the Rift

[PRIVATE] Well now I'm just ugly and smelly

Satanic Silk Posts: 153
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 5 (Tallsun) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE

SPREAD ME. Infect, kill, destroy. No goddamnit I'm worn out. Leave me alone. Of course, you can't tell an infection to leave you alone, it's sort of inherently part of you. I trudge into the sanctuary, the last place I saw my beloved. I'm tired of this infection, the fever that constantly plagues me. The desire to kill, as fun as it can be, never wanes. I'm plagued. A small groan slips past my tattered lips. Is there no relief for a poor old man? The infection nags at my insides, reminding me that if I was an old man, I'd probably be dead. Instead, I am young and spry, and though I appear decrepit, the infection has empowered me to continue on, to fight each day and conquer. I've bitten Histe (though how she managed to evade infection still befuddles me), I've had sex with.. well I don't know her name, but some wraithy bitch. Hell she threatened to rip off my balls with her teeth! Made it out of that alive and... intact. But now my body is weary, and I seek respite. Here, in the caves, I last saw Africa. When the infection began to overtake me I was forced to flee, lest I attack any of my fellows, or they attack me in my disease and maddened state. The infection inside me now, unable to feed on others, feeds on me instead. I think I may be dying. I move slower, and it's more difficult. Though it's hard to tell, I wonder if the rotting flesh is increasing, and falling off my bones more and more.

I've come here now to the caves to find that respite, the relief I crave. I'm a weakened man, and the arrogance that was once all you could see of me is hidden away. I'm not who I thought I was. Let me die, if I must, but let me see Africa anymore. When I fled the caves, I was unable to hear her, if she called out for me, if she ignored me and I pray she didn't. As I first enter the Sanctuary, no one seems to notice me. I'm in shock, wouldn't they normally notice a half-dead diseased creature entering their mist? Maybe I'm so weak they don't see me as a threat anymore. The infection inside me protests, insisting that I'm still strong and beastly. Dude... no. I stop and stand in a dark corner, scanning the cavern for my beloved Africa. Will she at least stay with me as either the others kill me, or this infection does the dirty work for them?

Walking "Talking"
Tags: @[Midas] & @[Hector]
Aww, Silk is so sad.

Satanic Silk
[Image: silkicon2_by_lainey_lou-d73bsek.png]
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Silk excluding dismemberment and death.
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>
 Fear is only the emotion of choice</style>

We’d made headway over the past few weeks, saved a few souls from the disease that ran rampant. I cringed to think of those that still remained above us, lingering in the darkness, dying in vain. My daughter stood among those infected, somehow I knew that at the very least she still drew breath—and we would see each other again. Fina chirped mildly, but with compassion to understand such grief. “She’ll come home.” My sigh was her unspoken response, the mind link between us heard, “Yar, I know.” With how many of our kin in tow? Who else would I have to wrap up in chains and drag to the bottom of this pit?

The rotten smell of the infected seemed to invade us at random times, I hadn’t begun to notice that in this instance the strength of it wasn’t some ghostly ambition brought about by some active imagination. My companion hissed hatefully, her eyes peering toward the slopping entrance of our temporary home and feathers rising defensively. “What is it?” my voice broke apart and I was stunned into silence. Golden gaze widening before drawing tightly together as the reality of this intrusion struck home. A shadow emerged from the stony hall, his breath a rasp, heaving with death on each exhale.

“To arms!” I roared, fire flaring toward life around shoulders and armored neck. Mane licked with harmless flames that seemed to spring alive when emotions ran high. Again my steel and golden mask was called into action, each slivery plate slide forth and coated the most vulnerable parts of flesh. Stone clanked loudly beneath as I sprang from the shadows a beast with one keen purpose in life. Defend those that yet drew breath. Fina took to the air, ready to support me if the need arose.

They’d never made it past the entrance before, I couldn’t understand why this one would be able to soar past our defenses. My chains were outside and it would take them longer than a few moments to arise from their hidden position in the ground. “To me demon, look to me!” I shouted readily, knowing that their attention was easily drawn away from prey when more tempting delicacies arose.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream
No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

A moments respite had been ordered; the soldier forced from his post by the instruction of those higher ranked than he, and Hector had submitted although still his body ached for battle, and his mind for trial.

The tawny beast descended into the throws of darkness, of stale muggy air and resonating hoof beats, reluctantly, but obediently. His fiery gaze was thrust between those milling and musing by the wayside; filling their time with whatever thought tainted their mind, and he couldn’t help but wonder why many chose not to commit their service to the resistance- to W.A.R. He was a valiant heart, intrepid by nature, though his ability to sympathise, to relate and compromise had been drastically reduced during his service alongside the greatest; in the army of Dragon’s Throat. He had never the want to wallow in sallow thought, and rarely did he find the time to sway with pity, and pander to those frailer than he- Hector had sworn to uphold the name of his home, and that was what he had set to achieve.

The entrance to the Wall of History opened to the left as he passed quickly though The Sanctuary. Fleetingly, eyes shifted through to view those hunkered within; the cleansing fountain, the shimmering pictures wrought into sheer, cold rock face. Without reason to pause, he continued downwards through the corridor which curled into the Glowing Room, the faint phosphorous glow seeping up the passage even before the doorway came into view. Not even had Hector the chance to slip into that misty room though, for a summoning bellow fell urgently from above, and instantly his hulking frame had swivelled to launch in the direction he had come.

It was Midas’s voice which called- together they had brought one to be healed, and the orange beast himself had sipped the God of the Earth’s gift also should his own health have been compromised. Many other wraiths had also been pulled to task; hope, achievement and the whisper of both flourished, many in the army felt that the light of victory was just barely beyond their reach now. Hooves thundered heavily as they gathered momentum, and he thrust himself into the open hall where the gilt stallion stood poised and wrapped tightly in steel; a figure of magnificence, determination and power.

Veci slithered down at the silent will of his partner, passing as only the invisible breath of wind from his patrol outside and found quickly the wraith which had trespassed. Although he moved to curl and waft harmlessly around the rotting monster, readying himself should the direction to act be dealt, the Boggart remained hidden; his abilities mute for the moment. "Sir…" The stallion’s deep voice resonated from his position to the rear of the painted- even before Midas had called for the attention of the ghoul. Enormous wings ajar and tail flicking vehemently behind, Hector bristled willingly and awaited any direction thrown for him. Always his tangerine gaze watched the wraith.

[note: Hector is no longer a wraith.]

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

A groan slips past my lips. I stand there in the dark corner, trembling. I'm certain death has come upon me. Africa -- I can't see her anywhere. Has she left me? Why wouldn't she... I turned into a sickly gas breathing demon with rotting flesh. How could anyone have stayed by my side... After all, it was I who did the leaving in the ... Sanctuary... Who was I to stand accusing her of anything? My heart shattered inside me - or whatever was left of it. Who knew what parts of my this infection left untouched, if anything at all. I doubted there was any part of me that was not mutilated and deformed.

A shout, a warning. It's loud and piercing, though certainly if I had wanted to in my deranged state I could have been even louder. Yet somehow my ears are ringing with the sound of his voice. I think I recognize it.. yes, I'm sure I do. Who is this? M-Midas? He looks different to my eyes now. More.. shiny. Of course it is his armor that I've never seen before, the little light outside shining in, reflecting on it and into my eyes. I turn my eyes away toward the wall, tossing my ragged silver mane over my eyeballs, a desperate attempt to shield myself. Somehow my voice comes out, ragged, desperate, yet still sounding as devilish as if Satan has come up and inhabited my body. "Midas I know I am not what I was. Please... kill me quickly... make it swift." I bare my throat.

Another beast has appeared. I do not know him, but I vaguely remember his form as I'd rushed from the Sanctuary before. A guardian, watching over the herds sheltered in the murky darkness. Horns upon his brow, feathers spread from his glorious form, radiant golden brown body that might have shown bright and uplifting in the light of day. In the darkness, like a shadow moving toward me, swiftly and ready to end me. So would it be this beast who'd take me, not Midas? But no, he stopped behind Midas. The two formidable in my sight, I did not know what they are waiting for. Midas calls to me. "Damn you Midas you have my attention.. END ME!" The last words come out a hiss, as the infection inside me realizes its existence is being threatened. It stabs at the parts of me still able to feel, still able to know what true life is. I cry out in pain, suffering. But my cry is a shrill, piercing shriek that echoes in the cavern. To the ear that does not truly listen, it sounds only like death come anew. But to one who knows, one who can hear beyond... The pain is tangible. I take a step forward toward the king and the brute behind him. My throat is still bared, but the look in my eyes shows that a brutal internal battle is taking place as the infection fights for control, and though weakened, I struggle to keep it at bay.

Walking "Talking"

Satanic Silk
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
 MIDAS</style>

There was only heartbeats between us; if a demon’s heart even beat within that half rotted breast. Even when I felt a soldier drift up behind me, my gaze never left our opponents frame. One dark ear met Hector’s single word acknowledgement—it didn’t take but a moment for my senses to register who stood at the rear and feel right in knowing that my spine was well covered. My heavy mass of alabaster silk flicked right, a wordless response to his position and a soundless method for me to cue a friend in as I traced forward and to the left with careful steps. “Go right,” I flicked again just out of affirmation, and twitched my right ear toward his solid amber frame. Both ears slipped back against skull half a step later, clapping hard against the mess of mane below, “Be wary.” A fact that neither of us needed to know; lord only knew what tricks this beast was capable of. Obviously we weren’t as protected in this hovel as previously thought. How had this creature slipped past so easily?

Our ghoul speaks, words that register as weak—or perhaps strangled. I pause, gapping, staring at him. My mouth slips apart further and for a full second nothing but air crosses through. My shock is evident because I’d yet to hear these infected souls speak with any sort of logic that didn’t include blood and death. In that moment I realize who the wraith standing before us is, “Satanic Silk.” Words that drift out in more of a whisper meant for nobody. Surprise fades into a faint hum and I drift my skull lower from its regal position, regarding him plainly instead of offensively, “Be still…be easy brother and hold fast. Your life need not end today. We have a cure.”

Was it too late to reach him?

Chains shook off the last of their dirt from yon entrance, they start a slow descend into the pit. Quietly and cautiously creeping up from behind in the darkness, should things turn sour (which was likely) I’d be forced to use them. Muzzle extends to its full reach, a pained warning flares within me to turn aside. Chain him and have conversation later it screams-- but I can’t shake the notion that if he could fight this evil without violence. A child of the desert was strong, no matter the length of time they’d spent in our homeland. Maybe there were others who could do the same. Though, it was more likely this foolish hope is to be dashed, “If ye can fight just a little longer.” Encouragement, perhaps falsely placed, “Let’s go to the water together.”

The wraith’s grisly form had deteriorated beyond Hector’s ability to recognize him as the one who had been forced from The Sancturay during the first moments; long, long ago now. His eyes shed not the emotion of one braced before their transformed kin; they held little mercy for one who hungered after the lives which mulled through relative safety below, and still less trust. He had watched already a rotting corpse target Megaera and Gaucho, and was not so foolish to believe that this creature held the same lack of moral code.

Midas indicated carefully and discreetly his instructions to Hector; the thick silvery-white mass of tail ahead flicked without need for the accompaniment of vocal direction- the heedful soldier was ready, watching, moving. Long, strapping red limbs carried him gamely right while his brother in arms travelled left and while ears fixed forward the sensitivity of his hearing upon the monster, watchful eyes were positioned with a slight tilt of his embellished skull to monitor the painted. When the wraith spoke, asking for death of all things, the tawny beast scoffed silently, eyes narrowing as the flimsy breath of darkness sailed so discreetly down through the passageway to wrap around its putrid family. It seemed Midas would not easily sway to the unnerving shift of the wraith either- though he did pause.

A low rumble resonated through the raised pulse of Hector’s fleshy breast; bright, red-gold ears reclined apprehensively, and he noted guardedly the unspoken familiarity between the two. To his rear, the bony length of his feline-like tail began to snap warily- he would not snub the order given, but there was absolutely no trace of the humility which now seemed suddenly to quash the rarely seen nastiness in his superior.

The stance of the other stallion changed, and he began to speak to the wraith. The orange giant bristled in place, setting his weight cautiously to rest across tightly clenched haunches. Wings unfurled, and the rippling mesh of muscles beneath the sleek sheen of his yet to thicken coat began to flinch with alarm- he could not fathom the reason for delay; could not understand the sudden rouse of conversation between foes. Perhaps if he had known the wraith formerly, more intimately, he too might have found the flicker of quality; the strength of his clan-mate. Alas he had not though, and so he waited with short and sharpened breath for the wraith to swing and take advantage of the situation.

• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

They're moving closer to me, steadily. Midas, the one I recognize, the one I know. The one I share some sort of... father-son bond with, or I did... he is calling the shots. Of course he is. My body is so weak, I know they are coming for me now but I stand there still, now trembling. My body is drenched with sweat, and with a SPLAT I hear some of the skin from my ribs fall to the cave floor. Were I in my previous, non-infected state I may have retched from the disgusting sound and view. But nothing is in my stomach, what's left of it. I heave, and thick streams of blood exit my mouth. Many carnivores - and even some twisted herbivores - enjoy flesh, but no one really enjoys the rotten stuff.

He speaks to me, the golden one. He tells me to hold on. To.. to walk to some place with water. The water. I do not know what the water is, but my diseased blood screams in rejection. I pin my ears and screw my eyes shut. Inside me, my blood is boiling, and I feel like the remaining bits of my internal organs are being stabbed repeatedly with a jagged knife. My infection knows what I do not, and it is struggling. Struggling against my weak body, and trying to use pain to motivate me to fight the good guys. Midas tries to reassure me that my death is not necessary. I'm not sure that's a possibility. The red hybrid that is assisting Midas does not seem to think that it is a possibility either.

In a faux display of might, I spread my spindly wings out as much as the cramped space allows me, as if to fight. But no matter the internal pain I am suffering, no matter how much the infection tries to get me to fight this new fate, I have not the will to resist. My wings fall to my sides, drooping limply to the ground. I take a small step toward Midas, my head down, blood still dribbling from my lips. "I will not fight. End my suffering, I beg." The step, one more to follow. But my legs are trembling and I stumble, falling to my knees, cutting them on the rough stone of the caves. I cough and more blood comes up. The infection, so cognizant of the world and of me, seems to realize that I am no longer able to fight and defend it, and it begins to attack me harder, out to kill me instead of motivate me. I reach out a hoof, trying to gather strength to stand again. I heave for oxygen, hoping to bolster myself. Barely, just barely, I managed to get to my feet again. I whisper. "I don't think I can make it." Another step and I worry I will fall, and not be able to get up again.

Walking "Talking"
Satanic Silk
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

I stood in a cross of wanting to help in a painless way but also knowing full well that this situation could turn sour instead of just bitter—but didn’t we already have the higher ground? What was there left to fear from this poor soul, my eyes momentarily flicker to Hectors, searching for a hint that would incline what raced behind his skull. Those broad shoulders and stern eyes seemed undaunted from their task, even by sudden appearance of a soul within our kinsman.

This might just as well be a trick to lull us into dropping our guard, and it would be best to play on the safe end of such thinking. Though it should be fairly noted that this was somehow different from the usual visits we’d had from previous wraiths. The leather winged stallion, absent his former glory collapsed upon himself, and instinctively I brushed a step forward as if to aid. My body froze, shocked by the handling of emotion that coursed through veins and into my blood. “Silk.” I said softly, gentler. To rush toward him in offering, would be like me sticking my manly self into the jaws of a beast, praying they didn’t snap shut before striking home, “Forgive the pain I cause.”

My chains dropped from their levitating position above when he fell and rose for the second time. Their movement not so much with a purpose of entrapping (should our dark brother remain still), but more so for offering support—though despite my intentions, this ride wasn’t going to be a pleasant or painless one. Those links had been fashioned with the purpose of ensnaring a thrashing beast, and there was nothing to be done to make them more comfortable.“Just be still and let me do the work.” We had to move quickly, by his weakened state I wasn’t sure that our indoor wraith was going to last much longer.

It's clear who is on my side and who is not. Who wants to destroy me and who wants to save me. Hector stands, a statuesque warrior, but in his stillness I read a tension. A spring, coiled tight and ready to let loose, he is waiting for me to make the wrong move. For surely a wraith cannot be trusted. He has a point though. I think that I am in control, that my infection has given up on me except to kill me, but what do I know? I've never been killed by an infection such as this before - how could I possibly know what is going to happen?

Midas seems to be torn between helping, and being wary of the death that I carry inside me. Can I blame him? I don't know what is happening until it is too late. The clank of metal, and chains are tight around my body. I squeal and a sudden energy takes over me as I flap my wings as hard as I can, bucking and trying to break the chains. But they are clearly enchanted and much too strong for me in my weakened state, even with the sudden burst of energy. I sink into them, and they hold me fast and tight, the links digging into my disgusting flesh. The infection inside me knows that it is about to be cleansed from my body, it fights harder. I think it senses it can't win.. but is determined to take me down with it. The chains pull me weakened carcass toward a cavern room to the left, and I see a large wall with multiple inscriptions on it. The chains drag me, making sure I don't escape the fate assigned to me. Midas has assured me that death is not necessary, but I can't help but doubt his resolve. There's a pool of water, and a fountain, and the chains halt my body in front of it, as if waiting for further command from their master.

I'm puzzled, and weakened enough that the chains are all that hold me up. A despicable, pathetic sight I am now. I am glad that Africa - and Cypress, the little dear - are not here to see me this way.

Walking "Talking"
OOC: moved it along with Angel's permission
Satanic Silk
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
 MIDAS</style>

Our little trip down the fountain path was in all seriousness event-less when compared to the screaming creatures that had descended into this pit before him. Silk seemed surprisingly capable in offering enough control to remain mostly still, (aside from the first few moments of thrashing). The edge of his salvation is close, all that remained was a threshold to pass over. Chains rose, holding him strongly enough to carry the weak wraith up and over. Water splashed, brimming the dip and rushing across the bottoms of my feet, covering the smooth stone and glimmering faintly in the patched crystal glow.

Gently, I lowered him into the pool. The water would finish our work, heal the broken and restore what the darkness had ravaged. It was a relief to see yet another be rid of this illness; in truth I was tired of the smell of fever and white pus. “He is different from the others…perhaps the disease is weakening?” ornamental crown craned toward Hector, eyes curiously searching his gaze to share findings in all this. None of the others had shown any remorse for their actions, nor control for whom they targeted.

The game changed if the illness could somehow be fought from the inside, just a moment of hesitation on the wraiths part would give us higher ground. “Does ye think those still infected could also be somewhat themselves?” Maybe that meant my daughter would return with a semi clear mind? It was almost too risky for hope.

The horror unfolding right there between the stone, refuge walls made the staunch stallion sway giddily and the resilience of a battle-worn stomach twist with offence. Many things had fouled the fiery, bold gaze of the warrior; death, and blood spilt to stain the powdery purity of fresh soft snow, but nothing as macabre as flesh rotting and falling from its living carrier had before now, confronted him so blatantly. His fluster emanated wildly through the pinch and flare of rattling nostrils, distaste mingling with bewilderment to cloud a normally stoic expression.

The scene was quite horrendous, and the occasional fleeting glance was passed across the black and white brother to note his reaction accordingly. The creature’s vulgar stench filled the cool moisture as it hugged tightly around him, and Hector for the moment was unusually comfortable resigning to the rear of the situation- that was not to say the auburn stallion would sit idly by should things take a turn for the worst. Though silently set behind Midas’ position (to the side where he had been directed forward originally), the sinew beneath the sleek shine of an autumn-thin coat rippled feverishly.

Wings opened suddenly by half- in unison with the wraith’s own, but as the sullied monster’s span collapsed again hopelessly towards the slick wet of the rock flooring beneath, the soldier recoiled his own warning gesture rapidly. Carefully pricked ears sought then, the words which leaked between globs of wretched blood from its sunken mouth. Although death appeared to have a firm grip around the putrid animal, it was not altogether convincing. A chary rumbling made no effort to mask his feelings, stirring in the depths of a flesh-shroud chest before fracturing the tightness of guarded, thinned red lips into an unforgiving tremble- Midas stepped, but stopped again as though pulled in two by some empathetic force Hector could neither see nor feel himself. They were souls bound by battle into close knit friendship- brothers in arms, Diggers; but they were also as dissimilar as the Moon Goddess to her brothers.

As gilt chains plunge to bind the wraith; to secure him, and the safety of those dwelling obliviously in the muggy chambers below, the tawny giant’s eyes broaden with anticipation. The monster began to struggle at once, perhaps sensing the nature of what would soon be the ultimate downfall of that fetid breath swirling through helpless lungs. Hector sprang forward reactively, though the black and white King needed no assistance- that much was plainly obvious. His defence was quickly checked, the chains unyielding, except by the will of their enchanter, and the warrior slipped down the path to watch by, nearer to the flank of wall which grew parallel to that which was inscribed with all manner of history. All the while, he could not help but marvel at the brimming compassion, the careful composure of he who had brought the chaos under control single-handedly; and admire still more than ever the quality of the soul who now lowered so tenderly, filth, into the arms of salvation.

Unremitting gaze found the familiar bottomless pools of gold and softened slightly; curious too that this wraith had been so less wild than those he had previously encountered. They parted with Midas’ then to survey the submerged beast, to witness the cleansing which he too had suffered (to a much less traumatic degree), himself. "I thought he was acting- that his sickness was trying to deceive us." Hector’s hearted thundered, adrenaline still coursing like river-rapids through pulsing veins, but the danger was undoubtedly passed and the orange tri-bred shifted a few steps closer. "We can only hope…" He offered kindly, lowering soft breaths to wash warmly around the other stallion’s brave optimism. Many had been trapped already, though none with clarity (albeit perverted) like this one- he could not squash the ambitious idea altogether though.

I feel my body slowly be lowered into the water, and the swirling liquid surrounds my form. For a second it burns, like putting rubbing alcohol over an open wound. I hiss with the pain and go to remove myself from the sensation, but the chains hold me still, and soon enough the burn is gone. Instead, it's like aloe over a raw sunburn, and the cool, refreshing feeling is heavenly. I feel like I could stay in this fountain forever, now that the burn has passed and the water caresses my skin so gently. I lie there for a moment, my eyes having closed as I enjoy the sensation. I open them suddenly, and I see my surroundings anew. The wall, the fountain, Midas and Hector standing there. I sigh with relief and a small, weakened smile crosses my features. I know now what they have done for me. Midas was telling me the truth - he was not going to kill me. He wanted to heal me.

The chains release me and though I am healed, I know that I am changed. The infection is gone, but it changed something inside of me. I'm not who I one was. Carefully I stand in the pool of water and look over myself. Slowly my body is materializing back into its old form, the missing flesh being filled in with the new. My breath is no longer toxic, and though the air down in the caves is a little musty, it is fresher than anything I've breathed in ages. I look to the two brutes that are facing me, the king and the warrior.

"You.. you saved me." My voice is filled with an emotion that I didn't think I may ever feel. "I owe you both my life." And I know that there is no exaggeration. If they had not saved me, I would have been killed by wraith hunters, or by the infection itself as it took out its vengeance on a sinking ship. My body is still weak, but I step out from the pool, wet from head to toe and looking something like a drowned rat. But alive. Beggars cannot be choosers and I am certainly begging. I take a deep breath, and the air rushes through my now pure longs. Whatever enchantment the waters have.. evidence for the Gods that Africa had always talked about. Maybe she was right all along.... Africa... My heart wrenches. I want to see her again. I must find her.

Walking "Talking"

Satanic Silk
Thread Tracker
Plot Thread