the Rift

[PRIVATE] !! A Place For My Head [Cera]

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I was broken. That much was evident. I didn't have my words. I didn't have my facade. In fact, I couldn't put up the facade that I wanted anymore even if I tried. I was definitely weaker and my mind had too many opportunities to float around with the multiple images of death. The multiple avenues that my mind could take the death of my hawk was killing me.

The flames that sprouted from my hooves and hair were melding before my vision. Bright flames were forming in yellows and oranges. Defined flames turning into piles and circles of the colours. And, as my frame collapses in one of the darker corners of the cavern I allow my body to try and squeeze into one ball. My back, if one looks closely, allows someone to easily see the depression in the middle that looks out of place, especially with the flames from my hair and tail lighting up the depression even more than the sunlight would have. Simply more proof that I was broken. Already, I was physically broken from years of abuse. And my aging body now couldn't handle just what my immortal one could. I was far more desperate for some kind of connection than I had been before. But physical scared me - afraid every touch would be something that would allow for me to be broken in half or bruised up even more than before. Emotional couldn't happen because I couldn't speak with anyone. The closest to a connection I had come had been with Alleo, and I had let him know I was going into the next cavern so the didn't panic - basically signed to him not to follow. I needed to be alone. He didn't need to see me break down yet again. I knew that much.

My eyes were trained on the flames at my feet, watching as they began to form into the shape of a hawk. Each flame burning at the creature that was now crying and screaming in my head. Feathers beginning to fall as they were licking with flames. I couldn't figure out if the image was real or not, but I was starting to have a panic attack. My body was wracked with sobs. My chest heaving as tears spilled down my face. And then the image is changing. No more fire, but feathers are being pulled from his body and his bones are being broken. The poor creature crying a little bit as he was kicked into a rock. I'm crying more, my mind unable to take the option of the defenseless bird being completely broken. Then the image switched again. His frame flickering, as if he were an illusion. The flickering getting faster, more common, and then he is gone. My hawk has completely vanished into thin air.

And I'm crying. I'm broken and I'm crying. I can't even think of a happy memory with my hawk. I can just seem images of his death. I can just see images of my body getting beaten against a tree, shoved into a lake, and my hawk being attacked.I can see all the horrors in front of me, but I can't change them. I hope - no I plead - that no one comes into this cavern and sees the flickering of my hooves and hair in this corner. I can't explain what's wrong. I can't say that I won't panic at a touch. I can't say I can do anything except cry.

It seems as though, whenever I need it the most, that I will not have a way to get the connection with another equine. I'm alone to wallow in the torturing images I've been provided...

@[Cera]

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

Since my family had fled the warmth of our homeland, I had trailed behind. What was darkness, and lost innocence of infection, when compared to all I had already been through? I had seen all the darkness I'd ever need in the eyes of the fake father that had shuddered his last breath beneath my blows. Ilaria was curled at the nape of my neck, kneading my right shoulder, and I gave a sigh when she mentally defined her displeasure with my train of thoughts. I had managed to evade all Throat members- at least, the few that knew me- since my entrance into the Sanctuary. Ilaria was grateful for the darkness, being mostly nocturnal, but I ached for the skies above, the openness of the azures I escaped to so often. I missed it. How could I evade those that looked at me with blank, unknowing eyes trapped within the earth? Worse, the ones that watched me with pity or false admiration? I may be the son of the Sultan, and the once long-revered General, but I was not my father. Nor was I leverage to gain their favor. I was just...Cera. Nothing special. Never anything special. Not like Hototo, or Ranjiri, who could outshine me on any day. Regardless of how insignificant I was in comparison, I missed them so badly it drove me to quiet tears when on the cusp of sleep most nights.

Now, I wander. Ilaria sighs at me and moves to curl up on my hindquarters, idly pawing at my tail. She worries for me, and it hurts me to know that I cause it, but I can't even begin to consider the task of patching myself up. Where would I even start? I felt as if I had more cracks than substance, now, and so was just an empty black pit of nothingness. Walking through this plane of life like a ghost with no memories. Even amnesia would be welcome, now. Instead, I walk. I am sore from how much of it I have been doing, but I sleep when tired and drink when parched. My life is monotonous, but I do nothing to fix it. It will do nothing to fix me, after all.

Ilaria, with her superior night vision, spots Rasta first. My hearing, however, is just about on par, and the near-silent sobs that touch my audits concern me. Especially once Ilaria conjures an image in my head of the blind maiden, accompanied by the sad murmur of "It Rasta." I don't even have to think twice before I'm turning, moving towards the crumpled, flaming form of the lady I had defended from the verbal lashing of our herd members. I lower myself beside her, feeling my chest tight and bound at the sound of her agony. Is there anything I can do to help her? Two broken people cannot fix each other. And yet I must try, for her sake.

I fear the burn of those flames, but I would willingly let them eat away every trace of my feathers, burn the entirety of my wing before I let her suffer alone in this hellish world we are trapped in. I have been where she is, crying out for someone who will not show their face, cursing the world and failing to stave off the pangs of loneliness and betrayal that aim right for the weakest parts of us. Instead, I push away that instinctual avoidance of those flames, and I hesitantly- slowly, so that she may jerk away if she desires- lay my wing over the indent of her spine. It is no less gruesome than the wicked scar across my chest, and so I do not fear it like others may. We are all broken in some way. Sometimes it just shows on our skin. I slowly bring her close, if she shall allow me, and Ilaria jumps off to curl beside Rasta's heart, big green eyes looking up at her in concern that is sure to resonate within my own features.

Moving closer, I reach to brush my muzzle across the fresh trails of tears on her soft white cheek, hoping she will accept my touch. How do I comfort her? I don't know what to do, and when I open my mouth, the only thing that tumbles out is not what I'd expected. "Do not feel as if you are alone, Rasta. When things are dark, I will light your way. When you are cold and feel as if you have nobody at your side, I will lay beside you and keep you warm. When everyone else has failed us, I will be here to chase away your demons, and I will keep you safe to the last breath I hold in my lungs." I keep my voice a soft, low murmur directed towards the delicate curves of her ears. I don't even know if this is the right path to take. I have been alone so long, I do not know how to comfort anyone other than myself.

"Memories I may not be able to defend you from, but I will always be here to make new ones with you. Happy ones. I will act the fool to make you smile or hear you laugh. There is nothing I would not do for you, Rasta. I cannot calm your fears, or heal your pains. I cannot erase what is broken on the inside. I cannot even heal what is broken in myself. But two broken souls together, perhaps, can heal one another. I will be here, forever. Until you command me from your side, you have me." I know not what else to say, and I trail off into quiet, frowning softly- if sincerely- towards the pale woman beneath my wing. Not knowing what else to do, I begin to hum. It's a made up song, one I spin as I go along, but I lean to hopefully press my cheek to hers as I let the chords within my throat vibrate slowly. If only I had some sort of magic to help her, calm her. I would do anything to take on the darkness that haunts another mortal's soul. Despite how it corrodes me, it could not hurt worse than seeing her like this.

Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

I'm not myself, that much is obvious. I can't tell up from down. I can't tell left from right. I can't tell my own beating heart from the vibrations that the hoof beats radiate off of the ground. They shake my frame in such a consistent motion that I am losing myself into the dreams and images of death and pain of the one creature that had actually understood me.

I'm not sure what it is that has my frame curling up even tighter into itself, fighting against the pain in my back as I try and push for myself to disappear in this corner, to disappear in this ball. Pain crumbles through my limbs, but I guess it is only the vibrations of the hoof beats that has brought my ears to perk up to attention while the tears continued to stream down my cheeks. It is when I feel the frame of a younger stag hunkering down beside me that I pull my head up from underneath the shelter of my limbs. I watch his wing as it presses up against the dip in my back, my frame wincing at first - suddenly afraid that the pressure is going to be more than I can handle, that I'm going to be killed for having a moment of weakness. But, instead of an unendurable amount of pressure he is simply pulling me closer to his side to offer for some kind of comfort. My broken frame is shifting in closer, relishing the warmth that he produces as the trembling from my pain and anguish take what little control is left of the vessel I am trapped in.

My eyes peer up toward the painted stag who is at my side, cradling me beneath his wing and all I can see is the concern that is filling is features. My eyes close and I drop my head to the ground again, ears fallen to the side in surrender as I feel the little animal curl up right beside my beating heart. It is then that I take in the vibrations surrounding his frame. Cera? Is this really him? I can feel myself melt a little. I don't know why he cares, I don't know what has brought him here, but it is the first time since joining the Throat that I even had the sliver of an idea that maybe I wasn't outcasted in my own home. His muzzle is gently wiping the tears from my cheek and I lean into them, only feeling them disappear for a few seconds as the tears fall again, even stronger and faster this time.

He speaks, and my audits prick up at the words he is saying. So much knowledge for someone who has to be so young. I'm still trembling. The panic from the images I'd been haunted with while trying to work out the method of my hawk's death was taking me over. Grief had stricken much worse than I had ever expected. My eyes don't open, I just allow the waterfall of tears to continue to fall from my orbs as I feel the frown that seems to begin to etch upon his face. He's broken as well - but I couldn't do anything to comfort him when I am not allowed to speak. He leans up against me, though, and presses his cheek to mine. I can feel the vibrations of his song that radiate from his chest into mine as he begins to hum, and with a gentle lip of my muzzle across his cheek, should he allow it, I am burrowing even closer against him. I wince with each movement, pulling myself tighter until my maw is pressing up against the little panda's chest, should she allow it, and my head is completely hidden beneath his wing.

I just want the memories to stop! I just want it to go away!

But I wasn't alone? I had Alleo now. I had Cera now. I had Sohalia - as she had me. Was there more than just grieving that was behind this time of muteness? Was this part of the reason I was forced to lose the gift of carefully crafted words - to force myself to deal with all the pain that I would never allow to surface? To show me that I wasn't truly alone - it was all just figments of my imagination?

But Gods, how could they ever want to be around me when they've seen me this broken? I'm not someone that they would stick around. I'm the person you save just long enough to keep them from killing themselves and then you move on for your sanity. I'm not as perfect as they believe me to be...

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

I realize with a jolt that Rasta can see me. The confusion on her face is evident, and I wonder bemusedly how she'd recovered her sight. I don't question it, but my heart still aches when she leans into my touch. Her tears flow faster than I can brush them away, but I don't give up, because if this simple motion can in any way comfort her then I will do so for as long as she allows me to. Her eyes don't open, after they see me, and I can't find any objection inside my thoughts. Ilaria is well-received where she curls up against Rasta's chest, her fluffy tail curling around the ivory maiden's nearest leg, chirruping quietly in hopes of helping me comfort her. My affection for my bonded is almost overwhelming, and a gentle, knowing wave of love is returned from her. I take strength in that, returning my attention to the crying mare beneath my wing.

Every word I speak is unanswered, and I realize once more that she is mute. Has she somehow switched her ailments? Been granted sight, but taken from the gift of words? I steel myself, because I will be her words. I will tell her everything she needs to hear, because I know she cannot let them flow eloquently like they used to from her own vocal chords. I find myself missing the last time I heard her speak, even if it was during the herd meeting when I'd had to defend her choice of not wanting Gaucho as lead. It was not the best of times, but I would take it any day over this hell we were trapped in.

As I begin to hum, knowing no other way to comfort her verbally, she turns and her lips gently caress my cheek. My own eyes come to a close, focusing only on the vibrations that I share with her, wishing I could be wiser. Smarter. More eloquent. Anything to construct better words with which to reassure her that she is loved and wanted. She may no longer bear the smell of desert flowers and clay, but she is still my sister, my kin. Blood may not be shared between us, but I do not need it to love her as I love my father or Hototo. Ilaria gives a soft, pleased sound when Rasta dips her head to pull her closer. Tiny, soft paws move to wrap around Rasta's features, far more gentle than others give her credit for. Ilaria has always been so gentle, so wise. Sassy and commanding she may be, but she has the heart of a lion, and she gives soft, sweet sounds to soothe the lass we are determined to comfort.

She hides beneath my wing, which are so large in my age now- they had been pretty massive as a foal, I had been both blessed and cursed with them- that it nearly completely conceals her. "I am not good with words, Rasta. I do not know what else to say. When I was a foal, I could barely even speak, abandoned by my mother as I was. But I can always offer this. Ilaria and I, we are always here to hold you. Even if you don't want to tell us why, even if it's just to come and lay with us only to leave again. We will warm you with our love and touch. It's all we can offer. But we offer it gladly, with no reservations or rules." I murmur it into her ear, bending my head beneath my own wing, and lip gently at her forelock should she remain where she is and accept such an action. I just want her to smile. I doubt that she will. I don't know why, but I know I'm not the one who is the reason for her smiles. That is not the role I play.

Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!

The tears continue to flow from my eyes, and most would have given up on trying to wipe them away but Cera doesn't. It's as if, when I lean up against his touch he understands that I just need someone to get rid of these images. I don't care who. I don't care how. But it seems as if the past I'd been trying so hard to keep repressed was surfacing at greater speeds than before and covering me like tidal waves. I was going to drown in my own thoughts at this rate and I didn't know how to swim through my own images. I didn't think it was possible, not when each and every image simply was there because it wanted to drag me down.

His fluffy companion has curled up against my chest, allowing her tail to wrap around my right leg and the little chirrups break me from the images of the flaming bird screeching at death. My hawk was not a phoenix, he would not be able to rise from those ashes...

Slowly, carefully, my mind begins to drag itself from the depths of horrible images that it had been creating. Instead, the sweetness of the hum coming from the young lad's lips has caused my mind to spin, to finally place some of the good memories. And, as the memories of good times begin to keep my frame afloat I duck my head underneath his wing to press up against the little creature beside me. The calming noises from the pair is enough to keep me straight, even when the little creature allows her paws to start to wrap my around my face. Silently, I let out a soft breath, the tears managing to stop for a little bit as my mind evens out on one image.

The darkness I've created, both by closing my orbs and hiding underneath the wing that was offered to me, has made me feel like I was normal again. I was reliant on the vibrations again and it was a sweet thing. The images that danced in front of my eyes were ones from a birds-eye view. Long stretches of water curving around trees and rocks. A cliff and the wind blowing through my hair, trying to wrap the ribbons around my neck in lace-like patterns. And then, my hawk finally returning and curling up against my withers with a content squawk.

Good times. Times I hadn't had a chance to remember yet. And Cera is speaking again, causing my audits to perk up as a few tears slide down my cheeks from the joy of being able to remember something good instead of seeing images of death. He claims he isn't good with words, explaining how he could barely speak at one point. But, he offered more than someone that young could possibly understand. It surprised me, how mature this young lad was. Offering himself to hold me, to let me cry as needed without asking for anything in return. That took strength - strength far beyond what seemed to be a lot of equine's years here. His breath tickled my ear a little, but I didn't flinch. I didn't want to break something I didn't want to ruin the possibility of another relationship, another thing that would remind me maybe I wasn't alone.

Then, his head is tilting so it is also under the protection of his wing, reaching just enough so that it presses up against my forelock. And, then he begins to lip at it, twisting it around. There is comfort in that action. Something I had experienced plenty of times before. But, in a different manner. It had always been right after I'd been beaten. They would play with my forelock and tell me that it was okay, that they still loved me - I just had to learn how to behave and look, that they could fix me by punishing me every time I stepped out of line. And, somehow, I still connected it with love, with care, and my lips curled into a weak smile. I stayed like that, continuing to breathe in his companion and allow the good memories to fill my mind.

I wasn't sobbing anymore. My chest wasn't heaving in a panic, and the flames had leveled out. Yet tears were still falling as the rolls of good memories slowly began to form in my mind and a minuscule level of calm started to try and wash over my form.

[next post rasta'll get up and try and play with him ;3]