the Rift

[OPEN] sparks fly

Azulee Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 hands :: 6 years :: Orangemoon HP: 65.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Valda

Passages too small for wings; reticence lost in a whirlwind of terror and darkness; the wailing of a bedraggled people; the feral sneers of unnatural things. Ardent's daughter moved uncertainly among the lost, the broken, those who huddled in wretched masses counting their blessings like rosary beads. Both pity and jealousy welled in an electric heart, flashing in voltaic eyes like a thousand misgivings; high and low she had searched for Cirrus and Sitka among the saved, but with all her determination, she could not find her sky-colored sister, nor the Hellhound she kept as company. Anguish set in her jaw, ropes of sinew dancing like piano keys along her cheeks as she moved onward through the seemingly endless cavern, wishing she had remained in Valryn afterall. Hooves struck increasingly damp rock, but Azulee took no note of the shifting scenery around her; everything was the same in this skyless world—dark and close and faceless. She felt like a caged bird, trapped in a place with nothing more to offer her than a reprieve from death; but was that what she really wanted? Was life so precious as to remove yourself from your very own domain, from everything that truly mattered, from the wind in your mane and the lightning in your eyes? Was life so rare, so sublime, as to kill yourself a thousand times over as you realize the hundreds of faces which surround you are of no importance?

Sometimes she'd see someone with her sister's eyes, or someone with the curve of her father's neck, or her mother's smile, but those painfully intimate features blurred away into utter unimportance as they became strangers once more. Hooves clattered on increasingly damp stone, and before long, a thread of silver light shone from the darkness, shimmering across dark walls like a beacon of life. Lightning queen paused, ears dancing to and fro with disbelief. She saw entire lifetimes played out on stone as cold as death, pale bodies of light dancing and playing before the drama of this cascade; she saw herself, a girl lost in the throws of her own grief. Azulee paused before the pool, mesmerized.

""

i've got your wild-eyed ways.

credits

Hamaliel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Hamaliel
i'm finally broken, falling too far
burned up in pieces from chasing your stars
I’m a ghost. I lurk in the shadows and simply observe the pleasure and lives of others. I’ve seen lovers whisper romantic words in the darkness, families clutch together and encourage one another, and enemies clash. Never before had I realized what complex and beautiful lives these mortals live. As fleeting as they are, many of them use what life they are given. Watching their lives helps me soothe my uneasy soul and most of all helps me forget. There are still the nightmares lurking, but I can survive them. I’ve lived through far worse than the images that haunt the back of my mind. Pain still lurks in the back of my mind, but that unspeakable pain has ceased and shifted into something else, something more passionate and dark. I try not to think about because all I find myself wondering is what I did wrong and why I couldn’t fix it sooner. My shoulders are slowly improving, there is still some time before I will be able to assist in whatever efforts my herd has been making against the monsters outside. For now I’m focused on healing both body and soul. A broken soldier is a useless one.

I’ve been watching a small group within the room with the glowing fungi. My interest in them fades and I decide I need some time to myself. Slowly I make my way out of the glowing room and head towards the waterfall that has become my personal preference for residence. Much to my disappointment, there is someone else lurking in my favored room. I sigh and decide to get a drink before finding another corner of this prison to be my selected place of solitude. As I walk, my steps are silent and I come up from the left side of the stranger who I realize is a mare, despite her somewhat masculine features. I bend down to get down a drink and dare to take a glance at her. Something about her face tells me she isn’t in the highest of spirits. Part of me wants to flee and let this girl deal with her most likely petty issues herself and find somewhere to be alone. Then another part of me, an empathetic part of me, wants to show at least a bit of concern.

“You look like you carry a heavy heart,” I say as I raise my head, water droplets fall from my chin and into the pool below. My tone lacks it’s usual indifference, and has the slightest compassionate undertones. My face on the other hand is a blank wall that blocks of any emotion that may be going on behind the scenes.There is a very good chance that this mare has no interest in company, so I prepare myself for any kind of harsh rejection. Really if I can handle being disowned, being tossed from heaven, and multiple millenniums of life I can probably handle a bit of rejection.

[Apologies if this was intended for someone else. Let me know and I'll delete the post if it was!]
image credit

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Will you still love me
When I'm no longer young and beautiful
I know you will

Ampere had clung to the shadows since her first encounter with on of the wraiths, out there beyond the embrace of the cave. She had not stepped out of their walls since, remembering too well the chaos and the confusion, helped none the more that she brought it upon herself with her foolishness. It helped her understand better at least; she regretted the words she had shared with Midas, his fear was well deserved.

She had not given up. Ampere did not know how to give up. She was subdued though, keeping quiet and hugging the walls like her very life depended on their touch. How laughable she'd loathed the caverns before, thinking them a cage. They still were, she could not deny that, but what bars they had did not hold her in as much as they held them back.

She drifted through the stone passages, bouncing from one horse to the next. So many had come it was impossible to be alone here, something which Ampere was eternally grateful for. Even if the countless faces were unknown to her, they were a promise of hope, of survival, of normalcy. Each one of them was precious, except maybe Oxy.
Still, she was not content. Where is Mesec?
Her heart yearned for him in her sorrow, the bodies that pooled around her something to wade through but their heat and their smiles were nothing compared to his.
And Gaucho? she simpered. She'd nearly forgotten the brute, her memory dancing only when she'd turn a corner and find his scent lingering there, a much more powerful musk than most stallions could boast of. That's all he ever was though, an illusion she was chasing and though it proffered some interesting dreams it did not seal the holes in heart.

Would anyone be able to?

A voice drifting across the way drew Ampere from her reverie. Her head, lulling by her knees, lifted half-heartedly as the male's words struck home with her. So heavy hearted I'd fall from the sky...
As her gaze focused however she saw the roan mare beside him, the object of his interest. Ampere gave pause, content to thread her way back into the darkness, until she saw the scars along his hide. A similar scenario had existed between her and Africa, but Ampere did not have the energy to be angry about the grounded pegasus today. Instead she felt an overwhelming grief and gently began to sob in the corner.

This was it. She was breaking. The waves had risen too high, the storm too powerful. The shore would be overrun. She would drown.

"I'm fine," she choked out, trying to hobble nonchalantly past the duo, unwilling to succumb to a watery tomb here of all places with two strangers. Her voice cracked with the tears that began to patter down her cheeks, but she shook them off, relentless in her resistance.

[I'M SO SORRY YOU GOT WEIRD EMOTIONAL AMPERE flails]

A M P E R E
PRETTY FACE AND ELECTRIC SOUL

ellsouille.deviantart.com with permission

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Valda

In the dimly illuminated room she felt the stirring of air unlike the natural draught the waterfall proffered; it promised warmth and flesh, a living thing materializing from the cold stone. She felt it come beside her, as light and silent as a feather falling through the dark. Pretending to be startled from her reverie, the lightning queen jerked her head to face him, a golden-maned paint drinking solemnly at her side. Azulee meant to give him a brisk look-over, but instead found herself taken aback to the gruesome scars on his back. Were they the sad remainders of wings, ugly holes where majestic appendages once grew? She pressed her own pair closer to her body, glad of the welcome weight they offered—she could not imagine how it felt not being able to fly. Through a stony countenance, the stranger offered empathetic words, and the girl instantly diverted her eyes of his scar, shameful of her own morbid interest. "Don't we all, in these trying times?" she murmured, attempting a rather unconvincing smile.

Before she could think of anything else to say to break the humid silence between strangers, a laden sob broke it for her. Azulee's head jerked toward the noise, white-rimmed ears perked alertly as glinting electric eyes strained to pierce the swarthy darkness. It did not take long for the newcomer to reveal herself: a small, dark pegasus with intriguing markings the color of her own eyes etched into her skin. I'm fine, she said, brushing past them as if tears did not glitter in her eyes. The warrior blinked. "Why do you cry, then?" she said bluntly, finding herself unable to generate consoling words. "Trying to hide sadness is a fool's errand," she said more gently after a brief silence, thrusting her nose toward the mare in an offer of sympathy.

Azulee moved a stiff two steps toward the disdraught mare, frantically wondering what to say to appease her tears when she had barely dried her own. "I am Azulee—" the roan offered, sparing the wingless grey a glance. "What ails you so? I am but a stranger, but at least let me share your pain," she said awkwardly. Was this what being selfless was? She wondered how her own mother did it so flawlessly; how was it possible to not feel like a fraud while trying to calm another?

credits

Unregistered
Hamaliel

I listen to the saddened mare but cannot think of any comforting words. My heart doesn’t belong in this land. I cannot grieve over something that means nothing to me. Not long after the first mare speaks comes another. “The only person you’re fooling is yourself. Embrace the heartache.” My tones have softened and I try to give sympathy towards both of these creatures. In a way we are similar. For just as their heart yearns for the land they once knew, I yearn for the same.

The first mare that I spoke to went towards the other one and spoke with her. Unlike her I keep my distance. I almost feel as though I am intruding upon something intimate and deep. One had claimed they were strangers, but they at least had a mutual sorrow. A sigh passes from my lips and I step towards the mares, but I still stand a few feet away from them. Words swirl about in my mind but I can piece them together into sentences. Part of me is tempted to let his other mare offer condolences and just move abut on my way. I am beginning to prefer to observe the lives of mortals not get myself involved.

“I am Lee. There is little I can do for you friend other than be a listening ear,” I say softly and there is emotion creeping onto my faces. The stonewall mask breaks and I let myself give into the soft expression that has wanted to break through since stepping near the first figure.

"blah blah blah"
image credit

Will you still love me
I know you will

She is noticed of course, Ampere is not stealthy but in rare instances where it seems luck is awarded to her more than skill. Even in the dark her markings strike out like a neon sign. Yet even so, she finds herself alone more than not. If not for lack of notice, then it must be lack of want.

The lightning marked mare approaches first, her voice gentle, but her words firm. It brings a choked laugh out of Ampere as she responds, "that explains it then," implying herself a fool. She was normally not so candid with her weaknesses, but it took so much effort to hide them and she hadn't the strength to do so now.

The stallion drifted nearer then, his voice like a hollow noise upon Ampere's ears, her head still slung low. It was at least enough between the three of them that her visible tears and shuddering breaths of sadness were quieted, Ampere regaining some modicum of self control now that she had let some of it escape and drain her. "Is that what you've done?" she whispers to him, the noise desperate in the shadow of the cave. Ampere's head lifted, the shine of sorrow evident in the edges of her irises, drowned in blue. "Is that how you can walk around so easily?" Her words are harder now, almost forced out of her throat with the power of the rising emotion, "rather than...fly?"

She turns her head away, a heavy sigh tumbling from her nose, her heart in turmoil. Anger and grief and exhaustion all tumbling together - she wishes she could sleep it off, but the feelings continue even in her dreams. Azulee breaks the silence and Ampere's eyes turn back, studying the girl, their eyes similar as they set upon each other. "I'm sure you've enough of you own pains to not be needing some of mine," Ampere replied, proffering her a weak smile, grateful for the attempt at companionship. The moment is ruined however as Lee speaks up, just as empty as before. Ampere's teeth grind against each other, her ears flicking to her neck briefly as she places her attention upon him.

"Is that all you can do, give up?" she asks him hotly, in a way also asking the same of herself. Her body answers for her as her passion overwhelms her weariness, feathers bristling with energy she'd thought lost. The wraiths had chased her back into this rocky prison, but the Gods be damned if she would accept this as her only fate, as the stallion did. "I refuse to stand down," she nearly shouts, her teeth clenched with the force of her breath. tears fall freely from her eyes once more, but she weeps now for the complacency of her peers, a sorrow seeped in anger. "You can never give up!"

A M P E R E

Valda

Voltaic eyes scrutinize the paint's gilded face; the grotesque seems disinterested in her, lacking to offer an appropriate response, and the lightning maiden is vaguely irked at this oblivion. Why approach her for company if he was not going to at least attempt at the dull monotony of small talk? How contemptuous she is of him with his hideous scars and blank gaze, the lack of polite condolences and empty apologies; but she holds her tongue. To condemn him for silence when any insincere words of the pegasus' would not comfort her would be at the height of selfish mannerisms. Instead, she lets her attention drift away from him, regal in her wordless condescension, allowing her gaze skip from illusions painted on the soaked walls to the lion itself, a roaring pillar of water that screams defiance to the silence. The daughter of the Ardent is weighted; her gaze is a heavy, solemn thing as she lets it roam, watching the sparkle of water and glisten of damp rock. In this quiet between them, filled only with the shrieks of water plummeting into the pool, perhaps it is unsurprising that she welcomes a change of company— even if it is hindered by the weight of choked tears and misery on a fierce face.

Azulee stiffens marginally at the older mare's agreement, suddenly uncertain if her response had been as pertinent as she had deemed; if the mare called herself the fool, was it wrong of her to had led strangely-tattooed woman in that direction? Then she shrugs off her worries without further reasoning. If the mare wanted to call herself a fool, so be it— who was she to stop her? "Everyone can be an idiot sometimes," the lightning maiden parries, with a faint grin tousling her lips, "we all make mistakes... some just make bigger mistakes than others, wouldn't you agree?"

The slender slip of a girl watches the stallion who offered her no comfort come nearer; slim ears twist to the scarred, listening to his hollow words, the translucent smile; she harks as the mare's voice hardens to steel, and there is no silk to cloak it, only her hoarse demands. Quiet sapphire eyes drift over to Lee, wondering how he will respond, wondering if she should make peace between them before things might take a turn for the worse. But she is not her mother, keeper of endless, enduring kindness. She is the daughter of the Star-breather and the Ardent, grand-daughter of the Fireslayer and the Weaponmaster, and she will not bend her crown to anyone but those who deserve her loyalty; so far, the surrealistic stallion has done nothing to her that would catch her fleeting heart and feral friendship.

Attentions shift and sway, as the unknown mare answers her efforts at courtesy; Azulee counts herself rather fortunate that the mare does not unload troubles onto her shoulders. Her intents were companionship, but she can't say she really wants to know everything about a stranger (and didn't she have enough problems with her family already?) "You're right, but I was trying to be polite," the lightning maiden laughs, a riotous, cheerful sound in this dark and deep place, shunting out of her mind her own misery. Moping around is nothing becoming, she thinks to herself.

The maid gives a start, feathers rippling in unfelt wind, as the black mare cries out, wielding her voice like a weapon of choice. A wild mane shakes out over storm-painted shoulders; she draws herself tall. Beside Ampere, she is long-legged and delicate, but she manages to capture some marginal strength in the arch of her imperious neck and the raising of her wings to half-mast. "Of course you can't!" Azulee snaps, her voice blunted and unfettered by civility. "Yet what can we do in these times but stand by and wait for the darkness to fade? We can't fight shadows!"

credits

hard mode—HP: 65/65

physical force and magic is permitted to be used on Azulee at any time provided it does not involve powerplay (unless specified otherwise); please contact me before attempting to kill.
please tag me!

Unregistered
Hamaliel
I’m gradually finding myself more and more unwelcomed in the presence of these two mares. A sigh passes from my lips as I can hear a question pass from the newer of the two mares. “I walk because I have no other choice. But by embracing my heartache I know the pain will cease… Over the many years I’ve lived, that’s one of the lessons I’ve learned.”[/u][/i] Of course I realize they may not believe I’m an older individual, as I look as a newly fullgrown stallion. The only true scars upon my flesh are the burns. At least my body isn’t beaten down and scarred like others. I can begin my mortal life with the full assets of youth.

I shift slightly as the two mares converse. Females never were my thing before, so why would they be now? My encounters with them were few and far between. Now I don’t consider myself superior to the opposite sex, I just believe them to be enigmas. Perhaps as I grow into my mortal flesh I can begin to understand them. This situation hasn’t helped me in the slightest of course.

The darker mare asks me a question, and my ears perk forward. “Did I give up?” I challenge, “you don’t know my story nor who I am. I simply don’t find reasons to get riled up over ever simple thing. Don't mistake control or helplessness for giving up!” It takes a moment for me to realize the slight harshness of my tone and how much I raised it. A sigh passes from my lips and I shake my head. “I’m sorry I even bothered you two. It’s obvious I’m not welcome here.” With that I turn and walk off into the caverns, hoping to find a place for some solitude.
[Hamaliel is out =I sorry for the wait]
"blah blah blah"
image credit

Will you still love me
I know you will

He responds with anger, but she does not flinch. It is a typical reaction she manages to goad out of others and it speaks volumes of their character. If only he managed to maintain such passion long term, born of his heart rather than his mouth in order to be defensive. He deflates as quickly as he puffed up, slipping away into the caverns, slipping away from Ampere.

"YOU HAVE OTHER OPTIONS!" she called out after him, taking a step or two his way before halting, realizing he could not be helped by her if he would not first help himself. He said he'd come to terms with the loss of his flight, but didn't he see that was exactly giving up? With all the Gods' magic running virile through this land surely there was a miracle to be had by him? She snorted, dismissive, "There are always options..."

Her attention riveted back to Azulee as the younger girl called out just as fiercely, her excitement ushering a grin onto Ampere's lips, still streaked from the tears which had since grown dry in her eyes. The storm painted mare, her cousin (unbeknownst to her), had a point though. She spoke fervently, the enthusiasm contagious as they fed off one another, but it did not change the defeat of truth within the syllables she shouted. Ampere would not give up so readily though.

"Everything has a weakness," she spoke quieter now, but no less impassioned, the words having to fight to get past her teeth which she clenched with an unyielding anger and defiance. "Alone, there are none to be found... I have tried. Ampere trailed off then, remembering the screaming demon that had attacked her and Brighid that fateful day. "But, If we would all work together, we could defeat them, I'm sure of it!" Her eyes were glittering with new-found hope, bolstered by the change that had come over Azulee. She glanced her way, a rough smile parting her lips, making her markings squint against her cheek. "What say you?"

A M P E R E