the Rift

First Steps

Leeka Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Snow drifted endlessly from the heavens in a light flurry, coating all the world in its singular palette. Carefully Leeka picked her way through the frozen landscape with only the sounds of her own footsteps and the occasional heavy breath to keep her company. Pale, green eyes regarded every curve of the wood that she could see, watching for movement, looking for anything familiar and finding nothing. These woods were unknown to her and again heartache bloomed in her chest. This was not the low rising wood of the Farrows, with its soft-needled evergreens, humble ironwoods and weeping willows by the creeks. Nor would it ever be. Eoroleen, that fair land, was no more, taken by the shadows of an unfathomable evil moons ago. Why, Leeka was little more than a orphan now, outcasted and lost. If perhaps she could have just awakened her magic, become a magicker like her mother...useless thoughts, the past can not be changed. Besides, it still wasn't known if she even possessed the gift in the first place. Everyone had just hoped fervently because Leeka was her daughter, the first born, and her mother had been the first magicker in centuries. Yet Leeka believed she had the power, it was only just dormant still, maturing within her, waiting for the opportune moment.

Walking along the heavily burdened branches the young mare pecked at the pine needles for nourishment and munched on the snows to quench her thirst when she could be distracted from the ponderous weight of her limbs. Thankfully her coat had grown in thick and healthy to guard against the cold, bitter wind but constant exposure had worn on the young mare and she was not yet wise in the tricks of winter. Still, Leeka had done well for herself and found that the cover of the forest, bare even as it was, was a relief from the open, empty lands she had traversed prier to her coming here. Once in a while she thought she caught the scent of something or saw in the snow a familiar sort of track but the winter winds were quick to disperse her hopes of identifying it. Suddenly the mare stumbled, sliding on a patch of ice, nearly losing her footing before recovering and bracing herself on solid ground. Panting from surprise Leeka just stood there, gathering herself for a few moments, a bit irked to have been so careless. Taking a deep breath the young mare released a wavering sigh and was about to carry on when she thought that she heard a sound and gave a jolt. Quickly her head snapped up to the perceived source of the sound and waited, trying to see if there was a form to divine or if she was falling to imagination.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
In the painted girl's childish opinion, it had been far too long since she had graced the Threshold with her presence. And, with the wraiths and the darkness finally gone, what better time than now? As she always did, the girl practically bounced as she trotted across the land, jubilantly celebrating with herself as she traveled, to make the time more enjoyable. Resplendence always asked if she ever stopped bouncing. Certainly there were times when the addled queen could contain herself- but why did she need to? Life was grand- even the snow and cold could not keep her from enjoying herself.

As she crossed into the forest of the now very familiar Threshold, the girl slowed to a walk and plastered a smile on her face. Everything about her upturned lips, her confident walk and her raised head exuded sincerity. She was a walking box of happy, ready to explode onto the nearest horse she could find. Besides, exploding with happiness was much better than exploding with anger, frustration and hatred like she had when she had been... sick.

A quick shake of her head forced the memory from her mind and the girl carried on, blue eyes searching every which way in an attempt to find some lost newcomer to gather into her aura of glee. It was the sound of hooves slipping on ice- a sound the paint knew all too well- that finally captured her attention. Turning, probably just a hair too quickly, Kahlua crashed into several sticks and branches she hadn't seen until it was far too late. Whoops!

“Hello friend!” the overo called as she bounce-trotted her way over to rather striking appaloosa mare that had managed to catch the aloof queen's attention- a feat Leeka should have been rather proud of. “I'm Kahlua, queen of the Edge, and you?” she offered as she bowed her head, still enjoying the way the word queen rolled from her mouth when she was talking about herself. Yes, perhaps she was a little vain, but every horse has their faults... Kahlua just happened to have a few more than the average horse.
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Unregistered
Leeka stood still for a moment, surprised and stunned to silence by the sudden appearance of a painted mare. The energy surrounding the stranger was palpable and nearly overwhelmed the young one. To have been alone for so long and suddenly face this cheeriness, as if all her woes were nothing, would have knocked anyone off their game. When words spun off the painted's tongue Leeka suddenly came back to herself and at once doubts flickered in her mind. Queen? The word was strange, but perhaps it was similar to an Ashi of her homeland, a Mistress or Keeper of the land. Leeka fought the frown that fidgeted at her lips. How easy it'd be to say such a thing when nothing is known and to introduce oneself so lightly with the title. Could she say she was a Queen of Timbuktu and be believed as well? Leeka was not wholly convinced and refused to be a victim to a lie, but for the time being she was going to respect it; it was too soon to tell anything yet, save for one thing and that was that she didn't feel threatened by Kahlula. Rather, that she felt as though she were safe now, at least more than she was before. It could be her heart soaring at the sight of another or some flung off giddiness from the painted mare that has infected her but Leeka choose to trust in the feeling. What other real choice was there anyway? This was the turning point, like it or not, for better or worse.

"I am Leeka, of Eoroleen." she said, moving off the ice and turning round, bowing her head curtly in the manner Kahlua had, then raised her foreleg to her chest and touched her maw to her knee in the manner of formal greeting her homeland. " You said the Edge," she continued, head tilted with question " is that the name of this dwelling, this wood? I dare say it was a right herald who named it for I am on the edge of all I know."

How very different the two were, juxtaposed beside one another- the wary newcomer and the thoughtless queen- but Kahlua knew nothing of their differences and saw only a friend before her in the woods. How easy it was to be Kahlua, at least in happy times, thinking nothing but the best of strangers and going through life like a child in a candy factory. It was only the night that slowed her down, only the nightmares of her dreams that brought her sorrows, but she would not be happy now, not in the sunlight, not with Leeka before her.

As was her custom and habit, the queen repeated the mare's name to herself several times, associating it with the mare's look and voice. She wasn't good at much, but keeping tracks of names and faces was practically her specialty. “Oh,” she said in some surprise as the mare lifted her knee and bent her head, the motion a novel one to the queen, but one that she found interesting nevertheless. However, before she could comment on the motion, her head was sent whirling with Leeka's very formal speech. For more than a few seconds too long, the painted girl stood in silence, her smile falling on one side, as she tried her very hardest to sort out what she had heard.

“This is the Threshold, though I don't know who named it,” she offered finally, her smile returning and bubbly laughter trickling out. She couldn't help that she wore her emotions very visibly on her face. She would never make a good liar. “The Edge is a different wood, across Helovia, that I lead with Kaj the StornBringer.” She paused for a moment, letting the words sink in, before finishing. “Why did you come here from your home?”
Image Credit

Unregistered
For a moment Leeka had thought that she had said something wrong after she had spoken, awaiting Kahlua's answer. Did she have an accent that was hard to understand? It did not escape her notice how different her manner of speaking seemed aloud compared to how Kahlua spoke, which felt short and blunt in comparison. Maybe she should try to adjust. The tongue of Eoroleen was a very descriptive and winded one, she had to admit. Still, Leeka half feared in those split seconds of silence as she comprehended this that the white of the mares coat would melt into snow and the onyx part prove to be some cleverly woven shadows. A trick of her mind concocted to delay the inevitable loneliness that ate at her weary soul. To make a fool of oneself, wouldn't that be grand? Her worries, however, were broken when Kahula erupted into bubbly laughter again, the sound of which was still unusual to Leeka's ears though the young mare had the impression it was best to get used to it, for it seemed to be an iconic quality of the mare. It was easy enough to read the mirth on her face anyway, that even a blind horse could tell.

So, this land was called Helovia. At the mention of Kaj the Stormbringer, Leeka's ears perked, intrigued by the second title. The Stormbringer? Why were they named that, she wondered. Was it possible magic existed here too? Her mother could call rain when she wanted, as all magickers could. Excited by the prospect, Leeka was about to ask but Kahlua spoke again before she could and the thought ran from her mind, banished by the solemnness of her memories. " I didn't want to, but I had no choice in the matter. I was out on pilgrimage to complete my Mark of Age, turning three as I did last summer, only to return to a home overrun by some fell enemy forgotten in the lore of my people. There was perhaps a reason magic was lost before my mother came..." That last was added slowly, for it was a thought that came too often to her when gloom dwelled.

It came too late to Leeka when she realized how much she had said, spilling the truth of her history to a near perfect stranger. She wasn't troubled, however, rather she was comforted. In a way it felt natural to confess to Kahlua, like she was friend. Leeka decided it was the nonchalantness of this whole encounter that was filling her with hope and encouragement. The painted mare had shown nothing but kindness and her feelings couldn't find any foul intention at all. Besides, what use was it to keep the secrets of a dead land? It was no longer but a tale of her's to tell now. The pintaloosa dug shy-like into the earth with the toe of a flinty hoof. Leeka felt her throat tighten some, unbidden, but managed not to let it crack her voice. " I was to be a magicker, like my mother..."

Perhaps some horses would have shied away from the sudden burst of emotion that feel from Leeka's lips, trying to hide from the heart-wrenching tale of a mare returning home to find nothing but destruction. But not Kahlua- she listened and accepted the words, nodding her head and stepping forward at the mention of lost magic and the girl's mother, offering out her nose to the girl's shoulder, if she would have it, and trying to press against her softly. The queen was more than convinced that a friendly touch a the right time could make all the difference, and she was trying very hard.

I was to be a magicker, Leeka finished, and Kahlua stepped back tossing her head to the side, motioning towards the center of the land. “Come on, let's walk,” she added, turning and setting off slowly, seeing if Leeka would follow. “I came here after my home burned down- I lost my family too.” It only seemed natural to return the favor, sharing her secret in exchange for her new friend's. “I think my brother must have made it out alive, he was too smart not to, but... I haven't seen him since.” She used to fall to tears at the very mention of her family, of their death, of the fire, but time heals all wounds. Every time she spoke of them, it became easier and easier, hurting a little less and becoming more fact than tragic tale. Perhaps she had Dragomir to thank for some of that.

“You still could have magic,” she chattered on then, bright blue eyes looking back with eagerness, ready to help this young newcomer in any way that she could. “The gods are kind to us, especially the herds- we were even able to build a wall with the magic they granted us, though it was broken in many places.” For a moment the girl's lips turned down, the wall a source of trouble to her now. She used to prance about gaily, proudly announcing that she had built it, reveling in that knowledge, but now she almost hated the thing. Walls were prisons- she would not have her herd living in one.

“The goal of the Edge is peace throughout the land. If you want, you could join us!” So she kept trekking on through the woods, waiting for Leeka's response, content and eager for her reply.
Image Credit

Abishia Posts: 225
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 16 HH :: 5 years ~ Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Wild.
Laughter oozed over the horizon as she peeked upon a small rise, her cornet bands dug deep into the white powder as she stared out across a land thick with slim tree trunks and fat ones, dotted with the commonly occurring moon flower. The day was not of a gloomy matter, and the lithe girl couldn't help but be amused by the laughter and voices somewhere near by. Her harks flew forward as she took few careful steps, narrowing her orbs and cocking her dome as she advanced on the gleeful pair. They were not in sight to the girl yet, but Just behind the line of trees before her was a pair of mares. One of which she knew much too Well, Kahlua. And a newcomer that had graced the land with her appearance. But the girl is ignorant to the fact that an old... Well, Kahlua was friend nor enemy... Possibly Just a meaningless aquintance that came along with being connected to Antheia. None the less, the situation that Abi would walk into would most likely stride in on would turn from light to dark in a matter of seconds.

The darkness was still fresh in her mind. Her return none but a day ago, she still remembered every last detail. The drooling for flesh by the wraiths, the frightened Briggs and lifeless bodies occupied by an entity not known to man or horse - only speculated. The painted child tilted her head once more before lengthen her stride tomeet the two beings she hadn't even bothered to scent and put a face to wait she smelt and sensed. Walking between two slim trees, she curled her lanky body so she could meet the two gracefully as they walled past. As they came about two strides from her, she cleared her throat and stared at the black and white overo. The image of her wraith like bodice fresh in her mind, the gaping jaws eager for flash and scorpion tail that used to hang over her back. Fear seared through Abisbia's heart, but she resisted to the urge to flee. She smiled lightly and dipped her dome to Kahlua, then turned to the one at her side. She dipped her dome yet again to the other mare, a striking Appaloosa and smiled wider. " Miss Kahlua, pleased to be in your presence once again. " Chills ran up and down been spine, but she let down her Hayes and let herself glow with a new found happiness. The amulets around her neck clanked together as she tipped her head slightly so her long sorrel forelock could slide behind her right ear, revealing her pleasingly soft eyes. She nodded slightly before letting a small laugh escape her. " A newcomer? Well, I welcome you to the great land of Helovia. Vast and beautiful it is, fit for any horse. Many opportunities and adventures lie here. You are lucky enough to grace this land with such presence ma'am. Welcome. "

lines
please tag me in any and all posts

Ciceron Posts: 315
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 6 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kiara :: White Tiger :: Poison nickel

Much time had passed since the stallion had broken the border of the Threshold, yet here he was again doing just this. Whether it be the return of his wandering spirit or the desire to show his companion Kiara the many different lands making up Helovia he trotted effortlessly through the underbrush. Each step was as soft as possible so not to dislodge the small black and white striped feline from where she clung to his back. It was surprising how sharp a tiger's claws even from such a young age were to exposed flesh or trees for that matter. It had taken a bit of creativity on his part to modify the homemade sling he had used to carry Kiara's egg into something that would suit to keep the cat safely upon his back when they travelled. At this point she did not have the natural balance that would come in time as she aged so he had to practically tie her in place, not that she seemed to mind being snuggled up against him half buried in the thick wavy locks of his mane.

Voices caught the grey's ears changing his path somewhat to investigate who all was around. Pricking his ears forward as the three mares came into sight he slowed to a steady walk glancing between them all as he approached cautiously wanting to make sure he was not walking into a dangerous situation that could harm Kiara. Wickering softly in greeting he tipped his head acknowledging each mare in turn before settling his silver gaze upon the newest arrival to Helovia. Both the other mares he knew resided here from their scents and the faint familiarity but the painted brown and white mare seemed to carry a different aroma perhaps from some outside land.

"Hello there ladies, I do hope I am not intruding on something important. I was just passing through and thought I would come introduce myself. My name is Ciceron of the Hidden Falls herd. Welcome to Helovia." He commented brightly yet respectfully to all but directing the final words to the newcomer. A inquisitive chuff sounded softly from Kiara as she poked her head out from beneath his mane looking around with bright blue eyes. She was going to have quite the personality as she grew, that much he could already predict but was looking forward to growing to know her.

••WORDS: 401 •• TAGS: Kahlua, Abisha, Leeka •• NOTES: Hope you don't mind me crashing the thread :) ••

Table by Moonstone Designs
[Image: ciceron_by_foxyfirewings-d7npcjn.png][Image: untitled_2_by_moonstone_designs-d9fwqyy.png]
Pixel Base- BronzeHalo
**Please Tag Me In All Posts**
Permission to attack, use magic and injure with the exception of maiming or death.

Unregistered
Leeka allowed Kahlua to come near and nuzzle her, finding that just the touch of another meant the world to her after the loss of her homeland and everything she knew. It also dispelled at last the lingering doubts that the painted mare would vanish somehow, beriding her of the light she needed in this hour. Like a foal trailing after its mother the pintoloosa seamlessly strode alongside Kahlula after her invite to follow, unwilling to even dare muse over the thought of losing sight of the older mare and kept pace at the others shoulder, despite her limbs protest. Though her heart was finally beginning to rise from its glooms the nip of the frost and cold numbed her flesh and made the young mare’s gait unsteady, but whatever grievance she harbored for the slight was erased from her mind when she heard Kahula’s own confession. Leeka was aghast. “ So your home was taken too? How horrid… Do all in Helovia share such similar history?”

In her rambling Leeka nearly missed was Kahlua mentioned next and nothing could have shocked her more. Hope struck through her heart like a bolt of lightning and made her speechless, at least for a few moments, a grin on her maw. Though the talk of gods was strange to her Leeka could only think of her mother’s words and the gift that ran in her blood. Did her mother foresee this opportunity in her visions? Is this the path she mentioned before? This news only cemented Leeka’s faith and determination to learn all she could from Kahlua. After all that has happened to her, she still couldn’t believe her luck. Still, there was something unspoken of that she wondered about.

“Kahlua, I’m grateful for the offer and there is nothing more that I would like then to join your herd, but first answer me this. You say your herd wishes peace through out the land and that your wall is broken, does that mean all is not well in Helovia? Is there yet strife abroad in your land?” She gazed earnestly at the painted mare, awaiting an answer. It was only fair having come from hardship to know if she was rotationally facing another, but even with that ominous possibility floating above so long as Kahlua was near Leeka could weather it alongside her. Of queen she was yet convinced, but a blossoming friendship with the painted mare, that she could- and so desperately wanted.

So focused was she on the painted mare that she did not notice the approach of a young filly as they walked on. Dazed from her travels Leeka could only muster a nod and mumble a greeting in return, feeling yet another wave of warmth from being welcomed. Her troubles were ending, or at least for now. It was as of yet unknown if more awaited her in fates silken threads. Leeka was about to comment when another voice rang out from behind in greeting, though this one belonged to a stallion. Caught between moments she only heard a few snippets of what the dapple stallion said though what was most prominent to Leeka was the mention of a different herd name. The Hidden Falls? So there was more than one herd in Helovia. Again and again this land seemed to hold more surprises. Just how much was different here then from her homeland?