the Rift

[OPEN] infinitudes, sheba

Adele Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

It was over. Everything said and done. Their adventure had come to a remote halt. Adele's gaze lingered on the entrance to the caves, shifting momentarily to the fire pit.
'Death is always close by Flames,' The contemptible horned leviathan had stated earlier upon this day. That mare. There were galaxies upon galaxies, planets upon planets, continents upon continents, thousands of herds, billions of horses, and she had the unfortunate luck of meeting her. It wasn't that Adele didn't like the mare, she just made her ponder infinities and life and metaphors. It was confusing. The mare was confusing. The mare was insane. The mare made her think insanely.
Adele would always be surrounded by flames, no matter what. Her mane and tail burned with faux fire every second of every day. If death followed in flames' wake, Adele was cursed with a trail of limitless death. That was an insane assumption, yes? But it could be true. But it could be a metaphor.
Why was she even wasting her time thinking about this?
Vera landed beside her bonded with a soft thud, her claws reddened as well as her tiny jaw. The reptile had been hunting no doubt. She chirped a greeting, ivory orbs eyeing the flaming pit.
'If flames seek death, I don't think we should be so near the onslaught,' Adele spoke quietly through the bond, watching the flames flicker and dance in the light.
'Your existence is my argument,' Vera huffed, a smoky breath tumbling from her nostrils. Adele was silent, closing her eyes to ponder her existence. Even she could not explain her existence, or even come up with a valid defense related to the topic.
'Stupid amnesia.'

--

@[Sheba]

blah blah blah

Sheba Posts: 114
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hh :: 13 :: Frostfall HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Minou :: Ocelot :: Sing Shady
You don’t quite know how you wound up here; it is not your usual cup of tea. A giant pit of fire? No thank you. Nevertheless, here you are, standing in what feels like the most oppressively hot of summer days despite the snow outside. Perhaps it is morbid fascination that draws you closer, or perhaps it is the voice in the back of your mind that eggs you on, mocking you for your hesitation, but either way, you are soon at the edge of the chasm. Sparks fly up from the void, and for a fleeting moment, you are mesmerized by their beauty. If only they were something you could tame, those bright little embers—they’d look marvelous in your hair.

Two seconds later, you take it all back. You almost choke on the hot air as you turn your head and stare straight into the eyes of a mare whose hair is literally on fire. Instinctively, you stumble backwards, hooves clattering on the rocky ground, eyes wide. What are you supposed to do in this sort of situation? Help her? Run? Your pride won’t let you run, but you’re not exactly all that eager to help someone who is currently being engulfed by wicked-looking flames either, so for a moment you just stand there, staring. It is then that you realize that this stranger doesn’t seem all too disturbed by the fact that she is on fire. What is going on here? Your eyes narrow, and you regard her suspiciously. Is she trying to play with your head? Since she continues to stand there, and the silence around you is characterized by a distinct lack of screaming or shrieks of agony, you decide that yes, she must be doing it just to unnerve you.

She may have seen you take a few steps back, but you won’t give her the satisfaction of mentioning her hair. You pull yourself together and walk back towards her and…what’s that next to her? Some sort of disgusting albino reptile? The creature’s presence almost makes you shrink away, but it is too late—you’ve already begun to approach her, and there is no turning back now. “Good morning,” you say, pleasantly enough, fighting to keep your eyes on her face, not her hair—you won’t let her little game impress you.

@[Adele]

Please tag Sheba in all posts!

Unregistered

Adele's eyes open slowly at the sound of hoofbeats. She flicked a redden ear towards the new creature gawking at her. She was starting to get used to others having such a reaction when they see her outlandish appearance. It wasn't as if she cared - she was gifted with odd looks and she liked them. It made her stand out from the crowd.
The stranger is elegant, horned, ivory like Vera, though this new being did not have the same snow-like appearance. That didn't stop her from being anything less than refined.
Adele stood, silent, watching the mare sort her composure. She stepped forward, eyeing Vera. The little reptile offered her a chirp of greeting, pale eyes carefully observing the horned. Their past experiences with these creatures hadn't exactly been all smiles and giggles. More like hissing and demented, methodical laughs.
“Good morning,” the mare said. She might've meant the words, but she certainly didn't sound too enthusiastic about spending the morning with Adele. Nevertheless, the red and blue mare appreciated her lack of interest in her appearance. The stranger's gaze was focused upon her face, not her flaming hair or diamond-like hooves. It made her feel somewhat normal, accepted, even. Therefor, the unicorn certainly deserved a bit of kindness.
"It is, isn't it?" Adele said with enthusiasm, a smile leaping to her lips. Her eyes danced, excited to be encountering a fresh face. "I'm Adele, and that's my dragon - my bonded, Vera," the mare said with as much vigor behind the words as the last sentence as Vera chirped cheerfully at the sound of her name.
"What's your name? Where are you from?" Adele questioned with intense sincerity. A new person meant new things to learn about said person. Why pass up such an opportunity? Especially when the new person wasn't treating her like an alien.

--

@[Sheba]

blah blah blah

“It is, isn’t it?” the mare replies brightly, and you have to make a conscious effort not to show surprise. Well, isn’t someone a chipper cherry? You were polite enough, but you don’t usually solicit this sort of enthusiasm from strangers. Usually, you get shifty eyes, nervous looks, or various brands of small talk. Since arriving in this land, you have yet to encounter someone in such high spirits.

The girl introduces herself as Adele, then identifies the scaly thing as Vera, her “bonded.” You think back to the young boy and his tame fox, and you wonder if this is a similar sort of arrangement. What a strange place this is, where horses keep pets. Still, you think, perhaps the things are useful in their own way. Maybe this glorified lizard kept people from attacking the mare—though you are sure her fiery hair also does the trick quite well.

“It’s nice to meet you,” you reply civilly. Perhaps your enthusiasm doesn’t quite match her own, but you relax slightly at her friendly greeting. With the sort of defense mechanisms this girl has lined up, you doubt that she means you much harm. Her burning locks and her scaly reptile creature (that keeps making noises and showing you its teeth), give her leeway to be as carefree as can be, at least in your opinion. You remain cautious, but for now, she is no threat to you.

“You can call me Sheba,” you continue, in response to her questions. “I am new to this part of the world, but I have travelled a great many other places. As to where I’m from, I suppose you can say neither here, nor there. In fact, I myself have nearly forgotten it; I left it in my youth to seek my fortune elsewhere.” You chuckle softly. “And seek fortunes I did, mine and many others’.” You lower your voice conspiratorially. “You see, my dear, I once dabbled in fortune-telling.”

You laugh again, voice a bell-like tinkle. “But that was long ago. Where are you from, sweet? I’m sure you have a story.”

@[Adele]

Unregistered

Adele wasn't always comfortable around the horned and winged, that was true. She preferred equines as herself, for she knew they didn't have the same upper hand on her as the other species. But then she remembered her little Biru, who bore a horn. The equine blood coursed within him as much as the unicorn blood did, and she still loved him all the same. It was only right she showed as much kindness to the other species as she did her own, for Biru's sake.
The mare made a mental note to track down her son, if he was even alive, for at the time of his birth she was incapable of being a mother. Now, she wasn't sure. Perhaps one day. But to find out what happened to her little Biru would be enough for now.
“It’s nice to meet you,” the ivory unicorn said, pulling Adele from her thoughts about Biru. "And you," Adele replied with a smile, noticing the mare's lack of similar enthusiasm. It didn't bother Adele one bit to be treated as normal. She liked it and wished for it to stay this way with every horse she encountered.
“You can call me Sheba,” a nice name, “I am new to this part of the world, but I have travelled a great many other places. As to where I’m from, I suppose you can say neither here, nor there. In fact, I myself have nearly forgotten it; I left it in my youth to seek my fortune elsewhere.” Intriguing, a nice answer to her question which relieved and enthralled Adele, her eyes growing wide with curiosity. “And seek fortunes I did, mine and many others’. You see, my dear, I once dabbled in fortune-telling.” How old was this mare? Whatever, it didn't matter all that much. She spoke with an almost clandestine tone, which fascinated Adele even further, although she held her tongue, feeling as if it wasn't really her place to be commenting on this mare's past affairs.
“But that was long ago. Where are you from, sweet? I’m sure you have a story.” Oh no. No. No. No. Adele didn't know most of what had happened in her life, how was she supposed to explain it?
'Tell her what you can, what you remember,' Vera encouraged, sensing the hesitation welling within her bonded. Adele shot a grateful look at the reptile before turning her gaze back to Sheba.
"I lived in a land called Isilme for my childhood, where I received Vera, and got my appearance altered by mysterious space-goop or something," Adele began, her smile and voice turning sheepish. "The undead took over that region, so we fled here where I got into an accident with a bit of ice, causing me to lose most of my memory. I have managed to come across a number of individuals who helped me remember who I was, though," Adele said a bit more cheerily.
"Perhaps you know my brother, Tyradon?"

--

@[Sheba]

blah blah blah

The mare shares willingly enough, you think, and you tilt your ears forward as she speaks, signaling to her that she has your full attention. You learn that she was born in another land, like you. You’ve never heard of Isilme, though. And star-goop? You smile inadvertently. Yes, child, perhaps that’s what your mother told you. Star-goop, your horn. More like a curse or a mysterious daddy, you think to yourself. But, if that’s the story, star-goop it is. You nod along, growing slightly uncomfortable at her mention of the undead—she says it so casually, yet you are reminded of Confutatis’ warnings of things that creep and lurk in this land. You are dwelling on the disturbing thought when something important catches your ear: the girl confesses that she has lost most of her memory. You tilt your head in the most sympathetic manner you know how. Poor thing, can’t remember where she’s been or who she’s met…though she seems to remember her childhood well enough. You wonder how far back this memory fault goes.

She is cheery though, and briefly you wonder what it must be like, to forget. Perhaps, you muse cynically, her amnesia is precisely why she is so happy—as they say, ignorance is bliss. All the times anyone has hurt her, wiped clean from her mind…but, no, you conclude firmly, it is better to remember. Without memory, there can be no true peace of mind. No safety lies in being unable to recognize your enemies, and no revenge can truly be sweet without rage properly nourished.

In response to her question regarding her brother, you shake your head no. “I haven’t had the pleasure,” you tell her, not recognizing the name. “Though I cannot claim that I remember everyone I have met in my trav—oh, how insensitive of me!” The tinkling laughter bubbles up once more in your throat. ”While we are on the subject though, tell me dear, about this memory of yours. What’s the last thing you can remember?”

@[Adele]

Unregistered

Adele was grateful that she held the mare's attention, she hated to seem boring. It was an odd thing to even consider, her being boring. The mare with a coat of blue and red, flames for hair, diamonds for hooves, but she wanted to live up to her appearance. She wished to be as colorful in speech as her coat was, as wild as her mane, and as polished as her hooves. It was quite a lot of expectations for herself, but it was what she aspired to be.
The mare nodded along, hanging on to Adele's every word. It became clear to Adele that she could've said anything to the apparent stranger before her and the horned mare would not have questioned her. It seemed some asked more questions than others.
“I haven’t had the pleasure,” Sheba said, Adele giving her a quick nod and smile. She had been curious about how much Tyradon got around with the other species, it was clear that it wasn't often. He called them filth. If only poor Sheba knew. Adele, at least, didn't think they were total filth at all.
Though I cannot claim that I remember everyone I have met in my trav—oh, how insensitive of me!”
Adele's interest peaked, tilting her head ever-so-slightly as the mare cut herself off. She didn't seem insensitive to her.
”While we are on the subject though, tell me dear, about this memory of yours. What’s the last thing you can remember?”
Oh, well, that was a different story, wasn't it? Her memory was quite a tale to discuss upon. It should've been an easy question, but it wasn't. Adele thought for a moment, turning her head to cast her gaze at the ground in thought.
"Before the accident, the last thing I can remember is receiving Vera. She was an egg then, stuck in a tree. Something, someone - I can't remember who, so many others showed up - and knocked her egg down. I built something - I can't remember what - and it caught her. She was mine," Adele smiled a bit, reminiscing on the pleasant memory as Vera rubbed her head against her bonded's canon bone. It wasn't terribly often that the reptile showed affection, but Adele could get used to such a change.
"Afterwards, I remember just about everything up to this point. My memory at the moment isn't awful at all, I just can't remember what happened before the accident," Adele stated drearily, shifting her gaze back to Sheba.
Sometimes, the truth was a real pain in the ass regarding emotions.

--

@[Sheba]

blah blah blah