the Rift

[PRIVATE] sigh no more.

Locket Posts: 74
Up For Adoption atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Teppei :: Giant Panda :: Stormcall Adoptable

He walks at a leisurely pace, frustration and joy colliding within his chest. He was alone, yet at the same moment he wasn't completely alone. He had Lakota, he believed their bond was stronger now... yet he still felt like he was fighting this battle alone, no one else to fight beside him. He had no one to share his thoughts with, no one to converse with in the silence. A deep sigh escapes his pale lips, alabaster lobes flickering back. He thought of gaining his companion, the object of his desires. It had been many a season since he had first gained the quest, and he had met every duo but one.

Tinek and Ophelia.

He had searched for days on end for the familiar mare, but he never found her. He wondered if she had left Helovia, or if she had joined her sister in the ranks of the undead. It made Locket's skin prickle at the thought of the mare and her sister surging forth, their flesh rotting and maws clamping around innocent bodies. He wondered if the Gods were punishing him for some reason, if Father Earth was punishing him for something he isn't aware of. Maybe he was mad because Locket loved Lakota when in truth... he shouldn't? Maybe Father Earth was punishing him because he was taking so long to finish this quest? Locket doesn't know for sure, but whatever it was made him wish to find Ophelia, or a substituting dragon for this matter.

His cloven hooves dance upon the cold stone as he enters an area with a massive waterfall, admiring it as it pours down, a light mist rising from the pool. He leaves behind the room with the healing fountain, instead admiring the breathtakingly beautiful water that casts a veil over his eyes, illusions dancing forth upon the rippling surface. The roar of the waterfall drones out all other sounds, making him prance away from the pool to a corner of the cavern so the sound wasn't as loud, but still fairly thunderous. Locket's leafy gaze drags across the room, searching for Lakota or Aodaun. They were no where to be seen, and so he stands, swaying ever so gently.
"talk talk talk"
[@[Nayati] so close to getting this quest over with ; u ;]

And I took you by the hand
And we stood tall,
And remembered our own land,
What we lived for.
dctim1.flickr

Locket talk :: L = R

Nayati Posts: 116
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: four years
Rathunax :: Common Red Dragon :: Shock Breath cailyn

I know your wavering heart, intimately</style>

Over time, the petite fae has found a routine. Her panic attacks no longer come as frequently, especially after rediscovering Resplendence in the glowing caverns of the history wall. Rathunax was still unsure how to deal with her random attacks, so easily swayed by her emotions, but it only made him increasingly more protective over her. He was her crimson guardian, a scaled defender with sharp fire eyes that dared any unknown equine to step into Nayati's personal space. The tiny mistress found it both endearing and amusingly frustrating, but seeing as she had no friends, it bothered her little that he was chasing everyone away.

Despite the intermittent stone of the underground tunnels, her flowers cheerily bloomed behind her, seeming to appreciate the lack of winter chill that was surely abound on the surface. Those around her at least seemed to appreciate it, giving wispy smiles whenever they'd come across her little trails of color. She brought hope and joy simply by walking, and it both intimidated her and made her feel like maybe she was important. Rathunax huffed at that thought, and Nayati giggled softly, hearing it echo self-consciously throughout the caverns. Rathunax refused to hear her speak badly of herself, but he also knew that she was incredibly sensitive, and knew when not to chide her. Today, he was clinging to the cusp of her curved neck, a shock of red that only drew out the albino crimson of her eyes.

It was horribly dirty, but her tresses never really became stained, mostly because she and Rathunax bonded through cleaning and combing her endless mane and tail every day. Wood and glass clinked softly as she moved, and she hoped desperately that the woodland fairies that had given them to her were safe up above. They had become dear friends to her, and she feared for them. Rathunax growled softly, knowing that Nayati had been there for an emerald dragon egg, jealousy surging inside his little body. Nayati crooned at him softly, glancing around the cavern, only to give a soft gasp as she saw a figure stand. She had been sure she was alone.

Moving forward, she watched as his eyes scanned the cave listlessly, as if searching for something or someone. Closer and closer she wandered, tiny and breakable in comparison to his warrior build, but she lifted her head and stared at him curiously, kindly. "Are you looking for something?" she queried, voice soft and almost dreamlike, a gentle smile turning her lips. Rathunax crawled up to perch between her ears, draconic eyes narrowed at Locket distrustfully, tail flicking irritably. Nayati flicked her ear to thump lightly against him and he gave a soft 'ryuu' sound of regret. Not that it changed his glare towards the panda boy.

"My name is Nayati, and this is Rathunax. He's a little protective, I'm sorry," she laughed softly, warm and bubbly, and a little sheepish. Sometimes she was embarrassed by how fierce her tiny dragon could be, not wanting him harmed. He may think he was indestructible, but the little fae knew he was still just a babe. Of course, that thought always brought about a round of indignation and huffing from her little crimson dracon, but she knew he loved her too much to ignore her for long.

"Perhaps I can help you look?" Lyrics optimistic and kind, she flicks her tail, but it is so long only half of it moves as she wanted. Flowers bloom around her in a meadow of color the longer she stands still, and she smiles up at him, tilting her head slightly to the side, awaiting his answer.

the rose shadows said that they loved the sun, but they also loved the dark, 
where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

She comes in a wave of budding flora, followed by a small, red reptile that makes Locket long for his own companion, and then he thinks of Ophelia and her silver dragon. Where are they now? He wonders, gazing at the speckled girl as she approaches him, ears perking as he watches her lips form words. "Ah, indeed I am searching for someone. The Forsaken and her silver reptile, it is they I search for, for it is part of a quest given to me by Father Earth himself." Locket stands tall, proud against the dull cavern he stands in.

The tiny red lizard perched between her ears glares irritably at him, yet he continues to smile, because the thing is so small, barely out of its shell. "A pleasure it is, Nayati. I am Locket, former Executioner of the Grey." The last words were said in dismay, as though he longed for the older days, back when he commanded an army of skilled mercenaries. It is strange how twisted fate had made his life, how it turned his world upside down, made him long for the older days.

He hears her words again, and shakes his head. "There's no need, I'm sure the mare I'm looking for isn't here with us now. She may be above ground—" He quiets down, pale lips dropping into a frown. He hoped to Gods that wasn't the case, that Ophelia was safe from the darkness. His spine tingles at these thoughts, cursing him to see her with her flesh hanging from her sides, eyes dull and horn broken. Stop. He commands himself, watching the images fade.

To put the images away, he begins to walk the perimeter of the cavern, turning back to her and motioning for her to join him. "Walk with me, Nayati." He invites her, smiling at the speckled girl. Assuming she was beside him now, or close to him, he asks her something. "Tell me, where did you get Rathunax?" He finds it a mere gesture of interest, a friendly question that could spark an interesting story.

"talk talk talk"

And we stood tall,
What we lived for.
dctim1.flickr

Outcast

Words spoken from her own tongue catch his attention, and he turns to her. She smiles with her eyes more than her lips, ruby red eyes glittering with happiness at the simplest of company. Nayati is a lonely soul, seeking friendship and affection that not often comes. If it does, it is quick to leave, and usually in the worst of ways. But it does not stop her from longing, sometimes. His voice is soft, mellow, and kind. It makes her feel calmer, despite having no need to feel anxious in the first place. She disguises her anxieties well, at least. "The Forsaken? Could you possibly mean Ophelia and Tinek?" she replies smoothly, eyes widening in curiosity, wondering if she's correct. There is only one Forsake that she knows of, at least. And Ophelia had always been far kinder to her than Ktulu. Her attention is drawn back to Locket as he stands taller, and though he is surely not that tall of a stallion, he towers over her petite frame regardless.

"The pleasure is mine, sir Locket," she laughs softly, and in a distant memory she recalls how Svetlana and Romani used to talk, how it rubbed off on her as she grew older in their presence. Their temporary presence. But she tries not to linger upon that thought, because she's in the presence of another, and Locket doesn't deserve her darker thoughts and memories. Down in these tunnels, everyone has some dark thought of their own.

His concern for Ophelia is sweet, but Nayati knows the Forsaken well, and she shakes her head quietly. "The Lord of Time watches over her. He would not let her befall any harm. And Ophelia is strong. Tinek, as well. A bonded would sooner die than let their beloved be harmed. Together, they will be fine." Rathunax gave a soft, intense 'ryuu' from the crown of her head as if in agreement. Wordless he may be, but Nayati could tell from the force of his emotions that he would always feel the same. No matter his age, he would give his life to spare hers. Ironically enough, however, she felt similarly. It was a strange, loving, and selfless connection she would never give up.

Whether he understands or not, or even hears what she has to say, she follows as he offers a walk. Rathunax huffs and scuttles down her neck to rest in the hollow of her shoulders as she moves to walk alongside the warrior. Humming softly at his question, she thought back to every trial she'd gone through to bond her soul to his. "The Gods set forth trials, of sorts, through the whims and aids of many animals and sources. I attended many of these offerings and hatching. I aided many of the ones who would come to bond with the dragons in need of protection. At last, I came to find an orb upon a lily pad atop a lake. In the end, between myself and another young mare, I was the one chosen to bond with Rathunax. It is truly not so daring or heroic a story as you may think, and therefore not so entertaining," she laughed softly and shrugged delicately, careful not to disrupt the young dracon resting there.

where their roots grew through the lightless mystery of the earth. the roses said: you do not have to choose. 

With those eyes she takes his heart, caresses it, soothes the worry that piles within her. He offers a smile, something sweet, something delicate that dances across his features. He listens to her mellowed words, soft and calming. He nods his head, his skull bobbing through the air, curved dagger swinging about. "It is indeed Ophelia and Tinek I seek, but I have not found them. Do you know where they may be?" He offers the same kindness that fell from her lips, matching it equally, if not just a little more. He has learned to be kind to those who offer it as well, and to be stern with those who offer rude and ignorant remarks.

She calls him a sir, something he hasn't been called in quite a while. A smile is brought to his lips as he stares down at her, watching as flowers bloom and bud around her hooves, watching as they reach out towards him, his cloven hooves dancing about in the flora. Something within her darkens for just a moment, something that makes Locket wonder what could be wrong, what type of thoughts run wildly within her mind. It is not until she speaks again that he is reassured that she is fine— for the time being that is.

He nods his head again, knowing that the God of Time did indeed watch over the Forsaken, and that Father Earth watched over Ktulu. Inside there was only a twinge of envy that the sisters were able to be blessed by Gods in a way he was not, and the same befalls Nayati, for she has both magic and a companion gifted to her from the Gods. His leafy eyes flicker to the red reptile for just another moment before he offers words to Nayati. "I suppose you're right." He inhales, eyes once again falling to the little crimson hatchling. "I suppose you would know this— with a companion of your own." A sudden longing for his own partner hits him in the breast, the pain spreading through his body like poison, tainting his blood as he imagines the creature he desires so.

He smiles at her story, finding it enchanting although she says it is naught. "It is indeed enchanting. It shows you are a true heroine, trying to save innocent creatures. You are a very lucky mare, I think you should know. You have a dragon to follow you with every step, and a path of flora so you never lose your way." Locket's smile widens, eyes flickering as the budding flowers follow behind her, following them closely as they stride about the cavern.

"Do you have anyone close to you?" It was a question that surfaced out of no where, his mind falling to the hooves of Lakota, delicate, sweet, gentle. He hasn't seen her in a while, a new bud of worry beginning to bubble within his rusty frame as he realizes he must tend to this issue soon. Ever since he saw Ktulu go down, he fears for Lakota. Sure, she is strong and can take care of herself, but he cannot rest easy without knowing she is safe.

"talk talk talk"

And we stood tall,
What we lived for.
dctim1.flickr

Outcast

Something special resides in the tiny fae that stands before the kindly warrior. It is seen in the way he relaxes, the way he trusts her despite having just met her, the comfort he finds in her words and the look in her eyes. Nayati has always been a calming presence, and though she can fight should the need ever arise, her strongest qualities were the ones that lay within her ability to soothe. Odd, considering she was the one who suffered from panic attacks and fears far darker than were fair for her age, but it was something she enjoyed. Healing people through words...now that was a gift. Perhaps not as vital or desired as the physical healing of wounds, but she would take what she could. "I fear not. Last I saw of our Forsaken, she was leaving Helovia. She is safe, by my knowledge, from the plague that is upon the peninsula. Whether she returned or not I am unaware." None of it is a lie, but it is said in such a softness of tone that it is clearly meant to comfort and soothe the worries of the distressed brute before her. Though he is good at concealing it, Nayati reads faces as well as her own. He is worried for his queen.

There is a moment of silence in which Locket smiles at her preference of words and titles by which she calls him, eyes flickering belatedly up to Rathunax once more. The crimson child gives a soft 'ryuu' of dislike, though it is hard for any to make a positive impression upon him regardless. He does not like the envy in the stare of the warrior, even if it is not a dracon he seeks for company. He is indignant, for he knows the trials Nayati faced in order to obtain him, and is enraged that this fellow yearns for something with such simplicity of mind. Nayati hushes him, for she does not judge another for their loneliness, and however they go about it is none of her business. Just because she had suffered through trial after trial to rid herself of that particular plague did not mean all others had to.

The longing is evident in Locket's eyes, and Nayati gives a soft hum of contemplation. "It is a difficult, but rewarding type of bond. He is me, and I him. We are one and the same. When I cry, he feels sorrow, and when he hungers, I desire to find food. We clash, for we are still independent spirits of our own, and it hurts. To fight, when heart and mind are connected, is the same as inflicting a wound upon your own skin for a prolonged length of time." Rathunax gave a soft 'ryuu' of sadness, as if apologizing for all the times in the past where they had fought, few though they were in his youth. He still regretted them, even if he made the same mistakes time and again. The fire in him was strong, and it burned his princess often enough for him to wish he could change. Nayati eyed Locket carefully, as if sizing him up for a future challenge he wasn't aware of. "As rewarding as it is, do not think it is without pain and sacrifice. Some think it is worth it. Others, unfortunately, do not. The look in your eyes is familiar to me, sir Locket. For your sake, I pray you find the path I did beneath your hooves."

She lets the conversation fall to his mind, to be mulled over and potentially remarked upon, as she strides beside him silent and comfortable. Flowers bloom up around her, baubles clicking enchantingly in her mane and tail, catching light and casting it in odd patterns across the walls and the ground. He depicts her as a heroine, finding her tale remarkable in a way she had not. For her, there was only loneliness and defeat, a desire to give up but a will to continue on that battled it time and again. "I am not so lucky as you may think, sir Locket. Just because I am bonded and have magic does not make me blessed. Perhaps it is your envy that speaks for you?" It is said mildly, not meant to offend, but to catch attention and draw it to what he is saying. "I awoke from an attack of panic and pain, which I suffer from quite frequently, unable to scream or breathe but wanting to. It was the night after I discovered my adopted mother of the Foothills- perhaps you recall her name, Svetlana- was killed by the Dauntless. It was then my flowers came to me. I ask myself often. Was the acquisition of my magic, meant to be comforting, worth the loss I felt and still feel from her death?" Her rubies focus upon his form, hoping he at least has the presence of mind to think over what she is offering him. Magic is no savior. Companions are no sign of luxury and goodwill. He is childish, in a pathetically sad but endearing way, to think magic can change your lot in life. It had not changed Nayati's after all.

Crown turns back to face forward as they walk, soft words spilling forth, trying to make him understand. "Maybe I am good, in some way, for wanting the innocents to go to a loving bonded. But lucky? No. Romani, a warrior of the Foothills, the only other mother I knew, swore to forget me in order to receive her companion. She was without memory for seasons, and it was the worst pain I have ever experienced. I have suffered much because of magic. But it has also given me much in return. I am not lucky. I am merely repaid in magic what I have lost in heart and life. Sometimes I question if it is truly an equivalent exchange. But I would forego everything, my flowers, my magic. Never Rathunax. He is all I have, now. I am still but a foal, and with no friends, no family, no home or title to be remembered by. If I were to die today, you may recall me for a few moons, and then I would be naught but a memory remembered by none." Despite the topic she speaks on, her tone is complacent and calm, for she has accepted her lot in life.

Having been without company for so long, she is truly rambling, and she flicks an ear and gazes back up at Locket for a moment. "My apologies, sir Locket, for I am rambling on. I merely hear so much of greedy mortals vying for magic, thinking it is the end-all, that it can fix everything in their lives. They do not realize that it is a falsehood, a trickery. I shall speak no more on the topic, and you have my apologies if I have somehow offended you." There, that was sure to fix things...right? Nayati was either very fluid and good with others, or a terrible wreck due to lack of association and company. It seemed today she would be flipping from one end to the other at lightning speed. His words stopped her pace for a moment, stumbling over her hooves. Sadness crumpled her face like a wilting flower, and she cast her face away from him, trying to conceal it.

"Close to me...I did. Long ago, it feels. His name was Bale. He was my only friend, and what I felt for him I see now was love. He desired to leave Helovia, and I let him go. Love is selfless, sir Locket. His happiness may have lay away from here, and I may have traveled with him, but I did not. I am not so easy to love, I'm afraid. I let him go, so that he may have the chance to find love elsewhere. Sometimes...friendship and closeness to one you love in an unrequited manner is better than confessing and eradicating all normality." Her eyes clenched shut, an emotional pain reflected in the mirror of her face, and she retreated into the painful silence of her memories.

----

That was probably the best post I've ever made and I'm so proud I could cry