the Rift

[OPEN] Paying respects

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven
There was no cycle of time below the earth. Only the shimmer of lava lanterns and glowing mushrooms seeped light through the tunnels and correlating rooms; no sunlight danced with the white wash of the moon; night and day had become one. The stone trail which led upwards towards The Sanctuary from the depths had become a major thoroughfare; the damp smoothness of the passageway had been soiled by the relentless traipse of those coming and going; wandering with hopeless direction, around and around- never wanting to risk their lives to those undead monsters who hungered above. The herd’s mighty structure had been lost, and so too had the division of purpose between those neighbouring the Throat. All bodies now lived together, huddled like cowering lambs as darkness filled their territories, sweeping ferociously to devour all that once was familiar. The caves were crammed with an engorged population who had been required to set all differences aside for the sake of their survival.

A light breeze wafted down through The Sanctuary’s gaping mouth. It was sour; acidic, though the crispness of snowfall was ripe upon its delicate breath. Africa inhaled deeply, curiously, filling her lungs with the strangeness of that air. With no resolution to the Darkness in sight, she was saddened to think it would be the second Frostfall spent away from the desert; so far from the luxuries of home and the comfort of family. She couldn’t help but wonder too, if that was some subliminal pain stirring in her midst; amassing with the blanket of burden which rested so wearingly upon her frail shoulders. Sighing pensively, she continued forward, soft footfalls making little sound to betray her climb. The one-winged mare had not visited The Wall of History for what she could only presume to be months (really, only two or so weeks had passed since her encounter with the white shouldered stallion), and she felt increasingly the nag of guilt pulling her to pay respects to her Lord.

Although the warmth which had flickered so fondly in her heart had mostly dissolved into a cool blackened void (ranks once held had also been lost when each herd fled to this underground world), Africa felt obliged all the same to worship he who had had been so merciful and generous to those bedding in his land. She could not forget the parting warning he had given- that which had forced this wretched change; though for the better it had been of course, and while still the dissatisfaction which had leaked through his expression still soiled the damaged creature’s confidence, Africa knew easily where her loyalties did lie. She entered the first room of their refuge with baited breath and a clenched jaw, hoping desperately that few would lurk there. More than anything, she prayed that Windwalker was not nearby; toying with his new found arrogance and flaunting himself crudely upon some unsuspecting woman- far, far away.

Discreetly, and with the hood of her flimsy silk cloak’s hood draped secretively about her slim pale face, the dappled creature slipped her body snugly against the cool hardness of the wall and around towards where the entrance to her Wall waited. As she passed warily by, pale beige-tinted eyes noted few others around- a change, given that normally countless corpses gathered in vain hope just short of their former lives; where the Heart of Helovia beckoned them from the pit of safety. The soft murmur of relief rattled flaccid nostrils, and she hastened (though not beyond a calculated walk), into the chamber whose walls seemed instantly roused to life; their glowing etchings and crude portrayals of a time long ago, welcoming their regular visitor warmly. The faint trace of a smile curled the corners of her wrinkled, whiskered mouth, and Africa reached to touch one picture- a stallion with two horns, and wings which seemed engulfed by radiant fire.

"Father; forgive me for not coming again sooner."

Africa

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer

"Who are you talking to?"

A quiet voice cut through the stillness and shattered whatever illusion of solitude the mare had been clinging to. It was little more than a murmur, drowsy and rough as though the owner had just woken up from a deep sleep - which he also had, albeit not a very pleasant one. He had been dreaming, vivid sceneries filled with horrific detail, part memory, part vision and stirred with all the imagination a young child could muster. Truth be told, Kari was relieved to see that the creature that had woken him up with the sound of hooves against rock was an actual person - and then she could wear whatever she liked.

He stirred where he lay in the corner of the room, the slender frame unfurling as spindly legs undid the elegant knot they once tied themselves into and raised him up on his feet; unsteadily at first but gradually growing more balanced as sleep was blinked away from the eyes.

Kari yawned and stretched, leg after leg, wing after wing before finally, with a lazy flick of the long tail he came padding across the floor to join Africa by the wall. His vivid blue gaze moved from the cloaked mare, taking in her dappled gray coat and the missing wing, over to the wall where figures moved in intricate patterns across the rocky surface; he could tell that a story was unfolding, but with no name for any of the painted persons its content was lost on the boy.

"Did you make these?" he asked, in the usual manner of inquisitive foals; never asking just one question at a time, as their curiosity didn't leave neither room nor time for the elders to actually answer.

Code generated by Tintedglass Layout Generator

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Deceased
The expression which had already begun its descent through a meditative glaze, stiffened suddenly. Closing eyes reopened, startled, and they face beneath their pale yellowy glare turned to find the owner of the young bleary voice which had penetrated the moment. A colt stood nearby, watching her, and a chill prickled the length of Africa’s curved spin. Although there seemed no escape from the sea of bodies and sweltering company in this stone prison, the maturing mare had thought herself to be rather alone; seizing the rare moment of privacy to meet with her Lord. "I was… prayi…." As long lean white stockinged legs guided the bulk of her graceful frame around, the dappled mare’s head titled pensively, and he gaze centred with concern on the small puddle of limbs unwinding off the hard tile of the cave’s unforgiving floor.

She held her tongue while he stretched, still quite taken aback that one so young would be left by himself, that she had woken him (quite obviously), and because mild embarrassment had flushed red beneath the pallid shroud of her facial hair. The length of time it took the boy to stretch the weariness from gangly appendages and sweet juvenile wings, seemed unfortunately exaggerated by her well masked astonishment- she watched him constantly. Finally he began towards her, sparing apparently no glace around them to find the mother who really should have been close by. Even as he paused beside her, there in front of the wall, Africa’s narrowing eyes could not peel from him. "No," she answered quietly in earnest, and began at once to scan his lithe, miniature form sign of illness or abandonment.

"Where is your mother?" Concern laced heavily the breath surrounding her question, but Africa sought not to tend him like the impulsiveness in her heart wished; just in case that mare should find her child bound by the embrace of a stranger. He looked slim, small and weak- but the inexperienced creature had not come across many his age; she could not tell well whether his appearance was just as it should have been.

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

The mare interrupted herself before finishing the sentence, leaving only enough syllables that the word was understandable. Kari gave her a curious look, not knowing what it was that made her pause - that he would be the cause of her apparent confusion he would never have guessed, and so the wondering eyes only lingered on the dappled lady for a moment before more interesting things drew his attention. Reaching closer to the wall the colt pressed his nose against the uneven surface, nose tingling by the sensation of cool rock against the soft skin as he studied the detailed figures. Uninvited a stream of visions flowed into his mind through the opened connection of physical contact, jumbled and so intense that the boy pulled back with a small gasp. Images of clashing armies, death and blood and the shaping of the world as he knew it by a small group of blindingly brilliant figures danced before his inner vision...

"Up there.. Outside" he answered her question distractedly, finding her question only half as interesting as this new piece of history. "She fought off a monster and told me to run. Now I'm trying to figure out how to save her."

Reluctantly Kari abandoned the decorated rock-face to look at the one-winged mare instead, the expression on his face much too serious and aware for such a young foal. "You're... Africa, aren't you" he said. "You lived in the desert too, you were made into Or... oracle" he spelled out and tripped over the unfamiliar word, gaze growing distant as he reached through his memories to pull the visions of Africa and his mother together. "You found a cave, and moved to a new nest and brought things with you in a leaf - there was a shell and a pink star and pieces of something..."

As he spoke the long tufted tail began to whip back and forth in growing excitement. When the colt was forced to pause for breath the expression turned into a bright smile, blue eyes glittering with hope and pleading as he stared up at her.

"You can help me! You're almost family, mom said so - 'everyone in the Dragon's Throat is a friend, kin and connected' he recited, trying to mimic the tone of the oftentimes grumpy Sleuth.

"A stupid wingless lady stopped me when I tried to go back outside to help mom, so now I don't know where she is and she didn't know the way down here and I need to help her because I miss her and I'm starting to get very hungry and maybe if she comes back the nightmares will stop and..." He was forced to pause the torrent of words as he sucked in a huge gulp of air, all the while staring at Africa with intense desire in the eyes. Surely she would let him search for the black mare - they were friends, weren't they?

@[Africa]

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
The child’s small muzzle met the carvings which riddled the historical wall, and Africa couldn’t help the small smile which leaked through her uneasy expression. She too had brushed wiry whiskers against the stories depicted; etched curiously into the sheer stone, wondering tirelessly about their meaning and fancying the brave foursome there whose legends had been maintained perfectly in this mysterious underground realm. She could never have known the reality which flashed through the foal’s attuned mind, and snuffled, quietly musing to herself about the translation one so young and innocent might make.

When he spoke of the mare’s absence; a mother wandering the plagued world above without the foal to be nurtured, the one winged mare’s eyes clouded with distress. She thought instantly of both wraiths she had encountered recently (though really, it would have been many months before); their rotted-corpse forms, the hack of phlem-choked lungs, the strange dim fog which shadowed them. The boy drew his ocean blue gaze from the wall and they met immediately the tentative stare of the dappled mare’s beige eyes. She was taken aback by the depth of those pools, the glowing awareness and bright understanding- all of which had taken her so many years to conquer. A somewhat reserved smile remained, she felt as though her company were more a wise elder than the slim gangly colt who still craved his mother’s milk.

"Yes, I’m Africa; though I fear my use as an Oracle has been lost now." She answered him softly, not thinking right away to question his perception- and whatever else he knew... "Your mother told you all of that?" The young grey asked, fidgeting with surprise (if not a little flattered as well). She had scarcely spoken with the black Sleuth- they had found little in common apart from those trinkets stashed on their being, and certainly Africa could not have imagined Shadow thinking so fondly of her, that she might tell a son such garble. "... they were pieces of a shell, an egg shell. And there was a Twix’s acorn also." For a moment she thought of all those items. It was the second winter she had been forced to spend away from her homeland- and she wondered who was pillaging her nest this time round. A subtle sigh jerked upwards through her throat.

Even though she had stolen the space through his pause to fill in those blanks, the foal continued on again with ever expanding excitement- so much so that Africa was forced a step backwards to avoid falling into the trap of rash decision making and foolish plans- that, she had done before and the much wiser creature was not so keen to build on that foundation of terror and nightmares.

Hesitantly she hummed and nodded, agreeing that indeed they were family; bound by the laws of the Throat. "That is true..." she couldn’t deny, she had heard similar many times over during old herd life. Weakly she offered him a smile as he continued... the flood of words unbelievably, unnervingly, determined.

"I won’t leave you to search alone... what is your name?" Her soft pallid complexion tilted tenderly and eyes swam about his eager young expression with much less excitement perhaps than he had wished from her. "I really can’t let you just starve..." she added also musingly, a blurred mumble that probably wasn’t loud enough to be heard. There was a brisk flutter of wings by the arced doorway to the Wall of History, and through it fluttered the star-speckled Roc who had been suddenly drawn to his beloved’s rising heart rate. A confused croak slipped by the gentle clack of his beak as Silas came to rest cautiously upon the curved rump of his mate. Keen violet eyes studied the small horse; he who was not simply Pegasus, but Unicorn perhaps as well, wondering how one so insignificant to peer upon could stir the heart of a grown mare like he had.

"We need protection." Africa said at last, her attention failing to swing to the silent probe of her companion’s mind, "One other should come I think, because I alone am about as might as a windblown leaf." It wasn’t a funny comment, nor was she particularly proud of the admission- though he was a child still, what would he understand. "Where in Helovia was your mother lost?" A groan rumbled the chest of the Zephyr then, and he stiffened when finally the pattern of the mare’s thoughts began to filter through more coherently. ‘Danger!’ He cried desperately to she alone, who could quite easily be just as vulnerable as the babe she wished to aide.

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

Had Shadow really told the boy all of those things? No, not voluntarily at least. A hauntingly smug expression crept across the features of the boy as he thought about the horror in the shadowmare's eyes when she realized the extent of her son's abilities. His mother weren't overly fond of magic to begin with - her childhood had been completely void of supernatural things, so that when she first arrived in Helovia her encounters with the divine gifts had left her shocked, scared and very very certain that she'd grown insane. For her child to possess such a haunting ability as to absorb the past of the ground and the trees and water itself as well as that of his own mother terrified the pegasus. It had left her reluctant to touch him more than she absolutely had to - not knowing, of course, that he had already learned all there was to know about her from his time in the womb.

A similar reaction from Africa would be... inconvenient. So rather than answering her question the colt just smiled and watched as she struggled with his request, gradually working herself towards a decision with half-finished sentences and hesitant looks. The smile grew brighter when she declared that she would go with him, and with cheerfully whipping tail the boy skipped a bit on the spot in triumphant victory - finally! He would be allowed to go look for his mother!

"I'm Kari, son of Carnesîr and Shadow, of Dragon's Throat" he presented himself in the roundabout, formal manner he had been taught to use when 'the time for concealment and trickery has passed and honesty becomes valuable again', as Shadow had said. "We got separated not far from where I fell down in the cave, close to the glowing hole in the ground." Blue eyes stared intently at the dappled lady, hoping to see some form of recognition flash over her face - did she know where he meant? Would she know where to go? Kari wasn't sure he would be able to find the exact place on his own - maybe if the visions cooperated and showed him the right things, but that wasn't something to count on. At best they were erratic and vague, coming through strongly only when his emotions were strung high and it was hard to think and keep focus.

Then a sudden thought struck him, about something Africa had said, and it made his enthusiasm droop visibly. "I... I don't know anyone else to ask for help" he admitted and let the head drop, feeling disappointment well up inside, dangerously close to push through as beading teardrops just behind the eyelids. He held them back though, not wanting to seem weak. "I can ask around though, can't I? And.. and if I find someone else, then we can go?"

In the midst of all the worry and attempted bravery, a bird came flying through the murky air like a sliver of starry night sky. Kari sucked in a gasp of breath and watched as it came in to land on the rump of the strangely clad pegasus, breath-taken and thoroughly impressed by it as it turned to look disdainfully at him.

"What a pretty bird" he breathed, feeling very self conscious about himself under the emotionless stare - he had to lean down and scratch the stumps of horn that had begun to break forth from the poll, broken and easily chafed; Kari was sure that they made him look ugly. After all, he'd never seen any other pegasus with horns, so they had to be strange.

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
Kari reacted with such excitement to her reluctant decision to help; his tiny figure bouncing in place discreetly, enthusiastically, elated. Africa could only imagine the fear engulfing his helpless being, and the tender-hearted, quite gullible mare swayed to the tune of her emotions accordingly- it was her nature; and the colt had easily distracted the morbidity of her callous introspection. Who was she to deny a suckling from the care he deserved? ‘Find someone else to take him.’ The mare’s pale complexion shook literally the Zephyr’s warning voice from her thoughts. Already Kari had been denied, and she knew not how long one so small could survive without food.

A small amount of time was let to pass as Africa considered the situation methodically, and the foal’s attention had been shifted in the meantime to the avian perched behind her. While the murky grey child spoke offhandedly about her companion’s undeniable loveliness, a silent conversation began in secret, held close between the confines of their linked minds.

"He is only a child… an infant."

‘…They hunt. They stalk…’

"Shadow is not far from the Sanctuary, Silas."

The bird-like creature cawed shrill frustration and the sound of it resonated wildly, caught between the sheer stone walls of the cavern; it echoed around and around for a long while. For his entire life, Silas had been her guardian; a voice of reasoning more valuable even than the brittle conscience that squirmed inside her. His pale purple eyes flashed across the miniature face of the boy, filled with grim premonition; the futile future of any foolish enough to stray beyond the grisly confines- he didn’t want that for the foal any more than for the mare he loved so fiercely. Star-spangled feathers bristled across his lithe frame, expanding his size; emphasising his desperation that they stay.

"If you can find another- a Spear who has pledged their service to the resist... someone brave enough… we will set off." She smiled lightly without acknowledging the Roc’s treadling talons as they prickled her fleshy rump. Instead she was focused squarely upon the downtrodden nature of the boy’s expression- it had fallen so rapidly, and Africa felt the pangs of guilt pinch her heart. “Kari, we will find Shadow- family do not desert each other.” It wasn’t a lie exactly; the gesture as loose and unconvinced as it was, was quite heartfelt, and her softly fluttering nose was reached towards him thoughtfully.

The one-winged mare had not energy enough to help the colt find the Spear who would help them; defend them, if that was even possible against the threat of looming undead. She had not slept well for much of the time spent below the earth, though not because of the unnaturalness of their rock prison home. Of late, her emotions were in tatters, and confusion was ripe through her core. If nothing else, the distraction of this boy’s plight- when he found at last their guard, was a welcome distraction from all the conflict in her life.

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

The cry of the bird was so sharp and so sudden in the fresh silence that the colt jumped on the spot. Downy feathers ruffled in surprise and sudden suspicion as all thoughts he might have nourished about reaching out to touch the midnight-colored avian disappeared. Instead the boy took a few steps back, hesitantly eying the Roc - was it something he had done that caused the reaction? Kari didn't know much about companions and the bond they had with their horses. No one had cared to explain to him, and Shadow hadn't had interest in it. Actually, the black sleuth had been very sparse with words overall when it didn't concern things she found interesting, like her job and the herd and survival techniques. Even when talking about those his mother had been rough and gruff and to the point... It would surely come back to bite him one day, but for now the colt found his musings interrupted as Africa spoke again, finished mulling over whatever she had been thinking about.

"What's a Spear?" the boy asked, knitting the brows in questioning, "and what is the res.. resist... How do I know that it's the right spear?" Despite the suddenly daunting task he had before him, it felt better knowing that there was something he could do. The expression of the child brightened gradually, maturing into a somewhat pleased smile as the dappled mare reassured him. Mother had been right, he thought to himself as he looked up at the older pegasus. Herds were good to have, and if everyone in the Throat were like Africa he might stay there when he grew up too. Maybe he'd become like Shadow and listen in to the hidden conversations of others so that he would know about things before others did... and then tell the herd, so that they would be strong and smart and safe. Or maybe...

"Aunt Africa, what is an or..oracle?" he asked, finding his thoughts drifting away from the original topic now that he had been promised help. Instead his attention was turning back to the wall, eyes focusing once more on the pictures that covered it - a quick prod with the soft nose didn't produce anything but gravel in the nostrils this time however, which was both disappointing and slightly reassuring.

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
“Gaucho, a Sultan of Dragon’s Throat heads a group of horses; Pegasus of course, but Unicorn and Equine also, to try to rise against the sickness taking over Helovia.” Africa found herself eyeing the colt narrowly, carefully. She felt honestly as though she were speaking with the boy’s mother; another of their herd, really any adult at all instead of one so immature. It was a curious feeling, and not one that made her particularly comfortable. “That is the resistance. They are called W.A.R- but I am not really sure what that stands for.” Africa had promised Silas that they would offer themselves to the cause against; the Zephyr was a keen protector, a stalwart sentinel- quite contrary to everything the mare stood for. Already they had twice made a trip to the Threshold in the name of W.A.R to rescue and return with those wandering souls who entered Helovia oblivious to the danger lurking. She would have preferred nowadays days to hang with those cowards unwilling to risk their own lives; their safety- but not Silas.

The Oracle suddenly felt the weight of responsibility, something which was welcome enough; but she was uncomfortable knowing she held not all the answers he wished for. Her weight shifted, and pale eyes wandered for a moment’s respite towards the gaping entrance to the Wall; beyond a stew of bodies gathering perhaps to ward off another wraith whose path had strayed to close. Indeed her friend was right that danger would lick their heels greedily when finally they emerged above ground.

She sighed distantly.

“Any who offer you their protection is the right Spear for the job.” She answered without looking back to him and her voice was vague; unable to escape the bind of musings and worries as they clouded the clarity of her thoughts. “Whoever you can find…” She shrugged conclusively, blinking, turning a kindly smile at last towards him.

His expression had relaxed a little and dark blue eyes were again bright- hopeful she assumed. The lines of trepidation had eased somewhat from Africa’s taut physique also, the colt’s endearing company quite apart from any of the ridiculousness shared by an adult world. Should she have held any trace of maternal instinct, the humble grey might even have taken the child beneath her own wing, nurtured him; raised him. She knew nothing of motherhood though, especially those intricate details which would secure him a quality meal, rich and creamy- such ideas were yet even to enter her head. Kari spoke again soon enough, engaging her awareness immediately with a term quite foreign- certainly she had no siblings alive to act as Aunt for. “An Oracle?”

Lips that had shed their nervous quiver lowered nearer to the elevation of his small face. She did not touch him though, despite his age; the innocence that should still naturally encase him. So many who she had offered such selfless warmth and compassion towards had been less than benevolent in return- they had been swayed by emotion, that which she had never meant to provoke. “I act on behalf of the God of the Sun, the almighty, and relay insight given by him to our herd.” Fondness glazed her eyes as she spoke of her Lord, her father- though impress him apparently she could not. “I represent our herd also, though he is all seeing, and all knowing. He is the patron of our home you know Kari.” Her heart sank unexpectedly for the gravity of their predicament. “I was praying just before, though neither sign nor signal has been given by him for a very long time.”

As his own pointed maw reached to touch the wall, Africa extended her own velvet, grey muzzle to press upon it. She could only hope the God’s had not forsaken them; grown tired of mortal unrest and disobedience.

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

The boy tilted his head as he listened, attentive enough to please any teacher as she answered his questions. Every now and then he kept rubbing at the bumps beneath the soft fuzzy forelock, feeling the itch of taught skin more for every time he scratched. It was annoying, but a strangely grounding feeling - so many things had happened and there were so many things left to do that his young mind was sent spinning uncomfortably. The very basic and primal act of scratching his head felt delightfully simple in comparison. It was something he had control of (or well...) and a problem that could be handled on his own, without demanding an overwhelming effort too big for such a young foal.

"Do you know where I can find Gaucho?" he asked when given a chance - it sounded simple enough to go and get a third horse to accompany them on the journey to the surface, but in these vast and winding tunnels it was easier said than done to find anyone at all. Let alone a stranger who's name he had only heard in passing and whom he had never seen in person before.

No, it really was much more interesting to talk about other things. If the boy had been intently listening before, he leaned closer to devouring Africa's stories when she began talking about a god. A GOD! Now this was an area where the foal really had nothing to add, and so he inched closer and wrapped the tail tightly around a leg in carefully retained excitement, ears pricked as he greedily clung to the oracles visage.

"You talked to a god?" he half-whispered, voice filled with awe. "What is he like? Are there more than one of them? Are they very scary?" He tore his eyes off her frame only to give the bird a nervous glance, not quite sure what it would think about him standing closer to the mare. The beaked creature made him unsure, it was too hard to gauge the intentions behind that unmoving face - Kari didn't know how to interpret the body-language either, and so he found it much safer to just keep a secure distance from the Roc.

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
She noticed soon enough that the skin stretched between each of the foal’s murky blue eyes seemed irritated; he rubbed frequently, vigorously, against the friction of an outstretched knee- it was not a normal behaviour, and the dappled mare’s interest grew quietly. Pale eyes watched coolly as he regarded her explanation regarding the underground army; focus committed beyond his years, and gently her light-grey complexion nodded when his small, childish voice pierced the lull surrounding once more. “No, I’m sorry.” Africa admitted remorsefully, switching her gaze quickly when she realised how tedious the task she had delegated would quite probably be. She knew well how crowded, Gaucho’s time in particular, had become since the darkness had begun; and also that he spent more time scouting the surface than he did mulling with the likes of herself and Kari.

It would be easier just to pluck a stagnant figure from the shadows…

“Have you seen Gaucho before?” Curiously she looked down at the small colt, leaving a slim moment of silence to answer before she began a fairly comprehensive description- it had been her duty to learn about her kin; their family, and Africa had thoroughly noted all she could. “He is taller than most, bay-brown with black legs and also black accents on his face. A great rack of antlers… she paused suddenly, and thought hard, …a headdress that looks like naked tree branches sits high upon his forehead- a serpent, Mara is coiled through them. A dream catcher of sorts is also caught between the prongs. He is blessed with two large wings- naturally, and a single bone passes through the skin between his nostrils.” Confident that such a portrayal would suffice she nodded- only to add, “But I fear he would be the hardest to find of all.”

Kari’s interest in the tale she told about the God of the Sun and her relationship with the deity took her fancy right away; an innocent form of flattery that she was rarely treated to. A smile almost as eager as the foal’s own swept through her expression and she found herself nodding with unravelling composure as his whispered is amazement. Smoothly and kindly she answered. “I did, yes. The sun God is beautiful,” she offered firstly- because that was certainly the most striking thing about him. “He is merciful and wise, and it was the gift of his insight that saved us from the…”

Africa paused suddenly, concern flushing the vigour from her face- “Well he is the reason we are here, you see.” Lightly she chuckled, coyly even, not wanting to panic Kari and drive him back into that feverish desperation to find Shadow. “There are three Gods; of the Sun, the Earth and the Spark- and one Goddess, of the Moon. I have only seen our Lord, and he of the Earth. Neither is scary…” the latter was a partial lie, though her fear of the God of the Sun stemmed primarily from her grave desire to please and impress him.

Carefully and secretly she hoped that the foal would be easily distracted from her near blunder.

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

She had a point; Kari didn't know what the Sultan and W.A.R general looked like. So he shook his head and listened carefully to the description Africa gave him, carefully storing the information away in his memory. A crowded place to be, for sure, considering all the visions he'd had from the time his body had slipped out onto the cold desert sand... Perhaps he was lucky that his memory worked like any other persons, capable of forgetting and pushing knowledge into the subconscious. It probably saved him from going insane.
Nevertheless there were a lot of things to remember, so Shadow had helped him come up with a way to store the things he wanted to know and pick them out quickly. He called it his Meadow of Memory; a vast field full of trees and rocks and creeks he had built in the mind, and whenever he wanted to remember something he created a detail and added it to the meadow. Now, as the cloaked oracle described the stallion he should be looking for the colt painted him up accordingly, placing a shadow with the design of this Gaucho at a bend in the creek, gazing into the water. The picture was blurry still, flat and lifeless - but once Kari had seen the brute in person that image would come to life, vivid and clear and moving slightly with life on its own.

He would always remember this stallion, and why he was looking for him, and how he had come to know of his existence. There were more ways than one of retaining memories, and Kari found this particular one to be quite fun indeed.

There didn't seem to be anything more to add, so Kari happily let the subject drop and immersed himself in the story about the gods, relaxing into the smile and lull of Africa's warm voice. He tried to imagine them as she told him who they were, head tilting and wings drooping in concentration, but what would a god even look like? It went beyond his imagination, they must be vast and powerful and incredibly impressive! He actually didn't believe the mare when she said they weren't scary, not so much because he picked up on her white lie but rather because a god surely had to be frightening... anyone that powerful must make horses cower before them, speaking with thundering voices and make the earth tremble as they walked.

And yet... If they were so powerful, why hadn't they saved his mom? "Did we do something to make them angry?" Kari asked. "Are they the ones who made the monsters come out? I wonder if they could help my.. Shadow, if I asked really nicely." He gave the oracle a questioning glance to see what she thought of that idea, not betraying with so much as a flinch why he had hurried to change the epithet of his guardian.

I see your true colors
Larry Wilbourn @ Flikr.com

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
While her tenderly worried gaze roved the expression of the delicate child, she wondered in secret about his lineage- or rather, how ultimately unlike Shadow he truly seemed. She was quite fascinated. Drawing from the slim chord of memories stored surrounding the raven-black Sleuth, Africa could find very little in the colt’s appearance (at least), which resembled his mother. A thoughtful smile had been left to stray through her idle pondering, and when his voice suddenly rose through the onslaught of silence post-explanation, the young mare jumped a little- the searching nature of his words taking her quite by surprise.

She could not deny that the same thoughts had passed through her mind also- this was not like the Endless Night which had choked Helovia of sunlight; of courage and hope. Many had witnessed the God’s passing between worlds on that occasion, and tales of those cosmic, otherworldly battles still occasionally surfaced to feed the hungry minds of children, and pupils questing for knowledge. During that darkness many seasons now past, the trembling population had been left to fend for themselves- but this time, signs had been gifted; assuring those mortal minds so easily swayed by doubt, that they had not been forsaken. Africa remembered then quickly that Megaera had announced a message from the God of the Earth. He had blessed the waters which gurgled indolently right behind where she stood now with Kari, and told them of its healing quality. Spontaneously, caught up in silent musing, the dappled mare swivelled in place to glance at that fountain- then upwards towards the flickering ceiling-fire (she had always insisted that her own Lord would descend through the flames like he had through the Fire of the Diviner at some point), and then back once more to rest atop the inscriptions marking the wall.

"I cannot say, Kari." She offered sympathetically. "But I can only imagine how wearing a mortal population such as our own would be on their patience." Helovians had been given a paradise to expand and thrive within, and even Africa was not so foolish to think that their benevolent Gods were not abused and neglected by the majority. She tried tirelessly to impress her love upon them- upon he of Sun and Light in particular; but it was hard for a weary heart to shoulder the ignorant love of an entire herd, and worship accordingly. There were many unbelievers walking the sands of time, and perhaps it was they who had brought this wrath upon them all.

Kari’s innocence was endearing; she was drawn a step closer towards him as the need to embrace and comfort his obviously confused soul began to boil. Instead of reaching with warm, dry lips though, her gentle voice slipped to stroke about his little downy ears. "I think, for this occasion, it might be faster if we searched without divine intervention…" Africa knew not even if her ability to speak with the patron of their former home still existed- a great void had opened in her heart recently, where once the warmth of that connection had been.

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

He followed her gaze to the ceiling and back down, puzzled as he couldn't follow the trail of thought that brought on such a look. Yet her answer, as unsatisfying as it was, remained clear enough and the colt nodded quietly that he understood. Suddenly tired from the emotional turmoil that the conversation had triggered, he folded the legs beneath him and sunk to the floor by the hooves of the former oracle, content enough in her presence with all it brought of security and comfort to relax. The mind was still too clear to allow more sleep however, so instead he just peered around the room, taking in the details of what he could see, from the clucking fountain in the center of the floor to the depictions scrawled on the walls.

It made him think of the visions he'd gotten the first time he touched the paintings. Something about those largest, most impressive horses had been familiar. Like a memory of a memory, something he had seen and forgotten and then remembered again, but only in fractions and pieces, blurred as though a layer of ice stood between himself and the real thing. The more he tried to remember the details of those figures the more blurred they became, until the strain of trying made an aching pulse start to tap at the back of his head. Sighing softly Kari left the subject for later, instead returning to the subject at hand - it still captured his attention, like any good story would.

"How do you make gods happy?" he asked absently as the thoughts wandered. "If we make them sad, then there must be a way to make them cheer up again too." He raised the soft nose into the air and looked at Africa where she towered over him, having to raise the head so high to spot her face that he fell backwards towards her legs, set for a fall should she step away from him.

I see your true colors

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
The dim room, in which she stood with Shadow’s unusual son, told little of the turmoil outside. Across the world beyond their clammy, unlikely refuge, Frostfall had descended its bitter blanketing breath- frigidness still worse than any Africa had been witness to; rivers had been turned to ice, forests stripped of life and the oceans flanking the coast chewed mercilessly to erode sand and soil, exposing rugged rock cliffs that would inevitably start to crumble and wash away. Unbeknownst to the dappled Pegasus, the desert; the region so loved and pandered to, had also succumbed to the ferocity of the season and the life blood therein had been turned to ice. Even if the herd had been brazen enough to hold their ground against the darkness, potentially, they could have suffered nature’s very own fury instead. The days were shorter, and the sun’s luminosity had weakened terribly- the world she cherished had been transformed, and through it was draped that untameable sickness.

Her yellow eyes flicked quickly towards Kari as his long, scrawny legs folded beneath him; he shrank suddenly, and a soft snort rattled the velveteen flaccidness of her narrow pink-snipped nose. The gentle flames engulfing the mottled thick tangle of mane along her crest danced lethargically as her neck curled, pallid complexion dipping so that the twitch of her lips could fondle the nearest part of him tenderly. She knew not of his ability to draw memories and experiences from the mind and so remained oblivious as she openly sought to caress him. In the meantime, silence grew steadily around them and other sounds before unnoticed- the low drone of voices in the neighbouring chamber, the placid drip, drip of a slightly leaking wall, the gentle gurgle of the fountain behind, all suddenly seemed to close snugly and tightly about them. It was relaxing, and Africa felt the lines of concern ease from her taut dappled canvas.

Soon enough the blue eyed colt asked another question, and at once Africa felt a light-hearted chortle froth across her tongue- so curious was this child; his need for knowledge seemed so vast and she wondered with a silly smile if his brain had even the capacity to store so much. She could see as her eyes waded quietly around his small collapsed body, that it seemed not to be a particularly strained question; Kari barely stirred in place, and his gaze seemed from her set back perspective, looked fixed- somewhere ahead. "There are lots of ways to make the Gods happy," she cooed softly from above, lifting her mouth first from his warm hide. "While we stilled lived in the desert, I tended the Sun God’s fire, feeding it offerings that I thought might please him- wonderfully coloured feathers, the last seasonal flowers to bloom, the smoothest sea-stones washed ashore… Gifts are a fine way to show your appreciation."

His face lifted and Kari appeared to overbalance comically, as he strained to find her face looming overhead- she didn’t move for him to topple backwards, instead reached with one white stockinged leg to brace him.

[Note: Permission given should Kari happen to
-find- her memories, whenever, whatever ;)]

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

(ooc: sorry for the late reply!)

He hummed in response, distracted by the tickle of her warm nose against his skin and the subsequent fall backwards. Grateful for the support of a sooty leg the colt managed to right himself, though kept leaning back towards her in a clingy fashion, reluctant to forgo this rare treat of affection and closeness.

"Was it the Sun god that set you on fire?" he asked curiously, eying the flames that languidly licked her crest and croup as best he could from the awkward angle. "I had fire in my mane once too, and on my feet - it was scary first but after a while I got used to it. Then it disappeared. Now it only comes when I get scared and need to go somewhere really fast. It pops up all around me and then I'm where I needed to be."

It was a decidedly more interesting form of magic than the one he had. Still unwilling to let Africa know if his curious skills, he was quite glad that his mood was far too placid and calm to carry any visions of her past to him. He didn't wish to eavesdrop on her, nor peek on something she might not want him to see; better save it for people he didn't like, so he could tease them about embarrassing things if they were mean or became too full of themselves. Kari wished he had a more visible ability to show off, something that could actually do something. Knowing what happened at a riverbank the past summer or understanding the creation and destruction of trees, mountains, rocks and rivers weren't nearly as exciting.

At least not to him, for whom this knowledge was as self-explanatory as the knowledge of where to find milk was to a newborn.

@[Africa]

I see your true colors

Helovia Hard Mode

Deceased
She was untroubled by the lingering of his small warm weight against the lowest length of her leg, and stepped forward readily with the other to secure her own balance. The closeness of Kari; that sliver of innocent intimacy between them, was quite heartening. Something not dissimilar to adrenaline began to course through her young, inexperienced body; the strum of roused maternal instincts maybe, which she neither understood nor reacted quickly to. A new sort of affection was simmering through her pallid expression, as kindly eyes roved about downed frame, quietly inspecting him like Shadow might have- but with less understanding of infancy and its frailty. She thought him rather beautiful, like a sapling oak amongst all of those pungent old straggly pines up north in the Threshold.

Lean black-tipped ears wandered forward to meet a new flurry of words; another question, and Africa felt more adult than ever- wiser and more knowledgeable than perhaps she was. He was indeed asking all of the right questions. "Yes." She nodded responsively, through the small break of his juvenile voice, but the tenderness of her bright gaze narrowed quickly between thick dark lashes as he began to explain the nature of his own fire. At first she thought he was referring to the gift imparted during Orangemoon by her Lord, and the memory of his generosity forced a giddiness to lift her façade. It weakened though as the little colt continued, and her neck lifted away the hang of her fine, chiselled skull so that she could consider more thoroughly- eyes locating subconsciously the flickering lamp-fire in the centre of the ceiling.

"Interesting…" she mumbled. The grey had not been so frightened to trigger the same ability, granted like the last, by the shimmering patron of Dragon’s Throat. Her mind, soul and body alike had not found reason to call upon that magic, and so she remained altogether oblivious- and fascinated with that marvel described by her young companion. "Sort of like teleportation?" she mused thoughtfully and vaguely, forgetting again that his manner was well beyond the years of experience notched into his slim girth.

Her focus snapped back, the vacant glaze of starry-eyes dissolved, and she craned her face left to peer down at him with that pale gold eye. "Well certainly any magic given by the God of the Sun is quite spectacular and something to be cherished. Be sure to thank him when you pray dear Kari, won’t you." She smiled warmly, and her face dropped nearer to him again; fondly, she drew a deep breath there and her lungs drowned in the subtle mustiness of his young cave-bound fragrance.

Filled with some peace in the moment, Africa’s thoughts drifted back home to the dancing firelight which she missed dearly. Her eyes closed tightly around the transforming illusion of a vast night sky above, speckled with tiny winking white stars; and the soft warmth of red-gold desert sand beneath. "When we go home, I will take you to the Diviner’s fire if you like..." In the distance she thought she could even hear the steady rumble of the wild ocean, foaming waves spilling tirelessly across a drenched beach strewn with smooth seabed stones, the brittle relics of starfish and other strange creatures- and lacing the air was the invigorating stench of salt. "…and the ocean, how I miss the ocean."

Africa

Outcast
Wanderer

"Tele- telpo.. What is that?" the boy asked, quite predictably as he tried to get his tongue around the long word. It was gratifying to be treated as an adult for once, it made him feel proud and wise in a chest-puffing and wing-shifting kind of way. But at times the conversation began to stray above his head, touching upon areas and concepts that even he in all his premature wisdom had never come across.

"Mother.. Shadow never taught me how to pray" he carefully added after a moment, once again carefully changing his phrasing as if trying to put distance between himself and the shadow mare by rejecting the bond they shared. There was a question unspoken hidden beneath the confession as well, half buried in undue shame and embarrassment over his own ignorance.

Such thoughts were fleeting in a young mind however. The heavy weight in the gut and the taste of lead on the tongue soon washed away, soothed by the steady warmth of sturdy legs and a friendly voice. Kari smiled a bit as he relaxed, leaning into her touch with closing eyes and contently coiling tail. He tried to picture the places she spoke of, eager to find them within the treasure trove of images that was his mind; but even if he did catch glimpses of a black pegasus dancing along the shoreline of a huge expanse of water or witnessed how horse after horse came slipping out of an oppressive darkness to gather around a bonfire so tall and bright that it made his eyes burn... there was no way for the child to connect her words with them.

"I would like that" he murmured drowsily, the tiny head nodding closer and closer to the ground as relaxation slowly dragged him closer to slumber.

I see your true colors

Helovia Hard Mode