the Rift

[OPEN] not a bird, not a snake

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren

I've taken myself away from the caves, away from the sanctuary, away from the musk that is the underground. I wasn't there terribly long, so I'm sure I cannot complain as much as others who were trapped there for ages. That being said, it was kind of cramping my style. I need to be able to get out and stretch my legs, even if all I do is wander. And so I've wandered and find myself... here. Whatever darkness there was.. and I've heard chatter in the caves that the darkness is receding.. whatever darkness there was, it could not have possibly touched this beautiful place. My sight is come and go, but if ever I was to see someplace beautiful it would be this. A dazzling part of the forest bathed in sunlight. I approach something I see in the distance, a structure that is tall - taller than I am - and rounded. An opening with a roof on top, and the area inside is in shadow. Whatever I am intended to call it does not immediately come to mind, but it seems.. both out of place and completely suited to the forest. Like someone built it, but forgot why they were building it here, and forgot to build anything else. At the same time, the forest seems to have reclaimed part of it, with a couple of vines growing around the structure.

I set my little nasty egg down on the forest floor and lie down next to it. We've come aways now, and out here in the open, I'm not sure if I'm more or less worried about my egg. I am its sole caretaker, and there is no one around to watch and make sure I don't fuck up. But at the same time that means there are fewer hooves to stomp on it. In the sun that passes through from above, I hope that even though the air is frigid, the sun will help warm it better than the damp caves. The chill of the caves is the sort that sinks to the bone.. but then, there were warm bodies there that helped take the edge off. I'm not sure what to think now. I lay my head down next to the egg. I'm about to close my eyes, but then I see something. The egg... it starts to shake.

"What the fuck. Eggs don't do that unless...."

My words drop off and I keep watching. I'm not hallucinating right? There's no one around to tell me if I'm seeing things. But I hope I'm not. My heart skips a beat. I nudge it gently, careful to keep the spike on my nose from penetrating the delicate shell. It shakes again, and there's a small crack as part of the shell breaks. Inside I feel like a giddy school girl. OMG BFF JILL MY EGG IS HATCHING HOLY SHIT MOTHERHOOD. No one would guess from my outward appearance, however, that I was feeling such a high. The shell breaks open more, and a piece falls to the hard, frozen forest floor. Another piece. I'm watching closely. I want to know what the fuck kind of creature I've been carrying around for so long. It's a paw.

SCREET.... A paw?

Son of a gun, it's a paw. All the possibilities for pawed creatures start running through my head. Well. Two. Canine or feline. Whatever other pawed creatures seem to fall by the wayside in my mental listing. A snout appears now.. and pushes a large chunk of shell out of the way. Half of the shell has fallen off, small pieces and larger chunks lie around the remaining half. Inside, and I see it wiggling its way out, is a little puppy. Not a puppy I would have imagined seeing back in Mother Russia, however. No.. this one definitely has something funky going on. It looks like a type of dog I used to see.. called a German Shepherd. But it's darker, almost all black. And it's eyes... those ain't normal eyes. They are green, bright green, and they GLOW. My nose, fucked up as it is, tells me its a girl. A little evil girl puppy.

I pull my head back at first. What the hell... It's neither a bird nor a snake, as Voodoo and I had hypothesized. A puppy coming from an egg. But my response isn't out of disgust or revolt. It's just... surprise. But there's a connection with this little thing that I had not been expecting, that I had not realized. This little one is mine, all mine. Though obviously not equine and not my child, she is like one to me. My companion. As it stretches out, away from the fetal position it has been in, I see that it is not just black. A marking, green and glowing like her eyes, is around her neck like a necklace, but stops just short of completion right over her spine. Her hind left leg is of the same glowing green fur, solid below the knee, then wraps up in a spiral around the limb and ends with a curl just where her belly meets her hind leg.

I don't know how long I've waited before the little creature opens her eyes and looks at me. It must have been awhile - puppies don't open their eyes that fast do they? A smile passes over my face, and the grim scarred beast that I am is softened to a loving, caring father. I press my muzzle up to the puppy's, and I feel the smallest, tiniest nudge in return.

"Damaris."

Text text text.
"Words words words."
OOC: Open, but mainly for Brit. Idk who she's posting with. (tagging @[Kaj], no need to post with him. post with anyone!) For the sake of my sanity, posting order is a lie if anyone else joins in.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

YOUR MOMENT OF TRUTH IS THE DAY THAT YOU SAY "I'M NOT SCARED"

Freedom.

It is a taste she has taken for granted this past season of solitude beneath rock, suffering without sunlight, praying for relief or release. In time, she would tell herself. Patience, she would remind herself. It had paid off, no matter how many times she'd wanted to kick and scream and charge out of the Sanctuary like a rabid dog on the hunt for a victim. She was a free bird, and even when tied down with alliances and herds, she would never be broken down and held within a cage of rock and soil. Now, she was able to smell the crisp, freezing scents of Frostfall. While it wasn't her kind of weather, especially being on the more delicate side of the stature spectrum, Aodaun was having a blast. The freezing weather was his wonderland, as an ice bear, and as cold as Lakota was she just laughed and let him go bounding off into the cold reaches of Helovia.

Where they ended up, however, wasn't something she'd ever seen before.

Aodaun reached it first, and she trailed behind him slowly, crystallized air a thick white mist around her delicate features. Orange clay beads clicked melodically in her tresses as she moved, the scar on her side aching in the cold as she eyed the structure rising from the earth before her. She'd never seen it before, or at least couldn't recall ever coming across it before. It was surprisingly old, ancient even, and almost perfectly round. So intrigued by the architecture of it, she didn't even bother to check her surroundings, at least until she heard a rather obtrusive voice echoing across the frozen ground towards her from some unknown, unseen place. "What the fuck. Eggs don't do that unless...."

Ebony aurals pricked at the sound, Aodaun snapping to attention, all traces of play disappearing as he raced back to her side. Threat or not, after Ktulu had left the scar on her side, he had been ten times more protective. It was still sore, and tended to seize up and impede her movement, and he didn't fancy it acting up during a battle if he wasn't there. Relying on Aodaun's more sensitive nose, the two wound around the strange architecture placed in the middle of the clearing, searching for the source of the cursing stranger. Lakota already was intrigued, for she knew exactly what eggs heralded. For her, Aodaun had been an abandoned cub, and the two had spent the night together in a crystal cave, waiting out a blizzard. By morning they had been blessed with a bond. But Lakota had witnessed enough hatchings to know what this poor stranger likely didn't. As a bound mare, she may at least be able to offer some advice. She'd had to hunt for Aodaun for a long time before he could feed himself, after all.

Rounding the extravagant piece of work, her violet eyes fell upon the cherry battered form of a unicorn, staring wide-eyed at an emerging pup from a glowing egg. Lakota gave an understanding smile, awaiting the name that soon fell from his lips, before gliding forward. Careful to give an appropriate amount of space for the bonded pair, she cleared her throat softly. "A beautiful name," she commented easily, intelligence flickering in vibrant violet orbs. "I'm Lakota, and this is my own bonded, Aodaun." Directly after, Aodaun gave a short, soft bark of confirmation, not wishing to frighten the newborn that lay curled on the earth outside the protective casing of its shell.

"She is likely hungry. Would you like help acquiring something? Aodaun is a fine hunter, and I certainly know the difficulties of a newborn companion," she laughed wittily, smile curving the bow of her lips into a playfully teasing ascent. Long plume flicks to curl around her ankle idly, shifting hips to watch him curiously, smiling down at the tiny newborn with a look of nostalgia. Oh, she remembered how small Aodaun had once been. It made her want to coo over her grown up baby. Aodaun huffed softly, but there was a warm flow of love that echoed back to her from his end. He understood.

I'm distracted, my attention is completely focused on the little child that I have before me. She is so precious, and she hasn't even made a peep yet. Her eyes peer up at me and blink once.. then twice. Her jaws spread in a yawn and that sickly green that I noticed before seems to line her gums. Little pokes of teeth seem to peek through the gums, but I can't be sure. Oh yuck.. that breath. But it's sickly -- just like mine. A crooked smile appears on my lips. She takes after her daddy! Though.. adopted. Hey, don't judge. I touch my muzzle to her wet little nose again. Damaris. She gives a squeaky little yip at me, as if she knew I was thinking her name. I chuckle, but the stop abruptly - and the sudden change is disturbing in its juxtaposition. Like a feral beast I growl at what has appeared before me.

A vixen and a ... well I'll be damned, it's a polar bear. I'd only heard talk of those, never seen them for myself. The way it is looking at me... well, I can't read its expression so well. I eye it, and then its... well. I can't tell why there was a polar bear standing next to a mare. Neither of them seem perturbed by it though, so perhaps I shouldn't be either. At the same time, I can't seem to turn off the growling within me, the... sudden protectiveness that has come from within. It is unexpected, mostly, and I am unprepared. In any case, I hiss at the polar bear and the vixen -- though my ears suddenly realize that she is kind. Offering help in fact. But her presence is still a threat - especially his.

"Hunt? I'm sure. Don't let your.. your... your what?" I pause. What was it she called him? "Bonded." "Whatever the bloody hell a bonded is.. don't let him touch Damaris or I'll rip you limb from limb." She's offering nothing but kindness toward me and my pup. I don't care - I'm not convinced that we're safe. I pull Damaris toward me with my muzzle and cuddle her close to my chest. Her rump leaves a trail in the snow. My lids lowered over my white eyes, my horns are pointed outward protectively.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

His awe over the little pup, Damaris, is rather cute in an odd way. Especially from the view of an intruding outsider. However he does not seem to find her, even though she is mindfully standing rather far away, any sort of kindly presence. Which is ironic considering the Poisoner is usually very, very far from kind. However when he glares at Aodaun, she snaps her teeth in a nonverbal display of warning and lets her ears fall half-mast, eyes narrowed into violet slits as she steps before her companion, shrouding him in the dark ebony of her bodice. There is no real anger in her features, it is merely a warning. A very clear one, but a warning nonetheless. But Aodaun nudges her foreleg idly, reminding her of her own protectiveness- is she not doing exactly what Rostislav is?

She contemplates stepping back until he opens his big fat mouth again. "Hold your tongue, bastard!" she barks. Shoulders hunch up, muscles flex and ears flatten until they disappear into her mane, teeth bared in the light. "You would endanger her in order to ensure her safety, fool? Limb from limb! Ha! I could kill you where you lay, and never have to move," she spits, vile and acidic. Aodaun gives a harsh bark and shoves into her with his shoulder, sending her into an awkward stumble. Snarling she turns to him, and they lock gazes in silent communication, tensely spending a few moments motionless. Whatever it is he says to her, it works, for she scoffs and turns her head to the side, scowling. Her next words are reluctant, but slow, clearly thought over.

"I understand. You want to protect her. But honestly, Aodaun hunts seals and other fatty prey. He wouldn't want a scrawny newborn anyways. You truly think I would allow my companion to harm yours? Think I would take that away, when I know the preciousness of it myself? Because as I just told you, Aodaun is my companion. His mind is mine, and my own his. So calm yourself, you're only looking the fool." She huffs and flicks her tail viciously, stinging her own legs to try and keep herself from snapping at him. It angers her, but she must remember her own past with Ao, try not to let her irritation best her. Turning, she flicks an ear in the direction opposite the rotunda, and murmurs quietly to her ice bear.

"Something small, for the little one." Aodaun gave a soft growling sound of understanding before turning and sprinting away, paws deathly silent, lime eyes gleaming as his ears tuned in to the life around him. Ready to pick a target. Back with his bonded, Lakota sighed a huff of a noise and gracefully folded her legs beneath her, laying on her belly to show she didn't intend to move any closer. "Are you done posturing now? May I speak?" Okay, that was an uncalled for jab, but she couldn't help but to make it. He'd pissed her off. "Damaris is a hellhound. A magical pup. At least, from the glow of her egg, that's what I think she is. In Helovia, the Gods have the ability to take our minds and connect them. I can hear Aodaun's thoughts, and vice versa. My emotions influence his, and his mine. He has magic, just as I do, but ours differ. Damaris is a companion. The bond should be forged soon, but be prepared, it comes with a very sudden wave of emotions and sensations you won't be used to." Why was she helping him again?

Because know what he feel, Aodaun responded, hunting through the brush for something to return to the babe. Lakota sighed, admitting defeat, and wishing she didn't know exactly what he was going through. Or else she would have dueled him the moment the idiot opened his mouth. "Now I can leave you be and let you starve her to death and let you experience the pain of ripping half your soul out, or you can let me help you." She says it seriously, eyeing him, letting him know she was far from joking. There was a short trilling scream of a ground bird, and moments later Aodaun was trotting back with a pheasant in his jowls. Lakota lifted her head from where she lay and brought him to her chest, waiting for him to lay before wrapping her neck down his side and resting upon him with ease. Aodaun flipped the bird in his jaws over towards Damaris and her bonded, Lakota sharply reminding him not to get closer. She didn't want to have to unleash her magic today.

"There, I told you he could hunt. Feed it to her, if you can. It will help forge the bond. Plus she will be hungry, I can assure." From her position in the white, soft fur of her bonded's form, she watched them. How much harm could she really be, curled up on the earth a good few lengths away from them? Aside from her magic, which he didn't need to know about unless she had to sedate him somehow.

---
Ahahaha x3 this is fun

The mare before me takes offense to my words, and after a moment of reflection I suppose she had every right to. I huff quietly, not even close to being willing to admit I might have overreacted. Realizing her distance is substantial enough, I relax a little, becoming slightly less tense. Her words are biting, calling me a fool. Perhaps I am a fool, but I'm a fool with a little baby and I love her.

OH. Didn't see that L word coming so soon.

Fierce loyalty. That's what I am to my blood - loyal to a fault. I love the little pup resting next to me, and I already know I would lay down my life to protect her.

I am focusing on how the feelings for her are already strong within me when I turn my attention back to the mare in front of me. Somehow I managed to tune out during her angriest words. What a handy little brain fart I had! She tells me that the polar bear is her companion. The bonded.. a companion. Damaris is my companion? I nuzzle her a little more with my muzzle, cuddling her. That would explain, perhaps, why her yucky little egg seemed to appear to me.. just for me. Maybe her shell was yucky, but the little thing that hatched from it is anything but. The little furrball that is my companion is adorable and lovely, even with the stinky breath. That's okay - we both have stinky breath.

The mare lies down across from me, trying to show that she means no harm, and the polar bear runs off... Aodaun was it? Hm. I suppose. There will soon be a bond between me and Damaris. I'm not sure that it isn't already forming. My heart beats stronger for the little one. Magical? Well, I suppose so. She's got little glowing marks. That seems pretty magical to me. I chuckle quietly, only so Damaris can hear me. Someday she will be able to feel my emotions, too? That makes me happy, and I smiled down at her. The mare comments that she just wants to help. And she makes a valid point.. I've never hunted for a little hellhound. I've never met a hellhound. I don't want Damaris to starve because of my ignorance. The polar bear returns and settles down with the mare, then tosses something our way.

A pheasant. For Damaris to eat, says the mare, and I should feed her. I reach forward awkwardly and grab the pheasant, pulling it toward us. Hmm.. how to feed the pup. I hold the bird down with my leg and use the spike on my nose to stab a hole in the flesh. I tug, making a bigger gash, and switch to my teeth to rip a chunk from the bird. Gently I offer it to Damaris, and the little puppy takes bite, her little teeth big enough to rip a small bite from the chunk I've offered. I see her little tail wag back and forth slowly as she eats. A smile creeps on my face and steadily grows bigger, and I look up at the mare and the polar bear who watch us from a distance.

Emotion colors my voice, unusual for me. "Thank you."

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Seeing how Rostislav gazes down at his little pup pulls so heavily on her heartstrings that the Poisoner can't help but to let her anger slowly fade. She knows the feeling, and as she flicks her eyes over to her beloved Ao she knows she's done the same. Postured and snapped and threatened to high heaven just to keep him safe from harm. He was her everything, her best side, her sweetest victory and greatest accomplishment in life. Of course she'd never been quite so harsh as Rostislav, but she supposed she could at least let it slide for right then. Let him have his moment with the darling pup. Lakota would grant him that. The bond was likely already weaving its strings around and between them, irrevocable. He likely wasn't hearing her words anyways, not that she'd ever been so long-winded before in her life. Then again, he had pissed her off pretty badly, insulting Aodaun as he had. She could take any derogatory remark slung at her, but any that mentioned her bonded warranted a duel.

Aodaun was back in quite a fashionable amount of time, then again Lakota had been teaching him all sorts of extra methods a polar bear would never have been taught. Lakota had made damned sure her baby would never go hungry without her. He flings the pheasant over, and she welcomes his emanating heat as he beds down beside her, pressing closer. The cold doesn't bother him like it does her, so he was always willing to lend a little warmth. Lakota watches in interest, head resting contentedly on Aodaun's left side, as Rostislav gouges the poor body open and begins to fumble through the process of a first feeding. It's almost endearing, and Lakota smiles at him without realizing it. Though when he looks up, sincerity shining in his eyes, it shudders and she tries to force it away.

"You're welcome. May I know your name now? And perhaps later, I can teach you how to hunt for Damaris?" She extends the invitation hesitantly, hoping she doesn't look as desperate for companionship as she feels. Even if it had to come from this guy.

@[Rostislav]

I'm focused on Damaris, the little pup sitting below me. She munches happily on the food that I've awkwardly torn up. My teeth are not made for tearing meat like hers are. Not that canines might be interesting to have, but I simply don't have them. The dark mare who has offered assistance seems to be calming down, previously displeased with my strong reaction. I never apologized for my attitude, and I am not feeling like I should apologize now. She seems to understand my sentiment, and even if she didn't... This is too new for me, too fresh. I'm like a mother bear at her den, guarding her cubs. I get the sense Damaris can take care of herself, even at a young age. But newborn? No, I don't think so. At least, I would never be willing to take the chance. Though I know now that the polar bear across from me means no harm, how was I supposed to know that from the get go?

The dark mare, Lakota.. She gives us the moment we need before speaking up again. Damaris munches happily, her little tail wagging in the snow. The genuine smile I'm wearing on my face is shining as much as it can in my white eyes. She asks my name. I cock my head, as if thinking about it, before my lips part and I offer my given name. "Rostislav." Her offer to teach me to hunt for Damaris pleases me. Of course, a part of my pride is a little hurt that I need someone to teach me to take care of my new companion. But it is better than taking too long to figure it out myself. I nod my head in acquiescence. "Yes, yes I would like that." The smile remains on my face, and I bend my neck to nudge the little furball with my muzzle. She is too adorable for words, and I feel my heart beat hard, big in my heart.

Text text text.
"Words words words."

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread