the Rift

[PRIVATE] Who's the fairest of them all? {Voodoo}

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
It is hauntingly quiet: just how you like it. You will not be the one to break the silence, you think, as you travel deeper into the wood. No, you stay on the deer paths; your lithe form slips past the reach of gnarled branches and leaves the brush undisturbed. It is also dark here, even for the season. Very little light is able to penetrate the thick canopy above you, much less any significant amount of snow. You like to imagine that you look like a ghost in the weak light of this dark forest, with your dove-white form a striking reverse silhouette against the black trees. Indulging your vanity, you add a smooth bounce to your traveling trot—ah, yes, you must be practically floating. It is just a shame that there is no one here to appreciate it.

With your ego purring like a self-satisfied cat, you venture further into the forest, continuing to play out your little fantasy. Oh, if you were a ghost, the things you could do! You could float, and fly, and whisper in the ears of mortals. You could eavesdrop to your heart’s content, and fill your brain with stories and secrets. You could taunt, and you could tempt, with no repercussions—you’re already dead! A soft chuckle escapes your black velvet muzzle at the thought, startling you back to reality. Your ears pin, and your trot slows to a halt as you glance around warily. These thoughts of ghosts, perhaps, are not the best for such dark woods. Not that you’re frightened, no. You should just be alert.

It is a timely decision. You notice that the trees are thinning, and soon you understand why. Nothing can grow in the shadow of the giant that towers above you. But it is not the old tree that holds your attention, it’s the sparkle. The old fir’s roots embrace the edge of a pool. It has partially frozen over, but a stray beam of light penetrates the melted surface to kiss the most gorgeous red stones at the bottom. Your eyes widen greedily, and you venture cautiously to the treeline to investigate. It is beautiful, but the pool is still--too still. You may want the prize in the basin, but for now, caution takes over. There is an aura of enchantment in this place, and you are unsure of what will happen should you approach the water.

A sudden snapping of branches draws your attention, and your head turns sharply towards the sound, teeth bared. To your chagrin, it is only a hare. Its snow-white winter coat matches your own, which irritates you. How original, you think, channeling your embarrassment into hostility towards the creature. You are tempted to burst out of the trees and chase it off—but wait! The animal is hopping lazily into the clearing. Eagerly, you watch through narrowed eyes. Perhaps the wretched thing will trigger some hidden curse, and you’ll have the pleasure of watching. Goodness, a small voice in the back of your head notes, you’re feeling unusually vicious today, aren’t you, Sheba? Never mind that. You lean forward expectantly…

…And nothing happens. The hare crosses the clearing, sips at the pool, and turns to disappear back into the brush. You fly out of the trees after it, as if you mean to chase it into the woods, but it is gone. You snort indignantly after it, tossing your horn in the general direction of its exit for good measure, but the pool has your attention once again. Gloatingly, you sashay over to the rim and peer down. Your own reflection stares back at you, and as urgently as you desire to investigate the bounty at the bottom, you take a moment to preen—you always have time for that.
How lovely your braids look today, Sheba. The only thing that would make them lovelier still would be some of these red stones woven into those milky plaits…

@[Voodoo]

Voodoo Posts: 231
Outcast atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: Eight :: Birdsong HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Ouija :: Arctic Fox :: None Nevada
Voodoo
feel.

Instantaneously your far from lively eyes search the forest frantically, but there is no Ouija to be seen. We shift around quietly on the floor of your skull, some of us sitting cross-cross, the others of us standing and leaning against ruby windows. We have decided to stay quiet for the most part, as you've let us out of that little makeshift prison for a while for being good. The need to call out for your missing companion beats against your head and your heart, but you stay silent, not wanting to endanger her if she's hidden. Both forelegs lift from the earth, a small rear breaking the barrier of a stand still; your back haunches tighten and each muscle ripples under dark hide. A lot of ground is covered in a very short amount of time before you spot a white body staring into the pond, where you come in from her right side, headed directly toward her back haunches.

Ouija feels your presence and a safety blanket drops over her, allowing her to spring from behind her dark barked tree and race off toward the direction that the hare did. The flash of white causes you to jump to the right in mid-canter, red tipped ears lacing back to your neck, heart nearly jumping out of your throat. Gnarled, chipped hooves dig into the earth and you slide to a halt, pine needles and dirt spraying trough the air. Thick coils of your long tail wrap around long back legs, empty maroon eyes shifting from where Ouija had disappeared to the white mare. When finally stopped, you prance further away from the stranger with a nervous, bouncy trot, ending at an awkward angle and swaying your ass end away from her. Nostrils quiver with each quick breath, glossed over eyes stuck on the stranger.

Tagged: @[Sheba]
Text here "Chat here." Voices here

i run but it stays right by my side
Table by Frostie
EVERYTHING YOU'RE RUNNING AWAY FROM
IS IN YOUR HEAD
[Image: 5389e9aca8b63]
Please tag him in every post!

You reach forward, charcoal nose ready to kiss your reflection and dip into the water below for the gleaming rocks, when you hear crashing in the underbrush. Your head jerks up, and you look around, tense, listening. Whatever it is, it’s big, it’s moving fast, and it’s coming up from behind you.

Your first instinct is to dash back into the trees—did you mention that this thing sounds big?—but a mixture of anger and greed stays your hooves: greed, for the sparkling stones you have discovered; anger, at yourself, for wanting to run. Run? your brain taunts. So like your mo—no, you shove that comparison back down, rage curling your lip at the thought of the trembling excuse for a mare. You are no weakling.

Before you have a chance to rethink your questionable (and self-destructive) logic, it is too late. A dark figure bursts forth from the forest, startling you into a defensive stance as it runs nearly all the way across the clearing, and skitters to a halt near the edge. In a flash, you are halfway out of the pool heading for cover…and then, something registers: the creature is silent. Odd. You keep your horn pointed at the stranger, but you dare to peep through thick lashes and around cascading forelock at the intruder. What you see nearly makes you laugh with relief. It is a boy, that is all, and a rather handsome one at that. Slowly, you raise your head, taking the time to appreciate his ebony body, crimson-dipped ears and muzzle, and magnificent horn. The red eyes, you think, are a little off-putting, but they are wide and nervous enough to put your hammering heart at ease. He is dancing in place, as if he is unsure whether to stay or go, but his gaze is locked on you. You can’t help but toss your head slightly as you straighten and shake your forelock from your eyes—after all, you can’t blame the boy for staring, you think smugly.

“Can…can I help you?” you ask, a note of incredulity in your voice. Whatever could the youth be dashing off to in such a hurry?

@[Voodoo]

Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Voodoo

A thousand words scramble together and spread apart in your head, each one of us having to dive and dodge the words as they fly by. "I'm sorry." You rumble, raspy voice still soft despite the tone that plays through both words. Your tail lifts, untangling slowly from their messy webs around back legs. Glossy eyes watch the mare cautiously, ears finally flicking forward as you examine her.: tight braids blend into her bright mane, each one seeking to connect to another as they fall down her pristine neck, brown eyes glint with some odd sort of beauty that only seems to touch the surface. "I'm looking for my companion, Ouija. She's a small white fox. Have you seen her?"

Sitting in the brush, waiting to hear her name that you had drilled into her brain, sits the fuzzy cub. She had lost the hare once it dove into a thicket of briers and refused to chase it any further, only because she could already feel how your anxiety had shot to the roof moments ago. She rises from sitting on her ass and wanders out of the brush silently, blinking those big black eyes innocently up at you and the stranger. Without a noise, she slips between your forelegs and plops down onto her hind end once more.

Your eyes catch the movement and follow the cub until she disappears under your body, then you allow them to reach back up to the mare. They are empty, as empty as they have ever been, just like.. Well, our best explaination yet has been dirty, broken windows of an abandon house. Yes, that is it. "There you are." A smile tugs the corners of your bloodied lips up, matching snout dipping down to tap the starch white ears of your bonded.

Ooc: This is shit, I'm sorry, I was super distracted this whole post. :s

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

“I’m sorry,” he murmurs, still looking uneasy to you. He proceeds to inform you that he’s looking for a companion…a small white fox, he says? No, you have seen no foxes, just ratty old hares, and you tell him so. “Are you sure it wasn’t a hare? A fat white one just ran that way,” you reply, gesturing at the bramble thicket with your head, forelock falling over your left eye.

Before he can reply, movement in the thicket catches your attention: a white shape slips out of the brush and saunters over to the nervous boy. She plops down between his legs, and you can see the relief in his reaction as he reaches down to stroke her ears. You observe, unsure quite what to make of this. On one hand, you are feeling a little irritated—both because the fox’s snowy pelt reminds you of the hare, and because the stranger is clearly paying more attention to the mongrel than to you. But on the other, you are intrigued. Is it normal to keep pets in this land? How has he kept a wild thing this tame?

You clear your throat. “If you don’t mind me asking,” you begin, inclining your head towards the fox, “How do you get her to stay so close? Isn’t she…wild?” You tilt your head curiously, wondering if there’s a trick to all of this. Has he charmed the animal in some way? If so, you’d love to learn the secret—it could come in handy some day.

@[Voodoo]

Voodoo
tear me open pour me out,
inside there's things that scream and shout

The horned mare notes that she had seen a fat hare, making it clear to you exactly why she had taken off again. Damn mutt needs to learn to stick around. She's going to give you a fucking heart attack one day we grumble below our breath, crossing our arms like pissed off six-year-olds, but you ignore us, your nose already touching her soft white fur by this time. A gruff throat-clearing allows us to watch the red-filtered view lift from the dead earth and back up to the ivory female, the smile lowering into a shy grin like a blushing middle schooler. Confused words tumble from the mare who was apparently not very happy with your unfocused attention.

"How do you keep her around? Isn't she wild?" Ouija slides down into her belly, lying her head on her big puppy paws, still staying quiet. "She's my companion." you begin, both red tipped ears scooping toward the mare, who's mane you have yet to learn. "Are you new to Helovia?" Your voice is warm and raspy as usual, nothing but curiosity filling the air. Likely we cough, also irritated that the mutt gets more attention than us. If she is from the outside worlds, it would explain her not having had seen a companion before; you hadn't either before you came here.. Even if it was a short two years that had been spent outside of the walls.

"Companions are.. Typical around here I guess. It's a weird thing to explain, and I actually don't know very much about it... I just know that as soon as I found her, I knew I was supposed to take care of her." the warmth that fills your chest as you speak of your bonded reaches her, making her tail pay the earth twice before she rolls onto her side happily, stretching out to rub her face against your ankle. "There's so much unexplainable magic here that I couldn't begin to touch on it to explain to you." And with the amount you've been talking, I really don't think she fucking cares.

Ooc: I am SOOO sorry this took so long to reply to! I thought I had like, a week ago, and when I realized I hadn't the other day I just had no muse for him! D: Don't hate me! Lol,

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

“She’s my companion,” he replies incredulously, and with that tone, his next question hardly surprises you. “Are you new to Helovia?” You nod, not sure whether you are irritated that he can tell, or delighted with the chance that he finds you foreign and exotic. “I’m Sheba,” you purr with a slight accent, aiming for the exotic angle. “And no, I’m not from around here.”

The boy continues, explaining what companions are, and you tilt your ears forward, interested. But what do these companions do? you wonder, eyeing his fox. To you, it seems like senseless work to be chasing after a pet, as this one had been when he found you. Is it really worth all the trouble? This little thing was almost as bad as having a foal at foot. At least he probably didn’t have to feed it, and it wasn’t always asking tiresome questions. But still, you muse, why take on the responsibility? Was the boy lonely?

As the creature frolics at his heels, the youngling informs you that there is magic here—and so much of it, that he can’t even begin to explain it to you. You snort. Try me. You are curious about this magic as well, but that can wait. His mention of it has reminded you of this enchanted clearing and of the treasure you seek. “It all sounds very…fascinating,” you begin, “I consider myself lucky indeed to have come across you. As you guessed, I am new here, and you have made a useful guide already, even in this short time…” You pause, unsure of what to call him. “I’m sorry, monsieur, I don’t know your name. But you have been very helpful. And—” You gesture to the pool, with the ruby rocks at the bottom, “And I was wondering, if you could assist me with something else?”

@[Voodoo]
OOC: no worries, I’ve had quite a busy week and hadn’t been able to get to any replies until last night anyway!

Voodoo
tear me open pour me out,
inside there's things that scream and shout

"I'm Sheba," her tongue rolls on the roof of her mouth, the smooth, so very different from what you're used to voice catches your hit and miss attention, ears happy to sit forward on either side of your maroon blotted face. Sheba, Rawr! we laugh as we make a pawing motion in the air, a couple of us winking and giggling still, Very sexy we add, pressuring you forward. Ouija wiggles back onto her belly, staring up at the white vixen across from the two of you. The name keeps the grin on you ruby lips, a nod affirming that you caught her name. "And no, I'm not from around here."

She listens to your droning explaination, but instead of finding it boring, she finds some sort of entertainment in it all, calling it "fascinating." Your left ear shifts from the glinting pool infront of you to the forest, listening for anything that might cause another startle or just should be noticed. Nothing. Nervous tendancys always have you on edge, no matter whether the situation where within a crowd or all alone.. All alone is often worse than big crowds, as you let us get to you when you're all by yourself. You're never alone we whisper in your skull, raking our hot, jagged nails against the white-washed wall of bone.

Sheba's foreign tongue once more catches you, a word that you don't understand slipping off of velvet lips, but the word "name" is in there, so it must just be toward you, right? Uncomfortably, you shift your weight, causing Ouija to stir and wobbl out from below your feet so she would not be stepped on, not that you could step on her if you even wanted. "I'm Voodoo. This is Ouija." your bloodied snout dips in the direction of the fuzzy white cub who is now plopped back down into a ball. The white vixen speaks again, wanting you to partake in some kind of task for her. Deep brown eyes shift to the crimson dyed waters before swinging back to you.

Jagged black hooves carry you closer to the female, but you stop a comfortable distance away from her, far enough as to where if each of you reached out, you could bumb snouts together. Whatever it is that's further enticing you to get to know this mare in a much more personal way is beyond you, but we know it as teenage horormes. It's always the grays we scoff, piling images up of every one of the mares that you have found any sexual interest in: Africa, Zima, Brisa, Aurelia and now this one! "Anything." you mutter, half out of respect and half out of desire to aid this mare.

Ooc: He's swoonin'! Lol. Poor boy.

Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD

The boy introduces himself…and of course, he has named the fox. Really, you don’t know whether to find his preoccupation with the creature amusing or pitiful. Anyhow, he tells you that he is called Voodoo. Voodoo. You repeat the name, accent emphasizing the ‘V’ playfully as it rolls off of your tongue.

He wanders closer at your gesture to the pool, and briefly you wonder if your request was a mistake. The boy had shown no interest in the gems until now, and you don’t want him getting any ideas—they are yours! Your eyes are about to narrow greedily, when he speaks, and his tone nearly makes you chuckle aloud.

“Anything.”

It is terse, uttered quickly and awkwardly, but you are no stranger to such offers. Anything, the boy said. If you are not mistaken, young Voodoo has at last come to his senses. You suspect that he has torn his gaze off of his mongrel long enough to get a good eyeful of you…all of you. Your gaze flickers briefly from his face to your own reflection in the still water, and you have to resist the urge to openly preen. Again, can’t blame the poor boy, can you?

“Delightful,” you purr, moving to stand beside him. “All right, now see…” You use the tip of your horn to probe the frigid waters—already you regret your little wading session; it feels as if there are tiny icicles coating your fetlocks. “I’d like to gather some of the rocks from this pond. They aren’t of interest to you here; but they remind me of my homeland. Where I was born, we had rocks just like these. Perhaps it is silly, but I’d like some as a trinket, to remember. However, I cannot think of a way to carry them.”

You turn to the boy, looking at him expectantly…and making sure that your muzzle’s new resting place is awfully close to his own crimson-dipped nose.

OOC: sorry for the wait! Playing up on the damsel in distress bit, haha

@[Voodoo]

[/quote]

Voodoo
and it comes to be like the soothing light
at the end of your tunnel

"Delightful-" the fuzzy word flutters from her pink and gray kissers, batting the air with invisibly butterfly wings until it circles around your head playfully and lands on the top of your bloodied mug, evaporating into a make-believe cloud of sparkles. Your ears pitch forward, the vixen closing the space between the two of you. Uncomfortably, Ouija stands up once more and stalks off toward where she had chased away the hare, her quickly developing mind realizing that she does not like whatever is is that's going on in your gooey head. Sheba explains that the favor she has is for you to a) Retrieve the rocks and b) Find a way for her to carry them.. Carry them where? How many does she want anyway?

Submissively you nod your crowned skull, empty eyes looking back for the now gone Ouija. Without finding your fuzzy, adventurous companion, you look back up at the mare, allowing your neck to lift your skull up in order to look less childish. The white vixen's explanation sinks in for a moment before you can think of different ways to carry more than a couple of blood-red rock, but you only result in one that will be simple: "You want me to carry them?" Just like the stone you and Africa found we purr, bringing up youthful pictures of a lanky colt version of yourself and the dual-winged playful version of Africa. Your heart nearly sinks at the thought of her well being.

But here before you stands a beautiful mare, accompanied with soft, foreign tones and never-ending braids of hair... Who's soft lips are nearly touching your own rough ones. Nostrils rattle anxiously, empty eyes watching the mare eagerly. We whisper dirty things and aug you on to "be a man," but you somehow avoid even bumping snouts with the mare; instead you turn your eyes away and begin to wade knee-deep in the red-reflected waters. Once standing on top of many round rocks, your jagged right forehoof digs and scoops at the shiny ovals, tossing then toward the close shore.

Water splashes around as you carelessly scoop the apparently beloved rocks from their resting places, ears tilted backward as your underbelly and legs are drenched. This takes a minute or two before the rocks that you had chosen are in shallow enough water to grab. Briskly you walk from the water, dark legs dripping cold, cold water onto the forest floor. "Are these okay?" your voice shakes with your already shivering muscles; the wind may not cut through the forest, but the chill of Frostfall is still heavy and quite present. Dull eyes fall to the rocks, two sitting on the very edge of the pond, half sticking out of the fridged pool: one is nearly a perfect circle, but flat on one side, while the later is a tapering oval that would be a perfect skipping rock.

like a freight train coming your way
Table by Frostie
IS IN YOUR HEAD