the Rift

[PRIVATE] one day i'll fly away [Rasta]

Alleo Posts: 115
Hidden Account atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 12 HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

How long had he been confined underground? A few days? Weeks? A month? The time all ran together and it was maddening. There were times when he didn't know what time of the day it was because he didn't pass by Sanctuary entrance on a daily basis. As the time dragged by he began to realize just how much he missed the sun on his back and the clover beneath his hooves. He missed the monotony of patrolling the Foothills borders and running off anyone that wasn't welcome. He missed his sister because they had not spoken properly since she had used her magic on him and ran off after he'd tried to encourage her to find her own way in life and not rely so heavily on him.

Alleo sighed as he stared at the reflection of his scarred face and wondered what season it was in the world above. As he lowered his head toward the water to drink there was something that caught his eye and he stopped and stared again, but this time he focused on something under the water instead of his reflection on the surface. The lighting was too dim for him to be able to see it properly, but it was enough to spark his curiosity and so he dipped his muzzle into the water and felt around until his lips bumped against something. His mouth opened and he gingerly closed his teeth on the object, lifted his head, and backed away from the water to an area where he could see better.

The stallion lowered his head once more and laid the object on the mossy ground and stared at it, bewildered at what he had just found. A hawk? Immediately his mind drifted off to Rasta and he thought about how much she would like it, whatever it was. Maybe she could put it in her hair, he felt that it would look nice there. The only problem was convincing her to take it. He suspected that she didn't like trinkets with how adamant she had been about him having the amulet that she had found.

Speaking of Rasta, he needed to find her again.

"."
i'm the colorless sunrise that's never good enough</style>

Credits

Rasta Posts: 305
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1hh :: six (ages in Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Ettore :: Red-Tailed Hawk :: None Abba
I slowly brought myself back deep into the caverns. I wasn't sure I wanted to stay stuck in these caves anymore but I didn't want to do much else. It was all horrible. It was all nearly impossible to really function with the thoughts and memories that were running through my head. So I crawled up closer towards the glowing room and tried to find a place to rest.

As I stumbled into the cavern I could feel my pulse in my back, the uneven falling of it showing clearly now that I had no true way to realign it. It would take the sun and a place to pop it to get it back in place, and that would even be painful as it was. No. I would worry about it later, I'd deal with the constant, dull pain that radiated through my limbs for now. It was better this way. Much, much better.

So I crawled into the glowing room, once again staring in awe at the way all of the foliage radiated light, before catching a familiar stag standing near the water. Instantly, I picked up a trot and gracefully picked my way closer to him. A gentle bump of my maw against his shoulder as I pass by his right side, and then I drop my maw into the water. A long gulp of the refreshing liquid and I'm attempting, once more, to act like the world is okay. But it's not. And I doubt it ever will be. The darkness seems to be one of my only outs. The darkness seems to be my friend. But it's the darkness that hurts me the most.

Do I even know myself anymore?

Mystified, just spinning 'round in circles
Drowning in the silent screaming with nothing left to say

ali

A smile curved the edges of Alleo's mouth when the mare he had just been thinking about suddenly appeared and bumped her muzzle against his shoulder. Usually it took a lot of praying to Laima for him to have that amount of luck. It made him feel good to know that the Goddess was watching over him even when he was in a land far from his native one. He turned his head toward the pale mare and reached his muzzle out to brush against her side. "Rasta." He spoke her name softly and watched her as she dipped her head down to drink from the stream that he had just pulled the trinket from.

Alleo liked to think that he was getting better at reading Rasta's body language and understanding her, but without her actually being able to tell him when something was wrong he couldn't be positive. At that moment he felt that she was upset about something, but she wouldn't be able to tell him what without having to play charades. There was also a lurking suspicion that she didn't want to let him know when she was upset, which if that was the case it was silly.

"Close your eyes." He said a moment later. "I have something for you." The stallion waited patiently until Rasta had done what he asked her to then he picked up the hawk shaped clip and stepped over to her. He touched his muzzle to her neck before tucking the clip securely into her mane and when he was sure it wouldn't fall and shatter on the ground he stepped back. "Okay.. open your eyes."

"."

Credits

I gently bumped my maw against his shoulder as I passed, my eyes catching him as he turned and brushed his muzzle against my side. A gentle whisper of my name and then he seemed to watch me as I took a drink of water.

Mind you, the confinement of the caves was beginning to eat away at my soul. The struggle of flashing images was tearing at my mind, and the movements I took were also hesitant. So afraid that one wrong movement would shatter my back that I was now constantly afraid of what was going on. It had been ages since my back had acted up, but it had also been ages since I'd felt something so tangible as the pain that splintered across my back in moments like this.

As I pulled my head back up from the water I stepped over to the side and peered up at him with a gentle smile upon my lips. It is then that he said to close my eyes, that he had something for me. Pain. It was about time that it came - no relationship ever offered anything except pain.

I watched him, a bit of confusion flooding my orbs before I finally gave in and allowed my orbs to slide shut. My muscles tensed as I felt his frame inch in closer to mine, my breath getting stuck in my chest, my lungs, my throat. His muzzle pressing up against my neck for a second and I can't help but to flinch, waiting on the lips to raise and the bare teeth to press against my flesh, to press and then dig in as if he were attempting to claim me. It had been done plenty of times before, it was a routine I was accustomed to. But, when no bite came the tension in my muscles only increased as I felt loose strands of my mane being pulled back and clasped in something. A thicker loop of hair pulled away from my flesh and I can feel him stepping back, telling me to open my eyes.

I hadn't realized how long I had been holding my breath until I had basically gasped for air, the oxygen filling my lungs. I step toward the water again, trying to keep my gaze from meeting his - I didn't want him to see the fear, the panic, that had welled up in them for nothing. All relationships ended in some kind of pain, I was expecting it - I was prepared for it. But he had been nothing but kind. He had not done one thing to hurt me. No he had promised he would protect me. Just that image of fear in my eyes had to be a betrayal - but I couldn't get rid of it, not yet. So I tried my hardest to keep my gaze from him and instead peered into the water at my reflection. My eyes locking on the trinket that was now clipped into my mane. It was glass. It was a hawk. It was a decoration that made me easier to break.

I'm shaking my head. No. No. I don't deserve it. I don't. I don't. My ears are pinning a little bit, but it's no longer the fact that it is a trinket - making me look like I'm fancier, like I'm loved, like I'm cared for - that is bothering me. No. It's the fact that it's a hawk. More memories flood my cranium and I'm shaking my head again. I don't know what to think. I don't know what to say - if I could even say it. I just. I don't know. And when I finally allow my eyes to meet his gaze all that's left is an uncertainty and a broken-ness that can't be fixed.

I don't deserve to be pretty. I don't deserve to be noticed. Maybe I don't even deserve to be... happy... After all, he had been starting to make me happy - hadn't he? But I'd probably screwed that all up. Probably screwed it all up with one look of fear in my eyes...

ali

For a reason that Alleo didn't completely understand the look in Rasta's eyes stung him a bit. It suddenly looked like she didn't trust him and expected him to have less than pure intentions. He tried to ignore the way it made his heart beat harder and his stomach churn uncomfortably, but it was nearly impossible. He couldn't help but wonder why she would look at him like that. Hadn't he promised that he would keep her safe? Why would he make his own word worth nothing by hurting her, himself? Once again he found himself wishing that she could speak so they could talk about what was going on. Why she was looking at him like that.

His movements were quick and gentle as he clipped the hawk clip into her mane then he stepped back, his gaze falling from the trinket he'd found to the water where she would see her reflection. He waited. He watched. He listened. Her gasp for air made it more apparent that she had been expecting some form of physical pain. He had done the same thing when he'd been a boy and waiting for his father to punish him. For whatever reason he'd always felt that holding his breath would make the pain hurt less. It didn't, but he'd still held his breath when he knew it was coming.

This made him feel ... it made him feel like he was the bad one. Like he was just like his father, dealing out punishment to those who were beneath him. But he wasn't his father. He didn't hurt anyone without a damned good reason. And he wouldn't hurt someone who was relying on him for protection and comfort.

His ears fell back against his head as Rasta shook her head and he sighed quietly. "I thought you would like it." He sounded defeated, though he tried not to. "Since it was a hawk... like your old companion." He shrugged and tried to play it off like it wasn't a big deal. She'd only rejected something he'd found. It wasn't like he'd gone off and had it made for her. So what did it matter if she was the first one he thought about when he'd found it. "You don't have to keep it if you don't like it." He took a few steps back from Rasta before turning and walking to an area where he could graze on the moss covered floor while keeping an eye on her like he always did.

"."

Credits

Quick. Gentle. No pain. It was the complete opposite of what I had expected. It had to have been my gasp for air that had caused things to click together in his skull. I felt sick. It was my fault that he was tensing up. Some kind of reaction was stirring up inside of him and it wasn't necessarily a good one.

I shuddered, stepping back and shaking my head. I could feel his ears fall back against his head and as I open my eyes to peer up to him I can see them straight back. And then, he is sighing. He said he thought I would like it. And I probably would have liked it had I not been so tortured for so long. Trust, that thing that was so easily broken and could ruin things so quickly when it wasn't given and it should have been. He was shrugging, but the tense muscles that I could feel with my eyes closed and peering down at the ground. He then said I didn't have to keep it if I didn't like it, and a few tears are sliding down my cheeks.

Why do I always screw up my chances to be happy? I always screw it up! I went to move forward, but his body turning around was what had me frozen in place. Screw up. Screw up. Screw up. Can't do anything right. He probably hates me right now. He probably hates my guts. I did something to break him without trying to. I couldn't stop that gut feeling. I couldn't stop the images. I can't change who I am. But I'd been hoping that I might have a new chance here. That maybe I could start over. Start over completely.

He doesn't leave, though. No. He'd still gone to the side, looming in the shadows to protect me like he said he would. A sad glimmer of hope is pushing me forward. My limbs trying to fill the space that is now between us. If there is anything that I can do to keep this relationship alive. I'd broken it. I need to fix this. The distance seems so wide, when I don't know if I have anyone and I just need someone to be there. I need to not ruin a chance at something like this. I need this chance at a new life, at a place to start over.

I pull up by his side and drop my maw down near where he was grazing. I try to meet his, and brush up against it, blowing out a small breath of air. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm breaking a little bit. Breaking way too much. I don't know what to say. I want to fix this, but I can't talk - I can't explain. I can't offer a reason for the way I had acted. I can't try and pick myself up. I have no ability to do that anymore. A gentle brush across his neck, if he so allows, and I try to lip at the amulet that I had given him - the one that he deserved, the one he had earned. I'm sorry. Forgive me, if you can.... And my maw rests against his heart.

Could he even forgive me? Was it possible?

ali

This feeling of disappointment wasn't something unfamiliar to Alleo, he'd felt the same emotion countless times in his childhood, but somehow it felt different. It was unlike the disappointment he'd felt in his mother and father. Unlike the disappointment he'd felt with himself when he allowed himself to be used as a mindless weapon. Maybe it felt different because this time he wasn't disappointed in someone else. He was disappointed that Rasta hadn't accepted a little trinket that showed his affection. His grazing paused and he stared hard at the ground. Affection? Where had that word come from? Where had that feeling that accompanied the word come from?

His grazing was set into motion once more when Rasta was by his side again, her muzzle dropping down near his as he grazed. He didn't do anything to push her away because he had promised that he wouldn't hurt her and he knew quite well that emotional pain was just as real as physical. He lapsed back into a state that he had been in for most of his life, emotions tucked somewhere deep inside and locked away. He'd been a fool to let himself get attached to a mare that had only asked him to protect her. What was he thinking? She could actually like him as more than just a protector? Maybe he really was as big a fool as his father had told him he was. It was the only explanation he could think of.

Her muzzle brushed against his neck before she lipped at the amulet that she had given him. He stills as her muzzle comes to rest against his chest and he almost felt as if she'd stabbed him there. Alleo sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly, his head rising enough so that his voice wouldn't be muffled against the mossy floor. "I would never do anything to hurt you." He said quietly, his ears falling back against his head once more. "I thought you trusted me." He thought but refrained from voicing that thought. His head turned so that he could look at the pale mare from the corner of his eye. He wanted to say more, but what was there to say? What could he ask a mare who couldn't speak for herself? He could only be thankful that it was a trinket he'd given her and not his heart. But could he really give that away? He was beginning to think she'd stolen it the first time she'd curled against his side for protection and warmth.

He blinked and shifted his gaze away as that thought popped into his head of its own accord. It all was beginning to make sense in his head, but he wanted to deny it. Love wasn't something that came to stallions like him. It was a concept that was foreign to him and a word that was all too strange and downright weird. But maybe it made a little bit of sense?

"Love." He thought as he snorted quietly. "Who would have thought?" It was something he probably wouldn't be able to admit out of fear that she'd reject him like she had the hawk clip... the one that she still wore in her hair after he'd told her she didn't have to keep it. Maybe that was a good sign.

"It looks good on you." His voice was still quiet as he spoke the compliment.

"."

Credits

I'd broken him. I'd done too much too quickly. This entire mess was my fault. And I couldn't fix it. He didn't do anything as my muzzle pressed up near his own, just kept on grazing as if mine wasn't even there. There was a new tightness in my chest at the thought that he might not care. The emotions were twisting around in my head. I couldn't really place any of them, at least not with their real names. I was confused as to why I felt hurt for no reason. Confused as to why so much guilt radiated as I felt him still completely when my maw pressed against his heart. So much sadness at the thought that he might think I was only staying by him for the protection - at the thought that he was only staying by me because he had promised.

He sucks in a deep breath and raises his head just enough so that his sound isn't screwed up. His voice is quiet, broken. His ears falling back against his head as he speaks. I'd hurt him. I try to meet his gaze, but he seemed to only want to look at me out of the corner of his eyes and the gaze that is meant to be an apology just won't meet his.

And then he was blinking and looking away from me. Tears slide from my eyes again, turning my head away for a second as I attempt to blink them out of the way. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hurt you... But he couldn't hear that. I couldn't speak to him. I couldn't explain it. How was I so good at screwing things up? Just... how?!

His voice is quiet, and I just manage to even catch what he's said. It looks good on me? Was that even possible? Nothing could look good on me. Nothing could, nothing had. But the thought mattered more to me than the fact that I didn't think I actually looked good. My head tilts to the side a little, ears perking up a little bit. Did he mean it? Did he really mean it?

All the emotions are twisting around. And, as I try to sort through them only one keeps popping back up in my head. Love. And the realization of that has my heart starting to race a little bit. Am I really capable of this? Can someone as broken as I be allowed to feel such a strong emotion? Do I actually still have this ability to understand what I'm doing?

But I don't care if I have the ability anymore. I want him to know I care, even if I'm slightly confused on how to show it without it looking like I just want the protection. I try to press up against his side, lipping at his heart a little bit and then trying to play with his ear if he would allow it. I care. I care. I really do care! Please... Just don't be mad... I tremble a little bit, anxiety of being shoved away - of the feelings not being returned as they welled up inside of me - is sliding through my limbs. Could he understand it? Would he understand it? Would he accept it? Or would he think I was stupid and only be staying to keep his promise? It was slowly tearing me apart - not being able to say anything, to let him know I really did care - that it wasn't just for protection anymore, it was for the idea of happiness that I'd never thought I'd be able to get close enough to find.

ali

He tried hard to slip back into the role of a protector and nothing more. He needed to cut loose whatever attachment had formed between himself and Rasta because she'd only asked him (in not so many words) to protect her. If anything he was probably supposed to stand off at a distance and watch her as she went about her daily life. Observe her and the actions of any other horses (especially stallions) that she interacted with. But how could he successfully do that now that he knew the depth of the emotions he was feeling when she was around him? The jealousy he felt when he saw her with other stallions made more sense and the desire for her to always be near and touching him also made a hell of a lot more sense and it made him sigh.

Alleo could hear his grandmother's voice ringing in his ears, telling him that he needed to be himself and not force himself to conform to the ideal that his father had held for him. He had spent all of his life being exactly what he was supposed to be and so little being who he actually was. With Rasta he could let his guard down and enjoy her company in a way he had been unable to enjoy many others. The mute mare had managed to squeeze her way into his heart, but in the same breath she'd managed to cut part of it away and he'd been fool enough to let it happen. And he would continue to be a fool because he had promised to protect her and he couldn't break his promise just like he couldn't bear to see her hurt.

She pressed against his side and lipped at his chest where his heart was then nibbled at his ear. His ear twitched and he tilted his head away as her whiskers tickled it. He then lifted his head completely and looked down at the small mare, his mind going a hundred miles an hour as he began to wonder what she was doing. "What are you doing?" He finally asked, though he knew that she woudn't be able to answer him. His gaze swept over her before settling on the clip in her hair.

"Do you like it?" He sounded unsure, but what if that was her way of saying thank you? He didn't understand why she would be saying thank you after she'd said no, but he wouldn't know for sure unless he asked and she could shake her head 'no' or nod her head 'yes'. "I know your old hawk is gone... but I thought you'd like it. I don't know if it looks like him, but if it does you could think of it like ... he's still with you. Or something..."

His ears fell back against his head again as his uncertainty shown through and he could have kicked himself because she'd made him lower his guard again. He'd opened himself up to her but this time he was prepared for her to kick him back into his place as her protector and nothing more.

"."

Credits

I shifted my weight, pressing up against him. I allowed my maw to nibble at his ear, fine when it twitched and he tilted it away for a second. But, what caused my heart to tear was when he pulled away completely and asked what I was doing. My eyes fell for a moment, chest tightening. Trying to show I care... But, alas, he couldn't read my mind. It was slowly reaching the point that I wish he could, though. Things would probably be a lot easier that way. Then he could understand all of these reactions, he would know that I cared - that I hadn't meant to shatter anything when I was shaking my head.

He asked if I liked it, and my gaze lifted again trying to meet his before I bobbed my head. Yes. But I'm not pretty, I don't deserve to be pretty. I'm not allowed to be. I can't be - because I'm just not. I'm bland. I'm meant to be hidden. Couldn't he see that. But he was talking again after the bob of his head, saying he knew my hawk was gone but that he'd thought I'd like it. There is a gentle smile on my lips as I nod my head again. It's fine. The thought was great. But it's not like I could say that.

No. I couldn't. But, his ears falling back in uncertainty has me peering at the ground. Love. If the Gods had really decided I deserved it then a show of affection, of blatant shoving it in his face would be the decision. It would decide whether I was going to be left with a protector who I cared a bit too much for, or someone who returned my affections. But how to show it so blatantly.

Ground. Draw a heart. I moved my frame a little bit so that I created a rather large heart in the glowing moss. And then, I positioned myself so that I stood inside of it before reaching for his amulet. Once I had clasped onto the hair used to act as a necklace I tried to tug on it, to get him to come into the heart I had just made. But maybe the point is that I care. Maybe the point is that I... I could love you if I am actually allowed to be given the chance at it...

ali

Alleo had to admit to himself that he did feel a bit better when Rasta nodded her head that she liked the hawk. He studied her eyes and found there there was nothing shining in their depths that would make him think that she was lying. A very small smile curved the corners of his mouth, but it faded away almost as soon as it came. The confusion set in moments later when he thought about her shaking her head. If she liked it why had she shaken her head? Shock? The more he thought about it the more confused he got and the more he began to think that maybe they had both overreacted to something neither of them completely understood.

He was pulled out of his musings and back into the present when Rasta began to move. The stallion watched, unsure of what she was doing or why, but soon her shuffling hooves made a shape. One that he recognized quite well. There had been a time or two when he'd asked his grandmother about love and she'd explained it to him using words and symbols. Symbols like the one that Rasta had just drawn and was standing in.

His head popped up a bit when Rasta reached for him, but he didn't step back from her, but instead allowed her to take hold of the amulet she had given him. It took a few tugs before he allowed himself to be moved forward so he stood inside the heart with her. Alleo's head tilted as he looked at Rasta, his mind buzzing with a thousand things at once. "A heart?" He sounded dumbfounded as he stared at the pale mare. "....love?" His voice trailed off and he stood a moment more before he reached to touch his muzzle to Rasta's cheek.

It certainly was a turn of events he hadn't been expecting, but at the same time he didn't think she had expected it either.

"."

Credits

He seemed to study my gaze, as if he was expecting me to lie about liking the trinket that was in my hair. I loved it, even if I didn't feel such adornments looked right on me. It almost felt like I was trying to pretend to be something that I wasn't - acting like I was cared for enough to be wrapped with all of them. But, as he seemed to accept it as truth there was a small smile that began to happen at the corners of his mouth.

So. I started to move. Dragging my feet and creating a heart. My mind begging that he would understand this. That the most blatant show of it would stir some kind of reaction. As I reached out for him while I stood in the center he only popped his head up a little. One tug. Two tugs. Maybe even three tugs. But he was moving towards me after it. And then, he was standing inside of the heart with me. His head tilting to the side as he looked at me before he managed to form words. A heart? A nod from me. Yes. A heart. His voice trailed into the next word. Love? And it trailed back off. I nodded my head again, eyes peering up at him. A nervous edge was in my frame. Muscles trembling in minor anxiety at the idea that he now had the compete opportunity to shatter what was left of my broken soul. He seemed to stand there for a moment before he reached out, pressing his muzzle against my cheek. A small tremble, and a gentle smile. There is a prick of my ears and I can't help but to lean against his touch for a few moments before I pull back. My head tilts to the side, a questioning gaze in my eyes. Would he accept that? Would he be able to return it? Was I doomed to being completely alone?

A gentle shift of my weight and all I could do was look up at him. More vulnerable then I had ever felt before. What was he going to say? What was he going to do? I wouldn't be afraid of him. It had almost screwed this entire thing up not moments before. But would this break it even more? Would this push him farther away? Had I made everything worse?

ali

There was a look of uncertainty on his face when Rasta nodded her head after he'd spoken the word love. His muzzle brushed against her cheek as he let the weight of the situation settle upon him and sighed quietly, a contentment that he hadn't felt in ages settle over him. His grandmother had always told him that love was slow to take hold of one's heart and soul, that when it happened it would be most unexpected and most cherished. If love was really what he was feeling then he was right and he wished that he could tell her so.

He looked down as Rasta shifted her weight and he found her looking up at him, the look in her eyes speaking volumes of her nervousness and apprehension. He wondered if she had been down this road before or if it was her first trip as was his. The warrior in him rebelled against the thought of love, thinking it a weakness, but it was the love for his sisters that had given him strength time and again to fight for them and to protect them.

Slowly, Alleo allowed his neck to slip over Rasta's so he could pull her against his chest and hold her there. No words needed to be spoken, he felt, because actions spoke volumes more. A smile curled his mouth and his eyes drifted closed as he held Rasta close.

"."

Credits