the Rift

[OPEN] Nightmares [Open]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The painted girl stood among the moss and fluorescence, beside the small river that flowed through this strange, spongy room in the caverns. She had gotten so little sleep the past few days, after having been saved by Kaj, that she was getting to be exhausted. It was not that she didn't want to sleep- she did, she desperately did, but sleep was hard to come by. In every shadow, there was a monster waiting to jump out at her. At every moment, she was a threat to everyone's safety. Kaj had tried to tell her that there was no chance she would turn back, that drinking from the waters was the end all cure to what a monstrosity she had been, but she was having a hard time believing it. Could it really be so simple?

With a sigh, the girl decided to close her eyes, to try and find some rest if she could. So slowly, her lids went down, her neck sunk slightly, her tail relaxed. And eventually, with a few deep breaths, she found sleep. But sleep did not mean peace, and her rest was not exactly restful. The nightmares started as they so often did, with images of Antheia walking backwards off the cliff, her body body laying on the shore line as water crashed over it, wave after wave. And after that, a new round of nightmares. The fire lizard that had crawled from the depths, Ricochet attacking her, the endless night, the invasion by the unicorns of the north.

But the dreams went beyond their usual course, including images far more sinister. Her brother Fuhrer, burning in eternal flames. Her mother and father standing proudly within their cathedral as the fire began to eat up the mosses all around it. And then the reminder of the monster that she had met down here. Kahlua was floating by herself in a sea of nothingness, destined to be by herself, live by herself forever, and then die by herself. But worst of all was when the nightmare morphed to something new- Kahlua was standing with Resplendence, here within the cavern, when Kahlua began to morph. Her scorpion tail returned, her mouth pincers grew back and her eyes lost their pupil. Her ribs returned to the outside of her body... And then, Kahlua lunged.

Kahlua awoke with a scream that echoed around the cavern, bouncing off too many walls and coming back to her ears. Had sleep really been worth it?

OOC| Open to any

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Mermaid Posts: 47
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2hh :: 9 Years Buff: NOVICE
Tzarra
LIKE A WAVE ON THE OCEAN

I have walked into a dream…

And for once it is not a nightmare…

This cavern is larger than any I have yet been in, larger even than the main room. The crystal maze I just escaped was certainly something but this… this is, well, something else. The soft ground cushions and I find it to be an amazing relief after all the stone I’ve been walking on. It is pleasant to know that I will not have to return to the Pit just to find soft ground. There is a strange, otherworldly, blue-ish green-ish luminescence about the place that makes me question it’s reality but what my hooves feel seems solid enough and so I move forward.

I come face to face with trees, trees like I have never seen before. They are slender and delicate with bushy, glowing leaves clustered at the top. How they manage to grow down here away from the sun I cannot imagine, but I would very much like to find out. My stomach rumbles reminding me that while I’ve found water aplenty I have not eaten at all in the few days I’ve been underground. Looking at the ground I consider the moss and grasses beneath the trees trying to determine if it is real or a mirage, and if real is it edible? The horned and winged beings scattered about the cavern room seem to perfectly happy in consuming it and none of them appear to be keeling over in pain. Of course it could be poisonous only to my kind put here as a way to rid this world of unwanted lesser beings.

No, that is a mean thought brought on by hunger delirium… I will take the risk and eat.

Advancing to stand under a tree-thing I lower my head and begin to crop the mossy grass, slowly at first and with evident greed. Almost anything would taste good to me right now but this really, really does.

Munch, munch, crunch… yum, yum, yum…

I am no longer paying any attention to my surroundings, only to what is under my nose. Then all of a sudden I am forced to pay attention.

Forced by a blood-curdling scream of pain and fear…

For a moment I am tempted to ignore it and just go on stuffing my face but the kindness and curiosity making up most of my being will not allow this course of action. After all it could be a child in danger whom I might aid, there could be an unknown cave predator that will move on to me once it has finished with the screamer, maybe one of those monsters that are supposed to have taken over above ground has snuck into our safe haven. It could be any number of things and just standing by waiting for whatever it is to run its course seems more dangerous than investigating.

That decided I move in the direction of the sound towards the darker back of the cavern. I swallow my last bite of greenery as I stick my head through a bush-thing and gaze questioningly into a shadowy corner. The being within is not a child, it is an adult and it is alone yet I am quite certain that this was the source of the scream. Puzzled I gaze across the short distance to her face, she doesn’t appear injured, under attack, or in danger or any kind. Nor does she herself appear to be dangerous. Then I notice that she seems a bit groggy as if she’d just awoken and suddenly I understand the reason for the scream… or I think I do.

“It is good to know that I am not the only one troubled by ghosts on the dream trails sister, though it appears that yours might be younger and fresher than mine.”

My eyes have adjusted slightly to the shadows of her hidden corner and I notice what I’d overlooked before, this girl is neither horned nor winged. She is a simple equine like me, though more interestingly patterned. At this realization I thrust my muzzle closer offering a friendly exchange of breath and an excited greeting that abandons any facade of worldly wisdom.

“Oh, you are my kind! You’ve no idea how happy that makes me! I keep finding horned and winged creatures everywhere, not that I mind but I was beginning to think I might be the only horse in these caves…”

WE COULD DIE OF DEVOTION
HTML BY SARAHROO
[Image: 52ebd2e176c2b]
[Image: 525f791c057b6]HP: 60/60
"she came from the sea..."
Global permission granted to do anything at any time with/to Mermaid so long as it is survivable!
Tagging preferences: tag away! | Contact Preferences: PM please!
(Am I being sluggish?  Check my status HERE)
HELOVIA HARD MODE
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Mauja Frosthjärta
A cry woke him with a start.

White limbs twitched and snapped close to his barrel, his weight already halfway off the ground before he properly woke up. His heart was pounding and his head was swimming; he nearly pitched nosefirst back down onto the moss, but somehow caught himself and forced his shoulder to lean against the fortunately robust tree next to him.

His pulse was pounding painfully in his skull. What a damned way to wake up.

Mauja gulped down the strange air. He still wasn't quite used to the strange blend of moist freshness and the natural stagnancy of caves, but it was soothing on his healing skin. Blearily he blinked, and looked about himself in the odd light. He could never decide if it was half-light or half-dark. It reminded him of twilight and stars at the same time, but if he looked closely, it was clearer.. small, bright dots of light. Gingerly, he tipped his head from side to side to try and clear it. Any larger movement set the pounding pain off, and he tried to avoid it best as he could. Glanced up instead. Irma was peering through the leaves, but couldn't see the source of the scream even from her vantage point. Neither of them could smell blood, so whatever it was.. maybe someone had just been startled?

A small white mare passed in front of him, quietly picking her path through the damp moss, but quite intent on where she was going. She was the most interesting thing to watch at the moment, and his pulse was still too rapid to let him go back to sleep. Besides, he was covered in a fever sweat again, and to go wash it off in the creek or waterfall was tempting. Irma and the egg were safe in their tree anyway. But to start walking would send his head pounding again.. but maybe it'd be worth it... Besides, he could stop and eat somewhere else on the way back, and leave his own poor patch be. Groaning inwardly, Mauja hauled himself away from the tree, and gingerly began to pick his way towards the waterfall, incidentally following in the general direction of the dainty white mare. For lack of a better thing to do, he watched her with dull interest, until she stuck her head through a bush. At that, Mauja stopped in his tracks, and peered curiously at her. That was.. a strange thing to do. And as if that wasn't enough, she started talking, quite excitedly, and Mauja, baffled, moved forward, and skirted around the bush. Even stepped into the river-shallows to see who she was talking to.

And saw Kahlua.

The white mare had moved closer and blabbered on about not having horns, but Mauja just stood and stared dumbly at the black and white tobiano. Was she the one who had screamed? The white one seemed to think so. But they didn't know one another, obviously, and he was sick and tired and hung back. If it wasn't because he'd stepped into plain sight he probably would've slipped away to find the waterfall, guiltily glad to know she was safe, and then returned to his corner to recuperate and ponder the strange turn his life had taken, and whoever else might have survived the shadow. He'd not been strong enough to go looking, and with the close quarters, knew that it was just a matter of time before anyone from the Basin ran across him. And then, gods knew what would happen.

"Kahlua," he said gently, wearily; he was not the epitome of majesty and grace anymore, but worn and sick with fever from exhaustion and his partly-healed wounds. Still, a small smile found its way onto his dark lips, his throbbing head thankful for the excuse to stand still for a while.
A million miles from home, I'm frozen to the bones, I am... a soldier on my own, I don't know the way.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
When she first awoke, the girl was lost, breathing heavy, surrounded by glowing blues and greens, trees and brush falling from the ceiling and growing from the floor, the sounds of the others in the cavern eerie and muted. She saw none of it, mind still whirling from where she had been, lunging at Resplendence, mouth open, ready to bite her, to maul her, to make her bleed and fall to the floor, crying and begging for mercy. Kahlua shuddered. She wasn't a monster on the outside, but it seemed that inside she still had some healing to do.

Still, the girl breathed heavily, unable to fully calm herself, unable to convince herself that she was not going to turn back at any moment. She had drank from the waters, had her fill, stayed in that room of the caves for several days in case she needed more, but she did not trust them. No matter what Kaj said, no matter how Resplendence tried to tell her... She didn't believe that she was safe to be around. No, somewhere deep inside she knew that she was still a monster. And, perhaps... perhaps she deserved this suffering for what she had done, attacking her friends, family and strangers alike.

Kahlua was hungry, starving even, body growing thin from lack of food. And she was exhausted, eyelids heavy and hard to hold open, but even with all the greenery around her, she couldn't bring up the nerve to eat, to force herself to swallow down what was before her. All she did was stare, and try to calm her breathing, and try to stay awake. She couldn't go back to sleep. Not when there were so many nightmares waiting to grab her, take her, pull her under. She needed to stay awake. And besides.... she had a companion.

As a head poked through the bushes before her, Kahlua started backwards and eyed the face with fear- but not fear of the mare, fear of what she could do to that mare. But inside, she did not feel the urge to lunge that she had felt when she was a monster, she did not feel glee at the idea of mauling the girl, and so Kahlua relaxed, with a heavy sigh, and tried to smile, though it was difficult. And, unsurprisingly, as Kahlua always wore her feelings on her face, the new mare seemed to know exactly what was wrong.

Kahlua extended her nose forward, returning the greeting, and was just beginning to blabber something about how the unicorns and pegasi weren't actually bad, when Mauja spoke her name. Kahlua. And because she was weak, the girl moved towards him, relief washing over her, her heart aflutter with so many important things to tell him but none that really seemed important right now. “Oh Mauja,” she said as she tried to reach out, to touch her nose to her shoulder, though he didn't seem the regal beast that she had cowered before just a short time ago. Really, all she wanted to do was fall against him, to soak up what strength she knew was in his mind and soul, but she restrained herself, if only by the slimmest degree of self control. “Gods Mauja, I was a monster... Lena saved me,” she bleated out, sighing softly before turning back to Mermaid, whose original comment she had likely confirmed.

“I'm Kahlua,” she provided, then found her smile again. “I'm happy to meet you. I like this room, it's rather pretty,” and she rambled on pleasantly enough. But honestly, selfish as she was, and having found a friend she knew and trusted, she wanted alone time with Mauja. But she would have it in time, she was sure. It seemed like there would be so much more time here in the caverns. “Any news from... from above?”

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post