the Rift

[OPEN] Somewhere under the Rainbow

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer
There were so many things in these winding caverns to keep a child occupied. From laughing waterfalls and glittering rooms to the mysterious underground forest and all its edible wonders, the overview over the belly of the Heart from the first cave and the deep darkness of the pit... If it hadn't been for his missing mother and a profound longing to feel a decent gust of wind in the feathers, Kari would have thrived down here. As it were, the conversation he'd had with Africa had managed to reassure him that someone would indeed be trying to find the black pegasus mare - leaving him enough peace of mind to go exploring.

Getting lost hadn't been a goal when he first entered the interesting looking corridor, but by the time Kari realized that finding his way back through the winding openings he was enjoying himself way too much to be worried. It wasn't scary here, not like the black cave where he couldn't see his own feet; there was plenty of light emanating from the pretty crystals and the winged colt felt like a king as he roamed the labyrinth, playing that he was roaming the halls of his enormous castle.

Eventually a narrow opening caught his attention, barely visible behind a tall pillar of translucent material. Intrigued he tripped over and slipped in through the crack - it was wide enough for most to cram through, just hard to spot with all the confusing shadows thrown around - and emerged in a large cavern filled with dazzling lights. Amazed and with jaw half open, Kari strolled into the center of the room and looked around, taking in the high ceiling that disappeared from sight high above his head, the soft glow of the crystal walls and smiled as he noticed several ledges climb upwards against the ceiling towards the back of the room. They looked like good perches to take off from, and the room would probably be big enough to fly in if he was careful...

A mischievous smirk tugged at his lips as the hybrid bounded off towards the terraces, tail whipping enthusiastically as he began to climb.

@[Mauja]

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
With his strength slowly but surely returning, Mauja found himself ambling further and further from the strange, soft glowing room, his natural curiosity leading him along. That, and the hunt for whatever critters might live down here. The better he became, the less reason Irma gave him for not feeding her. And besides, she was right—she was better at warming the egg than he was. His hair might insulate it and prevent the heat from dissipating as quickly, but in the long run, he just wasn't as apt at incubating eggs. It was nothing short of a miracle it had survived its parents abandonment, and the long haul back to safety. So maybe, just maybe, whatever was in there was worthy of Irma's love. It wasn't that he was jealous, he just wasn't sure what the point was. The only thing they had was that ancient spirit's words, and for some reason Irma had put stock in them now of all times. Why change that which is not flawed, or broken? But she'd made up her mind, owned the decision which could've caused so much friction if he'd acted without her, and while Mauja thought it'd serve them right to hatch a reptile or something, she was adamant it was an owl. What kind, she had no idea.

The soft ground underhoof gradually changed to the rocky corridors of the sanctuary, the echo of his steps ringing through the tunnels. There was no way to sneak here, and he wasn't interested in sneaking anyway. .. well, maybe he was, because he did, after all, want to be left alone, but skulking about the least stealth-friendly place seemed a surer way to attract attention. So Mauja ambled along at his leisurely pace, the dull thud of his fever headache flaring at the forefront of his skull with each rhythmic shift of his body. Whoever invented illness should be dragged from their grave and murdered all over again. He hated the lethargy, the dumbness twining itself around his brain, and the weird thought patterns he took on. He hated it almost as much as the feeling of his lacerations straining against their scabs, itching and aching. It was nearly enough to drive him to roll on the floor just to soothe his nerves, but after all his painstaking hours spent rinsing the wounds, he knew that getting these small pebbles and the dirt off everyone's feet into them wouldn't be worth it.

The darkness of the corridor opened up into a prismatic cathedral, light washing through glass-like structures, shimmering and glowing softly with vibrant colors—a small touch of the upperworld, reminiscent of sunlight. After days of the murky darkness of his moist, blue-glowing abode the white light was harsh on his eyes. He squinted, white lashes filtering the relative glare, and ambled on. Most of the panels reminded him of those by the heart itself, though paler, less furnace-like; most went it pastel shades, some simply filled with light, some reflecting like sunlight on the cold snow's crust... Breathing softly Mauja strolled along, the wondrous display banishing his awareness of the headache, of his raw throat, even the itchiness of his healing wounds. Sometimes his muzzle trailed along the cold panels, either by mistake or intent; he wasn't always sure when a wall ended or began, not with the light biting his eyes and playing tricks on his mind with its dazzling display.

And so, when he was trailing his nose along one wall a space abruptly showed itself, he halted, curious. He could see it, now that he was close to it. He gauged its width. Was he slim enough to squeeze through?

I'll feed you to the owl if you get stuck.
But she was more amused than anything. Huffing to himself, glad for the abundance of affection she was showing lately (it seemed that his near-death experience and their brief separation had loosened something up in her, or maybe she just hadn't recovered enough to control herself?) he shoved his nose into the space. Ample enough room for his head, and.. he stopped. The last echo of his step died away, but the sound of hoof hitting the strange crystal floor lingered, echoing around the vast room in front of his eyes—it was hard to tell the rhythm when the sound never ceased. Curiosity tugged at his feet, though he snapped halfheartedly at the wall as it caught a scab on his flank and tore it open. A slow trickle of red blood filled it, threatened to spill over, but he paid it no heed as he emerged into something far vaster than any cavern he'd ever been in before. The ceiling stretched into the wash of white, heavenly light, dust motes danced in the air, and the walls glowed with their strange display of color. And something was in there with him.

Not on the floor. One sweep of his gaze revealed nothing standing upon the ground, and so, naturally, his eyes began to climb. Ledges, both shadowed and lit, lined the vast rotunda, and there, as light and spry as a gazelle was a young child, slowly ascending to heaven.

Mauja couldn't decide if it was the epitome of stupidity, or something beautiful.
stone cold, man or machine, the end of our dreams.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Outcast
Wanderer
He was too focused on finding his footing to pay any heed to what was going on at ground level. With daredevil tenacity the lithe foal dragged himself from ledge to pillar to another ledge, higher and higher until he felt his stomach tickle from a mixture of terror and delight as he throw a look downwards. If he fell from here... But there was no way he would fall. How many times had he been standing over even greater depths, balancing on the edge of a cliff with nothing but clouds and treetops to break his fall should he fail, all while a determined shadow approached from behind to push him over the edge... Shadow had been hard when it came to flight. It was almost as if she enjoyed the terror her frail son expressed over being bullied to take the first leap (and the second, and third, and fifth), a small revenge against an innocent for having come to existence against her will.

Yet, despite his fear of falling, the sensation he got when the wind began to carry and the outstretched wings cut through air like a knife through silk was indescribable. Kari craved it, missed it every time he was unable to feel it and sought out every chance to keep practicing. One day he would be able to take off without a rock to jump from, one day the sky would be his to claim... One day.

But for now, the simple prospect of gliding down from the top of this terraced wall was enough to take away the worst of the itch. He panted slightly as he reached the very topmost ledge, a small crack that was just barely wide enough to let him stand on it. Cloven hooves scraped over the glassy surface as Kari carefully turned around, light-headed and daunted as he looked out over the tall room... and spotted a figure near the opening. This was unexpected, he had thought himself alone. It didn't seem like a person he'd ever met before either (which might be a good thing because they would most likely have tried to stop him from this endeavor) and it made the colt a bit nervous to think that someone beside his mom would see him fly.

Masking his hesitance with childish cockiness the slender fawn puffed out his chest and spread the wings wide, eying the pale, muscular form of the horse below for a reaction as he called out to them - him?

"Hey mister, watch this!" With a deep breath he gathered himself and kicked off from the ledge and pulled the legs up tight towards the barrel, wings outstretched and adjusting tentatively to try and catch the wind. His belly gave a horrible lurch as the first few feet turned into a straight drop, but just as he thought that things had gone wrong somehow... the speed dropped and he felt himself being carried forward, gliding down towards the ground in a (slightly wobbly and not very) graceful arch.

Tripping slightly as he stretched the feet out to land, Kari wobbled and skid and broke into a halt in front of the stranger, with heaving chest and legs sprawled wide around him. The tail puffed up in horror at the prospect of falling on his nose in front of this person... he looked up carefully, sneaking glances at the rippling muscles, the sleek ivory coat and sparse coating of black spots - and began to grin, carefully at first but with growing triumph as he realized that he'd done it.

"Ha!" he exclaimed and leaped into the air and laughed, loud and cheerful before he made a victory lap around the cave room laced with bucks and frolicking.

"Did you see that? I bet you couldn't have done that, could you!? " He skidded into a halt before the grown stallion and puffed up the chest as he looked for a reaction, expression bright and brimming with new confidence.
"I'm Kari, who are you? Wanna see me do it again?!"

Helovia Hard Mode

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren

The sanctuary is much too crowded for me. Painfully so. Honest to god, I've got enough going on inside me, I don't need anyone else to come up with anything funky. With effort I moseyed from the cavernous space, my sickly glowing egg carefully balanced between my teeth. I wasn't sure I trusted it, and yet, something told me that just by finding it, it was now my responsibility. As if I could really be trusted with anything's life! Hmph! As if I could be trusted to take care of my OWN life. The chuckle that escapes my lips nearly causes me to drop the precious egg. I frown. This egg is much too fragile. I hope that it will hatch soon. But if it does, I'm probably going to have to do a better job keeping it warm and making sure I don't frikkin' drop it. I focus a little harder on making sure that the grip of my jaws is firm, but not too strong. I look up, focusing now more on what my hooves are stepping on. Looking back and forth in the darkness, I see an illuminated area ahead of me. It's just a crack, but in the darkness it stands out. Pistons carry me forward in an awkward shuffle and I peer my crown around, looking inside. There's noise, a young voice full of joy. But something sort of large is blocking a proper view.

I huff to myself. This will not do. Without another moment's hesitation, I move into the small space that is the entrance into the lit cave room. I get in, and with no reverence for personal space, push past the form blocking my way. He is large - certainly bigger than I am - and almost completely white except for the black spots that dot his body. He is a unicorn like myself, but my horns are much more impressive, if I do say so myself. And I say so. "'arr'n 'eh." I try to pardon myself as I wiggle past him. Whether my words are actually intelligible.. well.. that's not my problem. I made the effort. I move a few feet away, giving the beast his space. I don't want him to get all huffy at me.

Now I see what the noise is about. There is a small foal, half a year at most but I'm guessing younger, frolicking about the lit cavern. His dark winged body doesn't seem to feel the oppression of the caves, and youthful energy emanates from him. I could almost skii -- no, I don't skip anymore. Suddenly I want to take a swig from my jug, but I'm stuck with the egg in my mouth. A look of perplexity comes onto my face as I try to decide how to handle the situation. I get distracted, however, by the boy's energy as he jumps in front of the beast next to me. I stare blankly. Do what again? Who are these males I've encountered? I look up at my surroundings now. The cave is brightly lit by crystals, somehow shimmering in the darkness. There are ledges all around the circular room. The boy must have been playing on them, doing something stupid and risky and dangerous. If I were more sure of my balance perhaps I'd muster the energy for it...... Naaaah.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.
Ascended Helovian

Up, and up, and up the spry child went, carried towards the distant ceiling by the lightness of his young body—and the foolish courage of his mind and heart. Somewhere along his ascent Mauja saw the telltale shadow of wings, and some of the display started to make sense. The scrape of hoof rang lightly around the room, sometimes faded nearly into silence before striking again, and then, suddenly, the shape paused far up above. Mauja's head was tilted back, blue eyes staring up into the depths of light and shifting color, the dull ache of both body and mind buried beneath his curiosity. It seemed logical that what he would do now was take off, soar down to the floor, because what creature that young wanted to murder itself? And Mauja, he knew nothing of wings, if a foal that young was able to hold its own weight or not—simply assumed that he knew what he was doing (or that he was a sorry thing).

The echoes finally faded into as complete a silence as you could find in the caves, both child and man waiting—but for what? Courage? A gust of stale air through the glittering tunnels? Then, finally, it seemed the colt spotted his spectator from his lofty perch. His young, light voice cried out into the round cave, bouncing off the walls in a distorted choir. Watch this? But what if I'd be blind?

Oh, the assumptions of the young. His lips turned into a half-smile, yet he obeyed, blue eyes locked onto the monochrome form. From so far down below he didn't see the bunching of muscles, the steep angle of his fall, until his uneven flight brought him lower. Wings strained against air, the control not yet fine-tuned; his arc was drunk at the best, Irma's amused disdain for this ungraceful fledgling seeping like a warm wine through his veins. Not that the owl had been very graceful at first either, but isn't life about perfecting your skills, learning, becoming more than you were? What life would upon death be well-lived, if you were just the same as you were born as?

The colt touched down, unsteady as a newborn, stumbled and nearly fell. Mauja was just thankful he'd not been landed on, as it wouldn't have been very pleasant in his current state, fever-headache and healing wounds and all. For a moment he said nothing, did nothing, just peered down at the child still stuck in his awkward position, legs splayed for balance he just barely had—but the silence was broken by steps coming from behind, through the crack. One black-rimmed ear angled back, listening to the sound growing louder, ricocheting around the walls as the colt found his tongue and feet again. Mauja's smile grew into a crooked grin. If he was this pleased with success.. had he expected it?

Then he was off, bucking about the room, and the approaching stranger made himself known by nearly pushing Mauja to the side. Feeling utterly polite, in an icy, irritated sort of way, Mauja took a single step to the side, slow and cautious to prevent setting off his pounding headache again. And succeeded, mostly. Then the kid was back, looking so proud of his wobbly flight, staring up with the kind of eager eyes Mauja had a hard time pushing down. You didn't pour water on the flames of youth, but praising someone for something done kind of.. awfully wasn't his forte. A short stream of good-humored laughter fled from his maw. "Of course I couldn't have," he replied amiably enough. "I don't have any wings." He tilted his head (very carefully) to the side, content to ignore the strange man for now. He didn't even know what it was he'd tried to say as he passed Mauja, some garbled nonsense and his jaws looked swollen anyway. "I'm Mauja, and.." Well, what's the best way to suggest someone shouldn't do something? Without being cruel? So it was with a conversationally warm voice he went on, ".. don't you think it's better to do it once successfully, than try for a second time and maybe fail?"

Because let's be honest, given his wobbly flight, the next time he could just as well hit a wall and break something.

Outcast
Wanderer

The stallion laughed and Kari grew almost an entire inch out of sheer pride. He grinned back sheepishly as the spotted drat pointed out his own lack of wings and shuffled his feet over the slippery crystal floor to gather himself in a less unbalanced (and slightly more dignified) posture, also returning the ruffled wings to their folded position on the shoulders.

"Sorry" he said and wrapped the long tactile tail around a hock, "Mom says I should talk about others wings... Was it very rude?" The blue eyes got a slightly worried look as they peered at Mauja, anxious that he might have touched a nerve by pointing out the very obvious lack of an important physical feature. Was it a sensitive subject? Did the strider wish for nothing more than to be able to soar the heavens like Kari could? Yet, as he looked at the stranger he didn't see any signs of sadness or irritation or that wistful look that some got when thinking of things they couldn't have. Actually, on a closer inspection the seasoned stallion didn't have much of an expression at all - that tug of the lips as he laughed seemed as likely to linger as frost in spring, a small crack in an otherwise impeccable facade.

It made the foal feel like an open book. He had many secrets for one so young, but every emotion drifted across the features of his face like colored leaves in a creek, expressed so vividly and plainly that it was like a shout against Mauja's whisper. It made him uncomfortable... was he being laughed at? Seen as annoying? Hated and raged at?

The boy was almost grateful for the chance to change direction of his decidedly unpleasant musings as another suddenly barged in. Shoving his way past the pale lord so that he had to take a step aside, he earned a rare frown of dislike from Kari as he walked further into the cave, silent and strange with the way he stared at them and the room.

"Mmh, you're probably right...What's that he's got in his mouth?" the hybrid whispered distractedly to his newfound friend and peered curiously at the rounded object lodged between jaws, intrigued but unwilling to move closer to the rude fellow. Unfortunately he was not quiet enough to keep it between the two of them; the walls immediately picked up the sound of his voice and bounced it around between floor and ceiling, unveiling his curiosity in a most embarrassing way. Kari hiccuped and shrank as he gave the intruder a wild look, certain he wouldn't mind being swallowed by the floor if it rose up to claim him... Somehow he managed to suppress the impulse to hide behind the Frostheart's sturdy flanks though, as that only would have made the situation even more humiliating.

I see your true colors
Larry Wilbourn @ Flikr.com

Helovia Hard Mode

The painted guy next to me seems unimpressed by my entry. Not just unimpressed.. he is completely disregarding my presence. Well, I guess that's how some people like to play. I eyeball him for a moment. Unimpressed, disinterested. He laughs at the colt's friskiness and unimpeded pleasure. But beyond that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of feels coming from this guy. I mean, more power to you I guess. It seemed the snowy beast had little confidence in the sprite. "Better to do it once successfully, than try for a second time and maybe fail." But I do learn something interesting about Mr. Stern Snow. His name is Mauja.

I'd say do it again. But I'm not known for excellent decisions, and I certainly don't know what wings are like. As the colt comes over, he seems unamused by my presence as well. He asks if it is rude to mention wings when the beast next to me has none. Well... does it matter if you're rude? I used to care, when I was young. But it's been awhile since then. The colt begins to stare at me, and seems perturbed by my egg. I frown. No one stares at my baby that way. I huff at him. Maybe I'm being overprotective. I set the egg down carefully by my feet, lodging it into a nook in the uneven ground.

"It's an egg, and it's mine." I pause, realizing maybe that sounds strange. It's not like I birthed it. Hopefully the colt knows that, but then maybe he doesn't... I clear my throat awkwardly and say, "I mean, I found it abandoned. So now it's mine." Even though I've clarified myself, I still feel like there's something awkward going on. Either in my appearance or what I've said. "Err... I'm Rostislav. And you should do whatever your 'eart pleases. But I gotta admit, I didn't catch your name, laddie?" I glance over at Mauja, wondering what his reaction will be, if any, to me encouraging the boy to do as he pleases. Obviously my influence is not always pure.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

[ Sorry for the wait! ]

"Sorry," the colt was saying, and the strange man was glaring, and Mauja wondered for a moment what he'd walked into (or what had walked into him, rather). In the heartbeat of silence before the colt's voice went on he felt quite confused, not at all sure what he'd done wrong to put such a damper on the boy's joy—had he said something? Then the truth came out, and, in a way, it felt like the most backward racist statement he'd ever heard. It came from consideration but came out like condemnation, and Mauja's 'brows shot upwards in a mild gesture of surprise. Rude? How could it be rude if Mauja had been the one to say it? And besides—what did it matter if he had wings or not? In all his time, he'd never met a horse discontent with his or her physical lot in life, had never met someone who sighed over not having a horn or wings, or having it, or anything like that. Granted, the majority of his friends had been unicorn supremacists, and if Deimos had walked up to him on some dark, lonely night to confess some deep sorrow over not having wings—well, he would've been quite concerned if that had happened.

"It's not rude," he managed to get out, still mulling over it. Did Kari's mother think less of those who had no wings, or did she pity them? Did Mauja pity those who had no horn? It was, he had to admit, an excellent weapon, and if you pitted a unicorn against an equine, who was the most suited to stabbing the other to death? The unicorn, of course; but it was no crown to make each and every one a King or Queen. It grew out of a skull, not a noble heart, and in a lifetime spent being superior because of it, had he ever wished those who lacked one to have one? If everyone wore a horn, what would there be to build power upon? They were old methods of thinking, patterns he'd fallen out of and revisited only out of curiosity. Besides, he had never believed in slavery—had always thought that the only way to dominate was to leave nothing else around.

".. What's that he's got in his mouth?" Good thing the colt wasn't able to tell what had been going on in Mauja's head. No one ought to know such things; his attention snapped to the short, silent stranger, who decided that such a question, repeated all around by the crystal walls, demanded an answer. And so, he wasn't silent anymore, but decided to make sure the verbal conversation included him, too. What Mauja had taken for some kind of abnormal swelling, had actually just been a horse's variant of hamster cheeks; the object he laid down on the floor was familiar, with the round perfection only nature can achieve. An egg. "It's an egg, and it's mine." Why, you're possessive. The corner of his mouth twitched into a slight, crooked grin as the rugged bay went on, explaining how he'd simply found it. Most likely it would hatch into something, if it had been left around just like that—Helovia was an odd place. In what other corner of the world did horses find an egg, and immediately think, mine!? And why did it happen here, even to those who knew nothing of the companions?

Maybe it was the slumbering companion itself, who cast about for any mind to hold on to, any soul to care for it—magic, because magic was in the very fabric of this world.

He was getting sidetracked again. Focusing was harder when sick, at least that was what he had found, and his mind liked to take long, intricate strolls, ambling away from the current situation and into contemplations and problems that nearly made him get all tangled up in himself. "But if my heart would desire the death of someone," he interjected in a mild, slow manner, his mind forming the coherent sentence only the merest moment before the words tumbled off his tongue, "Should I still do it? Just because I want to? Knowing how much grief it will cause others?" There was no accusation in his voice, nor in his eyes; the pale gaze settled upon the short stranger. If he displayed one thing in that moment, it was curiosity. "Do you want for anarchy, Rostislav? Or simply the freedom of choice, unjudged by others, within the frame of certain morals?"

Outcast
Wanderer

(sorry for the wait!)

The boy relaxed visibly at the reassuring words and smiled up at Mauja, oblivious to the subject that prodded the mind of the pale strider. Kari had yet to encounter the subject of racism, had no idea that his words could be taken for anything but what they were or cause pain or suffering due to their youthful ignorance. His words and ideas were already colored by the prejudice and old customs inherited from his mother, but without any explicitly negative statements regarding other races he simply thought it the norm, how things were supposed to be - which, in itself of course is the highest form of racism possible.

It saved him that he was young and faced with someone with an open mind. The subject was already slipping from his thoughts as attentions turned to the rude fellow with the egg - because now that the stallion had stated facts it was apparent to the young hybrid as well - and with some hesitancy listened to the slightly erratic speech. Suddenly dual messages was tugging at him demanding attention. 'Do it once and do it well' faced off against 'Do whatever you want, however you want', creating a jumbled mess of confusion in the malleable mind.

Kari looked sceptically between the old men as they began to exchange philosophic theories, with a feeling that the focus of attention quickly was slipping from him to something that was awfully boring, sleep inducing.. a downright snore-fest.

"I'm Kari" he repeated for the benefit of the thorn-faced stranger, in an attempt at returning some semblance of order to the conversation; "Where did you find the egg? Were there more of them?" A slightly hopeful tone rang through the youthful tenor at the thought, and with the dare-devil courage of youth he began to inch closer to the intruder, wings tucked close to his sides and feet treading carefully as he tried to take a closer look at the toxic looking orb.

I see your true colors
Larry Wilbourn @ Flikr.com

Helovia Hard Mode

The juxtaposition of the child, still full of energy, but clearly with some slightly strange thoughts, with the stoic beast beside him, whose only emotion came through the words he spoke (if that), left me reeling. The look on my face - though fleeting - was a perfect impression of "DURRR". I recover quickly, and try my best to make it look as if I'm following along easily with their exchange, comprehending every second of it.

Yeah right.

But now Mauja directs his attention back toward me. I'm ready for it. Anarchy? Well.. if you're going to get into politics.. I hesitate, and listen closely, glancing furtively back and forth (yet as subtly as I can), to see if anyone .. untoward .. is listening. It seems I'm scot-free. "Judgment or no, I believe we make the choices we feel we must, and our morals are.... relative." I crack a small smile, guessing that the two other males may not appreciate my answer. But that's alright... because it is my opinion and my belief, and I will not force it upon them just as they shall not be able to force their opinion on me.

It is clear the small winged one is not interested in my opinions, or even those of the spotted Mauja next to me. He reinserts himself into the conversation, managing to sneak in words as the conversation finds a lull. A reintroduction: Kari. Well, that's good to know. I jot it down in the little steno pad that is my memory, wondering how long it'll be before I get coffee stains on the new page. Full of curiosity, full of questions. "I found it at the entrance to the caves.. waiting for me, it felt like." I pause to think about his second question. Had I seen more? "I've seen one or two in the care of others, but none just... lying around. Sorry, lad." There's a strange part of me that feels bad, when the foal seems so excited. A small part. I give a small shrug, making me reply seem more ho-hum. Kari moves closer, and I eye him warily. In spite of his youthful recklessness.. I sense that he will be careful, and not hurt my little devil egg. All the same, I tense, and I'm ready to break into action if I feel he poses a real threat.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

[ Uhm, Mauja has a judgmental weird, okay? xD ]

It suddenly became one of those moments when Mauja's mind disengaged, and the devil crept into him. "Judgment or no, I believe we make the choices we feel we must, and our morals are.... relative." To him, that said, "I'm a right selfish bastard, and I'll do what I want if I can get away with it". And to Mauja's odd sense of justice, it was like waving the red flag in front of a bull. The archangel within him spread its glorious wings as Lucifer himself painted a target on Rostislav's back. He breathed in, deep into his chest, lungs aching with the swell—but aside from that, he did little at first. Just felt the detachment, the crystalline clarity of chill, settle in his veins. When he breathed out again, his breath turned to white smoke in the cavern, dissipating quickly before his face.

We make the choices we feel we must. What the hell did that mean, anyway? Our morals are relative. His teeth ground themselves together, listening to Kari ask about the egg, inching closer with a boy's curiosity. The only truths are morals and perspective his mind whispered, and hating it all the same. If he'd been raised to believe himself superior, of course he believed it morally just, and right. He breathed out again, another cloud of white rising towards the distant cavern roof as Rostislav answered, waiting for you, oh, was it? Mauja's mind growled.

Sometimes his penchant for mischief and trickery was harmless, simply a means to amuse himself at the expense of others—and sometimes, it was born from actual dislike, from that odd, deeply rooted sense of justice. Equality, even, between everything, some vague, half-realized dream of utopia where he wouldn't have to deal with idiots.

So when Rostislav had finished talking, Mauja's inner devil had managed to convince itself that yes, this was a good time to do something. With a blank, slightly disapproving face and eyes of coldest glacier ice Mauja moved, much like a behemoth carved from stone suddenly coming to life, yet not without grace; large, frosted hooves found their footing on the rocky floor, sliding with ease over the crystal panels. No matter what happened he would stay clear of the egg, for he had no desire to harm it.

But what he did, was arch his thick neck and turn his head slightly to the side, and simply tried to walk into Rostislav chest-first, and with the force and bulk of 17.2 hands of power shove him away from his precious egg. Bully him to the side.

Show him the beauty of the goddamned anarchy.

We make the choices we feel we must, and you'll be at the receiving end of that, you bastard.