the Rift

[OPEN] Keeping Halloween Alive

Slaiter Posts: 30
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: 13
Shoikan

Dark twisted fantasy turned to reality

Sickly green lights glow throughout the cavern, dimly illuminating the grave robber. He is comforted by his eerie surroundings, knowing that the thick shadows in this particular section of the cave will conceal him from the prying eyes of those who venture in for a meal. He prefers the company of his tiny hoard of bones, mostly from small rodents, carefully placed where others will not step on them. This meager bunch is nothing compared to what he'd managed to gather when he'd lurked in the Spectral Marsh, but he is proud anyway, often speaking to the tiny skulls when he is certain no one is around to hear him.

This is one such time, and tonight he has decided to tell his captive audience stores, tales of ancient, malign gods, so horrifying that words can scarcely describe them. Normally, he would be satisfied, would relish the chance to share his knowledge with his 'friends' and imagine their awed reactions. Yet, he is not. He is restless, discontent, often pausing to scan the vast chamber for signs of life. Being around others, speaking to them, has spoiled his taste for silent listeners. He doesn't even particularly want to tell stories anymore. He wants to run, to play, to simply be alive, and he wants someone else there to be alive with him. He thinks of Tangere, Abishia, Africa, and the little wolf pup he had defended from an angry midget, but he doesn't know where they are, and he has no wish to leave his glowing sanctuary. Frustration prompts him to pace, tail lashing behind him like an angry serpent, and eventually he emerges from his shadowy alcove, stepping out into the slightly brighter light where he can be seen.

His brain finally kicks in, telling him that there is water nearby as well as food, and everyone has to drink sooner or later. He heeds this thought, trotting toward the small stream, letting out a few bucks as he does. He has to meet someone there, even if it takes a while. Hopefully they'll be friendly and he can finally have someone to play with.

Kissing death and losing my breath

Slaiter

Image Credit
Permission granted to use magic and/or physical violence on Slaiter, as long as he is not killed.

Aurelia Posts: 307
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee
I wander aimlessly in the halls of this underground prison. My tail swishing softly back and forth, creating the illusion of mist behind me as I walk. The darkness of the chamber do not hide my precious, yet startling, white and gold coat. I am healthy again, and not a monster. Not a wraith. I don't feel any lust right niw, which is probably good, for there is no need to get pregnant yet.

Not quite yet.

With the right stud, the right conditions, and the right atmosphere... I am perfectly all for getting pregnant. If that's what I want, that is what I will do. There is no reason to restrict me. No reason to restrict me like these cave do this very second.

As I pass the Glowing Room, I see a figure. Quite quickly, I enter the room and halt. I nicker softly to this horse. Then, I analyze him. He is dun, but has an odd hue to him. Is he a wraith?

Let's find out!

"Hello there. I'm Aurelia." My happy tones offering a shred of hope in the awkwardly dark room. It is not like being outside, where the sun warms our backs and we can gallop around. In here, we are confined to the same rooms. At least us all being cramped in here gives me the chance to mingle around at an incredible speed. "Who are you?" I look for eye contact as I speak, hoping to get to know this horse better. Maybe we can be friends?

I could use some more friends.

ooc:; this thread looked lonely ;-; Sorry this post is so short! My replies will get longer as we keep posting!

Success isn't the result of spontaneous combustion.

Hidden Account
Shoikan

Another slips into the dimly lit cavern, offering a nicker in what he thinks is a greeting. Surely that means she's friendly, right? He turns to face the girl fully, his previous suspicions confirmed when she cheerfully addresses him and divulges her name. Aurelia sounds vaguely familiar, but he knows that he has never seen her before. He would remember if he had, for she gleams golden and white, though the green-blue light tints the colors. Had Mother ever told him about a girl made of gilt and ivory, graced with swan-like wings? He doesn't think so, but it is possible that he has forgotten.

She asks who he is and, as always, he does not answer right away. So many others have asked him that question lately, and he never knows if they really mean it, or if they simply want his name. Who he is remains a complex question, for he is many things. His name, however, is simple enough, so he offers it first, tentatively, as though afraid he has chosen the wrong answer. "Slaiter."

She is trying to make direct eye contact, so he immediately drops his gaze, shifting uncomfortably. Eye contact, to him, has always meant aggression, a challenge, and he does not want to fight this lovely angel. Ghouls are cowards, after all, and he is no different, skulking in the shadows to avoid confrontation, able to flee at a moment's notice and vanish into the eerie vegetation. Aurelia has done nothing hostile yet, but he is still wary, hooves skittering beneath him while his tail flickers uncertainly.

Slaiter

Image Credit

OOC: Thanks for replying! And don't worry about post length, just write however much you have the muse for.
Permission granted to use magic and/or physical violence on Slaiter, as long as he is not killed.

baylee
Only but a moment after I finish speaking, his voice falls upon my ears. "Slaiter." He offers as he avoids all eye contact. I find that strange, considering I am a mare that uses eye contact as a way to express emotion. Is he shy and hesitant, or rude and disrespectful? I do not know this horse, of course all he has said is his name, so I know not to judge him to harshly. "That's a nice name, Slaiter." I offer a compliment to him, to show my friendliness, maybe rid his shyness for right now (or whatever the boy was feeling.)

"I don't wanna fight you, if that is what you wonder about, Slaiter." I smile softly, my white teeth exposed to him. My angelic face molding softly into a cheerful expression. My velvet muzzle reaches out to bump against his. Will he do his part and bump my muzzle? After a moment, I retreat my head, stopping the greeting (if there even was anything. "Where do you hail from, Slait?" I give him a sort of nickname, hoping to start some conversation in any way I can.

Any way, but the violent way.

I am an overly inexperienced fighter, and it would be tragic if I was brave enough to challenge the stud, then lose miserably. Who knows, Slaiter may be the best fighter in all of Helovia, and I just don't know it. Wouldn't that be a fun twist in our current story? My train of thoughts stops, and I realize just how dark it is. "I'm going to make fire, and light this place up a bit, just don't touch me while I'm doing it, or you may get burnt." I grin again, my face showing the obvious fact that I am a bit of a mischevious girl, if you dare to get close enough to me, to become friends.

Slowly, my wing tips erupt with flame as I open them wide. Then the fire engulfs them completely. The fire travels along my spin then, almost like a liquid, drip down and ignites my whole body. I'm an angel of light, a devoted follower of the God of the Sun. I want shred light on the darkest parts of this world while the god lights every easily lit place... and he does this with an ease because he is the sun and light itself.

I am lacking in comparison.

Hidden Account
Shoikan

She seems at ease here, he notes, ears swiveling to catch her words. An approval of sorts is granted, gentle voice telling him that she likes his name. No one has ever commented on his moniker before, though he supposes that's because few bother to learn it. Still, he is both pleased and baffled by the minor compliment, eyes flicking up for a moment to search her face for any sign of how to respond. Should he thank her? He doesn't know, and he doesn't think he really deserves the praise either. After all, his mother had chosen the name, not him, and so she should get the credit. But Koona isn't here, never will be, for he knows she is long dead. So, does that mean that the name becomes something he owns now, passed down like some treasured object? Do names work that way? Maybe he should ignore the kind words, but that would be rude, wouldn't it? His brow furrows in confusion, but the mare in front of him doesn't seem to expect an answer, speaking again before he gathers enough wits to respond.

He relaxes slightly when she says she has no interest in fighting. She has been nothing but friendly to him, venturing into the darkness of his preferred cavern brandishing nothing but cheerful speech and lovely smiles. Surely no monster-hunter would do such a thing, nor would any unsatisfied warrior. Nor would anyone with cruel intentions extend their soft muzzle toward him, the way she is doing. This is familiar, something he understands, and he mirrors the gesture, gently brushing his black nose against her pale one. She pulls back afterwards, so he does too, pulling his head and neck back to their normal position. A question follows, along with a shortened of his name. She seems oriented on names, this woman, but he doesn't mind, nor does he mind answering her query. "Far away. Ryvegyr." He wonders if he should tell her more, spin stories of the superstitious herds and the wandering beasts they feared. Of his mother, the midnight witch-woman, who had only to touch an old bone to know everything that creature had ever learned while alive. Of his father, the stallion who did not realize that he was dead, and so kept roaming the land.

Maybe not.

Aurelia is preparing to do something anyway, warning him of fire. He isn't certain of how she plans to make a fire here, for their is nothing to burn except for stone and extremely damp plants. He supposes that the plants might burn, if the flame is hot enough, but how does she expect to make the blaze that hot?

His questions are answered when she unfurls her wings, the tips already ablaze. He shields away, startled by the sudden eruption of light, as well as the fact that his new friend is on fire! It doesn't seem to harm her, for she is not screaming and flailing about, but it is still an unnerving sight, even for the ghoul, who devoured stories of such things. She must be some sort of elemental spirit, like Tangere and Abishia, or maybe a high ranking angel. He wonders if their entire conversation has been a test, a way for her to determine his fate. Has he been properly polite and respectful? Slaiter thinks he has, but one can never know. She had given him a warning of what she was going to do, so maybe she is pleased with him, revealing her true form to him as a reward.

He realizes that he is staring at the mare, eyes wide, and he quickly tries to compose himself, to calm his racing heart. Oddly enough, now that the shock is wearing off, he has the craziest urge to touch the flames, to see for himself if they really burn or if they are mere illusion. Stupid, he knows, but he has never claimed to be smart, not really. Slowly, he steps nearer, ignoring the heat that pours from the fire.

Maybe he just wants to know what it feels like to be burned by elemental or holy fire, to see if it's any different, any purer than regular flames.

Slaiter

Image Credit

OOC: Sorry about the wait!

baylee
"Far away. Ryvegyr." "Rivergerie..?" I laugh softly, knowing that I just butchered the pronunciation of this name. It's a unique sound, especially on this stallion's tongue. I like the way he speaks though, and honestly I am happy to not have to worry about looking bad in front of horses that know how to steal the stage. With Slait, I don't have to worry about being outshone, for we seem to be equal. Plus, I'm pretty carefree right now. I'd say, there is hope that we can be friends in the future. "I like the way you say it." It's the truth, but now it seems I am flirting with him. Of course, I didn't realize this until after I said it. He is actually not horribly bad looking.

After I warn him and ignite, he chooses to ignore me. He reaches forwards, trying to touch the flames sprouting off of my body. My eyes widen and suddenly, all the fire on my body dies. Like a light switch that when from on to off, my fire is gone. I sigh softly, my happiness sucked out of me slightly. I do not want to hurt this stallion, not here, not now. "What are you trying to do? I don't want to burn you, Slaiter." His name is so much fun to say and it sounds thick a feminine when spoken with my young and girly voice. I back a few steps away from him, untrusting. I shift my weight around uncomfortably, squirming under his gaze.

Suddenly, my cheeks feel hotter and I think I am blushing. Of course, this action cannot be seen in the dimness of the cave. Why do I feel so vulnerable right now? I didn't feel this vulnerable with any other horses today. Only right now, with this oddly foreign stallion. Foreign, but native. He was a conflicting image in my mind, a contradiction. Could I be friends with him? He's very daring... I don't have many friends like that. Do I just have to get used to that? "Slait, do you really wanna touch fire? I imagine you'd get a horrendous burn and I don't want to hurt you." I look at the ground, trying to think of an excuse to leave. I'm not tired, but could I just say I am and leave?

Well, I guess I'll stay for another few minutes then make my leave.

ooc:; WOW SHOIKAN. WAY TO MAKE AURELIA CONFUSED! ;D <33

Hidden Account
Shoikan

He is so close to the fire, to answers, his nose mere inches away when the flames disappear. He stops, mind reeling, wondering why the blaze was gone. why he hadn't been allowed to touch, to know. She seems equally upset, question and explanation rolling from her lips in serious tones. His head tilts, ears flicking uncertainly as she retreats and fidgets, seeming uneasy. Had he caused this? He hadn't meant to make her uncomfortable, he was just curious, drawn to danger and the unknown. Perhaps he was too bold, reaching for her without asking permission, assuming that his actions would be acceptable.

Do you really wanna touch fire? He isn't sure how to respond, how to explain himself properly. The words are there, waiting in his mind and on his tongue, but the meaning will be lost the moment he speaks, thoughts and feelings translated poorly into a combination of sounds. He tries anyway. "I just want to know," and he is right, the words sound weak, do not convey the emotions, the yearning properly. She claims that the fire would have burned him, and though he doesn't much care for pain he finds himself imagining what the resulting scars would look like. Would his skin literally have melted away, leaving bone exposed to the elements? What if his entire face caught fire instead of just his muzzle? Would he look like his father if that happened, disfigured and grotesque, undead? His mother had always told him that he resembled his sire, but would this make him more like the zombie? Would his father be proud?

He almost asks Aurelia, but his mind is still lingering on her fire. Instead of inquires about melted flesh and the appearances of zombies, he utters a question about the inferno that had covered her. "Is it different?"

Slaiter

Image Credit

baylee
"I just want to know," I sigh softly. He is confusing, seemingly sweet, and maybe young? He doesn't seem very intelligent to my standards, but my standards may be very high. "Slaiter, Slaiter.... you're very different from other horses I've come across here." I pause for a moment. "Tell me what you want to know, anything! Maybe I can enrich your knowledge and make you happy." I smile at him, a sincere smile. I think I can consider this boy as my friend. He has not attacked me and that is pretty much my only test. I don't have many friends, and I'd like one. Maybe he can be my one good friend? For that to happen, he'd have to either live near me or with me, so I could find him and talk to him whenever I want. I don't know if he'd be up to joining the World's Edge, but then again.. I could be wrong. Socialization would be good for him, also. Maybe he would be able to learn how to interact and communicate better in a herds of 20 to 40 horses.

"Is it different?" I shake my head back and forth slowly before explaining to him what it exactly is. "It is quite normal, and burns. I can turn it on or off whenever I want. I'm not anything special because I have it. There are many other horses with cooler magic in my herd. Perhaps you'd like to meet my herd?" Oh yea, I'm very subtle about it, but maybe I can try to get him to join my herd. In the World's Edge, you don't have to be extremely social. The only mandatory thing is meetings, but those aren't very often. Plus, you just have to be there... you don't have to talk. "My herd is very friendly, and they won't hurt you... only mean horses do that. I assure you, I'm not mean and almost all my herd isn't either." I reach forward with my muzzle to touch it against his shoulder, almost as if saying 'I promise', or maybe I did it to comfort him and support him.

I am not sure, but something told me to do that action.

ooc:; bad post, sorry! <3

Hidden Account
Shoikan

He has asked, and now she answers, patiently explaining that her fire is not somehow better than any other, but is simply fire, burning and dangerous. The ghoul is disappointed, but he tries his best to hide it, not wanting to upset the golden angel. She seems calm enough about her gift however, saying it doesn't make her special and informing him that there are others with more impressive magic. He is confused, for how can having magic not make someone important, even if her herdmates wield it as well? Does their magic somehow make Aurelia lesser? He doesn't understand, but herd dynamics have always eluded him, the different ranks and rules messing with his head. Well, he supposes, not the existence of such things, but rather the subtle things behind them, the way members can rise and fall in importance, as though they are better than the rest just because they possess a skill the others do not. Would not the herd fall, should those 'lesser' members disappear? And how can members be demoted, as though one slip-up can suddenly erase all of their experience and skill and make them expendable?

Aurelia had encouraged him to ask questions, but he doesn't think she will understand his unusual, twisted, philosophical way of looking at things.

Her next words, however, give him slight hope. She seems to want him to meet her herd, promising that he will come to no harm, and surely at least one of them will have the answers he seeks. At the very least he will be able to observe things for himself, to watch and ponder, to learn something, even if it's not what he came for.

Maybe they'll even have some new stories for him to collect and tell to his tiny bone hoard.

So he nods hesitantly, letting a small smile spread over his inky lips. "I'd like that," he tells her, making certain that she understands. Her muzzle brushes his shoulder, and he smiles again, reaching out his own maw to lip at her mane, if she will let him.

Slaiter

Image Credit

baylee
Shoikan, I would make a thread for them in the World's Edge, but I can't because Aurelia is a Hidden Falls prisoner. If you want, we can wait that out a little and continue here for the time being? :D