the Rift

[PRIVATE] Chill of Your Heart

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

ONCE UPON A TIME I SWORE I HAD A HEART

There are happy memories here.

Aodaun bumps into her and she feels love like warm fingers playing in her head, and she laughs softly, amazed by the winter wonderland all around her. The blizzards had calmed, the ice melted, and she was lulled into a sense of security. If it had just passed over the Eastern reaches towards the West, why would it have reason to return back that way? So she allowed herself this moment of peace, watching the cold clouds of her breath, feeling the cold upon her cheeks, shivering contentedly in the frosty air. It was breathtaking. Thick blankets of pristine snow, untouched as the celebrations go on and on at the entrance of the Sanctuary. At the lands of homes they have returned to. And Lakota?

She is alone again. As it always was, surrounded by snow as the day she had first wandered into Helovia's reaches. It is a new day. A new start. And she wishes she could erase it all, smudge it until it is a blur, return to the moment she had crossed the Threshold into the life she lives now. But through all the pain, of every kind and flavor and shade she has experienced, she would never take back the decision to stay. Head tilts to gaze down at the ice bear at her side, lime orbs calmly staring back, and she knows that she has been blessed. She had suffered so much to earn that blessing, but in the end, did it matter? Days like this, the innocence of the snow that covered the wickedness of Helovia beneath its cool embrace, it reminded her that no amount of sorrow could not be overcome. After all, if the snow had the power to blanket all of Helovia, then she had the power to lift herself from any hole she could possibly fall into.

Aodaun nudges his fuzzy head into her forearm, running into the snow, spraying it up around his sides, barking and leaping around. Inviting her to play. She laughs and runs forth, kicking up the snow all around her, thick and deep and soft in ways strange to her for the wet sensation it brings. It had been seasons ago, when the two of them, newly bonded and beautifully naive, had youthfully played in these same meadows. It was nostalgic, but new memories would always bring forth joy, and together they ran and jumped and rolled together, laughing and barking and growling in a chorus of carelessness. They were finally free from the prisons of the Sanctuary, and their revelry would simply not cease.

Arah Posts: 343
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 5 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Wynter :: Royal Griffin :: Draining Clutch Frostie

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Shadows fill the corners of the world, it's scary and yet the doe feels at peace. So much had happened in the past months, the darkness that came to life nearly destroyed her belief in the lightness. Tipping a crowned head back and letting a sigh of relief escape her, Arah closed her eyes and pictured her daughters. They had become her whole world, little Asch with her tough skin and rough tongue, Arwen with her sweet smile and even sweeter words. How had the twins ended up so different? They were as individual at the sun and moon, but they loved each other. You'd have to be a fool not to see it.

The Grove had at least survived the wickedness that had threatened to overtake Helovia. Something else the white raven had to be thankful for, it was here that she met many and formed friendships with them. Here Arah felt safe and it allowed her to relax and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells around her. Softly her feet padded along the rocky ground, she glided with an elegance that only a mother could achieve. For the birth of the twins had awakened her, now the does was able to face the harder truths in life. It is too a beautiful day to ponder on such things now though, Arah puts such thoughts from her mind.

Snow dances down her back, a shiver soon joins them. They land on her body, as light as a lover's eyelashes brushing her skin. The cold wetness seeps into her warmth, and they quickly dried like tears on her cheeks. A chuckle echoes around her space, it is light and pleasant. Soon another sound reaches her pointed ears. Barking? a frown forms on the doe's gentle features, turning Arah surveys the land around her. Nothing immediately jumps out to her, so the mother moves forward. Soon laughter can also be heard, this was all the encouragement Arah needed to seek out the makers of the noise. Wondering through the trees and causing the snow to swirl up around her, no doubt she made quite the curious sight. Finally her eyes fell upon a bear playing in the snow. She is quick to realise who he is bonded too, of all the people Arah expected to meet her, The Poisoner had been the last. Clearing her throat and watching from the shadows, Arah ponded how to approach the dark beauty. In her head, she told herself to sneak away, no doubt this raven did not want to see her at the moment...but in her heart...in her heart she longed for the company of The Poisoner. Finally, as if emerging from a dream, the dark form of Aodaun bonded appeared.

Laughing and smiling, seeing this make Arah's heart much gladder. Moving out from behind the tree and looking at the dark raven from behind the doe paused. She didn't know what to say. Have you seen my daughters? wasn't exactly an appropriate way to start the conversation. Another bout of laughter from the mare finally forced Arah to speak. Her voice was shaky, unsure and it called to the one who she wanted to see after all this time.
"Lakota."

" "
539 words.

And I ain't afraid to die, I’m afraid of going to hell.

✽ Force and magic permitted. ✽
✽ No fatal or permanent damage. ✽
✽ Please only tag in opening posts. ✽

Together, they are oblivious in their play, the flurries of snow kicked up around them hiding all possible scents that could have betrayed Arah's presence. They were naive to the fact that they are being watched, and Lakota lets her guard fall into pieces around her, not fearing how others would find her or think of her as she laughed and leaped about like a filly in her first snow. But the joy in both their hearts was intoxicating, flowing over from one to the other through their bond until they could hardly contemplate stopping. Had they the energy and time, they may have never stopped. But it isn't to be, for they have responsibilities. No longer do they govern a land, for she was hardly given the chance at all in the first place, but they must contemplate where they will go. Will they follow Ktulu to the misted reaches of the Edge? Will they even submit to a homeland other than the Foothills? Their play slows with the echo of seriousness in their heads, but it is only a whisper.

Whatever they have, it is shattered into pieces as her name is called, soft and hesitant. It startles them, Lakota whirling about, muscles tensed to attack, only for her side to spasm and clench. She gave a stifled scream and sank to her knees, Aodaun already leaping to support her as the scar tissue seized up, sending ripples of pain through her body. Whining softly he nosed at her face as she breathed heavily through her nose, crystals dancing in front of her face. When the spasm passed- oh, how shameful it was, to be seen like that at all!- she lifted her crown to narrow her eyes distrustfully at the mare she had once adored. "Arah," she spoke, voice elegant and proud as she shakily bolstered herself back up to stand with head high and emotions concealed. Arah deserved nothing better in her eyes. Despite the tremble in her knees she was standing tall and strong, every inch the royalty that still ran in her blood.

"What do you want with me?" It is cold but not cruel, for Lakota knows this game like she knows the pattern of seasons, and she will not crack. Will not fail. Too many wasted loves had walked over her since she had came into Helovia. Her frame was too battered for one more pair, so she'd be damned if she'd lay down to let it happen.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

The stiffed scream that escapes the dark chops of Lakota sends Arah reeling. Was she seeing the ghosts of the past? Perhaps Arah's presence was finally forcing her to face the pain that memories often brought. Bile rose and a bitter taste formed in her mouth as the realisation hit. It would have been kinder to remain in Lakota's memories, as an object that she never achieved. Too late now, her golden eyes widened in shock as all the strength seemed to leave her precious Lakota's legs. 'No.' Arah had loved that about the dark mare, her strength, stubbornness and kindness. However Arah had also seen that darkness that threatened to over take the dark raven, it was a silent prayer that the doe sent to the heavens now. She prayed that her presence would not force the darkness into Lakota's soul again. The snow now began to gather on her frozen form, she was far too stunned, terrified and nervous to approach the fallen mare. The white raven feared that any contact would only make it worse. Heavy breaths were forced through the dark chops, while Arah hardly dared to breathe. Her golden orbs remain on the fallen form of the dark beauty though. The reaction she had received broke her heart.

The eyes that had once been so gentle and bright looked over Arah's from with distrust. As her golden gaze dropped to her hooves and began to study them intently Arah began to hate the fact that she had called Lakota's attention to herself. The sound of her own name made the doe's eyes snap back onto target. Night's mistress began to rise, holding herself proudly. In response Arah raised her own greatly crowned head. It was not pride that Arah felt for hurting the mare in front of her. It was shame and Arah believed that she deserved the blame wholeheartedly.

A tremble still shook the dark knees of Lakota, the white doe pretended not to notice. The question confused the ivory mare however. Surely she knew the answer already?! Her gaze continued to pierce Arah's own eyes, with a elegant sigh and a quiet voice Arah replied. "Everything." The shame rose, heat burning through her chest, up to her face. The doe was stubborn though and would not cave by looking away. The truth really was a beautiful and terrible thing. The queen of ice did not deserve any part of the dark raven though...no. Lakota owed her nothing, and it appeared that was all she would be getting.

"Please." Only she knew pleading would do her no good, voice breaking with the sound of tears, Arah finally crumbled. Turning away too look over the snowy grounds the doe took a moment to collect herself. All she could think was how much she hated herself for not letting Lakota slip past, Arah could not think past how she deserved to remain as nothing more than the ghost of Lakota's past.

They spilt over and froze on her checks, glistening in the light sun rays. Tears as perfect as the snow flakes that fell around them, they showed the demons that ran around her heart and head. The ghosts that haunted her personally. Swallowing all but one final plead the doe turned to look at The Poisoner, the one who was currently poisoning her heart. "Please Lakota." Her voice had no strength, only hurt feelings and concealed pain. With a shake of her crowned head, Arah looked over her past. "The question is how much are you willing to give me?" Forgiveness? Friendship? She dare not hope for more than that. Only...what if...what if.

" "
611 words.

Everything has always been so plainly laid out on Arah's face, it's hard not to see what she's feeling. Unless you were blind, there was no way you could mistake what she was feeling. So the horror, the guilt, on the pale features of her once-friend was more than enough to let the Poisoner know exactly what Arah was already thinking about her sudden collapse. Her own dark face twitched with the lack of desire to show her the true cause of it, not wanting to bare her weakness to the one who had abandoned her, who had caused her so much heartache. But she also hated the crushed look on the vixen's face. Sighing, she moved slowly as Aodaun helped her, turning until the wicked scar upon her side was plain as day to Arah. It was nearly the length of her entire body, curving from right shoulder up to flank and over the side of her spine to disappear. Still pink and white from where Apollo had healed her the best that he could, it was sickening to look at, and Lakota knew exactly how ugly she must be now. Yet another thing she had yet to work through and move past. But her regards towards herself were already staggeringly low as it was. Nothing could really make it worse; she couldn't go any farther down unless she started digging.

"There's no need to feel guilty. Ktulu attacked me as a wraith. When my muscles tighten, sometimes it spasms. The cold makes it hurt. It wasn't you." It was said in a slightly softer tone than the one she'd originally spoken in, if only because she didn't have the heart nor the energy to continue to feel so angry towards the pale fae. What would it accomplish? It wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't reverse all the horrors that had transpired since they had parted ways. It wouldn't keep her from falling in love, from getting her heart broken twelve ways to tallsun. Feeling self-conscious she shuffled back to face the doe, not wanting the hideous thing to be shown, appreciating the fact that Aodaun moved to press against her left side, shielding it with his body.

What she hadn't been expecting was Arah's answer.

Lakota didn't do well with brutal honesty. As much as Ktulu liked to say that she was, when it came to the two of them ending up together- a phase she was tentative to use considering what had transpired in the Sanctuary- she had been anything but. So her ears flopped awkwardly to the sides, head wishing to turn away but too scared to show weakness. Perhaps too proud. Her broken lyrics made her heart throb painfully in her chest, and as she looked down to stare at the snow below, Lakota took the chance to take a few deep breaths of her own. Everything? What was she to say to such a request, a silent plea for forgiveness? She'd forgiven so many others only to have the same knife stabbed in her back, an innocent look and a sheepish smile her only tokens of 'I told you so'.

Looking askance she tried to collect her thoughts, tried to see Arah and not Apollo and Ktulu, not Ithrim or Alleo or Rasta. This was Arah. She couldn't bring her ties to the table and use them to judge the snowy vixen, it was unfair to a level Lakota wasn't used to crossing. She could be a bitch on many playing fields, but that was one she tried not to waltz upon too often. It never did her any good.

Tears were like diamonds slipping off her cheeks, and Lakota wanted to smooth them away, but she didn't want the pain that would come with it. Instead, she dropped her violet gaze to stare down at the subtle shake in her legs, wishing she were stronger. Shoulders were tight and sturdy, a falsehood, but to all others a sign of solidarity. All of it a front, but one that had protected her since she was born into this wretched world. Did Arah even claim to know the Poisoner well enough to see past it? Even Ktulu was fooled by it at times. Alleo was the only one she really had left. The only one who could see through ever brick wall and concrete slab she desperately created to keep out all those who wished to find the soft parts of her heart. A princess was supposed to be cold, aloof, restrained. Distant. But she'd never been the model royalty, either.

Arah's voice was so thick with emotion that Lakota was almost sick with herself when hers came out merely sad and defeated. "I don't know what all I have to give anymore. I've had so much taken, I fear I have nothing left to offer you. Nothing but a broken princess with a sour attitude and enough problems to last the Gods two lifetimes of work." It's a pathetic attempt at a joke, more bitter than anything as it leaves her tongue, making her feel slightly ill with every word she dares to speak.

As night's mistress turned to show her wound at the startled doe, the world seemed to slow. Anger built up within her, no one had the right to injure someone so gravely. No one had the right to injure Lakota so badly. It was at least, in Arah's eyes, a good thing that she had not caused the physical collapse of Lakota...but what about the emotional one? Surely that was the doe's fault. Blinking away the shock as Lakota moved to hide her blooming scar, Arah found that she had been startled into silence and even now nothing came to mind. How could she assure the dark raven that everything would be okay...that was a lie that she had told to so many.

Arah was sick of the lies, the false pretences and the ladder called chaos. What rung did Arah currently stand on? How up up the chaos ladder was she...how much further until she reached the peak and spilled over? What would she find at the top? "I'm so sorry." Was all she could bring herself to whisper to the dark lady. The truth continued to spill from her lips. So far that was something Arah felt she had a right to be proud of. Only telling the brutal truth to Lakota. "If I could make it better, you know I would." Of course...the doe supposed she could make it better, take the pain away. Her magic sparked to life within her, it filled up her mind, body and soul with warmth. Did she dare do it though? Did she have the courage to remove the pain from Lakota's memories? It wasn't that Arah had the right to do it. It was that she had to ability. Of course it wouldn't truly be better, to remove the lessons that she had come to learn. For it would only result in her hurting later on when she made the same mistakes. The magic faded, still humming the the back of her heart, but Arah could not bring herself to use it. At least for now.

The very idea of removing herself from Lakota's memories was too painful to imagine. But if that made her happier, it might just be worth it. A watery chuckled escaped past her chops once Lakota spoke again, it was followed by a sigh. "Nothing? That's not nothing..." Even if Lakota had nothing to offer but her warmth and friendship on the cold winter nights, Arah would take it. Arah knew that she had to tell her about the girls if the dark mare before her was to ever accept her back. Delicately...carefully. "We're all broken. We've just got to find the right person to fix us." Taking a few steps closer, Arah looked at the self proclaimed broken princess. "I thought I found the one for me...perhaps he was...is...but I don't know." A sigh escaped between her lips. "But he gave me a beautiful gift...the gift of life." Her eyes snapped fiercely up to Lakota's. "I'll never regret my girls." They were a package deal. You couldn't have one without the other. Her magic sparkled again with the sudden burst of will. "Say the word and I'll do it. I'll remove myself from your memories...from your ghosts." A single tear fell, but her eyes remained steady.

" "
611 words.
I'll edit in the morning! <3

Anger is hot on Arah's caricature, and it's so odd to her that Lakota momentarily wonders what it was she did to make her so furious. But then Aodaun nudges himself gently against her scar, and understanding flourishes through her. It's a huge display, for Lakota, that Arah would be so furious with Ktulu for harming her. Face warm she kicks idly at the snow with one black hoof, a little overwhelmed with the intensity of Arah's emotions. She had mentioned Ktulu's wraith phase, hadn't she? So why was she still so upset? It touched her nonetheless, illogical as it may seem to her. It reminded her that maybe she wasn't as alone as she believed, that there were still others out there who would defend her to their dying breath. Unlikely that it would ever stop being strange to her, but at least they existed. How had she garnered so many dedicated friends? She was hardly anything special, it was simply astounding to her. Did they all have a preference for short, angry mares with a knack for poisoning others gleefully? If so, they really needed to get some help.

Delicately she shrugged, careful not to pull at her side too much. "Arah, there is nothing I would want fixed. I wouldn't be...well I wouldn't be me. Sometimes better isn't really 'better', you understand?" Her words were soft, the same defeated tone she held previously, but there was a sardonic smile on her face. Maybe it was hope, or just an acceptance that life was going to keep gleefully kicking her down into the dirt repeatedly. One way or another, it seemed she was able to accept that her own brokenness wasn't going to simply disappear. She doubted she even wanted it to. It was her little idiosyncrasy, and she hated and loved it equally. It made being honest so much easier, made her friends that much more faithful, because they knew exactly what they were getting into when they became so important to her.

"Maybe nothing is too strong of a word, but it isn't much. I don't know how strong I can be to offer you my friendship, but for now, I'm not sure what else I can offer you." A weak smile pulled at her lips, hopeful but flighty, as if ready to turn and run the moment it appeared Arah would hurt her again. Her heart caught in her throat before she could, and she gave a pathetic choking whimper as the news was placed gently upon her. So...Arah had found love. She'd...she'd had foals. Lakota felt vaguely dizzy and she clenched her eyes shut, her breathing fluttering as if wanting to cry. The tears pricking her eyes certainly seemed to fit. Why couldn't she just shut off her ears? Because Arah kept going on, and she didn't want to hear a single word, not now or ever. Lakota sharply moved her eyes away, so brief was their eye contact, and snarled. She hoped Arah got the wrong impression, thought she was angry or disgusted instead of hurt and lonely like she felt on the inside.

"Congratulations," she managed to spit out, somewhat strangled but at the very least mostly sincere. Couldn't look at her anymore. Didn't think she even wanted to if she could. Passionless, she scoffed, staring off to the side almost wistfully at the snow her and Aodaun had upturned. "Don't. There's no need. I don't want it." The Poisoner feared if she elaborated it would only hurt her worse, and she had enough on her shoulders already. Lakota refused to let Arah see her break down or falter. Few held that privilege, and with each new season their numbers dropped.

A broken friendship wasn't desired by either of them, yet there really was nothing else to offer. Arah shook her head; defeated by the mere thought of what that friendship would turn them into. They would hate each other, never being able to forgive the other. Perhaps this was not a truth the dark raven wanted to face, but Arah was done with the lies others told to keep her happy. "I think", she whispered; her voice full of tears. "That friendship will only cause us more pain." With a sigh, Arah allowed the voice of the other to wash over her.

The silence consumed Arah, her eyes remained trained on Lakota as she offered her disgusted congratulations. Bowing her head, Arah felt a dark cloud consume her while over head the clouds also gathered. They began to knit against the sky, darkening the word around the two broken souls. Her memories were also to remain, all the doe could muster was a single nod in response. No forced smiles, no last minute offerings of a broken friendship. That was not what the ivory bird wanted, she wanted everything that she couldn't have. Golden orbs rose slowly from the ground with a an empty expression. For the silver doe had nothing left to give to Lakota, no more empty offers, nothing except the warmth of her body.

Looking over Lakota for what be the last time, the doe decided it was time to take her leave. The ghosts haunted both of them, but perhaps midnight's mistress was hurting more that she could ever hope to understand. Frosting the air in front of her chops with a sigh, Arah wanted one last touch. Mayhap that would warm her broken body at night. Crowley had disappeared, Lakota no longer had any love to offer, the doe was truly alone apart from her two beautiful girls. Twins, who would have thought? Moving closer Arah made to brush her cheek along Lakota's if she allowed it.

There was nothing to be gained from this meeting. Arah was a fool, an idiot. She should have just let the broken from of Lakota pass her. A sob broke through her lips, it echoed through the trees, broken and desperate. "I'll take my leave then." Pressing her lips closed with nothing more to offer, the doe waited. Would the dark raven offer warmth during the storm that was quickly approaching? The doe already knew the answer. With a sigh she walked past Lakota's dark body, her heart breaking in two.

A few steps behind the raven she paused and turned. Keep walking, screamed her mind. Don't stop, don't speak just keep going. But her soul counciled her to speak and share the last part of her love. Searching with her eyes and speaking in a dead and decaying voice, the doe offered her last bout of comfort. "One day, you'll have happiness." Heaven and hell know you deserve it. With a nod she turned back to the direction she was about to travel in. At least her girls were waiting for her, there she would bask them in her love. Only when they fell asleep the ghosts would slip back and haunt her. "If you ever need me..." You know where to find me. She began to walk. "Mé grá duit." Whispered to the winds for their chilling breeze to carry away. Heart and soul breaking Arah looked only ahead, empty for once.

" "
576 words.

When the doe's silver crown begins to shake back and forth, Lakota's violet eyes slowly began to narrow, already anticipating the answer about to fall forth from Arah's pale lips. The tears that thickened her voice made Lakota feel awkward, eyes shifting about indecisively, both compelled to comfort her and so used to not that she was caught in a motionless stump. Instead, Lakota slowly drew her gaze back as Arah's left hers, watching the other fae stare passively at the ground before offering a submissive nod of understanding. The Poisoner was not so weak as to succumb to losing her memories, to doom herself to making the same mistakes later on in life. Surely Arah understood that, and Lakota suspected she did by the nodding of her crown. But clearly, Lakota had not said the right answer, by how Arah was not only behaving but by what she'd said moments before. Was there even a right answer? Or was Lakota stuck in a catch twenty two with this mare she had loved? They'd hurt each other, neither were blameless, but there was still a level of affection in Lakota's breast that would always be reserved for the ivory dame.

Though she admitted to having startled at the sudden movement, Lakota quieted, reaching in tandem to rub their cheeks together in a soft motion that reminded her of better, simpler days. Days they'd spent together, in fact. The silver femme withdrew, speaking ridiculous words that had Lakota's brows arching higher and higher. What the heck was she saying? And why? So stunned by the idiocy- Lakota loved her, truly, but she wouldn't hold back- of her words, the Poisoner made no motion to keep her at her side. Aodaun mentally noted the approaching storm, and Lakota whispered a tendril of gratitude in response, watching as Arah began to walk away. Finally she found her voice and she stepped forward, crossing over the tracks Arah had left in the snow when their cheeks had met, eyes rolling at the dismissive dove.

Her voice called out; sharp, an order. "Quit the dramatics, Arah. Get your ass back over here, you think I'll let you leave that easily?" She snorted, a ghost of white surrounding her nostrils, and she arched a brow at the femme. Crass, perhaps, but Lakota never denied being so. "Don't be so ridiculous. You're not getting rid of me like that, and certainly not in a storm like this. Now come." Turning, she flicked her plume idly and turned her head to look over her shoulder, waiting impatiently for Arah to heed her words before letting her head fall back to natural position. There was a sheltered coven not far, Lakota had perused these lands often enough to know precisely where, and it would keep them relatively sheltered for the next few hours of the storm.