the Rift

[OPEN] [Group 1] Icky tar

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

Three of you find your way from the turtle to the beach where remnants of the darkness did indeed linger. Large, dark, tar creatures of expanding and contracting shapes bounced around, capturing small creatures like crabs and birds and swallowing them whole. They oozed and slimed all over the beach, and they had to be eradicated!

{group1} for the companion drop! First come first serve.

Azulee Posts: 62
Dragon's Throat Warrior atk: 5.0 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 hands :: 6 years :: Orangemoon HP: 65.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Valda

The azure yonder is familiar, a blanket of comfort as the lightning maiden spies the darkness below; it's a sense of security she needs, for while she is no coward, it is unnerving to see the shadows seething and writhing with a life of their own. When she had been apprehended by the sight of the verdant, aged turtle and the moonlight white egg it guarded, she had been warned of the evil that lingered, even told that it was their quest to hunt it out and destroy the taints of the wraith-giving night; and yet, she had not expected it to be so... obvious? She wasn't really quite sure what she had been anticipating. Nevertheless, the Fireslayer's grand-daughter was resolute in her belief that she could do this- even if she were to be unsuccessful in acquiring the vulnerable egg, she would be doing something wonderful for the whole of Helovia itself.

Pitch wings shift, and the slender woman begins to descend, mane drifting in the self-made breezes. It is with a healthy degree of wariness that she skims above the shapeshifting beasts to better examine them. At sight of birds and crabs alike disappearing into hungry black maws, her heart gives a squeeze of despair. It cannot be; her eyes are voltaic as she rises higher into the sapphire sky, still careful to keep an eye out below for impending attacks. The lightning maiden reminds herself she could not help the poor creatures or Helovia by being miserable and lacking in the brilliance of hope; she would need to be filled with the courage of her father, the passion of the storms painted on her bodice. Ebony lips press together in careful thought; electricity wells around the tips of her wings as her heartbeat quickens.

Azulee is resolute.
Despite the determination pounding through her blood and conviction in the depths of her young soul, she is careful to remain relaxed, keeping her breath regular and deep. Winter air stings at her eyes; it needles at her nostrils; there are daggers carved from ice piercing her lungs. It is not difficult to summon the creatures of spark- they spring into being at her whispered command, two aquiline birds, awaiting instruction and sparkling with the danger of a wildcat thunderstorm. Sparkling eyes watch them descend, their voltaic wings beating as they aim to furrow into the midst of the monsters; there is no guarantee her storm-creatures will destroy them, but what else can she do? Surely if she were to land, the shadow beasts would swallow her. It is on that note that she remembers, with a sad sort of smile, what she had told Ampere not long ago: We can't fight shadows! And yet, for the sake of the egg being her future companion, for the sake of helping Helovia, she had best try, and with a murmured prayer she watches them descend.

i've got your wild-eyed ways.

credits

hard mode—HP: 65/65

physical force and magic is permitted to be used on Azulee at any time provided it does not involve powerplay (unless specified otherwise); please contact me before attempting to kill.
please tag me!

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

I had listened closely to the turtle's words as he wove a straw nest. It was rare for me to listen to anyone now that Father was— passed. I listen to no one, not even Mother or Azarel, Mother especially. She's been driven mad, straight off the edge. It was Father's death that had broken her, and I'm sure if he was still here she'd still be sweet and innocent, but still a hardy woman. Now she was just... insane. I'm a little afraid she might go and hurt someone— or worse.

When he, the Earth Turtle, told us to go be the little caretakers of Helovia, I felt a little used, but it was for a good cause. Right?

I flew away when he dismissed us, not bothering to see if anyone else was leaving. I did not hesitate to fly above Helovia, moving swiftly, sick of being alone. I flew for hours, getting bored and beginning to practice my aerial tricks, loops, twirls, flying upside down, I tried to do it all. I swirled around, somewhat ungracefully, my head lifting higher and higher, spinning out of control. I found myself laying on my back in the sand, wings tucked close to my dark sides. Two-toned eyes are wide, bewildered as I wonder how in the name of Loorien I got here, on the ground.

Rolling over, I find myself in the Blue, a few strides from the water. A nasty, black figure lurched about the beach before me, leaving a trail of nasty, coal black slime with it. Laying back my ears, I wonder if this is what the turtle meant by... 'cleaning'. Did he want us to get rid of these things?

Looking past the one in front of me, there were a few more shuffling around, covered in sand and seaweed. I watched one of them roll over a little creature, a crab, and consume it whole. I gasp, eyes still wide. Struggling to stand, legs weak, I find my right hind leg to be covered in that gunk from one of those— things. Grunting, I find that it holds down my leg, causing irritation as I move the leg, finding it difficult to bend my leg.

I let out a heavy sigh, dark brow narrowed as I look at the nearest creature. I inhale deeply, finding the power that surges within my veins. Not the power that surrounded my hooves with every step, the red lightning that surrounded my scarlet hooves, but the electricity that resided in my soul, the one that set things ablaze. I can feel my body growing warmer as my magic begins to work, a faint red glow outlining my bodice. Focusing on the nearest black monster, I let loose the lightning. I don't care to look, because I'm already facing the next tar-demon, prepared to light them ablaze. I don't know if my previous attack hit or not, I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

I bother not to help the small creatures that have been consumed, because they may already be deceased, suffocated by the tar that seeped from these beasts. A shadow looms overhead, and I find another winged maiden flying above me, bringing with her two sparkling avian forms that spiral down to another tar beast. I release my magic, letting it flash by towards another tar monster. I don't know if it will destroy the beast or simply wound it, as long as it does something to it, I'll be okay.
"blah blah blah."

ooc: hope its ok i left this open for RE to say if her lightning hit or not :3
word count: 592

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer

Kari wasn't entirely sure what was going on, but he did want to help the nice old turtle and the egg he was protecting. Whether he would end up taking care of the unhatched something didn't really matter; he had been asked to do something and so he would do his best - after all, if he couldn't even do this, how was he supposed to save his mom?

Slightly bewildered as the group of horses scattered in all directions, the colt chanced on following two young mares that headed off towards the west. Falling helplessly behind on short legs and downy wings, he alternated between running over snow-covered plains and gliding over barren treetops whenever he could find a rock or hill tall enough to let him jump from it. His own lacking skill when it came to flying was annoying; Shadow would have frowned if she saw him tumble on and off in the hard winter winds, clicked her tongue in annoyance and disgust at the break-neck landings...

When the boy finally caught up with the fillies he was more than a little winded, and as he clambered over the crest of snowy dunes to look down on the battle below he just had to take a moment to catch his breath. Shuddering from the cold, salty breeze and the sight of the disgusting black things that oozed down on the beach, he felt a sinking feeling in the stomach as he saw the black and red girl attack with sizzling lightning that left blinding white dots dancing behind the eyelids - he didn't have a magic like that! All he could do was see the past, and there was no way he would touch one of those slimy things. No way! He was too small to beat them with his hooves, and.. and.. they were scary.

A deep staccato breath brought lips into a tremble, disappointment in himself and in the task fighting with the strong desire to run away and an even stronger urge to run down there and help the two others. Tears burned behind sooty lids as he blinked, tail coiling indecisively around a leg...

If you can't win with your body alone, use your head. There are more ways to fight than with brute strength...

The voice surfaced through layers of thought like a whisper, sounding so real with that dry, gruff tone that Kari spun around, wide eyed and jubilant to see where the black mare was standing, where she had come from, how she was doing... But as his gaze was met with only white expanses fading away into forested hills, he realized that it had been nothing but a memory. Something Shadow had said one time, on a topic quite different than the situation he was facing. Still, the words rang true and they gave him hope - and with hope came courage.

Furrowing the childish brow in deep thought, Kari finally slipped down from the dune and meandered through the snow until he felt the ground change character beneath his feet. Keeping well enough distance to the battle so that he wouldn't be dragged into it, he started scraping away the cold white layer with eager hooves, digging down deep and fast until he reached the sand and gravel. Hacking and pounding away at it until he managed to free enough of the grains, he paused and tried to think back to that time in the cave with the red girl, how the sand on the ground there had done amazing things as he moved through the dark cavern.

Gritting his teeth with intense focus he stared at the sand, willing it to move; gradually, with increasing speed as the boy began to get a hang of it the grains started to lump together, drawn and shifted by an invisible force. He guided the sand into the air and stole a glance around the area. Not too far away a black glob was chasing after a crab, a slow chase that Kari was determined to end. Sweating profusely under the strain of maintaining focus on the task, he brought the sand orb through the air and over to the little monster, sure to keep a good distance between himself and the sticky black substance. When he believed himself close enough the hybrid sucked in breath through his teeth, squinted the eyes and quickly changed the shape of the sand to several sharp, long needles - not unlike the spines of a hedgehog. Then he thrust them downwards, scattering a rain of death down upon the disgusting ooze.

He wasn't sure that it worked. Was sand going to be enough to get rid of these slime balls, or should he just have stood back and let the lightning ladies do the work? The very thought was so horrible that it gave him more energy. With a glitter of excitement to the blue eyes the colt rand back to his hole to gather more sand, determined to continue the process of taking on even more stinking darklings. It was actually kind of fun! Not to mention that he enjoyed this new trick he had discovered; this was way better than looking at past memories, way cooler!

ooc: Kari use polarized sand, forming needles that he try to stab the tar creatures with. Hope it works! :D

I see your true colors
Larry Wilbourn @ Flikr.com

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Helovian Ancient

One was still descending as the other two began to work, but unfortunately in a way that did not much affect the bulbous tar monsters. The one with fire magic shot at them, but these were very wet creatures, being on the beach and in the water. The fire only scorched their sides a little and made them angry. Tar oozes would require more ingenuity and less grandiose displays, it seemed.

The sand barely moved at the attempt to polarize, and thus tickled the oozes which snorted and rolled around on the sand, bouncing around before sliding back to eating beach life.

Interesting - what would the third do?

- used restrictions on Destry's magic would says that the item would have to be dry to catch fire
- sand is mostly made of silicone and non-metal and non-magnetic materials! Neat idea, but would require a different material.

72 hours to respond!

Kari Posts: 52
Outcast
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.0hh :: 3 years Buff: NOVICE
Wanderer
KARI
Once we were young and blessed with wings
No sacred place we did not soar

He didn't make it more than a few steps however before the creature began to move again. Rather than dissolving into a puddle of ink like he had imagined somewhere in the back of his mind, the foul entity just rolled about while making odd noises. Distracted by this the colt ground to a halt and turned back to stare at the thing, annoyed at the obvious lack of result. A quick glance in the direction of the black filly with the lightning revealed a similarly disappointing result that was at once satisfying and incredibly frustrating. Perhaps it would have been more gracious of him to not gloat at her failures; but Kari didn't feel very generous, just glad that he wasn't the only useless horse around.

Returning his attention back to the task at hand, Kari tried to think through his own idea once again. The sand here hadn't responded as well as the one back in the Pit - why he didn't know, and for now the matter would have to be saved until later. There was no time to study cause and effects of different materials versus his own grades of focus, neither would he be able to leave for the Sanctuary and return with more obedient sand in less than a week - much too long, as the Turtle probably wouldn't very long before appointing a guardian for the egg. While Kari didn't care too much about the thing itself he was easily caught up in the competitive spirit of the task - 'winning' by cleaning up this beach first somehow felt more important even though he knew in his head that it shouldn't be.

So, with sand being ruled out as a possible tool and the majority of the beach covered in snow or ice or both - making the find of any other useful object difficult and highly unlikely - the boy found himself returning to a last resort. The very thought of it was making the frown on his brow deepen, drawing wrinkles and lines around the youthful eyes that rightfully shouldn't have appeared until years into the future. Why, why did he have to have a gift that was based on touch? And why in the name of the Sun did those monsters have to be so dirty?

His entire body language expressed a heartfelt reluctance and disgust as he began heading after the blob as it bounced off, slipping and careening over the slick terrain in an attempt to catch up to it. Hoping to get close enough, Kari reached out his nose to make contact with the inky greasy tar monster. Maybe if he touched it, visions of the critters past could reveal some sort of hint, a suggestion as to what a weakness could consist of. An element it had avoided, a situation that made it flee, maybe even the origin of the disease itself - anything at all that would make up for the time and energy he was spending on this whole thing.

It never really occurred to him that by making contact, the warped darkness and disease that had created this thing might spread to him as well...

ooc: Kari tries to touch his tar monster, in hopes of getting a vision of the past that might reveal a weakness.

code by Tamme image by Ina

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com HP:42.5
Helovia Hard Mode
Permission granted at all times to use magic and violence on Kari

Destry Posts: 95
Hidden Account atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 4 years HP: 63.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Yseult :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Wakiya Dark

What had been attempted had failed, leaving only scorches on the sides of the beasts. With a heavy sigh, I race forward, frosted sand churning beneath my weight as I lunge for the beast before me, swinging around my horn, dancing feet before the tar monster. My steps are light and delicate as I parade around the beast, dark feathers crackling with red electricity as I swing my forelegs up from the ground. Sparks jump about madly, lingering on the surface of my hooves or just a few moments.

Spinning around I let my back hooves kick out towards the tar creature, sweat beading against my neck. I see the child approaching the beast, a feeling of despair twisting my gut into a knot, making me lunge forward and leave the scorched blob behind. My eyes befall the other girl of lightning, watching her for just a moment before drawing my eyes back to the pale boy with a deep feeling of fear crawling into my gut. Pushing these aside, I leave the boy to his devices and throw myself back at the monster I had turned away from.

I charge the beast, horn lowered to try and pierce its skin, maybe stab its heart (if it had one). I throw my head back up and rear, electricity crackling up my crimson hoof as I try to hit the monster with it. This much physical labor was causing me to begin to breathe heavily, lungs burning as I scream out of pure rage, all this pent up anger from Mother abandoning me, Father abandoning me, Mother and Father leaving me, Azarel happening, Father dying, Mother going insane— all of it just— spills out into my attacks. I'm sobbing as I throw my hooves towards the beast, pain and rage creating harmony within me, tears streaming from my face as I sprint towards the next creature, paying no heed to anything but the tar beast.

Do you see me now, Daddy?! I scream within my head, opening my wings and soaring above the tar beast. Are you proud of me now?! I lift myself higher, several strides above the beast, tilting down and tucking in my wings. I descend faster and faster, my tears streaming down my face as I aim myself for the tar beast below me, breathing in deeply as I come closer to it. Whether I hit it or not— I pray I do.

"blah blah blah."

ooc: hope this is ok. :3 Des kinda started using the monsters as punching bags... or massive stress balls. cx
word count: 412

SquirrelyTodd.deviantart.com | TwiWolf.deviantart.com

we all look for heaven and we put our love first
somethin' that we'd die for, it's our curse

Helovian Ancient
Even: Kari
Oddi: Destry

1d6 rolled for a total of: 6 (6)

Helovian Ancient
Dice rolled a 6 which is even, so Kari gets to move on to the next round!
Kari, please standby - a thread will be posted for you and the winners of the other two groups shortly. You will be tagged!

The little tar creatures watched as the dark, winged one attacked them head on, and they trembled on their outer, dark edges. All of a sudden, like daddy-long-legs spiders in a group, they began to jump around and vibrate, making the ground slick with ooze. irritated by her actions, they flung droplets of tar at the girl, the dark much landing on her coat and turning her slimy!

As the rest of the oozes were jumping around, Kari found one and touched it, and the memory it revealed was strange. The oozes were made of earth and dark magic, expertly combined, and only with shock and fire could it be unmade! However, Destry's attempt at scorching the side was not enough; they required an inferno. Fortunately for Kari, his discovery of the memory as enough to call a lightning storm from the sky which shot down in a massive bolt and fried every ooze!