the Rift

[OPEN] light me up before you go go

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu

Steps that normally clacked and clanged through the caverns where they all huddled like refugees were eerily quiet here. Voices that overlapped each other until they became a muddled pool of sound were naught but faint whispers echoing through here. Ampere quickened her steps, painfully curious about this back section of the caves where it seemed few came to travel - and she soon knew why.

A wall of darkness greeted her at the end of the tunnel, though the air did not smell damp or stale, the way a corner or a small space might. Ampere craned her head forward, but as much as it seemed like it, the darkness was not a living thing and did not draw back from her touch. Instead she withdrew from it, her breathing increasing. What is this? her mind asked, curious, but frightened after what darkness had done to her thus far.

She licked her lips, weight shifting anxiously and her wings ruffling against her sides. "I could go back," she murmured, comforted by speaking aloud, as if she were not so achingly alone in these halls packed with horses. No she thought stubbornly, she wanted to know what was in there.

An idea sparked in her mind them, almost literally, as she began to collected the sand and the pebbles mixing int he archway of the murk. Blue electricity popped and buzzed into life as Ampere turned the organic matter into energy, colliding it together into one large mass and shaping it into a small bird with a flick of her tail. The creature constantly hummed with an electrical current and occasionally arcs of lightning would snap from its rough outline. Ampere laughed at her new friend as it zipped around her, its wings flapping needlessly, just for show.

It whirred past her into the dark, its light scattering the blackness only so far, but far enough to see it extended quite a ways. Steadily Ampere slipped in after her creation, drawing up more sand and rocks to create a second bird as she did, so that the two of them were fluttering all around her. For the first time in a long time her heart was airy, lifted in her chest.
"I can fly in here," she breathed, excitement bubbling inside her as she watched her electric birds soar up higher and higher. Ampere released a loud whoop and flicked her wings open, pumping them at her sides and shoving off with her hooves until she was unsteadily airborn. There were no wind currents however, and before long Ampere was earthbound once more, her weight too much for such a dead zone of air.

Still, she kept trying.

L EAVE THE PAST BEHIND, WALK AWAY | AND THE CRACKS BEGIN TO S HOW

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah
When the day is blue, I'll sit around wondering about you

If the dark scared Alysanne so much, then why was she coming here? She found peace in the sunshine, in light and life. There was nothing peaceful about darkness so thick it felt as though she were choking. Maybe it was just that, she wanted to be afraid of something else for a little while. Give her mind something else to focus on instead of everything else.

She was avoiding Miykael and she knew that it was childish if her. As much as she wanted to hunt him down and find out the truth, she wasn’t entirely sure that was a good idea. Wouldn’t knowing exactly what happened, what he had taken from her, be worse than this sick feeling of betrayal? Everything was supposed to get better now that she was back in Helovia. Not worse.

Another dilemma for the white and black mare, then, as she longed for someone to talk to about it but was unwilling to load her issues on someone else. Better to suffer on her own – she was not the only one to be undergoing turmoil these days and surely others had it far worse.

So with a hesitant sort of determination, she followed the dark path, feeling all at once comforted by the press of the earth and rocks around her and afraid of the shadows that loomed around her. Though she could not see much, she came to a point where her wings no longer trailed against the wall and she sensed that the pathway had opened up into a greater cavern. Finding and following the wall again, she moved deeper into the darkness – her fear making her heart hammer in her chest until she was certain she could hear it echo off of the walls.

But wait - that wasn’t her heart; it was the hoof-falls of another. The sound bouncing off of the walls made it hard to pick out a direction or a distance. Better turn around and make her way back to the room with the waterfall she had left. It seemed unlikely that she would run into anyone down here that she might actually want to run into.

She was heading back towards the entrance when a flicker of blue light behind her made her pause – and she turned to see the strangest bird ever illuminating the darkness on the other side (she guessed) of the once pitch-black cavern. Forgetting her caution, she stayed where she was and watched with a delighted smile as another bird joined in – and then soon she realized that there was in fact someone else there with the birds.

She watched the stranger take flight for a moment, illuminated with the blue light from the birds, and felt her own wings itch with the need to be exercised. But she didn’t have any sparking birds of her own to illuminate the walls and she just was not willing to take the chance that these ones might aid her. Despite having misgivings about meeting strangers in the dark just moments ago, Alysanne found herself moving forward in the darkness – using the vague light from the birds to direct her towards the Pegasus that had just landed. Surely someone accompanied by such wonderful creatures wouldn't attack her?

Realizing about halfway that, even with the light, it was still pretty dark – she decided to call out with a cheery “Hello there!” as a warning as she inched a little closer.

Well, she had no interest in being ‘spooky’ or attempting to scare anyone by popping out of the shadows. She didn't even like that part about playing hide-and-seek in a well-lit forest.

Her green eyes drifted from the dark stranger, still a small distance ahead, to the bright birds as she offered a compliment. “They’re beautiful. Are they magic?”

Come back to me, my darling
original html by rottie
picture credit
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

A voice whipped across Ampere's concentration, though it was with some welcome relief as her hooves sunk into the sandy surface a second time. The original hope that had been budding in her chest was quickly turning into despair. Finally a space large enough for her to stretch her wings and reach, yet still it was not enough; the caves taunted her.

Her head turned towards the sound of the mare's greeting, the gentle slope of her neck shifting under a sea of tangled mane. One of the birds flew closer to Ampere, illuminating her features which were otherwise swallowed by the dark, even the electric blue. The second bird drifted towards the stranger, its song the constant hum of energy. "Hello," Ampere returned, quiet in her moment of grounded turmoil. Still, she was interested - with as many horses as were packed into these crags few bothered to hail greetings, so Ampere took note when one did.

"Yeah," she explained, the word almost a laugh as mirth colored it and gradually lifted her from her self-pity. "Do you like them?" she asked, grinning as the second bird flitted away from her to dance around Alysanne. They had no mind, no heart, no soul of course, but Ampere liked to play with them as if they were real, breathing life into every spark that composed them until they twitched and flapped like the real thing - at least until a snare of electricity arced out of the side. She'd mostly grown use to that by now.

"They help light the way... but haven't been much use in defeating the darkness," Ampere said, growing more quiet again. Her words suggested at something greater than this pitch black room; she had not been able to fight the wraiths. That more than anything was bothering her. Ampere had always turned to the skills of her magic and body to get her through any troubles she encountered, but this one resisted all of her tricks and she felt utterly powerless and completely trapped. Just like Oxy displayed...

Ampere sighed, shaking her neck as if that simple movement might disperse the misery bogging her soul. The darkness had infected more than the land, it cast a shadow over her thoughts too. "They showed me this place is big enough to fly in at least, but, the air is too still." Ampere's voice inflected with a childish pout, the blue mare biting onto a flare of anger - anything to drive away the rain clouds of her somber conscious.

By the Gods she needed fresh air and someone's ass to kick or else she'd go mad.

It was so relieving to take the chance at meeting someone in this dark cavern and find out that they were at least a little bit friendly. Surely this place would attract more sinister personalities, though perhaps those would prefer to linger in the darkness rather then light it up with some absolutely beautiful pieces of magic.

A chuckle, warm with delight, escaped her as one of the electric creations came and danced around her – her head turning to follow it’s path before refocusing on her company to answer the question posed. “I do! I’ve never been able to create something so wonderful.” She had once been able to grow flowers wherever she wished, but to actually create something that could move and fly and dance was just extraordinary! Truly she was in the presence of an impressive magician.

Part of her wanted to reach out and see if she could touch the bird that danced around her, but she knew that as beautiful as magic could be, it could be equally dangerous. “Do they um…” Alysanne had very limited experience with electricity – she had seen lightning in the distance, had seen damage where it hit - but her instincts told her that it was dangerous, no matter how beautiful. Electric magic had existed in Nocturne, it was just not something she had come into contact with so she couldn’t quite think of the word used (‘shock’) and settled for “Hurt? If you touch them?” Despite being naturally drawn to the source of light in the room, she did not want to risk it.

At the mention of being unable to fly down here, despite their being ample room, Alysanne offered a sad smile – picking up on that pout and finding herself reacting to it much the same she would her son when he used that tone. It was certainly not an ideal situation to be in for those less passive than she was. The dark was oppressive and she longed to lie in the grass beneath the sun, but still – it was safe. She did not think they would be here for long. “At least there is enough room to stretch out, that’s more than can be said for most of this place, right? My wings have been aching to be stretched.” It was little comfort, she knew, but at least it was something. Now more than ever she thought it was important to latch onto the brighter side.

Maintaining that cheerful voice, she finally remembered her manners (even if it took another moment). “I’m Alysanne, by the way. Sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude by not saying that sooner. What’s your name? And do they have any names?” She inquired politely, once more looking to the bright blue birds. Maybe it was a silly question but she really would have felt quite rude if she did not even ask it!

original html by rottie
picture credit
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

It was easy to take magic for granted, especially your own. It was so common place, particularly around Helovia, that Ampere had stopped paying much mind to it, a danger in and of itself. Certainly magic could be beautiful and helpful, but sometimes it was too much for a horse to control, be it by mistake or otherwise. All this time she'd been worried the caves would erupt with a common sickness with everyone in close quarters, or a war to break out from an argument - it was probably more likely someone would blow up their shelter.

Alysanne was so enthralled it took Ampere by surprise, though in a pleasant way that made Ampere preen. "Do you not have magic?" she asks, beginning to walk closer now that the stranger had been decided as appealing and perhaps even, a possible friend, a rare thing for Ampere. Although, her question might be ruining that prospect. It was possibly her youth that made her naive to sensitive topics, but more likely a personality defect.

The mare didn't seem to have much experience with magic, at least Ampere thought so, as her question drifted through the dark. Ampere laughed gently, "Of course, they are electricity," she said matter-of-factually. "They would not be of much use otherwise," she murmured, almost perplexed by the notion there were nothing but ornamental. She was naive to the implications of what she said; for her it was very simple and how she has been raised. The world was hard and you needed to be tough and willing to fight to survive. There was beauty of course, and she could appreciate it, but that's why flowers were eaten and thorns were not. Magic and beauty was worthless to her if they did not cause hurt; for that reason Ampere generally assumed everyone else's magic did the same.

The birds drifted away now that the two stood close. Ampere could just barely make out parts of Alysanne, aided by the passing glow of her creations as their light continued to explore the cave. An ear flicked towards the mare before her as Ampere's attention followed her birds, listening as Alysanne spoke with a sensible optimism Ampere had been lacking lately. She grimaced at herself, frustrated with how easily she was feeling defeated and pitiful. Her gaze traveled back through the dark, searching for the mare's face, wanting to give her a smile for her advice. "You're right," Ampere agreed, her wings whispering as feathers brushed across each other, the appendages being lifted and stretched towards the dark ceiling. "I think this room may become my favorite for that very reason, even with the dark." Still a nagging part of her thought, unwilling to concede so easily, it would be nice to fly again.

Maybe she'd have to risk the top world again, just once. She needed to find Mesec anyway...

Her memory flashed an image of Brighid and the wraith, but she swallowed it down with an audible gulp, happy to be distracted with Alysanne's well-mannered formalities. "No," Ampere laughed gently again, amused at the notion of her spark sparrows having names. "They've no need of such," she explained, dropping her thread of control with them so that they dispersed with a final pop of electricity and were no more. The darkness descended rapidly, its absence of light blinding in a way that made Ampere's eyes hurt. She blinked, quickly crafting a new creature from the sand.

The blue light unfolding from the morphing sand merged into one, sparking mass that gradually shaped itself into a rabbit at Ampere's whims. She sent it hopping around by their hooves, the sand shifting only slightly with the passing currents. "They are not alive after all, they are not companions..."

The blue pegasus watched her static hare race around the room, her thoughts drifting along with it, wondering of the poor creatures bound to horse's souls being cooped up here with them all - or worse, sent out into the apocalypse by their cowardly bonded, like Midas. She was glad she'd nothing but her lightning, it was as it should be.

"I'm Ampere."

She was glad to see the mare move forward, taking it as a sign that Alysanne was not being intrusive (despite the beginnings of a conversation). It was always a good feeling to not be walked away from! She wished there was better light, so that she might see Ampere better – the mare matched their setting from what she could see (all blue and black) though it was hard to tell what was caused by the blue glow of the birds and what was not.

At the question about magic, Alysanne “Oh! I do but nothing nearly as amazing as yours.” She laughed lightly and wondered for a moment what it would be like to be able to create animals animated from moss or flowers. But no, her magic was nothing nearly as flashy. “I fertilize the earth where I stand, not exactly something that will be noticed.” It was not often that she spoke about it – still getting used to the fact that it happened – and she could not help but feel rather silly actually saying it out loud. Not exactly an enviable ability, though it suited her in a way. She so loved the idea of giving something to the earth that supported them but it wasn’t really magic the way that this mare’s electric creations were.

Her question about whether they were harmful seemed to be amusing in some small sense, though Alysanne couldn’t imagine why someone would need the ability to create animals that could cause harm. Of course it came in handy in dark places, and she imagined no wild animal would ever be an issue, but why else? It did not occur to her that there was another world she was not a part of, where equids fought with each other and would need a little bit of magic to give them an upper hand sometimes.

With a smile, she offered a light-hearted alternative to the magical creations not being ‘of much use’. “Except in darkness, of course. Though I don’t understand why you would need them to cause harm. For self-defence?” Her voice gave away her innocence easily enough, and perhaps her ignorance was showing through too, but Ampere’s laugh had been gentle enough for her to think it was alright to inquire into the matter further.

Her question about the animals having names earned her another gentle laugh, and now Alysanne was starting to feel a little embarrassed about how little she knew. But that feeling was forgotten because as soon as it was explained that they had no need of names – the birds were gone.

When they were lapsed into darkness, a small gasp escaped Alysanne – a strangled sound that she tried to get a hold of, hoping that it might have gone unnoticed – and she quickly brought her wings back closer to her body. Hugging them close as though they provided security. She was sad to see the birds go because they were lovely to look at, but mostly because they provided light – and in that moment that they were gone she felt crippled by the darkness. A reminder that she could keep her spirits up about where they were so long as there was light about.

The dark had never been a source of fear for her before and she felt ashamed that something so simple could make her heart hammer the way that it did.

The moment passed quickly and she was happy to see a new creature, a hare this time, emerge and illuminate the area around them and brighten up the other mare’s face once more. Comforted once more by the glow, Alysanne felt her body relax and her heartbeat return to normal. It was good to know she was not the only one that did not enjoy the dark.

“Oh yes that’s right, they’re magic.” Magic or not, Alysanne imagined that if she had a pair of creatures that she could conjure up, she’d name them. It was hard for her to look at the hare hopping about at their hooves and not think it was alive in some aspect – it had a face, after all! “I’m still trying to get the hang of everything, Helovia’s so different than where I came from.” She explained, apologetically. Would it ever reach a point where she actually knew everything about this land? It did not seem likely. “I thought they might have been companions at first.” Though of course, now she knew better.

But knowing that they weren’t alive did not diminish how amazing they were.

Finally, she has a name to put to the face before her – beautiful in the glow of the hare – and a bright smile appearing once more. “It’s so wonderful to meet you, Ampere.”

original html by rottie
picture credit
made by the lovely tamme

It was interesting to learn that Alysanne had magic. She seemed so intrigued Ampere could only assume it was one of her first experiences with the elements, but perhaps just the particular ability caught the girl's eye. "Don't we all have that magic?" Ampere responded with a smirk when Alysanne spoke of her ability, swishing her tail to further the point. She did not mean to be cruel, just trying to stay light. She was sure fertilizing the earth would always prove helpful too, in it's own way. Ampere remembered too well the feeling of near starving in the endless night, and even now, fungi and moss were losing their taste and abundance.

Their topic of discussion continued on, leaving Ampere once more in stunned wonderment at her newest acquaintance's ignorance to the ways of godly powers. Alysanne seemed not to understand why magic would have to cause harm, but Ampere could not fathom why it shouldn't. She let a pause fall between them, trying to phrase herself carefully so that she might best explain. "There is a saying I know," Ampere began, glancing towards the mare and her blue-lit features. "Force without justice is tyrannical. Justice without force is powerless." Ampere let her voice drop away, giving Alysanne time to ponder that phrase with her own thoughts before Ampere coloring it with her's. "I'm trying to establish justice among this world. Too often do the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. Someone has to step in, someone has to establish ethics... but alone, with only words, it is too easy to ignore what is right."

Ampere thought of the countless times she had tried to tell others of their cruel ways with companions. She had sobbed, she had screamed, and she had pleaded, but it was only through fighting had she made any headway worth noting. She knew now what she had always known but been too afraid to recognize. She could not do this alone. There was more to force than only magic.

"Do you believe in justice, Alysanne?"
Would this mare be more than a chance meeting in the dark?

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
ooc:; wanted to jump in! :D i promise it'll get better!

I'm lit up like a candle. My entire body, including wings, is covered in red, orange, and yellow. I enter the dark room, immediately lighting up the floor around me. How high is the roof? All I see is darkness as I look up. Then, I hear voices. From what I can tell, it sounds like a mare. Maybe two or three?

"Do you believe in justice, Alysanne?" one says.

The name Alysanne has been braided into my mind ever since I was healed. "Alysanne? Are you hear?" I gallop towards the voices hoping to match a face to a voice. I aim to light them up. Not with fire, but the light glowing off of the fire. Maybe I know this first mare. "ALYSANNE!" I scream out into the never ending pool of ebony shadows.

There are probably monsters in here. I haven't really run into monsters that aren't horses. Monstrous horses however, I have met. The manbitch is just one example of a monster. I wouldn't be suprised if one of my friends backstabbed me in some way I am not even aware of yet.

Is that even a bearable possibility? If so, which friend?

I want to find them so badly, to no longer be alone. There is a deep urge inside of me to find these horses. Why? I have no idea, but something urges me forward. "Where are you guys?" I whimper out helplessly into the dark expanse with the name The Pit. I've heard whispers of horses coming in here and getting lost in the darkness. Am I to get lost in the shuffle, also? Perhaps this is my destiny?

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Alysanne had never quite thought of her magic that way and the flood of embarrassment at Ampere’s question made her face feel hot, hastily looking away for a moment as she caught on to what had been implied. It was true, of course, and such a daily act was nothing to be ashamed of – and of course, she was right. They all did give back in that manner. “But that… it’s not as… constant.” She was trying not to be flustered about this turn in the conversation as she defended herself, her power, just a little bit. If she knew more she might say that there were nutrients provided by her hooves that did weren’t present in other fertilizing methods, but as it was she consoled herself by the fact that whether everyone helped or not – she could do a little more.

She listened with interest as Ampere described her take on justice, a concept that Alysanne was familiar with but not one she ever had to see put in action. She pondered the concept of requiring force to provide justice – and while she still didn’t agree that it was necessary she imagined it would help, that it would be easier to use force. When the question was turned to her, she had to take a moment to think about it. She did not like the idea of tyrants, of those that had power taking more and more for the sake of it and giving nothing back. “I suppose so. What injustice is it in this world that you’re fighting?” She had mentioned fighting against the strong getting stronger, but she knew so little of Helovia – aside from their current situation she had not witnessed anything close to injustice in these lands. Who was taking power away from the weak? she wondered.

After the calm conversation that she had been having, hearing her name screamed in the shadows beyond the comforting glow of the blue rabbit’s glow sent chills through her body. She knew that voice, recognized it instantly, but which version of the little golden girl had found her way into the darkness? Turning to look, she could see the glow of flames in the darkness. Strange how the sight of fire instilled some sort of fear but she had grown to find the blue sparkling electricity comforting. Both were dangerous and so was the darkness. “Can the infected enter these caves?” She asked Ampere in a quiet, shaking voice before turning to face the fiery form moving forward. Logic would have told her that Ampere was far better suited to defend herself than Alysanne was but it wasn’t the blue-magician’s name being called.

What if Aurelia had been healed though? How much of a risk would it be to wait and find out? They could slip away in the darkness, hide from that burning figure, but she felt sick to her stomach at the idea of turning and running away. She hated this fear and the way it gripped at her, revealing how weak she really was. Whichever version of Aurelia was there she needed to know for sure. She hadn’t run in the Edge until the last moment – and she would not run here.

Finding calm, telling herself there was no reason to leap into panic just yet – she called out in an easy tone. “Aurelia, follow the blue light. We’re over here.” She used the plural though she would not ask Ampere to take the risk that this was a wraith playing some trick on them, nor could she say for certain whether the blue rabbit would remain or there would be other light to further signal where they stood apart from the darkness. “They’re just shadows, there’s nothing to be afraid of.” Using that soothing voice she used for comforting, for speaking to foals, she decided to be hopeful that infected-Aurelia would not have sounded so convincingly frightened.

original html by rottie
picture credit
made by the lovely tamme

Ampere was hopeful when Alysanne seemed curious, not hasty to butt in her own opinion or to reject what Ampere had to say. She thought she had judged this mare correctly and was grateful when it proved correct, thus far.

"There's a lot," Ampere responded at first to Alysanne's question, though she knew it was too broad to be anything but useless. "Those who are stolen and can't break free, those who go hungry, those who are enslaved..." Ampere recalled her success in getting Shadow free of her captor after being kidnapped from her herd. At the time Ampere had only done it to use Shadow as a bargaining chip for information, but the mare had proven a useful ally and for that Ampere reconsidered her motives, led mostly in part by her increasing drive to free the companions.

"Many don't seem to realize what exactly entails bonding to a companion." Ampere began carefully, though she knew she would not be able to maintain her composure for long with this topic. Still she would try, remembering too well her previous attempts at explaining and their failures - it helped that Alysanne seemed unbonded, so far. "A creature that would otherwise have lived its own life is chained to one's soul, its emotions, its thoughts, its entire existence intertwined with the horse it bonds to, a horse which typically makes all the decisions on their conjoined life. That alone is terrible sounding enough, but then these companions are frequently pitted against larger opponents in battles as an advantage for the horse! I even know of one that was being sent outside the Sanctuary, risking its life among the wraiths because its bonded was too scared to leave the safety of the caves where the infected cannot enter." Ampere finished with a derisive snort, thoroughly disgusted by everything she just had to explain.

"It is a greedy and selfish habit that the horses of Helovia participate in, disregarding the desires and well being of the companions they so readily enslave." The electric rabbit near them had begun to spark and pop actively, its outline frequently blurred by the angry energy feeding off Ampere's heightened emotion. At times the hare seemed to morph into a monstrosity, its blue shape clawing to consume anything near by with an electric sizzle. Realizing she was growing hot again Ampere quieted down, shaking her head at Alysanne's query on the wraiths. "They don't seem to be able t-"

Just then a shout arose at the side, a name being flung frantically about the pit from where an orange, flickering glow emanated. Ampere startled at first, her wings ruffling at the abrupt clamor, but just as quickly she settled, though her ears had sunk against her neck and remained there for a while, coaxed upright only at Alysanne's encouraging voice as she called out to the strange horse. Ampere wasn't certain how the girl failed to see their little blue nightlight, but all the same she flicked her tail and the rabbit went bounding off towards Aurelia, intent on leading her back towards them.

Ampere was sad to see the light glow, its absence plunging her and Alysanne into complete darkness.

baylee
“Aurelia, follow the blue light. We’re over here.”

immediately, I let myself cool down and return to my non-fiery self. The bright flames on my coat shrinking into smaller blazes, then to nothing. The smell of smoke plastered somewhat onto my body. The smell, unfortunately, is part of the package with this magic. With fire, comes smoke. Quite like how if you have an apple, there will be seeds on the inside, except for the very rare case in which the seeds are not there. Then, it's like mindfuck all over the place, eh?

I realize I am getting off topic with my train of thoughts and quickly drop the subject of my BBQ-ish smell. My next thought is about the 'blue light'. What blue light? I cannot see a blue light, and frantically look ahead. Then to the left and right, then behind. When I turn my body and look, I can see them. They were hidden from my view until now. I see this 'blue light' grow as it looks to be coming closer. I walk towards it, my curiosity and overwhelming desire to have friends over comes me and suddenly, I am galloping closer to it. Then, I close the distance between me and that light as fast as I can. I realize it is a small and dim light as I near it, for I can look at it without squinting and it doesn't seem to light up a humongous area.

I follow this little light until I can see the outline of Alysanne and her friend. I allow my body to reheat and catch fire again. The flames quickly engulfing my entire body, turning my into a phoenix. "Aly!" I squeal when I am finally standing next to her. "Aly, I've missed you a whole bunch since the last time we talked in the thistle fields." I can remember that day as if it was yesterday. She'd also mentioned this stallion there, who I have yet to meet. Oh, I miss my innocence from that day. I miss the will to learn about everything put in front of my long muzzle. I miss wanting to be me, and not be someone that is better than me... like Africa. I'd give up a lot to be an Africa-type of horse. That mare is so darling and sweet. I think I didn't recognize that before, but she was very willing to help me. "I have so much to tell ya, girl!" I talk like a two year old (partially because that is what I am, and partially because I'm so happy to see her!) Then, I decide to introduce myself to this stranger, who is probably a very dark color, or even black, with lighter colors. Possibly a blue color? Unless my light isn't hitting her and she is in the shadows, I'm pretty sure she's black and blue. Unusual, yes, but oh so fascinating. "I am Aurelia, a friend of Alysanne." I smile softly, although it is hidden by the flames rolling into billows of smoke from my muzzle, lips and nostrils. Basically, everything is fiery and hidden. My smile is proud though, as if I am proud I actually have someone to call a friend.

I've been in dire need of a friend.

Slaves, hunger, infections – Helovia was not the paradise that Alysanne had first believed when she arrived here. She tried to recall whether there were those that could be stolen or enslaved in Nocturne, but realized with guilt that she had been far too engrossed in her own life and her family to worry about the politics of the herds that just happened to exist around them. If she had known, maybe there would have been something that she could have done. No one deserved to be captive.

But there seemed to be a specific type of enslavement that Ampere was truly passionate about – and Alysanne’s attention remained on the blue mare as she explained, starting out rather calmly, about the injustice of companion bonding. Now, Alysanne had never viewed the bond as anything but that – a bond. She had little experience with companions, having only met one before entering the caves and only seeing them from a distance down here. “That’s terrible!” She couldn’t help but exclaim at the idea of the animals being forced to fight against each other – but as she had pointed out earlier, the idea of anyone battling rather unnerved her. Whatever Ampere said about justice without force being powerless, Alysanne believed different. “I did not know…” Alysanne did not believe that it was all as terrible was Ampere was saying, though her knowledge on the subject was not adequate. She could not find it in herself to believe such negativity was the norm. “But isn’t there love there too? I’ve only seen kindness between those bonded – surely companions are the greatest friends to those that they become bonded to, even family.” There were more questions that she wanted to ask, but the subject had been changed by the arrival of Aurelia.

Ampere did not seem to share her fear that the newest addition to the dark was a wraith, the infected version of sweet Aurelia. Though she had not been there the last time, so Alysanne couldn’t blame her. The white-and-black mare tried to stay calm, willed none of the fear to rise up inside of her and take over until she knew, and it almost did. When the leaping, electric rabbit left them in darkness Alysanne felt as though she would drown in her despair. One steadying breath and then another until Aurelia had joined them.

Her fears were unwarranted, which was good. Ampere might have need to give her a crash course in justice-with-force had everything gone wrong.

It took another few moments for her anxiety to completely fade away – but a blue-lit smile was easy enough to manage when she realized her friend was healthy again. The golden mare seemed to have no recollection of the actual last time that they had met – which Alysanne was thankful for. She did not wish to dredge it up, to remind the young mare of what had happened. No, better to leave the idea that the last time they had met was in the meadow, where Alysanne had trouble with her landings.

The smile becomes easier as Aurelia came to stand beside her and she reached out to nudge her affectionately on her neck, so thankful to see her happy and healthy again! “I can’t wait to hear about it!” It was as if nothing had even happened, and that was a farce Alysanne could live with. “This is Ampere,” She introduced the other mare with no lack of fondness despite their short acquaintance. They might have different ideals, but she admired the passion with which the other spoke. “She was just teaching me a little about companions and Helovia.”

original html by rottie
picture credit
made by the lovely tamme

The blue rabbit of lightning follows the aureate mare, though she seems not to notice and soon enough produces a light of her own. The orange and red glow competes with the blue of Ampere's, but the pit is all the more comforting for it.

Ampere falls quiet as the two mares share a reunion. She turns her gaze away, feeling awkward as she watched and listens to them rejoice - when had she ever felt that way towards anyone, or at least, expressed it? Even in the company of others loneliness found a way to plague her. She hated it.

A quiet sigh tumbled from her nares and she busied herself by playing with her blue hare. She sent it scurrying around between their feet, its electricity humming like a heartbeat and popping like a cry of delight. Ampere smiled, relishing for the first time in the long time the beauty of her ability rather than the power. Maybe Alysanne had a point after all.

Her name pulled her back into the conversation. Her head turned easily on the slope of her neck, the blue of her gaze piercing through the encompassing darkness, lashes blinking against the harshness of Aurelia's glow as it contrasted heavily with the endless void of no light that was this place. What an off area for such friendly and bright personalities to be greeting.

"Hello," Ampere intoned as Aurelia introduced herself and Alysanne provided explanation. She smiled slightly, though it was probably lost in the dark; her expression was little more than a glaring smudge of blue in this place.
"I'm trying," Ampere murmured in response to Alysanne's last words, but the passion had been deflated from her voice. "I admit I don't know everything about them," Ampere began, her tail whispering over her hocks as she swished it in idle thought, "Though I mean to find out all that I can, and I know that there's more to them than most horses realize." Ampere glanced between Alysanne and Aurelia, wondering just what sort of horses they were when it came to the enslavement of souls. She had met plenty of individuals with pleasant dispositions, but it did not stop them from carting around their eternal pets. Ampere didn't understand how she was the only one disgusted by it.

"It's true, what you say Alysanne," Ampere began, referring to the end of their conversation prior to Aurelia's entrance. "There is love, but love is many things and is born for many reasons. I can't help but wonder why a horse cannot simply love and befriend another horse, that has their own free will and the ability to walk away, instead of magically entwining souls with an infant creature that knows no better."

Ampere offered no answer to the question she more or less posed. She did not have one, did they?

baylee

Aurelia
Keep your head up, keep your heart strong.

"talk talk talk"

“This is Ampere,” I shift my gaze towards the mare and stretch out my muzzle to her. I am oblivious to the fact a mare might enjoy her personal space and attempt to bump her muzzle with mine. Aly's voice flickers to life again, and I am intrigued in what the dual-colored girl has to say. “She was just teaching me a little about companions and Helovia.” Instantly, I think of the egg I found. Using my conscience to guide me, I decide it's best to keep my mouth closed in this topic. I have one egg and a lot of stupidity. Many things can go wrong with this combination, thus, I become quiet and just listen.

"instead of magically entwining souls with an infant creature that knows no better." What? Entwining souls? What does that even mean? I blink a few times, confused by what this mare has just said. This random mare. This stranger that could easily attack and try to kill me and my egg right now has just said what is probably the most confusing thing to me. "U-u-uh.... What do you mean by entwining souls and why can't they just love? I don't have a companion, but I have found an abandoned egg? Would you have liked me to just let it die instead of saving it?" I am honestly, 100%, confused. My tone is filled with curiosity, confusion, and longing. I am far from sarcastic right now. Curiosity is because.. well, what the hell is she talking about? Confusion is from me wondering what the hell she's talking about, again. Longing is just me longing for answers in my slightly annoying whining voice.

Oh yea, I have a name for my whining voice, but don't all sane/slightly insane horses?

"I want to know more about companions, Ampere. I don't even understand the basics!" My voice is slightly louder than I wanted it to be, but it's far from shouting (i think). I wanted to add that I barely understand how we have wings, how unicorns have horns sticking out of their heads, or even how I possess the skill to be set ablaze, but not burn! How does Ampere and Aly seem so wise? How long have they been here? When did they learn about all of this stuff? When will I come to terms with reality and except the facts that their is magic here!?