the Rift

Pestilence [Asylum/Open]

Yssraim Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Hold down your head now, just let me pass by

Snow crunches softly beneath her dainty hooves, complimenting the sound of her cloak dragging against the icy crust. It is almost eerie, easy to mistake for the faint hiss of a disturbed serpent, but she is used to the various noises produced by the cloth, and so pays it little attention. Gray pools peer at the monochromatic world, concealed by the tinted glass eyes of her stifling mask. She is a startling sight, garbed in black and ivory, bearing the accessories of plague, but that is the point. She does not wish to infect another, to see her wild magic drive them to their knees until she must either flee or watch them die. This is the way it must be, she reminds herself, trying to forget how it felt to breathe without the mask trapping her exhalations, the she used to run without a heavy cloak flapping behind her like deformed wings. Forget the sun shining upon her bare back and the feel of the wind on her face.

She knows why she must bear her unusual clothing, but that doesn't mean she can't hate the things.

A twig snaps nearby and she shields away instinctively, wary of kindly strangers. A moment passes, two, three, and no one comes. Perhaps a tree had lost part of itself to the weight of snow, she reasons, trying to calm her racing heart. Even if it was another horse, who would be dumb enough to approach her, dressed as she is, obviously cursed? No, they will avoid her, the way they should.

And if the isolation breaks her heart, well, no one will know that but her. Better a broken heart than a dead friend.

(OOC Note: Yssraim does not have her magic after passing into Helovia, but she is currently unaware of this fact, which is why she acts like she has it.)

Yssraim

Image Credit

Ghost the Cadaverous Posts: 219
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16hh :: 6 years HP: 67 | Buff: ENDURE
Fantôme :: Grey Wolf :: None imi

I feel it deep within, it's just beneath the skin
I must confess that I feel like a monster

It was too much to ask of Ghost to remain inside a dingy crowded cave, she'd much rather risk her life through the wilds, at least that way she felt what it was like to live. Some found happiness in the company of friends or family, others sought it in themselves or in serving those deemed worth serving, but Ghost made a self discovery that her own joy came hand in hand with danger. Enclosure meant safety and a cradle was boring. Perhaps this way of thinking would lead her to an early grave, but a mare like Ghost couldn't possibly grasp the fear of death and if it wasn't for the Asylum she would have ran from those cold staring walls long ago. She had not seen her two Queen's in a while, nor her master of stealth, it left the young belle to her own devices which typically consisted of roaming places she shouldn't in the darkest of shadows. Eyes flicking here and there, looking for wraiths and other demon like creatures that made her blood pump in excitement. Instead, after carefully picking her way through the wintry sky by wing, she landed in the Threshold. The front door to the land.

Minding the trees that hung over wearily, their burdens cold and white, Ghost carefully placed herself upon the earth and shook her body before folding away crimson tipped wings. The forest was silent, winter surely the quietest of seasons, no rushing wind of fall or the cheerful chirps of the wild that came in the warmer months. Winter crept in and crept out, like a chill breeze. However, an even more chilling sight had caught the eye of the hybrid mare who carefully stepped towards the strange girl.

She was clad in black and not of the fur kind, it was some strange garment spread over her bodice that hung close to her hooves that Ghost wondered if she ever fell over it. That wasn't all there was to see either, she wore a mask or at least it looked like a mask, a macabre looking thing that would send fear into the hearts of many youngsters from just one glance. Yet, the vacant and increasingly brave little sprite walked forwards towards her as she seemed to shy away, her presence had already been alerted and Ghost made sure to stop a respectable distance away. Her intentions more curious than mischievous, a stranger with such a get up was bound to turn the eye of this shadow loving spirit.

"Little girl has a pretty face." Her light as a feather voice pierced the silence and a small, strange smile appeared on her quivering lips. "Little girl has wandered into a dangerous place."

[ooc; would you like me to keep tagging you? ^^ @[Yssraim]]

Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Because if we just turn and run
Let them fire the gun

❚ Force permitted, just don't kill her :3
❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Unregistered

She freezes as the softly spoken words drift to her, a tactic more often seen in rabbit and deer than horses. Maybe, if she is still enough, the unseen speaker will lose interest, will simply walk away from the odd filly. Still, it is unnerving to have someone so close that she cannot see with the pale mask limiting her vision, and so she slowly turns her head in the direction from which the voice had come, seeking the source. It does not take long, eyes soon stopping on a dark mare, armed with both horn and wings, exotic and beautiful. She has glimpsed both unicorns and pegasi before, but never up close, and this is the first hybrid she has ever seen. Curiosity wars with sense, the part of her that is still a child longing to move close, voice questions and compliments. The older, cynical half reminds her of her curse, tells her to spit venomous words and retreat until she is alone once more.

In the end, she compromises, remaining in place, keeping her tone carefully neutral. "Who are you?" Simple question, neither prying nor hostile. She knows not to get close to the stranger, but she is so sick of running away, of being alone all the time. Surely a brief conversation can do no harm? She just has to keep further back than a normal horse, that's all. Talking to this mare won't awaken her magic. Though, she thinks with an invisible frown, it is remaining surprisingly dormant, Normally she could feel it slithering through her veins, thick and slimy, slightly caustic, singing silently of malady. Does this mystical lady have some sort of immunity? She's never met anyone with such an ability, but then again, she has never met anyone who is not a simple equine.

(OOC: Yes, please. Would you like to be tagged?)

Yssraim

Image Credit

Like a fawn catching scent of a wolf the mare was frozen and Ghost watched her carefully. Even frightened doves had claws. She remains still and the sprite read nothing from her features, a young but wise filly, a reminder of herself. Ghost had always been one to hide, there was no disappointment in being alone, but now? She was apart of a group and they had their hands on their own land, her reason for joining was simple curiosity, but her reason for staying was slightly more hazy. It troubled her slightly that she might have become reliant on these horses, something that she'd never done before. There was also the question of obligations and loyalty, was she ever really that type? Ghost didn't know, a strange different world was slowly opening up to her and she wasn't quite sure yet whether she wanted to flee or embrace it. She felt no weaker so for now she remained as the Asylum's shadow, a hoof always half way out the door.

Dragging herself back to reality, the belle regarded the equine with an unreadable gaze as the question reached her coal coloured ears whilst she ruffled her feathers. The tone was as neutral as her expression and this whole situation was becoming rather intriguing to the secretive femme. She wanted to pry so bad at what was behind that youthful gaze that gave not an inch, or was it that Ghost was really that scary? She stifled a soft chuckle and swished her tail in amusement instead "Ghost" she replied simply with her cool breeze voice as the wind picked up her forelock and entangled it more around her inky lance.

"Why are you here, little fawn?" She asked innocently, gently trying to extract information from her. Ghost was a little new to the threshold business, she knew not what to ask and instead enquired after her own curiosities.

[ooc; sorry my absence delayed this!! D: Please tag me yes! @[Yssraim]]

Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Unregistered

Ghost. The name seems to suit the unusual mare, and Yssraim wonders if horses earn their names here the way she had earned hers. The familiarity would be comforting, and it would help her learn more about the inhabitants of this land. You don't want to learn about them, her mind hisses, bombarding her with the images of sick herdmates, miserable and dying. Her mother, already listless and ill after only a few minutes in her presence. She was not meant to be around others, and certainly shouldn't hang around to get to know them.

But what if?

After all, Ghost seemed fine, and they'd been standing here for several minutes. What if everyone here was immune, somehow? It is a tempting thought.

A question is asked of her, and Yssraim finds herself at a loss for words. Why was she here? She supposes that there isn't really any specific reason for her to have come to this land, other than to avoid contact with other horses, and that reason is likely to get her sent away. Still, telling Ghost doesn't seem like such a horrible thing, and it may save countless others if they know what she does. "I ran away from my herd," she admits. "I make horses sick, if they stay near me long enough." She finds herself searching for her magic as she speaks, somewhat concerned by its' silence. Why isn't it striking out at her surroundings, seeking a victim? It has never been like this before, sleeping deep inside her bones rather than sliding against her flesh. She is glad for the reprieve, but plague has been her constant companion since birth. Where is it now?

Yssraim

Image Credit

@[Ghost]

The cold day seemed to suit this unusual meeting with its bleak touch and the mysteries it hid under the white snow that fell from an overcast sky, settling on the ground now touched in the warm glow of the sun. Ghost shuffled and ruffled her wings now and then, trying to keep her body warm in the cool air as she waited for the little fawn to discern an answer to her curious question. The filly was still a mystery shrouded in her cloak and mask, it made Ghost wonder if she was hiding something under it all or whether it was just personal preference to hide parts of her bodice and face. Maybe it was a projection of her personality, the sprite had yet to find out, but slowly she would try weed out bits of information.

Her answer was quite surprising, though Ghost wasn't sure what she was expecting, it certainly wasn't this. She made horses sick? How on earth did she do that? Poison, magic... Though they had been stood here now for a good few minutes conversing and nothing had happened to Ghost. She didn't feel ill, her heart beat as normal and her sight was perfectly normal. Maybe the filly was trying to scare her away, but it wasn't going to work. She had already intrigued Ghost far too much. "Yet, I am not sick." The dark girl quietly observed.

"Perhaps your curse or gift if you prefer, does not work here." She suggested lightly. Ghost knew some in Helovia had power, if the sprite had her own magical ability, maybe this was what she spoke of. It would be more natural here for that to be the answer. Or maybe her guess was completely wrong. Who knew, but by now another thought had struck her. "You might even fit in with the herd I come from. Many of us are what others would call 'misfits', but side by side we offer comfort and power." The Asylum now made up the Hidden Falls along with the normal folk that were either there before or came with Midas. That didn't mean that Seele's company of the strange was gone, it was still very much alive.

@[Yssraim]
Let the heat of the sun
Reignite your memory
Let them fire the gun

❚ Please tag me!
❚ Pixel by Nyte

Unregistered

The filly stills again as Ghost speaks, barely even breathing. The thought of her curse not working, being gone, has never occurred to her. She wants to believe that it's possible, clings to the idea of rejoining society, but part of her is terrified. The magic had been her constant companion throughout her entire life, hissing and whispering to her whenever she was lonely, driving away those who thought to harm her. True, she always referred to it as a curse, had wished it away every day, but it had protected her, comforted her. In a bizarre way she has almost come to consider it a friend, albeit a very dangerous, jealous one.

How was she to go on without it?

Yet, despite her wildly racing thoughts, she seems unruffled, the stricken look on her face hidden by the pale beak of her mask. It also obscures the desperate hope that appears in her eyes when the mare informs her of a herd filled with unusual specimens. The idea of belonging somewhere, anywhere, is enticing, and she will need the security and protection of a family now that plague no longer shields her from unwanted attention. But, she reminds herself, it might not be gone, and she has no desire to destroy another herd if her magic reawakens. Joining would be risky, if they would even have her. She could be nothing more than a walking bomb with an unseen timer, going off unexpectedly just as soon as she got settled.

It is still hard to resist.

After all, what-ifs go both ways, and Ghost knows more about this land than she. Maybe the magic really has disappeared, taken by some unknown force and never to return. She could have a home, friends, everything she had thus far been denied for fear of illness. Besides, she had run away once, she could easily do it again if she noticed any herd members becoming sick. She has nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

"Will you take me to them?"

Yssraim

Image Credit

@[Ghost]