the Rift

[OPEN] making our mark in the flow of time

Mermaid Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2hh :: 9 Years Buff: NOVICE
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

I have not been so afraid in many, many years. The thought of how quickly that fear overcame me, made me stupid and useless, is somewhat humiliating. I am no young and silly girl. I have seen much in my life, I should be in better control of myself and my reactions. Lucky that I was in the company of good friends when it happened or I might have been abandoned to the mercies of whatever it is that haunts the darkness above ground.

Here I am now, buried alive once more though at least this time I know where to find the exit. I can stand upright and move around normally. In fact aside from the absence of the sun and the vast sky, and of course the ocean, things are more or less normal here. Still, the cool cave air makes my skin crawl, I do not like it… now and then I am taken by fits of shaking when I cannot suppress my most recent terrifying memories. At those times I am certain that the walls will close in around me that the earth will swallow me whole and spit me out in yet another alien world where I do not belong.

But it can’t happen again can it? The Keeper has put me beyond her sphere of influence and I have not angered any gods or goddesses in this place… at least I hope not…

As my thoughts ran wildly over my musings and worries my wayward hooves have carried me beyond the main cavern. A tunnel curves off to the left and I am half way down that path before I realize it. Drat! This is how I always get into trouble… wandering off into unknown corners without meaning to. There are no others around to dampen the echoes of my hooves on the rock floor with their own noises. That steady clicking reminds me of where I am and starts the shaking all over again. Taking a deep breath I force myself to move normally, to take smooth even steps and continue traveling forward all the while looking around for something to distract me from my terror.

A warm light flickers up ahead and I focus on that advancing until I can see the bubbling pool beneath it then all of a sudden my fear is forgotten. The etchings on the walls around me are that magnificent, that captivating… my mind focuses on them and has no room left for the maddening fear.

I turn in a slow circle taking it all in, one strange marking at a time…

“Wow! Now there is a story, I only wish I knew the words…”

I whisper this aloud without meaning to or registering that I have and continue to turn attempting to memorize it all.

OOC: for Mermaid to meet @ELSA but others are welcome if they wish

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
[Image: 52ebd2e176c2b]
[Image: 525f791c057b6]HP: 60/60
"she came from the sea..."
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
Tagging preferences: tag away! | Contact Preferences: PM please!
(Am I being sluggish?  Check my status HERE)
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare
She was on her way back to the room with all the markings, the one where she had met that strange little fat pony. She remembered the sassy little thing and it made her laugh. She almost wondered if she would bump into another crazy mare like that.

Her hooves clicked across the stony surface. It had been quite a while since she left the sanctuary. The opening into the ground brought many a story with it. Horse watching was really interesting, all shapes and sizes were presented before her. Some colors were crazy, others were normal. In other words, it was an activity that was both engaging and time consuming. Nothing was worse than sitting in a stony corner, looking at nothing but grey. Elsa would've gone crazy if that was how her life had to be.

Her body found itself in the room of many a carving. Some of them intricate, others simple and sweet. Elsa wondered what stories the walls held. It would be quite a story to tell if she could read them. Just like herself, she heard another reveling in the mystery. She looked over and saw a grey equine, circling not far away from her. Elsa giggled a little and approached. "Hello. Lost like I am?" She looked around like the mare had, taking in for the first time the magnitude of what surrounded them. "It's too bad we don't have some crazy ability to read it all..." She smiled, and looked at the grey mare, offering a small bow of respect. "My name's Elsa. What brings you here today?"

@[Mermaid]
"Talking"
Elsa
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

I have a good long memory so I focus on each etched image carefully “recording” it for future reference. Perhaps if I remain in these lands long enough these stories might come to mean something to me. Of course I’ve already begun repeating the actions that ended in my expulsion from the last magical, divinely guided realm that I lived in. It is so hard to suppress natural curiosity though, even after nine years of dealing with it.

Sighing I turn away to find a winged female approaching me. She is even pale of coat than I am and there are blue accents visible here and there upon her frame. I do not at first realize that she has both noticed and addressed me; I am too busy staring rather rudely at her wings. Until now I’ve only ever heard stories of Pegasi . Stories that I certainly wanted to believe but never quite did. Now I recall some of her words and attempt a sensible response.

“Lost? Oh, no I know exactly how to get… back…”

Wait a minute, where did that tunnel entrance go?

“Well, I thought I did…”

Confused I begin my slow turning circles again and then I realize that I must have been moving forward at the same. Pointing myself in what should be the right direction I trot several strides away from the mare until I can see the tunnel again.

“Yes, there it is!”

That settled I return to the stranger.

“These things always work themselves out eventually.”

I offer a half grin at this, perfectly willing to laugh at my own ridiculousness. What can I say, I’m old! Well, not that old… not really.

“Sorry, I missed the rest of what you said my dear. I am Mermaid by the way, rather new to these lands. Have you lived here long?”

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
HELOVIA HARD MODE

Elsa first assessment after the mare spoke was that she seemed a bit... eccentric. First she knew, then she didn't, then she knew again. Elsa shook her head and a small laugh bubbled from her throat. The people she met her came from all shapes, sizes and personalities.

She finally returned from her little adventure of trying to find her way out of the cave, and introduced herself as Mermaid. Quite a unique name. She said she was new, which made sense, because no one could quite figure out these readings. Those first in here, seemed to be entranced and drawn in. Although, she had to give some of them credit because some of the drawings revealed interesting stories. It was putting them all into one story that made her head spin as she looked about. "Not old, but not quite new. I suppose i'm a noldie?" She grinned, actually thinking her word she just made up was quite clever. Putting the word new and oldie together... that took a ton of talent! Well, at least in Elsa's mind. "I wish I was able to help more with everything that's going on..." She mused aloud, thinking of the hideous creatures that lurked in the darkness. Elsa dearly wished it ended soon. She had just begun exploring when it seems she had been pulled underground. "Were you able to see any of the above lands before you got here? Or did you arrive in the midst of this crisis?" The hope for people even knowing about the above lands anymore was dwindling. Everyone either never saw it, or was too focused on cave-lurking to think of anything else.

"Talking"
Elsa

Hidden Account
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

Her laughter tells me without a doubt just how bumble-headed I am coming across. This business of being underground has thoroughly muddled my senses. I’m not a stranger to caves but coastal caves and deep underground caves are apparently two completely different animals.

Well, it could be worse at least she is standing around laughing instead of writing me off as an idiot and moving on. The way I see it, as long as a body is still listening to me I’ve a shot at changing any opinions that might have been formed. She doesn’t really seem the judging sort to me though so it might not even be necessary.

The next words that reach my ears assure me beyond a doubt that I’ve got nothing to worry about. Noldie… yes, I like that and show it by joining her laughter in good spirit.

“Well, you are a few steps further along than I am. I haven’t even gotten to the point of understanding everything that is going on let alone considering any help I might or might not be able to give.”

Another glance at the wall brings back my feelings of awe and I begin to count the pictographs again while responding to her question.

“Regretfully no, my guide brought me directly here. I am grateful of course, I’d have been monster meat without her help. There is no way I could have found this place in time on my own...”

My words trail off as the mental counting takes over and a moment or two of unexplained silence passes before I realize that I should probably still be talking.

“So Elsa, have you by chance as grand a way with pictures as you do with words?”

Maybe she can help me make some sense of them...

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
HELOVIA HARD MODE

It saddened Elsa to hear that she didn't really understand what was going on. This was not the first time that she had encountered someone who did not have a clue about what was going on. Sure, maybe ignorance was better, but what were they supposed to do if they encountered a wraith? They wouldn't understand that they needed to get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Not to mention even getting here! Elsa already liked the girl, and she could not imagine what it would be like if she had actually turned into "Monster Meat".

Her attention seemed to turn to the wall of carvings. Elsa smiled, she too loved the mystery behind the walls. Mermaid inquired if she knew anything, and Elsa shrugged. She knew a little, but not enough to satisfy herself. "I know of a few of the markings, I learned from another mare that the world coming out of darkness are the gods. Apparently there are four, of time, sun, earth and moon. The moon being the only goddess." Elsa finished, nodding to the group of pictures that represented it. "Other than that, it is all a mystery, and one it seems that will never be solved." She looked to the more intricate markings of odd horses, unicorns, pegasus' and other such creatures. She wished she could tell a story like this, the only thing she had was the oral history of her home. "But speaking of history, where do you come from Mermaid?" She asked, looking back to the pale mare. Maybe she hailed from Aryndale to, but she doubted it. And Elsa would feel incredibly stupid for not knowing about an inhabitant like her there. She hoped that she did come from elsewhere.

"Talking"
Elsa

Hidden Account
Tzarra

MERMAID
AND WE DANCED LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN, ROMANCED
WE WERE LIARS IN LOVE AND WE DANCED

With my eyes, still glued to the wall, I follow the patterns as she names them. A part of the story unfolds for me and I begin harboring a deep desire to unlock the rest of this mystery. I do feel a sense of foreboding though as she mentions three Gods and a Goddess. My luck with divine beings has not been the best. Were it the three Gods alone I might not worry too much, but with a Goddess in the mix...goodness knows. Hopefully none of these divine beings are related to the Goddess I tangled with most recently. Still, I had better at least try to keep my head down and avoid their notice. Such notice can be painful to say the least.

A shiver runs down my spine at the memory, still fresh, and I turn away from the pictures which now present themselves as evidence of something I did not want to hear.

"That is interesting information. As to mysteries never being solved... I think all mysteries are solvable, you just have to find the right path to follow."

Maybe later, once I've forgotten how terrifying and dangerous Gods are, I will go looking for just such a path myself.

Shifting my weight restlessly I turn my attention back to the pearl coated female who speaks so carelessly of history.

"Originally the Silver Shores, a home to which I will never return. And most recently Avenion a land from which I was divinely expelled. I am not entirely sure but I think both places were on another planet entirely, perhaps even in another universe... I suppose that makes me an Alien?"

I chuckle softly at the thought of being an Alien, really I've no idea what such a thing would even look like. Like me I guess... and since all the others I've met here have had wings or horns that might not be such a far fetched idea.

"And you Elsa? Did you come from a place near here originally? Were you able to find a proper home above ground before retreating to these caves?"

SWEPT AWAY FOR A MOMENT BY CHANCE
HTML BY SARAHROO | IMAGE FROM WEHEARTIT

@[Elsa]
HELOVIA HARD MODE

All mysteries are solveable...

Elsa let a half-hearted laugh escape from that. If all mysteries were solvable, she wished that she could solve herself. All the mysteries that were locked away in her body, seemed to be trapped there forever. All this untapped potential, all these untapped memories. They were things not even a God could call back. She frowned, but moved on with life. Such things she would have to dote on later, if later ever came.

She then talked of home, and being an alien. A smile crossed Elsa's face as she released a hearty chuckle, nodding her head and a faux face of terror crossed her features. "Oh no! What sharp teeth you have! Please don't eat me!" Her voice was high and squealing, mimicking how she had sounded back in the days, when she romped around the fields with Ana. But to her own dismay, the mare asked of her own home. Elsa frowned and shook her head a little, not knowing where to begin.

"I come from a mountainous kingdom in the North. Ruled under a wonderful king and queen, once they had perished, I was outcasted for powers that I possess. I suppose they thought me to be a witch, or a sorceress. Funny, because down here power like mine runs rampant, I it's almost unnatural for me to come across a horse without any power." She shrugged, keeping key information to herself. Like the fact that she had been a princess, and she had accidentally killed a court guard when she was ostracized. And how she left her sister behind to fend for herself. There was no need for a newcomer to Helovia to know her past. It would be revealed eventually, but for now, it would remain in the shadows. She looked left and right, noticing things had calmed down, and the ambient voices had hushed. "I think it's time that I settle down for tonight, but it was a pleasure to meet you Mermaid! Hopefully we can meet under better circumstances when we aren't all forced underground." Another half hearted laugh before she offered a small bow, moving away from the mare. She genuinely liked her, but after the family conversation, she needed to cry by herself for a while. Crying was her only release from the pain.

"Talking"
Elsa

Hidden Account
Tzarra
MERMAID
AND WE DANCED LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN, ROMANCED
WE WERE LIARS IN LOVE AND WE DANCED

Her laughter is less hearty this time. I seem to be damaging her goodnatured enthusiasm with my overbearing optimism. Noting this I decide to make the attempt at curbing that optimism, at least a little, in her presence. It is curious to me though, what shadows lurk behind this young woman’s sunny smile? Another mystery… I add it to my list.

I gloss over my own historical troubles, diminishing the significance of “divine expulsion” with my comments about being an alien. This seems to restore her earlier gleeful mood quickly enough. Faneing a look of intent consideration I stretch my nose out to sniff her.

“No, I do not think you smell quite green enough for me to want a taste. Apparently being alien has not altered my prefered diet any.”

Again her smiles fade, this time in response to my questions about her origins. I do not seem to be reading this girl very well… I truly did not mean to upset her. Listening with sympathy to her wistful memories I realize that the wrongs she has suffered and the separations she has lived through, while no worse than my own really, are new and fresh in her mind yet. I want to tell her that things will get better, that the hurt will fade with time but I do not. While this would be true enough, in order to be completely truthful I would have to add that while it will fade it may not go away entirely. Somehow I doubt that truth will help her much.

“Well, you are looking at one now. I had power once. Nothing terribly strong, but it was there and I have certainly felt the absence since coming to this place.”

She offers no insight to the above ground world of Helovia, perhaps she did not see much more than I before being ushered to these caves. That is a pity, but I do not press her. It seems she no longer wishes to remain in my presence. Ah well, as she says it is getting late.

“I ought to attempt the same I suppose. Pleased to have met you Elsa, I will watch for you under the sun.”

A meeting in the future would be pleasant and now I have some idea what topics I should not mention to her. That said I too turn my back and proceed in the opposite direction.

SWEPT AWAY FOR A MOMENT BY CHANCE
HTML BY SARAHROO | IMAGE FROM WEHEARTIT

@[Elsa] - just in case you want to read my belated ending. Thanks for the thread!
HELOVIA HARD MODE