the Rift

[PRIVATE] The Moment Of Truth In My Lies

Windwalker Posts: 133
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3hh :: 8 Buff: NOVICE
Nanna

I walk like an obsidian King through the white of the world, pushing my way through sorrow, death and despair, just to find a flicker of light. Muscles do their work under my skin as waves of hair catches the breeze and dance. I keep my neck craned, not because I have to, but because I want. I know she steals a look now and then, and I let her, as nothing makes my heart warmer than knowing I am in her sight.

Our walk is not only love and joy, for neither of those things exists between us at the moment. That is why my words have dried up and my eyes is set firmly at the horizon. I fear little, but to not be able to hear her breath or knowing if her heart is still beating, that is what would kill me. So I keep my words to myself, as if I can ruin what little faith we still share, with a single word. I am scared, my love. I am scared I am going to destroy you. Again.

I know I have gone too far and the only thing that is keeping me alive, is the goodness of her heart. Without it, I would be gone, only to surface when the sun shines to reveal my frozen body. What would you say then, my love? Would you cry and seek shelter under leather wings or would you swallow your heart, never to love again? I am sorry for all I have done to you, all the pain, all the times I spoke the truth hidden in lies. I will never hurt you again, my dappled Queen.

When I look at you, I know I only can offer promises, but they are weak of lies, almost stillborn when spoken. Would it be enought to keep you in my life or does your heart yearn for more? You know I would give you the world if I could - climb the talles moutain to fetch you a star. But here I am; flesh and blood wrapped around an aching heart.

I wonder, oh I wonder my love; will I live long enough to hear to say those three words that caused us so much harm and finally, finally be released from this prison I built out of lies.

@[Africa]

[Image: NannaTable.png]
[Image: 53837ef3a55e5]

I hate and I love. Why, you may ask?
I don’t know, but it’s happening, and I burn.
Please Tag Windwalker In Replies

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

They had parted from that grim discovery; the ruined slice of forest, now just ash and the gnarled skeletons of scorched trees. Africa’s horror had been uncontainable, the lost lore and violation, much too much for the gentle-heart to bear. Windwalker had offered what comfort he could, and for that the dappled mare had been grateful; heartened. It had been so long since the nurture of his touch, the sincerity and kindness she had all but forgotten had been gestured- and even though it was barely a scab of that which had been, she found herself treasuring it. Quietly too she found herself thinking about the small feathers he had given her to sacrifice to her Lord, the Sun God; she had indeed gifted one into the greedy, cackling flames, but the second she had tucked quickly from his sight between her own cloudy plumage. It was a trinket of who he had been; a piece of him to be cherished.

She walked by his side, comfortably close, but not so that dampened emotions might suddenly flare and feed fresh desire- their relationship was barely a seedling, and should either wish for it to grow and bloom, Africa knew it needed first to be developed and respected. She had let herself swing to the wicked hand of lust and longing on too many occasions now, and scarred had been her heart, by the damage that suck recklessness inflicted. The mild breeze heralding the shifting season swam silently through the space opened between her hot body, and his raven-black barrel. A reminder of what had been, and what could never fracture their bond again. Certainly she wished not to fall from his memory for the sake of misunderstandings and bruised egos, and the once-Oracle wanted never to let him go.

Silence seemed to hedge around them, but she was never giddied by awkwardness; nor stricken by paranoid theories that some wretched plan was fashioning wordlessly behind dark, mahogany eyes. She wanted to trust him. His gaze was fixed ahead, glazed with an expression she could only presume to know, or understand. He was as mysterious as the Hippocamps fabled to swim through the crystal blue waters of her desert home; wild and rugged, a treasure-trove of buried passion. For now, Africa had no right to delve into his conscience- no matter how desperately she wished to tend to him, and she walked as friend and companion alone as they slipped down into the overgrown meadow of swishing grass and brittle, dry thistle plants.

The mare paused at last, lifting her slim nose into the trailing northern wind.

"Wind?" she started quietly, hesitating for a moment longer as the sound of her naturally soft, sensitive tone shattered the starkness which hugged close around them. "The air, it smells…" Flared nostrils sucked deeply at the air and her lungs for once clung to purity. "I cannot smell that sourness so strongly. Can you?" Humble eyes shifted to find his swarthy expression, or any hint; a single quirk in his regal face that might betray his thoughts- relevant or not. Thick lashes batted still surprised by the revelation. They had spent little more than a day in the Threshold, she thought, and during that time darkness and the sickening taste of sulphuric acid had been ripe.

No smile jerked the wrinkled span of her mouth, although hope did flicker momentarily across the shimmer of sundrenched eyes. She was not convinced, nervously fidgeting; calling for the comfort of her bonded’s ever-watching eyes- and he was scouting tirelessly, passing them by in vastly sweeping circles from his vantage point in the sky. "We should return to the caves." It was less instruction- she bore not the confidence to delegate and demand, she pleaded more than anything with earnest apprehension because something around them was changing. Rapidly she sought the approval of the stallion, flames dancing feverishly through the strum of the wind as it continued to spill from the north upon them.

[Note: @[Windwalker]. Timeline wise, this needs to have occurred before the ‘cleansing’ of Helovia is official ;) I hope that’s alright.]

image credits
Table and Picture by Nicole <3

Hidden Account
Nanna

What does a King need to stay a King? Well, he needed land of his own. I do not have that nor do I have a castle in my name. Do I have soldiers and servants to fight and look after my every need? Not that I know of. But I do have a Queen and she is the most beautiful Queen you will ever lay your eyes upon. So I follow her, as she is the only thing I need to be a King.

As she stops, I do too and I let my eyes search the area for living things. It seems so dead, so lost in my eyes, but I know that underneath my hooves, life is stirring. When my name is called, I turn to her, ready to do anything she bids me to, before I force the cold air into my lungs. "No. I only smell snow and coldness." I breathe again, just to be sure that my lungs do not deceive me. "Something have changed.. Is the darkness gone?"

Even as I speak, I fear I will bring the plague back just by talking about it.

I do not know if she share my concern, but I do believe she does. Someone as pure and kind of heart as her, would not wish the darkness upon her worst enemy. I would, but that I will keep to myself. A few steps help me get rid of the dark thoughts, as I have my own plague to fight. I take another look around before returning my gaze to her. "Do you still feel secure in the caves?" I ask without letting my worry drip into my voice. I do not like what the earth have done to people, as I have seen them change as much as it changed me. No matter what darkness you face, it will twist you, break you and pull you down to the lowest level of sanity. And I have yet to find my way out, even with her guiding lights.

Deceased

Already she could feel the difference radiating against her combined with the heat writhing beneath glossy, smooth ebony black- still purer in hue than those grim starless nights in the bleakest winter. He seemed not to be the bumbling creature he had been during their first meeting, collapsed and forlorn, a shadow of the potential pooling behind misunderstood mahogany eyes. With cool air rushing between their bodies, ravaging the emptiness there, she felt a bitter loneliness and wanted in that moment to press herself nearer, closer. She wanted to feel comfort from his warmth, and lean against the strength that he seemed so suddenly to have adopted- he lacked that empathetic quality though that she had revelled in months before; seemed to be just the stoic flicker of companionship.

Windwalker confirmed her theory readily, with a deep breath, that something in the atmosphere had changed- that the acidic stench which seemed so incessantly to guide the wraiths had faded. Her pale gaze darted towards him as he broke the shackles binding him in place and stepped ahead, head still raised- she mused, like a soldier patrolling the edge of his home range, gloriously alert and emanating courage that she could never hope to understand. She admired him privately then, in-between the chary fidget of her nervous core and search of her shimmering eyes. He answered the plea, turning again to meet her waiting gaze, and Africa glanced downward- almost shameful that she should have made such a suggestion when the world above seemed to be healing.

Any trace of that burning insecurity, the flailing emotion that had driven like a cruel wedge between them seemed, to have vanished. The confidence left over, intrigued the dappled mare.

"The caves were never a comfort." She answered easily, shrugging a little through a small smile. "We should return to the caves." Even while death seemed to plague Helovia, the young Pegasus had felt trapped, suffocated- claustrophobic. Even though she had dwelt beneath the earth once before (when her mind had been at its sickest point), the period of darkness just now had felt like perhaps the vast open sky might feel to a fish. More than anything Africa craved the hot season, Tallsun- the blaring sun and blistering desert climate. "We should tell those sheltering still though, that perhaps the sickness is passed." For a moment her concentration lapsed and wiry whiskers adorning her velvet soft maw reached to touch him. His scent was thick and intoxicating as she drew it deeply into expanding lungs, and her eyes closed to savour the seconds should he flinch and recoil.

@[Windwalker]

image credits

Hidden Account
Nanna

Lately I've thought a lot about the word 'comfort' and what really hides behind the seven letters, but as I am only a common horse, I have yet to discover it's true meaning. That may be the reason for the strong feelings that welled up in me as Africa wanted to go back the caves. As I watched her going through a rollercoaster of emotions, I could not help but fell sorry for my dappled Queen.

"Why are you drawn back there, when it offers nothing but pain and discomfort? Do you not trust in my ability to fight for you?" Such hard questions I must ask, but to lay my heart and mind to rest, I have to know who I am in her eyes. The others could wait.

I wish I was able to take her next move as an answer to my questions, but I knew we ventured out on dangerous grounds, she and I, but for some reason, I did not care anymore. As her maw searched for me, I met her halfway with mine. It drew me back to the day in the rain, when I still had my wings and could shelter her in ways I can only dream about.

I move closer, so close that my forehead soon rests upon hers. With necks craned and warm air shared, we stand, savouring the moment that may end in a heartbeat. "I've missed you." I breath with eyes closed. "I've missed this."

@[Africa]

Deceased

While the brisk frost-laden breeze swirled down from the northern range; peaks still capped in snow, just visible beyond the spindly tips of recovering redwood pines, Africa felt a rush of summer’s humidity surge right through her core. Windwalker didn’t draw back from the intrusion of her carelessly wandering nose, perhaps he should have; it might have been better for both of their sakes, but by staying he made possible an intimacy that she had not felt- truly, since well beyond the darkness. Since Silk, she mused brazenly, sadly, before sweeping the silvery-maned suitor from her thoughts. She had no reason to believe he had returned from the bleak fate set upon him; no clue that he’d been among those healed by the god of the Earth’s bubbling fountain water.

His hot, thick breath tangled through her own, dancing rampantly between the delicate flutter of her dark nostrils- guided into the billow of hungry lungs as she sucked helplessly, intemperately, caught in a moment she had let close around them. She could feel the bone shroud in fine black where it spread between his eyes, as stiff as the marvellous limestone waves scarring the desert; her home. Her eyes lingered for a moment longer in the lustre of daylight, peeking through the film of swarthy, thick lashes to find his chocolate gaze masked tightly behind night-black covers. How quickly could the trouble of their past be healed exactly? She could not predict the flooding thoughts, the emotion- if any, engulfing his mind in those seconds; though soon enough anyway, the sleek Friesian was whispering to her a glance.

Unsettled by the pulse of energy between them and uncertain still where her own feelings lay, Africa allowed herself to descend with him into the murky, uncomfortable world where sensibility meant nothing, and riled emotion spilt with reckless regard. It was not that she was submitting the weight of his adoration- more obvious that was becoming, as time whirled by, nor toying with the frail nature of his throbbing heart. She was more reluctant than anything, to bruise was had been restored of his self-worth, for the sake of her own relentless confusion. Without agreeing, and not wanting to fuel a situation which could just as easily spiral from control, Africa’s smaller skull bobbed gingerly away so that the small, timid smile expanding across her lips would be noticed first and foremost- this time, there was neither trace of rejection, or the stark warmth of acceptance.

“Where will you go when all of this is over?” she asked coyly, trying earnestly and tenderly to guide him back into reality- or the dimension which they had been squatting in for many months. Africa knew not what would happen when the bulk body of the population began to spew from the cave harbouring them. She could only imagine the wildfire to come; to be borne out of containment, darkness and misery. Would their borders remain? Loyalties still exist? It was worry enough for the gentle-hearted mare, to quell the writhe of adrenaline-charged energy just unleashed through her body and she wondered who would remain true to their home. Quietly she watched the raven stallion for reaction, tilting her face thoughtfully before adding, "Will you come home to the Throat with me?"

image credits

Hidden Account
Nanna

It lasted a second and a lifetime, our breath mingled, my heart threatened to burst and then - it was over.

As the world slowly claim the attention of my mind, the memory of our holy union fade and becomes nothing more than a whisper. I let out a breath, as if emptying myself for air will make it easier to think. Even a gace upon my Queen makes no sense. Are you playing games with me again, dappled one?

A smile spreads across her lips, one that I do not have the power to return. Using my time wisely, I regain the regal stance before sharing my confession with the one who can destroy me to pieces. "I have not thought about what I will do after this, as so many things are unpredictable and out of my hands." One breath in, one out. "What about you? Have you found something to fill your time with?"

I wish I was the words that lay behind her teeth, sheltered by her tongue, ready to escape through velvet lips into the cold air. But I am not. I am only flesh and blood with a ticking clock over my head, counting down the days until my heart stops beating and all of this stops making sense. I do not fear death, as I have walked in it's shoes at too many occasions, made it my friend and my God.

And then it comes - the question with an impossible answer. I should have expected it's arrival, but as so many things demands my focus, I could not keep the surprise out. "Do you need me to do something for you?" It may come across as a stupid question to ask, but to me it made sense. If she still did not trust me, then why would she want me there with her, for all to see and mock?

@[Africa]

Deceased

He had offered them privacy, quite against his better judgement, wheeling overhead upon silent wings, but Silas could not quell the burning mistrust for the stallion that seemed so relentlessly; so carelessly, to pursue his beloved. Sharp shimmering lilac rarely left their location, and pupils pinned angrily as they witnessed the stallion step closer, to lean his face against Africa’s. Stiff chords through his throat began to vibrate, to growl and rebuke, but he was far from the reach of their tapering ears; perhaps even so high that his circling form might have appeared only as a dim fleck against the sickly grey mulling across the blue arc sky. He knew that she would feel his frustration- their bond allowed no chance of secrecy.

The lust luring his voice forward seemed to fade almost as suddenly as it was thrust by the reckless opportunity given; the stoic nature of a creature cold and without care returned to meet the ginger plight of her smile. That gesture slipped quickly into oblivion, chased perhaps by the words quick to fall from his black whiskered maw. She agreed, mostly. She was reminded constantly of her mortality, of the foolish will of her mind and brazen swing of her heart- none who had sheltered beneath the Heart had any true sway over the path of their life, and certainly they had rediscovered that fact quite crudely. Prayer and loyalty to the highest of powers; to the God of the Sun, was all she could do to influence the direction she was to take.

"Ay…" she sighed softly, glancing left and out across the vastly overgrown meadow as it lay before them. There was no movement to attract her attention; not even the playful waggle of a wren skipping between shrivelled thistle heads on quest for those minute, but delicious seeds within. Perhaps it would take a long time for any form of normalcy to return.

She could feel the tension simmering as vicious flashes of crimson red through her bonded’s clever mind. His discomfort both alarmed and upset her- though express that she so carefully did not. Wandering creamy eyes again found Windwalker’s face, though they did not linger- they found no warmth to burry into, no solace to hide behind. Instead she drew a breath and shrugged with a loose smile curling her mouth, gazing absently into the south. "No. Anything I might once have occupied myself doing has been too dangerous. A prison offers only so such entertainment." Africa laughed lightly, optimistically, peering with one eye to see if his expression would soften at all for the sake of her attempt to smooth tension with small talk.

Of course, the majority of her hours had been spent meditating beneath the shadow of the Wall of History; praying for the safety of the herd (in vain, she had not realised quickly that all had disbanded), her kin, and an end to the sickness.

By the question she asked next, the black stallion seemed startled- albeit subtly, and without the emotional transparency she had once been privilege to. Coaly ears stiffened quickly to receive his response, her eyes betraying the disappointment as it began to swirl prematurely through the cluttered (but not so wounded as it had been previously) mind behind. "I don’t, no… I just thought…" She paused, realising suddenly that not all allegiances were as sound and set as her own. "Well (her dappled shoulders shrugged again the pink hairless scar across the left shining vividly, and she chuckled passing her eyes across the grass ahead) , I suppose those herds really don’t exist anymore, do they." A quietly humble sadness swept through her and Africa wondered who, if any, would be returning to the desert when the cue was given.

There was a strident call from above- Silas had been descending through the flare of a bitter, pregnant wind and the one-winged mare realised with a start, that grim grey clouds had gathered as a thick quilt above. "I think it might snow." She said, gazing towards the heavens, dispelling the uncertainty about Dragon’s Throat’s future bravely, and turning in the direction that would lead them back to The Sanctuary. "I don’t plan to stay any longer in the cave; I just want to report our findings to W.A.R, that the darkness has weakened out here." Playfully she reached to bump her maw against his nose, already the frail glass fence between them had been tested, so she figured innocently the gesture would be harmless. Slowly she stepped away through the swishing tips of meadow-grass, gaze dancing back for a moment to see if he would follow.

image credits

Hidden Account
Nanna

Only the breath in my lungs keep me alive now, as my soul slowly seep through the prison of flesh, never to be found again. So I breathe - deep - embracing the coldness within which fester, taking hold of everything that was once warm. I let go, watching the humanity in me disappear in a white cloud. I am lost, my dear. Even for you.

But still, I watch her, listen to her words, savouring the innocence she radiates. When she bumps her maw against mine, I let her do that too, but I never rest in my stance. "You should go then. Release the others from the prison in the earth."

As I speak, I cast a glance towards the sky, searching for the moving target known as Silas. I know he will keep her safe and that no harm will come to her as long as she rests under his small wings. Many nights I've thought about ripping that little piece of shit to nothing, but somehow, I always remember how it would affect her. So I let him live.

My eyes and thoughts find ground again, only to find a gap between us. The one who said that love is easy, never truly loved. I have and I still do, so the pain grows, diggin itself deeper and wider into my already darkened soul. Even if I know the outcome, I march on like a blind soldier to the drums, feeling the fear in my heart and the weight of my spear.

"Go." I tell her. "I will find you again. Soon." With those words as an ending, I turn my back to her, leaving her with nothing but freedom.

I am a merciful King.

@[Africa]

Deceased

100%

His voice, though smooth and slow- a gentle purr caressing the eager anticipation of optimistic smoky-grey ears, birthed not the reasoning she had expected. There was disappointment pooling behind the quietly sombre transfer of her gaze as it sought comfort, understanding, beneath his own liquid brown irises. Is he turning me away? she wondered, confusion clouding the thought and the pale length of her complexion. …again?

She said nothing as he glanced unwaveringly upwards, and her soft, sensitive stare remained fixed upon him. So obscure had he become in recent times; so unpredictable and unfeeling she believed, that Africa felt still more a bitter wedge of detachment drive between them. The thick tendrils of sable and red to her rear licked restlessly across one lean pointed, charcoal hock, and then the other; the fire ablaze throughout, curled wickedly, hungrily, around each limb as though to singe and burn delicate skin away.

When his mahogany, gaze fell again, curtained by the sweeping mass of his ebony forelock she had stepped from him- for the sake of her snarled emotions, crushed hope and bruised faith.

Her own silken grey mane, tumbling forward between the still anticipative perk of her ears (she had misread, misunderstood- surely), shielded well the bemused furrow of her brow, though it was not quite long enough to conceal the transparency of her scrupulous gaze; not like his was able. Though hurt and lips turned down in reflection, her dimpled chin lifted with conviction- certain that this time, she had wronged him in no way. This time, he was acting quite without her influence, and Africa’s flaccid nostrils rattled loudly her incredulousness.

Before turning from her, the raven stallion told her to go; informed her with an eerie eloquence that she found unsettling, that soon he would seek her out again. Dark lashes narrowed carefully, unsure why the decision he now made, was not to accompany her; not to stroll through regions vast, like time and time again they had before. Certainly he seemed to be not one alone, but two personalities, at least; a concoction of reliability and friendship, arrogance and instability, brooding reclusiveness. It seemed his temperament could switch as quickly as Tallsun’s roiling cloud cover- something she found frighteningly beautiful, and was desperate to avoid for fear of drowning in deluge.

Windwalker left, even before scrutiny found purchase upon the slick slice of her tongue, and Africa watched him slip away into the wilderness, like a stranger; a wildfire through dried grass. She sighed jadedly and shrugged, moving away towards the south where she presumed the population of Helovia still cowered. Snow began to fall, whipped up by the biting wind- a white sheet across her way.

image credits