the Rift

First sign of spring
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas
the one to see you through your darkest times

The sun rose high above our land, cresting over distant treetops and washing the valley in a warm glow. I watched the painted colors of burnt blood stain a cloudy sky. A quiet morning is constantly broken by the thundering of water that had become white noise to my ears; it would seem this land was abundant in two things, water and the mentally unstable. Both of which were taking some getting used to. Chilled air is warmed in my lungs, leaving out between flared nostrils in a warm mist. Fina is nestled along spine where wings are folded tightly to retain heat. Her fire isn’t the flame others might feel if pressed against flesh, nay it is warm—like the folds of a mother’s barrel as she cradles her child.

Soft Frostfall flora is a moist carpet beneath my feet. The meadow I stand in is ringed by short hardwoods that give way to musky pine and cedar. I watch the sun in silence, lids halfway shut in contentment. A red sunrise was an omen of wind and rain to come—somewhere a storm would brew up. Already I could feel the northern wind kick up and race across my neck, scattering the thick tendrils of hair.

A storm was coming.

Why did that feel correct in the most basic of ways? This place was so unlike my homeland. The sun wasn’t nearly so hot, there was sand—but it was grainy and brown. Large clusters instead of finely ground gems that had been baked and molded down into microscopic atoms.

I missed them. Was such a thing considered sinful?

OCC: No magic, no companions.
Setting: Early morning, meadow surrounded by trees.
Word count: 271
Attack: (0,3)

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Marco Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

M A R C O

The sun peaked at the mountains in the distance. I could see it, but I vaguely had a sense there was light beginning to peer from the shadows. Nature was beautiful, and I was glad to be apart of the cycle. I wondered when the snow would melt and water the land's parched throat, but it would meant more. Maturity would be a possibility for an aging colt, but it was best not to allow Birdsong to spring so swiftly upon Frostfall's looming weather.

My eyes fell upon the meadow with ease. Something about it reminded me of an old home. I thought too often - repetitively - about it when I should stuff it into the back of my mind. Of course, I had only been here for a short period of time with no idea what was expected me as of yet. In my herd. My family where I could see the godly man leading, and a fierce Amazonian woman by his side. I had many stories to tell about my friends, and an old crush of mine upon Fia. Silly stories, but ones I hoped to charm my new-found family with. It made me wonder: should I mix in some of my infamous puns to go with it?

I was already beaming with elation as I entered the grounds unknown to me. Perhaps it was a familiar smell which brought up hopes. I picked up my slow pace towards the looming figure in the background in the midst of a near-spring landscape. Fortunately, my sense of smell told me right: a familiar face and a certain avian nestled into folded wings.

"Midas?" I asked; squinting to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I peered towards him with a wide grin spreading across my maw once I figured out it was him in person. "N-Nice day today, yes? I hoping Birdsong will arrive soon, don't you? I wish the snow goes away soon. It's c-cold!" I wiggled in excitement at meeting my leader alone. I wasn't sure how to act once I quieted down so I awkwardly bowed and mumbled "king, your Highness" under my breath. I added one more thing, "N-Nice day today."

OOC: Oops, sorry for delay and poor post quality D:
Word Count: 363
Attack: [0,3]
Summary: none

You will like my sense of humor
You will be addicted to my smile
Laughing all the while

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

Midas

The peace of morning was short lived, I could smell the oncoming approach of a familiar lad long before eyes caught sight of his earth toned pelt and masked face. The boy was in high spirits, a smile upon his maw and chocolate eyes. My crown shifted toward him, Fina stirred, cooing softly before settling back to sleep. “Well met, Marco.” One end of my face flicked up out of gentle humor and easement when my little brother began speaking about weather, stumbling and bowing every so often and adding an embellishment to my already flashy title.

For those moments I listened quietly, ears erect in a show of proof that not a single syllable would be cast aside, “Yar,” I smiled wider, naturally allowing the other end of lips to trail high, “Tis soon in coming. Please, call me Midas—no need for a show among brothers.”

His shorter frame was quickly coming into adulthood; I’d watched Cera grow in a similar manner. The stunted legs and torso of youth would be quickly eaten up with the muscles of a man. “Ye were a welcome sight among the wolves at our last meeting.” My gaze darkened into tawny amber, shifting from company toward the burning horizon. “One of the few who didn’t gaze upon me with a loathsome stare better suiting a snake.”

Aye, the politics of running a herd. Fina lifted her head, peeling back her lids to witness Marco standing near. She scolded, unfurled her sunlit feathers and jerked toward heaven in one swift beat. Guessing that our conversation was going to last longer than a few moments, and she wasn’t willing to wait.

Word count: 277
Attack: (0,3)

Unregistered

M A R C O

I hardly gave too much thought upon the weather when I had sighted his Highness. Regretfully, I peeled away from any information regarding titles in my new-found family so the correct term was hidden away from my ears. still, he didn't cast away my words evoked with excitement at his presence which made me even more energetic; my own lips curved into a grin to rival his own. My head raised up and down - a nod of comprehension, "Okay...your Highn-- Midas." I said, struggling to say his name instead of his title.

My ears listened to his words, but I was caught off-guard by his first statement. Face blank, I wondered how, but maybe I looked rather young, didn't I? Hmph, no wonder mares weren't into me. Of course. Birdsong was in the horizon or here now. I would be an adult. Midas turned his head and locked eyes with the horizon. I turned mine as well to see what caught his attention. He spoke again which caused my expression to turn appalled. Who would look upon the regal Midas with hate? Mama would be displeased with those who behaved so coldly to others as I noted a few encounters with not-so-pleasant company. I shook my head, "Why would other horses be mean to you?"

The sudden unfurling of wings, and the sound of feathers gusting the air, my eyes trailed towards the avian as she fled the scene. I didn't ask what bothered her as I hardly knew what was expected.

OOC:
Word Count: 253

Laughing all the while

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

Though he struggled to say my name without extra embellishment, in the end my young friend succeeded. I disliked titles; they set men above their brothers in common conversation. Very rarely did my words call upon the benefits of honor that came with a crown—but most certainly not in front of kin. “Better,” I soothed when Marco finally dropped the ‘highness’ and reverence.

His surprise to my statement was warranted, possibly due to a tender age. “Hmm,” the serpents lay in our bed—they hissed and swept me over with their silted eyes. I was no snake charmer, and it was only a matter of time before one such reptile got the opportunity to bite.“It is a thing of little concern right now,” purposely I ended our conversation on that topic—we two weren’t gossiping mares. Instead interest shifted back to his standing in the herd, and how the young lad had begun to grow within this family, “Has ye begun training in a duty? And honing your battle skills?” Talking about spars and war was often easier than conversation on the politics of running a clan.

Besides, nothing could quite stomp the sweaty smell of two combatants locked in the heat of passion. A dance that was as old as courtship, beautiful and savage all at once; my lips curled into a high smile, pushing against whatever dreary ailment that had inflicted my mind, “Should ye need a dancing partner to further your training, consider me a willing one.”

Attack (0,3)
Word count 252

Unregistered

M A R C O

Midas's single word was soothing, or it could have been the way he had said it. He had a nice voice, and it was a blessing to hear it especially towards me. I knew he was musing upon the question though as his second single-word reply had been stated shortly after. I managed to control my mouth before I spilled anything else or even refer to my king with a title. I was worried I was stepping on some toes with it as I had a terrible habit of disregarding what one may feel towards a topic. Some preferred it left to those involved. I knew the feeling.

He transitioned into another topic where I was taken by surprise. I couldn't think of a noble reply. Of my contribution besides my own interests in exploration in foreign land. It turned out it wasn't about the rank I dedicated myself to - though it was lowly - instead, my thoughts trailed from peaceful to an idea of battle. The whole concept of violence was exciting, but I was openly concerned about how the peaceful life contaminated my chance to fall to blood lust at least once. I play-fought with other colts, but never did we draw blood. Injuring another added some twisted form of pleasure, but it was minor compared to my own shock. I wasn't quite sure how dancing compared to fighting to which I asked weakly, "Dancing? There's dancing in battles?"

I could have sworn battles involved clashing, gnashing teeth, and striking with hooves. Eyes rolled wildly, ears pinned back, and a lustful gaze for blood apparent in their expression. It was what I fantasized a multitude of times before, but now a chance to try was reality. My entire body shivered with both elation and fear at the thought of behaving like a warrior with action! Except I hadn't a clue with the concept at all. Stupidly, I glanced helplessly at my king - whom I still called king in my head unless he discovered a way to tell instantly, oops - like a young colt looking for advice from his mama. Why I felt embarrassed for it was beyond me, but I should behave more like a mature stallion. Yes, I really should.

"Uh," I said. "Do I charge or something?"

OOC: Getting closer to the battle O:
Word Count: 380

Laughing all the while

Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

Midas

His weak response was a question more than anything—and it became painfully obvious that the youth likely hadn’t trained a day in his short life. Or at least trained in a way that was meaningful. My smile is one not tight with teasing, it is gentle and understanding as I’ve always been. “Yar, as all things are.” Forelimbs stretched and carried this frame in a gracefully sidestep, moving to back up with banner flickering and feathers ruffling. The light of day shinned brightly all around us, and dust stirred as feet churned the earth. “Courtship is a dance, politics are a dance, but battle—has the most beautiful steps to learn.”

Honeyed gaze never left the colt, his darker eyes were my fixed point and I watched them steadily. When the lad voiced if he should be the first to come at me I paused midstep and settled heavily into the dirt, releasing a breath I’d been holding. “If ye can.” Wings slithered tighter, I held them snugly against my barrel. “Show me your steps.” Voice didn’t taunt him, lure him—instead it came across as smooth velvet, softer than the belly of a fawn. Eyes flicked to his shoulders, watching for signs of him to spring those muscles into action.

We stood across from each other, my body had grown still. Seemingly unmoving except for the occasional flick of hair or tail from a passing breeze. Limbs gave the appearance of locked position, but my tight chest should be clear warning that their hold could alter given the slightest reason. Ears perked high, eagerly listening for a catch or change of breath.

Attack (0,3)
Word count 274

Sevin the Sucky, I mean are you a # or vacuum? Posts: 161
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'5" :: 25
Sevin
Closing this since Marco was AAed.