then again, when I looked back at the water, it was sparkling! Water – doesn’t – sparkle!

Image Credits

Hella’s words were not comforting, though she suspected that they weren’t meant to be. Perhaps partially, but on the whole the idea that Mikey might come back to her, but might come back infected took over her thoughts and resulted in her feeling much worse. It was one thing to hold onto the belief that maybe he was safe but unable to find his way back, for whatever reason. Perhaps the presence of others with the infection was making him wary of going to the caves?

The growl in the dapple mare’s voice when speaking about not finding Isilme started Alysanne and the painted mare had to rethink her words to try to discover if she had said anything offensive. She had not thought so? But there was little more to say on the subject, and without an obvious offense she was at a loss as to what she should apologize for.

Her new friend moves away and Alysanne follows, peering into the sparkling stream but not taking a sip herself – not really feeling thirsty herself. Instead she just watched her reflection and from the corner of her eye the dappled mare as she quenched her thirst.

But Alysanne’s mind would not be settled. You’ll find them or they’ll find you buzzed through her mind and she couldn’t stop imagining Mikey as she had seen Aurelia – sick and angry. She felt sick herself just thinking about it. There had to be something she could do about it rather than waiting around here for him to find his way to her. If she could just go back to the surface and look around… if only she was a better flier! It might be even easier.

But she had to do something. Cocooned within her own thoughts, she scrambled for a hasty goodbye. Though, from their conversation she wasn’t entirely sure her presence would be missed much. Hella seemed to be the sort to prefer her own company. “I’m so sorry but I can’t wait around any longer, I need to go see if I can find him.” Finally her green eyes are able to focus and she offered a sad smile, hoping that maybe some day they could meet again and there would be more happiness to share around. “It was a pleasure talking to you.”

(hope you don't mind me ending it here! Seemed like a good place)
Alysanne</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
made by the lovely tamme