the Rift

[OPEN] Leave a Light On

Ruske Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The road from the forest to the World’s Edge stretched long. I recalled only a little of it: endless walking, agonizingly slow. My lungs ached and rattled with every breath. The illness in them threatened to drown me – and so soon after I wished it gone. Had I been more circumspect, I might have strode ahead in good health, but it was too late for regret. Every inch of tissue in my skull was devoted merely to moving: ever forward. Evangeline’s russet shape led for a time, dark under the moon and fire with dawn. But I could not pace her, even at her slowest; my limbs grew weak as a newborn’s, and shuddering with effort I was forced to lean on her, at last. An inglorious homecoming, at its best. The arrival slipped from my thoughts even as it happened; my eyes dwelled on the ground, where grass rustled and snagged at my toes. Can I rest now?

We slipped once more under the cover of trees, though I barely registered the darkness – abrupt under the eye of a burning sun. Winter still clung to my hide, despite the day; I felt it all the way to the depths of my bones. And somewhere, guiltily, I knew I must be dying – too early, or too late. My limbs would go no farther; my sides expanded rapidly and deflated too fast, rapid shallow breath a quiet gurgling in my chest. At last, Evangeline was not enough to bear the burden of my weight; even leaning against her, I could no longer move. I stopped, at last, somewhere beneath the trees.

It would be suicide to lie down; I had known too many who went down in their final moments, quietly giving up. But exhaustion made the choice alone; I resolved to rise again even as my limbs folded. Grunting, I collapsed against the earth, only distantly mindful of the mare somewhere above. ”Rest… a moment…” My voice rasped out, faintly, from somewhere in my diseased chest. Yes, it would only be a moment – to catch my breath. My heavy head slipped down to rest on my forelegs, mud grating under the bones of my chin. It was much better, on the ground. I breathed a little sigh.

”Hope your healers…” I muttered. The rest of the sentiment lay forgotten somewhere in the back of my mind. When had I last slept? It was before the forest, before Evangeline, and Rostislav… sometime. My eyelids flickered, but with some resolve, I forced my eyes up to Evangeline. I should remain awake, at least. Instinct borne of knowledge insisted… So I watched her, unable to force my mind into recording anything about the forest, for the moment – all of it slipped out as it came. Evangeline alone remained a comfortably familiar sight. She would do.

[ Evangeline first please, then some kind of healer? ]

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali
Evangeline walked slowly, mindful or Ruske's weakened state because of the illness that he had contracted, but it seemed that even her slowest steps were too much for the stallion. He leaned against her and she bolstered his weight, looking up at Tallis who floated overhead. As she began to realize just how sick Ruske was she began to grow worried and that worry soon rooted itself in the back of her mind and gave way to fear that he would die. She had seen enough death in her life to know that it was unavoidable, but she'd never had to deal with the death of anyone she cared for. Everyone she cared for simply disappeared so she was left without the closure that death brought. Disappearing meant they could come back, but death final.

Roots snagged his hooves as they walked and when he stumbled Evangeline stopped to allow him to regain his footing before continuing on. When he needed to stop she stopped to allow him the rest he needed, but she didn't stop long enough for him to have the option to lay down. When they finally crossed into the Edge's lands she breathed a sigh of relief and looked up to the dragon again. "Go find Resplendence." She told the dragon. He hesitated, unwilling to leave Evangeline alone with a stallion that she hadn't seen in years. "Go." The sternness in her voice made the dragon snort but he followed her instruction and she watched him until his orange body disappeared from sight.

"Don't ..." Even as she prepared herself to tell Ruske not to lie down his legs folded and he went down. Panic made her heart flutter uncomfortably and she looked back in the direction that Tallis had flown, praying that he would bring Resplendence or anyone who could heal quickly. "You know better." The autumn mare chided gently as she allowed herself to lay down beside Ruske. She reached over to nuzzle his ears as his head rested on his legs. "Where did you go?" She asked in an effort to keep him awake.

"."

@[Resplendence]
@[Alysanne]
ooc:// just tagged you guys because i don't know who else is a healer <3

autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
The newly crowned queen was enjoying her day, wandering the borders with her head held high, smile on her face, sun shining down on her. Even the cold and the snow could not keep her down. The painted queen was torn- stay in the Edge and be with her people or go to the Threshold to find new life. But today she decided she just wanted to be home, to feel the wind between the trees, to relearn the lay of the land that had been wasted by the darkness and the wraiths. Perhaps the only good thing that had come of the darkness was the general disarray of the wall.

Unfortunately, today was not to be the joyous day that she anticipated. She came upon the pair in the woods, the stallion on the ground and Eva beside him, and even the simple Queen knew that something wasn't write. Resplendence had taught her enough for her to know when illness was tolerable and when it was life threatening. What she saw here was certainly not good. Unfortunately, any of the lessons Resplendence had attempted to teach her about herbs had sorely failed to stick in.

“RESPLENDENCE,” she cried out suddenly, unaware that Eva had already sent her dragon on a mission to find the fallen angel. And then she trotted over to Eva, halting before her, concern evident on her face. “Eva, what can I do?” With pleading eyes, the woman who was supposed to be in charge looked with earnest to her philosopher. “Sir,” she offered then to the man on the ground, her demeanor nervous. She never did know what to do in an emergency.

OOC| Sorry, was trying to wait for Res but I'll be going on absent for a short time soon, so I wanted to get this up.
Kahlua
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
come and watch over me like the pale moonlight

You see - the mare had only been trying to walk these lands for maybe a day. She wanted to see the damage that had befallen these lands. And, to her dismay, the first place she went was nearly eradicated. Few herbs were still standing, and destroyed roots were strewn across the place right around what had been her garden. So, for the moment the mare was attempted to clean it up.

Valiance, who had been napping in the mare's luscious creme locks, crawled out of it and clung onto her back - frightening the poor mare at first as she jumped forward only to feel the talons dig into her skin a little more. A tiny yelp escaped her maw before she looked back toward the now laughing, red dragon perched against her haunches. "Get to work. We need to clean this up." she instructed, and the little one was limber in his movements down to the ground - not quite certain on how to fly yet, but definitely understanding how to catch the air in his wings to ease his descent to the earth.

After both had spent a good hour cleaning up the land around her garden, it was the appearance of another orange dragon that had the mare lifting her head in shock. Talons clung to Res's tendrils and tried to yank her in one direction. Gold orbs locked onto creature before finally recognizing who its companion was. "Evangeline?" Resplendence whispered, remembering the mare from but a few meetings before, and the dragon snorted and tugged again. "Valiance, let's go!" she said, waiting for the dragon to scurry up back into his little nest of her hair before taking off after the dragon at a full-out run.

Of course, it was the sound of panic that was inherent in Kahlua's voice that made her speed up more, limbs flying at a speed she didn't think possible. How many are dying? How many are hurt? What's going on?! Her mind runs at a million miles a minute, and there is a discontented chirp from Valiance who seems to believe that there really is nothing to worry about and that Resplendence is only overreacting - as she had done with his hatching.

As she arrived at the scene, kicking up dirt behind her with panic on her face she sees two people on the ground. One is Evangeline and the other... a stag she'd never seen before. Instantly, she is traipsing her way over towards the mare she knew, not daring to even ask any questions - just poking and prodding around to see if she winced at anything and to listen to the sounds of her breath. And, once certain there was nothing wrong, she stood up and gave a small cough and a slight apology. Her mind spinning. It's not multiple - it'll be okay. But Valiance is annoyed at the fact that Res must simply think the worst. So, he is already at work swatting her with his talons against her neck. Grimacing in annoyance Res snaps back at the dragon on her withers before turning to the stag who lay on the ground. "I'm Resplendence. If you can hear me, yes is pinning your ears twice, no is pinning them once. Do you have an injury?" A slight pause. "Is it alright if I prod around?" she asks, and regardless of his answer she goes in and begins to carefully inspect every inch of his frame that she can get to. "I'm going to listen to you breathing, try to stay as still as possible, and breathe as deeply as you can," she instructed before place her ear against his side, after dropping to her knees. His breathing had been shallow and fast and that simple fact concerned the claybank mare who was now in charge of the well-being of the herd.

Lastly, she got to her feet again and looked to both Evangeline and Kahlua. "Could he stand - I'd like to check his other side to make sure there's nothing wrong there before I get started..." she said, her voice not strong - not confident. She hadn't had to direct anyone before - but she did know what she was doing. "It looks like he'll need some assistance..." she added on, ear flickering around in slight uncertainty. All she needed was for him to fall and break something while she was attempting to inspect him and see what was wrong. But, she needed to check his other side - and it wasn't smart for him to be laying down.
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

"RESPLENDENCE" The voice echoed through not only Aaron's ears, but also the more aware hellhound Alanna. The tone is what brought both of them wide awake. Alanna had been dreaming peacefully while Aaron on the other hand... Had not. He was having nightmares about not only his mother's death, but finding the bodies of two of his younger sisters. The long time passed, he could only assume the same for the other sister. All were dead. He was it.

But in a matter of seconds the painted Glazier was up and running, a flash of ivory and garnet at his hooves. The hellhound infact surged ahead of him, her icy blue eyes taking it all in. One hurt, stranger. Three here from family. It was strange to hear Alanna call the ones from the Edge family, and it stung a little as he was not ready to give up on his blood family... But it seemed he had no choice. They were dead a gone, the members of the Qian were not. Mirage may not be the lead, but he would forever be loyal to the Qian at the least.

Alanna moved up to stand beside Kahlua, sitting just off to her right. Aaron arrived shortly after, just as Res asked the sick stallion to stand. Wordlessly, he moved to the side opposite from Evangeline to help steady the stallion. It wasn't that he didn't think she could do it, just that he could take more of the other stallion's weight. "It seems Alanna and I slept in this morning and you all have had all the fun." He tried to joke, but even in his mind he failed. The stallion he stood next to, waiting to see if he could even stand, looked like he was really bad off. Mentally, Aaron was messed up but tried to cover it it. Kaj and Cheveyo were the only ones he had told of his sisters deaths, and part of him wanted to keep it that way. Less questions that way.

Alanna sighed. She looked up to Kahlua, wishing the now Queen could see was she saw in Aaron. Then again, Alanna also thought Aaron and Kahlua would be great together..... Aaron only had eyes for Kimber however. The hellhound sighed. Time heals all wounds, but some take longer than others.

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Unregistered
[ Long post; sorry. Tried to fit you all in. ]

”You know better.” Evangeline spoke sternly, as if she were the older of us, and I a silly foal. And perhaps I was too wise to lay down like a lamb in the face of this illness, but my body no longer kept up with my mind. Small spasms ran though my folded limbs – punishment, perhaps, for pushing them so far. I wished only to sleep and yet Evangeline was next to me, suddenly – her side a warm wall, smooth and soft with the curve of flesh over her ribs. My nerves tingled distantly with surprise. Was I so weak? My ears flopped briefly as her muzzle found the mop of forelock on my crown (demeaning). And yet I felt strangely at peace, to be near her – as if her presence alone were enough to make me whole again. Comfort and confusion ran at equal pace, both left behind, eventually, by the muddled thickness of exhaustion. It proved slow but all-consuming.

”Where did you go?” The next question reached me from somewhere distant; my attention wandered farther into darkness as I listened to the awkward rattle of my lungs. Where? The memory stirred distantly. Isilme had succumbed to darkness, and I… where had I gone? Nowhere – anywhere. I had sentenced myself to a life of exile quite by accident. It was nothing exciting, save the part where I forgot one must eat and sleep, and subsequently fell prey to disease. And even the disease had been of interest, in its early stage – but now I wished only to rid myself of its grasp, and concentrate on other things. What could I say to her? ”Away.” The word rasped, sluggish, from my throat. Where was Roanne? My head lifted with a jerk; the sound of hoof beats reached us, distantly – and I on the ground.

It was a mare. I drank in the sight of black and white with little hope of remembering the pattern. She moved so quickly… my ears tilted back, mixed irritation and alarm beginning to pool hot in my blood. I was no longer certain it would be enough to stand – I was so tired – but I watched her, awake for the moment, and caught with some accuracy the noise of her words. Resplendence -- a name? But a word, as well… one inappropriate for the situation. She acknowledged me with a word; I stared back, exhausted simply by the sight of her nervous movement. Be still. But then more noise…

Another mare. This one wore ivory and pearl. She broke from the trees like a hunted beast, and something bright above her – Tallis? When had Tallis gone? Another dragon sat on the mare’s back, talons busy as she circled, her eyes like searchlights. An academic gaze, I thought; the level of attention threatened to overwhelm, but I narrowed my eyes onto this newest stranger. Resplendence? I could not be sure. She looked first to Evangeline and then to me. It was all quickly becoming too much; I needed to stand, with these women darting about like flies. The stringy muscles of my legs all quivered ominously, when I called on them. I lay tense, peering up at her with one eye only a little covered by black forelock. So, she was Resplendence… and by the sound of it, some kind of healer. My rattling breath stopped short to make room for a quiet snort.

”I can speak,” I rumbled, hoarse and far more pitiful than the situation called for. A wet, shuddering cough belied the valor of the words; I had no strength left for theatrics. Her ear was at my side, soon, anyway; with a roll of my eyes I breathed in, out – simple enough to hear the croaking rattle under my ribs. It crackled like dead leaves, and I coughed again, dripping phlegm onto the ground. Her touch was not particularly welcome, though I bore it with what little grace I had – ears back, body leaning without thought much closer to Evangeline, who was at least a known quantity. Nor had she become frantic – an admirable trait, and one this healer ought to learn from.

”It’s in…” I drew a deep breath as the mare moved away; breathing became more difficult with the excitement. A rattling snort. ”It’s the lungs,” I said, bracing the weak muscles of my legs. Some movement caught my peripheral vision – another damned spectator, just when I wanted most to be left alone. ”Some kind… infection.” It had seemed like a cold, at first, but it had clearly become more than that in the preceding months. I wished to detail the finer points of its progression – the quiet slipnoose tightening of choking in my lungs, the lack of appetite, and lethargy – but I coughed again instead, and decided against it. The newest stranger had a dog, a wolf, or something – running about like a wild animal. Even with my senses dulled, it smelled lethal. I rocked back at last, my forelegs twisting out to stab madly at the ground in front of me. Stand -- I would stand. If it would quiet them all down, anyway…

Of course, being upright seemed a sensible idea, but I had lain down for a reason – and a good one. My forehand took the diminished weight of my skeletal body with surprising ease, but as the haunches rose to meet it, my legs spasmed in outright betrayal. With a grunt, I began to sag. Oh, pitiable, embarrassing thing I’d become… I spread the weight of my hooves, but leaned toward Evangeline – toward whoever might be around. They were so many – at the very least, they might be helpful. Gasping with the minimal exertion, I allowed my head to fall, nose dripping mucus freely into the grass. A moment ago, I had wished to speak… But forgetting that, I let my eyes flick dully toward the pearly mare instead. Work fast. My usual skepticism faded wholly in light of my desperation. Perhaps she would prove useful, and I would be healthy once more, after all… It hardly mattered. I had either to trust her or lay down and die – and I had already decided against the latter.

Outcast
"Away."

She was left to imagine what away meant when Ruske said little else to elaborate on where he had been. Perhaps that moment was not the time for her to be asking him where he had gone, but she didn't want him to fall asleep. They both had been healers, they both knew how dangerous it was for a sick horse to go down, how hard it would be for him to get back up. She was left hoping that he wouldn't fall asleep and slip away permanently.

The sound of hooves drew Eva's attention reluctantly away from Ruske and to the mare that had arrived. There was a slight look of disappointment on Eva's face when she saw that it was Kahlua and not Resplendence. While she did like Kahlua she desired most for Resplendence's company. The flap of wings overhead signaled Tallis' return, she looked up as he perched on a tree branch overlooking them. "She's coming." The dragon said and mere seconds later Resplendence arrived with her dragon in tow.

The orange mare remained quiet as Resplendence immediately began her examination of Ruske. She only moved when asked if Ruske could stand and as she stood there was another that came and took a spot at Ruske's other side to help her stabilize him as he rose to his hooves. Her ears flew back against her head and she snorted as Ruske seemed as if he would sink back to the ground. She offered her body for him to lean against. Eva could shoulder his weight, she would shoulder it if it meant that he would stay standing and not worry her by laying down once more. If she had to she would have Tallis light a fire under him to keep him from going down.

"He going to be okay, isn't he?" Evangeline questioned the Moon Doctor. Part of her already knew that Ruske would be fine. He was too stubborn to let an illness get the better of him, especially when they had only just found one another again. There was too much to talk about, too much catching up to do for him to just go and die.

"."

It was never a surprise to the painted woman that Resplendence took to her job like a duck to water. For all of her flighty tendencies and fears of this and that, injuries never seemed to bother the fallen angel and she always knew what herb would be best to fix this or that. It also didn't really surprise the painted queen that, given the situation, she was more or less ignored. And while she did have a tendency to enjoy being the center of attention, she wasn't at all concerned about that right now. As the man was ordered up from the ground, and assistance nearly demanded from Resplendence's mouth, Kahlua went to move forward, but Aaron was there before she could get a step in, the commotion at the border having obviously drawn the attention of several other members of the herd as well. Actually, Kahlua was impressed with the showing.

While she was still nervous, Kahlua eventually was able to contain her shifting and rocking, leaving herself to just stand and watch the work as it was performed. It was a shame that, for all that Resplendence knew, she would never be able to learn any of it. She had tried- it just didn't stick. Instead, she decided to take this time to watch the stallion, assuming that Eva had brought him here to join, taking in his demeanor and trying to decide if he would be a worthy denizen of the land. Even in his illness, he managed to avoid yelling and fighting, biting or snapping- he seemed calm, collected. Not that any of this was easy for the girl to discover. It took her a long time to think of this, to consider it, to mull it over. Still, the queen was learning... or trying to learn, which was better than nothing at all.

“Let me know if I can gather anything for you, Res,” she offered in the end, knowing that if Res provided her one sample she would be able to collect more of the same type, as they had after the invasion. Otherwise, she remained in place, content to leave the others room to breath.

OOC| Many apologies for the wait. I'm back now with no absences predicted any time within the next month!
Kahlua
Image Credit

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Although Kahlua had not been calling her name, the sense of urgency in Kahlua’s voice put Alysanne on alert, waking her from the fitful nap she had been attempting. The shout did not sound as though it had come from far off – should she at least check? It couldn’t hurt, and she certainly would not be able to settle down and get anything done once she made certain that everyone was safe. Things were more-or-less back to normal but she still worried at shadows and felt a sharp hit of fear when there were shouts.

She approached the group but moved no closer than Kahlua once she realized that someone was sick, a stallion that she did not recognize. There were others – Aaron, Resplendence, a chestnut mare that she did not yet know but recognized, and of course Kahlua. Coming to a stop beside her friend, she reached out with the intention of touching the mare softly on the shoulder as way of silent greeting. But her eyes quickly refocused on Resplendence and the sick stallion as he explained that there was an infection in his lungs. Uncertainty led her to stay where she was – she certainly did not want to add to the crowd that was right there unless she was needed – and besides, what could she even do to help? She was still learning about the herbs, relearning about how to be a healer, but she wanted to be here so she could help if she was needed.

“If you need me, Resplendence, I’m here.” She echoed Kahlua’s sentiments with one of her own, her voice quiet and soft – she wanted nothing of her presence to be intrusive unless it needed to be. Those large wings pressed tightly against her sides as if that action alone would make her smaller and less in the way. She had every faith in Resplendence’s ability to heal though she had only ever seen her keep the wraith sickness at bay - the faith the herd had in her was not for nothing. If anyone would be able to help this stranger, it was most certainly her.

ooc: huzzah! I know I said that she wouldn't jump in but Abba pointed out that it'd actually be a good idea so here she is :P
Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Resplendence
come and watch over me like the pale moonlight

She spun, she moved with a grace that years of nervousness had wound in to my bodice. Muscles flexing and bending as she inspected the stag on the ground. He spoke, but it sounded painful - definitely painful. Rattling breathes and dripping phlegm - an infection (most likely of the lungs). That of which he seemed to confirm in his strangled answer. "It definitely seems like that - sir." she whispered, perking her ear up, "But, forgive me, because I'm still checking for other injuries," she muttered stubbornly, as she moved in closer to his side and poked and prodded around on that flesh.

Yes, no physical wounds. That was good - no other infections to worry about then. Eva peered over towards Res asking if he'd be alright in the process. There was a gentle bob of her head. "He will not die on my watch, I promise sister." The words slipped easily from her maw as she took a step back - a nod of a thank you sent to Aaron for acting a shoulder for this stag in order to keep him standing. Kahlua told Res to let her know if she could grab anything. And, then Alysanne was appearing from the shadows - offering her assistance as well if the mare needed it.

But concentration was all she needed at the moment, and the thin line on her face even had Valiance curling up against her withers not daring to move or make a sound. There was a swell of energy that seemed to course through her veins as the darkness began to swell. Gentle wisps of dark wind began to reach out and curl around the infected stag. They curled and covered the section of his bodice that was his lungs. Slowly, the darkness began to seep in - and with it Res urged her own energy through the healing in order to give him a small boost in the next few days. And, as the darkness seeped in, she could feel the infections - target them, destroy them. Her eyes were sliding shut and deep, even breaths, were flowing from her frame. It was with the wisps curling up into the sky and fading away that her job was done, only to have her stagger back a few steps. Her eyes blinking a few times and legs feeling weaker - her bodice definitely lethargic after offering up her own energy for the stag before her.

Her eyes open clearly, exhaustion making her eyes dim as Valiance took the sky - grabbing the image of the peppermint plant that was in Res' head. "Aly... Kahlua... could you be dears and find more of what Valiance is bringing back - I need some peppermint for my own energy levels..." she whispered, pressing back up against the tree a few pace away as Valiance hovered before the painted equine's stature. There was a protective gleam in the young one's eyes already. Delicately, Res looked back over to the stag she had just helped, "I gave you some of my energy, as I felt bad taking from the Moon when I had the energy reserve. Not only should you be able to breathe fine now, but the infection is gone, and you should have the energy to last you a few days until you can get settled - wherever that may be." the quiet mare explained, allowing a gentle smile to press upon her lips. If the unicorn wanted to attack now, Res felt safe. She was not alone with this stag - her herdmates would not allow harm to come to her, especially not when she couldn't fend well for herself.

This was her family, after all.

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Aaron</style>
World's Edge Glazier
</style>

Silently, Aaron stood helping to hold the newcomer up. Evangeline asked if the unicorn would make it. Res of course answered that he would not die on her watch. Alysanne also arrived to lead help if needed. It seemed like no time at all before Res was calling upon the Moon Goddess gifted magic to heal whatever infection the unicorn had. Alanna in the meantime had kept her place beside Kahlua. She looked with concern as the healer began to do her work. Something just didn't feel right to the hellhound. Moments later she was proved right as Res stumbled back a bit.

Without thinking Aaron left the stallion's side, hoping he would remain standing with Eva there to help support Resplendence instead. His movement was quick, darting across the sort distance and spinning around. "Rest against me." He spoke quietly. He listened carefully as Res herself began to speak. "Aly... Kahlua... could you be dears and find more of what Valiance is bringing back - I need some peppermint for my own energy levels..." He looked to Alanna Help them. The hellhound turned, ready to follow the red dragon or either of the two mares. "I gave you some of my energy, as I felt bad taking from the Moon when I had the energy reserve. Not only should you be able to breathe fine now, but the infection is gone, and you should have the energy to last you a few days until you can get settled - wherever that may be." So this stag had not joined the Edge yet. The crafter was ready, personal and position magics ready to be used to protect himself and the Moon Doctor at hid side if needed. He did not trust any unicorns outside of the Edge.... Even then he was very selected...

"Sed interdum rutrum urna, sed pellentesque sapien tempor in."

background pattern by Patrick Hoesly @ flickr.com

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Unregistered
Through the narrow window of a dwindling consciousness, I focused my attention on the healer. She proved quite thorough, though stubborn – I knew better than anyone my own state! Were I more generously disposed, I might have scolded her, but then I would never have needed her help, anyway. Brought low, instead, I merely stood and awaited some action. The small herd gathered around me existed solely in periphery; only where I leaned against the spotted stallion, did I notice him at all. Though smaller than myself, he at least proved a reliable anchor.

Resplendence drew away at last, though only a small distance. I recognized the growing look of concentration on her face: the way the eyes stared far away, the tension of the muscles given entirely to something other than physical effort. With interest, I pulled my head head up, a few hair’s width higher than before. And then darkness – pure, ephemeral wisps of shadows – gathered around me. It was her doing, of course, and it recalled a certain other power I had once used, but a tension of fear ran bright in the back of my mind. Wasted muscle drew taut beneath my own hide; were I hale enough to move, I might have, but my hooves only twisted, clumsily, without the strength to lift. And as the magic took effect, I realized with certainty my instinct ran in error; a feeling like the warmth of soothing flame began from somewhere deep within my chest, not fire but cleansing, winding outward. A sudden jerk, and my body shuddered as I stepped back, of my own strength, and deeply inhaled.

A last, lingering cough shook loose what evil remained. Neck flung out, I shook out months of dust and old debris from my filthy hide. Thick masses of mane slid forward to cover my face; thrown back with irritation, they soon cleared to reveal the mare, her condition deteriorated. I blinked, curiosity overtaking the brief – very brief – surge of guilt. Was that, then, how it worked? The magic took from her and gave to others? I counted myself grateful to be under the eye of so dedicated a healer, though I wondered, despite my sudden recovery, about the efficacy of such a spell. Another snort, and I swung around to more properly face her. My eyes fell on the others as I moved, acknowledging silently. What could I say? They had me thoroughly disadvantaged – surrounded and known to them, yet beholden myself to ignorance. A winged mare had joined them at some point; I stared in her direction longer than the others, recalling similar creatures of my acquaintance.

Gone, now.

My attention returned to Resplendence once more as she addressed me. Her explanation drew my ears up, and I wondered at her selflessness – it seemed not entirely a boon. Yet I had manners, at least, to cover my private thoughts. Slowly I inclined my head; the world remained so steady, so reliable, the illness felt almost a dream – almost. It was rendered painfully real by the strange forest, the eyes of unknown creatures all around me. Only Evangeline – my eyes twitched, nervously, to catch sight of her orange hide – remained a point of familiarity. And Evangeline! I bit back one of a thousand questions I had for her, for the healer, for the others. All must wait. I had learned patience long ago, but cognizant once more, I found my discipline sorely tested in exercise.

”Thank you.” I forced out less interesting words instead. ”You are truly gifted, and for that I am grateful. It has been a long time since I came across one of your caliber, Resplendence.” Unless I counted myself, but as I was always in my own company, the point seemed invalid. I paused to take another deep breath, measuring the capacity of my ravaged chest. It was not perfect; some ache remained, very distantly, and I wondered if some damage had been done, deep within, that amounted to scar tissue – healed and yet defective, and thus beyond the reach of all but time. Or perhaps the body was merely adjusting to the sudden removal of so antagonistic an illness… I dared not think on it too long, for fear of appearing forgetful, and so I glanced at the others, still unnerved by their eyes. I had, until a short time ago, no intention of settling anywhere, in any capacity. Evangeline’s presence, however, had drastically altered everything.

”My name is Ruske,” I said at last, to buy time. My tail twitched, unhappily, behind me – a nervous tic I hoped they managed to miss, ignore, or forgive. ”I am – acquainted with Evangeline,” a rough gesture in her direction. Further explanation felt beyond my fraying nerves. ”I would prefer to remain in her home, if your leads do not object. I have been a healer in the past, and a teacher as well. I would do what I can for your herd, as I have for others that held my allegiance. And… it seems I am in debt to you, anyway – to Resplendence, at least. I would be remiss if I did not attempt to repay you.” As to who had the authority to grant my request – perhaps none of them did. A sobering thought; I did not wish to beg again for a different audience. Yet I supposed one of them might, and pinned my hope on that – I was not worthless, at least, as had been my younger self. And if I appeared now tarnished with sin, perhaps I could offer repentance, in the name of a new start. Again and again I managed to escape death; I could, at least, do my very best to stop inviting it in.

[ Ah, I forgot she had her rank magic back -- I had intended to keep his lungs somewhat diminished, functionally. I hope you don't mind the way I described it, abba? :x I didn't want to make it seem like Res failed or anything, only that while he was running around sick his lungs were quite messed up, and couldn't return to perfectly normal. If anything's bad I'll change it asap. ]

Outcast

The change in Ruske was quite sudden and somewhat alarming to the orange mare. In her own experience she had not been able to heal so quickly and she didn't remember seeing Ruske heal someone so quickly either, but Helovia was far different from Isilme. If anything she was remarkably thankful that Resplendence was such a good healer that she was able to fix Ruske so quickly. The promise that the Moon Doctor gave of not allowing him to die on her watch was clearly upheld and it made Evangeline breathe a sigh of relief as she watched Ruske breathe easily for the first time since she'd found him in the Threshold. With each breath he took the fear that had been in the back of her mind that he would suddenly stop struggling and allow death to claim him slipped away.

Evangeline reached her muzzle out to brush it against Ruske's shoulder should he allow then turned to look at Resplendence. Understanding dawned on her as the doctor explained that she'd given some of her energy to Ruske. Part of her approved of it because Ruske was her closest friend, but the more rational part of her thought that it was a tad foolish. A healer needed to be at full strength because any sort of emergency could happen at any time and she'd need to be at her full potential. "Thank you, Resplendence." She said quietly as she looked to Ruske once more. She smiled as Ruske praised her skills and nodded her agreement.

As Ruske spoke Tallis left his perch in the trees and settled upon his bonded's back and looked around the gathered group. "Ruske would be a valuable asset to the Edge." Her eyes found Kahlua and she spoke directly to the mare. "In our old home Ruske was our healer and our teacher. His knowledge of herbs and their healing properties is unsurpassed." It would be foolish to not grant him admission and if that were Kahlua's decision she would gladly point that out before following Ruske to whatever place he would call home.

"."

It never ceased to amaze the girl how quickly Res could do her work. Her brain was like a giant pool of knowledge, swallowing information and then washing it ashore again when it was needed. How she had been so lucky to fall into Res's good graces was beyond her, but she was glad to call the doctor friend. Glad to call both doctors friend, in fact, she thought as Alysanne joined their group. When, in time, the girl's offer to help was accepted, she nodded to Resplendence, noting what the dragon was carrying to and fro and was getting ready to set off in search of the plants when she was stopped by the voice of the once-sick stallion.

Ruske. She turned back to face him, regarding him with a kind smile as he went on to explain his acquaintance with Eva and his potential use to the herd. And with Eva corroborating his story what choice did the mare have but to accept him? Not that she would have turned him away. “I'm Kahlua, queen,” she offered to him, calm now that the panic seemed to have passed. With a sidelong glance to Res, hoping the mare would understand why she had neglected to go gather plants as asked, she returned her gaze to Ruske.

“We'd be happy to have you, of course,” she added, never considering that Eva might have thought he was in danger due to the horn on his head. Which, of course, she would be justified in thinking, but Kahlua was still too happy in this new world, cleared of darkness, to give thoughts to the racism of unicorns. And besides, he didn't smell of the Basin, which was really her trigger. There was some sort of logic hidden in her mindlessness, it just had to be found. “So long as you help us achieve our goal of peace in Helovia.” With a gentle smile she tossed her head backwards, towards the forest, “Welcome home.” At least she was easy to please.
Kahlua
Image Credit

Alysanne the Devoted Posts: 641
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 hh :: 11 years HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Hemlock :: Flammulated Owl :: Heal & Cypress :: Great Horned Owl :: None Sarah

Alysanne had seen the healing mists before, but they had been ineffectual against whatever it was that had taken a hole of Aurelia before she and Resplendence had fled from the Edge. Now, she watched with complete awe as she got to see the Moon Doctor do her work. There was no doubt in her mind that she would be able to help the horned stallion, and indeed she did! Even going as far to give her own energy to aid in the process, a wonderfully selfless act that only made sense for Alysanne. Selfless was easy to understand.

Bright green eyes watched as the male found his feet again and remained upright without too much difficulty. Her attention quickly returned to Resplendence as she asked for them to find some herbs to replenish her energy. “Of course.” Alysanne paused with Kahlua when her friend looked back, but when it became apparent that she had other things on her mind the Pegasus quickly turned away from the group and hurried after the red dragon. She was doubly thankful – both for having the guide and because peppermint was one of those herbs that she knew well. Finding where it grew would take longer for her than recognizing it.

The smell had once been her favourite, reminding her of her father who perpetually smelt of it, and she picked up the pace as she found her way to one of the streams coming down from the mountains where she should find… yes! a cluster of peppermint growing in the moist soil nearby. “Over here, Valiance!” She called out to the dragon, her voice still kind and undemanding despite the hurry she was sure they both felt. Hastily she uprooted a couple plants and encouraged the dragon to grab what he could as well, unsure of the dosage but knowing grabbing more would save them time. She wanted to make sure they had enough to keep Resplendence conscious and get a little bit of energy back in her.

What she really needed was rest, the plants could only do so much, but if she wanted peppermint than Alysanne was happy to oblige her.

With two whole plants – or as much of them as she could get – in her mouth she cantered back to the group but slowed as she approached Resplendence. Mindful of Valiance, she flashed the other Moon Doctor a smile as she gently laid the herbaceous plants on the ground before the mare’s hooves. Stepping back then, she returned to her previous spot – out of the way but close enough if something else was required.

Alysanne</style>
I lit a flame in my heart to guide you home.</style>

image credits
table by boom <3
please tag Alysanne in replies
[Image: alysanne_by_schwartze-d89se15.png]
made by the lovely tamme
non-life threatening physical force is allowed at all times, but preference is to be checked with beforehand for any injuries

Resplendence</style>

FROM THE SCRAPES AND BRUISES
TO THE FAMILIAR ABUSES
I'LL KICK AND SCREAM BUT IT NEVER CHANGES ANYTHING

As she stumbled backwards, feeling weak in the knees, there was the appearance of a sturdier form beside her. With his words the Moon Doctor complied, feeling her frame slouch up against his barrel, allowing the small amount of her weight to press up against his painted coat. Simple words flowed from her mouth, asking for peppermint before the stag began to speak. Words of gratitude and praise fell from his lips before he began to explain just who he was. Pieces of a past as a healer and teacher were confirmed by Eva and I could only allow a smile to to grace my lips even more as I concentrated on standing.

Alysanne had gone off after Res's dragon to find the herbs as Kahlua stayed behind - being the leader she had forgotten for the moment. It was so strange seeing her as the Queen, but she had no doubt Kah would bring the joy the herd needed in these times. There was a tiny break before she allowed herself to speak back up again, sweet lyrics swirling from her maw in a welcoming message. "It would be my pleasure to have you join Alysanne's and I's healing ranks. I'm sure your knowledge of herbs will be helpful, especially as we restart our garden."

Her voice stopped, though as Alysanne appeared again with Valiance in tow, dropping down a mouthful of the herb near Res's feet. Careful movements took the herbs and swallowed them - already feeling a little better, but knowing it would take more time for the effects to actually sink in. In fact, it is probably the fact that she knows it is in her system that makes her feel better about it all.

As Res pulled back up and pressed against Aaron's side once more Valiance ruffled his feathers and landed upon her back. Once certain everyone seemed to be safe, he also allowed allowed himself to curl up, resting against the stag's back and curled up in Res's fluffy mane against her withers, content to watch and glare at those around.

After all - Res was his, and no one elses (according to his own thoughts for Res would definitely beg to differ).

When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love